About the Yamaha RX-V585
Fresh home theater thrills
Fresh home theater thrills
Yamaha's RX-V585 lets you turn any living space into a home theater, and it even gives you a few options for expanding your system into other rooms. This powerful 7.2-channel receiver offers plenty of customization options for thrilling movie sound, plus it offers playback of several different high-resolution audio formats through its front-panel USB port or a networked computer. The 'V585 delivers a truly lifelike movie experience when you match it to a 4K Blu-ray player and Ultra HD TV. Dolby Atmos and DTS:X decoding give you 360-degree surround sound to match the stunning picture.
Wireless surround sound? Yes, please
Want fewer wires in your life? Add MusicCast 20 or MusicCast 50 wireless streaming speakers. This receiver allows them to be connected as wireless surround speakers in a 5.1 home theater system with traditional wired front and center channel speakers.
Flexible speaker configurations for a custom sound system
This receiver can power up to seven speakers. You can set up a standard 7.2-channel surround sound system, or you can go with a 5.2-channel setup and use the rear surround channels as height channels in a 5.1.2 Atmos system.
You can also use the receiver's rear surround channels to bi-amp your main front speakers for more powerful sound, or reassign them to set up a wired stereo system in a separate room. The audio in the second zone mirrors what you have playing in your main room, so you can enjoy your music as you move around the house.
A world of wireless listening options
Built-in support for streaming services like Spotify®, TIDAL, and Pandora® lets you play and control your favorite music directly through the receiver. Apple® AirPlay® 2 lets you stream from a compatible iOS® device, and Bluetooth adds even more streaming flexibility.
MusicCast lets you listen the way you want
Yamaha's MusicCast technology makes it easier than ever to set up a whole-home wireless music system. You can add audio playback in up to nine additional rooms with compatible Yamaha wireless speakers and sound bars.
MusicCast lets you stream music from your personal collection, internet radio, and streaming services. You can also play Bluetooth sources, sound from your TV, and even CDs and vinyl. The free MusicCast Controller app makes it easy to access your music and control what you have playing in different rooms.
"Alexa, turn up the volume"
Alexa voice control integration means you only have to ask when you want to play music, control volume, or turn the receiver on and off. Alexa can even help you link or unlink rooms in your multi-room MusicCast system.
Power and Processing:
- 7-channel amplifier
- 80 watts per channel into 8 ohms (20-20,000 Hz) at 0.09% THD, with 2 channels driven
- Dolby® and DTS® surround sound decoding
- Dolby Atmos and DTS:X™ for more enveloping home theater sound
- supports a 5.1.2 Atmos setup with multiple placement patterns for height channels
- upscales HD video signals to 4K Ultra HD
- MusicCast Surround lets you add MusicCast 20 or MusicCast 50 speakers to create a 5.1-channel setup with wireless rear surrounds
- YPAO (Yamaha Parametric Room Acoustic Optimizer) for automatic speaker calibration and more precise surround sound (microphone included)
- DSP modes add richness and depth to music and movie soundtracks
- Adaptive Dynamic Range Control limits the volume level on sound effects and commercials for more discreet late-night listening
Digital and Streaming Music Options:
- built-in Wi-Fi for listening to music from a networked PC, free internet radio, and music services
- Wireless Direct lets you stream music and control the player from a smartphone or tablet without a wireless home network
- Spotify Connect lets you play Spotify's streaming music library through the receiver via your smartphone or tablet (requires Spotify app and a premium subscription)
- MusicCast wirelessly connects compatible Yamaha components for whole home audio
- includes support for Pandora®, Spotify®, SiriusXM Internet Radio, TIDAL, Deezer, Napster and more
- free MusicCast app offers easy Wi-Fi control, settings adjustments, and music selection and playback
- works with Amazon Alexa-compatible voice control assistants
- built-in Bluetooth for wireless music streaming
- Apple AirPlay 2 for flexible streaming options with compatible Apple devices
- plays high-resolution digital music files via USB storage device or a networked computer (up to 32-bit/192kHz resolution)
- gapless playback of WAV, FLAC and ALAC files from USB thumb drives and networked computers
Audio Performance Features:
- four 32-bit/384kHz Burr-Brown digital-to-analog converters
- Extra Bass offers enhanced low-frequency response even with small speakers
- Virtual Cinema Front simulates surround sound effects when five connected speakers are all placed in the front of the room
- Ultra Low Jitter PLL circuitry reduces timing jitter from digital sources, for improved sound quality and imaging
- Compressed Music Enhancer improves sound quality of MP3s and other digital music files
- Surround Back speaker outputs can also be used to bi-amp compatible front speakers, as Zone B speakers in a second room, or as height speakers in a Dolby Atmos setup
- HDMI audio/video switching: 4 in, 1 out
- HDCP 2.2 technology ensures compatibility with 4K Ultra HD sources and TVs
- HDR-compatible for extended picture contrast and brightness with compatible 4K TVs and HDR-encoded content
- supports HDR10, Dolby Vision, and HLG
- composite video switching: 3 in, 1 out
- digital audio inputs: 1 optical and 2 coaxial
- 3 pairs of stereo RCA inputs
- front-panel USB port for audio playback from USB flash drives
- front-panel minijack (3.5mm) for connecting a smartphone or portable music player
- preamp outputs for two powered subwoofers
- no phono input to connect a turntable you'll need to add a phono preamp
- Ethernet port for network connection
- outputs for 7 speakers: Front L/R, Center, Surround L/R, Surround Back L/R
- 1/4" headphone jack
- free Yamaha MusicCast Controller app lets you use your Apple or Android device as a Wi-Fi remote
- 4K and 3D video pass-through
- four SCENE presets for one-touch power-up, source selection and DSP recall
- Audio Return Channel (ARC) function receives digital audio signals from a compatible HDTV's tuner or "smart" content via HDMI
- AM/FM tuner
- remote control
- 17-1/8"W x 6-3/8"H x 12-7/8"D (8-7/8"H with Wi-Fi antenna raised)
- weight: 17.9 lbs.
