About the JVC KW-V51BT
JVC's KW-V51BT DVD receiver offers a customizable and intuitive 7" touchscreen display that's also easy on the eyes. You can take your multimedia to the next level by connecting your compatible smartphone to the rear HDMI input to take advantage of a variety of apps while on the go. It also includes a built-in DVD/CD player, a multi-function USB port, built-in Bluetooth®, SiriusXM satellite radio controls, a wireless remote control, and lots of settings you can tweak.
The smartphone connection
The KW-V51BT's HDMI input lets you enjoy access to many of the apps on your smartphone or tablet directly from the controls on the receiver. Here's the lowdown on what you need depending on your smartphone:
- iPhone® 5, 5C, 5S, 6, and 6+: You'll need to connect the Apple Lightning™ to USB cable and an HDMI cable (sold separately) to Apple's Lightning Digital AV adapter. Working with the iPhone 5's Bluetooth, you'll be able to mirror and control select apps on the KW-V51BT's touchscreen display.
- iPhone 4 and 4S: Connect your iPhone 4 or 4S to the KW-V51BT's rear USB and analog audio/video input using the JVC KS-U59 cable, and you'll have access to JVC's App Link Mode.
- Select MHL-enabled Android™ phones: Once you download the JVC Control app on your phone, you'll connect your Android to the JVC receiver with an HDMI/MHL cable, such as the JVC KS-U61. After pairing your Android phone with this JVC, you'll get app control on the touchscreen display.
With your smartphone connected, you can enjoy select navigation, driver assistance, video, and music apps — all of which can be controlled on the KW-V51BT's display or by voice command.
Robust Bluetooth technology
Bluetooth gives you hands-free calling convenience, plus a wireless connection to the songs stored on your compatible music player. If you're an Android user, you'll really appreciate this receiver's Secure Simple Pairing (SSP) technology to avoid complicated onscreen menus. JVC includes an external Bluetooth microphone which you can place in a good spot in your vehicle, so callers hear you loud and clear even in noisy vehicles.
And if you have an iPhone with Siri, the KW-V51BT supports Siri Eyes Free through Bluetooth, which means you can ask Siri to make calls, select and play music, compose and hear text messages, read notifications, even use maps and get directions — all commanded by your voice through the receiver. This convenient feature can make your drive safer and more productive.
All kinds of media options
If you enjoy Internet radio on your iPhone or Android, you'll really enjoy playing music from Pandora® and iHeartRadio® on this versatile receiver. You can scroll through your stations, bookmark songs, and give a thumbs-up or thumbs-down right from the receiver's face.
The AM/FM tuner includes the Radio Data System (RDS), so you get artist, song, and station info on the display. You can also take your radio experience to next step by adding the compatible SiriusXM tuner, so you can listen to your favorite satellite radio stations from Miami to Monterey without losing the signal.
Use the rear analog audio/video inputs to hook up your favorite portable audio player, a game console, or another video source. This receiver includes a video output to send movies to a rear video screen, so your passengers will stay happy during the longest road trips. And, the KW-V51BT's dual zone capability means the kids can watch a movie in the back with headphones while you listen to your favorite music up front. If you've got a big vehicle, you'll appreciate the input for a rear-view camera — it's a huge help when you're maneuvering in tight spaces.
Other visual and audio benefits
You can customize the KW-V51BT receiver's display layout for just the right look. JVC's touchscreen controls let you run your entertainment system with a few swipes to scroll through music folders, skip songs, and adjust the volume. JVC also included easy-to-find button controls that provide quick access to common functions, so you can concentrate on the road.
Once you've got the music you want, you can fine-tune it with the built-in 3-band parametric equalizer. Or for quick adjustments, you can pick one of the seven EQ presets. If you're adding amps, you'll dig the three sets of 4-volt preamp outputs that send super-clean audio to your speakers and subwoofers.
Want to keep your steering wheel controls?
In most cars, you'll need an adapter to retain those controls with this car stereo. Connect a few wires, then program the adapter for your particular car and radio, and you'll retain the convenience of your steering wheel controls.You'll see the adapters that work with your vehicle when you add this receiver to your cart.
Bluetooth note: Use of this receiver's Bluetooth features will depend upon your phone's Bluetooth capabilities. Learn more in our article explaining Bluetooth profiles.
