About the Denon AVR-S640H
Get more out of movies and music
Get more out of movies and music
Denon's AVR-S640H gives you high-quality surround sound and is fully compatible with the latest 4K TVs and Blu-ray players. This value-packed receiver brings out the best in your music too — and that's great because you'll have a lot of choices when it comes to playing tunes.
Listen your way
The 'S640H's built-in Wi-Fi and Bluetooth let you stream music from different sources. A phono input provides a convenient connection for a turntable. This powerful receiver even offers convenient playback of several different high-resolution audio formats through the front-panel USB port or a computer connected to your home network.
Streamline your music with HEOS
Built-in HEOS technology lets you access all your music — from your personal library, internet radio, and popular streaming services like Pandora®, Spotify®, and TIDAL — through the 'S640H.
This receiver can be easily integrated into a wireless multi-room audio system. Stream music to HEOS wireless speakers and components in different rooms, and control each room's sound independently with the free HEOS app. The app lets you control playback, browse music sources, and select which rooms you want to use. Play the same music throughout your home, or listen to something different in each room.
Just ask Alexa
The HEOS Home Entertainment skill for Amazon Alexa lets you use your Echo or Echo Dot to issue voice commands to the AVR-S640H. You can easily switch inputs and control volume and playback on the receiver and other HEOS enabled devices. Alexa can also help you search for music and stream different content to different rooms in your multi-room HEOS system.
Power and Processing:
- 5-channel amplifier
- 75 watts per channel into 8 ohms (20-20,000 Hz) at 0.08% THD, with 2 channels driven
- Dolby® and DTS® surround sound decoding
- Audyssey MultEQ XT speaker calibration and system optimization includes:
- setup and room calibration for balanced, dynamic sound (microphone included)
- Dynamic Volume anticipates loud sounds to keep volume levels even
- Dynamic EQ improves dialogue, bass response, and surround channel levels at lower volumes
Digital and Streaming Music Options:
- built-in Wi-Fi for listening to music from a networked PC, free internet radio, and music services
- built-in HEOS technology wirelessly connects compatible HEOS components for whole home audio
- includes support for Pandora®, SiriusXM, and Spotify® (subscription required for some services)
- free HEOS app offers easy Wi-Fi control, settings adjustments, and music selection and playback
- works with Amazon Alexa-compatible voice control assistants
- Apple AirPlay 2 lets you stream directly from an iPhone® or iPad® and ask Siri to play Apple Music
- supports multi-room audio with compatible wireless speakers
- built-in Bluetooth for wireless music listening with smartphones, tablets, and compatible computers
- Denon's Compressed Audio Restorer improves sound quality of MP3s and other digital music files
- plays high-resolution digital music files via USB storage device or a networked computer (PCM up to 24-bit/192kHz resolution; DSD up to 5.6 MHz)
- HDMI 2.0b audio/video switching: 5 in, 1 out
- HDCP 2.2 technology ensures compatibility with 4K Ultra HD sources and TVs
- HDR-compatible for extended picture contrast and brightness with compatible 4K TVs and HDR-encoded content
- supports HDR10, Dolby Vision™, and HLG
- composite video switching: 2 in, 1 out
- digital audio inputs: 2 optical and 1 coaxial
- 2 analog stereo audio inputs
- preamp outputs for two powered subwoofers
- MM (moving magnet) phono input for connecting a turntable
- front-panel USB port for audio playback from USB flash drives
- Ethernet port for network connection
- outputs for 5 speakers (Front L/R, Center, Surround L/R)
- full-sized headphone jack
- 4K/60p and 3D video pass-through
- HDMI standby pass-through allows HDMI switching without powering up receiver
- intuitive on-screen guide
- AM/FM tuner
- remote control
- 17-3/16"W x 5-5/16"H x 13-7/16"D
- weight: 17.2 lbs.
- warranty: 2 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # AVR-S640H
What's in the box:
- 5.2ch AV receiver
- Remote control (RC-1226)
- 2 "AAA" batteries
- Sound calibration microphone (ACM1HB)
- FM wire antenna
- AM loop antenna
- Cardboard microphone stand
- Quick Start Guide
- Warranty Information
- Safety Instructions
- Notes on radio
- Sheet of self-adhesive cable labels
- Spotify brochure
- Heos brochure
- Microphone Stand Assembly Instructions
More details on the Denon AVR-S640H
Features & specs
Discrete Amplification: The Denon AVR-S640H AV receiver features a powerful Class AB power amplifier section equipped with discrete high current power transistors. This discrete amplifier design delivers optimum realism and stunning dynamic range. By using high current, high power discrete power devices, the amplifier is able to easily drive high quality speakers. The AV receiver's five channel Class AB amplifier is rated at 75-watts (into 8Ω, at 20-20kHz, with 0.08% THD, driving 2 channels).