- warranty: 2 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # RX-V585BL
What's in the box:
- 7.2ch AV receiver
- Wireless remote control (RAV534)
- 2 "AAA" batteries
- YPAO microphone
- 2 WLAN/Bluetooth antennas (installed)
- AM loop antenna
- FM wire antenna
- Quick Start Guide
- Warranty information
- "Yamaha Worldwide Representative Offices" note
- Spotify Connect brochure
More details on the Yamaha RX-V585
Features & specs
High Quality Parts & Design: The Yamaha RX-V585 AV receiver features fully discrete power amplifiers to minimize distortion and adopts independent pure power supplies for the analog and digital circuitry. The RX-V585's seven-channel amplifier section is rated at 80 watts (into 8Ω, at 20-20kHz, with 0.09% THD, driving 2 channels). The receiver also houses four ultra-high performance 384kHz/32-bit Burr-Brown DACs with independent power supplies. These high-quality DACs support in reproducing audio for high resolution sound sources without noise. Moreover, a new high sound quality IC is employed for volume control and large heat sinks suppress vibration. Down to every detail, the Yamaha AV receiver is designed with full emphasis on the highest possible sound quality.
Amplifier Assignment: The Yamaha RX-V585 allows you to assign its seven amplifier channels for Surround Back speakers, Dolby Atmos speakers, Bi-Amped Front speakers, or Zone B speakers.
- Surround Back (7.1ch): Seven speakers are powered in the main room; including Front Left/Right, Center, Surround Left/Right, & Surround Back Left/Right.
- Dolby Atmos 5.1.2ch: A Dolby Atmos 5.1.2ch speaker configuration is based upon a traditional 5.1ch speaker layout (Front, Center, Surround) complemented by two Front Height, Overhead, or Dolby Atmos-enabled speakers. In this configuration, the receiver's Surround Back amplifier channels are used to power the Dolby Atmos speaker channels.
- Bi-Amp (5.1ch): Five speakers are powered in the main room (Front Left/Right, Center, & Surround Left/Right) with the Surround Back amplifier channels reassigned to bi-amp the front speakers. A bi-amplification connection uses two amplifiers for one speaker. One amplifier is connected to the woofer section of a loudspeaker while the other is connected to the combined midrange and tweeter section. With this arrangement, each amplifier operates over a limited frequency range, making its job easier.
- Zone B (5.1ch): Zone B allows the AV receiver to send 2-channel stereo audio to speakers in a second room. The main zone will be limited to 5-channel output (Front Left/Right, Center, & Surround Left/Right), while the same source is played back in 2ch stereo in a another room. Zone B always mirrors the audio output in the Main Zone. You can choose for the Main Zone & Zone B to share the same volume setting or have independent volume control. Multichannel sources are mixed down to 2-channels and output to the second listening area.
Wireless Surround: You can combine this AV receiver with the upcoming MusicCast 50 or MusicCast 20 wireless streaming speakers, as well as the MusicCast Sub100 wireless powered subwoofer (all sold separately) and enjoy the convenience of creating a home theater with wireless rear speakers in a 5.1-channel system. What's more, you get stunningly realistic sound with a clean, clutter-free setup.
Note: Wireless Surround requires that the AV receiver and compatible MusicCast speakers (sold separately) be on the same wireless network. You will need to download the MusicCast Controller app onto your Apple iOS 9.0+ or Android OS 4.1+ device for setup.
YPAO Sound Optimization: This unit employs the YPAO (Yamaha Parametric Acoustic Optimizer), which automatically adjusts the output of the speakers based on placement, performance, and the room's acoustic characteristics. Yamaha's YPAO system uses a small microphone and sophisticated equalization to automatically set the best sound for any room, no matter where the speakers are. First it checks the speaker connections and phase of each speaker. Then it sends out tones which are captured by the microphone to analyze the room acoustics and sets a variety of parameters; such as the speaker size, the distance of the speakers, and even the volume level; until it achieves the best sound conditions for your room. Using the supplied Optimizer Microphone, YPAO performs the following checks and makes appropriate adjustments to give you the best possible sound from your system:
- Speaker Check: YPAO checks which speakers are connected and the polarity of each, checks the frequency response of each speaker and sets the appropriate crossover frequency for each channel, checks the distance of each speaker from the listening position and adjusts the delay of each channel, as well as checks and adjusts the volume level of each speaker.
- EQ: Choose between 3 YPAO EQ modes - Natural (adjusts all speakers to a natural sound; useful when the flat setting sounds too bright), Flat (use when all the speakers in the system have similar sound characteristics), or Front (EQs the center and rear speakers to sound like the front; useful when your front speakers are better than the others in the system)
- DSP Effect Normalization: In addition, YPAO provides DSP Effect Normalization, which varies the Cinema DSP parameters according to the reflected sounds in the room.
Note: You can also choose to manually adjust the AV receiver's speaker, crossover, & EQ settings.
Compatible Digital Audio Formats: The AV receiver supports the following stereo & multichannel digital audio formats through its HDMI jacks and optical/coax digital inputs.
|Digital Audio Connector||Audio Signal Type||Audio Signal Format|
|HDMI (4 Inputs/1 Output)||High Definition Audio Bitstream|| Dolby Atmos, Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD |
DTS:X, DTS-HD Master Audio, DTS-HD High Resolution, DTS Express
|Bitstream||Dolby Digital, DTS, DTS-ES, DTS 96/24|
|PCM||2ch to 8ch (32-192kHz, 16/20/24-bit)|
|DSD||2ch to 6ch (2.8MHz, 1-bit)|
|Optical/Coaxial (1 Optical Input/2 Coaxial Inputs)||Bitstream||Dolby Digital, DTS, DTS ES, DTS 96/24|
|PCM||2ch to 6ch, (32-96kHz, 16/20/24-bit)|
Immersive Surround Sound: The Yamaha RX-V585 AV receiver goes beyond regular surround with the latest immersive surround sound formats, including Dolby Atmos & DTS:X.
- Dolby Atmos: The Yamaha AV receiver will enhance properly designed systems with Dolby Atmos where sound comes alive from all directions, including overhead, to fill the home theater with astonishing clarity, power, detail and depth. The RX-V585 has the processing power to run a more enveloping 5.1.2ch Dolby Atmos layout utilizing front-height, ceiling mounted, or Dolby Atmos-enabled speakers (sold separately). A 5.1.2 speaker configuration is based upon a traditional 5.1 speaker layout complemented by two Front Height, Overhead, or Dolby Atmos-enabled speakers.
