About the Kenwood KAC-M8005
Power your whole system
Power your whole system
Kenwood's KAC-M8005 5-channel amplifier can power your entire sound system, sending out 50 watts RMS each to your four full-range speakers, and up to 500 watts RMS to your sub. Want to run a set of high-performance components plus a subwoofer? You can set the KAC-M8005 to 3-channel mode, driving your components with 150 watts RMS per side while still sending 500 watts to your sub.
Weather-resistant protection for music on the go
Conformal coating protects the internal circuits from water and dirt, so the show will always go on, even through the roughest conditions on road, trail, or waterway. The speaker output terminals feature plastic-covered plugs that provide further protection for those connections.
Tuning where you need it
High-pass filters on the front and rear channels let you tailor the sound to get maximum performance from your speakers. You can adjust the low-pass filter and bass boost on the subwoofer channel to get just the right tone for your bass, while optimizing your sub's performance.
High-level inputs ease installation
The KAC-M8005 will accept an input signal from just about any source, whether you're using RCA cables or speaker wires from your radio. When you use the speaker-level inputs, the amplifier will sense the signal and turn itself on, so you won't need to run a remote turn-on lead to your receiver.
- 5-channel marine amplifier
- 50 watts RMS x 4 + 300 watts x 1 at 4 ohms
- 75 watts RMS x 4 + 500 watts RMS x 1 at 2 ohms
- 150 watts RMS x 2 bridged at 4 ohms + 500 watts RMS x 1 at 2 ohms
- CEA-2006 compliant
- conformal-coated circuit board — suitable for power sports and marine applications
- variable low-pass filter on subwoofer channel (50-200 Hz at 24 dB per octave)
- separate variable high-pass filters on front and rear channels (50-200 Hz at 12 dB/octave)
- variable bass boost on sub channel (0-18 dB at 40 Hz)
- preamp and speaker-level inputs
- fuse rating: 30A x 3
- 4-gauge power and ground leads recommended wiring and hardware not included with amplifier
- 9-1/8"W x 2-3/16"H x 7-3/8"D
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # KAC-M8005
What's in the box:
- 5-Channel marine amplifier
- Three 30A ATO fuses (installed)
- Rubber control cover
- 2.5mm Allen wrench
- 4 Self-tapping screws (M4 x 16mm)
- Instruction Manual
- Warranty Card
More details on the Kenwood KAC-M8005
Features & specs
|RMS Power Output (Watts x Channels)||50 x 4|
|Frequency Response at Rated RMS Power||20-20k Hz|
|THD at Rated RMS Power||1%|
|Signal to Noise Ratio||80 dB|
|Peak Power Output (Watts x Channels)||---|
|Power at 2 Ohms (Watts x Channels)||75 x 4|
|Bridged Power (Watts x Channels)||150 x 2|
|Minimum Impedance Bridged||4|
|Minimum Impedance Unbridged||2|
|Low-Pass Crossover Frequency||50-200 Hz|
|Low-Pass Slope (dB/octave)||24 dB/octave|
|High-Pass Crossover Frequency||50-200 Hz|
|High-Pass Slope (dB/octave)||12 dB/octave|
|Bass Boost||0-18 dB|
|Bass Boost Frequency||40 Hz|
|Speaker Level Inputs||Yes|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
CEA-2006 Compliant: CEA-2006 is a system of testing and measurement methods for mobile audio amplifiers. This voluntary standard advocates a uniform method for determining an amplifier's RMS power output and signal-to-noise ratio. The criteria for measuring power uses a DC input voltage of 14.4 volts and the RMS power output is measured into a 4-ohm load, with 1% or less Total Harmonic Distortion (THD) plus noise, and over a frequency range of 20 Hz to 20 kHz, when applicable. Signal-to-Noise ratio is measured in weighted absolute decibels (dBA) at a reference of 1 watt into 4 ohms. CEA-2006 allows consumers to compare car amplifiers and receivers on an equal basis. Using CEA-2006 criteria, the Kenwood KAC-M8005 is rated at 50 Watts RMS x 4 channels + 300 watts RMS x 1, with an 80 dBA signal-to-noise ratio.
