About the Polk Audio Omni A1
Just add speakers for wireless music listening
The Omni A1 lets you add wireless music streaming to a pair of stereo speakers, controlled by your smartphone or tablet.
Just add speakers for wireless music listening
Turn any pair of speakers into a wireless music system with the Polk Audio Omni A1. This amplified music player connects to your Wi-Fi® network, so you can stream tunes from smartphones, tablets, computers, and music services like Spotify®. The Polk Omni app is your control center for playback, while the A1 powers your speakers for sound that's clear and dynamic. Plus, you can expand your system by adding Polk Omni wireless speakers to more rooms, to listen to the same song throughout your house, or a different tune in every room.
Play loads of music wirelessly with your smartphone or tablet
The Omni A1 offers lots of ways to listen to music. The free Polk Omni app for Apple® and Android™ is your hub for accessing music stored on your smartphone or tablet. You can also stream music from networked computers and music servers. If you're one of the millions of Spotify® Premium subscribers, Spotify Connect lets you access all your favorite albums and playlists. There's built-in support for Pandora®, TIDAL, Amazon Music and SiriusXM. Plus, you can choose from over 37,000 free Internet radio streams, for a nearly endless supply of music and other programming.
Play-Fi® turns every smartphone into its own music system
The key to the Omni A1's wireless music capability is Play-Fi. Developed by audio innovator DTS, Play-Fi allows you to send the same song to multiple components and speakers, play a different song in every room, or let each member of the family control speakers independently with their own device. Play-Fi can transmit lossless audio at CD quality to up to 16 speakers or components on your network. Best of all, the Polk Omni A1 can work with Play-Fi speakers from other manufacturers. That means you can mix and match different brands of wireless speakers and components, offering more flexibility than closed systems.
An optical digital input lets you connect a TV or Blu-ray player to the Omni A1. There's also a phono input for direct connection of a turntable.
Connect a TV and a turntable
The Omni A1 doesn't limit you to wireless music sources. You can connect a TV or Blu-ray player to the optical digital input, making this a great way to create a two-channel audio system for a TV room. If you're a vinyl fan, there's even a phono input for direct connection of a turntable — no phono stage required. There's also a minijack input, so you can connect a portable music player like an iPod Classic®. If you'd like to augment your stereo speakers' low-frequency output, connect a subwoofer to the A1 and get your bass on.
Easy wireless setup
To set up the Omni A1, download the free Polk Omni app to your Apple or Android device. It will walk you through the quick wireless setup procedure, so you can start enjoying streaming music in minutes.
Explore the entire Polk Audio Omni system and build your whole-house music system
Omni S2 - Compact size, great sound, easy wireless music listening with your smartphone or tablet.
Omni S2 Rechargeable - A rechargeable battery and a weather-resistant design allow outdoor use with this compact speaker.
Omni P1 - Add the Omni wireless system to your existing stereo.
Omni A1 - Connect a pair of speakers to this amplified wireless player.
Omni SB1 - This sound bar and subwoofer bring wireless music to your home theater.
- built-in stereo amplifier: 75 watts x 2 into 4 ohms
- DTS Play-Fi software allows amp to communicate with other Polk Omni devices, as well as other Play-Fi components and speakers
- built-in dual-band Wi-Fi allows connection to your wireless home network and wireless communication with other Play-Fi devices (recommended maximum of 16 devices on a network)
- free Polk/Play-Fi app for Apple and Android devices offers easy music selection and playback
- plays music stored on Apple and Android smartphones and tablets
- supports Spotify Connect, Pandora®, SiriusXM®, and thousands of free Internet radio stations (subscription required for some services; SiriusXM only available with Android devices, with iOS support coming in 2015)
- DLNA support for streaming music from compatible networked computers and NAS drives
- multi-zone synchronous playback (same music plays in multiple zones simultaneously) or multi-stream playback (music individually selected for each player)
- easy wireless setup using your smartphone or tablet
- plays MP3, M4A, FLAC, and WAV files; sampling rates up to 24-bit/192kHz (downsamples high-resolution PCM files to 16-bit/48kHz)
- not compatible with protected files with digital rights management (DRM)
- Dolby® Digital decoding for connecting a TV or Blu-ray player
- front-panel volume buttons
- AC adapter included
Connections and Dimensions:
- binding post speaker terminals
- optical digital audio input
- phono input for connecting a turntable (not for use with other audio components)
- 3.5mm AUX input for connecting an iPod or other portable music player
- preamp output for connecting an optional powered subwoofer
- USB port for firmware updates and phone charging
- 8-5/8"W x 3"H x 8-5/8"D
- warranty: 1 year (2 years with registration)
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- requires high-speed Internet, Wi-Fi router and an Apple or Android smartphone or tablet
- MFR # AM6910-A
What's in the box:
- Wireless amplifier
- 6' AC power cord
- Setup Guide
- Important Product Information
- Important Safety Instructions
- Preferred Service Program
Polk Audio Omni A1 reviews
Great product - does what it says. Perfect for outdoor space where bluetooth doesn't have the range. Plenty of power to push Definitive AW6500 speakers.
