About the Kenwood Excelon DNX695S
Kenwood Excelon leads the way with top-notch guidance
Kenwood Excelon leads the way with top-notch guidance
The Kenwood Excelon DNX695S is not your run-of-the-mill navigation receiver. Sure, it's got a 6.8" screen and maps by the experts at Garmin. And yeah, it works with both Apple® and Android™ phones, so you don't have to let your phone dictate what kind of stereo you rock. Of course, it also sports Kenwood's trademark sonic upgrades and ease of use for picking sources. What really sets the DNX695S apart is the "Excelon" badge, which includes extras like a 2-year warranty, high-voltage preamp outputs, dual detachable rear USB inputs, and top-notch audio components for truly immersive sound.
Get more mileage from your smartphone
Kenwood designed the DNX695S to work seamlessly with both Apple CarPlay and Android Auto. No matter what phone you (or your passengers) prefer, you can access the apps you need without getting distracted from the matter at hand — driving your vehicle. The DNX695S gives you fingertip or voice control of your apps, and its beautiful 6.8" resistive touchscreen display offers plenty of real estate to check out your sources and other important info — you can even customize the source button locations for easier access. And even if you're not into using Android Auto to access streaming services, you can still get control of select music apps (like Pandora and Spotify) through the receiver via a wireless Bluetooth connection.
In-dash control of apps with WebLink
WebLink provides you simple in-dash control over select apps like YouTube and Yelp, and it works with both Android and iPhone. So load up the free WebLink for Kenwood app, plug in your phone, and you'll have quick access to some handy infotainment for your journey.
Two phones? Pair 'em both
If you're driving with a passenger, the DNX695S can pair with up to two phones at once. You'll be able to designate one phone as the priority but be able to switch between the two with ease, as well as have access to both phonebooks.
Garmin guidance keeps you on the right path
Leave worries about getting lost behind, as the DNX695S supplies Garmin maps of the U.S., Canada, Mexico, Puerto Rico, and U.S. Virgin Islands. You'll also get reliable routing with spoken street names at turns, lane assistance, and realistic views of complicated intersections. Kenwood's interface also provides more opportunities for split-screen control, so you can still follow the maps as the stereo shows you what's playing or who's calling.
2 years of free INRIX traffic reports
You'll get a free 2-year subscription to INRIX traffic service, which provides quick updates on congestion along your route. You'll need to have your smartphone with the app on it connected to the receiver to take advantage of these traffic updates. INRIX updates require an in-app purchase after the 2-year subscription ends.
HD Radio™ tuner for enhanced sound
The DNX695S also features an HD Radio tuner. You'll enjoy much-improved AM/FM sound quality when you're tuned into a local participating station, and there's no subscription required — just tune it in like a regular radio station.
Your media's meant to be played
This receiver will play all your CDs and DVDs, including discs loaded with music files, while an A/V input offers connection for more audio/video sources. A rear USB lets you add audio from an iPod or flash drive. You also get an microSD card slot for playing digital music files and map updates. You even listen to high-resolution lossless FLAC and WAV files stored on a thumb drive or SD card.
Satellite radio compatibility for nonstop entertainment
Why struggle with stations fading away as you travel? You can hook up a SiriusXM satellite radio tuner (not included) to this receiver and access the wide variety of entertainment, sports, news, and commercial-free music satellite radio provides — and your favorite stations are always there. The DNX695S works with TuneMix, SportsFlash, and other new SiriusXM features, which give you even more customizable options for listening the way you want.
Make your ears happy
Kenwood equipped this Excelon receiver with custom-made or carefully curated sonic components— including three sets of gold-plated 5-volt preamp outputs — to deliver peak levels of audio performance. Kenwood's Drive EQ+ technology boosts certain frequencies that are easily masked by wind and tires rolling on asphalt. It also enhances your music's bottom end as your speed increases, so you can really feel those tunes as you drive. You can also craft the sound to your ears' content with a 13-band equalizer and other soundshaping tools at your disposal.
Add a dash cam, rear-view cam, or both
The DNX695S is capable of connecting two different cameras, so you can see more when you're getting in and out of tight spots. If you've got a pair of rear-view cameras, you can reverse the image of the one up front to get a more precise picture. The receiver also features a dedicated input for Kenwood's DRV-N520 Drive Recorder so you can capture your travels in high definition.
Want to keep your car's steering wheel audio controls?
In most cars, you'll need an adapter to retain those controls with this car stereo. Connect a few wires, then program the adapter for your particular car and radio, and you'll retain the convenience of your steering wheel controls. You'll see the adapters that work with your vehicle when you add this receiver to your cart.
iDatalink Maestro lets you keep your factory extras — and add some upgrades
The DNX695S offers compatibility you won't find in many other aftermarket radios, thanks to the iDatalink Maestro module (not included). In a wide selection of vehicles, this module lets you keep factory features that you'd otherwise lose when you install a new radio. You'll also be able to check out engine performance data and other vehicle info on the Kenwood's screen. It'll even integrate your stealth K40 RL200di radar detector into the stereo's display, so you can see and hear about incoming threats. Once you've identified your vehicle, you'll see the iDatalink module offered on the way to the Shopping Cart if it's compatible.
Bluetooth note: Use of this receiver's Bluetooth features will depend upon your phone's Bluetooth capabilities. Learn more in our articles about Bluetooth profiles.
iPod/smartphone note: If you're going to use your iPod or smartphone with this receiver, be sure to check "Details" for compatibility information.
- DVD/CD player with 6.8" touchscreen and AM/FM tuner
- fits double-DIN (4" tall) dash openings
- built-in Bluetooth for hands-free calling and audio streaming
- built-in HD Radio tuner
- plays lossless FLAC audio files (up to 192kHz/24-bit) from flash media
- compatible with Apple CarPlay and Android Auto (wired connection)
- WebLink for in-dash control of select apps (including YouTube and Yelp)
- music control and charging of Apple and select Android devices using the USB connections
- Pandora and Spotify control with iPhone and Android
- compatible with Kenwood Remote S smartphone app for wireless source selection through your phone
- built-in Garmin navigation system
- maps of the United States, Canada, Mexico, Puerto Rico, and U.S. Virgin Islands, plus 6 million points of interest
- optional traffic reports available through INRIX smartphone app 2-year subscription included with purchase (smartphone required)
- text-to-speech voice prompts announce actual road names at turns
- plays CDs, DVDs, USB memory devices, and SD cards (see Details for full capabilities)
- Drive EQ boosts specific frequencies to overcome road noise
- 13-band EQ
- high- and low-pass filters
- digital time alignment, space enhancer, sound realizer, sound elevation, bass boost, and loudness
- dual-zone A/V output
- supports rear-view camera adjustable parking lines (optional camera required)
- audiophile-quality sonic circuitry including gold-plated preouts
- compatible with SiriusXM satellite radio tuner
- inputs: two rear detachable USB inputs; microSD card slot; rear A/V input; two camera inputs; including Kenwood DRV-N520 Drive Recorder input
- outputs: rear A/V output; 6-channel preamp outputs (5-volt front, rear, subwoofer)
- built-in amplifier (22 watts RMS/50 peak x 4 channels)
- compatible with most factory steering wheel audio controls (adapter required)
- compatible with iDatalink Maestro
- retains factory features in a wide selection of vehicles
- displays engine performance and other vehicle data on touchscreen
- warranty: 2 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # DNX695S
What's in the box:
- Navigation receiver w/ fixed 6.75" touchscreen monitor (15A fuse)
- Sleeve (attached)
- Trim ring
- Wiring harness
- Two 39" USB extension cables
- Microphone w/ bracket (attached 10' cable terminated by a right-angle mono 3.5mm connector)
- GPS antenna (attached 11.5' cable terminated by a proprietary connector)
- Self-adhesive pad
- 2 Radio removal tools
- 6 Pan-head ISO-mount screws
- 6 Flat-head ISO-mount screws
- Instruction Manual
- Warranty card
Kenwood Excelon DNX695S reviews
Great unit, very responsive and all the apps work well. This was an upgrade from the DNX573S and I will say the Excelon model is nice. Fast Bluetooth pairing , good audio quality and excellent tuneability!!
Pros: Fast, responsive interface and easy installation
0 of 0 found this helpful
Installed this in my 2000 Ford Lightning replacing the factory unit. The sound difference is amazing. Installation was straight forward. Took about 2 hours due to required sub-dash modifications for this vehicle. My 19 year old daily driver now has a modern day audio system.
Pros: This unit has so many features available. Back-up camera and dash cam can be integrated or added later. Has CarPlay, BT,micro SD slot, and 2 USB ports. Sound quality is great. Volume level exceeds expectations even without amplifier.
Cons: None at this time.
0 of 0 found this helpful
excellent overall very nice easy to navigate I love it ,Kenwood did there homework.
Cons: takes a little bit to get use to..
0 of 0 found this helpful
Overall an okay radio. Still having some issues, as the backup camera does not activate and the steering wheel controls sometimes stop working randomly. The Sirius connection will also lose signal randomly even if in clear skies with no obtrusion. The USB external connections also do not work properly. The sound is very good however, especially over the factory head unit. Kenwoods "weblink" app is also just horrible.
Pros: Sound clarity over the original head unit is great.
Cons: Lot of apps not working, Kenwood app is horrible.