Audyssey: The AVR-S640H features the Audyssey suite of powerful DSP features - including MultEQ speaker/room calibration, Dynamic Volume, and Dynamic EQ.
- MultEQ: Via the supplied measuring microphone, Audyssey MultEQ measures all the speakers in your home theater during setup, including the subwoofer, and then generates multiple high precision DSP room acoustic correction filters, which together provide smoothest and most natural tonal balance, regardless of the brand or model of the various speakers. Up to six listening positions can be measured, configured, and recorded. MultEQ compensates for both time and frequency characteristics of the listening area based on "Audyssey Setup" measurement results. Selection is done from three types of compensation curves - Reference (default and recommended, L/R Bypass, Flat, and Off).
- Dynamic Volume: Audyssey Dynamic Volume features advanced psycho-acoustic processing to deliver clear dialog and wide range sound at reduced volume levels so that you can enjoy theater-level clarity at whatever listening level you choose.
- Dynamic EQ: Audyssey Dynamic EQ also features advanced DSP processing to deliver full range wide-band response, even at reduced volume levels. Dynamic EQ Reference Level Offset provides three offsets from the film level reference (5 dB, 10 dB, and 15 dB) that can be selected when the mix level of the content is not within the standard.
Compatible Digital Audio Formats: The AV receiver supports the following stereo & multichannel digital audio formats through its HDMI jacks and optical/coax digital inputs.
|Digital Audio Connector||Audio Signal Type||Audio Signal Format|
|HDMI (5 Inputs/1 Output)||High Definition Audio Bitstream||Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD, DTS-HD Master Audio, DTS-HD High Resolution, DTS Express|
|Bitstream||Dolby Digital, DTS, DTS 96/24|
|PCM||2ch to 8ch (32-192kHz, 16/20/24-bit)|
|Optical/Coaxial (2 Optical Inputs/1 Coaxial Input)||Bitstream||Dolby Digital, DTS, DTS 96/24|
|PCM||2ch to 6ch, (32-96kHz, 16/20/24-bit)|
Note: Even though the AV receiver will decode 7.1ch surround sound via HDMI, it will only output 5.1ch surround because it lacks Surround Back channel speaker outputs.
Post Decoding Formats: The Denon AV receiver supports Dolby Pro Logic II (Movie/Music/Game) and DTS Neo: 6 (Music/Cinema) to enhance 2-channel and multichannel decoding formats. The receiver offers the additional Dolby Pro Logic II and DTS NEO:6 audio adjustments.
- Dolby Pro Logic II Settings: You can adjust the following parameters in Pro Logic II Music modes: Panorama (sends stereo signals to the surround speakers as well as the front speakers for a wraparound effect), Dimension (adjusts the soundfield either towards the front or towards the rear of the room), and Center Width (moves the center channel output completely towards the center speaker or towards the front left and right speakers).
- Center Image (DTS NEO: 6 Music): This parameter adjusts the front left and right channel output relative to the center channel to make the center channel more or less dominant as necessary.
Listening Modes: The Denon AVR-S640H features a variety of Listening modes to choose from, so you can enjoy your movie or music soundtrack the want you to hear it.
- Auto Detection: In Auto Mode, the Listening Mode switches automatically to the corresponding type of audio input signal (Dolby Digital, Dolby TrueHD, Dolby Digital Plus, DTS, DTS-HD, or multichannel PCM) that is detected. If the input signal is analog or PCM (2-channel), stereo playback is used.
- Denon Original Sound: Denon's Original Listening Modes, combined with Dolby Digital/DTS processing, produce more realistic, powerful sound effects for your movie and music sound tracks based on the type of content and your home theater setup. Choose between Rock Arena, Jazz Club, Matrix, Video Game, Mono Movie, Multichannel Stereo, or Virtual (surround from only front speakers or headphones).
- Stereo Playback: Sound is output from the front left and right speakers, as well as the powered subwoofer. If multichannel signals are input, they are mixed down to 2-channel audio. The tone settings can be adjusted.
- Direct Mode: The Denon AVR-S640H offers a Direct Listening Mode which bypass the receiver's tone & DSP processing for higher sound quality performance. Direct Mode provides playback of 2ch or Multichannel audio in its original form, without any surround or tone processing.
Audio Enhancements: The Denon AVR-S640H receiver provides various audio enhancements to deliver a high-quality listening experience every time.
- CINEMA EQ (Cinema Equalizer): The Cinema EQ function gently decreases the level of the extreme high frequencies, compensating for overly-bright sounding motion picture soundtracks. Select this function if the sound from the front speakers is too bright. This function only works in the Dolby Digital & DTS modes.