- DVD/CD player with AM/FM tuner
- built-in amplifier (22 watts RMS/50 peak x 4 channels)
- 7" touchscreen display
- built-in Bluetooth for hands-free calling and music streaming
- variable color illumination with over 30,000 choices of colors
- fits double-DIN (4" tall) dash openings
- remote control
- display and command of select music, navigation, and other apps with iPhone and Android
- Pandora and iHeartRadio control with iPhone and Android
- Siri Eyes Free control for select iPhones
- Voice Command for select Android smartphones
- plays CDs, DVDs, and USB memory devices
- iEQ with 7 presets and 3-band parametric EQ
- high- and low-pass filters
- dual-zone audio
- built-in iPod, iPhone, and iPad control
- compatible with SiriusXM satellite radio tuner
- inputs: rear USB input, rear HDMI digital A/V input, rear analog A/V input, rear-view camera input
- outputs: video output, 6-channel preamp outputs (4-volt front, rear, sub)
- compatible with most factory steering wheel audio controls (adapter required)
- warranty: 2 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # KW-V51BT
What's in the box:
- DVD receiver w/ motorized 7" touchscreen monitor (10A fuse)
- Wiring harness
- 6.5' Parking brake wire (light green)
- Remote control (RM-RK258)
- CR2025 3V battery (installed in remote)
- Microphone w/ integrated bracketed (attached 10' cable terminated by a 3.5mm connector)
- 6 Pan head ISO-mount machine screws (M5 x 8mm)
- 6 Flat head ISO-mount machine screws (M5 x 6mm)
- HDMI bracket
- Instruction Manual (En/Fr/Sp)
- Warranty Information
More details on the JVC KW-V51BT
Features & specs
|AUX Input||Mini (rear)|
|Audio/video Input||HDMI (rear), Mini (rear)|
|Backup Camera Input||Yes|
|Second Camera Input||No|
|Alexa Voice Control|
|Memory Card Slot||USB memory|
|Satellite Radio Ready||SiriusXM|
|RMS Power (CTA-2006)||N/A|
|RMS Power (Manufacturer)||22 watts|
|Peak Output||50 watts|
|RMS Power Bandwidth||20-20kHz|
|Sub Preamp Outputs||Yes|
|Switchable Rear Preamp Outputs||No|
|Navigation App Compatible (iOS)|
|Navigation App Compatible (Android)|
|Preamp Voltage||4 volts|
|Key Button Color||Variable|
|Steering Wheel Control Compatible||Adapter required|
|Parts Warranty||2 Years|
|Labor Warranty||2 Years|
|FM Sensitivity||9.3 dBf|
|Radio Data System||Yes|
|Music File Playback||MP3,WMA,AAC,FLAC,WAV|
7" Motorized LCD Touchscreen Monitor: The KW-V51BT features a motorized 7" TFT Active Matrix, 16:9 touchscreen monitor. The screen has a resolution of 800 (H) x 480 (V) x RGB with 1,152,000 total pixels. The LCD serves as a video monitor, system information display, and touchscreen control panel. The bottom of the touchscreen monitor can be tilted upward at seven different positions to provide the best visibility in your vehicle. The monitor electronically slides down for loading or ejecting a disc.
- Monitor Touch Control: Monitor Touch Control lets you operate certain functions of the KW-V51BT by making specific gesture commands on the unit's touchscreen. You can adjust the volume of the multimedia receiver by making a circular motion with your finger on the unit's touchscreen. You'll also be able to skip music tracks by simply swiping the touchscreen from left to right.
- Hard-Key Controls: In addition to the head unit's touchscreen monitor, the KW-V51BT features frequently used hard-key controls along the bottom edge of the screen. Hard-key controls include Power, Source, Eject, Volume, and EQ.
Note: To prevent the display of video while the vehicle is in motion, the light green wire (attached to rear-chassis) must be connected to the vehicle's parking brake detection circuit. You cannot view video unless your vehicle's parking brake is engaged. If you attempt to view video without the parking brake engaged, the unit's LCD touchscreen will simply display "Parking Off". While your vehicle is in motion (parking brake off), you can still view all of the head unit's menu screens/settings, source information, metadata, and album artwork.
Display Adjustments: The JVC KW-V51BT offers the following display adjustments to customize your visual experience in the car.
- Customized Home Screen: You can select and arrange which sources and icons (up to 5) display on the unit's Home screen for easier, quicker access. Select the "ALL" icon to see all sources at one time.
- Background: The unit's background color can be changed to one of three preset images or you can capture a custom image. While playing a video or JPEG file, you can capture an image and use the captured image as your background. When using a JPEG file as the background, make sure that the resolution is 800 x 480 pixels. The color of the captured image may look different from that of the actual scene. You cannot capture copyrighted content and images from the iPod/iPhone.
- Picture & Aspect Ratio: You can adjust the brightness and black level of the unit's onscreen display. You can also adjust the contrast, color, tint, and detail level during video playback. The adjustment level for each setting is -15 to +15. You can also choose from four aspect modes (Regular, Full, Panorama, or Auto) for the in-dash display.10
- Adjustable Dimmer: When the illumination lead (orange/white) is connected and the dimmer set to Auto, the display and button illumination will dim automatically when you turn on your vehicle's lights. The dimmer can also be set to Off (normal brightness at all times), On (display is always dimmed), or Dimmer Time Set (you program the time for the dimmer to turn off an on).
Clock Display: The DVD receiver offers a 12-hour clock which can be visible from any source or menu screen. With your vehicle's key in the accessory or start position, the head unit will continue to display the LCD background image, clock, and button illumination during "AV Off" mode. Pressing and holding the source button turns the unit off completely.
Remote Control: The JVC KW-V51BT offers compatibility with factory steering wheel controls (adapter sold separately) and comes with an IR remote control for added wireless convenience.
- Steering Wheel Remote Compatibility: The head unit features an OEM steering wheel remote control input wire (blue/yellow) within the included wiring harness that lets you keep your vehicle's factory radio steering wheel remote controls when used with an optional steering wheel audio control adapter (sold separately). Please consult Crutchfield's Outfit My Car to see if your vehicle is compatible.
- IR Remote: The JVC KW-V51BT includes an IR remote control for wireless operation of the DVD receiver and connected devices (such as Bluetooth, iPod/iPhone, and USB).
2-DIN Chassis: The JVC KW-V51BT has a 2-DIN chassis (also known as "Double-DIN"), and will fit in many vehicles with a large dash opening. The unit can be ISO-mounted using factory brackets. There is no mounting sleeve included for a Euro- or Custom-mount installation. As always, please consult Crutchfield's Outfit My Car to verify fit with your vehicle.
Bluetooth Technology: The JVC KW-V51BT is equipped with built-in Bluetooth (3.0+EDR) allowing you to make and receive phone calls wirelessly through the receiver; as well as stream music wirelessly from your smartphone to the head unit. In order to use Bluetooth wireless technology, your phone must also be Bluetooth compatible and be able to interpret certain profiles. This unit is compatible with the following Bluetooth Profiles:
- Hands-Free Communication: HFP 1.6 (Hands Free Profile), OPP 1.1 (Object Push Profile), PBAB 1.0 (Phone Book Access Profile).