0 of 0 found this helpful
I needed to replace my junk infotainment unit in my Mazda CX-5. Some automobile manufacturers do not put much effort into the infotainment. The advisor at Crutchfield suggested the Kenwood Excelon DNX695S. I had it professionally installed and it integrated well into my vehicle. The interface kit that I also purchased was about 98% complete. The tech said he had to run an extra wire to the backup camera. I have ALL but two (telephone pickup & telephone hang up) of the steering wheel controls working and the backup camera works as well. The navigation works great. This is my 2nd Kenwood and as far as features it is as expected - really good. The learning curve isn't terrible as far as menu navigation goes. I am very happy so far but still trying to acclimate to the full functionality.
Pros: Has all the features including usb, mp3, Bluetooth, navigation and nice display.
Cons: Can't think of any
0 of 0 found this helpful
Love the unit. Crisp clear sound with lots of options.
0 of 0 found this helpful
The installation was very straightforward and simple in my 2003 Ford F-250 Crewcab. First impressions. The touch screen can be finicky. I sometimes can not select a function without multiple finger taps. Other times choosing the same function takes only one tap. The unit does not want to eject DVDs. I have only inserted 2 DVDs into the player and on both occasions I have had problems ejecting the discs. When I select "eject" the unit does not recognize the request. I can select "Eject" multiple times and nothing happens. What I learned is that I have to hold my finger on the eject function and then this message will appear. "This disk will be forcefully ejected" The disk still will not eject until I repeat this cycle 2-3 times. There are occasions that other functions will not respond as well, often times using my music library in CarPlay. In the menu when playing a song from my iPhone 7 music library I sometimes can not go backward in the music menu from the song playing, to the albums, to the artist and back to the library. Sometimes it takes multiple attempts. I will call Crutchfield regarding these issues tomorrow. The quality of the sound and video is to me excellent, far and above the sound of the factory installed unit. So much more detail and fullness to the music. I also installed 4 Infinity 8632 CFX speakers and a Rockford Fosgate R400-4D amp.) Setup of the unit was easy but somewhat confusing because of the issues with the touchscreen.
Pros: Sound and video quality, ease of installation
Cons: Disk eject issues and touchscreen problems. Can not see the screen in bright sunlight. Not an intuitive device, you can not learn how to operate it just by pressing buttons.
0 of 0 found this helpful
Excellent product. User friendly and easy to install and set up. Bluetooth works great for streaming music and the call quality is exceptional without any background noise or static. Navigation works well and the built in POI makes finding things like gas stations and hotels a simple touch of the screen. Sound quality is smooth and crystal clear, plus the built in EQ lets you tune the system to your liking.
Pros: Bright display, user interface is easy to use, you can download custom wall paper.
Cons: Screen does not tilt, even though it is in the menu.
0 of 0 found this helpful
App does not interface well with the head unit . Missing parts when I opened the box . Rear monitors are not linking with the unit .
1 of 1 found this helpful
It works wonderfully and easy install. Way better then stock radio
0 of 0 found this helpful
Awesome unit. Does everything I wanted in a car stereo. Simple and very easy to use. Makes my daily commute more enjoyable.
Pros: Apple CarPlay/Android Auto, SiriusXM ready, built-in Navigation by Garmin
Cons: No 24hr time option
0 of 0 found this helpful
Replaced IO3 device in 2017 C1500. EASY install.. took about 40 minutes (had to cut away some plastic) thanks to Crutchfield's low-cost cable assembly. Cable assembly is highly recommended. Exactly what I expected... LOVE IT!
Pros: Easy Installation. Easy Hookup (thanks to plug & play Crutchfield harnsess assembly). Great unit
1 of 1 found this helpful
Excellent unit, easy to install and configure. My wife loves the fast response and the navigation is great. Bluetooth even with windows phone is flawless. Got the same Garmin gps in separate unit only thing i wished was the resolution of display is too low cant see that much, my garmin gps is better you can see way more what's on the map. The volume buttons are also too small my wife hits the off button by mistake so close together. Sound is awesome compare to Toyota factory deck. Front and rear camera integration flawless.
Pros: Bluetooth, Nav, interface, response
Cons: Small volume buttons, Low resolution screen on Nav.
1 of 1 found this helpful
beautiful looks and great sound quality all options you could ask for , makes your music sooo good 10 starts . makes my corvette a theater.
Pros: easy conversion with guys from crutchfield
2 of 2 found this helpful
Installed for 3 weeks now. Works great, Android Auto is nice as is the Bluetooth connection. I'd like to see: 1) a mute button on the display somewhere 2) screen mirroring so the headrest-mounted displays for backseat passengers can watch whatever they are watching on their phones 3) assign equalizers and volume based on what is playing, radio, versus, Bluetooth, vs. Android Auto... too much variation in volume based on device connected.
Pros: Android Auto Bluetooth Awesome satellite and radio reception - even in my garage, where I used to lose both. color button setup large buttons on the screen split display with navigation
Cons: 1) No mute button 2) No screen mirroring 3) Not able to assign equalizers and volume based on what is playing, radio, versus, Bluetooth, vs. Android Auto... too much variation in volume based on the device connected. 4) needs more voices selectable for Navigation prompt 5) voice recognition relies on the phone having Google voice running
2 of 2 found this helpful
WOW!!. Didn't want to replace my KE DNX 9990 (2012). Took the plunge, less money and greater amenities. The service provided by Carter at Crutchfield was phenomenal
Pros: What more can I say?
0 of 0 found this helpful
The unit works great. Can be a little confusing figuring out all the settings.
0 of 0 found this helpful
fits in my 2009 Silverado perfectly, looks like it was a factory unit. integrates with the steering wheel controls. HD radio is great
1 of 1 found this helpful
I love it
1 of 4 found this helpful
A lot of cool features but the apple car play had lots of issues. I even updated the firmware, but that made it worse. Sent it back for an Alpine.
1 of 3 found this helpful
The customer service has been just great and the options to help your team delivers is just excellent!
Pros: Keep up the great work.
3 of 4 found this helpful
I really like this Kenwood Receiver. I bought it because it has Garmin Navigation, XM Radio, and 2 Camera inputs. I have a slightly older model in another car and I'm happy with that one too! One problem I found is that when I play my recorded music from either a MicroSD or USB memory stick, the random player gets confused by having multiple subdirectories. It will be playing just fine, then suddenly it will get stuck on one artist and play only that group. I'm going to reduce the subdirectory depth and see if this helps. Otherwise, if the need would arise, I would buy this model again.
Cons: I wish it had a volume control knob. One problem I found is that when I play my recorded music from either a MicroSD or USB memory stick, the random player gets confused by having multiple subdirectories. It will be playing just fine, then suddenly it will get stuck on one artist and play only that group.
4 of 4 found this helpful
More details on the Kenwood Excelon DNX695S
Features & specs
|AUX Input||Mini (rear)|
|Audio/video Input||Mini (rear)|
|USB Input||Rear (2)|
|Backup Camera Input||Yes|
|Second Camera Input||Yes|
|Siri Control||CarPlay only|
|Memory Card Slot||USB, microSD/SDHC/SDXC|
|Satellite Radio Ready||SiriusXM 3.0|
|RMS Power (CTA-2006)||N/A|
|RMS Power (Manufacturer)||22 watts|
|Peak Output||50 watts|
|RMS Power Bandwidth||20-20kHz|
|Sub Preamp Outputs||Yes|
|Switchable Rear Preamp Outputs||No|
|Preamp Voltage||5 volts|
|Key Button Color||Variable|
|Steering Wheel Control Compatible||Adapter required|
|Parts Warranty||2 Years|
|Labor Warranty||2 Years|
|FM Sensitivity||9.3 dBf|
|Radio Data System||Yes|
|High-res Playback||WAV/FLAC (24-bit/192kHz), DSD (up to 11.2MHz)|
Garmin Navigation: With built-in Garmin & HERE navigation software and map data, the Kenwood DNX695S features on-screen maps of the United States, Puerto Rico, Virgin Islands, Canada, and Mexico. The built-in maps include over 6-million Points of Interest (POIs) such as hotels, restaurants, gas stations, attractions, parking, airports, ATMs, and more. The built-in navigation software provides you with calculated on-screen routes and audible directions to follow in order to reach your destination safely.
Note: While the receiver's map database was judged to be as accurate as possible at the time of its release (2016), a map database can never be 100% accurate. Road information that is maintained in the map databases, such as turn restrictions or road names may change over time.
Software/Map Data Updates: When the preloaded maps are considered out of date, the Kenwood receiver will provide periodic notification at startup. Garmin software and map updates can be purchased and downloaded as needed, via microSD card. To find a software or map update, please go to www.garmin.com/kenwood.
GPS Receiver & Antenna: The Kenwood DNX695S employs a high-sensitivity GPS receiver that is forgiving of less than optimal antenna placement, giving you additional placement options. The included GPS antenna features a self-adhesive base and an attached 11.5' cable which plugs into the back of the head unit. The GPS antenna is designed to be mounted inside the vehicle on the dash. The GPS antenna measures 1.3125" (w) x 0.625" (h) x 1.4375" (d). The self-adhesive pad measures 2.5625" square.