- Compressed Audio Restorer: Compressed audio formats such as MP3, WMA (Windows Media Audio), and MPEG-4 AAC reduce the amount of data by eliminating signal components that are hard for the human ear to hear. The Restorer function generates the signals eliminated upon compression, restoring the sound to conditions near those of the original sound before compression. It also corrects the sense of volume of the bass to obtain richer sound with compressed audio signals.
- Dynamic Range Compression (DRC): Motion picture soundtracks have tremendous dynamic range (the contrast between very soft and very loud sounds). For listening late at night, or whenever the maximum sound level is lower than usual, Compressing the dynamic range allows you to hear all of the sounds in the soundtrack with reduced dynamic range. DRC works when playing program sources recorded in Dolby Digital or DTS.
- Room Size: The receiver's audio output can be set to simulate the acoustics of a Small, Medium Small, Medium (default), Medium Large, or Large room environment. This setting is not an indication of the actual size of your listening area.
Volume & Level Settings: The AVR-S640H offers the following volume & level settings.
- Volume Settings: You can choose to display an Absolute volume scale (0-98) or Relative volume scale (-79.5 to 18dB). You can also set a maximum volume level of 0 (80), -10 (70), or -20 (60) dB to limit the receiver's total volume output. In addition, you can define the volume setting that is active when the power is turned on; select "Mute", -79 to +18dB (1-98), or Last.
- Mute Level: You can set the amount of attenuation for the audio muting circuit; -40dB or -20dB below current volume, or full mute (sound turned off entirely).
- Channel, Center, & Subwoofer Level: The volume level (-12 to +12dB) of each channel can be changed while listening to audio for each input source. You can also adjust the center channel volume level (-12 to +12dB) independently from the channel level to clarify the dialog for all sources. In addition, you can adjust the subwoofer channel volume level (-12 to +12dB) independently from the channel level to emphasize low frequencies for all input sources.
- Source Level: This function adjusts the playback level of the currently selected input source's audio input. Use this feature if there are differences in the input volume levels between different sources. You can correct the playback level of the audio input from -12 to +12dB.
Audio Outputs: The Denon AVR-S640H AV receiver features spring-clip speaker terminals, dual sub outputs, and a front-panel headphone jack.
- Color-Coded Speaker Terminals: The receiver has binding-post terminals for all speaker connections. The binding-post terminals can accept bare wire, pin connectors, and banana plugs (single/dual). The receiver will accept speaker impedances of 4 to 16-ohm. The AV receiver comes with color-coded labels to easily identify which channel a speaker cable should be connected to. Since the speaker cables have labels in the same colors as the connectors on the AVR-S640H's rear panel, there's no longer any confusion about which terminals they should be connected to.
- Dual Sub Outputs: For compatibility with dual subwoofer home theater systems, the AVR-S640H features two non-discrete subwoofer outputs. With dual subwoofers, which can be placed in different parts of the room, you'll benefit from response averaging, which helps provide smoother and more detailed deep bass, compared to a conventional single subwoofer speaker system. The same signal is output from each sub output.
- Headphone Jack: When headphones are plugged into the full-size 1/4" jack on the front panel, all the speakers are automatically muted.
Phono Input: The Denon AVR-S640H is outfitted with a Phono input (MM), so you can connect your turntable and listen to your vinyl records with high-quality sound.
HDMI 2.0b: Featuring five HDMI inputs and one HDMI output, the AVR-S640H incorporates an advanced video section that features the latest HDMI 2.0b specification, including support for 4K/60 Hz Ultra-HD video, BT.2020 Wide Color Gamut, High Dynamic Range (HDR), & 4:4:4 Pure Color sub-sampling, along with support for 3D content. The AVR-S640H also features HDCP 2.2 compatibility, a requirement for 4K Ultra HD copy-protected content.
- 4K/60Hz + HDCP 2.2: The AVR-S640H's HDMI inputs and monitor output support up to 4K (3840x2160 pixels) video @ 60 frames per second. All of the HDMI jacks support HDCP 2.2, which fully complies with the latest copyright protection standard for 4K video transmission. The receiver will also pass a 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i, or 1080p video signals via HDMI.
- 4:4:4 Color Subsampling: The HDMI inputs and monitor output support RGB, YCbCr 4:4:4, YCbCr 4:2:2, and YCbCr 4:2:0 color subsampling (@ 60Hz or 50Hz). With 4:4:4 color subsampling, luminance (brightness) and chroma (color) are sampled at the same rate; resulting in an RGB color palette as big as the video sampling rate for a video image with more colors, plus greater color accuracy and detail.
