About the Denon Home Sound Bar 550
Sweet sound from a compact bar
This sound bar is easy to set up and delivers some serious "oomph" for its size.
Sweet sound from a compact bar
The Denon Home Sound Bar 550 has a compact design that makes it easy to fit into your entertainment space, but it doesn't skimp on sound in the process. It's surprisingly powerful and detailed with a spacious soundstage that helps make movie night come alive.
3D audio out of the box
This 4-channel sound bar is compatible with Dolby Atmos and DTS:X soundtracks, and it can virtually simulate surround sound. Especially if space is a concern, a compact sound bar with 3D audio is a great alternative to a traditional home theater system. The 550 gives you the benefit of height and rear sound effects for added immersion without running wire all around your room.
Expand your system with Denon Home
If you have other Denon Home speakers on-hand, you can seamlessly link to them to the sound bar for an even deeper, wider soundscape. This effectively turns the paired Denon Home speakers into dedicated rear surrounds. And to give movie night a hefty dose of extra bass, you can also link up the Denon DSW-1H subwoofer, wirelessly.
Connected with HEOS
The Denon Home Sound Bar 550 has HEOS Built-in, allowing it to tie into a wireless multi-room audio ecosystem. If you have other HEOS-compatible speakers and components, you can connect them together via Wi-Fi and control music all around your house with an app on your phone. Play the same song everywhere at once, or different music in each room. The kids can listen to "My Stick!" in the living room while you jam to "Achilles Last Stand" in the kitchen cooking dinner at the same time.
HEOS supports a ton of streaming services, all available through the app. It can even access songs you've collected on computers or networked hard drives. If that includes a stash of sweet high-res music files, you're in luck. HEOS supports playback of files up to 24-bit/192kHz (5.6 MHz for DSD files).
More music options
You can stream audio from your phone straight to the sound bar via Bluetooth. Apple fans are in good hands with AirPlay 2 supported, which lets you stream from an iPhone® or iPad® and connect the sound bar to the AirPlay ecosystem. If you've got a thumb drive with music stashed on it, including high-res files, you can plug it into the USB input on the back of the bar.
Simple setup and control
You'll only need the one cable to connect up to your TV, with your choice of HDMI or optical (both come in the box). Pop that in and plug into your AC and you're ready to rock. You can control the sound bar with a phone app or with the included remote. The bar also has the IR codes of most major TV manufacturers built-in, so you can control the bar with your TV's remote instead.
If your remotes and phone surreptitiously find themselves lost in the cushions of your couch, never fear — there are controls on top of the sound bar itself too. They even light up when your hand gets close, to make them easy to see in a dark room.
- powered 4-channel sound bar delivers impactful sound with a wide soundstage
- supports Dolby Atmos and DTS:X for virtual surround sound and compelling 3D audio
- built-in Bluetooth lets you stream music directly from your phone
- support for Apple AirPlay 2 lets you stream from an iOS® device
- syncs seamlessly with other Denon Home products
- Roku TV ready with simple setup process, integrated sound settings, and control with your Roku remote
- Alexa compatibility to be added with a future firmware update for voice control
- built-in HEOS provides multi-room wireless audio compatibility with other HEOS components
- play the same (or different) music in multiple zones throughout your home
- easy setup using the HEOS mobile app
- supports music streaming from Spotify®, Amazon Music HD, Pandora®, SiriusXM, Napster, SoundCloud, TIDAL, Deezer, iHeartRadio, and TuneIn (subscription required for some services)
- supports playback of networked high-res PCM-based files up to 24-bit/192kHz and DSD files up to 5.6 MHz (via network or USB)
- compact design saves space while still delivering detailed, room-filling sound
- six built-in drivers:
- four 2-1/8" full-range drivers
- two 3/4" soft-dome tweeters
- three 2" x 3-1/2" passive radiators
- wall-mountable with rear keyhole slots
- easy-to-use control panel on the top of the sound bar lights up when your hand gets close
- 26"W x 3"H x 4-3/4"D
- weight: 7.3 lbs.