- Audio Streaming: A2DP 1.2 (Advanced Audio Distribution Profile), AVRCP 1.3 (Audio/Video Remote Control Profile).
Note: Due to the differences in Bluetooth technology, some Bluetooth enabled devices may be incompatible, function improperly, or may not support all features when used with the JVC KW-V51BT. Check here for Bluetooth compatibility.
SPP (Secure Simple Pairing): With Secure Simple Pairing (SSP), you can easily pair a Bluetooth enabled phone to the JVC KW-V51BT without having to enter pin codes or go through complicated settings. The head unit will even establish pairing automatically with the Apple iPhone (iOS 5.0+), when connected via USB. Once a device is paired, the registered Bluetooth device will automatically connect to the receiver when it is in close proximity (up to 30') to the receiver. You can pair up to five Bluetooth-enabled devices to the JVC head unit with a maximum of two Bluetooth phones and one Bluetooth audio player connected at one time (but only one can be used at a time).
Hands-Free Communication (w/ External Mic): The head unit supports Bluetooth hands-free communication for your Bluetooth enabled mobile phone. Thanks to the latest Hands-Free Profile (HFP 1.6) with wideband speech capability, the JVC KW-V51BT provides more natural sound quality and details during wireless calls. The touchscreen controls of the KW-V51BT can be used to dial a number, answer an in-coming call, or end a call. The unit also includes an external microphone (featuring adjustable gain), so you can carry on your side of the conversation while listening to the caller through your vehicles speakers (All or Front). During a conversation, you can switch between the Private Mode (talking directly on your cell phone) and the Hands Free Mode.
- Answering a Call: When a call comes in, a ring-tone will be heard through your vehicle's speaker and the caller's name or phone number will be displayed. You can answer the call from the head unit's touchscreen, or setup the head unit to automatically answer the incoming call immediately in 5 seconds. The KW-V51BT also supports the Call Waiting function, so you can answer another incoming call while suspending the current call you are on. Your compatible cell-phone must also support this feature.
- Dialing a Number: Using the KW-V51BT, you can dial a
phone number in one of the following ways:
- Entering a Phone Number: Allows you to directly dial a phone number up to 32 digits from the head unit's touchscreen.
- Preset Dialing: Allows you to register up to 6 phone numbers for quick dialing. The preset numbers can be accessed from the head unit's touchscreen.
- Phone Book: You can dial by using the downloaded phone book. You can download phone book data from your cell phone to the KW-V51BT. Up to 5,000 numbers can be stored for each registered cell phone. Each number can be up to 32 digits long and each name can be up to 50 characters long. You can search the phone book alphabetically (A-Z).
- Call History: The Call History is a list of calls that have originated from and were received by this unit that you can dial. You can select Outgoing, Incoming, or Missed calls (up to 50 each).
- Voice Dialing: If your mobile phone supports voice recognition, then you can dial out by voice command. Simply speak into the included microphone.
Note: This unit allows you to answer a call or dial out using any option without engaging the parking brake.
External Microphone: The JVC KW-V51BT includes an external microphone to carry on your side of your phone conversation and voice command dialing. The external wired microphone offers improved audio quality versus an integrated microphone, so you can be heard easier over noisy traffic and road noise. You can adjust the volume level and noise cancellation of the microphone without affecting the other sources. The external microphone features an attached 10' cable terminated by a right-angle 3.5mm connector which plugs into the mic input on the rear-panel of the head unit. The microphone offers an integrated mounting bracket which can be clipped to your vehicle's sun-visor or taped to your dash. The external microphone measures 0.525" (diameter) x 1.505" (depth).
Wireless Audio Streaming (w/ Album Art): The JVC KW-V51BT also supports wireless audio playback (AD2P) and control (AVRCP) of a Bluetooth enabled audio player or smartphone. The KW-V51BT will be able to control basic playback functions of your Bluetooth device's stored music; such as Play/Pause, Skip Next/Previous, Fast Forward/Rewind and Random/Repeat. The head unit will also display your stored music's song information; such as artist name, song title, and album art. The KW-V51BT also supports audio streaming of music apps downloaded on your smartphone with song/artist info, album art, and limited control. Advanced music control of your music apps will still need be done via your Bluetooth-enabled smartphone. When an incoming call or outgoing call is in progress from your Bluetooth enabled mobile phone, audio streaming will be paused so you can take your call. Once the call is finished, your streaming music will resume.
Siri Eyes Free Control: When paired and connected with an iPhone with Siri via Bluetooth (not USB), the JVC KW-V51BT has the ability to access Siri through its touchscreen and external microphone. Simply press the touchscreen "voice command" icon on the Bluetooth Phone screen to engage Siri and use the included microphone to communicate with Siri. Siri's voice will heard through your vehicle's speakers. All Siri functions including hands-free calling, music search, setting reminders, text-messaging, audible navigation, and more can be done through the KW-V51BT and its microphone. You can even ask Siri to get directions to a destination and the turn-by-turn instructions will heard through your vehicle's speakers, while the on-screen map still displays on your iPhone with Siri. The head unit's audio is attenuated while Siri provides audible directions.
Note: The head unit's LCD touchscreen will only display hands-free calling and Bluetooth audio information (all other functions of Siri are only audible through the JVC KW-V51BT; visual data will still need to be viewed from your iPhone device).
iPod/iPhone AV Playback: The JVC KW-V51BT supports direct connection of your Lightning or 30-pin iPod/iPhone through its rear-panel USB port, HDMI input, and 3.5mm jack. The KW-V51BT supports playback of stored music and videos, as well as music and video apps on select Apple iPod/iPhone models. Video can only be displayed while the vehicle is in park.