- Acquisition Time: 29 seconds (cold)
- Update Rate: 1/second, continuous
- Accuracy: <2.5 meters continuous (Position), 0.1 meter/sec (Velocity)
Note: The navigation receiver took approximately 14.1 seconds to calculate directions from Charlottesville, Virginia to Los Angeles, California. It only took 7.3 seconds to calculate directions from Charlottesville, Virginia to Baltimore, Maryland. These tests were done inside the Crutchfield Lab of the Crutchfield Head Quarters. Results will vary based on length of calculated route and your surrounding area.
INRIX Traffic: You can receive INRIX traffic information and weather forecast through the Kenwood Excelon DNX695S by connecting your compatible iPhone or Android smartphone with "Kenwood's Traffic Powered By INRIX" application (for Apple iOS 7.1+ and Android OS 4.0.3+) installed. While the DNX695S is in navigation mode, it pulls real-time data from the INRIX Traffic app on your smartphone which provides you with up-to-the-minute traffic, weather, parking, traffic cameras, and travel advisory information on-screen. You get 2 years free access to INRIX traffic information (fees will apply after 2nd year). Your iPhone must be connected via USB, while your Android smartphone must be connected via Bluetooth to the Kenwood navigation receiver.
- Traffic: By automatically learning a user's driving habits, INRIX Traffic personalizes routes to avoid the worst traffic, recommends trips and departure times, and provides automatic, intelligent alerts to keep users aware of changing road conditions. INRIX even provides real-time images from traffic cameras along major roadways to supplement the traffic information.
- Weather: INRIX provides local area current temperatures, forecasted weather conditions, and severe weather alerts. It also gives you advance warning of dangerous weather-related road conditions ahead, keeping your safer along your route.
- Parking: INRIX helps you to find detailed parking information, including parking availability in nearby garages and pricing information.
- Fuel: INRIX also helps you find nearby fuel stations and compare fuel prices.
On-Screen Map: The Kenwood DNX695S displays a real-time moving map illustrating your current position and intended route. It will show map scale and geographic details such as lakes, rivers, highways and towns. Your route is marked with a magenta line. A checkered flag marks your destination. As you travel the DNX695S guides to your destination with arrows on the map and directions at the top of the screen. The upper-left corner of the screen indicates the distance to your next maneuver. During your calculated route, your arrival time is displayed in the lower left corner, your current speed is shown in the lower right corner. The posted speed limit for most major roads is displayed near the lower right corner as well. The unit allows you to zoom, pan, and point using the touchscreen during navigation.
- Map Detail: You can adjust the amount of detail shown on the map screen. More detail may cause the map to be slower.
- 2D/3D Map View: You can changes the perspective of the map from 2D North-Up (displays the map in 2 dimensions with North at the top), 2D Track-Up (displays the map in 2 dimensions with your direction of travel at the top of the screen), 3D Track-Up (displays the map in 3 dimensions with your direction of travel at the top of screen).
- Vehicle Type: You can change the icon (arrow, station wagon, sports car, compact car, SUV, jeep, RV, or sled) used to display your position on the map.
- Color Mode: Select between Day (for a bright background), Night (for a black background) or Auto (to automatically switch between the two) for the on-screen map.
Note: In Split-Screen mode, you can view song/artist information (including album art) of your audio source while you also viewing the navigation map. In addition, the backup camera can be displayed in Split-Screen mode along with the map screen. You can even watch video in Split-Screen mode along with the map when the vehicle's parking brake is engaged.
Text-To-Speech Voice Prompts: The unit's text-to-speech voices "read and speak" the same words that are displayed on the unit's screens. The voices have an extensive vocabulary and they pronounce the street names as you approach turns. Voice prompts can heard from both of your front speakers, only the left front speaker, or only the right front speaker. You can independently adjust the volume (0-40) of the voice prompts without affecting the main volume. The unit offers English, French, and Spanish voice prompts.
Note: You can continue to listen to your music source while navigating. The DNX695S will mute the music source, when there is a text-to-speech voice prompt. Once the voice prompt has ended, your music volume will automatically raise to previous setting.
Driver Assistance: The DNX695S features Turn & Lane Assistance, Exit Services, and Speed Limit Icons to assist you along the calculated route to your destination.
- Turn & Lane Assistance: While navigating a route, a preview of the next turn, lane change, or other maneuver appears in the upper-left corner of the map. Lane Assist guides you to the correct lane for an approaching turn or exit, making unfamiliar intersections and exits easy to navigate.
- Exit Services: The Exit Services function lets you search roadway exits for food, lodging, and rest areas so you are never left guessing what is around the bend. You must be on a major highway or road to use this feature.
- Speed Limit Icon: A speed limit icon may appear as you travel on major roadways. This icon displays the current speed limit of the roadway. The unit's speed limit icon feature is for information only and does not replace the driver's responsibility to abide by all posted speed limit signs and to use safe driving judgment at all times.
Destination & Location Screens: The DNX695S offers a variety of destination/location screens & functions to help you along your route.
- Where Am I?: The "Where Am I?" feature gives you instant access to important information in case of an emergency. When you select "Where Am I?" from the menu, you get the coordinates (including elevation) of your current position, plus the nearest address and intersections. There are also menus to help you locate the nearest hospitals, police stations, gas stations, and roadside assistance. You can also save the location for future reference.
- Where To? Screen: The "Where To?" screen provides
several different ways to enter your destination. The navigation system
automatically searches for places near your current location. You can also
choose to have the DNX695S search for places in a different city, a recent
destination, a favorite destination, projected destination, or along your
- Browse Map: Allows you to search for a destination by touching and dragging the map.
- Go Home: You can store one home location to allow you to calculate a route home from any current location.
- Address/Cities/Intersections: Input your destination address by house number, street, city, and zip-code. You can also search for a city by name or search two intersecting streets.
- POI Category + Quick Search: The detailed maps loaded in this navigation system contain locations, such as restaurants, hotels, parking, auto services, and other POIs (points-of-interest). You can use these categories to browse for nearby businesses and attractions. After you have performed a search for a point-of-interest, certain categories may display a Quick Search list that displays the last four destinations you selected.
- Favorites & Recents: You can save all of your favorite places in the navigation system, so you can quickly navigate to them later. You can also choose from one of your most recent destinations (up to 50) or waypoints.
- Search Bar & Shortcuts: You can use the Search Bar to search for locations by entering a category, brand name, address, or city name. In addition, you can add up to 36 shortcuts to the Where to? menu. A shortcut can point to a location, a category, or a search tool.
- Where I've Been/Trip Log: The "Where I've Been" application allows you to view your previous routes and places you have stopped on the map. In addition, the device keeps a Trip Log, which is a record of the path you have traveled. The Travel History setting must be enabled in order for the Where I've Been and Trip Log features to function.
Trends: The DNX695S has the ability to recall frequent destinations and historic traffic information to help calculate your route faster.
- myTrends: The myTrends feature senses when you are driving to a common destination and displays the destination and estimated time of travel in the navigation bar on the map. myTrends does not work when you first begin using your navigation system. To effectively use the myTrends feature, your frequent destinations must be marked as favorites, and a regular pattern of driving habits must be established with three days of regular driving usage.
- trafficTrends: When the trafficTrends feature is enabled, the navigation system uses historic traffic information to calculate more efficient routes. Different routes may be calculated based on traffic trends for the day of the week or based on the time of day.
ecoRoute: The ecoRoute feature calculates your vehicle's fuel economy, carbon footprint, the fuel price of navigating to your destination, and offers tools for improving fuel efficiency. The first time you access the ecoRoute features, you will be asked to enter fuel and mileage information (Fuel Type, City Fuel MPG, HWY Fuel MPG, Fuel Price) about your vehicle.
- Fuel Economy: If you have entered your vehicle profiles and the current fuel price, the DNX695S calculates fuel used, the average fuel economy for your vehicle, your carbon footprint, and the cost of the fuel consumed.
- At The Pump: At your next fill-up, you can enter in fuel price, amount of fuel used, and the distance you traveled to calculate your vehicle's miles-per-gallon (MPG).
- ecoChallenge Tool: The ecoChallenge tool helps you
maximize your fuel economy by scoring your driving habits. The higher your
overall score for a driving challenge, the more fuel you could save. You
overall score is the average of these 3 scores -
- Speed: gain points for driving at the best speed for conserving fuel, which is 45-60mph for most vehicles.
- Acceleration: gain points for gradual acceleration; lose points for rapid acceleration
- Braking: gain points for gradual braking; lose points for hard braking
- Mileage Report: Mileage reports provide the distance, the time, the average fuel economy, and the fuel cost of navigation to a destination. A mileage report (up to 20) is created for every route that you drive. If you stop a route on your navigation system, a mileage report is created for the distance you traveled.
Note: The data provide by the ecoRoute feature is only an estimate. The data is not actually read from your vehicle.
Route Preferences/Avoidances: When calculating a route, you can select the following preferences; faster time, shorter distance, less fuel, or off road. You can also program the unit to avoid certain things that may be undesirable on your route; such as U-Turns, Highways, Toll Roads, Carpool Lanes, Unpaved Roads, and Ferries.
Auto Reroute/Detour: If you happen to depart from your original route, the internal navigation system recalculates the route and provides new route instructions. You can also select a specific area to detour around. The navigation system will attempt to get you back on your original route as quickly as possible, after calculating a detour. If the route you are currently taking is the only reasonable option, the DNX695S might not calculate a detour.