- Wide Color Gamut (BT.2020): The BT.2020 color standard delivers a much wider color gamut and represents about 75% of the total visual color spectrum, while the current Rec. 709 color standard selected as the color space for HDTVs and early generation 4K Ultra HDTVs covers only 35% of the total visual color spectrum.
Note: Use a premium high-speed 18Gbps HDMI cable for the best 4K/HDR performance.
HDR (High Dynamic Range): The Denon AVR-S640H supports HDR (high dynamic range) Video - including HDR 10, Dolby Vision, and Hybrid Log-Gamma. HDR provides enhanced picture quality by simultaneously enabling greater detail for both the dark and bright parts of an image. HDR reproduces a greater dynamic range of luminosity or brightness levels, creating greater contrast. This increased contrast reveals the subtle nuances of the image, from detailed blacks and shadows to the brightest whites and colors, plus greater depth.
- HDR 10: HDR 10 is an open standard and currently the most popular HDR format on the market. It uses static metadata at the start of a movie to tell the receiver and your TV that the video content is encoded using HDR.
- Hybrid-Log Gamma: HLG (Hybrid-Log Gamma) is primarily designed for live video feed and over-the-air broadcasts. It uses no pre-encoded metadata and is backwards compatible with SDR. HLG's native compatibility allows much of today's existing SDR infrastructure to be re-used for HDR in the future.
- Dolby Vision: Unlike HDR 10 which contains static metadata and HLG which uses no metadata, Dolby Vision uses dynamic metadata technology which sets individual color and brightness levels for each and every scene. Dolby works directly with filmmakers at major Hollywood studios to create superior HDR video masters of blockbuster movies.
Other HDMI Features: The Denon AVR-S640H AV receiver's HDMI connectivity also offers 3D video pass-through, ARC (Audio Return Channel), Deep Color & x.v.Color support, as well as an auto LipSync function.
- ARC (Audio Return Channel): This feature of the AVR-S640H's HDMI monitor output allows audio to be sent from your compatible HDTV to the receiver through the same HDMI cable already being used to send audio and video to your HDTV. This eliminates the need for extra cables connected to your television.
- 3D Ready: The AVR-S640H AV receiver supports 3D video pass-through (720p/1080p only) from connected 3D-compatible Blu-ray, games and broadcast devices to 3D-compatible HDTVs (all 3D components must be connected via HDMI). Special eyewear will be required for viewing 3D content.
- Deep Color & x.v.Color Support: The AV receiver supports Deep Color and x.v.Color content, which can display a larger color range than standard-definition schemes. The result is a more lifelike, vibrant picture
- LipSync: This function adjusts the delay between audio and video output. You can do this manually or have the receiver set the LipSync function automatically. When connected to a TV via HDMI the receiver automatically adjusts audio output timing, if the TV supports an automatic LipSync function. You can also manually delay the sound output up to 500ms to synchronize it with the video image.
HDMI Standby Pass-Through: When the AV receiver is in "Standby" mode and the HDMI Standby Pass-Through function is enabled, both audio/video streams from the receivers HDMI input will be output to your television, via the AV receiver's HDMI monitor output. Once the receiver is turned "On", only video will pass through the monitor output to your TV and the audio is directed to the receiver's speaker outputs.
- HDMI Input: Selects the HDMI Input for which the HDMI Standby Pass-Through function is enabled.
- Last: The HDMI Standby-Through function is activated on the input source selected at the time of setting the AV receiver to the "Standby" mode.
- Off: The HDMI Standby Pass-Through function is disabled.
Composite Video Inputs/Output: The receiver features two composite video inputs and one composite video monitor output. You must connect the receiver to your TV via composite video to view incoming video from the receiver's composite inputs (there is no HDMI upconversion).
Video Select Function: This receiver can display video from a different source on your connected TV during audio playback from Tuner, HEOS, or Phono.
Wired or Wireless Network Connection: The Denon AVR-S640H offers a wired or wireless network connection. Either network connection gives the receiver access to HEOS music apps (like Pandora, Amazon,and Tidal), TuneIn Internet Radio, Spotify Connect, your music library on your Apple iOS or Android device, as well as music content on your Windows PC or DLNA music server.
- Ethernet Jack: The Denon AVR-S640H receiver is fitted with a RJ-45 Ethernet (LAN) port to make a wired connection from the receiver to your home network.
- Built-in WiFi: The receiver also offers built-in WiFi (IEEE 802.11 a/b/g/n; 2.4/5GHz) for a wireless network connection; WPS, WEP, WPA-PSK (TKIP), WPA-PSK (AES), WPA2-PSK (AES) security protection is supported. Wireless network setup can be done via WPS button, Access Point Scan, Manual Setting, PIN Code, or even through your Apple iOS device (7.0+).