- DTS:X: DTS:X is the next generation object-based, multi-dimensional audio technology from DTS. Unbound from channels, DTS:X conveys the fluid movement of sound to create an incredibly rich, realistic and immersive soundscape - in front of, behind, beside and above the audience - more accurately than ever before. DTS:X offers the ability to automatically adapt the audio to the speaker layout that best fits your space.
Post Decoding Formats: The Yamaha AV receiver supports Dolby Surround, Neural:X, and DTS Neo:6 (Music/Cinema) to enhance 2-channel and multichannel decoding formats.
- Dolby Surround: Dolby Surround offers an enhanced cinema experience to your 2ch and multichannel movie soundtracks using your existing 5.1ch, 7.1ch or Dolby Atmos speaker setup. Dolby Surround enhances audio definition by improving the spatial dimension and overall audio definition of movie soundtracks. It does this by using four distinct surround zones that provide greater control over the exact placement of each detail in a movie sound track, so audio can be matched more accurately to the video on screen; this means more depth and greater realism for your movies. As a result, individual sounds are clearer and more distinct. It also improves the surround sound experience across the entire theater by widening the listening "sweet spot".
- Neural:X: DTS:X incorporates Neural:X, the latest spatial remapping technology from DTS, which provides a fully immersive output for all types of source content; this includes DTS bitstreams and non-encoded (PCM) data. Neural:X delivers a thrilling sense of immersive sound to your speaker layout regardless of the original source format.
- DTS Neo:6: DTS Neo:6 is an advanced matrix decoder that takes any two-channel source (including television broadcasts, CDs and DVDs) and expands it into five or six channels. It also provides separate, optimized modes for stereo music materials and matrix surround motion picture soundtracks. DTS Neo:6 brings you a more revealing sound from ordinary stereo and a more expansive home cinema experience.
Cinema DSP Soundfields: This Yamaha proprietary soundfield creation technology was created by combining measured soundfield data with digital signal processing. Yamaha collected soundfield data from famous concert halls and music clubs around the world, utilizing its wealth of experience in the fields of concert hall design, public address, and mixing. Conventional multichannel audio reproduction systems base their sound on Dolby Digital and DTS decoding, using matrix and steering technologies to create surround sound effects. Yamaha Cinema DSP is much more advanced, creating immersive independent soundfields that envelop you in an unmatched surround sound experience. With dialog, music and effects ideally located in these separate soundfields, you will hear sound with accurate placement, smooth movement, exceptional clarity and richness, and realistic presence. It will seem as if the walls of your room have disappeared and you are in the middle of your own immense theater. The AV receiver offers a wide variety Cinema DSP programs for movies, music, and games (you can adjust the Cinema DSP effect levels).
- DSP Soundfields: Movie soundfields include Standard, Spectacle, Sci-Fi, Adventure, Drama, Mono Movie, Sports, Action Game, Role Playing Game. Music soundfields include Hall Munich, Hall in Vienna, Chamber, Cellar Club, The Roxy Theater, The Bottom Line, Music Video, 7ch Stereo\.
- DSP Parameters: You can change the receiver's CINEMA DSP effect level (level of the soundfield effect to be added). You can adjust the level of the soundfield effect from -6 dB to +3 dB. You can also adjust the delay between the direct sound and the presence soundfield (1-99ms), surround soundfield (1-49ms), and surround back soundfield (1-49ms). In addition, you can adjust the broadening effect (0.1-2.0) of the presence soundfield, surround soundfield, and the surround back sound field. You can even adjust the loss (0-10) of the presence soundfield, surround back soundfield, and surround back soundfield. Finally, you can adjust the delay time of the rear reverberant sound (1.0-5.0s), the delay between the direct sound and rear reverberant sound (0-250ms), and the volume of the reverberant sound (0-100%).
Cinema DSP Modes: The Yamaha RX-V585 AV receiver offers proprietary Yamaha Cinema modes so you can enjoy your movies and music even more in your home; regardless if you are using 5.1 speaker setup, only have a two-channel speaker system, or listening through headphones.
- Cinema DSP 3D: The actually measured soundfield data in
recorded soundtracks contain the information of the height of the sound
images. Cinema DSP 3D mode achieves the reproduction of the accurate height
of sound images so that it can create the accurate and intensive
stereoscopic soundfield in your listening room. With the power of Cinema DSP
3D technology and the Virtual Speaker Modes, the receiver can virtually
reproduce the height of the 3D soundfield without actually having front
presence or surround back speakers.
- Virtual Presence Speaker (VPS): With the power of CINEMA DSP 3D, the Virtual Presence Speaker function makes full use of center and surround speakers to create audible information from where presence (height) speakers are normally installed.
- Virtual Surround Back Speaker (VSBS): This receiver also features a Virtual Surround Back Speaker function. Even without using surround back speakers, you can experience more natural, lifelike sound from behind you without physical speakers being installed in the surround back area of the listening environment.
- Virtual Cinema DSP: Virtual Cinema DSP is an algorithm that allows you to enjoy DSP soundfield surround effects while using a minimal two-speaker system. Virtual Cinema DSP lets you enjoy the effects of Cinema DSP surround sound without using surround speakers (handy for use in custom installations where some rooms don't have surround speakers). It can be used with the front/center speakers or even with just the two front left and right speakers. This unit will switch to virtual Cinema DSP mode automatically when surround speakers are unavailable.
- Virtual Cinema Front: With Virtual Cinema Front, you will enjoy virtual 5-channel surround sound with higher quality and resolution by installing surround speakers at the front. You get more flexibility to arrange your speakers inside the room, along with easy enjoyment of high quality surround sound.
- Silent Cinema: Silent Cinema makes it possible to hear large-scale surround sound through ordinary headphones. This is a variation of Cinema DSP technology that Yamaha developed to let you listen in private to movies and other multi-channel sources for hours without listening fatigue.
HiFi Sound Modes: The Yamaha RX-V585 offers two HiFi audio modes which bypass the receiver's tone & DSP processing for higher sound quality performance. These HiFi sound modes lets you play back input sources without any soundfield effect processing. When either of these modes are enabled, each speaker produces its own channel audio signal (without soundfield processing). When playing back 2-channel sources, such as a CD player, stereo sound is heard from the front speakers. When playing back multichannel sources, the receiver produces unprocessed multichannel surround sound.