- Lightning Connector: If you have a newer iPod/iPhone with the Lightning-connector, you can use JVC's KS-U62 Lightning/USB interface cable (105KSU62, sold separately) or the Lightning-to-USB cable that came with your Apple device to connect your iPod/iPhone to the JVC KW-V51BT for audio playback only. You'll be able to listen to stored music and music apps on your Lightning-connector Apple device through the JVC DVD receiver. To watch stored video and video apps (like Netflix) in addition to music from your Lightning-connector Apple device on the KW-V51BT, you'll need Apple's Lightning-to-Digital AV adapter, a Lightning-to-USB cable, and a mobile-grade HDMI cable; such as the JVC's KSU-60 HDMI cable (all sold separately) - this type of connection also requires Bluetooth pairing.
- 30-Pin Dock Connector: If you own an older iPod/iPhone with the 30-pin dock connector, you can enjoy audio and video files on your Apple device through the JVC KW-V51BT. Using JVC's KS-U59 iPod video cable (105KSU59, sold separately), you can enjoy audio playback of your stored music and music apps on your iPod/iPhone; plus video playback of your stored movies and video apps on your iPod/iPhone through the JVC KW-V51BT. If you only desire audio playback, you can use the dock connector-to-USB cable that comes with your Apple device to connect your iPod/iPhone to the KW-V51BT.
Note: You will need to select which type of connection method you are using in the head unit's setup menu.
iPod Control w/ Metadata + Charging: The JVC KW-V51BT offers head unit control, song/artist information display, and battery charging for your connected Apple device.
- iPod/iPhone Control: You can control your connected iPod/iPhone from the head unit's touchscreen. From the head unit's touchscreen you can search for music by Playlist, Artist, Album, Song, Podcast, Genre, Composer, and Audiobook. You can search video by Playlist, Movies, Music Videos, TV Shows, and Video Podcasts. Once a Playlist or Category is selected, the content is listed in alphabetical order. The KW-V51BT also supports Play/Puase, Fast Forward/Rewind, Previous/Next Track, and Repeat/Random playback functions of your iPod/iPhone. Newer iPod/iPhones with iOS 6.0+ allow you to continue to access your Apple device's touchscreen so you can navigate your stored music and music apps from the mobile device; older iPod/iPhone devices will be locked during connection.
- Song/Artist Info + Album Art: The KW-V51BT will display your iPod/iPhone's music file information of your stored music. The head unit will indicate Track number, Elapsed playing time, Artist name, Song/Album title, and Album Art. The unit will also display metadata information from Pandora and App Link Mode apps. Other applications will simply display the message "Do you want to exit app and switch to iPod Source"; tapping the "Yes" button will take you back to your iPod/iPhone's stored music, while pressing the "No" button turns unit off.
- iPod/iPhone Charging: While connected and the ignition switch is set to ACC or ON, the head unit's USB (5V/1A) connection will power and charge your iPod/iPhone (not the iPad). If your iPod/iPhone has no initial battery charge, then the unit will not recognize it.
Apps Mode for iPhone & Android (via HDMI): Apps mode allows the JVC head unit to mirror the display of your HDMI-connected & Bluetooth-paired iPhone (iOS 7+) or Android (OS 4.1+) device. You'll be able to listen to audio from stored music and music apps, watch video from stored movies and movie apps, and view navigation apps on your iPhone or Android smartphone through the JVC receiver. Mirroring of your mobile device does not require that your vehicle's parking brake be engaged, but control over your device may require that the parking brake is set (this will depend on your type of device and selected app). Mirroring of your device will not always appear in full-screen on the JVC unit's touchscreen display.
- Connectivity: Connection method is based on your type
of smartphone (iPhone or Android).
- iPhone w/ Lightning Connector: If you have an iPhone with the Lightning connector, you will need Apple's Lightning-to-Digital AV adapter, a Lightning-to-USB cable, and a mobile-grade HDMI cable; such as the JVC's KSU-60 HDMI cable (all sold separately) - this type of connection also requires Bluetooth pairing. The HDMI connector provides the audio/video playback, while the USB connection charges your iPhone device. The Bluetooth connection allows you to control basic playback functions from the head unit.
- Android Smartphone: The head unit's HDMI port is MHL compatible; this means you can simply connect your MHL-compatible Android smartphone to the receiver via an MHL-to-HDMI cable; such as JVC KS-U61 MHL/HDMI cable (105KSU61, sold separately). This type of connection also requires Bluetooth pairing and installation of the JVC Smartphone Control App from Google Play. The HDMI connector provides audio/video playback and charging of your Android smartphone's battery, while the Bluetooth connection is also needed for touchscreen control. Compatible Android smartphones include Samsung Galaxy *S3/S4/S5 (not compatible with S6 and newer), *Samsung Galaxy Note II/III/IV, Sony Xperia Z/Z1/ZR/ZL, LG Optimusand HTC One Max (all with OS 4.1+). *The Samsung Galaxy S3/4/5 and Note II/III/IV require an additional 3rd party MHL microUSB 5-pin to 11-pin adapter (sold separately). Click here for full list of compatible MHL mobile devices.
- Operation & Controls: The extent of operation and control will
depend on what type of smartphone you are using and if you have your
vehicle's parking brake on or off.