Trip Planner (Multiple Destination Routing): You can create and save a trip with multiple destinations (up to 500 via points) using the Trip Planner. Once you have entered your destinations, you can manually set them in the order of your preference, or allow the device to calculate the most efficient route. Trip itineraries can be saved in memory for future use. You can even add scheduling information to each location in your trip, including the desired arrival time and layover duration at each location.
Trip Computer: The trip information page displays your current speed and direction, and provides helpful statistics about your trip. Dual trip odometers keep up with your total mileage. The page also indicates the distance and driving time to your next maneuver, as well as the distance and driving time to your destination. Your maximum speed and moving average speed are also displayed. The information can be reset in advance of your next trip.
Safe Mode: Safe Mode disables all navigation system functions that require significant operator attention and could become a distraction while driving when the vehicle's parking brake is disengaged. You will need to engage the vehicle's parking brake to enter addresses or other advance navigation functions when you have the unit set to Safe Mode.
GPS Simulator: You can turn the unit's GPS receiver off and simulate travel along a projected route.
Android Auto: The Kenwood DNX695S navigation receiver supports the Android Auto app for Android smartphones running OS Lollipop (5.0 or newer). Your compatible Android smartphone must be connected to the Kenwood receiver's "grey" USB port (not "black") using the included USB extension cable and USB cable that came with your smartphone, plus be paired via Bluetooth. Android Auto extends the Android platform into your car in a way that's purpose-built for driving and automatically brings you useful information and organizes it into a simple on-screen interface that is simple to use in the vehicle. It's designed to minimize distraction so you can stay focused on the road ahead. Features of Android Auto include -
- Google Assistant: The Kenwood receiver enhances your Android Auto experience even more by incorporating Google Assistant using the head unit's external microphone and your car speakers for voice command and text-to-speech, which makes using Android Auto and all of its integrated applications fast, easy, and safe. You will need to press the "mic" button or say "OK Google" to activate the Google Assistant. Use the Google Assistant to make a call, send a message, reply to a message, get driving directions, listen to music, or even control select Google Assistant smarthome enabled devices.
- Google & Waze Maps: Use Google Maps to get where you're going with on-screen maps, voice-guided navigation, live traffic information, lane guidance, and more. Select your destination by using the head unit's touchscreen or just say where you want to go through the unit's external mic and Google Speech Technology. You can even listen to music from your Android Auto device or other connected source device while using Google Maps. If you prefer, you can switch over to a simpler version of the community-based Waze navigation app (version 4.27 or higher).
- Phone & SMS: With Android Auto you get access to your contacts and messages through the Kenwood receiver while keeping your eyes on the road. Use the unit's external mic and Google Speech Technology to make a phone call, or have your text-messages read aloud to you while you concentrate on the road ahead; you can even reply to texts via voice command.
- Music: Access your Android smartphone's music library through the Kenwood receiver via Google Play Music. You'll be able to browse music like you do on your smartphone with song/artist information display and album art. Use the receiver's touchscreen to select songs or just say what song you want to listen to through the head unit's external mic and Google Speech Technology. You also get access to online music and radio stations from Amazon Music, Tidal, Pandora, Spotify, iHeart Radio, Slacker Radio, Tune-In, and more; as well as news, sports and talk radio apps. Music apps include song and station browsing, plus song/artist information and album art or station logo. Click here for a list of all compatible app for Android Auto.
- Only one Android device with Android Auto can be connected at a time.
- An Android Auto device and Apple CarPlay device cannot be connected at the same time.
- Bluetooth hands-free phone and wireless music streaming cannot be used while Android Auto is being used with a connected Android smartphone.
- Use a USB cable that is under 6' long and avoid using any extension cable other than the one supplied.
- If you need an additional USB extension cable, use Kenwood's CA-U1EX USB extension cable (113CAU1EX, sold separately); any other USB extension cable can cause Android Auto to malfunction.
- Click here to learn more About Android Auto and to see what phones are compatible.
Apple CarPlay Compatible: Apple CarPlay is the smarter, safer in-vehicle interface to operate your iPhone (iOS 7.1+) with Lightning-connector. Your iPhone must be connected to the Kenwood receiver's "black" USB port (not "grey") via the included USB extension cable and the Lightning-cable that came with your Apple device or Kenwood's Lightning connector-to-USB cable (113KCIP103, sold separately). Apple CarPlay is specially designed for driving scenarios. You can control CarPlay from the Kenwood receiver's touchscreen controls or use Siri to control to control CarPlay with just your voice. You'll be able to use CarPlay to get directions, make phone calls, listen to voice mails, send/receive text messages, select music, and even control Apple HomeKit compatible devices in a way that keeps you focused on the road ahead.
- Navigation Maps: The power and simplicity of Apple Maps comes to your dashboard; complete with turn-by-turn direction, traffic conditions, and estimated travel time. You can enter a new destination or choose a favorite or recent destination using the head unit's touchscreen or by simply asking Siri. CarPlay can also predict where you most likely want to go using addresses from your email, text messages, contacts, and calendars. If you have iOS 12.0 or newer on your iPhone with the latest version of Google Maps or Waze, you can choose to navigate via the Google Maps or Waze application instead of Apple Maps. Google Maps and Waze do not support Siri voice control, but will have their own proprietary voice control function which has to be accessed through a touchscreen icon on the receiver.
- Phone & Messages: You'll be able to make calls, return missed calls, and listen to voicemails through the Kenwood receiver. Siri can also help you do all these things. In addition, Siri can send, read, and reply to your text messages for you; so you never have to look at your iPhone while driving.
- Music Library: Access your artists, song, playlists, and iTunes Radio on your iPhone using the Kenwood receiver's touchscreen. Or, just tell Siri what you'd like to listen to. The head unit's touchscreen will display song/artist information, as well as album art in the background.
- Apps: CarPlay also supports additional audio apps that you've downloaded to your iPhone for enjoying music, radio, sports, news, podcasts, & audiobooks (subscriptions and fees may apply). Control these apps from the head unit's touchscreen just like you would from your iPhone. Current supported apps include:
- Apple HomeKit Compatible: CarPlay now supports control of Apple HomeKit enabled devices (sold separately) through Siri. Using CarPlay in your vehicle, you can ask Siri to close or open your garage door, turn on or off home lighting, increase or decrease the temperature of your thermostat, as well as control select functions of other Apple HomeKit enabled devices and appliances. Click here for a list of compatible Apple HomeKit products.
- Only one Apple CarPlay device can be connected at a time. Must be connected to the "black" USB port (not "grey" USB port).
- An Android Auto device and Apple CarPlay device cannot be connected at the same time.
- Bluetooth hands-free phone and wireless music streaming cannot be used while Apple CarPlay is being used with a connected iPhone.
- If you need an additional USB extension cable, use Kenwood's CA-U1EX USB extension cable (113CAU1EX, sold separately). Any other USB extension cable can cause CarPlay to malfunction.
WebLink (for iPhone & Android): Download the Kenwood WebLink app (for Apple iOS 9.0+ and Android OS 4.4+) and connect your compatible iPhone or Android smartphone via USB to access some of your favorite apps such as YouTube and Yelp through the Kenwood DNX695S. Your iPhone must be connected to the receiver's "black" USB port (not "grey"). Your Android smartphone should be connected to "grey" USB port (not "black"). Using these apps through the large, clear touchscreen of the DNX695S makes WebLink a safe and easy way to access popular navigation, media, weather apps while in your vehicle.
- Yelp: Yelp uses automated software to recommend the most helpful and reliable reviews for the Yelp community among the millions submitted. The software looks at dozens of different signals, including various measures of quality, reliability, and activity on Yelp. Let Yelp help you find the best Restaurants, Hotels, Automotive Service Centers, Banks, Shopping Malls, and more. Search by Category, Favorites, Distance, Point on the Map, or Keyword. A keyword search requires that your vehicle's parking brake be engaged.
- OpenWeatherMap: Within WebLink is the OpenWeatherMap app, which gives you today's forecast and a four day outlook of the weather in your area.
- YouTube: With WebLink, you can access YouTube and play videos on the Kenwood receiver's touchscreen monitor (your vehicle's parking brake will need to be engaged). You can select videos from a variety of categories or search by keyword(s).
- NextRadio: The NextRadio (for Apple iOS 10.0+ and Android OS 4.2+) lets you tune to every local FM station by using your smartphone's built-in FM chip. NextRadio lets you experience local FM radio by showing album art, station logos, and song & program details in an engaging display. NextRadio's Newsfeed lets you stay current with your favorite stations by curating a personalized display of related content based on your listening preferences. View stations' tweets, artist info, hot songs, contests, upcoming concerts, emergency alerts and more
- MediaPlayer (Audio Only): WebLink allows you to access your Apple iOS or Android devices stored music library for playback. From the DNX695S's touchscreen, you can browse your phone's music library by Artist, Album, Genres, Playlist, or Songs. You can also search your music by typing in an artist's name or a song title (the vehicle's parking brake has to be engaged for this feature). In addition, you get playback controls such as Play/Pause, Previous/Next Track, & Random/Repeat. The navigation receiver's screen will display song/artist/album information, along with album art.