Specifications: The manual also lists these non CEA-2006 compliant specifications:
- Stereo (2Ω) + Sub Power: 75 watts x 4 channel (into 2Ω, at 1 kHz, no more than 1.0% THD) + 500 watts x 1 (into 2Ω, at 100 Hz, 0.5% THD)
- Bridged (4Ω) + Sub Power: 150 x 2 (1 kHz, 1% THD) + 300 watts x 1 (20-200Hz, 0.5% THD)
- Frequency Response: 20Hz - 50kHz (+0, -3dB); 20Hz - 200Hz (Sub)(+0, -3dB)
- Signal to Noise Ratio: 100 dB (at rated power)
Marine: The Kenwood Marine amplifiers have stainless terminals and a conformal coating designed to protect the amp from the harsh marine environment. In addition, the amp comes with rubber covers for the controls and the input terminals. Still, the amplifier should not be installed in direct sunlight, overly hot or dusty places, or locations where there is a possibility of water splashing.
Class D Amplifier Design: The amplifier design is Class D, which uses digital switching power supplies. The result is the amplifier runs more efficiently, generating less heat than Class AB amps. The Class D design also allows the amplifier to be built on a small chassis, and installed where space is limited.
Signal Sensing: The amplifier has a signal-sensing turn-on circuit. When a signal is detected on the inputs, the amplifier will automatically power on. When the signal is no longer detected, the amp will shut off. This allows you to install the amplifier without a remote turn-on lead.
Controls: The KAC-M8005 features independent controls for the front channels (A), rear channels (B), and Sub. The following controls can be found on the end of the amp:
- Input Sensitivity: The Input Sensitivity controls let you match the amplifier to the preamp output level of the source unit. The rotary controls let you adjust the sensitivity between 200mV (0.2V) and 5V, with markings at 0.2V, 0.3V, 0.5V, 1V, 2V, 3V, 4V, and 5V. (The input will also accept a speaker-level input signal between 4V and 12V.)
- Selectable Crossovers: The amp has 2-way switches to let you configure the front and rear channel pairs to high-pass or full range (crossover off). The rotary controls adjust the crossover frequency between 50Hz and 200Hz, with a slope of 12dB per octave. The Sub Channel has a non-defeatable low-pass crossover, variable from 50Hz to 200Hz, with a 24dB per octave slope.
- Bass Boost: The Bass Boost increases the bass signal of the Sub channel, centered at 40Hz. The rotary control lets you adjust the boost between 0dB and 18 dB.
- Input Selector: The Input Selector switch lets you set the input for the sub channel. You can choose "SUB" if there is a dedicated input for the sub channel, or "A/B" if there is no input for the sub channel. In this case, the sub channel will be fed the signal from the rear channels.
- Line In: The KAC-M8005 has three pairs of RCA inputs for connecting the amp to the source unit via RCA cables. The amp will accept a low-level signal between 200mV and 5V. It will also accept a speaker level input between 4V and 12V. For a speaker level input, the source unit's speaker wires will need to be spliced onto RCA plugs, or use a third-party speaker-to-RCA adapter.
- Power/Ground/Remote Turn-on: The amplifier has screw-down terminals for the power, ground, and remote turn-on, and will accommodate spade connectors. The power and ground terminals are 0.55" wide, while the remote turn-on terminal is 0.33" wide.
- Speaker Output: Five pairs of screw terminals are provided for connecting the speakers. The terminals are 0.33" wide, and accommodate spade connectors. The amplifier is designed for a 4Ω load on the A and B channels, but can can handle a load impedance of 2Ω to 8Ω. The A and B channels can be bridged to a 4Ω-8Ω load. The Sub channel is designed for a 2Ω load or higher.
- Fuses: Three 30A ATO fuses are installed in the amplifier. With the 90A fuse rating, a 4-gauge amplifier wiring kit is recommended with a 90A fuse installed within 18" of the battery.
Q Crutchfield asked: Why did you buy this?
4 questions already asked