Note: Network setup requires that the receiver be connected to your TV via HDMI for display of the on-screen menu. The receiver's network setup cannot be accessed through its front-panel display.
TuneIn Internet Radio: The Denon AVR-S640H includes access to more than 100,000 free internet radio streams from all corners of the globe via the built-in TuneIn online music service. Simply select TuneIn from the receiver's on-screen menu using the included remote and browse among the 100,000 stations neatly organized into popular categories and select a station that appeals to you.
Spotify Connect: If you subscribe to Spotify Premium and have the Spotify App on your Apple iOS or Android mobile device, you can stream Spotify to the Denon AV receiver. Spotify is a digital music service that gives you on-demand access to one of the largest music libraries in the world (over 15 million tracks and counting). Spotify makes it easier than ever to discover, manage, and share music with your friends. You can browse music by artist, album, track, or most popular; and create your own music library with customized playlists.
HEOS Music Apps: With built-in HEOS technology and the HEOS app (for Apple iOS 8.0+ and Android OS 4.0) on your compatible Apple iOS or Android mobile device, you'll be able to stream a wide variety of online music services (fees may apply), plus the music library of your mobile device through the Denon AV receiver.
- Online Music Services: Using the HEOS app, you'll be able to stream your favorite online music services like Amazon Music, Pandora, TIDAL, iHeart Radio, SiriusXM, Napster, TuneIn, & Spotify (some services will require a paid subscription, purchases, and/or other fees). The HEOS app on your Apple iOS or Android device will serve as the controller for these apps and provide song/artist information with Album Art. You can create a "Favorite" station list, so you can quickly access your favorite internet radio stations and online music channels.
- Mobile Device Streaming: Using the HEOS app on your Apple iOS or Android mobile device, you are able to stream your device's music library to the Denon AV receiver. You'll be able to browse your music library by Artist, Album, Genre, and Song; control music playback functions like Play/Pause and Previous/Next Track; and view song/artist info with Album Art from the app on your compatible mobile device. You can even type in an artist name or song title to find music in your mobile device's library.
- Prior to using the HEOS system, you'll need to setup up your free HEOS account. Your HEOS account remembers all your settings and preferences such as all your music service logins and HEOS playlists. When you'd like to add multiple smartphone or tablet controllers to your system, you only need to sign in to each new device with your HEOS user name and password. Instantly all your music services and HEOS playlists are available in the new controller too.
- If you prefer, HEOS supports multiple accounts in a single household. This way, each family member can enjoy their own personalized Pandora, Spotify, or other online music account settings and still share all the same speakers in the home.
DLNA 1.5 Certified: The AVR-S640H is DLNA (Digital Living Network Alliance) 1.5 and Windows 7/8/10 compliant for audio networking. This means it's easier for you to access and enjoy digital music stored on your Windows PC. The receiver can wirelessly playback High-Res music content from your PC, while using the included remote control to browse your music library. The receiver supports ID3-Tag (ver.2) and META tag information; so song title, artist name, and album name can be displayed on the unit's front-panel or on-screen menu. In addition the unit will display Album Art on a connected television. The Denon AVR-S640H supports the following audio formats, sampling frequencies, and bit rates via its wired network connection.
|Resolution||Compatible Audio Formats||Sampling Frequencies||Bit-Rate/Bit-Depth||Extension|
|Hi-Res||WAV (PCM)||32/44.1/48/88.2/96/176.4/192 kHz||16/24-bit||.wav|
|FLAC (Free Lossless Audio Codec)||16/24-bit||.flac|
|ALAC (Apple Lossless Audio Codec)||16/24-bit||.m4A|
|Compressed||MP3 (MPEG-1 Audio Layer-3)||32/44.1/48 kHz||32-320 kbps||.mp3|
|WMA (Windows Media Audio)||48-192 kbps||.wma|
|AAC (MPEG-4)||16-320 kbps||.aac/.m4a|
Note: Your computer must meet the following system requirements - Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service or Windows Media DRM10. Album Art is only displayed when using Windows Media Player (ver.11/12).
AM/FM Tuner: The Denon AV receiver features a built-in AM/FM tuner with 56 station auto-preset memory tuning. You can also set your presets manually. You can create an 8-character name for each preset station. You can even directly enter a station number using the receiver's on-screen menu and remote control.