- Once you have your device connected to the head unit and you have selected WebLink as the source, the WebLink app are not controllable from your Apple iOS or Android device. If you need to control the WebLink app from your smartphone, you will have to disconnect your phone's cable from the Kenwood receiver. If you need to control the WebLink app from your phone, you will have to tap "Disconnect" on the app on your phone's screen.
- The WebLink app app must be opened as the primary app on your phone. If you press the home button or go to access other apps on your phone, the WebLink apps will pause on the Kenwood receiver, until the WebLink app is the primary app again. WebLink will not work with these apps only running in the background.
- Some apps within WebLink will require that your vehicle's parking brake be engaged to operate certain functions & features of the application.
- You can only connect one iPhone or one Android smartphone (two devices cannot be connected at the same time).
iPod/iPhone Music Playback Only: If you don't desire Apple CarPlay or WebLink, you can also connect your Lightning-connector Apple iPod/iPhone to the DNX695S for music playback & control only using Kenwood's Lightning connector-to-USB cable (113KCIP103 sold separately) or the Lightning-to-USB cable that came with your Apple device. Simply plug your compatible Apple device into either of the receiver's rear-panel USB ports. The Kenwood receiver supports playback of stored music and music apps, along with control and charging, plus song/artist information and album art.
- Head Unit Control: The Kenwood head unit allows you to
navigate your iPod/iPhone's music library from its front-panel &
touchscreen controls. The head unit offers unique search features like
Category Search & Link Search, plus offers basic playback functions like
Play/Pause, Fast Forward/Rewind, Previous/Next Track and Repeat/Random of
your connected iPod/iPhone. You'll also still be able to control your
connected iPod touch or iPhone from its own touchscreen so you can access
other music applications.
- Category Search: Category Search allows you to navigate your iPod/iPhone's music library by Playlist, Artists, Album, Song, Genre, Song, Podcast, Audiobook, or Radio. You can then search each of these categories using the head unit's touchscreen slider function (categories will be listed in alphabetical order).
- Link Search: The head unit offers Link Search, which allows you to play songs related to the currently playing song. Link Search lets the head unit create an album list of the currently playing artist, a song list of the currently playing album, an artist list of the currently playing genre, or an album list of currently playing composer.
- Song/Artist Info & Album Art: The DNX695S will display your iPod/iPhone's stored music information including Track number, Elapsed playing time, Song/Album title, Artist name, and Album art. The unit will also display song/artist info and album art from select music apps.
- Battery Charging: The head unit's USB connection provides 1.5A of current to power and charge your connected iPod/iPhone when your vehicle's ignition switch is set to the 'ACC' or 'On' position. If your iPod/iPhone has no initial battery charge, then the unit will not recognize it.
Apple Device Compatibility Chart: The Kenwood DNX695S is "Made for iPod/iPhone" compatible and supports the following iPod/iPhone model features (as of 2/19/2019):
|Apple Device||Generation||Tested Version||Media Type||Control Type||Specific Apps||Display Type||Bluetooth||Charge|
|Audio||Video||Head Unit||iPod/iPhone||CarPlay||WebLink||Pandora||Spotify||Album Art||Song/Artist||Track Info||Phone||Audio||Siri|
Notes:Cellular & Data Plan Requirements: Access to CarPlay, Android Auto, and WebLink apps will depend on the availability of a cellular and/or WiFi network for purposes of allowing your iPhone or Android smartphone to connect to the Internet. Your compatible Apple or Android device will need an active Data Plan account with connection to the Internet via 3G, EDGE, LTE (4G), or WiFi.
- Not compatible with 30-pin Apple devices.
- Apple iPod/iPhone software updates may change functionality results. If you download a newer software version, you may need to reset the head unit and your iPod/iPhone to regain functionality. If this doesn't work, you may need to wait until a newer software update is available.
Smartphone Charging: The Kenwood DNX695S will also charge (5V/1.5A) your Android Auto compatible Android smartphone or Apple CarPlay compatible iPhone while connected via USB with the vehicle's ignition switch set to the 'ACC' or 'On' position.
Bluetooth 3.0: The Kenwood DNX695S is equipped with built-in Bluetooth 3.0 allowing you to make and receive phone calls wirelessly through the receiver; as well as stream music wirelessly from your smartphone to the head unit. In order to use Bluetooth wireless technology, your phone must also be Bluetooth compatible and be able to interpret certain profiles. This unit is compatible with the following Bluetooth Profiles:
- Hands-Free Communication: HFP 1.6 (Hands Free Profile), PBAB 1.0 (Phone Book Access Profile)
- Audio Streaming: A2DP 1.3 (Advanced Audio Distribution Profile), AVRCP 1.5 (Audio/Video Remote Control Profile).
Note: Due to the differences in Bluetooth technology, some Bluetooth enabled devices may be incompatible, function improperly, or may not support all features when used with the Kenwood DNX695S. Visit Kenwood's Support Site for a complete list of compatible Bluetooth enabled phones.
Multi-Device Pairing w/ Dual Phone Connection: You can pair up to ten Bluetooth-enabled devices to the Kenwood head unit with a maximum of two Bluetooth phones and one Bluetooth audio player connected at one time, making it easier to switch between devices. Thanks to the Dual Phone Connection feature, two Bluetooth-enabled phones can remain connected to the Kenwood receiver. This means you can an answer an incoming call from either phone from the head unit. Also, both of your phone's contact lists are downloaded to the receiver. To make a call from one of the phones using the Kenwood receiver, you simply have to select Phone 1 or Phone 2 on the head unit's touchscreen.
- Secure Simple Pairing (SSP): With Secure Simple Pairing (SSP), you can easily pair a Bluetooth enabled phone to the Kenwood DNX695S without having to enter pin codes or go through complicated settings.
- Auto Pairing (for iPhone): You can even pair your Apple iPhone (iOS 5.0+) by simply connecting it to the Kenwood head unit via USB and following a single prompt on the head unit's display.
Note: When an already paired Bluetooth device is in close proximity to the receiver, the auto connection function automatically pairs the two units.
Hands-Free Communication: The head unit supports Bluetooth hands-free communication for your Bluetooth enabled smartphone. Thanks to the latest Hands-Free Profile (HFP 1.6) with wideband speech capability, the Kenwood DNX695S provides more natural sound quality and details during wireless calls. The touchscreen controls of the DNX695S can be used to dial a number, answer an in-coming call, or end a call. The unit also includes an external microphone (featuring adjustable gain), so you can carry on your side of the conversation while listening to the caller through your vehicles speakers (All or Front only). During a conversation, you can switch between the Private Mode (talking directly on your phone) and the Hands Free Mode.
- Answering a Call: When a call comes in, a ring-tone will be heard through your vehicle's speaker and the caller's name or phone number will be displayed. You can answer the call from the head unit's touchscreen, or setup the head unit to automatically answer the incoming call immediately (1-30 seconds).
- Dialing a Number: Using the DNX695S, you can dial a
phone number in one of the following ways:
- Entering a Phone Number: Allows you to directly dial a phone number from the head unit's touchscreen keypad.
- Preset Dialing: Allows you to register up to 5 phone numbers for quick dialing. The preset numbers can be accessed from the head unit's touchscreen.
- Phonebook: You can download phonebook data (up to 1000 entries) from your phone to the DNX695S. You can then dial by using the downloaded phone book and search it alphabetically.
- Call History: The Call History is a list of calls that have originated from and were received by this unit that you can dial. You can select Outgoing, Incoming, or Missed calls (up to 50 entries total).
- Voice Dialing: If your smartphone supports voice recognition (including Siri and Google Voice), then you can dial out by voice command. Simply speak into the included microphone.
Note: This unit allows you to answer a call or dial out using any option without engaging the vehicle's parking brake.
Wireless Audio Streaming: The Kenwood DNX695S supports wireless audio playback (AD2P) and control (AVRCP) of a Bluetooth-enabled smartphone or audio player, plus song/artist information display and support for AAC lossless music streaming. You are able to stream your stored music library on your Bluetooth-enabled smartphone, as well as music apps downloaded on your smartphone to the Kenwood DNX695S for playback.
- SBC & AAC Codecs: In addition to support for the standard SBC Bluetooth audio codec, the DNX695S offers support of AAC codecs for higher quality audio streaming from select Apple devices. By supporting AAC, the DNX695S offers better audio performance of the music streamed from your Apple iPod, iPhone, or iPad.
- Advanced Music Playback: In addition to basic playback functions (Play/Pause, FF/RW, Skip, Random/Repeat), the DNX695S lets you browse your stored music by Playlist, Artist, Album, Song, etc. (AVRCP 1.4-up phones only; which includes Android 4.0+ and iPhone 5.0+).
- Song/Artist Information: The head unit will also display your stored music and music app's song information; such as Artist name and Song/Album title (not compatible with all apps).
Note: When an incoming call or outgoing call is in progress from your Bluetooth enabled mobile phone, audio streaming will be paused so you can take your call. Once the call is finished, your streaming music will resume.
External Microphone: The Kenwood DNX695S includes an external microphone to carry on your side of your phone conversation and voice command dialing. The external wired microphone offers improved audio quality versus an integrated microphone, so you can be heard easier over noisy traffic and road noise. You can adjust the volume level, echo cancellation, and noise reduction of the microphone without affecting the other sources. The external microphone features an attached 10' cable terminated by a right-angle 3.5mm connector which plugs into the mic input on the rear-panel of the head unit. The microphone offers an integrated mounting bracket which can be clipped to your vehicle's sun-visor or taped to your dash.
