About the Yamaha YAS-109
A customer favorite gets an upgrade
A customer favorite gets an upgrade
Yamaha's YAS-109 has a streamlined design that looks great whether it's wall-mounted or sitting on a stand.
Yamaha's sound bars have consistently impressed us, and their budget-friendly bars are no exception. The YAS-109 has everything customers loved from the previous models — some of the most popular bars we've carried in recent years — and it adds voice control.
Onboard amplification powers six drivers, including a pair of built-in ported subwoofers that deliver more bass than you'd expect from such a slim bar, especially at this price point. But if you want even more low-end rumble, there's a dedicated output for adding on a separate powered sub of your choice.
Alexa, how's the weather?
The YAS-109 has Amazon Alexa built-in so if you want to play your favorite Spotify® playlist on the bar, all you have to do is ask. And Alexa can do more than just play some tunes. Plan your day with weather and traffic updates. Create a shopping list, set reminders or alarms, and control connected smart home devices like lights and thermostats — all with your voice.
Hear it all
Sometimes I have to rewind movies and TV shows because I didn't catch what the actor just said, and I'm sure I'm not alone. It can be hard to hear dialogue over the background noise. That's where Yamaha's Clear Voice processing comes in handy — it brings speech to the forefront so that dialogue is easier to hear and understand.
And right next to "Clear Voice" on the remote control, you'll find a button for "3D Surround." This enables the bar's simulated surround sound via a technology called “DTS Virtual:X.”
How does DTS Virtual:X work?
Many sound bars simulate Dolby Atmos or DTS:X by bouncing sound off your walls and ceiling. That's not what's happening here. Instead, DTS Virtual:X almost completely relies on digital sound processing.
DTS uses what they call "spatial audio techniques" to make it seem like the sound is all around you. Incredibly sophisticated audio delays and adjustments create a larger, wider soundstage. That includes overhead atmospheric effects like leaves rustling on a tall tree or birds chirping above.
Check out Jeff Miller's article "What is DTS Virtual:X?" for more details.
Options for music
The YAS-109 can handle your tunes, too. You can use Bluetooth® or Wi-Fi to wirelessly stream music, audiobooks, or podcasts from compatible devices directly to the sound bar.
- two-channel sound bar with simulated surround sound
- two 1" dome tweeters
- two 2-1/8" cone midrange drivers
- two 3" cone woofers
- built-in amplifiers: 30 watts x 2 for front left and right drivers, 60 watts for bass drivers
- built-in voice control with Amazon Alexa
- gives you voice control over music features and volume
- access weather reports, set timers, generate to-do lists, issue smart home commands, and more
- DTS Virtual:X digital sound processing
- emulates object-based surround sound like DTS:X and Dolby Atmos
- simulated surround and height-channel speakers create a spacious, lively soundstage
- built-in Bluetooth and Wi-Fi for wireless music streaming from compatible devices
- Dolby® Digital and DTS decoding
- Clear Voice mode for clearer, louder dialogue with movies and shows
- listening modes: music, TV, movie, sports, and game
- auto lip-sync reduces latency between video and audio
- 35-1/16"W x 2-3/16"H x 5-1/4"D
- weight: 7.5 lbs.