0 of 0 found this helpful
I got this amplifier free when I ordered my two Polk Audio Atrium8 outdoor speakers. The Omni A1 is pretty small but sounds great through the Atrium8 speakers. It has four different ways to get sound: 1 - You can play music using the apps built into the Polk app for iPhone and Android which include: Music for music stored on your device, 2 - Amazon Music, 3 - Spotify, but you will have to have their premium service, 4 - Media Server plays music from your server devices, 5 - Pandora and several more. -I strongly recommend getting a Harman Kardon BTA 10 Bluetooth adapter so that you can play any music sources on your various devices. The Omni A1 and the Atrium8 speakers are the best things I've purchased in a good while.
Pros: Nice looking and great quality sound.
Cons: It would have been good to have the Bluetooth built in, but I'm very happy anyway.
0 of 0 found this helpful
Great sound, works well, perfect for the unpowered Martin Logan bookshelf speakers in my bedroom, but doesn't integrate with all of my AirPlay friendly systems. Also, be advised that it is a standalone unit and you need some kind of input to connect it to another receiver. I thought I could link this to my main a/v system, but especially without airplay, I had to purchase a transmitter & receiver to integrate it with my home system. That said, the sound quality was good enough I got the extra equipment rather than switching to a SurroundCast.
0 of 0 found this helpful
Omni A1 works great and sounds great with paradigm atmos speakers I had. I was primarily looking for a smaller receiver that could still power the speakers to fill the house with sound. The A1 looks good under my TV and connects to any devices on your WIFI network with ease. The only caveat is that when connected to my TV via optical cable the receiver cannot be controlled via app as far as I can tell. You have to use the buttons on the reciever itself to control input sources and change volume. I am hoping that an app/firmware update will solve this issue. The playfi system does what it advertises and I am looking forward to adding more speakers soon.
Pros: Great price and easy to set up PlayFi component options for the future
Cons: difficult to use with audio input sources
2 of 2 found this helpful
Bought this for my brother for xmas along with a few other Polk Omni components for full house o wireless audio. They have a big record collection and a couple of turntables, so this seemed a good option out of the various Play-Fi products. The phono/rca input works great, and you also get two other inputs, a stereo mini, and an optical. So it's really a four source amp with the fourth being Play-Fi. Used a couple of Bose bookshelf speakers they were using with a dodgy zone 2 on an old amp and now it sounds really great. The amp has a lot of good clean power and played anything we threw at it clearly. Set up went very smoothly and we had no trouble slinging audio and adding/removing zones/taking over control of speakers from one device/music source to another--with two android phones, an android tablet, and an iPhone. My first round setup of Polk Omni at my own house had a few hiccups, which Polk resolved completely. I'm very impressed with their customer service.
Pros: *Great compact amp to bring life back to good old speakers and add wireless music *Sounds great *Plenty of good, clean power *Simple to use *Multiple input/source options
Cons: *Polk Omni Utililty has speaker optimization only for Polk speakers, although we didn't mess with that much, may work for others
2 of 2 found this helpful
More details on the Polk Audio Omni A1
Omni A1 Wireless Amp: The Polk Audio Omni A1 amplifier allows you to add wireless music streaming to your favorite pair of bookshelf speakers. The Omni A1 features a built-in stereo amplifier with digital signal processing for great sound at any volume level.
- Stereo Amplifier: The Omni A1 wireless amplifier has a peak power rating of 75 watts x 2 channels. It also includes customized EQ settings (via the Polk Omni App) for optimizing the performance when used with Polk loudspeakers.
- Inputs: The Omni A1 is fitted with both analog & digital inputs.
- Analog Inputs + Phono: The Omni series wireless music amplifier features two rear-panel analog audio inputs. There is a stereo minijack (3.5mm) input for connection of almost any external audio device with a analog audio output or headphone jack. There is also a stereo Phono (RCA) input for connection of a turntable for vinyl record listening.
- Dolby Digital Input: The Omni A1 offers a optical (toslink) digital input for connection of your Blu-ray player, Satellite receiver, or Game system. The digital input supports 2ch PCM and Dolby Digital (up to 5.1ch) audio.
- Outputs: The Omni A1 is fitted with a pair of speaker terminals
and a mono-subwoofer output.
- Binding-Post Speaker Terminals: The Omni A1 amplifier is fitted with four binding-post speaker terminals to connect a single pair of speakers. The binding-post terminals will accept bare-wire (up to 10AWG), pin-connectors, spade-connectors, and banana plugs (single or dual).
- Sub Output: The A1 wireless amplifier also features a mono-RCA subwoofer output for connection of a powered sub (sold separately). The amp's sub out is full-range, so you will need a powered subwoofer with a built-in crossover.