- Straight: 2-channel stereo sources are output from only the front left and right speakers, while multi-channel sources are decoded straight into the appropriate channels without any additional tone or DSP processing.
- Direct: Turns off the surround and tone circuitry, as well as deactivates the front-panel and on-screen display, allowing sources to bypass the decoders, DSP processors, and video circuitry of this unit so you can enjoy pure hi-fi sound from 2-channel or multi-channel sources.
ARC + eARC (via available Firmware Update): The ARC (Audio Return Channel) of the RX-V585's HDMI main monitor output allows the audio to be sent from your compatible HDTV to the RX-V585 through the same HDMI cable already being used to send audio and video to your HDTV. This eliminates the need for extra cables connected to your television. The Yamaha RX-V585 will even support eARC (Enhanced Audio Return Channel) via an available firmware update. eARC will offer support for uncomprerssed audio formats like Dolby TrueHD, Dolby Atmos, DTS:X, & DTS HD Master Audio - where standard ARC was limited to Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital Plus, DTS, DTS HD, and PCM.
Compressed Music Enhancer: Yamaha employs sophisticated digital signal processing with exclusive algorithms to enable playback that improves the performance of compressed music formats - including MP3, WMA, AAC, and Bluetooth (SBC/AAC). With the Compressed Music Enhancer, highs and especially lows are richer and smoother, bringing music back to life to be as close to the original as possible.
Dialogue Level & Lift: Dialogue Level Adjustment lets you control the volume of the vocal sound, so you hear movie dialog and music vocals at the ideal level for clear, comfortable listening. Dialogue Lift adjust the perceived height of dialogue sounds. If the dialogue sounds as if it in coming from below the TV screen, you can raise its perceived height by increasing this setting.
Dynamic Range Control: The Yamaha RX-V585 employs two Dynamic Range Control functions.
- Adaptive DRC: Adaptive DRC automatically adjusts the dynamic range of the sound according to the volume level. This ensures that you hear clear dialog, vocals, and all sound effects at comfortable levels. There is no need to adjust the volume level as you listen; everything from whispers to big explosions will be heard clearly and comfortably at the same volume setting. It also tones down loud TV commercials and is ideal for low-volume, late-night listening when you do not want to disturb others.
- Dynamic Range: The amount of dynamic range compression applied to bitstream signals is adjustable; Min/Auto is suitable for low volume listening, Standard is typical for home use, and Max doesn't compress the dynamic range at all.
Bass Management: The Yamaha RX-V585 AV receiver provides the following Bass Management settings.
- Bass & Treble: You can adjust the balance of the high-frequency range (Treble) and low-frequency range (Bass) of sounds output from the receiver' front left and right speakers to obtain a desired tone. You can independently adjust the bass (50Hz) and treble (20kHz) from -6dB to +6dB in 0.5 dB increments. The tone control of the speakers or headphones can be set separately.
- Extra Bass: You can select whether to play front channel low-frequencies through either the front speakers or the subwoofer, or through both the subwoofer and front speakers.
- Subwoofer Trim: The Subwoofer Trim control enhances the low frequencies by avoiding overlap with the front speaker output. This will result in a cleaner, more focused sound stage while providing a seamless frequency response. When subwoofer frequency overlap occurs in conventional systems, the overall sound is "pushed" toward the subwoofer. Subwoofer Trim takes care of this by separating the low subwoofer frequencies cleanly, thus stabilizing the front stage while providing a well-balanced enhanced bass sound.
Volume Setup: The Yamaha RX-V585 allows you to customize the receiver's volume levels.
- Volume Scale: You can choose to display the "Relative" volume scale (-80 to +16.5dB) or an "Absolute" volume scale (0 to 97).
- Max Volume Adjustment: Use this feature to set the receiver's maximum volume level. This feature is useful to avoid turning the volume too loud by mistake. You can set the Max Volume from -60dB to +15dB in 5dB steps, to +16.5dB, or to 20 to 95 in 5.0 increments.
- Initial Volume Setting: Use this feature to set the volume level when the power is turned on. You can choose between Off (same as the volume when the unit was turned off), Mute, and -80dB to + 16.5dB in increments of 0.5dB.
- Volume Trim: Use this feature to adjust the volume level of each input. This is useful to balance the level of each input to avoid sudden changes in volume when switching between input sources. The range is from -6dB to +6dB in 0.5dB increments.
Audio Outputs: The Yamaha RX-V585 AV receiver is fitted with binding post and spring terminals for the speaker outputs, along with a mono-Sub/LFE output and a front-panel headphone jack.
- Speaker Terminals: The receiver has binding post terminals for all speaker outputs. The binding posts can accept bare wire, pin connectors, and single banana plugs. You can select 8Ω or 6Ω in the menu depending on your speaker application. The amplifier supports 6Ω to 8Ω for all speaker connections.
- Dual Sub Outputs: The Yamaha AV receiver includes dual LFE (mono-subwoofer) outputs for connecting up to two powered subs (parallel outputs; not discrete).
- Headphone Jack: The Yamaha RX-V585 is equipped with a front-panel 1/4" headphone jack for connecting a set of headphones, so you can listen to your music privately. Connecting a set of headphones automatically mutes the receiver's speaker outputs. Sound effects applied during playback can also be heard through the headphones.
Front-Panel Aux Input: The RX-V585 features a front-panel Aux input (3.5mm) for connecting your portable audio player with a headphone output.
HDMI 2.0b: The Yamaha RX-V585 AV receiver is fitted with four HDMI 2.0b inputs and one HDMI 2.0b output that support the latest HDMI standards; such as 4K/60Hz, HDCP 2.3, 4:4:4 color subsampling, HDR (High Dynamic Range), and Wide Color Gamut (BT.2020) for full support of today's 4K content from Ultra HD Blu-ray, online video services (like Amazon & Netflix), and future TV broadcast services.
- 4K/60Hz: The RX-V585 supports up to 4K (3840x2160 pixels) video @ 60 frames per second on all of its HDMI inputs and output. It also supports a 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i, or 1080p video signal.
- HDCP 2.3: All of the receiver's HDMI jacks support HDCP 2.3 (available firmare update), which fully complies with the latest copyright protection standard for 4K video transmission.