Connections and general info:
- 1 HDMI input, 1 HDMI output
- HDMI connections support 4K video with high dynamic range (HDR), 3D video, Audio Return Channel, and HDMI-CEC
- optical digital audio input
- mono RCA subwoofer output for adding your own powered subwoofer
- Ethernet port for wired network connection
- free downloadable Sound Bar Controller app for Apple® and Android™ lets you control the bar via Bluetooth with your smartphone
- keyhole slots for wall-mounting
- dimensions when wall-mounted: 35"W x 5-1/8"H x 2-1/2"D
- remote with subwoofer volume control
- warranty: 2 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # YAS109BL
What's in the box:
- Active soundbar speaker
- 6' AC power cord
- Remote control (CR2025 3V battery (installed)
- 5' Optical digital cable
- 2 Spacers
- Quick Start Guide
- Wall-Mount Template
- Product Registration
- Safety Brochure
- Warranty Information
- Contact Information
More details on the Yamaha YAS-109
Features & specs
|Number Of Channels||2.1|
|Virtual Surround||3D Surround|
|Optical Digital Inputs||1|
|Coaxial Digital Inputs||None|
|HDMI ARC Input||Yes|
|HDMI eARC Input||No|
|3.5mm Stereo Analog Inputs||None|
|RCA Stereo Analog Inputs||None|
|USB Type-A Input||No|
|Tweeter||1" Dome (2)|
|Midrange||2.125 Cone (2)|
|Woofer||3" Cone (2)|
|System Frequency Response||63-23k Hz|
|Sound Bar RMS Power||120|
|Subwoofer RMS Power||N/A|
|HDMI Video Pass-through Resolution||4K|
|HDR Video Compatible||HDR10, HLG|
|Voice Control||Alexa built-in|
|Control by App||Apple iOS, Android|
|Remote IR Passthrough||No|
|Learns TV Remote||No|
|Bluetooth Connectivity||Built-in 4.2|
|Files on Your Network||No|
|Built-in Wi-Fi Version||802.11 b/g/n|
|Mounting Bracket Included||No|
|Sound Bar Size (inches)||2-3/16H x 35-1/16W x 5-1/4 D|
|Sound Bar Weight||7.5 lbs|
|Subwoofer Size (inches)||No Subwoofer|
|Speaker Parts Warranty||2 Years|
|Speaker Labor Warranty||2 Years|
|Amplifier Parts Warranty||2 Years|
|Amplifier Labor Warranty||2 Years|
2.1ch Active Soundbar Speaker: The Yamaha YAS-109 active soundbar speaker features a 2.1ch driver configuration with one 1" dome tweeter and one 2.125" mid-woofer for each of the left & right channels, as well as dual 3" subwoofers for the LFE channel. The YAS-109 delivers 120-watts of power to the enclosed drivers - 30 watts to each of the left & right channels and 60 watts to both subwoofers.
- Clear Voice: Clear Voice raises the level of dialog and narrations while maintaining overall sound quality. Movies and TV shows, sports commentary and news broadcasts are more clearly audible.
- Built-In Subwoofers w/ Bass Extension: The YAS-109 is equipped with dual, built-in 3" subwoofers plus a unique bass reflex port and "Bass Extension" processing to deliver exceptional low-end performance without the need for a separate powered subwoofer. You can adjust the level of the built-in subwoofers independently from the soundbar's overall volume.
Note: The Yamaha YAS-109 does not include a separate powered subwoofer.
Dolby Digital & DTS Compatible: The Yamaha YAS-109 soundbar decodes 2ch PCM, multi-channel PCM, Dolby Digital, & DTS audio signals. You can listen to these audio formats in DTS Virtual:X mode (with vertical and horizontal surround effects), Virtual Surround mode (with horizontal surround effects only), or 2ch Stereo mode (no surround effects). The 2ch Stereo mode is ideal for music, while the Virtual Surround mode provides surround effects for movies, and the DTS Virtual:X provides an even more immersive surround sound effect for movie soundtracks.
|Digital Audio Connector||Audio Signal Type||Audio Signal Format|
|HDMI||Bitstream||Dolby Digital, DTS|
|Multichannel Linear PCM||6ch, 32-96kHz, 16/20/24-bit|
|2Ch Linear PCM||2ch, 32-96kHz, 16/20/24-bit|
|Optical||Bitstream||Dolby Digital, DTS|
|2Ch Linear PCM||2ch, 32-06Hz, 16/20/24-bit|
DTS Virtual:X 3D Surround: In addition to the standard Virtual Surround mode which provides virtual surorund from horizontal directions, the YAS-109 supports DTS Virtual:X which adds virtual height effects for a more immersive surround sound experience. DTS Virtual:X can be used with any content (from 2ch to 5.1ch soundtracks), while delivering virtual height & virtual surround processing based on psychoacoustics (not reflective surfaces). You can select between different DTS Virtual:X & Virtual Surround modes - TV Program, Movie, Music, Sports, & Game.
Compressed Music Enhancer: The Compressed Music Enhancer restores frequency response lost during digital compression, so your music sounds the way it should. Optimized for Bluetooth audio transmission, you'll enjoy vivid, lively sound quality during wireless playback. When a compressed source is played, the Compressed Music Enhancer engages automatically.
HDMI 2.0a: The Yamaha YAS-109 is outfitted with one HDMI input and one HDMI ARC output that support HDMI 2.0a standards; such as 4K/60Hz, HDCP 2.3, 4:4:4 color subsampling, & HDR (High Dynamic Range) for support of today's 4K content from Ultra HD Blu-ray & online video services (like Amazon & Netflix).