Internet Radio Apps (for iPhone & Android): You can access Pandora & Spotify online music services on your USB or Bluetooth connected iPhone, or Bluetooth connected Android smartphone through the Kenwood DNX695S receiver. You can also access Apple Music Radio through your USB or Bluetooth connected iPhone. Your compatible mobile device will need an active Data Plan account with connection to the Internet via 3G, EDGE, LTE (4G), or WiFi.
- Pandora: The free Pandora App (for Apple iOS 11.0+ or Android OS 4.0+) lets you play music from the Pandora music service through the DNX695S using your USB or Bluetooth connected Apple iPhone, or Bluetooth connected Android smartphone. The Kenwood DNX695S provides control over the Pandora music service and displays Artist, Album, and Song information. You can select Pandora stations from your station list and sort them by date or alphabetically, or shuffle playback stations in your list. New stations can be created based on the current songs or artists playing. You can also select stations from a Genre list. In addition, you can skip song tracks within a station. You can even give songs a thumbs up or thumbs down. An active Pandora account is required.
- Spotify: The DNX695S has the ability to playback & control content from the Spotify music app (for Apple iOS 10.0+ or Android OS 4.0+) on your USB or Bluetooth connected iPhone, or Bluetooth connected Android smartphone. You can play, pause and skip tracks, browse playlists, albums and radio stations through the Kenwood receiver's touchscreen & front-panel controls. You can even create your stations by entering a track, artist, or playlist. You also get song/artist information on the unit's LCD touchscreen. If you are a Spotify Premium user (requires a monthly paid subscription), you can enjoy ad-free, high quality music even when there is no internet connection.
- Apple Music Radio (iPhone Only): You can playback Apple Music Radio on your USB or Bluetooth connected Apple iOS 9.3.5+ device through the Kenwood DNX695S. With a WiFi or cellular connection on your iPhone, you can listen to Beats 1 and other live radio stations through the Kenwood receiver. Apple Music subscribers can also listen to on-demand stations for almost any genre or create their own stations. You can use the head unit's touchscreen to select between your Apple Music Radio stations. The touchscreen will also display song/artist/album information, along with Album art.
Note: Access to these Internet Radio services will depend on the availability of a cellular and/or WiFi network for purposes of allowing your iPhone or Android smartphone to connect to the Internet. Not supported in Canada and only available in the United States.
SiriusXM-Ready: The Kenwood DNX695S is SiriusXM 3.0 Ready and compatible with the SiriusXM Connect Vehicle Tuner (220SXV300, sold separately). The SiriusXM Connect Vehicle Tuner supports SiriusXM programming with access to 140+ SiriusXM channels via subscription; check out the most popular SiriusXM subscription packages here. Additional features of the SiriusXM Connect tuner include:
- Channel List w/ Category Search: A channel list displays a list of all available channels. The Category Search function searches for channels in a certain category.
- Song/Artist Info + Album Art: Displayed Information such as Channel Name, Channel Logo, Artist Name, Song Title, & Album Art can be viewed on the head unit's LCD
- Smart Favorite Presets: Up to 20 SiriusXM Satellite
Radio station presets can be saved. Up to 6 of your SiriusXM presets on the
current band are recognized as Smart Favorites for advanced features such as
TuneStart, TuneScan, & TuneMix.
- TuneStart: TuneStart allows you to choose whether to start a song from the beginning or from its live point when tuning to a Smart Favorite channel.
- TuneScan: TuneScan plays the first 6 seconds of each song that has not been listened to from each of the channels which you have saved as Smart Favorites.
- TuneMix: TuneMix plays a unique blend of songs from your Smart Favorite preset music channels from the current SiriusXM preset band, allowing you to build a custom channel from as few as two to as many as six music channels.
- Instant Replay: You can pause, rewind, and replay up to 60 minutes of current channel. You'll also be able to rewind and replay the last 30 minutes of content from your six Smart Favorite channels.
- Alerts: Receive alerts of your favorite song or artist,
favorite sports teams, plus traffic and weather.
- Content Alerts: When a broadcast program related to the your favorite artist or song starts, a message appears to allow you to switch to that station.
- Sports Flash: Sports Flash will notify you when a big play happens during a game with one your favorite sports teams. You can choose to tune to that station or continue to listening to the previous channel.
- Traffic & Weather Now: Traffic & Weather Now allows you to access the latest report whenever you want to hear it by city.
- Parental Control: Channels containing unsuitable content for children can be blocked.
Note: A separate SiriusXM Satellite Radio subscription is required (operates on the XM Network). However, you can easily add this SiriusXM tuner to an existing Sirius or XM account for a Multi-Radio Discount Plan.
HD Radio: With its built-in HD Radio tuner, you can receive digital AM/FM broadcasts from local stations where available. HD Radio significantly improves AM/FM audio quality and reception, as well as includes information such as artist name and song titles or traffic news, viewable on the receiver's display. HD Radio Technology will deliver high-quality digital sound. AM digital will have FM-like quality in stereo (80dB SNR @ 40-15kHz), while FM digital will have CD-like quality (80 dB SNR @ 20-20kHz) with static free and clear reception. The unit's built-in HD Radio tuner allows analog AM/FM tuning as well.
- Seek Modes + Direct Access Tuning: You can choose one of three seek modes: Auto 1 (seek tuning), Auto 2 (cycles through and tunes the selected band's preset stations only with each button press), or Manual. You can also setup the DNX695S to search only HD Radio stations. In addition, you can directly access an AM/FM station by entering in the frequency number using the unit's LCD touchscreen.
- Tuner Presets: You can store 15 FM presets and 5 AM presets (total of 20). Not only does the navigation receiver's tuner allow you manually enter your desired presets you can choose to have the unit automatically put stations with good reception in the memory banks automatically; this is a handy feature when traveling.
- Station Info/Album Art AM/FM digital stations can offer text and data such as artist names and song titles; as well as Album Art.
- Multicasting & Emergency Alerts: In addition to conventional broadcasts, with HD Radio broadcasting it is possible to choose from up to 8 multicast programs (HD1 to HD8). HD Radio also delivers critical and life-saving messages to the public during emergency situations.
Note: HD Radio is the system for digital AM and FM broadcasting in the U.S. More than 2,000 radio stations are broadcasting their primary signals in digital HD Radio technology, as a free service. Go to HDRadio.com to check for HD Radio stations in your area.
Compatible Discs: The unit has a front-loading disc-slot to make loading your disc easier because there is no panel to slide or fold-down. The Kenwood DNX695S supports playback of DVD-Video, DVD-R/RW, DVD+R/RW, CD-Audio, and CD-R/RW discs. The unit supports a variety of audio & video files recorded onto a CD-R/RW, DVD-R/RW, or DVD+R/RW disc (see chart below).
- Disc Auto Reload: The unit will automatically reinsert a disc if it's ejected, but not removed for 20 seconds or more.
- Parental Control (DVD only): Parental Control allows you to restrict DVD playback according to a predetermined level. You can select a parental control rating from 0-8, which is protected by a 4-digit password.
microSD Card Slot: The navigation receiver is fitted with a microSD card slot on the front-panel. The microSD card slot supports both microSD, microSDHC, and microSDXC memory cards. The unit supports playback of a variety of compressed and high-resolution music files, as well as standard and high-definition video files, plus JPEG still image stored on a compatible microSD/SDHC/SDXC memory card (see chart below).
USB MSC Playback (Dual USB Ports): The Kenwood DNX695S features two rear-panel USB inputs (one is "black" and the other is "grey"). Each rear-panel USB input consists of a USB (type-A) port attached to the rear-chassis by a 7" pigtail and comes with a 39" USB extension cable. These USB ports can be used for connection and control of up to two portable USB mass-storage class (MSC) devices, such as a USB thumbdrive or portable digital music player. The USB ports enable playback of a variety of audio (including Hi-Res), video, and photo files stored on a compatible USB memory device (see chart below). USB portable audio devices that can be charged via USB will be charged when plugged into the navigation receiver's USB ports (5V/1.5A), and the vehicle's ignition switch is set to ACC or On.
- Category Search: You can navigate music stored on your USB memory device by Playlist, Artist, Song, or Album. Once a category is selected, you can search the contents alphabetically.
- Link Search: Link Search allows you to play songs related to the currently playing song. The head unit can create an album list of the currently playing artist, a song list of the currently playing album, an artist list of the currently playing genre, or an album list of currently playing composer.
- Two USB mass storage class devices or USB thumbdrives can be connected at the same time; you can switch back and forth between devices (it does not combine the libraries).
- The USB ports do not support MTP (Media Transfer Protocol), AOA (Android Open Accessory), USB hubs, or card-readers.
- You can connect an Android smartphone with Android Auto and a USB thumbdrive at the same time.
- You can connect an Apple iPod/iPhone to the "black" USB port and a USB thumbdrive to the "grey" USB port at the same time.