Front-Panel USB Port: The Denon receiver is equipped with a front-panel USB (type-A) port that allows you to enjoy a variety of music files from a USB mass storage class memory device; such as a USB thumbdrive or portable HDD (a portable hard disk drive will require an external power supply). Compatible USB storage devices must be formatted in FAT 16 or FAT32 (a FAT16 device can have up to 2GB of storage, while a FAT32 device can have up to 2TB of storage). The unit can recognize up to 500 folders/500 files. You can use the receiver's on-screen menu (via HDMI) and remote control to navigate your stored music files on your connected USB memory device. Song/artist information will display on your HDMI-connected TV and the receivers front-panel display. USB devices that can be charged via USB will be charged when plugged into the AV receiver's USB port (5V/1A); even in standby mode.
|Resolution||Compatible Audio Formats||Sampling Frequencies||Bit rate||Extension|
|Hi-Res||WAV (PCM)||32/44.1/48/88.2/96/176.4/192 kHz||16/24-bit||.wav|
|FLAC (Free Lossless Audio Codec)||16/24-bit||.flac|
|ALAC (Apple Lossless Audio Codec)||16/24-bit||.m4A|
|Compressed||MP3 (MPEG-1 Audio Layer-3)||32/44.1/48 kHz||32-320 kbps||.mp3|
|WMA (Windows Media Audio)||48-192 kbps||.wma|
|AAC (MPEG-4)||16-320 kbps||.aac/.m4a|
Note: The receiver's USB port is not compatible with Apple iPod/iPhone/iPad, Android OS devices, USB hubs, and computers.
Built-in Bluetooth: The Denon AVR-S640H features built-in Bluetooth (version 3.0+EDR) with a 98.4' wireless range for music streaming (A2DP 1.2) and control (AVRCP 1.5). You'll be able to wirelessly connect to smartphones (including iPhone & Android), tablets (including iPad & Android), laptops (including Microsoft Surface & Macbook), computers (including Windows PC & Mac), and other Bluetooth-enabled devices. Up to eight Bluetooth devices can be remembered by the AVR-S640H, so family members as well as friends can enjoy their favorite tracks (only one device can be used at a time).
- Wireless Music Streaming: You'll be able to wirelessly stream stored music, music apps, and other audio content from your Bluetooth-enabled source device to the Denon receiver. The receiver supports the Bluetooth SBC codec only.
- Wireless Music Control: You will also be able to control basic playback functions (Play/Pause, FF/RW, Skip) using the receiver's remote control. Advanced music operation will still need to be handled from your Bluetooth-enable device. There is no song/artist information display on the receiver or connected TV. Continue to use your Bluetooth device's screen to view song/artist info.
Auto On & Select: The receiver can be setup to automatically re-connect with previously paired devices, as well as turn on automatically when you start streaming audio from a Bluetooth source device.
- Bluetooth hands-free communication for making and answering phone calls is not supported.
- Due to the differences in Bluetooth technology, some Bluetooth enabled devices may be incompatible, function improperly, or may not support all features when used with the Denon AV receiver.
AirPlay 2 (via available firmware update): Through an available firmware update, the Denon AV receiver will support AirPlay 2. AirPlay 2 is an advanced and easy-to-use wireless multiroom audio platform for iTunes, Apple Music, and other compatible Apple iOS apps. With AirPlay 2 you can play any sound from your Apple iOS device (running iOS 11.4 or later) or Mac computer (running OS X 10.13.2) on the Denon receiver and other compatible AirPlay 2 speakers throughout your home. You will also be able to ask Siri-enabled devices (like your Apple iPhone, iPad, or Watch) to control playback of your Apple Music on the Denon receiver. With AirPlay 2, also get to see song/artist information and album art via the receiver's on-screen menu (via HDMI). You can choose to play audio in one room, play the same audio in grouped rooms, or play the same audio in every room (you can control and group directly from Apple's Music App and Home app on your Apple iOS device). You can even watch videos and movies from YouTube and Netflix on your compatible Apple iOS device or Mac computer with perfectly synced audio on the Denon receiver.HEOS by Denon wireless multi-room audio eco-system, allowing you to stream and control all of your local and online music effortlessly from anywhere in your home with the HEOS App on your compatible Apple iOS or Android mobile device over a wireless WiFi network connection. The HEOS system is a true multi-room audio system that automatically synchronizes audio playback between multiple HEOS devices so that your music (up to 24-bit/192kHz Hi-Res audio) coming from different rooms is perfectly in sync and always sounds amazing. You can play the same audio source (other than your connected TV) in every room or any combination of rooms you choose, including a different song in every room.
Number of Systems & Groups: The HEOS wireless multi-room sound system by Denon can support up to 32 HEOS speakers, receivers, amplifiers, and/or pre-amplifiers (all sold separately) on a single wireless network (IEEE 802.11 g/n; 2.4/5GHz). You can join or group up to eight individual Heos devices into a group that function as if they were a single source. The HEOS eco-system is flexible enough where you can create up to 16 Groups (2 Heos devices per Group). You can easily group 16 rooms together with Party Mode by simply using a "pinch" gesture.