Connections, accessories, and general info:
- 1 HDMI input, 1 HDMI output (cable included)
- supports Enhanced Audio Return Channel (eARC)
- supports 4K pass-through
- optical digital audio input (cable included)
- 3.5mm minijack input
- USB input for high-Res music playback from a thumb drive
- Ethernet port for a wired internet connection
- includes remote control
- recognizes the IR codes used by several major TV manufacturers (e.g. Sony, LG, Samsung), allowing you to control the sound bar with your TV remote
- warranty: 2 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # DENONHOMESB550
What's in the box:
- Active soundbar speaker
- 6' AC power cord
- Remote control (CR2025 battery installed)
- 58" HDMI cable
- 59" Optical digital cable
- 2 Wall-mount adapters
- Quick Start Guide
- Wall Mount Template
- Safety Instructions
- Warranty Information
More details on the Denon Home Sound Bar 550
Features & specs
|Number Of Channels||4.0|
|Optical Digital Inputs||1|
|Coaxial Digital Inputs||None|
|HDMI ARC Input||Yes|
|HDMI eARC Input||Yes|
|3.5mm Stereo Analog Inputs||1|
|RCA Stereo Analog Inputs||None|
|USB Type-A Input||Yes|
|Tweeter||0.75" Dome (2)|
|Midrange||2.1875" Cone (4)|
|Woofer||2"x3.5" Passive Radiators|
|System Frequency Response||Not Given|
|Sound Bar RMS Power||Not given|
|Subwoofer RMS Power||Not given|
|HDMI Video Pass-through Resolution||4K|
|HDR Video Compatible||Yes|
|Voice Control||Alexa & Google Assistant optional|
|Control by App||Apple iOS, Android|
|Remote IR Passthrough||No|
|Learns TV Remote||Pre-programmed|
|Bluetooth Connectivity||Built-in 4.1|
|Apple AirPlay||AirPlay 2|
|Files on Your Network||Yes|
|Built-in Wi-Fi Version||802.11 a/b/g/n/ac|
|Bands||2.4, 5.0 GHz|
|Mounting Bracket Included||No|
|Sound Bar Size (inches)||2-15/16H x 25-5/8W x 4-11/16D|
|Sound Bar Weight||7.3 lbs|
|Subwoofer Size (inches)||No Subwoofer|
|Speaker Parts Warranty||2 Years|
|Speaker Labor Warranty||2 Years|
|Amplifier Parts Warranty||2 Years|
|Amplifier Labor Warranty||2 Years|
4.0Ch Active Soundbar: The Denon Home Soundbar 550's unique 4.0, six-driver arrangement creates an immversive, virtual 3D surround sound without taking up too much space under your TV. A combination of two premium 0.75" soft-dome tweeters, four 2.1875" full-range drivers, and two 2" x 3.5" passive radiators create balanced, powerful, detailed sound. By itself, the Denon Home Soundbar 500 creates a 4.0ch home theater from a single speaker; or it can be paired with Denon Home wireless speakers and sub (all sold separately) to create a more enveloping surround sound experience.
- Optional Wireless Rear Speakers: Optional Denon Home 150, 250, or 350 speakers (sold separately) can be paired as dedicated rear speakers to the soundbar, creating realistic surround sound all around you.
- Optional Wireless Powered Subwoofer: If you're looking for even more bass from the Denon Home Soundbar 550, you can connect Denon's DSW-1H wireless powered subwoofer (sold separately).
3D Immersive Surround: The Denon Home Soundbar 550 offers support of Dolby Atmos & DTS:X through its HDMI input and HDMI eARC output; as well a support of Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD, and DTS-HD Master Audio. The soundbar optical digital input only supports Dolby Digital and DTS.
- Dolby Atmos: Dolby Atmos surround sound technology dispenses with channel-based coding in favor of more advanced object-based coding, giving the soundtrack designer the ability to precisely place sounds anywhere in the 3-dimensional space for horizontal and vertical surround effects.