- 4K/60Hz Pass-Through: The YAS-109 supports up to 4K (3840x2160 pixels) video @ 60 frames per second through its HDMI input and output. It also supports a 480i, 480p, 720p, 1090i, or 1090p video signal.
- HDCP 2.3: The HDMI input and output also support HDCP 2.3, which fully complies with the latest copyright protection standard for 4K video transmission for Blu-ray, satellite/cable, and online.
- HDR 10 (High Dynamic Range): High Dynamic Range video provides enhanced picture quality by simultaneously enabling greater detail for both the dark and bright parts of an image. HDR reproduces a greater dynamic range of luminosity or brightness levels, creating greater contrast. This increased contrast reveals the subtle nuances of the image, from detailed blacks and shadows to the brightest whites and colors, plus greater depth. The YAS-109 support HDR10 and HLG (does not support Dolby Visions).
- 4:4:4 Color Subsampling: The HDMI input and output support RGB/YCbCr 4:4:4, YCbCr 4:2:2, and YCbCr 4:2:0 color subsampling (@ 60Hz or 50Hz). With 4:4:4 color subsampling, luminance (brightness) and chroma (color) are sampled at the same rate; resulting in an RGB color palette as big as the video sampling rate for a video image with more colors, plus greater color accuracy and detail.
Note: Use a premium high-speed 18Gbps HDMI cable for the best 4K/HDR performance.
ARC (Audio Return Channel): This feature of the YAS-109's HDMI output allows audio to be sent from your compatible TV to the soundbar through the same HDMI cable already being used to send audio and video to your TV. This eliminates the need for extra cables connected to your television.
Note: Because with some televisions, the ARC-enabled HDMI input will only pass 2ch PCM from devices connected to the TV via HDMI or analog, we recommend that you connect your Blu-ray player or Satellite/Cable box to the Yamaha soundbar directly; and then connect the YAS-109's ARC-enabled HDMI output to your TV's ARC-enabled HDMI input. This setup will give you the best overall sound performance.
Digital Audio Inputs: In addition to HDMI connectivity, the YAS-109 is outfitted with an optical (toslink) digital input that supports 2Ch PCM, 5.1ch Dolby Digital, and 5.1ch DTS audio signals (up to 24-bit/32-96kHz).
- The digital optical output terminals of some flat-panel TVs only send an audio signal in 5.1ch when receiving Dolby Digital/DTS surround sound from the TV's built-in tuner, network connection, or connected USB device; and will output only 2ch stereo from sources connected to the TV via HDMI, or RCA (like your Blue-ray/DVD player or satellite/cable box).
- There is no analog input on this soundbar.
Sub Out: A mono-RCA subwoofer output lets you hook up an optional powered sub (sold separately). The soundbar's built-in subs will continue to produce sound along with the external power sub.
Network & Bluetooth Audio
Wired or Wireless Network Connection: The Yamaha YAS-109 features an Ethernet (RJ45) LAN port and built-in 2.4GHz WiFi (802.11 b/g/n) for a wired or wireless network connection to your home's network router and internet service provider. Either network connection provides access to Alexa voice control, Amazon Music, Spotify Connect, and local network music files.
Alexa-Enabled Streaming Services: As of August 2019, Amazon Music & Spotify are supported via Alexa voice control (subscription and service fees will apply) through the Yamaha YAS-109. *Other music services may be added in the future. Using only your voice and Alexa, you are able to select between music services; choose between artists, songs, playlists, and stations; as well as control volume level.
Note: The YAS-109 does not support all of the Alexa-enabled music services and does not support multiroom audio distribution.
Spotify Connect: The integration of Spotify Connect will enable Spotify Premium users to instantly select and wirelessly stream music to the Yamaha soundbar system from within the Spotify app (Apple iOS or Android). Spotify is a digital music service that gives you on-demand access to one of the largest music libraries in the world (over 15 million tracks and counting). Spotify makes it easier than ever to discover, manage, and share music with your friends. You can browse music by artist, album, track, or most popular; and create your own music library with customized playlists.
Network Music Files: Through its wired or wireless network connection and Yamaha's Sound Bar Controller app (for Apple iOS 9.0+ and Android OS 5.0+), you are able to stream stored music files on your compatible mobile device, Windows PC (7/8/10), media servers, or NAS drive to the Yamaha YAS-109 soundbar speaker system. Compatible music files include - WAV/FLAC (up to 192kHz), ALAC (up to 96kHz), and MP3/WMA/AAC (up to 48kHz).
