About the Delphi SKYFi3
Enjoy the wide variety of XM music, news, talk, and sports programming with Delphi's compact SKYFi3 plug-and-play satellite radio. You can listen live, or use the built-in recorder to store up to 10 hours of programming.
The built-in 30-minute memory allows you to pause live XM broadcasts or repeat what you've been listening to. Load a microSD card full of MP3s into the SKYFi3, then create custom playlists by mixing your own songs and your recorded XM content. A large 2.8" screen delivers channel, artist, and song information using text that's easy to see, even in bright sunlight.
The SKYFi3 comes with everything you need to mount it in your car. Use the built-in wireless FM transmitter to broadcast the signal through your vehicle's FM radio.* The built-in battery lets you use it as a portable, and an optional kit provides a bigger battery and an antenna for live XM reception when you're out of the car. An optional home kit lets you use it with your in-home music system as well.
Save the names of up to 20 song titles and/or artist names, and the SKYFi3 will alert you anytime one of them is playing. You can also save 99 of your favorite channels as presets, or schedule the SKYFi3 to record future programming. Hear a song you like? The included XM + Napster software allows you to bookmark songs you like, then go online and purchase them through Napster.
Note: A subscription to XM is also required — learn about XM's programming. Satellite radio service is available only within Canada and the lower 48 states not available in Hawaii or U.S. territories. Portable reception may vary by location. If you have questions about the proposed XM/SIRIUS merger, read the XM Customer Promise. To view this file, you will need the Adobe Acrobat PDF reader.
*Important note from Crutchfield: Current FCC rules limit the transmission strength of wireless FM transmitters to a point where transmission needs to take place very near your FM antenna. XM includes a SureConnect cable with its car kits in order to address this issue, but Crutchfield strongly encourages customers to use an auxiliary input, wired FM modulator, or cassette adapter to ensure your satisfaction with the performance and cosmetics of this satellite radio.
- plug-and-play XM satellite radio with MP3/WMA player
- car mounting kit includes: roof-mount antenna, cradle, mounting brackets, power adapter, remote control
- wireless FM transmitter (includes XM SureConnect cable) allows reception over any in-dash FM stereo
- built-in rechargeable battery
- internal memory for storage of up to 10 hours of XM programming, including individual songs and blocks of XM programming
- 30-minute memory buffer for pause and playback of live broadcasts
- microSD card slot for MP3/WMA file playback
- USB input for uploading MP3s from your computer
- XM + Napster software for purchasing music online
- 20-song/artist TuneSelect memory alerts you when songs or artists you've saved are playing on XM
- scheduled-recording capability
- 30 channel presets
- 2.8" display can be oriented horizontally or vertically and shows channel, artist, and song information
- weight: 4.1 oz
- 2-7/16"W x 4-5/16"H x 3/4"D
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # SA10224-11B1
What's in the box:
- Portable XM Satellite Radio Receiver
- Wireless remote control with installed CR2032 battery
- Vehicle cradle dock
- 39" USB cable with type-A connector on one end and a mini-type-B connector on other end
- Magnetic vehicle antenna with attached 21.5' cord with single SMB connector
- Vehicle power adapter with attached 39" cord
- Earbud headphones with attached 44" cord with single 3.5mm minijack connector
- Vehicle swivel mount
- Vehicle vent mount
- 18.5' XM SureConnect cable with single SMB connector
- XM SureConnect contact bracket
- Rubber boot
- 2" Rubber tubing
- 3 Wire ties
- Alcohol prep pad
- Surface preparation cleaning pad
- SKYFi3 software disc
- User Guide
- Vehicle Quick/Install Guide
- Car Kit Guide
- XM SureConnect Installation Guide
- Product registration on-line sheet
- "Important SKYFi3 Software Update" note
- "Need Help?" note
- Vent clip installation diagram
- "Attention" note
- XM channel guide
More details on the Delphi SKYFi3
Overview: The Delphi SKYFi3 XM Satellite receiver works as both a portable player and a plug-and-play receiver. This package includes everything you need for in-car use. The car kit includes a magnetic roof-mount antenna, a cradle (where all connections are made), two mounting brackets, a DC power adapter, wireless remote control and a XM SureConnect cable. If your in-dash receiver has an auxiliary input, you can connect the SKYFi3's cradle directly to it with an optional minijack-to-RCA cable. The SKYFi3 also features a built-in wireless FM transmitter. The SKYFi3 features a MicroSD card slot and USB connection to download MP3 and WMA files to your SKYFi3. The receiver comes supplied with the USB cable and a pair of earbud headphones. The micro SD card is sold separately.
XM Satellite Radio: XM Satellite Radio programming offers more than 170 digital radio channels including 69 channels of commercial free music, plus news, sports, talk, comedy, and other entertainment programming from coast to coast.