File Compatibility: The Kenwood DNX695S supports the following types of audio (including Hi-Res), video, and photo files recorded onto a disc or loaded onto a USB mass storage class device.
|Media Type||Disc (CD-R/RW or DVD-R/RW, DVD+R/RW)||USB (MSC), microSD/SDHC/SDXC|
|File System||ISO9660 Level 1/Level 2, Joliet, Romeo, Long File Name||FAT 16/32, exFAT, NTFS|
|Playable File Types||Audio||MP3/WMA/AAC:
bit rate of 8-320kbps; sampling
frequency of 16-48kHz |
WAV/FLAC: bit depth of 16/24-bit; sampling frequency of 16-48kHz
Vorbis: variable bit-rate; sampling frequency of 16-48kHz
bit rate of 8-320kbps; sampling
frequency of 16-48kHz |
WAV/FLAC (High-Res): bit depth of 16/24-bit; sampling frequency of 16-192kHz
DSD (Hi-Res): bit depth of 1-bit; sampling frequency of 2.8, 5.6, 11.2MHz
Vorbis: variable bit-rate; sampling frequency of 16-48kHz
|Video||MPEG-1: max resolution of 352 x 240 or 352 x 288;
max bit-rate of 1.5Mbps |
MPEG-2: max resolution of 720 x 480 or 720 x 576; max bit-rate of 8Mbps
MPEG-4/H.264: max resolution of 1920 x 1080 (30fps); max bit-rate of 8Mbps
WMV/MKV: max resolution of 1920 x 1080 (30fps); max bit-rate of 8Mbps
|Photo||N/A||JPEG: 32 x 32 to 8192 x 7680|
|Maximum # of Folders/Files||5,000 folders/5,000 files (999 files per folder)||Unlimited folders/9,999 files (999 files per folder)|
|Tags||MP3 ID3-tags, WMA/AAC/FLAC-tags, & Album Art|
High Resolution Audio Playback: The Kenwood navigation receiver supports playback of high-resolution FLAC & WAV music files (up to 24-bit/192kHz), as well as DSD music files (up to 11MHz/1-bit) via USB & microSD/SDHC/SDXC.
Search Functions: The Kenwood DNX695S offers unique search functions for disc, microSD, & USB playback.
- Folder/Track List: The Folder/Track List allows you to search folders and audio/video/picture files stored on a disc, microSD card, or USB device.
- Category Search (USB/microSD only): You can navigate music stored on your USB memory device or microSD memory card by Playlist, Artist, Song, or Album. Once a category is selected, you can search the contents alphabetically.
- Link Search (USB/microSD only): Link Search allows you to play songs related to the currently playing song. The head unit can create an album list of the currently playing artist, a song list of the currently playing album, a artist list of the currently playing genre, or a album list of currently playing composer.
Song/Artist Info with Album Art: The Kenwood DNX695S will display song/artist information as well as album art for MP3, WMA, AAC, and FLAC music tracks (if encoded).
Firmware Updates (via USB): The unit's operating system is updateable via free downloadable software from Kenwood's support site. Firmware downloads assist in maintaining system performance when using external devices and emerging technologies. Firmware/software updates can be downloaded onto a USB thumbdrive from your computer and then inserted into the head unit's USB port and uploaded. Go to Kenwood's Support Site for the latest firmware/software updates.
Excelon Series: The DNX695S navigation receiver is part of Kenwood's Excelon series line-up. It incorporates the latest technologies and delivers the highest sonic performance. From advanced audio tuning capabilities, crossover and equalizer system, high-voltage 5V preouts, plus a two-year warranty - Kenwood Excelon represents exceptional audio quality with long-lasting dependability.
24/32-Bit DAC: The Kenwood DNX695S utilizes a 24/32-bit digital to analog converter for superior sound quality with a Signal to Noise ratio up to 90.5dB.
MOSFET Amplifier: The Kenwood DNX695S is equipped with a MOSFET amplifier. Compared to conventional power supplies, the MOSFET amplification circuit is smaller and more efficient, and it delivers increased power with less distortion and absolutely zero on/off switching noise. More power means louder and cleaner music at higher volumes because you're not pushing the limits of the amplification circuit. The power output specs for the DNX695S are as follows:
- Full Bandwidth Power: 22 watts RMS x 4 channels (at 4 ohms, 20-20kHz, 1% THD)
- Maximum Output Power: 50 watts x 4 channels
Gold-Plated 6ch/5V Pre-Outs + Sub Control: The DNX695S features front, rear and subwoofer 5.0-volt pre-outs. The front and rear speaker pre-outs are balance and fade adjustable. The subwoofer preamp output is non-fading and offers independent level control (-50 to +10 dB). The pre-outs are gold-plated for superior signal transfer.
Vehicle Setup: In order to optimize the sound quality in your vehicle, you can indentify the type of vehicle you have, select speaker sizes & locations, as well as configure listening distances.
- Car Type: Select your car type to automatically set the delay time of each speaker for timing adjustment of sound output of each channel to have the highest surround effect. Choose from Compact, Full Size Car, Wagon, Mini Van, SUV, or Off
- Speaker Size: You can select which size speakers are in your vehicle - Tweeter (Small, Medium, Large, or None), Front & Rear (3.5", 4", 4.75", 5", 6.5", 6.75", 7", 4x6", 5x7", 6x8", 6x9", 7x10" or None), and Sub (6.5", 8", 10", 12", 15" or Over, None).
- Speaker Location: You can indicate the location of your vehicle's front and speakers. Choose from "Upper Door Area", "Lower Door Area", "On Dash", "Under Dash", or "Parcel Shelf Area"
- DTA (Digital Time Alignment): For a better sound-stage you can select your optimal listening position. You can choose from All, Front Left, Front Right or Front. You can also select to manually fine tune the sound stage, using Digital Time Alignment (DTA) by selecting the distance (0-20') for each individual speaker in the vehicle compared to your listening position.
High Pass & Low Pass Crossovers: The receiver offers independent high pass filters for front speakers and rear speakers, as well as a low pass crossover for the unit's sub out.
- Front & Rear: Independently set high pass filter
(HPF) for your front & rear speakers.
- Frequency: 30Hz, 40Hz, 50Hz, 60Hz, 70Hz, 80Hz, 90Hz, 100Hz, 120Hz, 150Hz, 180Hz, 220Hz, 250Hz, Through (Full-Range)
- Slope: -6dB, -12dB, -18dB, -24dB
- Gain: -8 to 0 dB
- Sub: Set low pass filter (LPF) for unit sub output.
- Frequency: 30Hz, 40Hz, 50Hz, 60Hz, 70Hz, 80Hz, 90Hz, 100Hz, 120Hz, 150Hz, 180Hz, 220Hz, 250Hz, Through (Full-Range)
- Slope: -6dB, -12dB, -18dB, -24dB
- Gain: -8 to 0 dB
- Phase: Reverse (180°), Normal (0°)
Equalizer: The Kenwood DNX695S offers 8 EQ Presets for easy adjustment, a 13-band EQ for customized tuning, and a Drive EQ mode to overcome road noise. Separate EQ settings and EQ presets can be stored for each source or you can apply one EQ preset or curve to all sources.
- Preset EQ: The integrated equalizer offers 8 preset sound modes (Flat, Pops, Easy, Top40, Jazz, Powerful, Rock, or User 1-4) suitable for the music genre of your choice.
- 13-Band EQ: The User modes (1-4) allows you to manually adjust the head unit's 13-band EQ (62.5Hz, 100Hz, 160Hz, 250Hz, 400Hz, 630Hz, 1kHz, 1.6kHz, 2.5kHz, 4kHz, 6.3kHz, 10kHz, & 16kHz). Each frequency's gain level can be adjusted from -9dB to +9 dB.
- Drive EQ: The Drive EQ mode helps you hear your music over road noise. It boosts certain frequency ranges that become hard to hear due to road noise.
Music Enhancements: You can restore the sound lost due to audio compression, as well as enhance the sound by virtually manipulating the soundscape.
- Realizer: When MP3, WMA, or AAC files encoded at a low bit rate (less than 96 kbps, 44.1k, 48kHz) are played, the Realizer feature boosts low frequencies which can be lost during compression. Set to Level 1, Level 2, Level 3, or Off.
- Supreme: When MP3, WMA, or AAC files encoded at a low bit rate (less than 96 kbps, 44.1k, 48kHz) are played, the Supreme Setting function restores their high frequencies so the sound quality is closer to files encoded at a high bit rate. The processing is optimized for the compression format and the bit rate used. When the Supreme Setting is Off, the unit plays the original sound stored in the audio file.
- Space Enhancer & Stage EQ: You can set the Space Enhancer to Small, Large, or Off. Each setting value indicates the soundscape level. You can also virtually raise the sound position heard from your speakers; the Stage EQ can be set to High, Middle, Low, or Off.
Volume Level & Bass Management: The navigation receiver offers several volume level adjustments to tailor the audio output of your sources. The DNX695S also provides bass management to get the most impact out of your system.
- Volume Offset: The level of each source may be independently adjusted to prevent radical leaps in output volume when switching from one source to another. The available settings range from -8 to +6.
- Dynamic Range: The dynamic range can be adjusted by selecting either Normal, Wide or Dialog. Dialog makes the total sound volume become larger as compared with Wide and Normal, allowing you to listen to the movie's dialogue more clearly. This is effective only on Dolby Digital software.