Compatible Sources: The following sources can be distributed through the HEOS multi-room audio system -
- Receiver's analog inputs (HDMI & Optical/Coax digital not supported)
- Built-in AM/FM tuner, TuneIn Internet Radio, & Spotify Connect
- HEOS music apps (including Amazon, Pandora,Tidal, and more)
- Windows PC & DLNA music servers
- Bluetooth & USB audio
- Music libraries stored on your Apple iOS or Android mobile device.
Note: HEOS wireless multiroom audio does not support AirPlay.
AVR Remote App: The new Denon AVR Remote App (for Apple iOS 7.0+ and Android OS 4.0+) lets you control the Denon AV receiver using your compatible Apple iOS or Android OS mobile device. From this free app on your compatible Apple iOS or Android device, you'll be able to control the Denon AV receiver's basic functions; such as power, volume, input, surround modes, and other settings. You'll also be able to navigate the AV receiver's network and Internet content from the app. In addition, you get you get unique features likes a landscape orientation control screen for tablet devices, the ability to create playlists, and control over a Denon Blu-ray player.
- Landscape Orientation Control Screen: With a landscape orientation control screen for tablet devices, you can easily browse and navigate through your network music services or personal digital music collection with ease, and at the same time view now-playing information and cover art all on a single screen.
- Create Playlists: The app's playback screen allows you to easily build your own personal music playlists on the fly with the ability to Drag & Drop files into your queue, or tap to "Play Now", "Play Next", "Play Next and Replace Queue" or "Add to End of Queue". You can then save your queue as a playlist for easy recall.
- Denon Blu-ray Player Control: The app allows control over Denon Blu-ray (DBT-xx13 series) that are connected to the AV receiver via HDMI.
Note: This AV receiver is not compatible with last year's older Denon Remote App.
HEOS App: You'll need to download the HEOS App (for Apple iOS 8.0+ and Android OS 4.0) onto your compatible Apple iOS or Android mobile device to enjoy HEOS functionality through the AVR-S640H receiver. Using your compatible mobile device and the HEOS app, you can setup, browse, explore, and control HEOS system right in the palm of your hand, from anywhere in your home. Your compatible Apple iOS or Android device must be connected to the same home wireless (WiFi) network as the AV receiver and your entire HEOS system. The HEOS app consists of 4 control screens.
- Settings: The "Settings" screen enables you to connect one or more HEOS speakers, receivers, amplifiers, and/or pre-amplifiers to your home's wireless network.
- Rooms: From the app on your Apple iOS or Android device, you can select which rooms you want playing. You can play the same music in multiple rooms by grouping rooms together, or you can listen to a different source in each room.
- Music/Sources: You can select what music and which source you want to listen to from the app. Choose from online music services like Pandora, Spotify, TuneIn, Tidal, etc.; your music library on your Apple iOS or Android device, Windows PC/DLNA server, or USB thumbdrive; and analog inputs; as well as Bluetooth on the HEOS AVR. You can also select music from Playlists you've created, Favorites you've saved, and your recent listening History.
- Now Playing: The "Now Playing" screen displays song, artist, and album information; along with Album Art. You also get basic playback controls like Play/Pause and Previous/Next Track, plus Volume controls Up/Down and Mute. In addition the "Now Play" screen functions unique to the selected online music service or music library.
Alexa Compatible: HEOS and Amazon Alexa customers can now enjoy the convenience of Alexa voice control plus high-quality wireless home audio. In addition to controlling your HEOS components with the HEOS app on your mobile device or tablet, you can now control them with Amazon Alexa voice technology and an Amazon Alexa device (such as the Echo or Echo Dot, sold separately). Your HEOS components and the Alex-enabled devices must be on the same network. Voice control features include -
- Alex voice commands include Volume (up/down, specific volume number, & mute); Playback (Play, Pause, Stop, Next, Previous, Resume); and Power on/off. The HEOS Bar and HEOS AVR even support HDMI switching (1-4) through Alexa voice command.
- You can group your HEOS-enabled devices using the HEOS app with an Alexa-friendly name. Once they are grouped, Alexa voice commands will control the group as a whole. If you want to play audio content from only one HEOS-enabled device in the group, you must ungroup the device within the HEOS app.
- You are able use voice commands to search for songs, albums and artists and even podcasts and internet stations from HEOS & Alexa compatible music apps - like Amazon Music, Pandora, TuneIn, iHeartRadio, Spotify Connect, & SiriusXM.
