About the Polk Assist
Great sound, voice control and more
Great sound, voice control and more
The compact Polk Assist is one versatile wireless speaker. It delivers clear, detailed sound — but it's not just for music. The speaker has Google Assistant built-in, so you can just tell it to play a song, give you a weather or news update, and more. Plus you'll have voice control over compatible smart home devices from Wemo, Philips Hue and others. You can also stream music from your portable device via Bluetooth. Oh — and it can also be part of a multi-room audio system, too.
Chromecast for high-quality audio streaming
The Polk Assist uses Google's Chromecast built-in wireless audio platform. Stream music over your Wi-Fi® network from your favorite apps on your smartphone or tablet, such as Spotify®, TIDAL, Pandora®, Google Play Music, TuneIn, and iHeartRadio. Chromecast also plays music directly from the cloud, including great-sounding high-resolution audio files up to 24-bit/96kHz.
Simple multi-room audio
You can also make the Polk Assist part of a wireless whole-house audio system using your Wi-Fi network and Polk MagniFi sound bar or other components and speakers with Chromecast built-in. Have a Polk Assist speaker in the kitchen play a Pandora station, while the Magnifi MAX in the family room plays a Spotify playlist. Or have multiple networked Polk speakers play the same song. And you can control it all just by saying "OK, Google."
Roon-compatible for serious music lovers
The Polk Assist is also compatible with Roon, a subscription digital music player you download to your smartphone, tablet, or computer. It gives you multi-room audio playback for all your Chromecast-compatible devices and more. Roon accesses your digital music collection from your iTunes library or NAS drive. It also works with your TIDAL subscription. Roon lets you do deep dives into your music, showing artist bios, photos, reviews, and lyrics. Roon can also suggest other artists and songs based on your selections, making it easy to discover new music you'll enjoy.
- one 3-1/2" woofer and one 1" tweeter
- 40-watt built-in amplifier
- built-in Bluetooth 4.1 for streaming near-CD-quality music from your smartphone or tablet
- built-in dual-band Wi-Fi for easy and stable connection to your network and the internet
- built-in voice control via Google Assistant
- far-field microphone and natural language processing ensure reliable voice recognition
- stay in the know about weather, traffic, finance, sports, and more
- set alarms, start timers, and add items to your shopping list
- Chromecast built-in for creating a multi-room audio setup with Polk MagniFi and other compatible wireless speakers
- control multi-room playback with two or more Polk Assist wireless speakers
- control Chromecast built-in-compatible streaming services such as Spotify, TIDAL, Pandora, Google Play Music, TuneIn, and iHeartRadio (subscription required for some services)
- 24bit-96kHz cloud streaming via Chromecast built-in
- AC adapter
- 4-5/8"W x 7-1/2"H x 4-5/8"D
- weight: 3 lbs.
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # AM9305-A
What's in the box:
- Voice-activated wireless audio speaker
- AC power adapter (attached 8' DC cord)
- Quick Start Guide
- "Getting to Know You Speaker" booklet
- Important Product Information
- Online Product Registration
Polk Assist reviews
From a sound perspective, it's pretty much on par with a Sonos Play 1 for me (indie rock/pop/holiday classics). And that was my goal as I wanted proper Google Assistant as well. It's a decent bit taller. On the Google Assistant side, the voice sounds a little muffled compared to a Home/Mini/Hub. It's also missing continued conversation, a big deal for me. It's why I only kept one of the the two I bought. I know it can't make phone calls if anyone was looking for that, too. Additionally, Polk failed to respond to email or tweet regarding if they have an update plan for GA since it seems to be fairly far behind relative to Google's own stuff. I almost returned the two I got but it does function as part of an audio group and where it's going it isn't critical. Definitely wouldn't get this at full price with all the caveats. The lack of response from Polk is why I returned 1 of 2. The sales price tag is why I kept the other.
Pros: Google Assistant and a decent sounding speaker (for what it is); Not many GA speakers this size unfortunately
Cons: Google Assistant features lag behind; no response from Polk about updates; price (if not on sale)
2 of 2 found this helpful
It sounds better than a Sonos One! I went back and forth via Spotify (320kbps content) for an evening and became convinced. At the same price, you're getting more detailed sound, less distortion, deeper soundstage, etc etc. At that point, the only decision you have to make is Alexa or Google (come on, is that even a decision? Google is so much smarter!). One last note: This is one of the first "Android Things" speakers, not Linux based like previous Google Assistant speakers. Basically, it means this is like owning a Google Pixel vs Samsung Galaxy- you're the first to get new updates, skills act more natively, and fewer hiccups. When you compare that to the Sonos One, where they still don't have all the features of a $30 dot, it was a no brainer for me.