- 4:4:4 Color Subsampling: The receiver also supports RGB, YCbCr 4:4:4, YCbCr 4:2:2, and YCbCr 4:2:0 color subsampling (@ 60Hz or 50Hz). With 4:4:4 color subsampling, luminance (brightness) and chroma (color) are sampled at the same rate; resulting in an RGB color palette as big as the video sampling rate for a video image with more colors, plus greater color accuracy and detail.
- Wide Color Gamut (BT.2020): The BT.2020 color standard delivers a much wider color gamut and represents about 75% of the total visual color spectrum, while the current Rec. 709 color standard selected as the color space for HDTVs and early generation 4K Ultra HDTVs covers only 35% of the total visual color spectrum.
Note: Use a premium high-speed 18Gbps HDMI cable for the best 4K/HDR performance.
HDR (High Dynamic Range): The Yamaha RX-V585 support HDR (high dynamic range) Video - including HDR 10, Dolby Vision, and Hybrid Log-Gamma. HDR (High Dynamic Range Video) provides enhanced picture quality by simultaneously enabling greater detail for both the dark and bright parts of an image. HDR reproduces a greater dynamic range of luminosity or brightness levels, creating greater contrast. This increased contrast reveals the subtle nuances of the image, from detailed blacks and shadows to the brightest whites and colors, plus greater depth.
- HDR 10: HDR 10 is an open standard and currently the most popular HDR format on the market. It uses static metadata at the start of a movie to tell the receiver and your TV that the video content is encoded using HDR.
- Hybrid-Log Gamma: HLG (Hybrid-Log Gamma) is primarily designed for live video feed and over-the-air broadcasts. It uses no pre-encoded metadata and is backwards compatible with SDR. HLG's native compatibility allows much of today's existing SDR infrastructure to be re-used for HDR in the future.
- Dolby Vision: Unlike HDR 10 which contains static metadata and HLG which uses no metadata, Dolby Vision uses dynamic metadata technology which sets individual color and brightness levels for each and every scene. Dolby works directly with filmmakers at major Hollywood studios to create superior HDR video masters of blockbuster movies.
HDMI Video Upscaling (up to 4K): The Yamaha AV receiver's video processor provides upscaling of 1080p HDMI video sources to 4K Ultra HD (3840x2160 pixels). The receiver does not offer analog-to-HDMI upconversion.
Other HDMI Features: The Yamaha RX-V585 AV receiver's HDMI connectivity also offers 3D video pass-through, Deep Color & x.v.Color support, as well as an auto LipSync function and Standby Through Mode.
- 3D Ready: The Yamaha RX-V585 AV receiver supports 3D video pass-through (720p/1080p only) from connected 3D-compatible Blu-ray, games and broadcast devices to 3D-compatible HDTVs (all 3D components must be connected via HDMI). Special eyewear will be required for viewing 3D content.
- Deep Color & x.v.Color Support: The AV receiver supports Deep Color and x.v.Color content, which can display a larger color range than standard-definition schemes. The result is a more lifelike, vibrant picture
- LipSync: This function adjusts the delay between audio and video output. You can do this manually or have the receiver set the LipSync function automatically. When connected to a TV via HDMI the receiver automatically adjusts audio output timing (0-500ms) if the TV supports an automatic LipSync function. You can also manually delay the sound output up to 500ms to synchronize it with the video image.
- Standby Through Mode: When the RX-V585 is in standby mode (power off), the Standby Through feature allows HDMI source signals to pass through the receiver to the TV. The HDMI input can be changed using the remote control. So, there's no need to turn on the AV receiver in order to switch HDMI sources.
Composite Video: The receiver features three composite video inputs and one composite video monitor output. These composite video jacks only support 480i video. The composite video inputs must be output via the composite video monitor output (there is no HDMI upconversion)
Background Audio/Video: The Background Video feature allows you to watch a video source while listening to a different audio source. With the RX-V585, you can select any video input (HDMI or analog) and listen to audio from any of the receiver's audio sources (including AM/FM tuner, Aux input, Network, or Bluetooth).
Wired or Wireless Network Connection: The Yamaha RX-V585 offers a wired (Ethernet) or wireless (WiFi) network connection to your home's network router. Either network connection gives the receiver access to DLNA music servers, AirPlay, MusicCast, and various online music services. The receiver also supports WiFi Direct for wireless connectivity between WiFi enabled devices without a router.
- Ethernet Jack: The Yamaha AV receiver is fitted with a RJ-45 Ethernet (LAN) port to connect the receiver to your home network. The Ethernet port provides the most reliable connection.
- Built-in WiFi: The AV receivers offers built-in dual-band (2.4 + 5GHz) WiFi (IEEE 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac) for a wireless network connection; WPS, WEP, WPA-PSK (TKIP), WPA-PSK (AES), WPA2-PSK (AES) security protection is supported. Wireless network setup can be done via WPS button, Access Point Scan, Manual Setting, PIN Code, or even through your Apple iOS device (7.0+).
- WiFi Direct: When using WiFi Direct, you can connect directly with other WiFi-enabled devices without using a wireless router. You'll be able to wirelessly stream a variety of music files to the Yamaha receiver without connecting to your home network. WiFi Direct completely bypasses your WiFi access point/router, so it's easy to set up. You'll continue to navigate your music and view song/artist information from your mobile device.
Note: Network setup requires that the receiver be connected to your TV via HDMI for display of the on-screen menu. The receiver's network setup cannot be accessed through its front-panel display.
Online Music Services: The Yamaha RX-V585 offers access to Internet Radio through built-in Airable by TuneIn; your Spotify account through Spotify Connect on your Apple iOS or Android device; and your Pandora, TIDAL, Amazon, SiriusXM, Qobuz, Napster, or Deezer music account through Yamaha's MusicCast Controller app.
- Airable by TuneIn: You can listen to Internet radio stations using Airable by TuneIn. Search worldwide internet radio content by Genre, Language, Location, Quality, Popularity, or do a keyword search.
- Spotify Connect: Anyone with a Spotify account (whether free or premium) can enjoy the wireless freedom of streaming the Spotify app (for Apple iOS or Android) to to the MusicCast-enabled device. All files on Spotify can stream up to 320kbps, which is MP3 quality.