Google Assistant Support (via firmware update): Ask your Google Home, the Google app (for Apple iOS 10.0+ and Android OS 4.4+), or other devices with Google Assistant built-in to control HEOS content across your listening environment. Once you start music in the HEOS app, you can ask the Google Assistant to control volume, play, pause, skip tracks, and more. Once you have grouped your HEOS-enabled devices using the HEOS app, you can use the Google Assistant and voice commands to control a group of HEOS devices as a whole. Make sure the unit has the latest HEOS software and firmware update installed.
- A firmware update (scheduled for 2019) will allow you to use the Google Assistant and your voice to queue up music services, power on/off devices, switch inputs and more.
- Click here for more info on Google Assistant for HEOS.
IR Remote: The Denon AVR-S640H comes with an IR remote for wireless operation of the AV receiver. It also supports HDMI-CEC and Smart TV Control.
- HDMI CEC: HDMI CEC allows you to link operation of the receiver with other audio/video components (like your TV, Blu-ray player, or satellite/cable box) that are connected via HDMI. Linked functions include Power On/Off, which turns the receiver On or Off when you power on or off an HDMI CEC connected component; and Source Switching, which automatically switches the receiver to the input of the HDMI CEC component that has begun playback. The HDMI CEC function can be disabled, if your prefer. Not all HDMI CEC compatible devices will function in the same way.
- Smart TV Control: You can even control the Denon AVR-S640H with your Smart TV remote via an HDMI connection and the HDMI CEC functionality associated with your Smart TV. Simply set "HDMI Control" to ON in the receiver, then set "Smart Menu" to ON and begin controlling the AVR-S640H with your TV's remote. The Smart Menu home screen provides you quick access to source and surround mode selections, the AVR's setup menu and four Smart Selects (or "Quick Selects").
Web Control: You can also control the Denon AV receiver from a web control screen on a web browser through your computer, tablet, or smartphone.
OSD w/ Setup Assistant (via HDMI): Once you connect your TV to the AVR-S640H via HDMI, the exclusive Denon Setup Assistant appears on your TV screen to walk you through setup, step-by-step. With Denon's on-screen menu and setup assistant, you can connect, configure, and use your home theater system with ease. The OSD and setup assistant features clear on-screen graphics and text that optimizes critical system settings for your particular home theater setup.
- The on-screen menu and setup assistant is required for initial setup and is only available through the receiver's HDMI output.
- The video being played will not appear in the background of the menu when the menu is operated during playback of 4K, HDR, or 3D video; or if the video aspect ratio is not 16:9 or 4:3.
Quick Select: On the AVR-S640H's front-panel and remote, you'll find four Quick Select buttons that let you quickly choose from the most popular input sources. With Quick Select, the AVR-S640H remembers not only your preferred inputs but also your preferred audio settings, so you can enjoy precisely tailored sound with each one.
Input Name & Delete: You can change the display name (up to 12 characters) of a selected input source. If an input isn't being used, you can delete it from the display so you don't have to scroll past it when you change sources.
Lock Functions: To prevent accidental operation of the AV receiver, you can disable operation of the buttons on the front-panel. You can also disable the receiver's IR sensor to prevent accidental operation of the receiver from the remote control.
Timers: The Denon AV receiver features a programmable Sleep Timer and Auto Standby function.
- Sleep Timer: This function allows you to automatically set the power to standby after a predetermined amount of time has passed; set the sleep timer up to 120 minutes in 10 minute increments.
- Auto Standby: The unit enters standby mode automatically when no commands are sent to the unit for the set time (15/30/60 minutes). Before it enters the standby mode, "Auto Standby" is displayed on the front-panel display of this unit and the on-screen menu.
ECO Mode: This receiver is equipped with an ECO Mode function that allows you to enjoy music and movies while reducing the power consumption during use, Eco mode adjusts the maximum power available according to the volume level selected to reduce power consumption.
Personal Memory Plus: For each input, the receiver automatically memorizes the settings for input mode, surround mode, HDMI output mode, audio delay, etc. When the input source is switched, the settings last used for that source are automatically recalled. The surround parameters, tone control settings, and playback levels for the different output channels are memorized for each surround mode.
Protection Circuit: This is a function to prevent damage to components within the power supply when an abnormality such as an overload, excess voltage, or over-heating occurs. In this unit, the power indicator blinks and the unit enters standby mode when an abnormality occurs.
Software Updates: Using the receiver's network/internet connection, you can check for and update the latest firmware from the online Denon server. You can also set the receiver to automatically download the latest firmware and software updates when it is in standby mode. Visit Denon's Support Site for to check out the newest firmware and software updates.
Q Crutchfield asked: Why did you buy this?
3 questions already asked