- DTS:X: The latest immersive surround sound system, DTS:X features object-based audio coding that lets the soundtrack designer place sonic elements anywhere in the 3D acoustic soundspace, and provides for overhead effects to deliver a stunning surround sound experience.
Note: The Denon Soundbar 550 is limited to 4.0 channels and will downmix Dolby Atmos, DTS:X, and other surround sound formats to 4.0ch for playback.
Dialog Enhancement & Night Mode: Dialog Enhancement boost dialog in movies and vocals in music, so they can be better heard over the movie effects and musical instruments. Night Mode lets you enjoy high fidelity sound without annoying jumps in volume, so you can watch your favorite programs late into the night without disturbing other family members.
HDMI 2.0b: Equipped with one HDMI input and one HDMI eARC output, the Denon Home Soundbar 550 incorporates an advanced video section that features the HDMI 2.0b specification; including support for 4K/60 Hz Ultra-HD video with HDCP 2.2 compatibility (a requirement for 4K Ultra HD copy-protected content), HDR (High Dynamic Range), and ARC (Audio Return Channel).
- 4K/60Hz + HDCP 2.2: The Denon Home Soundbar 550 supports up to 4K (3840x2160 pixels) video @ 60 frames per second on all of its HDMI inputs and output. It will also pass a 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i, or 1080p video signals via HDMI. There is no video resolution upscaling. All of the soundbar's HDMI jacks support HDCP 2.2, which fully complies with the latest copyright protection standard for 4K video transmission.
- HDR (High Dynamic Range): The Soundbar 550 supports High Dynamic Range video - including HDR10 and Dolby Vision. High Dynamic Range video provides enhanced picture quality by simultaneously enabling greater detail for both the dark and bright parts of an image. HDR reproduces a greater dynamic range of luminosity or brightness levels, creating greater contrast. This increased contrast reveals the subtle nuances of the image, from detailed blacks and shadows to the brightest whites and colors, plus greater depth.
- eARC (Enhanced Audio Return Channel): This feature of the soundbar's HDMI output allows audio to be sent from your compatible TV to the speaker through the same HDMI cable already being used to send audio and video to your TV. This eliminates the need for extra cables connected to your television. eARC (Enhanced Audio Return Channel) will support uncomprerssed audio formats like Dolby TrueHD, Dolby Atmos, DTS:X, & DTS HD Master Audio - where as the previous ARC (Audio Return Channel) was limited to only Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital Plus, DTS, DTS HD, and PCM.
Note: Use a premium high-speed 18Gbps HDMI cable for the best 4K, HDR, and eARC performance.
Digital & Analog Inputs: In addition to HDMI connectivity, the Denon Home Soundbar 550 is outfitted with an optical (toslink) digital input and an analog stereo minijack (3.5mm) audio input.
- Optical Toslink: For TVs without ARC via HDMI, you can connect the Denon Home Soundbar 550 via its optical (toslink) digital audio input. The digital input supports 2ch PCM and 5.1ch Dolby Digital/DTS.
- 3.5mm Minijack: Additionally, Denon has included a stereo analog minijack (3.5mm) input jack that lets you connect the Home Soundbar 550 to your TV without ARC or a digital output, or to a portable music player. This connection only supports 2ch PCM.
Note: The digital optical output of some flat-panel TVs only send an audio signal in 5.1ch when receiving Dolby Digital/DTS surround sound from the TV's built-in tuner, network connection, or connected USB device; and will output only 2ch stereo from sources connected to the TV via HDMI, or RCA (like your Blue-ray/DVD player or satellite/cable box).
USB Port: The Denon Home Soundbar 550 is fitted with a rear-panel USB (type-A) port that allows you to enjoy a variety of high-resolution and compressed music files from a USB mass storage class memory device, such as a USB thumbdrive (formatted in FAT 32). You'll be able to control your USB device's music and view song/artist info from the HEOS app on your Apple iOS or Android device. USB portable audio devices that can be charged via USB will be charged when plugged into the speaker's USB port (5V/1A); even in standby mode. USB audio can be distributed other HEOS products connected to your home network.
