About the Clarion CMS20
A hideaway hub for your music
A hideaway hub for your music
If you carry all of your music in your phone or other portable device, Clarion's marine-rated CMS20 digital media receiver is like a source unit and a media hub all in one. This compact package consists of a water-resistant dashboard controller and a hideaway "black box" that lets you create a system custom-tailored to your on-the-water entertainment needs.
Black box receiver
The CMS20's hideaway box contains a built-in AM/FM/Weather Band tuner, plus a USB port for your iPhone, and an auxiliary input. Built-in Bluetooth lets you stream music from just about any phone. You can also plug in a USB thumb drive or portable player and enjoy MP3 and WMA files you've ripped from your CD collection.
The CMS20 works with the SiriusXM tuner (not included), so you can enjoy the wide variety of entertainment provided by satellite radio up to 100 miles offshore. It even supports iTunes® Tagging, Artist Alerts, Song Alerts, Game Alerts and Replay to keep you current on the music, news, sports, and entertainment that matter to you.
Handy watertight controller
With the CMS20's "black box" installed, you can control everything from the IPX6-rated watertight wired controller. The compact (4-1/2" wide), robust design gives you maximum functionality and reliability, even in the tough marine environment. The dot matrix LCD black-on-white display lets you see what's playing and you can set it to show two, three, or four lines of text.
Start building your system here
The CMS20 is a terrific start toward building a great marine audio system. The receiver houses a built-in amp and you can access the 3-band parametric EQ through your wired remotes. You'll also appreciate the three pairs of preamp outputs when you add marine amps.
Terrestrial radio, anywhere you go
Clarion's powerful AM/FM tuner hauls in plenty of local radio stations, no matter where in the world "local" might turn out to be. You'll also be able to get the latest on changing conditions from the Weather Band.
Clarion invests thousands of hours into making their marine electronics tough enough to withstand salt water, heavy fog, blistering sunlight, and lashing rain. All that hard work leads to quality gear that's engineered to stand up to the extremes of a marine environment.
Bluetooth note: Use of this receiver's Bluetooth features will depend upon your phone's Bluetooth capabilities. Learn more in our article explaining Bluetooth profiles.
iPod/smartphone note: If you're going to use your iPod or smartphone with this receiver, be sure to check "Details" for compatibility information.
- hideaway marine digital media receiver
- package includes compact hide-away black box and compact controller
- Bluetooth music streaming with aptX®
- global AM/FM/Weather Band tuner
- iPod/iPhone Direct Control via USB
- plays MP3 and WMA files via USB
- switchable high-pass and low-pass filters
- 3-band parametric equalizer
- compatible with SiriusXM satellite radio tuner
- NMEA 2000 connectivity with optional MW6 module
- inputs: RCA audio/video input; USB port
- outputs: 6-channel preamp outputs (2-volt front, rear, sub)
- works with optional Clarion marine wired remotes
- low power consumption mode when powered off
- built-in MOSFET amp (20 watts RMS CTA-2006/50 peak by 4 channels)
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # 92707
What's in the box:
- Marine display controller
- Hide-away connection module
- Wiring harness
- 10' DIN cable
- Chrome Trim-ring
- Black trim-ring
- Mounting bracket
- Rubber cover
- 4 Screws
- 2 Threaded studs
- 8 Flange-nuts
- 4 Rubber sleeves
- Quick Start Guide
More details on the Clarion CMS20
Features & specs
|AUX Input||RCA (rear)|
|Backup Camera Input||No|
|Second Camera Input||No|
|Alexa Voice Control||N|
|Memory Card Slot||USB memory|
|Satellite Radio Ready||SiriusXM 2.0|
|RMS Power (CTA-2006)||20 watts|
|RMS Power (Manufacturer)||20 watts|
|Peak Output||50 watts|
|RMS Power Bandwidth||20-20kHz|
|Sub Preamp Outputs||Yes|
|Switchable Rear Preamp Outputs||No|
|Navigation App Compatible (iOS)|
|Navigation App Compatible (Android)|
|Preamp Voltage||2 volts|
|Key Button Color||White|
|Steering Wheel Control Compatible||No|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
|Radio Data System||No|
|Music File Playback||MP3, WMA|
Marine Tested: The Clarion CMS20 Marine Mechanism-Less Source Unit has been engineered and tested for use in the harsh marine environment. The unit meets or exceeds ASTM B117 Salt/Fog Exposure and ASTM D4329 UV Exposure standards. The CMS20 offers full IPX6 tested and certified Waterproof protection, providing water intrusion and salt protection. The CMS20 features a water resistance chassis and HumiSeal coated PCB to protect against corrosion.
