About the Kenwood KIV-701
Kenwood's KIV-701 digital media receiver offers the functionality and fun of a video receiver, but in a slim size that'll fit in most dashboards. Gone is the CD slot, replaced by a 3" color screen and a user-friendly click-wheel interface. But you'll have plenty of music to play — with an iPod® ready USB input, A/V input, and a built-in flash drive, you'll stay entertained no matter how long the drive.
Groove to PANDORA® Internet radio in the car
Hook up an iPhone® with Kenwood's KCA-IP202 cable and you can hit the road with your favorite PANDORA® stations on tap. You can use the receiver's controls to pause and skip songs, plus give "thumbs up" and "thumbs down" ratings. And you can set the full-color display to show artist, title, and station info with either 3 or 5 lines of text.
You're not limited to online content
Of course, once plug in your iPod with the optional cable, you can browse your songs and playlists, or plug in a thumb drive loaded with files. Turn the control knob quickly, and it automatically switches to 2X search mode, so you can find that song in a snap. And the built-in flash drive provides 512 MB of storage space for audio, video, and picture files, so you'll always have content on tap when you climb into your car.
When you're parked, you can show videos from your iPod, iPhone, or other USB memory devices — you can also video content to a rear screen when you're traveling. The dual-zone controls lets the backseat passengers watch a movie while you listen to a different source up in the front. And speaking of video, hook up a rear-view camera and you'll get a great view of what's behind you on the 3" screen when you shift into reverse.
Sound Excellence by Kenwood
The KIV-701's built-in amplifier puts out plenty of power, and it's supported by Kenwood's Sound Excellence digital signal processing and other sound-shaping tools. After you dial in the tone with the 5-band parametric equalizer, you can set the Digital E's filters to trim some of the lows going to your full-range speakers and adjust the low frequencies going to your sub, so your system plays more efficiently. Digital Time Alignment lets you tailor perfect stereo imaging for the driver's seat.
Want to keep your car's steering wheel audio controls?
In most vehicles, you can use an adapter (not included) to connect your vehicle's steering wheel controls to this Kenwood stereo. Connect a few wires, then program the adapter for your particular car and the Kenwood, and you'll retain the convenience of your steering wheel controls.
This digital media receiver will not play CDs. If you want to play CDs in your vehicle, we offer a wide selection of CD receivers.
Note: If you're going to use your iPod with this receiver, be sure to check "Details" for specific iPod model compatibility with this receiver or its optional iPod adapter.
- digital media receiver with AM/FM tuner (doesn't play CDs)
- built-in MOSFET amplifier (22 watts RMS/50 peak x 4 channels)
- 3-inch color TFT display with variable-color button illumination
- PANDORA® Internet radio connectivity
- internal 512MB flash drive
- remote control
- plays MP3/WMA/AAC files on USB memory devices
- plays movie and picture files on USB memory devices
- Sound Excellence DSP: sound management, digital time alignment, low- and high-pass crossovers, Highway Sound
- 5-band parametric equalizer with 8 presets
- Supreme + technology to improve high-frequency response of compressed music files
- dual-zone audio capabilities
- iPod direct control with KCA-IP202 cable
- Zune control and charging
- compatible with Kenwood's Bluetooth adapter, satellite radio, and HD Radio tuner
- inputs: rear USB and A/V inputs, rear-view camera input
- outputs: A/V output, 6-channel preamp outputs (4-volt front, rear, subwoofer)
Other features and specs:
- compatible with most factory steering wheel audio controls (adapter required)
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # KIV-701
What's in the box:
- Digital media receiver (with 10-amp fuse inserted into the chassis)
- Sleeve (attached)
- Trim ring (attached)
- Wiring harness
- RC-405 Wireless remote (with installed CR2025 3V lithium-cell battery)
- 6.5' Parking-brake wire (light-green)
- 16.5' reverse gear wire (purple/white)
- 2 Removal tools
- 4 Panhead ISO-mount screws
- 4 Flathead ISO-mount screws
- Quick Start Guide (Eng/Fre/Spa)
- Warranty Card (US/Canada)
More details on the Kenwood KIV-701
Features & specs
|Backup Camera Input||Yes|
|Second Camera Input||No|
|Alexa Voice Control|
|Android Control||USB MSC protocol|
|Memory Card Slot||Built-in flash/USB/Zune|
|Satellite Radio Ready||Sirius|
|RMS Power (CTA-2006)||N/A|
|RMS Power (Manufacturer)||---|
|Peak Output||50 watts|
|RMS Power Bandwidth||20-20kHz|
|Sub Preamp Outputs||Yes|
|Switchable Rear Preamp Outputs||No|
|Navigation App Compatible (iOS)|
|Navigation App Compatible (Android)|
|Preamp Voltage||4 volts|
|Key Button Color||Variable|
|Steering Wheel Control Compatible||Adapter required|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
|FM Sensitivity||9.3 dBf|
|Radio Data System||Yes|
|Music File Playback||MP3, WMA, AAC|
Overview: The Kenwood KIV-701 Digital Media Receiver is equipped with a built-in AM/FM tuner, rear-panel USB port, and rear-panel auxiliary input. The KIV-701 offers both iPod & Zune playback control. The KIV-701 is also HD and Satellite Radio ready (optional tuner required). In addition, the unit supports Bluetooth communication for hands-free operation of your mobile cell-phone (via optional Bluetooth module). The digital media receiver comes with an IR wireless remote control and offers steering wheel control compatibility (with optional adapter). The unit's amplifier is rated at 22 watts x 4 channel RMS (50 watts x 4 channel peak) and is equipped with 3 sets of 4.0-volt preamp outputs.