Bluetooth Audio Streaming: The Yamaha YAS-109 soundbar speaker system features built-in Bluetooth 4.1 with support wireless audio streaming (A2DP). You'll be able to stream stored music, music apps, and other audio content from your Bluetooth-enabled device (such as your smartphone, table, laptop, or computer) to the YAS-109 soundbar speaker system. You will continue to navigate your music and view song/artist/albums information from your Bluetooth-enabled source device. The soundbar system has a Bluetooth wireless range of approximately 33'.
- Pairing: This unit pairs with your Bluetooth-enabled device with a single press of a button. If a Bluetooth device has been paired before, the unit will connect to the last paired device when the soundbar's Bluetooth source button is pressed. You will need to terminate this connection to pair a new device.
- SBC + AAC Codecs: In addition to support for the standard SBC Bluetooth audio codec, the Yamaha soundbar speaker offers support of AAC. By supporting AAC, the YAS-109 soundbar offers better audio performance of the music streamed from your Apple iPod, iPhone, or iPad.
- Bluetooth Standby: The Bluetooth Standby function allows you to turn On or Off the soundbar automatically, linked with the operation of a Bluetooth device.
- The YAS-109 does not support Bluetooth hands-free communication for making or answering phone calls.
- Due to the differences in Bluetooth technology, some Bluetooth enabled devices may be incompatible, function improperly, or may not support all features when used with the Yamaha YAS-109.
Alexa Voice Control: The YAS-109 offers Alexa voice control with a built-in two microphone array for easy control of the soundbar, smarthome devices, music and more. With Alexa, you can ask to play music, hear the news, check weather, control smart home devices, and more. Alexa can perform the following specific soundbar operations with the proper voice commands - switch input sources, select streaming music services, and adjust or mute the volume level. You can activate Alexa by simply saying "Alexa" or by pressing the "Alexa" button on the top-panel of the soundbar or remote control. You can also choose to disable the microphones completely.
- An Amazon account is required to use Amazon Alexa and the soundbar must be connected to a WiFi network. Use the Sound Bar Controller app (for Apple iOS and Android) to enter your Amazon account information and log into the service.
- The YAS-109 does not support all Amazon Alexa functions. It does not support all Alexa-enabled music services, it does not support Alexa phone calls, and it does not support multiroom audio distribution.
Sound Bar Controller App: Yamaha's Sound Bar Controller app (for Apple iOS 9.0+ and Android OS 5.0+) allows you to wirelessly operate basic functions of the YAS-109 soundbar system from your compatible smartphone or tablet device. Basic control functions of the app include Power On/Off, Input Selection, Play/Pause, Previous/Next Track, Volume Up/Down, Mute, and Sound Settings. The app also allows you to play audio files stored on your mobile device or NAS drive through the Soundbar system over a wireless network connection. In addition, the Sound Bar Controller app is required for setup of Alexa voice control.
Note: Your compatible Apple iOS and Android device running the Sound Bar Controller must be connected to the same WiFi network as the Yamaha YAS-109 soundbar speaker system.
IR Remote + HDMI-CEC: The YAS-109 comes with a sleek, easy-to-use IR remote control for wireless operation of the soundbar speaker. Also, if your TV supports HDMI CEC and you use HDMI connectivity, it is possible to adjust the volume of the sound bar using your TV's remote to simplify day-to-day operation.
Note: This soundbar does not allow you to program your TV remote to operate the speaker, but does offer HDMI control through your compatible TV's remote.
Mounting Options: Due to its slim profile, the soundbar fits in front of most flat-panel TVs without blocking the screen. If you prefer to wall-mount the speaker, the YAS-109 offers built-in keyhole slots (spaced 18" apart). A built-in gyroscope optimizes sound depending on whether the soundbar is placed on a table-top or hung on wall.
- Table-Top Dimensions: 35.0625" (w) x 2.1875" (h) x 5.25" (d)
- Wall-Mount Dimensions: 35.0625" (w) x 5.25" (h) x 2.1875" (d)
Auto Power Standby: When the Auto Power Standby function is enabled, the unit will automatically turn off when there is no operation for 8 hours. When Bluetooth or HDMI is selected as the input, the unit will turn off after no audio input and no operation for 20 minutes.
Firmware Updates: Firmware updates can be done through the Sound Bar Controller app over a wireless network connection, or via a USB thumbdrive containing downloadable firmware updates from Yamaha's website. Check Yamaha's Support Download Site for the most recent firmware updates.
Q Crutchfield asked: Why did you buy this?
4 questions already asked