- Pandora: Pandora is accessible through the Yamaha MusicCast Controller app for Apple iOS & Android. Pandora is personalized radio that plays music and comedy you'll love. Just start with the name of one of your favorite artists, songs, comedians or composers and Pandora will create a custom station that plays similar tracks. You can also rate (thumbs up/thumbs down) songs as they play, and Pandora will adapt stations to your feedback. You can even bookmark stations and easily switch between favorites.
- TIDAL: Tidal is accessible through the Yamaha MusicCast Controller app for Apple iOS & Android. TIDAL is a global streaming service that offers over 30 million songs in high-fidelity CD sound quality. TIDAL has two pricing tiers; either $9.99 or $19.99 a month. Both pricing levels allow you to access TIDAL's entire music library. The $19.99 tier has the added benefit of high-fidelity sound at CD-level quality.
- Amazon: Through an available firmware update, Amazon Music can now be accessed through Yamaha MusicCast. Enjoy Amazon Prime or Amazon Unlimited. Amazon Prime gives you access to 2 million songs with an Amazon Prime prime membership, while Amazon Unlimited gives you access to 50 million songs with with a $9.99 per month subscription.
- SiriusXM: SiriusXM Internet Radio is accessible through the Yamaha MusicCast Controller app and lets you listen to over 120 channels of commercial-free music, talk radio, news, sports, entertainment, and more. Subscription fees will apply.
- Qobuz: Qobuz offers the biggest catalog of Hi-Fi and Hi-Res albums in the world, both for new releases and specialized genres. For hundreds of thousands of albums, Qobuz includes all the information you need to recreate the appeal of a real CD - the names of musicians, producers, lyrics (everything you need to know to appreciate your favorite albums). Qobuz offers MP3, CD, and Hi-Res quality subscriptions.
- Napster: Napster is also accessible through the Yamaha MusicCast Controller app. This streaming music subscription service (starting a $10 per month) allows you to play the full-length songs you choose on demand from a collection of over 10 million songs, without ads and without having to purchase or download the music.
- Deezer: Deezer is an online music service offering over 43 million tracks starting at $9.99 a month and is accessible through the Yamaha MusicCast Controller app. Discover the perfect playlist or make your own, as well as browse curated collections by genre.
DLNA Certified: The RX-V585 is DLNA (Digital Living Network Alliance) 1.5 and Windows 7/8/10 compliant for audio networking. This means it's easier for you to access and enjoy digital music stored on your PC over your home network. You can use your PC to play high-bit rate music content through your audio system, or use the RX-V585 to browse and play music files on your hard drive. You can control playback of your streamed audio files from the AV receiver's remote control. The receiver also supports ID3-Tag and META tag information so song title, artist name, and album name can be displayed from the unit's on-screen menu (via HDMI).
- The AV receiver supports the following DLNA music servers - (1) PC with Windows Media Player 11 or later installed, (2) PC with DLNA/UPnP Certificate server software installed, (3) NAS with DLNA/UPnP certification.
- Supported music files include - WAV/FLAC/AIFF (up to 192kHz/24-bit), ALAC (up to 96kHz/24-bit), MP3/WMA/AAC (up to 48kHz/320kbps), and DSD (2.8/5.6MHz).
AM/FM Tuner: The Yamaha RX-V585 AV receiver features a built-in AM/FM tuner with manual, seek, and preset tuning. The RX-V585 lets you store up to 40 AM/FM station presets. This can be done manually or automatically (auto-preset tuning). You can set this receiver to automatically match FM broadcast frequencies in stereo, or convert the frequency to monaural for weaker stations. An indoor FM wire antenna and AM loop antenna are included with the receiver.
Web Control: When connected to your network (with Internet connection), you can control the Yamaha AV receiver with the web control screen displayed in your PC's web browser. You'll be able to control functions such as, Power On/Off & Volume. Internet Explorer 9.x, 10.x, 11.x, or Safari 7.x is recommended for web browser.
Firmware Updates: New firmware will be released for the purpose of additional features or product improvements. Firmware updates can be downloaded from the Yamaha website. If this unit is connected to the Internet, the receiver will indicate when a new firmware version is available and you can download the firmware via the network connection. Firmware updates normally take approximately 20 minutes or longer. Check Yamaha's Support Download Site for the most recent firmware updates.
AirPlay 2 with Siri: AirPlay 2 is an advanced and easy-to-use wireless multiroom audio platform for iTunes, Apple Music, and other compatible Apple iOS apps. With AirPlay 2 you can play any audio from your Apple iOS device (running iOS 11.4 or later) or Mac computer (running OS X 10.13.2) on the AV receiver and other compatible AirPlay 2 speakers throughout your home. You can choose to play audio in one room, play the same audio in grouped rooms, or play the same audio in every room. If you are an Apple Music subscriber, you can even play different music in different rooms (you can control and group directly from Apple's Music App and Home app on your Apple iOS device). You'll be able to ask Siri-enabled devices (like your Apple iPhone, iPad, or Watch) to control playback of your Apple Music content on the AV receiver. With AirPlay 2, you also get to see song/artist information and album art via the receiver's on-screen menu (via HDMI). You can even watch videos and movies from YouTube and Netflix on your compatible Apple iOS device or Mac computer with perfectly synced audio on the AV receiver.
Bluetooth Audio Streaming: The Yamaha receiver incorporates Bluetooth 4.2 A2DP/AVRCP, so you can wirelessly stream stored music & music apps from a Bluetooth-enabled device; like your Apple iPod/iPhone/iPad, Android smartphone/tablet, Windows Phone/PC, or Mac computer/laptop to the AV receiver. In addition to support for the standard SBC Bluetooth audio codec, the receiver offers support of AAC. By supporting AAC, the receiver offers better audio performance of music streamed from your Apple iPod/Phone/iPad. Song/artist information will be displayed on your HDMI connected TV's screen and the front-panel of the receiver. You'll you be able to control basic playback functions, like Play/Pause & Previous/Next Track from the receiver's remote; advance music browsing still has to be done from your Bluetooth source device. You can even set the receiver to turn on when you start streaming Bluetooth audio.
Note: Due to the differences in Bluetooth technology, some Bluetooth enabled devices may be incompatible, function improperly, or may not support all features when used with the Yamaha AV receiver.