Pros: Good Sound Matches the room
4 of 4 found this helpful
More details on the Polk Assist
Polk Assist: The Polk Assist is a hands-free voice-activated speaker with Google Assistant, Chromecast built-in, and built-in Bluetooth audio streaming. Merging Polk Audio's signature sound and Google's voice assistant technology, the Polk Assist brings together great sound with a powerful digital voice assistant. The Assist also features high-definition music streaming with Chromecast built-In, providing endless entertainment from the most popular music and entertainment apps - all through simple voice-commands. In addition, the Assist supports Bluetooth audio streaming.
Wireless Network Connection: To enjoy Chromecast Built-In & Google Assistant, you will need to connect the Polk Assist to your wireless home network. The Polk Assist is equipped with dual-band (2.4GHz/5GHz) WiFi (802.11 b/g/n/ac) for a high-performance wireless network connection.
Easy Setup with the Google Home App: Use the Google Home App (for Apple iOS 9.1+ and Android OS 4.1+) to connect the Polk Assist to your home's wireless WiFi network, as well as setup the Google Assistant & Chromecast Built-in from your compatible Apple iOS or Android device. You also get to configure compatible apps within the Google Home App, plus adjust other various settings.
Two-Way Driver Design: The Polk Assist voice-activated wireless audio speaker utilizes a two-way driver design featuring a 1" dome tweeter and a 3.5" cone mid-woofer powered by a built-in amplifier for room-filling Polk Audio sound.
AC Power Adapter: The included AC power adapter with attached 8' DC cord plugs into the bottom of the Polk Assist and an AC power outlet or surge protector (sold separately).
Note: The Polk Assist is not battery powered.
Automatic OTA Updates: All new firmware & software updates will happen over-the-air (OTA) automatically. The Assist must to be connected to your WiFi network with at least 30% battery and plugged into the charger to automatically update new firmware & software.
Chromecast Built-In: With Chromecast built-in, you can instantly stream select online music, radio, and podcast services from your Apple iOS or Android device to the Polk Assist speaker. If you're on your laptop or computer, you can also cast any music streaming website through the Chrome browser. Chromecast built-in streams your music directly from the cloud instead of from your device, so you won't lose any sound quality or drain your device's battery.
Note: The Polk Assist is not made for video streaming; you will experience video delay when streaming YouTube and any other videos.
24-Bit/96kHz Audio: Chromecast built-in streams audio directly from the cloud, so you get the highest sound quality (up to 24-bit/96kHz) and the ability to enjoy crystal clear sound exactly the way the artist intended. The Polk Assist supports FLAC, WAV, AAC, and MP3 music files.
Music & Radio: Chromecast built-in lets you play music from popular music services by artist, song, genre, album playlist, mood, or activity. You can also listen to your favorite internet radio stations. Compatible music and internet radio apps include Tidal, Spotify, Pandora, TuneIn, GooglePlay Music, YouTube Music, iHeart Radio, and more (subscription fees may apply). Chromecast built-in currently supports a single account per user (up to 6) and streaming service.
Podcasts: With the Polk Assist and Chromecast built-in, you can listen to your favorite podcasts and shows. Currently, you can't request podcasts from partner podcast players - like Spotify, Google Play Music, and TuneIn.
News, Weather & Sports: With Chromecast built-in you'll get the latest news and weather from sources you trust. You can listen to top headlines, get the latest on a certain category of news (like world, weather, business, tech, etc.), or ask about a specific news item. With Chromecast Built-in, you can even stay up-to-date on your favorite sports, teams, and games.
Android Music Library: Stream your favorite music, playlists, podcasts, and more that are stored on your Android (OS 4.4.2+) device to the Polk Assist. You cannot stream stored content on an Apple iOS device.
Multi-Room Audio: Use the Google Home App (for Apple iOS 9.1+ and Android OS 4.1+) to group multiple speakers with Chromecast built-in together to enjoy the same song in every room - right from your compatible Apple iOS or Android mobile device. Now, you can enjoy music streaming in high-resolution (up to 24-bit/96kHz) across all your Chromecast enabled speakers. See the Accessories Tab for a list of Chrome cast built-in compatible speakers (all sold separately).
Bluetooth Audio Streaming: In addition to streaming music over your wireless network through Chromecast built-in, the Assist also offers built-in Bluetooth 4.1 with support for wireless audio streaming (A2DP/AVRCP). You can stream stored music, music apps, and other audio content on your Bluetooth source device (such as your smartphone, tablet, or computer) to the Polk Assist. Up to three devices can be paired with the Assist, but only one device can be used to stream music at a time. Once paired, the Assist will automatically re-connect with paired devices when in wireless range (up to 33'). You'll also be able to operate Play & Pause functions from the speaker's top-panel controls.
Note: The Assist does not support Bluetooth hands-free phone communication (HFP). However, you can use the Google Assistant over your WiFi network to make phone calls.