- iPhone Control: Your iPhone lets you access its stored music and video library from the head unit's touchscreen with advance search and playback control. Basic playback control (Play/Pause, Fast Forward/Rewind, and Previous/Next Track) of music and video apps on your iPhone can be done from the receiver's touchscreen. Specific Apps (like MotionX-GPS Drive, Waze, DashCommand, Local Scope, and Web Reader) provide full touchscreen control from the head unit. These operations can all be done with or without your vehicle's parking brake engaged. You will need to access the app from the iPhone first and then control it from the JVC receiver. The receiver's on-screen keyboard is not functional during app operation.
- Android Control: You can control your Android smartphone from the head unit's touchscreen just like you would from the smartphone, as long as your vehicle's parking brake is engaged. Specific apps, like Waze Navigation, TuneIn Radio, and JVC Smart Music Control can be controlled without the parking brake engaged. These specific apps will show up on the head unit's touchscreen as large icons for easy selection.
Note: Access to your iPhone and Android smartphone 's downloaded applications will depend on the availability of a cellular and/or WiFi network for purposes of allowing your iPhone or Android smartphone to connect to the Internet. Not all Android and Apple iOS apps are guaranteed to be compatible.
Smart Music Control App (for Android): JVC's Smart Music Control App lets you view the current status and perform simple gesture or voice control of the JVC head unit from your HDMI-connected and Bluetooth-paired Android smartphone (2.3+) running JVC's Smartphone Control App.
- Voice & Gesture Control: The Smart Music Control app is specifically designed for easy gesture control or voice command operation while driving, so driver and passenger can operate the JVC DVD receiver with ease from your compatible Android Smartphone.
- Music & Apps: From the JVC Smart Music Control App you can access your music library stored on your Android smartphone. Music apps like Pandora, iHeart Radio, etc.. which you have already downloaded on your phone can also be added to the Smart Music Control App, so you have access to your online music from one easy-to-use application. Song/artist information, album art, station identification, and station logo are displayed.
- Navigation: You can launch Google Maps or Waze Navigation from the Smart Music Control App on your and Android smartphone and enter a destination. Navigation voice prompts will interrupt your music and play through your car speakers when using the Smart Music Control App; visual map data will be displayed on the DVD receiver's LCD touchscreen.
- Phone: You can store your favorite contacts (up to 32) within the Smart Music Control app. Once your contacts are stored within the app, you can either tap on a contact name/number to dial it or speak a command to dial the saved contact name/number.
- EQ & Mood Settings: The JVC Smart Music Control app analyzes all of your songs that are stored in your Android smartphone's music library and creates a playlist according to your mood. Once the application has completed the analysis of the songs, simply move the "mood ball" within the app to your current mood, and this application will generate a list of songs that most fits your mood. You can also make sound adjustments with the app's built-in 5 preset equalizer. You can even create and save 3 of your own EQ settings.
Note: The JVC Smart Music Control App does not require that your vehicle's parking brake is engaged.
App Link Mode (for iPhone 4/4S): App Link Mode offers audio playback and video display of useful driving, utility, and music apps from your iPhone 4/4S (iOS 5.0 - 7.1.2) on the JVC KW-V51BT, using the JVC KS-U59 cable (sold separately). Simply download the JVC Mobile Plugged-In App from iTunes onto your iPhone 4/4S and the app will function as a central launcher of controllable partner applications. You can even continue to listen to another source while the unit displays a driving or utility app. App Link mode is not compatible with newer iPhones with Lightning-connector. Available apps included (as of 3/19/2015).
- Navigation Apps: The following navigation apps can be utilized
within App Link Mode. Purchase and subscriptions fees may apply.
- MotionX-GPS Drive: The MotionX-GPS Drive app's navigation maps are displayed on the head unit's LCD touchscreen, while turn-by-turn commands are voice through your vehicle's speakers. Scroll, zoom, traffic display, and voice mute can be controlled on-screen as well.
- Waze: Waze is a fun, community-based traffic & navigation app, 30 million strong. Users can join forces with other drivers to outsmart traffic, save time & gas, and improve everyone's commute. By simply driving around with Waze open, real-time traffic & road info is contributed to the local driving community. Accidents, hazards, police and other events can be actively reported, and road alerts are available. The cheapest gas station along the route can also be found with community-shared gas prices.
- INRIX: INRIX offer real-time traffic info, so can view traffic incidents on your route, compare current traffic conditions to what is normal, and know what time to leave based on predicted traffic conditions. It also provides news updates and weather info in real-time.
- Sygic: Sygic is a Turn-by-Turn voice guided navigation app using high quality TomTom maps stored on the phone - internet is not needed as it works with GPS only. Instructions are given with spoken street names, as well as three alternative routes to choose from. Junction view, 3D cities, speed limit display, and speed camera warnings are shown visually to aid the driving process.
- Driver Assistance Apps: In addition to navigation apps, App Link
mode offers Driver Assistant apps to help with parking, communication, and
vehicle diagnostic. Purchase and subscriptions fees may apply.
- Dash Command: The DashCommand apps Works with an OBDII port connection to explain why the check engine light keeps going on, displays horsepower, torque, or acceleration, monitors gas mileage and allows creation of customizable gauges. Requires OBD-II interface (sold separately from Palmer Performance Engineering).
- Local Scope: Local Scope lets you discover and find places, people and information using geo-tagged data from multiple local search engines, social networks, media sharing services and other apps.
- Cobra iRadar: Cobra iRadar is a community-based radar/laser/camera detection system. Share and receive alerts in real time from other iRadar users. Live radar/laser detection, user reports, automatic alert reporting, and AURA speed and red light camera database,
- DriveMate: App Link mode supports DriveMate Rec Mini (automatically records video in incidents such as traffic accidents), DriveMate Rec (records video while you drive and tracks the route driven), DriveMate OnboardCam (record movies and tracks during the driving), DriveMate Time Trial (record tracks for driving), and DriveMate SafetyCam (provides driving safety evaluation)
- Music Apps: App Link mode gives
you access to various online music services. Purchase and
subscriptions fees may apply.