Omni Series: The Omni A1 wireless amplifier is part of Polk Audio's Omni Collection, a series of wireless products that allow you to control what you want to listen to from your smartphone, tablet, or computer and stream it wirelessly to any room. You can start with one Omni series wireless product and then add more throughout your home or office.
DTS Play-Fi Wireless Technology: Polk Audio's Omni series collection of wireless speakers, amplifiers, and adapters employ DTS Play-Fi wireless technology for wireless sound that is reliable and high-quality. DTS Play-Fi combines DTS audio and WiFi (802.11 g/n; 2.4/5.0GHz) wireless technology to wirelessly stream high-definition "lossless" audio with no impact on sound quality. DTS Play-Fi will stream pure, bit-for-bit, lossless audio, for uncompromised quality sound; up to 16-bit/48kHz. DTS Play-Fi has a range of up to 100' from your wireless router.
Note: All DTS Play-Fi enabled products work seamlessly together, so there's no hassle adding more speakers, or choosing more than one audio brand (like Definitive Technology, Phorus, Wren, etc..) in your home.
Simple Setup: There are two methods for connecting the DTS Play-Fi wireless music amplifier to your home network. You can perform WiFi setup via the Polk Omni App on your Apple iOS/Android mobile device or Windows PC (this setup allows you to connect multiple Play-Fi device at once to your network). You can also use the WPS button on the amplifier if your wireless router supports WPS (this setup only allows you to connect one Play-Fi device at a time to your network).
Polk Omni App: Download the free Polk Omni App onto your Apple iOS (6.0+) device, Android (2.2+) smartphone/tablet, or Windows (7/8) PC for easy and convenient management of your music from your mobile device or computer. From the app you can initially set up the Omni wireless speaker system, as well as add, link, and control all your Omni and DTS Play-Fi components. You'll be able stream music directly from the system's built-in music online services, or music on your mobile device or PC to multiple Omni series and DTS Play-Fi enabled products throughout your home. The app lets you browse your music by artist, album, genre, or title; and provides album art. You can choose to play the same music in each zone or a different song in each room.
Variety Of Sources: Polk Audio's Omni series wireless collection supports a variety of music sources.
- Mobile Device (Apple iOS + Android): You are able to wirelessly stream your music files from your music library on your Apple iOS (8.0+) or Android (4.0+) device to the Polk Audio Omni wireless amplifier through the free Polk Omni app.
- Online Music Services: From the DTS Play-Fi app on your mobile device or computer, you can share and listen to Pandora, Spotify Connect, SiriusXM, TIDAL, Amazon Music, iHeartRadio, Napster, and Internet Radio. While the DTS Play-Fi app is free, not all the online music services are (subscription & purchasing fees may apply).
- Computer Audio: The Polk Audio Omni series wireless system is DLNA compliant for playback of various music files stored on your Windows PC (7/8) or DLNA-certified NAS drives connected to your home network. MAC OSX computers and laptops require third party software to be visible on the network (Twonky, Plex, Servio etc.) as they do not support DLNA. Use the free Polk Omni app on your mobile device or computer to access these music files.
Supported Music Files: The Polk Audio Omni series wireless system and DTS Play-Fi support music formats such as MP3, AAC, FLAC, and WAV. The system will recognize music files up to 24-bit/192kHz and wirelessly stream these files at up to 16-bit/48kHz (CD quality sound). Some down-sampling may occur to ensure virtually lossless distribution throughout a home network.
Critical Listening Mode: For those who wish to hear high resolution audio as originally intended, Critical Listening mode will enable native rendering of high resolution files up to 24-bit/96kHz, with no down-sampling or network synchronization adjustment. In this way, audio files retain their original audio integrity. Critical Listening Mode is only available on one DTS Play-Fi device and not supported for multiroom audio distribution.
Maximum Number of Rooms/Zones Supported: You can play the same source in each zone or a different song in each room. Eight separate wireless source devices (smartphones, tablets, etc.), each with its own source, are supported simultaneously and any wireless source device can stream to eight DTS Play-Fi playback devices. Due to the bandwidth limitations of most wireless networks, no more than 16 wireless DTS Play-Fi products on a single WiFi network at one given time is recommended.
Mounting Options: The Omni series A2 amplifier can be placed horizontally or vertically on a flat-surface such as a table, desk, shelf, stand, or other piece of AV furniture. Dimensions are as follows based on orientation:
- Horizontal: 8.5625" (w) x 3.0" (h) x 9.9375" (d)
- Vertical: 3.0" (w) x 8.5625" (h) x 9.9375" (d)
AC Power: The Polk Omni A1 wireless music amplifier operates off of standard household current using its integrated power supply and detachable 6' AC power cord.
Q Crutchfield asked: Why did you buy this?
7 questions already asked