Note: The CMS20's watertight commander is waterproof (XPX6). The hide-away commander unit is water resistant.
Hide-Away Box: The Clarion CMS20 includes a hide-away box which contains all of the system's hardwired connections. The hide-away module also contains the system 4-channel amplifier and AM/FM/Weather tuner. The hide-away box connects to the display controller via a 10' DIN cable.
Watertight Mechanism-less Commander: With the hide-away connection box installed in a water-protected area, you can control everything from the CMS20's wired watertight commander unit. Its simple design is void of any mechanisms to maximize reliability. The commander is equipped with a full-dot matrix LCD screen that provides clear and smooth text. Additionally, the display is designed to help your effortlessly navigate through radio presets, iPod/iPhone content lists, and USB music folders. Thee IPX6 tested front LCD panel offers superior resistance to the elements as well as glare reduction and anti-fogging characteristics. You can adjust the contrast of the unit's display from 1-8.
Wired & Wireless Remotes (Optional): The unit is equipped with a rear mounted 8-pin DIN connector to accommodate optional Clarion wired & wireless remote controls.
- Wired Remote: The MW1 (sold separately) is a hardwired remote control with an LCD screen. The MW4 (sold separately) is a more advanced wired remote with a 2.8" color LCD screen.
- RF Remote: The Clarion MF1 (sold separately) is a RF remote control which is waterproof and designed to float. The MF1 meets or exceeds ASTM B117 (Salt/Fog Exposure), ASTM D4329 (UV Exposure), and IP67 (International Protection Rating).
- WiFi Remote Module: The Clarion MF2 marine remote module (sold separately) features built-in WiFi and allows you to control the Clarion marine audio system via the free Clarion MF2 app on your Apple iOS 6.0+ device.
Note: In most cases an extension cable will be needed (item number 020MWRXCRT, sold separately). When two remotes are used in combination with one another, Clarion's MW-RYC-RET Y-adapter (sold separately) is required.
Optional NMEA 2000 Interface Module: Clarion's MW6 NMEA 2000 Compliant interface module (sold separately) allows Clarion marine source unit to be seamlessly added to your boat's onboard NMEA 2000 network, enabling control and two-way communication of the Clarion source unit directly from the boat's Multi-Function Display (MFD) device. Control functions include source and track selection, play/pause, and more. Two-way communication between the Clarion source unit and your MFD allows source selection, song/track/ album title, radio frequency and more to display on the MFD interface.
Optional USB/Aux Extension Cable: Use Clarion's 37" CCAUSBAV USB/Auxiliary extension cable (, sold separately) to extend the hide-away module's Aux input and USB port. The CCAUSBAV features a male USB (type-A) connector, a male composite video jack (not used), and male stereo RCA jacks on one end of the cable and a female USB (type-A) port and female 3.5mm jack on other end of cable. The female USB port and 3.5mm jack are covered by a pre-installed rubber cap making it usable for the marine environment. The female USB port and 3.5mm jack are designed to be flush-mounted using the pre-installed mounting collar.
Wireless Audio Streaming: The Clarion CMS20 supports wireless audio playback (AD2P 1.2) and control (AVRCP 1.3) of a Bluetooth-enabled smartphone or audio player, plus song/artist information display and support for aptX music streaming. You are able to wirelessly stream your stored music library, music apps, and other content on your Bluetooth source device to the CMS20.
- SBC + aptX Codecs: In addition to support for the standard SBC Bluetooth audio codec, the CMS20 incorporates the Qualcomm's lossless Bluetooth aptX codec (primarily for Android OS 4.0+ devices) which helps retain sound elements lost during digital compression of audio files, ensuring users the ability to always enjoy high quality sound with wireless convenience.
