About the JVC KD-R490
Simple and solid
Simple and solid
JVC's KD-R490 CD receiver delivers strong sound, while it offers several ways to get your music going while you're on the road. First of all, you can plug your Android™ into the USB port on the front panel, and run your music with the JVC's controls. Second, you can choose from a sensitive AM/FM tuner, an auxiliary input, or a CD player. You can run the show using the simple controls on the detachable faceplate or with the included wireless remote control.
Play your music
Got a library of MP3, WMA, WAV, or FLAC music files? You can also use the front-panel USB port to plug in a thumb drive full of music. And if your tunes are stored on a portable device with a headphone output, like a portable high-res player, you can plug it into the front-panel auxiliary input. Finally, you can go old school by sliding a CD in or tuning in your favorite AM or FM station.
Setting up your audio and display
A built-in 3-band parametric equalizer, fifteen EQ preset settings, and loudness controls let you zero in on just the right sound. JVC included one set of preamp outputs, so you can plug in a powered subwoofer to add some bass punch to your music. If you add a subwoofer, you can tweak the sub's sound using this receiver's low-pass filter and level controls.
Want to keep your car's steering wheel audio controls?
In most cars, you'll need an adapter to retain those controls with this car stereo. Connect a few wires, then program the adapter for your particular car and radio, and you'll retain the convenience of your steering wheel controls. You'll see the adapters that work with your vehicle when you add this receiver to your cart.
- CD receiver with AM/FM tuner
- built-in MOSFET amplifier (22 watts RMS/50 peak x 4 channels)
- built-in control and charging of select Android devices (Android version 4.1 and higher) using the USB connection
- compatible with USB flash drives loaded with MP3, WMA, WAV, and FLAC music files (FLAC files up to 16-bit/48kHz)
- plays CDs, CD-Rs, and CD-RW discs, including discs loaded with MP3 and WMA music files
- detachable face with 13-digit LCD display with red button illumination
- wireless remote control
- 3-band parametric equalizer with 15 EQ presets
- 3-position loudness control
- low-pass filter and subwoofer level control
- inputs: front auxiliary input and USB port with sliding cover (no iPod/iPhone control)
- outputs: 2-channel preamp outputs (2.5-volt rear/sub)
Other Features and Specs:
- compatible with most factory steering wheel audio controls (adapter required)
- includes English and Spanish menu settings
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # KD-R490
What's in the box:
- CD receiver (10A fuse)
- Face (attached)
- Sleeve (installed)
- Trim ring (installed)
- Wiring harness
- Remote control (RM-RK52)
- CR2025 3V Lithium battery (installed in remote)
- 2 Radio removal tools
- Face-fixing screw
- Instruction Manual (En/Fr/Sp)
- Warranty Information
- Face-fixing screw note
More details on the JVC KD-R490
Features & specs
|Backup Camera Input||No|
|Second Camera Input||No|
|Memory Card Slot||USB memory|
|Satellite Radio Ready||No|
|RMS Power (CTA-2006)||N/A|
|RMS Power (Manufacturer)||22 watts|
|Peak Output||50 watts|
|RMS Power Bandwidth||20-20kHz|
|Sub Preamp Outputs||No|
|Switchable Rear Preamp Outputs||Yes|
|Navigation App Compatible (iOS)|
|Navigation App Compatible (Android)|
|Preamp Voltage||2.5 volts|
|Key Button Color||Red|
|Steering Wheel Control Compatible||Adapter required|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
|FM Sensitivity||8.2 dBf|
|Radio Data System||Yes|
|Music File Playback||MP3, WMA, WAV, FLAC|
Android Open Accessory 2.0 (AOA 2.0) Connectivity: The JVC KD-R490's front-panel USB port lets you connect your AOA 2.0 compatible Android OS 4.1-7.1.2 smartphone for music playback. JVC does not guarantee operation with all Android devices, regardless of operating system. There are two Android AOA 2.0 modes to choose from based on what content you want to listen to and how you want to control it.