- Music Browsing: Use the HEOS app on your mobile device to browse your connected USB device's music library by Artist, Album, Genre, or Song. You can also type in an artist name or song title to find music in your USB device's library.
- Playback Control: Basic playback control from the included remote control or Heos app include includes Play/Pause and Previous/Next Track.
- Song/Artist Info: You are able to view song/artist information with Album Art from your inserted USB device on the HEOS app.
Note: It is not possible to connect and use a computer via the USB port of this unit using a USB cable. The USB port does not support Apple iOS or Android devices. USB hubs and card-readers are not supported.
High Resolution & Compressed Music Formats: The Denon Home Soundbar 550 supports compatibility with high-resolution audio files for the ultimate listening experience via select online music services, DLNA, and USB. Listen to uncompressed WAV (PCM), ALAC (Apple Lossless Audio Codec), and FLAC (Free Lossless Audio Codec) music files up to 24-bit/192-kHz; as well as DSD (2.8/5.6MHz). HEOS is also compatible with compressed music files - such as MP3, WMA, and AAC (MPEG4).
|Resolution||Compatible Audio Formats||Sampling Frequencies||Bit rate||Extension|
|Hi-Res||WAV (PCM)||32/44.1/48/96/176.4/192 kHz||16/24-bit||.wav|
|FLAC (Free Lossless Audio Codec)||44.1/48/96/176.4/192 kHz||16/24-bit||.flac|
|ALAC (Apple Lossless Audio Codec)||44.1/48/96/176.4/192 kHz||16/24-bit||.m4A|
|Compressed||MP3 (MPEG-1 Audio Layer-3)||32/44.1/48 kHz||32-320 kbps||.mp3|
|WMA (Windows Media Audio)||32/44.1/48 kHz||48-192 kbps||.wma|
|AAC (MPEG-4)||32/44.1/48 kHz||48-320 kbps||.aac/.m4a|
Built-in Bluetooth: The Denon Home Soundbar 550 features built-in Bluetooth 4.1 with a 98.4' wireless range for music streaming (A2DP 1.2) and control (AVRCP 1.5). You'll be able to wirelessly connect to smartphones (including iPhone & Android), tablets (including iPad & Android), laptops (including Microsoft Surface & Macbook), computers (including Windows PC & Mac), and other Bluetooth-enabled devices. Up to eight Bluetooth devices can be remembered by the Home Soundbar 550, so family members as well as friends can enjoy their favorite tracks (only one device can be used at a time)
- Wireless Music Streaming: You'll be able to wirelessly stream stored music, music apps, and other audio content from your Bluetooth-enabled source device to the Denon active soundbar speaker. The Home Soundbar 550 supports the Bluetooth SBC codec only.
- Wireless Music Control: You will also be able to control basic playback functions (Play/Pause, FF/RW, Skip) from the unit's top-panel controls (the remote does not offer playback control). Advanced music operation will still need to be handled from your Bluetooth-enabled source device. There is no song/artist information display on the soundbar; continue to use your Bluetooth device's screen to view song/artist info.
Note: Bluetooth hands-free communication for making and answering phone calls is not supported.
HEOS Wireless Multiroom Sound: The Denon Home Soundbar 550 is part of the HEOS wireless multiroom audio eco-system - comprising of a family of wireless network speakers, AV receivers, amplifiers, & pre-amplifiers for your whole home. There is a free HEOS app to control them from your Apple iOS or Android mobile device. You can enjoy your favorite streaming music services, internet radio, or your own music collection through out your home. Plus, set-up is intuitive and simple. To make HEOS wireless multi-room audio work in your home, you'll need.
- Denon's HEOS network audio speakers, receiver amplifiers, and/or pre-amplifiers
- a wireless (WiFi) home network with internet connection
- an Apple iOS or Android mobile device connected to your home wireless (WiFi) network
- the free HEOS app downloaded on your Apple iOS or Android device
Note: Prior to using the HEOS system, you'll need to setup up your free HEOS account. Your HEOS account remembers all your settings and preferences such as all your music service logins and HEOS playlists. When you'd like to add multiple smartphone or tablet controllers to your system, you only need to sign in to each new device with your HEOS user name and password. Instantly all your music services and HEOS playlists are available in the new controller too. If you prefer, multiple HEOS accounts can be setup in a single household. This way, each family member can enjoy their own personalized Pandora, Spotify, etc. account settings and still share all the same speakers in the home.