USB Port: This AV receiver is equipped with a front-panel USB (type-A) port that allows you to enjoy a variety of music files stored on a USB mass storage class memory device, such as a USB thumbdrive or portable digital audio player (not compatible with USB HDDs). Your USB mass storage class device must be formatted in FAT 16 or FAT32. You can use the receiver's on-screen menu (via HDMI) and remote control to navigate your stored music files on your connected USB memory device. USB portable audio devices that can be charged via USB will be charged when plugged into the AV receiver's USB port (5V/1A); even in standby mode. Compatible music files include:
- DSD (2.8/5.6/11.2 MHz)
- AIFF/FLAC/WAV (up to 192kHz/24-bit)
- ALAC (up to 96kHz/24-bit)
- MP3/WMA/AAC (up to 48kHz/320kpbs)
Note: The receiver's USB port does not support Apple iOS and Android OS devices.
MusicCast Wireless Multiroom Audio Streaming: This AV receiver supports Yamaha's MusicCast multiroom audio eco-system, which allows you to wirelessly play back a wide variety of audio sources and content in multiple rooms of your home (additional MusicCast products sold separately). MusicCast works with your home's existing WiFi router and Yamaha's free MusicCast Controller app for Apple iOS 9.0+ and Android OS 4.1+. You'll be able to stream the receiver's tuner, inputs, Bluetooth, and network sources to other MusicCast products installed in your home. In addition, you'll be able to stream your MusicCast products' sources to the AV receiver. MusicCast supports the following source content.
- Analog & Digital Sources: The receiver's HDMI, optical/coaxial digital, and analog input sources can be played back over the MusicCast eco-system. Multi-channel content (5.1ch/7.1ch) is down-mixed to 2-channel sound for playback in other rooms without affecting the master room.
- Hi-Res Audio (via USB or DLNA): MusicCast supports Hi-Res audio via USB or DLNA. The MusicCast system is compatible with Apple Lossless (ALAC) up to 96kHz/24-bit, as well as FLAC and WAV music files up to 192kHz/24-bit. It also supports lower resolution music files like MP3, WMA, and AAC up to 48kHz. When multiple MusicCast devices are "linked" for multiroom audio playback, the Master room device's playback is at the native sampling rate (up to 192kHz/24-bit), while the other rooms and MusicCast devices down-converted to 48kHz.
- Online Music Services & Tuner: MusicCast offers support for Pandora, Spotify Connect, Tidal, Deezer, SiriusXM, Napster & Airable. In addition the receiver's AM/FM tuner can be distributed across multiple MusicCast speakers.
- Bluetooth: The receiver's Bluetooth source (SBC codec only) can be streamed to multiple MusicCast devices, so Bluetooth audio can be played in multiple rooms simultaneously.
- Up to 32 MusicCast devices and 10 groups can be connected to your home's wireless network (802.11 b/g/n/ac; 2.4 or 5GHz).
- If you want to install a MusicCast device to a location that is out of range of your wireless router, connect another MusicCast device to the router with a network cable to extend the range ("Extend Mode").
Zone B: Zone B allows the AV receiver to send 2-channel stereo audio to speakers in a second room. The main zone will be limited to 5.1-channel output, while the same source is played back in 2ch stereo in a another room. Zone B always mirrors the audio output in the Main Zone. You can choose for the Main Zone & Zone B to share the same volume setting or have independent volume control. Multichannel sources are mixed down to 2-channels and output to the second listening area.
Note: Zone B does not allow you to play a different source than the main zone.
MusicCast Controller App: The free MusicCast Controller app (for Apple iOS 9.0+ and Android OS 4.1+) puts control of your whole home listening experience in the palm of your hand from your compatible Apple iOS or Android device. You'll be able to quickly select the room or rooms you want to listen to music in, select the source or sources you want to listen to, browse music content from your music library and online music services or Internet Radio, plus control music playback functions.
- Rooms: Choose which room or rooms you want to listen to music in. You can select a different source for each room, group certain rooms together for playback of the same source, or link all rooms together so the same source is played back throughout the house.
- Source Selection: From the app you can select which source or sources you want to listen to; choose from network-connected devices, select online music services, Internet Radio, Bluetooth; as well as analog & digital inputs - including HDMI & USB.
- Music Browsing: You can browse music libraries from your network-connected devices; like your smartphone, tablet, computer, or laptop. You can also browse music content from select online music services and search Internet Radio stations from the MusicCast Controller app. You can also browse music files on your USB-connected thumbdrive.
- Playback & Song/Artist Info: From the MusicCast Controller app on your compatible Apple iOS or Android device you get Volume Up/Down, Play/Pause, and Previous/Next Track; as well as song/artist information and album art.
- Favorites: Internet radio stations, content from select online music services, plus playlists and songs from your network-connected device's music library can be saved as "Favorites" for quick recall within the MusicCast Controller app.
- Personalization & Customization: With the app's unique personalization features, you can choose from preloaded room images or change the color of buttons to represent each room in the home, or even take pictures of their own home and assign the images to each button. The content source buttons can also be customized to rename, remove or reorder selections for easier operation.
Alexa & Google Voice Control: Alexa and Google Home enabled devices (sold separately - see Accessories Tab) are able to control key functions of Yamaha's MusicCast system using voice commands. With Alexa & Google Home voice control integration, all you have to do is ask. The RX-V585 offers full compatibility with Amazon's and Google's range of voice control devices. Yamaha offers two Skill platforms that work hand-in-hand to give you a wide range of voice command possibilities, allowing you to control either a single MusicCast product or a whole MusicCast system. The Yamaha RX-V585, other MusicCast components, and Alexa/Google-enabled devices must be on the same WiFi network.
- MusicCast Smart Home Skill: The MusicCast Smart Home skill supports the most common, everyday voice commands you would use to control a single MusicCast component. These basic commands include power on/off, volume control, play/pause/skip/previous, mute/unmute and input selection. This skill supports simple, Alexa and Google standardized commands such as "Alexa" or "Ok Google", "turn up volume in the Kitchen." Through an available firmware update, you'll also be able to ask Alexa (not Google) to play specific songs/artists/albums on Amazon Music, Spotify, Pandora, iHeart, TuneIn, and Deezer.