- Audio Mode: The JVC KD-R490 supports Android Open Accessory 2.0 (AOA 2.0), which lets you connect your Android (OS 4.1-7.1.2) smartphone to the KD-R490's front-panel USB port and listen to stored music and music apps from your Android device through the JVC head unit. You'll be able to control basic playback functions such as Play/Pause and Previous/Next Track. Other advanced music navigation will still be done from your Android smartphone's touchscreen. In this mode, the head unit will not display song/artist information; only "Audio Mode" will show up on display. You'll continue to view song/artist information from the Android device's touchscreen. You'll also still be able to access other functions and applications from your Android smartphone's touchscreen, while listening to music through the head unit. If you make a call or answer a call from your smartphone while listening to music in this mode, the music will pause until you are finished with the call and then start back up again.
- JVC Music Play App (Auto Mode): Downloading the JVC Music Play app onto your Android (OS 4.1-7.1.2) smartphone not only allows you to listen to stored music from your Android device through the JVC CD receiver connected via USB, but it also lets you browse your Android smartphone's music library from the head unit's front-panel controls. You can browse your store music library by Playlist, Artist, Song, Album, or Genre. The contents of a Playlist or Category can be searched alphabetically or numerically. You can also control Play/Pause and Previous/Next track from the head unit. In addition, the head unit will display song/artist information. You can exit the JVC Music Play app to access other functions and applications of your Android smartphone, while your stored music library is still playing through your head unit. If you make a call or answer a call from your smartphone while listening to music in this mode, the music will pause until you are finished with the call and then start back up again.
Note: The head unit's USB connection provides 1A of current to power and charge your connected Android smartphone when your vehicle's ignition switch is set to the 'ACC' or 'On' position (if your Android device has no initial battery charge, then the unit will not recognize it).
Front-Panel Auxiliary Input: A front-panel stereo minijack is provided to allow the connection of almost any portable audio source with a 3.5mm headphone output. Simply connect your portable digital music player to the unit's front-panel auxiliary input, and you can listen to the audio from the portable player through the speakers in your mobile audio system.
Disc Compatibility: The unit features a single disc player that will playback CD-Audio and finalized CD-R/CD-RW audio discs. The unit also supports playback of MP3 & WMA music files loaded onto CD-R/RW discs.
- Off Insert/Eject: A CD disc can be inserted or ejected with the power off. When a disc is inserted with the power off, the unit will automatically power up and begin playback.
- Auto Reload: If the ejected disc is not removed within 20 seconds, the disc is automatically inserted again into the loading slot to protect it from dust. The source will change to CD, and the disc will begin playback, even if you have another source selected at the time.
Note: For proper disc playback you must install the unit within 30-degrees of horizontal.
USB Mass Storage Devices: The JVC KD-R490 features a front-panel USB (type-A) port that is hidden behind a flip-out cover. The USB port enables connection of USB mass storage class (MSC) devices; like USB thumbdrives, USB card readers, or portable digital music players. You can insert a compatible USB MSC device into the head unit's USB port for playback, control, and song/artist display of a variety of music files.
- Drive Change: The head unit's Drive Change mode lets you switch between multiple memory cards in a USB multi-card reader. When a mass storage class (MSC) compatible smartphone or portable digital audio player is connected to the head unit's USB input, the unit's Drive Change mode lets you select its internal memory or external memory (such as an SD card) for stored music playback.
- USB Charging: USB devices that can be charged via USB will be charged when plugged into the CD receiver's USB port (max. 1A), and the vehicle's ignition switch is set to ACC or On.
Note: Not compatible with USB hubs. This unit's USB port is not compatible with Apple iPod/iPhone/iPad.