- TuneIn Radio: TuneIn Radio gives you over 70,000 live radio stations and two million on-demand programs, like podcasts, concerts and interviews. Station identification, song/artist information and album artwork are displayed on screen. Control is still done from your iPhone.
- SonicMax Pro: Sonic MaxPro for JVC is an HD quality music player with BBE's criticaly acclaimed HD audio technology-Sonic Maximizer. It also provides built-in preset audio settings.
- Utility: App Link mode offers
additional helpful apps along your commute. Purchase and
subscriptions fees may apply.
- Everio Sync 2: By connecting a JVC Everio camcorder and your iPhone with Wi-Fi, the Everio Sync. 2 application allows the video of the JVC Everio camcorder to be seen from the DVD receiver. Pan control, Zoom control, Rec/Pause control and snapshots can be operated from the receiver.
- Web Reader: Web Reader uses text-to-speech technology along with web page content recognition to read web pages out loud. Web Reader reads web pages and social media sites aloud through car speaker while driving with on-screen play & pause.
Note: Apps not available in all areas. Available apps subject to change without notice.
iPod/iPhone Compatibility Chart: The JVC KW-V51BT is "Made for iPod/iPhone" compatible and supports the following iPod/iPhone model features (as of 8/30/2016):
|Apple Device||Generation||Tested Version||Media Type||Control Type||Specific Apps||Display Type||Bluetooth||Charge|
|Audio||Video||Head Unit||iPod/iPhone||Apps Mode||Apps Link||Pandora||iHeart||Album Art||Song/Artist Text||Track Info||Phone||Audio||Siri|
Note: Apple iPod/iPhone software updates may change functionality results. If you download a newer software version, you may need to reset the head unit and your iPod/iPhone to regain functionality. If this doesn't work, you may need to wait until a newer software update is available.
RDS AM/FM Tuner: The JVC KW-V51BT features a built-in AM/FM tuner with manual, seek, and preset tuning. The Radio Data System (RDS) feature displays radio broadcast information such as artist, title, and album when listening to compatible AM/FM stations. You can store a total of 18 FM stations presets and 6 AM station presets. The radio allows you to set your AM/FM stations manually or automatically. You can switch the tuner's IF filter to Wide or Auto to increase/decrease the sensitivity. Local tuning lets you only tune in stations with sufficient signal strength. You can activate the monaural mode to improve FM reception, when a station is week (the stereo effect will be lost).
Note: You can set the built-in AM/FM tuner between US standard and European tuning spacing.
Internet Radio Apps (for iPhone & Android): The JVC KW-V51BT allows you to access Pandora and iHeartRadio online music services through your USB-connected, Bluetooth-paired, or HDMI+Bluetooth-connected iPhone (5.0+); as well as your Bluetooth-paired or HDMI+Blueooth-connected Android smartphone. Your Apple iPhone can be connected to the KW-V51BT via the the cable supplied with your iPhone, Bluetooth, or HDMI+Bluetooth. Your Android smartphone must support be paired via Bluetooth or connected via HDMI+Bluetooth to the JVC KW-V51BT. Your compatible mobile device will need an active Data Plan account with connection to the Internet via 3G, EDGE, or WiFi.
- Pandora App: The free Pandora App (either from Apps Store or Google Play) lets you play music from the Pandora music service through the JVC KW-V51BT using your USB-connected, Bluetooth-paired, or HDMI+Bluetooth-connected Apple iPhone (iOS 5.0+); as well as your Bluetooth-paired or HDMI+Bluetooth-connected Android smartphone. The JVC KW-V51BT provides control over the Pandora music service and displays Artist, Album, and Song information. You can select Pandora stations from your station or genre list and sort them by date or alphabetically (A-Z). New stations can be created based on the current songs or artists playing. You can also skip song tracks within a station. You can even give songs a thumbs up or thumbs down. An active Pandora account is required.
- iHeartRadio Auto: The free iHeartRadio Auto app for JVC (either from Apps Store or Google Play) lets you play music from the iHeartRadio music service through the JVC KW-V51BT using your USB-connected, Bluetooth-paired, or HDMI+Bluetooth-connected Apple iPhone (iOS 5.0+); as well as your Bluetooth-paired or HDMI+Bluetooth-connected Android smartphone (2.2+). The iHeartRadio music service provides access to more than 1,500 live radio stations from coast-to-coast (including pop, country, urban, rock, talk, and sports). The KW-V51BT will provide control over the iHeartRadio Auto app, as well as display station identification and song/artist information. From the head unit's front-panel controls, iHeartRadio stations can be searched by the following categories (Local, Genre, City, or My Stations). The Local selection provides a list of radio stations in your local listening area. The unit also provides over 22 Genres to choose from (including pop, country, hip-hop, jazz, etc.) to help you find the right radio station for you. In addition, you can search for radio stations by City. Cities can be searched alphabetically (A-Z). You can even store your favorite stations (My Stations) for easier, quicker access. An active iHeartRadio account is required.
Note: Access to these Internet Radio services will depend on the availability of a cellular and/or WiFi network for purposes of allowing your iPhone or Android smartphone to connect to the Internet. Not supported in Canada and only available in the United States.