Wired or Wireless Network Connectivity: The Denon Home Soundbar 550 and HEOS uses your home's wireless (WiFi) network for whole-house audio entertainment. The Denon Home Soundbar 550 can connect to your home's network via Ethernet (RJ-45) or WiFi (802.11 a/b/g/n/ac). At least a dual-band (2.4/5GHZ) "N" router is recommended for the most reliable wireless network connection for high-resolution music playback. The free HEOS app for Apple iOS and Android is used for wireless (WiFi) setup with your home's network.
Note: A WiFi extender (sold separately) may be necessary if your network's wireless signal is weak to some of the HEOS speakers or players in your application.
Hi-Res & Audiophile-Grade Synchronization: To deliver a true audiophile listening experience for high-resolution music playback (up to 24-bit/192kHz) with multiple HEOS speakers & receivers at once, each HEOS speaker and receiver must be synchronized to an extremely high degree. Based on years of meticulous research, HEOS delivers unparalleled synchronization performance within microseconds for exceptional high-resolution music playback.
- HEOS Gen 2: HEOS Gen 2 (HS2) products, like the Denon Home Soundbar 550, will distribute high-resolution music files (up to 24-bit/192kHz) throughout your home to other HEOS Gen 2 (HS2) product; without any down-sampling.
- HEOS Gen 1: HEOS Gen 2 (HS2) products, like the Denon Home Soundbar 550, will down-sample high-resolution music files (up to 24-bit/192kHz) to CD-quality (16-bit/44.1kHz) and then distribute the music throughout your home to older HEOS Gen 1 product.
Online Music Services: You'll be able to stream your favorite online music service like Pandora, iHeart Radio, SiriusXM, Tidal, Amazon, Rhapsody, TuneIn, Spotify Connect, Amazon Music, and more. The HEOS app on your Apple iOS or Android device will serve as the controller for these apps and provide song/artist information with Album Art. You can create a "Favorite" station list, so you can quickly access your favorite internet radio stations and online music channels. These online music services can be distributed to other HEOS products connected to your home network.
- Amazon Music: Listen to millions of songs, thousands of playlists, and ad-free personalized stations with Amazon Prime & Unlimited Music. With the addition of Amazon Music HD, you will now be able to play Ultra HD music (24-bit/48kHz to 192kHz) on supported HEOS devices from the HEOS App when choosing Amazon Music. An Amazon Music (Prime, Unlimited, or HD) subscription will be required.
- TIDAL: TIDAL is a global streaming service that offers over 30 million songs in high-fidelity CD sound quality. TIDAL has two pricing tiers; either $9.99 or $19.99 a month. Both pricing levels allow you to access TIDAL's entire music library. The $19.99 tier has the added benefit of high-fidelity sound at CD-level quality.
- Spotify Connect: If you subscribe to Spotify and have the Spotify App on your Apple iOS or Android smartphone, you can stream Spotify to the HEOS system. Spotify is a digital music service that gives you on-demand access to one of the largest music libraries in the world (over 15 million tracks and counting). Spotify makes it easier than ever to discover, manage, and share music with your friends. You can browse music by artist, album, track, or most popular; and create your own music library with customized playlists.
- Pandora: Pandora is free, personalized radio that plays music and comedy you'll love. Just start with the name of one of your favorite artists, songs, comedians or composers and Pandora will create a custom station that plays similar tracks. You can also rate (thumbs up/thumbs down) songs as they play, and Pandora will adapt stations to your feedback. You can even bookmark up to 100 stations and easily switch between favorites.
- iHeart Radio: iHeartRadio is a free, all-in-one digital radio and music streaming service that lets you listen to thousands of live stations from across the country and allows you to create personalized custom stations featuring songs from the artist you select and similar music.