Compatible Music Files: The JVC KD-R490 supports the following types of music files recorded onto CD-R/RW discs or loaded onto a USB mass storage class device.
|Media Type||CD (-R/RW)||USB (MSC)|
|File System||ISO9660 Level 1/2, Joliet, or Long file name||FAT 12/16/32|
|Playable File Types||MP3:
bit rate of 8-320kbps w/ sampling rate of 8-48kHz |
WMA: bit rate of 32-192kbps w/ sampling rate of 8-48kHz
bit rate of 8-320kbps w/ sampling rate of 8-48kHz |
WMA: bit rate of 32-192kbps w/ sampling rate of 8-48kHz
WAV: bit depth of 16-bit w/ sampling frequency of 48kHz
FLAC: bit depth of 16-bit w/ sampling frequency of 48kHz
|Maximum # of Folders/Files||999 folders/20,490 files (999 files per folder)|
|Tags||ID3 tag (version 1.0/1.1/2.2/2.3/2.4), WMA tag, FLAC tag|
Playback & Search Functions: The JVC KD-R490 offers a variety of playback and search functions to help you find and enjoy your music on disc and USB.
- Track/Folder List: The Track/Folder List displays a list of music folders and tracks on an inserted CD or USB device, so you can easily access your music.
- Repeat: Track Repeat (plays the current track repeatedly), Folder Repeat (plays all tracks of the current folder repeatedly), Off (cancels repeat function)
- Random: Folder Random (plays all tracks of the current folder, then the tracks of the next folder in random), All Random (plays all tracks of the current disc at random), Off (cancels random function)
- Resume: If you change the source, playback also stops (without ejecting the disc or USB device). Next time you select CD or USB for the playback source, the player will start from where it has been stopped previously.
24 Bit D/A Converter: The JVC KD-R490 in-dash CD receiver utilizes a 24-bit (DAC (digital-to-analog converter) for superior sound quality.
MOSFET Amplifier: The JVC KD-R490 is equipped with a MOSFET amplifier. Compared to conventional power supplies, the MOSFET amplification circuit is smaller and more efficient, and it delivers increased power with less distortion and absolutely zero on/off switching noise. More power means louder and cleaner music at higher volumes because you're not pushing the limits of the amplification circuit. The power output specs for the KD-R490 are as follows:
- Full Bandwidth Power: 22 watts RMS x 4 channels (at 4 ohms, 20-20kHz, 1% THD)
- Maximum Output Power: 50 watts x 4 channels (200 total watts)
2.5V/2CH Preamp Output: The KD-R490 is equipped with two 2.5V preamp outputs (Rear/SW). You can set the Rear/SW preamp outputs for connecting a pair of full-range rear speakers (through an external amplifier) or for connecting a subwoofer (through an external amplifier). When set for rear speakers, the rear outputs operate with the unit's fader control. When set for subwoofer, the outputs are non-fading.
Subwoofer Controls: When the unit's Rear/SW preamp output is set to Subwoofer, you can set the cutoff frequency of the low-pass filter at 55Hz, 85Hz, or 120Hz. You can also adjust the subwoofer phase between 180° (reverse) or 0° (normal). In addition, you can adjust the head unit's subwoofer level between -8 and +8 (separate from the main volume level).
Subwoofer Speaker Connection: You can connect a subwoofer to this head unit without the need of a separate power amplifier. Simply connect a single subwoofer (4-8 ohm) directly to head unit's left rear speaker leads (the right rear speaker output will be muted). The rated power output for the subwoofer speaker channel remains 22 watts. Same subwoofer controls apply, except the, subwoofer level adjustment is from -6 to+3.
Pro EQ: The KD-R490 is equipped with JVC's Pro EQ. The integrated equalizer offers 13 preset sound modes (Flat, Hard Rock, Jazz, Pop, Hip-Hop, R&B, Talk, Vocal Boost, Bass Boost, Classical, Dance, DRVN, & User ) suitable for the music genre of your choice. The DRVN EQ preset helps you hear your music over road noise by boosting certain frequencies ranges that becomes hard to hear due to road noise. The User mode allows you to manually adjust the head unit's 3-band parametric EQ (Frequency, Level, and Q-Factor).
|Bass||60, 80, 100, 200 Hz||+/- 12 dB (-6 to +6)||1.0, 1.25, 1.5, 2.0|
|Midrange||0.5, 1.0, 1.5, 2.5 kHz||+/- 12 dB (-6 to +6)||0.75, 1.0, 1.25|
|Treble||10.0, 12.5, 15.0, 17.5 kHz||+/- 12 dB (-6 to +6)||Fixed|
Note: You can store EQ Pro bass, middle and treble tone settings for each source (Disc, Tuner, Aux, USB, and Android).