Note: The Kenwood KIV-701 Digital Media Receiver does not feature a CD mechanism.
LCD Display: The Kenwood KIV-701 digital media receiver features an integrated 3.0" LCD wide-screen (16:9) monitor with a resolution of 76,800 (320 x 240 x RGB) and LED backlighting. The integrated LCD monitor allows display of song information, album artwork, picture files, and video files. The LCD monitor offers adjustable brightness & contrast (+/-3), as well as adjustable Aspect Ratio (16:9 or 4:3). The KIV-701 provides the following display modes.
- Artwork: Display song information, along with album artwork (only for iPod/USB/Zune/Internal Memory).
- Video: Displays video of a video file (iPod/USB/Internal Memory)
- Information: Displays source information (Tuner/Satellite Radio/HD Radio/CD-changer)
- Clock: Display the time and date.
Variable Color Illumination: The Kenwood KIV-701 features variable color display and button illumination. You can choose from one of 24 preset colors, have the unit scan through all 24 preset colors continuously, or customize your own color (1-24; 0-9). The display and button illumination can be set to the same color or set independently.
Illumination Effects: The Kenwood KIV-701 offers two unique key-button illumination effects.
- Illumination Operation Sync: This function sets whether the head unit's key illumination color is changed in conjunction with the key-button operation.
- Illumination Music Sync: This function set whether the head unit's key illumination color is changed in conjunction with the system's sound & volume level.
Multi-Language Support: The Kenwood KIV-701 offers English, French, and Spanish menu text.
Text/Title Scroll: The KIV-701 will display Audio file and Radio text. You can turn the scrolling feature "on" to scroll longer titles across the screen.
Wallpaper Downloading: You can use a downloaded picture from your USB connected device for the head unit's display.
Parking Brake Detection: To prevent the displaying of video while the vehicle is in motion, the light green wire attached to the chassis must be connected to the vehicle's parking brake detection circuit. While the vehicle is in motion (parking brake off), you can still view all of the other displays and menus.
Display Illumination/Clock Display: When the unit is in Standby mode, the face/button illumination is "keyed." In addition, while the unit is in Standby mode, you can turn the clock display on or off. When the Clock Display is turned on and the unit is in Standby mode, the Clock Display is also "keyed." Pressing and holding the source button turns the unit off completely.
Dimmer: The dimmer function will dim this unit's display and button illumination automatically when the vehicle light switch is turned On when you connect orange/white Illumination wire of this player. You can also choose to dim the display manually.
Display Off: This function turns off the display when have not performed an operation for 5 seconds. This is effective for when you are driving at night.
Demo Mode: This unit features a Demo mode which can be turned On or Off.
24 Bit D/A Converter: The Kenwood KIV-701 utilizes a 24-bit digital to analog converter for superior sound quality (up to 110 dB Signal-to-Noise Ratio and 93 Dynamic Range).
MOSFET Amplifier: The Kenwood KIV-701 is equipped with a MOSFET amplifier. Compared to conventional power supplies, the MOSFET amplification circuit is smaller and more efficient, and it delivers increased power with less distortion and absolutely zero on/off switching noise. More power means louder and cleaner music at higher volumes because you're not pushing the limits of the amplification circuit. The power output specs for the KIV-701 are as follows:
- Full Bandwidth Power: 22 watts RMS x 4 channels (at 4 ohms, 20-20kHz, 1% THD)
- Maximum Output Power: 50 watts x 4 channels
6ch/4V Preamp Outputs: The KIV-701 features front, rear and subwoofer 4-volt preamp outputs. The front and rear speaker preamp outputs are balance and fade adjustable. The subwoofer preamp output is non-fading. The front, rear, and subwoofer preamp outputs are fixed to the rear chassis of the head unit. The subwoofer preamp output features an independent level control (-15 to +15).