- TuneIn: The HEOS system includes access to more than 100,000 free internet radio streams from all corners of the globe via the TuneIn radio service. Just select the TuneIn logo from the main Music menu and browse among the 100,000 stations neatly organized into popular categories and select a station that appeals to your mood.
- SiriusXM: SiriusXM Internet Radio lets you listen to over 120 channels of commercial-free music, talk radio, news, sports, entertainment, and more.
- Napster: Napster is a streaming music subscription service (starting a $10 per month) that allows you to play the full-length songs you choose on demand from a collection of over 10 million songs, without ads and without having to purchase or download the music.
Note: Availability of online music services may vary by region. Not all services may be available at time of purchase. Some services may be added or discontinued from time to time based on decisions of the music service providers or others.
AirPlay 2 w/ Siri: AirPlay 2 is an advanced and easy-to-use wireless multiroom audio platform for iTunes, Apple Music, and other compatible Apple iOS apps. With AirPlay 2 you can play any sound from your Apple iOS device (running iOS 11.4 or later) or Mac computer (running OS X 10.13.2) on the Denon Home Soundbar 550 and other compatible AirPlay 2 speakers throughout your home. You will also be able to ask Siri-enabled devices (like your Apple iPhone, iPad, or Watch) to control playback of your Apple Music on the Denon Home Soundbar 550. You can choose to play audio in one room, play the same audio in grouped rooms, or play the same audio in every room. If you are an Apple Music subscriber, you can even play different music in different rooms (you can control and group directly from Apple's Music App and Home app on your Apple iOS device). You can even watch videos and movies from YouTube and Netflix on your compatible Apple iOS device or Mac computer with perfectly synced audio on the Denon Home Soundbar 550.
Note: AirPlay 2 does not support multiroom audio distribution via HEOS. Multiroom audio distribution can only be done with other AirPlay 2 compatible devices (sold separately).
Mobile Device Streaming: Using the HEOS app on your Apple iOS or Android mobile device, you are able to stream your device's music library to the Denon Home Soundbar 550. You'll be able to browse your music library by Artist, Album, Genre, and Song; control music playback functions like Play/Pause and Previous/Next Track; and view song/artist info with Album Art from the app on your compatible mobile device. You can even type in an artist name or song title to find music in your mobile device's library. Your device's music library can be distributed to other HEOS products connected to your home network.
- Playlists: You can save the Now Playing queue as a HEOS Playlist that you can recall later. The new playlist will be available from the Playlists button on the Music tab on the HEOS controller app.
- Music Sharing: The HEOS App also has a feature called "Music Sharing" which can share the local music stored on your mobile device to other HEOS app users on your home network. The name of the mobile device you are sharing from will appear as a new Local Music source allowing other HEOS controller apps to browse and play music on your device from their device.
DLNA Certified: The Denon Home Soundbar 550 is DLNA (Digital Living Network Alliance) 1.5 and Windows 7/8 compliant. This allows you to wirelessly stream a variety of high-resolution and compressed music files stored on your network connected Windows PC or DLNA-certified NAS drives to the Denon Home Soundbar 550. From the HEOS app on your Apple iOS or Android device you can browse music files, control playback and view song/artist information with album art. DLNA music content can be distributed to other HEOS products connected to your home network.
Multi-Room Configuration: Built-in HEOS technology enables the PMA-150H to become part of the HEOS by Denon wireless multi-room audio eco-system, allowing you to stream and control all of your local and online music effortlessly from anywhere in your home with the HEOS App on your compatible Apple iOS or Android mobile device over a wireless WiFi network connection. The HEOS system is a true multi-room audio system that automatically synchronizes audio playback between multiple HEOS devices so that your music (up to 24-bit/192kHz Hi-Res audio) coming from different rooms is perfectly in sync and always sounds amazing. You can play the same audio source in every room or any combination of rooms you choose, including a different song in every room.