SiriusXM Ready: The JVC DVD receiver is SiriusXM Ready, so you can listen to commercial-free music, all your favorite sports, exclusive talk and entertainment, comedy, news, traffic, weather, and more. Simply connect the SiriusXM Connect Vehicle Tuner ( 220SXV300, both sold separately) to the dedicated SiriusXM port on the rear of the head unit and enjoy satellite radio without additional translators or cables. With the SiriusXM Connect tuner you'll have access to more than 175 channels of exclusive programming directly from SiriusXM; check out the most popular SiriusXM subscription packages here. Additional features include:
- Channel List w/ Category Search: A channel list displays a list of all available channels. The Category Search function searches for channels in a certain category.
- Song/Artist Info: Displayed Information such as Channel Name, Channel Logo, Artist Name, & Song Title can be viewed on the head unit's LCD
- Presets + Smart Favorites: Up to 24 SiriusXM Satellite Radio station presets can be saved. Up to 6 of your SiriusXM presets can be identified as Smart Favorites for advanced features such as TuneStart & TuneScan.
- Instant Replay: You can pause, rewind, and replay up to 60 minutes of current channel. You'll also be able to rewind and replay the last 30 minutes of content from your six Smart Favorite channels.
- TuneStart & TuneScan: TuneStart allows you to choose whether to start a song from the beginning or from its live point when tuning to a Smart Favorite channel. TuneScan plays the first 10 seconds of each song that has not been listened to from each of the channels which you have saved as Smart Favorites.
- Parental Control: Channels containing unsuitable content for children can be blocked.
Note: A separate SiriusXM Satellite Radio subscription is required (operates on the XM Network). However, you can easily add this SiriusXM tuner to an existing Sirius or XM account for a Multi-Radio Discount Plan.
Disc Compatibility: The JVC KW-V51BT supports playback of DVD-Video, DVD-R/RW, DVD+R/RW, CD-Audio, CD-R/RW, and VCD discs. The unit supports MPEG-1/MPEG-2 video files recorded on to CD-R/RW, DVD-R/RW, or DVD+R/RW discs. It also supports playback of MP3/WMA/AAC music files loaded onto a CD-R/RW, DVD-R/RW, or DVD+R/RW disc.
USB Port: The JVC KW-V51BT features a front-panel USB type-A port for connection and control of a portable USB mass-storage class (MSC) device; such as select Android smartphones (Froyo/Gingerbread OS only), portable digital audio players, or USB thumbdrives. The USB port enables playback of MP3, WMA, WAV & FLAC audio files; as well as JPEG still-picture files stored on a compatible USB memory device. The KW-V51BT also supports video playback of MPEG1/MPEG2 video files from a connected portable USB MSC device. USB portable audio devices that can be charged via USB will be charged when plugged into the DVD receiver's USB port (5V/1A), and the vehicle's ignition switch is set to ACC or On.
Note: The unit's USB port is not compatible with newer Android smartphones with operating systems released after Froyo & Gingerbread.
File Compatibility: The JVC KW-V51BT supports the following types of audio, video, and photo files recorded onto a disc or loaded onto a USB mass storage class device.
|Media Type||Disc (CD-R/RW or DVD-R/RW, DVD+R/RW)||Flash (USB MSC)|
|File System||ISO9660 Level 1/Level 2, Joliet, Romeo, Long File Name||FAT 16/32|
|Playable File Types||Audio||MP3: bit rate of
8-320kbps w/ sampling frequencies of 8-48kHz |
WMA: bit rate of 5-320kbps w/ sampling frequencies of 8-48kHz
AAC: bit rate of 16-320kbps w/ sampling frequencies of 32-48kHz
|MP3: bit rate of
8-320kbps w/ sampling frequencies of 8-48kHz |
WMA: bit rate of 5-320kbps w/ sampling frequencies of 8-48kHz
AAC: bit rate of 16-320kbps w/ sampling frequencies of 32-48kHz
WAV: bit rate of 16-bit w/ sampling frequencies of 44.1kHz
FLAC: bit rate of 16-bit w/ sampling frequencies of 8-48 kHz
to 720x480 or 352x280 to720x576 (4.0Mbps) |
MPEG-2: 352x240 to 720x480 or 352x280 to 720x576 (4.0Mbps)
352x240 to 720x480 or 352x280 to720x576 (4.0Mbps) |
H.264: 352 x 240, 352 x 288, 720 x 480, 720 x 576 (8.0Mbps)
WMV/MKV: 640 x 480 (2. Mbps)
|Photo||N/A||JPEG: 32x32 to 8192x7680 pixels|
|Maximum # of Folders/Files||250 folders/5,000 files (999 files per folder)|
|Tags||MP3 ID3-tags (ver. 1.0/1.1/2.2/2.3/2.4), WMA-tags, AAC-tags, and WAV-tags|
Playback Screen: During DVD playback, you can control certain operations simply by touching an area of the screen. The touchscreen has 4 functions areas. You can touch the left of the screen to start the current chapter over, or the right of the screen to skip to the next chapter. Pressing the top center of the screen activates the picture adjustments, while pressing the bottom center activates the playback controls.
Search Functions (for USB): The JVC KW-V51BT offers unique search functions for USB MSC device playback.
- Category Search: You can navigate music stored on your USB memory device by Playlist, Artist, Song, or Album. Once a category is selected, you can search the contents alphabetically.
- Link Search: Link Search allows you to play songs related to the currently playing song. The head unit can create an album list of the currently playing artist, a song list of the currently playing album, a artist list of the currently playing genre, or a album list of currently playing composer.
Resume: If you change the source, playback also stops (without ejecting the disc or USB device). Next time you select CD or USB for the playback source, the disc will start from where it has been stopped previously.