Audio Enhancements: The JVC KD-R490 offers the following audio adjustments to enhance your music listening experience.
- Digital Track Expander: The digital Track Expander automatically enhances compressed music files and restores the original richness of the recording.
- Bass Boost: The unit's Bass Boost enhances low bass frequencies.
- Loud (Loudness): This feature boosts low and high frequencies to produce a well-balanced sound at a low volume level.
- Volume Adjust: The input level of each source (other than FM) is adjustable relative to the FM radio volume, so there isn't a significant volume difference when changing sources. Each source is individually adjustable from -15 to +6.
Key Beep: The in-dash head unit provides an audible beep to confirm button operation. This function can be turned On or Off.
RDS AM/FM Tuner: The JVC KD-R490 features a built-in AM/FM tuner with manual, seek, and preset tuning. You can store a total of 18 FM stations presets and 6 AM station presets. The radio allows you to set your AM/FM stations manually or automatically. You can also switch the tuner's IF filter to Wide or Auto to increase/decrease the sensitivity. If an analog FM stereo broadcast is hard to receive, you can manually switch the tuner to Mono operation.
- US or European Tuning: You can set the built-in AM/FM tuner between US standard and European tuning spacing.
- RDS: The Radio Data System (RDS) feature displays radio broadcast information such as artist, title, and album when listening to compatible AM/FM stations.
- Radio Timer: The head unit's Radio Timer features lets you tune into a preset station at a specific time regardless of the head unit's current source (you can activate the Radio Timer once, daily, or turn it completely off).
Detachable Face: The JVC KD-R490 features a detachable face to deter theft. No face case is included with this unit. An optional soft face case (142DFC1X, sold separately) can be purchased for this unit. A face-fixing screw is supplied for making the face non-detachable, if desired.
VA (Vertical Alignment) LCD: Equipped with VA (Vertical Alignment) LCD panels that offer a broader angle of view and better visibility, the KD-R490's display provides English or Spanish text. Adjustable brightness and dimmer settings are available for the LCD and button illumination.
- Brightness: The unit offers a daytime and nighttime brightness settings for the LCD and button illumination. You can adjust the brightness level of each manually from 0-31.
- Dimmer: The unit's dimmer control can be set automatically or manually; select "Off" for daytime brightness setting, "On" for nighttime brightness setting, or "Auto" which switches between day and nighttime brightness setting automatically when you turn off/on the headlights (orange/white wire of harness must be connected to headlamp circuit). You can also set a specific time for the "Off" and "On" setting to be activated.
Day & Time: The unit displays a 12-or 24-hour clock, as well as the day (Sun/Mon/Tue/Wed/Thu/Fri/Sat). The day & time can be selected to remain on, even if the head unit is switched off (as long as the vehicle's key is in the accessory or start position).
Remote Control: The JVC KD-R490 comes with an IR remote control and offers compatibility with factory steering wheel controls (adapter sold separately).
- Wireless Remote Control: The KD-R490 comes supplied with a wireless remote control (RM-RK52). The remote contains Power, Attenuator, Sound, Source, Tracking, and Volume functions. The remote operates off of a single CR2025 3V Lithium-cell battery (included).
- SWC Input (requires optional adapter): The head unit features an OEM steering wheel remote control input wire (blue/yellow) within the included wiring harness that lets you keep your vehicle's factory radio steering wheel remote controls when used with an optional steering wheel audio control adapter (sold separately).
The JVC KD-R490 replaces these items
- compatible with USB flash drives loaded with MP3, WMA, WAV, and FLAC music files
- 3-band parametric equalizer with 12 EQ presets
- inputs: front auxiliary input and USB port with sliding covers (no iPod/iPhone control)
Q Crutchfield asked: Why did you buy this?
5 questions already asked