- MusicCast Skill: The MusicCast skill goes beyond the basics, giving you enhanced control of unique MusicCast functions such as room linking, multiple room control, playback of MusicCast Favorites/Playlists and more. The commands are customized for MusicCast, for example "Alexa" or "Ok Google", "ask MusicCast to link the Kitchen with the Living Room."
- Echo Source Input: In addition or alternatively, an Echo device can be used as a music/audio source for a MusicCast system. All MusicCast devices offer a Bluetooth input. Just pair your Echo device with any MusicCast component and the sound will play from the MusicCast device. Many MusicCast products also offer inputs which can be connected to Echo Dot via its line output, if a wired connection is preferred over Bluetooth. Using the MusicCast Controller app, you can select the Bluetooth or wired input and link multiple MusicCast devices for playback, allowing you to hear sound from Echo Dot throughout your home.
Josh.ai Smart Home Voice Automation: An elevated voice agent for the high-end smart home, Josh.ai offers flexible voice control for nearly any aspect of your day-to-day experience and entertainment environment. Use voice commands to control the Yamaha AV receiver, thermostat, lights, home appliances, powered speakers, and more. Josh.ai is installed by custom integrators and accessed through the Josh - Home Automation app on your Apple iOS 11.1+ or Android OS 4.4+ device.
AV Controller App: Download Yamaha's free AV Controller App (for Apple iOS 9.0+ and Android OS 4.1+) onto your compatible smartphone or tablet and turn your mobile device into a WiFi enabled remote control for the Yamaha AV receiver. Your Apple iOS or Android device must be connected to the same home network as the Yamaha AV receiver.
- Basic Remote Functions: The AV Controller App provides the flexibility to control input, volume, mute and power commands from your compatible Apple iOS or Android device.
- DSP Controller: You can use the AV Controller App to adjust DSP soundfields & parameters to your preference to match the type of music/movie or the mood you want to achieve. There are two modes - (1) Basic, which lets you adjust the sound space by simply pinching the screen in-and-out; and (2) Advanced, which allows detailed adjustment of various parameters such as reverb, initial delay, and liveness.
- Internal Content Browsing: Using this app on your Apple iOS or Android device, you can browse and listen to content from all internally available sources; such as Internet Radio, Pandora, Spotify, USB devices, and the AM/FM tuner.
- Wireless Music Streaming: From the app, you can browse music stored on your Apple iOS or Android device and wirelessly transfer the content to the Yamaha A/V receiver for playback.
- Blu-Ray Player: This App not only controls the Yamaha AV receiver, it also controls Yamaha Blu-ray Disc Players, supporting various functions including Play/Pause, Stop, Fast Forward/Rewind, and Previous/Next Track.
AV Setup Guide App: Download Yamaha's AV Setup Guide App (for Apple iOS 6.0+ and Android OS 4.0.3+) onto your compatible Apple iOS or Android device for assistance with connecting cables between the Yamaha AV receiver and your source devices as well as AV receiver setup. This app guides you through various settings including speaker connections, TV and source device connections, plus assigning the power amplifier. Once you have completed the setup guide, settings from this app will automatically be copied to your network-connected AV receiver for quick and easy setup.
Remote Control: The receiver comes with an IR remote control for wireless operation of this receiver and other HDMI-connected sources (via HDMI CEC). This newly designed remote control features large buttons for enhanced ease of use.
HDMI-CEC (Consumer Electronics Control): The Yamaha AV receiver supports HDMI-CEC, which synchronizes the operation of this unit with other HDMI-CEC devices when connected via HDMI. When the AV receiver is connected to a HDMI-CEC compatible TV, they will turn ON/OFF together and you can use the TV remote to control the volume of the receiver. HDMI-CEC also provides playback functionality with other components, such as your Blu-ray player. For example, you can use the receiver's remote control to operate player functions like Play/Pause, Fast Forward/Rewind, Previous/Next Track, or Stop.
Note: Not all HDMI-CEC compatible components and functions are guaranteed to work.
On-Screen Menu: The RX-V585 offers an on-screen menu system via its HDMI output. This clean and simple interface makes setup and other operations extremely easy. If your TV is connected to the composite video monitor output, you will need to use the AV receiver's front-panel display when changing settings. You can set the receiver's on-screen menu language to English, French, Spanish, German, Italian, Russian, or Chinese. The front-panel display only offers English.
Note: Initial setup requires that the receiver be connected to your TV via HDMI for display of the on-screen menu. Many of the receiver's setup functions can only be found via the on-screen menu and not the front-panel display.
Scene (for One-Touch Start): The RX-V585 features four Scene buttons on the front-panel and remote to make operating the receiver easier. Pressing a Scene button will automatically launch a number of operations that initiate play of the source controlled by that button; such as powering on the receiver, switching to the appropriate source input, and recalling the selected DSP surround mode.
Input Rename & Skip: The receiver automatically creates an input source name that is displayed on the front-panel screen for connected HDMI-compatible sources. You can also manually rename each input so the display reflects the actual source. If an input isn't being used, you can hide it from the display so you don't have to scroll past it when you change sources.
Display Dimmer: You can set the brightness of the front-panel display from -4 to 0.
ECO Mode: When the ECO Mode is enabled, you can reduce the receiver' power consumption by keeping the maximum volume, maximum output power, and front display's brightness low. ECO mode reduces power consumption by approximately 20%.
Timers: The receiver offers a programmable Sleep Timer and Auto Power Down function.
- Sleep Timer: The receiver's Sleep Timer function can be set turn the unit automatically off after 30, 60, 90, or 120 minutes.
- Auto Power Down: If you don't operate the receiver or use the remote for an extended period of time, the unit will automatically go into standby mode (Auto Power Down function). The Auto Power Down feature is selectable from 2, 4, 8 or 12 hours. The unit can also be set to power down if it does not detected an input signal for 5 or 20 minutes.
Memory Guard: This feature is used to prevent accidental changes to the DSP program parameter values and other system settings.
The Yamaha RX-V585 replaces these items
- 7-channel amplifier; 80 watts per channel with 2 channels driven
- built-in Wi-Fi for listening to music from a networked PC, free internet radio, and music services
- free Yamaha AV Controller app lets you use your Apple or Android™ device to stream music and control playback, even without a home network
Q Crutchfield asked: Why did you buy this?
5 questions already asked