- Control & Display: You can control basic playback & search functions from the M608; including Play/Pause, FF/RW, Skip, and Random/Repeat (advanced music browsing requires the use of your Bluetooth source device). The head unit will display your stored music and music app's song information; such as Artist name and Song/Album title (not compatible with all apps).
- Simple Secure Pairing (SSP): With Secure Simple Pairing (SSP), you can easily pair a Bluetooth device to the Clarion CMS20 without having to enter pin codes or go through complicated settings. When a paired Bluetooth device is in close proximity to the CMS20, the auto connection function automatically pairs the two units. You can pair up to three Bluetooth-enabled devices to the CMS20, but only one can be used at a time.
Note: When an incoming call or outgoing call is in progress from your Bluetooth enabled phone, audio streaming will be paused so you can take your call. Once the call is finished, your streaming music will resume.
iPod/iPhone Direct Connection: The Clarion CMS20's USB port (located on the hide-away box) lets you connect select Apple iPods and iPhones for music playback. Simply use the cable that came with your iPod/iPhone device or an Apple certified cable (sold separately). The CMS20 supports audio playback, control, display, and charging of your compatible Apple device.
- Control: The CMS20 allows you to navigate your Apple device's music by Playlist, Artists, Album, Genre, Composer, Song, Audiobooks, or Podcast. These categories and music files inside these categories will be listed alphabetically. The CMS20 also controls Play/Pause, Previous/Next Track, Fast-Forward/Rewind, and Random/Repeat functions. You can also continue to use the touchscreen of your connected Apple device (running iOS 6.0 or newer) to access additional music apps and other playback options. Older iPods and iPhone's will be locked during connection.
- Display: The commander will display artist name, song title, and album title from your Apple devices stored music library and select music apps (not compatible with all apps).
- Charging: The USB connection provides 1A of current to power and charge your connected iPod/iPhone when your vehicle's ignition switch is set to the 'ACC' or 'On' position (if your iPod/iPhone has no initial battery charge, then the unit will not recognize it).
Apple Device Compatibility Chart: The Clarion CMS20 is "Made for iPod/iPhone" compatible and supports the following iPod/iPhone model features (as of 4/3/2018):
|Apple Device||Generation||Tested Version||Media Type||Control Type||Display Type||Bluetooth||Charge|
|Audio||Video||System||iPod/iPhone||Artist/Song Text||Track Info||Audio||Phone|
Note: Apple iPod/iPhone software updates may change functionality results. If you download a newer software version, you may need to reset the system and your iPod/iPhone to regain functionality. If this doesn't work, you may need to wait until a newer software update is available.
USB MSC Playback: The Clarion CMS20 features a USB (type-A) port that is located on the hide-away box. The USB port enables connection and control of a portable USB mass-storage class (MSC) device; such as select portable digital audio players or USB thumbdrives. The unit supports playback of MP3/WMA music files stored on a compatible USB memory device.
- Control: Control functions include Folder/File Search, Play/Pause, Previous/Next Track, and Fast-Forward/Rewind.
- Display: The unit will display song/artist/album information along with track number and elapsed playing time.
- Charging: USB portable audio players that can be charged via USB will be charged when plugged into the hide-away box's USB port (max. 1A), and the vehicle's ignition switch is set to ACC or On.
Note: The unit's USB port does not support connection of an Android OS device, USB hub, or card-reader.
Aux Input: The CMS20's hide-away box features a stereo RCA auxiliary input so you can connect an external audio source. The sensitivity of the aux input can be set (low, mid, or high) to match the output of the auxiliary source to the other sources.
SiriusXM-Ready: The Clarion CMS20 is SiriusXM-Ready and compatible with the SiriusXM Connect Vehicle Tuner (220SXV300 sold separately). The SiriusXM Connect Vehicle Tuner supports SiriusXM programming with access to 175+ SiriusXM channels via subscription; check out the most popular SiriusXM subscription packages here. Additional features of the SiriusXM Connect tuner include:
- Song/Artist/Album Display: Information such as Channel Name, Artist Name, & Song Title can be viewed on the display controller.