- Bass Boost & DC Extension: The DNX695S features a four-step Bass Boost (Off/1/2/3) to enhance your music's lower frequencies. When "Bass DC Extension is turned on, frequencies lower than 6.25 Hz are set the same gain level as the unit's 13-Band EQ 62.5 Hz gain setting.
- Loudness: This function enhances low and high frequencies to make the sound clearer lower volumes.
Source Beep: The in-dash receiver provides an audible beep to confirm source selection. This function can be turned On or Off.
AV Input: The Kenwood DNX695S navigation receiver is fitted with a rear-panel minijack (3.5mm) audio/video input to connect external AV sources, such as a game system, Blu-ray player, or TV tuner.
AV Output (with Dual Zone): The unit features a composite video jack and 3.5mm audio jack to output AV signals to an optional monitor and headphone system. The unit's AV output can be set to Disc, AV-In, USB, microSD, or Off. Volume of the second zone can be controlled by the navigation receiver or your rear entertainment system.
- If you select USB, microSD, iPod, Disc, Spotify, Pandora, or Bluetooth as the main source; you cannot select USB or microSD as the AV output source.
- If you select WebLink (YouTube), CarPlay, or Android Auto as the main source; you cannot select Disc, microSD, or USB as the AV output.
Note: Built-in Garmin navigation, WebLink (YouTube), CarPlay, and Android Auto cannot be displayed through the receiver's video output.
Rear & Front Camera Inputs: The unit features a composite video input for connecting an optional rear view camera, such as the Kenwood CMOS-230 (113CMOS230, sold separately). By connecting a rear view camera, you can use the in-dash receiver's touchscreen LCD to see what's behind you when backing up. There is also a composite video input for connecting a front dash-cam (sold separately), so you can display what's ahead of you on the head unit's touchscreen LCD monitor.
- Parking Guide Lines: When a rear-view camera is connected and you are viewing a rear view image, parking guide lines appear on-screen making parking easy and safer. There are three color-coded horizontal guidelines and two vertical guidelines.
- Rear-View Auto Switching: The video from this connection can be set to display when switched to this input, or display the rear view camera video automatically when the vehicle is shifted into Reverse gear. The purple/white wire of the wiring harness must be connected to the vehicle's reverse lamp circuit for automatic video switching. Automatic video switching takes approximately 0.8 seconds.
Note: The rear view camera feature is meant as a back-up aid only; never solely rely on the rear-view camera when backing-up. In addition to using the rear-view camera, always look behind you to make sure everything is clear when backing up your vehicle.
Dash Cam Ready: In addition to the front camera input, the DNX695S is equipped with a proprietary "Dash Cam" control input for connecting Kenwood's DRV-N520 dashboard camera (113DRV520, sold separately). The DRV-N520 offers high resolution 1080p recording, plus motion detection technology. The dashboard camera's live and recorded video are displayed on the DNX695S' touchscreen. You'll also control the DRV-N520's settings and parameters from the receiver's touchscreen.
OEM Integration: This Kenwood navigation receiver is compatible with the iDatalink Maestro RR (794ADSMRR, sold separately); a web programmable module that will permit the aftermarket Kenwood receiver to work with select Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury vehicles that feature the factory SYNC system; as well as select GM vehicles with factory OnStar; select Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep vehicles with U-Connect, plus select Honda/Acura, Toyota/Scion, Volkswagen & Subaru vehicles with factory digital amplifiers.
- Retained Features: The iDatalink Maestro RR lets Ford/Lincoln/Mercury, GM, Dodge/Chrysler, and VW owners swap out their factory radio for this aftermarket Kenwood head unit; while retaining the Ford Sync system, GM OnStar system, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep U-Connect system, steering wheel controls, Bluetooth, USB interface, Satellite Radio, and 911 assist. You also get to keep the hands-free mic that comes with the car (which is specially tuned to that particular vehicle). *Retained features will vary by vehicle.
- Extra Features: In some installations, the iDatalink Maestro RR lets you configure the head unit to operate interior climate controls and provides extra visual data; such as User Selectable Gauges, Vehicle Info (Tire Pressure/Battery Voltage/Check Engine Codes/Door Ajar Warning), and Visual Park Assist. *Extra features will vary by vehicle.
Note: The iDatalink Maestro RR is web programmable, which means you'll need to flash the iDatalink Maestro RR interface module with the correct firmware from iDatalink's website. In addition to flashing the iDatalink Maestro RR module, you'll also need a vehicle specific harness (sold separately). The Kenwood receiver's OEM Setup menu must also be configured with your compatible vehicle's factory system before initial operation.
6.75" Clear Resistive Touchscreen: The Kenwood DNX695S features a 6.75" widescreen (16:9) clear resistive touchscreen LCD with LED backlighting. The clear resistive touchscreen LCD provides a high contrast ratio, crystal clear display, and vivid text. The LCD touchscreen has a resolution of 800 (H) x 480 (V) x RGB with 1,152,000 total pixels. Touchscreen operations include tap, touch & hold, flick left or right, and swipe up or down. Electronic angle settings adjust the display for best off axis viewing (actual screen does not move).
- Custom Home Screen & Shortcuts: You can customize the head unit's Home Screen by rearranging the icons and moving the icons of the eight most sources you use most to the first page of the Home Screen. Three programmable shortcut source keys offer a quick jump to your favorite sources from almost any screen.
- Background Color & Wallpapers: You can choose between nine preset background colors - Blue, Purple, Sky Blue, Yellow, Green, Amber, Red, Pink, White. You can also choose to link the displays color with the unit's front-panel variable color illumination that you set. In addition, there are six preset background images (wallpapers) or you can download your own still image (800 x 600) for use as the unit's background from a connected USB thumbdrive.
- Off Axis Viewing: Electronic angle settings adjust the display for best off axis viewing (actual screen does not move).
Note: To prevent the display of video while the vehicle is in motion, the light green wire (within harness) must be connected to the vehicle's parking brake detection circuit. You cannot view video unless your vehicle's parking brake is engaged. If you attempt to view video without the parking brake engaged, the unit's LCD touchscreen will simply display a blue screen and "Parking Off". While your vehicle is in motion (parking brake off), you can still view all of the head unit's menu screens/settings, source information, metadata, and album artwork; as well as built-in Garmin Navigation, CarPlay and Android Auto.
Dual Core Processor w/ Faster Start-Up Time: The Kenwood navigation receiver utilizes a Linux based system and dual core processor for faster operating speeds and enhanced stability. The unit has start-up time of approximately 15.7 seconds from OFF to the last source selected or navigation map screen.
Split Screen AV Control: The Split Screen AV Control mode divides the head unit's touchscreen monitor into two screens, with navigation on the left and a source window on the right. With this Picture-in-Picture type function, the head unit can now display the navigation map screen, as well as song/artist information (including album art) and basic playback controls simultaneously. You can also view the backup camera display along with the map screen. You can even display the navigation map screen and DVD or AV-IN video simultaneously with the vehicle's parking brake engaged.
Front-Panel Controls w/ Variable Color Illumination: In addition to the touchscreen controls, the unit includes frequently used buttons along the left edge of the screen. You can adjust the head unit's button illumination, as well as display background color from the following preset colors - Blue, Purple, Sky Blue, Yellow, Green, Amber, Red, Pink, White or Scan (Scans through all preset colors). You can also select a custom "User" color that is adjusted between Red, Green, and Blue (values range: 0-31).
Dimmer: The dimmer function will dim the head unit's display & front-panel illumination automatically when your vehicle's light switch is turned On, if you have the unit's orange/white "Illumination" wire connected to your vehicle's headlamp circuit. You can also choose to dim the display manually. The Kenwood logo and eject button remain the same brightness.
Clock & Date: The navigation receiver offers a 12-hour clock & day/month/year display. The clock is visible from any source or menu screen. With your vehicle's key in the accessory or run position, the head unit will continue to display the LCD background image, clock, and button illumination during "Standby" mode. Pressing and holding the Power/Home button turns the unit off completely.
Remote Control: The Kenwood DNX575S offers compatibility with factory steering wheel controls (adapter sold separately) and is compatible with Kenwood's IR wireless remote control (sold separately) for added convenience. Kenwood also offers a remote application which allows you to control the receiver from your smartphone device.
- Steering Wheel Controls: The head unit features a factory steering wheel remote control input wire (blue/yellow) within the included wiring harness that lets you keep your vehicle's factory radio steering wheel remote controls when used with an optional steering wheel audio control adapter (sold separately).
- Optional Remote Control: The optional Kenwood KNA-RCDV331 IR wireless remote control (113RCDV331, sold separately) unit is designed to operate this Kenwood DVD head unit. The wireless remote controller operates off of two supplied "AAA" batteries. The remote operates off of IR transmission so the KNA-RCDV331 must be pointed at the front-panel of the Kenwood head unit within direct line of sight.
- Remote S App: The Kenwood Remote S (for Apple iOS 9.0+ and Android OS 5.0+) is an application that will connect and control the in-dash receiver from your compatible Apple or Android device via Bluetooth, like a wireless remote control. You can select source input, as well as command basic playback controls such as Play/Pause or Previous/Next Track from the touchscreen of your compatible smartphone. This application can also display the receiver's source and song/artist information on the screen of your compatible Apple iOS or Android device.
Q Crutchfield asked: Why did you buy this?
5 questions already asked