Built-in Google Assistant: The Polk Assist is a voice-activated speaker powered by Google Assistant. By saying "Ok Google", the Assist can help perform tasks like playing a favorite song or controlling smart home devices, checking the latest weather, traffic, & finance reports, and finding out the latest sports scores. Thanks to Google's rich history in search, the Polk Assist with Google Assistant is ready for all your questions and commands.
- Far-Field Voice Recognition: Far-field voice recognition allows for easy hands-free operation. Say your commands and ask your questions form across the room and the Polk Assist will respond. Status LED's on the top-panel of the speaker will light up to indicate that it heard your command or question and is working on a response or action.
- Microphone Mute: You can mute the Polk Assist's microphone for privacy. LED lights will indicate that you have muted the microphone and the Google Assistant. The Assist will not react to any voice keywords unless you un-mute the microphone.
- Multi-User Accounts: The Google Assistant has the ability to recognize up to six different users. So when you ask the Google Assistant for help, it can distinguish your voice from your spouse or kids, and you'll be able to hear your own personal playlists, your own commute time, your own schedule and more.
Notes: Click here for Google Home's FAQ site.
Music & Radio: Use your voice to select, play, and control music from compatible Chromecast built-in music services - like Tidal, Spotify, Pandora, TuneIn, GooglePlay Music, YouTube Music, iHeart Radio, and more.
Home Entertainment Compatible: Using only your voice, you can initiate and control audio to any speaker, receiver, or TV with Chromecast, Chromecast Audio, or Chromecast built-in. You'll have access to Play, Pause, Skip, & Volume control of each compatible device. See the Accessories Tab for a list of compatible speakers, receivers, and TVs (all sold separately).
News, Weather & Sports: With the built-in Google Assistant, you can ask about top headlines, get the latest on a certain category of news (like world, weather, business, tech, etc.), or ask about a specific news item. With Google Assistant, you can even stay up-to-date on your favorite sports, teams, and games using just your voice.
Hands-Free Calling: The Polk Assist with Google Assistant supports hands-free calling, so you can call friends, family, and businesses using just your voice. Call your own personal contacts or millions of businesses thanks to Google's extensive business listings. You can also call a number by speaking it aloud. Google does not record any of the phone conversation. Answering incoming calls and calls to emergency services are not supported.
Smart Home Automation: The Polk Assist with Google Assistant lets you control devices around your home from Google Home compatible smart home automation partners - like Philips Hue, Samsung SmartThings, Belkin Wemo, Nest, Honeywell, and more. You can even create your own voice commands for the Google Assistant on your Apple iOS or Android device using IFTTT (If This, Then That).
- Light Control: With Philips Hue or lights connected to Samsung SmartThings, you can use your voice to control the lights around your house without touching a switch (Philips Hue Scenes are not supported).
- Smart Plugs & Switch Control: You can also use your voice to control Belkin Wemo plugs or switches and plugs or switches connected to SmartThings using just your voice and the Google Assistant.
- Thermostat Control: You can use your voice with the Google Assistant to control the temperature in your home, switch between heating and cooling modes, and more (compatible thermostats include the Nest Thermostat, the Honeywell thermostat, or select thermostats connected to Samsung SmartThings).
Manage Tasks & Plan Your Day: Ask the Polk Assist with Google Assistant about your day and hear the information you need without going online or opening your calendar. Also, use voice commands to set alarms and timers for things you need to do.
- Calendar & Event Information: Use Google Home and Google Calendar to get information about an event or get your schedule for the day from Google Calendar - using only your voice. Currently, you will only hear events from the main calendar associated with the Google Account used to set up Google Home. You can't add events to your Google Calendar using your voice. You can even use Google Assistant and Gmail to get status updates on your upcoming flights.
- Traffic, Commute, & Flight Information: With Google Home, you can always get to work on time by hearing information about your commute, traffic conditions, and your estimated time of arrival. You can even call a car to come pick you up with Uber.
- Weather Forecast Information: With Google Home, you can listen to the current weather and upcoming forecast for your location using only your voice.
- Local Business & Shopping Info: With Google Assistant, you can search for local places and ask for important information, like hours of operation or addresses. Order everyday essentials & add items to your shopping list with your Google Assistant on Google Home. Add items to your
- Alarms & Timers: Set, check, cancel, stop, and snooze multiple recurring alarms. Never run late or miss a flight or meeting. You can set and manage alarms with just your voice. Set and manage a timer for cooking, game time, laundry and to track other activities using the timer on Google Home. It's great for the kitchen, but can be used in the living room, bedroom, and more. Set, pause, check, resume, and cancel timers.
Get Answers: The Assist's built-in Google Assistant helps you find answers for many of your daily questions through the Google search engine - including calculations, translations, unit conversions, nutrition, dictionary, finances, facts, and more.
Q Crutchfield asked: Why did you buy this?