- Systems & Groups: The HEOS wireless multiroom sound system can support up to 32 HEOS speakers, receivers, players, amplifiers, and/or pre-amplifiers (all sold separately) on a single wireless network (IEEE 802.11 g/n; 2.4/5GHz). You can join or group up to eight individual HEOS devices into a group that function as if they were a single source. The HEOS eco-system is flexible enough where you can create up to 16 Groups (2 Heos devices per Group). You can easily group 16 rooms together with Party Mode by simply using a "pinch" gesture.
- Compatible Sources: The following sources can be distributed through the HEOS multi-room audio system -
- TuneIn Internet Radio & Spotify Connect
- HEOS music apps (including Amazon, Pandora, Tidal, and more)
- Windows PC & DLNA music servers
- Bluetooth & USB audio (AirPlay is not supported)
- Music libraries stored on your Apple iOS or Android mobile device.
- Analog & Digital inputs (including HDMI, Optical, Minijack)
Note: A Group refers to the HEOS App's ability to play multiple HEOS systems together, so you're simultaneously outputting the same source information from all the HEOS systems. Grouping the systems will also allow proper synchronization to all systems so you should never hear an audio delay between the HEOS systems.
Remote Control: The Denon Home Soundbar 550 comes with an IR remote for basic control of the soundbar speaker. Basic control functions include Power, Source Volume/Mute, Nigh/Dialog Enhancer, Bass & Treble, as well as Quick Select functions. The Home Soundbar 550 is also pre-programmed to work with select television's IR remote controls and offers support for HDMI CEC.
- Pre-Programmed: The Denon Home Sound Bar 550 has most of the leading television remote control codes built-in, so you can control the soundbar speaker with your TV’s remote. Compatible TVs include Samsung, LG, Sony, and Vizio. Control functions include Power on/off & Volume up/down.
- HDMI Control: You can switch off the power, switch input source and adjust the volume of this system using your TV's remote control over an HDMI connection. Your TV also needs to be compatible with the HDMI control function. This function may not operate due to connected devices or settings.
- Quick Select: Three Quick Select buttons can be programmed for easy access of your favorite functions and radio stations from the IR remote.
Proximity Sensing Controls: The Denon Home Soundbar 550's proximity sensing top-panel control interface is activated as soon as your hand approaches. When your hand gets close to the soundbar, its top-panel controls lights up, allowing for easy operation of volume adjustment, play/pause, and previous/next track functions.
HEOS App: You'll need to download the HEOS App (for Apple iOS 9.0+ and Android OS 5.0) onto your compatible Apple iOS or Android mobile device. The app is required and provides everything you need to set up and enjoy music on the HEOS system. Using your mobile device and the HEOS app, you can setup, browse, explore, and control HEOS system right in the palm of your hand, from anywhere in your home. Your compatible Apple iOS or Android device must be connected to the same home wireless (WiFi) network as the HEOS speaker system. The HEOS app consists of 4 control screens.
- Settings: The "Settings" screen enables you to connect one or more HEOS speakers, receivers, amplifiers, and/or pre-amplifiers to your home's wireless network. You also get access to Bass & Treble.
- Rooms: From the app on your Apple iOS or Android device, you can select which rooms you want playing. You can play the same music in multiple rooms by grouping rooms together, or you can listen to a different source in each room.
- Music/Sources: You can select what music and which source you want to listen to from the app. Choose from online music services like Pandora, Spotify, TuneIn, Tidal, etc.; your music library on your Apple iOS or Android device, Windows PC/DLNA server, or USB thumbdrive; and HDMI, Digital, or Aux inputs; as well as Bluetooth on the Denon Home Soundbar 550. You can also select music from Playlists you've created, Favorites you've saved, and your recent listening History.
- Now Playing: The "Now Playing" screen displays song, artist, and album information; along with Album Art. You also get basic playback controls like Play/Pause and Previous/Next Track, plus Volume controls Up/Down and Mute. In addition the "Now Play" screen functions unique to the selected online music service or music library.