Off Eject + Disc Reload: A disc can be ejected even the unit is turned off, as long as your vehicle's key is in the start or accessory position. If the ejected disc is not removed within 20 seconds, the disc is automatically inserted again into the loading slot to protect it from dust; playback starts automatically.
24 Bit D/A Converter: The JVC KW-V51BT utilizes a 24-bit digital to analog converter for superior sound quality with Signal to Noise ratio up to 94dB.
MOSFET Amplifier: The KW-V51BT is equipped with a MOSFET amplifier. Compared to conventional power supplies, the MOSFET amplification circuit is smaller and more efficient, and it delivers increased power with less distortion and absolutely zero on/off switching noise. More power means louder and cleaner music at higher volumes because you're not pushing the limits of the amplification circuit. The power output specs for the KW-V51BT are as follows:
- Full Bandwidth Power: 22 watts RMS x 4 channels (at 4 ohms, 20Hz-20kHz, 1% THD-N)
- Maximum Power Output: 50 watts x 4 channels (200 total watts)
6ch/4V Preamp Outputs + Sub Control: The KW-V51BT is equipped with 6ch/4.0V preamp outputs (Front, Rear, Subwoofer). The front and rear preamp outputs allow fader control, while the subwoofer preamp output is non-fading. You can adjust the KW-V51BT's subwoofer output level (-50 to +10) independently from the head unit's main volume control for added bass volume. You can also adjust the phase of the subwoofer output between 180-degrees (Reverse) or 0-degrees (Normal).
Built-in Crossovers: The JVC KW-V51BT features a built-in high-pass filter for the unit's front & rear speakers, and a low-pass filter for the unit's subwoofer output.
- High-Pass Filter: You can activate a variable high-pass filter (40, 60, 80, 100, 120, 150, 180, 220 Hz or Through) for the unit's front & rear channels (speaker- or preamp-level), so low frequency signals are cut off from your system's front & rear speakers. The front & rear channel's high-pass filters can be set independently of one another.
- Low-Pass Filter: The unit's subwoofer preamp output features a low-pass filter. In order to prevent high-frequencies from being sent to your system's subwoofers, you can set the cutoff frequency of the low-pass filter to 50, 60, 80, 100, 120 Hz or Through.
Speaker Select: You can select which type & size of speaker you have connected to the head unit. Choose from Standard (OEM/Factory), Narrow (4"/5"), Middle (6"/5x7"/6x8"), Wide (6x9").
Pro EQ: The KW-V51BT is equipped with JVC's Pro EQ. The integrated equalizer offers 8 preset sound modes (Flat, Natural, Dynamic, Vocal Boost, Bass Boost, Vibrant, and User) suitable for the music genre of your choice. The User mode allows you to manually adjust the head unit's 3-band parametric EQ (Frequency, Level, and Q-Factor).
|Bass||60, 80, 100, 150 Hz||+/- 10 dB (-5 to +5)||1.0, 1.25, 1.5, 2.0|
|Midrange||0.5, 1.0, 1.5, 2.0 kHz||+/- 10 dB (-5 to +5)||1.0, 2.0|
|Treble||10.0, 12.5, 15.0, 17.5 kHz||+/- 10 dB (-5 to +5)||Fixed|
Sound Extras: The head unit provides further sound enhancements for your car audio system.
- Loud (Loudness): This feature boosts low and high frequencies to produce a well-balanced sound at a low volume level. You can set the Loudness to On or Off.
- Dynamic Range Compression: This function reduces a Dolby Digital soundtrack's dynamic range so you can hear quieter dialog without being overwhelmed by loud sections. You can choose a setting of On (reduced dynamic range), Dialogue (clearer movie dialogue), or Off (full dynamic range).
- Volume Adjust: The input level of each source (other than FM) is adjustable relative to the FM radio volume, so there isn't a significant volume difference when changing sources. Each source is individually adjustable from -15 to +6.
Key-Touch Tone: The in-dash head unit provides an audible beep to confirm button operation. This function can be turned On or Off.
A/V Input: The head unit features a rear-panel 3.5mm AV input for connecting a permanent external A/V source, such as a Blu-ray player, gaming console, or mobile ATSC tuner.
HDMI/MHL Input: In addition to Apps mode for iPhone and Android, the head unit's HDMI/MHL input can be used to connect almost any external mobile AV source with an HDMI output; such as a TV tuner, Blu-ray player, or game system. The HDMI input will provide video and audio playback. Your vehicle's parking brake will need to be engaged to view video on the receiver's screen. Playback functions will need to be controlled from your HDMI-connected device.
Camera In: The rear-panel Camera input consists of a composite video connector which allows you to connect an optional rear-view camera (sold separately). The unit features a reverse gear signal wire, that when connected to your vehicle's reverse light circuit, will automatically switch the KW-V51BT's display to the rear-view camera input. Automatic video switching takes approximately 1.0 seconds. Audio from your music source will continue playing, while the back-up camera is displayed.
A/V Output (with Dual Zone): The unit features a rear-panel composite video jack and 3.5mm audio jack to output A/V signals to an optional monitor and headphone system in the rear of your vehicle. You can select Disc, USB, iPod or AV-IN as the rear-panel source; or your can simply have the rear AV output mirror the head unit's selected front source. The volume of the A/V output will be controlled by your rear entertainment system. You can select between a 16:9, 4:3 LB, or 4:3 PS Aspect Ratio for the unit's video output to match your connected monitor.
Note: With Disc, USB, or iPod selected as your front source; you can only select AV-IN, AV Off, or the source playing in the front as your vehicle's rear source. You also cannot select Disc, USB, or iPod as the rear source if your front source is Apps or Pandora/iHeart.
The JVC KW-V51BT replaces these items
10 questions already asked