Backlit Display: The SKYFi3 features a large 2.8 inch LCD backlit 9-line display that allows for either vertical or horizontal orientation. The Display screen offers two modes.
- Live XM Mode: The screen
displays the following information in the Live XM mode.
- Signal strength from 0 to 3 bars
- Battery level and charging status
- Listening/User mode
- Direct/Favorites indicator
- Channel Icon, Channel Name and Channel Number
- Artist name
- Song Title
- Information Extras such as Stock and Sports Tickers
- My Music Mode: The screen
displays the following information in the My Music mode.
- Available memory used and unused
- Battery level and charging status
- Listening/User mode
- Title Bar (All Songs, Artist, Category, Channel, Session)
- Artist name
- Song title
- Elapsed time
- Song length
- Song position
Display Appearance: When you are in the Live XM Mode you can choose between the default font size or a larger font size. The artist and title information will scroll when you are in the Large Font size mode. The LCD display will also allow you to adjust the Brightness, Contrast and Backlight Timer for both the Live XM mode and the My Music mode.
Battery: The SKYFi3 uses an integrated Lithium Ion rechargeable battery that can be charged from the supplied car kit's vehicle power adapter or the supplied USB cable when connected to your PC. The battery should be fully charged for 3 hours before initial use.
Pause and Replay: The SKYFi3 features a 30 minute Pause-Replay function that continuously and automatically saves the last 30 minutes of music, sports, comedy or talk radio regardless of whether the user changes channels on its built-in 32 MB internal RAM. At any point during live listening, you can pause a song or program with a single press of a button and as long as playback resumes within 30 minutes, you can enjoy what you would have otherwise missed.
Internal Memory: The Delphi SKYFi3 can store up to 10 hours of XM programming on its non-removable 256 MB internal flash memory. Recordings can be started anytime during the live listening mode or by using SKYFi3's scheduled recording feature. A subscription to XM must be maintained to listen to stored XM programming.
Removable Memory: The SKYFi3 features a MicroSD card slot that will accept up to a 2 GB MicroSD card. Using the mini-USB type-B connection on the receiver you can download MP3 and WMA files from XM+Napster from your PC onto your SKYFi3's optional MicroSD card. You can listen to these music files with the supplied headphones, supplied car kit or optional home kit.
FM Modulator: The SKYFi3 offers a built-in FM modulator that allows you to wirelessly transmit an FM signal from the SKYFi3 to your car's radio. This allows the broadcasting of XM radio through Car radio's FM station. You can adjust the FM output to match your vehicle's FM signal when the unit is docked in the car cradle.
Important Note from Crutchfield: Current FCC rules limit the transmission strength of wireless FM transmitters to a point where transmission needs to take place very near your FM antenna. XM includes the SureConnect wiring with the car kit in order to address this issue, but Crutchfield strongly encourages customers to use an auxiliary input, wired FM modulator, or cassette adapter to ensure satisfaction with the performance and cosmetics of this satellite radio.
Information Extras: The SKYFi3 features the ability to display the latest stock quotes and sports scores at the bottom of it's LCD screen. You can track up to 20 stock symbols and see their prices and movements.
EQ: The SKYFi3 allows you to set the tone quality for the unit to match the type of music you are listening to.
Firmware Updates: You can check for and download firmware updates at any time by plugging the SKYFi3 into your PC and going to http://FWUPDT.xmradio.com.
Live XM Mode: You may listen to live XM content only when the SKYFi3 is docked to the supplied vehicle cradle, optional home cradle or optional portable cradle. The Live XM Mode offers the following features.
- Channel Selection: You can select
channels from the Live XM mode by using the following functions.
- Channel Browsing: scrolls the full list of channels
- Direct Entry: enter the channel number directly from the remote or dock
- Category Browsing: scrolls the list of channel categories from the channel list
- Favorites: access your favorite channels (presets)
- Replaying XM Content: The SKYFi3 is
equipped with a 30 minute buffer that automatically records the last 30
minutes of music played. You can access this 30 minute buffer at anytime to
replay XM content. The following music search functions are available for XM
- Skip: skips to the previous or next song in the order that they played in
- Rewind/Fast Forward: rewinds or fast forwards through the current recorded song or songs
- Quick Rewind/Fast Forward: increases the fast forward and rewind speeds up to 4 speed levels
Note: XM Instant Traffic and Weather cannot be replayed.
- Recording: The SKYFi3 can record up to 10 hours worth of XM content. You can record while listening to Live XM or by scheduling a recording session. When listening to Live XM, you can record the current song or begin recording the current channel. You can then listen to your recorded XM anywhere with the SKYFi3 and organize your recorded content into playlists. To record XM content you must dock the SKYFi3 in either the supplied car or optional home cradle.