Works With Amazon Alexa: HEOS and Amazon Alexa customers can now enjoy the convenience of Alexa voice control plus high-quality wireless home audio. In addition to controlling your HEOS components with the HEOS app on your mobile device or tablet, you can now control them with Amazon Alexa voice technology and an Amazon Alexa device (such as the Amazon Echo - sold separately). You'll need to download the the Alexa app (for Apple iOS 11.0+ and Android OS 6.0+) onto your compatible smartphone or tablet device to setup and enable Alexa voice control. Voice control functions include -
- Alexa voice commands include Volume (up/down, specific volume number, & mute); Playback (Play, Pause, Stop, Next, Previous, Resume); and Power (on/off). Plus, you can even use Alexa to switch inputs on HEOS enabled AV receivers and soundbars.
- You can group your HEOS-enabled devices using the HEOS app with an Alexa-friendly name. Once they are grouped, Alexa voice commands will control the group as a whole. If you want to play audio content from only one HEOS-enabled device in the group, you must ungroup the device within the HEOS app.
- You are able use voice commands to search for songs, albums and artists and even podcasts and internet stations from HEOS & Alexa compatible music apps - like Amazon Music, Pandora, TuneIn, iHeartRadio, Spotify Connect, & SiriusXM.
- For a list of current Alexa voice commands supported by the HEOS HomeEntertainment Skill, click here. For setup instructions, click here.
- You will need an Alexa-enabled device (Echo, Echo Dot, Echo Show, etc. - all sold separately) to operate your HEOS products via voice-command. Your HEOS components and the Alex-enabled devices must be on the same network. Make sure the unit has the latest HEOS software and firmware update installed.
- An Alexa Built-In firmware update is scheduled by the end of 2021, so you don't need a separate Alexa-enabled device to control the soundbar.
Works With Google Assistant: Ask your Google Home speaker or other devices with Google Assistant built-in to control HEOS content across your listening environment. Once you start music in the HEOS app, you can ask the Google Assistant to control volume, play, pause, skip tracks, and more. Once you have grouped your HEOS-enabled devices using the HEOS app, you can use the Google Assistant and voice commands to control a group of HEOS devices as a whole. You'll need to download the Google Home app (for Apple iOS 12.0+ and Android OS 5.0+) onto your compatible smartphone or tablet device to setup and enable Google Assistant Support.
- A future firmware update (no ETA) will allow you to use the Google Assistant and your voice to queue up music services, power on/off devices, switch inputs and more.
- Click here for more info on Google Assistant for HEOS.
Note: You will need a Google Home or Google Assistant-enabled device (sold separately) to operate your HEOS products via voice-command. Your HEOS components and the Google Assistant-enabled device must be on the same network. Make sure the unit has the latest HEOS software and firmware update installed.
Standby Modes: The Denon Home Soundbar 550 features two standby modes to save power.
- Auto Standby: To save power, the speaker system will automatically enter Standby mode whenever there is no audio signal or control for 20 minutes and will automatically resume whenever the speaker is selected and playing music again. There is no visible indicator or LED that will show that the speaker is in Standby as it is a fully automatic function.
- Deep Standby: The speaker also has the ability to automatically enter "Deep Standby" whenever their is no wired or wireless audio connection for more than 60 minutes. The front panel LED will turn off during Deep Standby. To "wake" the speaker system from Deep Standby, you must press the volume or mute buttons which will immediately turn on the front panel LED.
Firmware Updates: Firmware and software updates from HEOS are delivered to the Denon Home Soundbar 550 via your home network's Internet connection. When such updates become available, you will be notified when you open the HEOS app on your Apple iOS or Android device.
Mounting & Placement Options: The soundbar of the Home Soundbar 550 can be table-top mounted or wall mounted (keyholes slots are provided for wall-mounting the speaker). The soundbar speaker should be placed as close as possible to the television screen. It should be centered left-to-right with the screen, and ideally no more than a few inches above or below. The most common location is below the screen.
Power Requirements: The Denon Home Soundbar 550 active soundbar speaker will need to be plugged into an AC wall outlet or surge protector (sold separately) using the included 6.5" AC power cord.