- Category Search: The Category Search feature lets you search for channels within a certain genre or category.
- Presets: You can store up to 10 SiriusXM Satellite Radio station presets for easier access.
- Replay & Jump: The Replay feature allows you to pause, rewind, and replay live SiriusXM Satellite Radio content from the current SiriusXM channel you are listening to. During replay you can also jump to a live signal of that same SiriusXM channel.
- Parental Lock: Channels containing unsuitable content for children can be blocked.
Note: A separate SiriusXM Satellite Radio subscription is required (operates on the XM Network). However, you can easily add this SiriusXM tuner to an existing Sirius or XM account for a Multi-Radio Discount Plan.
Global Radio Tuner w/ Weather Band: The built-in multi-band tuner supports reception of radio stations just about anywhere in the world - which is nice when you're sailing around the globe or just across the gulf. And with Weather Band you'll always have the latest weather updates, including automatic reception of emergency weather information to keep your voyage as smooth as possible.
- AM/FM Radio: The Clarion CMS20 is equipped with a
built-in AM/FM tuner offering manual, seek, and preset tuning. A total of 10 AM/FM station presets can stored; stations
can be stored manually or automatically. When Local seeking is
turned "On", only those radio stations with strong radio signal can be
received. This unit's tuner is initially set to USA frequency intervals, but
can be changed to Europe, Australia, and other countries tuning.
- USA: FM (87.9-107.9 MHz) / AM (530-1710 kHz)
- Europe: FM (87.5-108.0 MHz) / AM 531-1602 kHz)
- Australia/Other Countries: FM (87.5-108.0MHz / AM (531-1629 kHz)
- Weather Band: Weather Band channels include - CH1 (162.400MHz), CH2 (162.425MHz), CH3 (162.450MHz), CH4 (162.475MHz), CH5 (162.500MHz), CH6 (162.525MHz), & CH7 (162.550MHz).
MOSFET Amplifier: The Clarion CMS20 employs a MOSFET (Metal Oxide Semiconductor Field Effect Transistor) power amplifier capable of delivering 50W (Peak) x 4ch of high quality sound with superior linearity & less distortion than conventional power amps, even with the volume cranked up.
- CTA-2006 Specs: 20 watts RMS x 4 channels (at 4 ohms, 20Hz-20kHz, 1% THD-N)
- Maximum Power Output: 50 watts x 4 channels (200 watts total)
Note: The power specifications for the CMS20 are compliant with the CTA-2006 Mobile Amplifier Power Testing and Measurement standards from the Consumer Technology Association (CTA). These standards were developed as a way to equitably compare power specs from model to model and between manufacturers.
6ch/2V RCA Output + Sub Level Control: The Clarion CMS20 features 6ch/2V RCA line level outputs (Front/Rear/Sub). The non-fading subwoofer preamp output features an independent level control (0-14), as well as a variable low-pass crossover (80/120/180Hz) .
EQ: You can choose between 10 EQ presets - Flat, Jazz, Pop, Classic, Rock, News, Urban, Rave, Movie, Techno, and User. The User preset mode lets you manually adjust the system's Bass, Midrange, and Treble from -12 to +12.
Loudness: This function enhances low and high frequencies to make the sound clearer at lower volumes.
Key Beep: The Clarion CMS20 provides an audible beep to confirm button operation. This function can be turned On or Off.
Watertight Commander: The watertight commander should be mounted to a dry, clean, and flat surface; using the included mounting bracket and hardware. Ensure the integrated rear gasket is fully sealed to the mounting surface.
- Width = 4.5"
- Height = 3.4375"
- Depth = 1.3125"
Note: You can choose between a chrome or black trim-ring.
Hide-Away Box: The hide-away box should be installed in a dry, water-protected area. Select an area with sufficient ventilation for the mounting of the hide-away module in order to prevent the module from overheating. You may mount the module in a horizontal or vertical position. The hide-away module features integrated mounting flanges and included four mounting screws.
- Width = 8.3125"
- Height = 2.125"
- Depth = 7.5625"
Note: If the hide-away box is mounted in a vertical position, do not mount the box with the harness connection point directly facing up to prevent water collection in this area.
3 questions already asked