Note: Recorded XM contents is for personal, non-commercial use only and cannot be downloaded from the SKYFi3 to another device.
- Delayed Start Recording: The Delayed Start Recording feature gives you 45 seconds from the start of the song to press RECORD and capture all of the song, as long as you have been tuned to that channel for at least 45 seconds.
- Scheduled Recording: The SKYFi3
allows you to set a particular period of time for the unit to record. To
schedule a recording session, the SKYFi3 must be on with an XM signal or off
and in a powered home or car dock. You will need to enter in the following
criteria for the unit to record a scheduled session.
- When: choose from Today, Everyday, or a select a specific Date
- Start: select a start time
- End: select an end time
- Channel: pick the channel you want to record
- Tune Select: The Tune Select feature allows you to setup a list of songs or artists that the SKYFi3 will alert you of when one of them is playing on any XM channel.
- Favorites: The SKYFi3 has three banks of favorites or presets (A, B, C) that you can save 10 items in each bank, giving you a total of 30 XM presets.
My Music Mode: The SKYFi3 gives you the ability to listen to recorded XM content or downloaded MP3/WMA files through the My Music mode function. The My Music Mode offers the following features.
- Music Access: In addition to accessing a list of your song in the order that they were recorded, you can also access your music by Artist, Category, Channel, and Recording Session.
- Playlists: The SKYFi3 allows you to create your own playlists. Playlists contain a list of songs that are organized to play in a certain sequence. You can add a song to more than one playlist.
- Playback Modes: The SKYFi3 offers the ability to randomly playback the order of your recorded songs or repeat the current song.
- Locking Songs: Once the SKYFi3's internal memory is full, subsequent recordings will replace stored songs in the order they were recorded. You can lock songs to prevent them from being replaced.
Auxiliary Mode: You can use the SKYFi3 with an external audio source by attaching it to the line-input jack on the car cradle. This will allow you to listen to the external source through the SKYFi3 from your car stereo's sound system.
Controls: The SKYFi3 offers the following controls on the front panel and right side of the unit.
- Front Panel:
- Display Orientation
- Power/Mode Button
- Arrow Keys (used for menu selections and song searches)
- Right Side:
- Volume Up/Down
- Hold/Lock switch
Connections: The SKYFi3 features the following connections on the top and bottom of the unit.
- Top of Receiver:
- Headphone Jack: 3.5mm jack for supplied earbud style headphones
- MicroSD Slot: MicroSD Card slot for optional MicroSD card up to 2GB
- Bottom of Receiver:
- Dock Connector: connection for supplied car dock and optional home dock
- Power Connector: connection for supplied vehicle power adapter and optional AC adapter
- USB Connector: mini-type-B USB connector for supplied USB cable for hookup to your PC
Vehicle Kit (SA10226): The SKYFi3 comes supplied with a vehicle docking kit. The kit includes a docking cradle, wireless remote control, magnetic antenna, XM SureConnect cable, vehicle power adapter and two mounting brackets.
- Docking Cradle: The Docking cradle
includes the following connections and controls.
- Connections: The vehicle dock offers a dock connection for the SKYFi3 receiver to slide into for operation in your vehicle. The vehicle dock features an SMB antenna connection and 5 V DC connection on the rear panel. The 5 V DC connection allows you to easily power the SKYFi3 using the supplied vehicle power adapter (cigarette lighter adapter). The dock also features a Line Out connection on the left side to allow you to directly connect the SKYFi3 to your in-dash head-unit's auxiliary input, if equipped. On the right side, the dock features a Line In connection which allows you to input an external source into the SKYFi3 such as a portable MP3 player and have it playback through the SKYFi3's docking cradle and your car's stereo system.
- Controls: The car dock features 0-9 back-lit number keys which allow you to either directly access XM stations or use them as your favorite XM presets. The dock also offers a record button to record the current song playing.
- Wireless Remote Control: The Car Kit
comes supplied with a full function IR wireless remote control. The remote
features the following functions.
- Power On/Off
- Arrow Keys (use to select songs or as search function)
- Mode (Live XM, My Music or Aux)
- Favorite or Direct channel access
- 0-9 Number keypad
- Display (Horizontal or Vertical display view)
- Volume Up/Down
- Jump (returns to previous channel)
- Vehicle Mounts: The car kit give you
two different mounting methods for vehicle.
- Swivel Mount: The swivel mount clips on to the car docking cradle and has an adhesive backing to allow you to stick the swivel mount to either your dash or console. The swivel mount rotates 360-degrees and moves up and down 45-degrees to give you the best viewing angle possible.
