Video: Garmin nüvi® Portable Navigators
by Crutchfield's Zak Billmeier and Ken Nail
I came to Crutchfield in 1999. During my six years as a Crutchfield Advisor, I learned a lot about the technology behind great car and home audio. I learned even more about what people wanted in their car stereo systems.
I've been a writer for car audio and fitness tech at Crutchfield since 2005. Over the last few years, I've also carved out a niche producing demo videos for our in-dash car stereos. The hands-on experience I get with car stereos while doing video production is an invaluable aid to me in learning about their exciting features. This helps me convey that information to our customers when I write about the stereo on our website.
Before coming to Crutchfield, I spent 10 years teaching music in Charlottesville area schools. I keep my musical interests satisfied by volunteering as a classical music DJ at a local community radio station, and I stay up to date with the latest in outdoor tech by cycling, running, and backpacking.
Fun facts: I've completed an Ironman triathlon, run the Boston Marathon, hiked 1150 miles of the Appalachian Trail, and lost on Jeopardy!
More about Ken
- Started at Crutchfield in 1999
- Completed our in-house Advisor training, learning all the details of every type of product we sell
- Attend dozens of vendor training events every year
- Authored dozens of Crutchfield articles and hundreds of product presentations, primarily focused on in-dash car stereos, plus outdoor tech like running watches and cycling computers
- Produced over 600 car stereo demo videos
More from Ken Nail
I've been a camera nut since I was a kid. I got really into it around age 12, when I got hold of a Pentax K1000 35mm camera. My father is a photo nut also, and we had access to a darkroom. Ever since then I have delighted in trying out new cameras, lenses, and photo techniques. Working here at Crutchfield, I get to handle all the new and cool camera gear I can get my hands on.
I'm also into audio, from car audio to home audio to headphones. I'm a music lover, and an eye-opening moment for me was discovering just how much more there is to musical recordings when you listen using high-quality gear. It's an experience I try to pass along to others as often as possible. I truly believe that having good quality gear in your car or home can really enrich your life.
I started getting into the video side of things early on in my Crutchfield career while I was a copywriter for car audio products. In those days our video program was just getting started, and many of us pitched in when our writing and editing duties allowed. Today, we have a dedicated team that makes hundreds of videos a year, including spotlights on products and product lines, how-to videos, videos that shine a light on our company, end everything in between. I am proud to be a part of that team and of the work we do.
My job is a lot of fun because I get to play around with all the cool stuff you see on our website while I'm making videos. Getting hands-on with the gear helps me see what I should show you about a product, and I look at our videos as a way of having a conversation with you when you are considering a purchase. If I do my job well, you should come away from a Crutchfield video understanding why you do — or don't — want that product. In the end, it's gotta be something you enjoy.
More about Zak
- Started at Crutchfield in 2007
- Began as a copywriter for Crutchfield.com before taking on the role of video production coordinator, which involves a rotating mix of pre-production work, acting as a backup producer during shoots, publishing, SEO research, and long-term planning
- Attends dozens of vendor training events each year
- As of 2019, has attended eight CES conventions as a Crutchfield reprentative
- Attended the NAB Post-Production World conference for video professionals
- Photographer, bass player, gardener, and he makes his own hot sauce
More from Zak Billmeier