- Vent Mount: The vent mount also clips to the back of the car docking cradle but it is designed to clip on to one of your air vents in your car. The vent mount uses spring-type arms to secure itself to your air vent. The vent mount can also rotate 360-degrees but it cannot move up or down.
- Vehicle Power Adapter: The vehicle kit comes equipped with a vehicle power adapter (cigarette lighter adapter) that allows you to easily supply power to the SKYFi3 by using the cigarette lighter or accessory plug in your vehicle. The adapter plugs into the back of the docking cradle.
- Magnetic Antenna: The Vehicle Kit comes supplied with a magnetic antenna that offers a 21.5" cord with a single SMB connector. The antenna is designed to plug directly into the vehicle dock. The antenna's magnetic backing will adhere to your vehicle's sheet metal. The antenna is very low-profile only measuring 1.399" wide, 1.724" deep, and 0.527" tall.
- XM SureConnect Cable: The kit also features an XM SureConnect cable that improves FM frequency transmission between your vehicle's FM antenna an the built-in wireless FM transmitter inside the receiver. You will want to place the XM antenna as close to your FM antenna as possible. The SureConnect cable can then be clipped to your FM antenna if you have a fixed mount antenna or stuck to the interior of the windshield if you have an In-Glass FM antenna. The SureConnect cable plugs into the vehicle dock's antenna plug and the XM antenna then plugs into the SureConnect cable. The SureConnect cable cannot be used on retractable or motorized FM antennas.
Note: If you're not able to use the XM SureConnect cable, you'll need to use either the supplied tape adapter (if applicable) or the optional wired FM method of installation using the optional FM direct adapter (item 040SA10112, sold separately). If your headunit has an auxiliary input you can use the line-out connection.
Optional Home Kit (SA10227): The SKYFi3 can also be used with your home stereo system via the optional Home Kit (sold separately). It comes supplied with a home dock, home antenna, RCA cable, full-function IR wireless remote control and AC power adaptor.
Optional Portable Live Kit (SA10228 or SA10252): The SKYFi3 comes supplied with earbud headphone so you can listen to recorded XM broadcasts or downloaded MP3/WMA files. It can also be used as a portable Live XM device via the optional Portable Live Kit (sold separately). The kit consists of an over-the-head headphone set that features a built-in XM antenna, portable dock, armband and sports case. The SA10228 portable kit also includes an extended life battery.
XM+Napster Software: The Delphi SKYFi3 comes supplied with a XM+Napster Software disc that allows you to download MP3 and WMA files onto the optional microSD card of the SKYFi3. The SKYFi3 receiver must already be activated before using this software. Before connecting the SKYFi3 unit to your PC you must first install the software disc. The software allows you to do the following.
- Transfer digital audio files (MP3/WMA) between an optional MicroSD Card in the SKYfi3 and your PC.
- Manage your music, playlists and recording sessions on your SKYFi3.
- Search for and purchase music from XM+Napster.
- Listen to XM Radio On-Line.
- For a monthly fee you can download and listen to Napster's entire music library
- You may also transfer ripped CDs directly that have been downloaded to your XM+Napster library via an optional MicroSD car reader (sold separately).
Note: Delphi recommends that you do not create or add songs more than eight folders from the root folder of the MicroSD card. Folder and file names should be limited to a maximum of 128 characters.
System Requirements: In order to use XM+Napster and the Firmware Update Tool, the minimum system requirements are as follows:
- PC Requirements:
- Intel Pentium-class CPU
- Microsoft Windows XP Home SP2, Windows XP Professional SP2, or Windows 2000 SP4 operating system
- At least 64 MB of RAM
- At least 13 MB of available hard disk space for XM+Napster application
- Internet Explorer 5.1 or higher
- Windows Media Player 9 or higher; Windows Media Player 10 recommended for Windows XP
- Active Internet connection; recommends a broadband (cable, DSL, or fiber) connection for optimal performance
- USB port required
Note: Delphi currently does not support the following operating systems - Window 95, Windows 98, Windows NT, and Windows Me
- Mac Requirements: (you
will only be able to copy files; you will not be able to organize your audio
files through XM+Napster)
- USB port required
- Macintosh Finder
Receiver Dimensions: W = 2.423", H = 4.407", D = 0.695"
Dock Dimensions: W = 2.541", H = 3.261", D = 1.705"
Receiver in Dock: W = 2.541", H = 5.498", D = 1.705"
Receiver in Dock with Swivel Mount: W = 2.541", H = 5.498", D = 2.485"
Receiver in Dock with Vent Mount: W = 2.541", H = 5.498", D = 3.405"
Receiver Weight: 0.253 lbs
Remote: W = 1.651", H = 3.745", D = 0.458"
Antenna: W = 1.399", H = 0.527", D = 1.724" (cord length = 21.5")