Note: You can turn the KIV-701's built-in amplifier off to improve the quality of the sound from the head unit's preamp outputs.
Supreme+ Setting: When MP3, WMA or AAC files encoded at a low bit rate (less than 96 kbps, 44.1k, 48kHz) are played, the Supreme+ Setting function restores their high frequencies so the sound quality is closer to files encoded at a high bit rate. The processing is optimized for the compression format and the bit rate used. When the Supreme+ Setting is Off, the unit plays the original sound stored in the audio file.
DSP: In order to optimize the sound quality, you can use the head unit's integrated DSP to set the type of vehicle and speaker sizes, locations, distances and x-over points. The DSP settings include the following:
- Cabin Setting: Choose from Compact, Full Size Car, Wagon, Mini Van, SUV, Mini Van (Long), or Off
- Speaker Setting: The speaker X'over is automatically
set when the position and size of each speaker are select from the following
- Front: Location (Door, On Dash, or Under Dash); Size: (6-1/2", 6-3/4", 7", 4"x6", 5"x7", 6"x8", 6"x9", 7"x10", OEM, 4", or 5"); Tweeter (None or Use)
- Rear: Location (Door, Rear Deck, 2nd Row or 3rd Row; Size (6-1/2", 6-3/4", 7", 4"x6", 5"x7", 6"x8", 6"x9", 7"x10", OEM, 4", or 5")
- Subwoofer: Size(10", 12", 15", None, 6-1/2" or 8")
- Digital Time Alignment (DTA): Choose from 0.00 to 14.44 feet for the Front pair of speakers, Rear pair of speakers, and Subwoofer distances in reference to the distance between your listening positioning and the locations of the particular speakers.
- X'Over: The Kenwood head unit provides
independent high-pass crossovers for the unit's front and rear
speaker/preamp outputs, as well as a subwoofer low-pass crossover.
- Front High Pass Filter: select a frequency of 30, 40, 50, 60, 70, 80, 90, 100, 120, 150, 180, 220, or 250Hz; with a Slope of -6, -12, -18, - 24 dB per octave; or you can also select full-range
- Rear High Pass Filter: select a frequency of 30, 40, 50, 60, 70, 80, 90, 100, 120, 150, 180, 220, or 250Hz; with a Slope of -6, -12, -18, - 24 dB per octave; or you can also select full-range
- Subwoofer Low Pass Filter: select a frequency of 30, 40, 50, 60, 70, 80, 90, 100, 120, 150, 180, 220, or 250Hz; with a Slope of -6, -12, -18, - 24 dB per octave; or you can also select full-range; The Subwoofer Phase can also be adjusted to Normal (0°) or Reverse (180°)
Note: The DSP function can be bypassed.
Equalizer Control: Equalizer Control allows you to choose from 8 presets, or set your own custom settings using the 5-band Equalizer. The EQ adjustments are as follows:
- Preset EQ: You can select from Natural, Rock, Pops, Easy, Top 40, Jazz, Game, iPod (you can select from 22 EQ curve types), or User.
- 5-Band EQ: The User mode allows you to adjust the
following 5-Band EQ (62.5Hz, 250Hz, 1kHz, 4kHz, 16kHz) from -9 to +9dB.
Note: You can store equalizer settings for each source (Tuner, USB, iPod/iPhone, Aux, or Sat/HD radio).
Position Control: For a better sound-stage you can select your optimal listening position. You can choose from All, Front Left, Front Right or Front. You can also select to manually fine tune the sound stage by selecting the distance for each individual speaker in the vehicle compared to your listening position. You can select between 0.00 to 5.58 feet for the Left Front Speaker, Right Front Speaker, Left Rear Speaker, Right Rear Speaker, Left Subwoofer and/or Right Subwoofer.
Audio Preset: You can register six audio settings into the unit's preset memory to be recalled at any time. The Audio Preset memory can save Car Type Selection, Speaker Setting, Fine Adjustment, X'Over Setting, Equalizer, and/or Listening Position.
Bass Boost: The Kenwood KIV-701 features a two level Bass Boost to increase bass levels.
Highway Sound: This features compensates the low volume or bass sound being lost by road noises to make vocals sound clearer. You can set the Highway Sound function to 1, 2, 3, or off.
Volume Offset: The level of each source may be independently adjusted to prevent radical leaps in output volume when switching from one source to another. The available settings range from -8 to +8.
Dual Zone: Separate sources can be selected for the Front channels and Rear channels. Zone 2 can be set to USB (iPod/Zune), Internal Memory, Auxiliary, or Off. You can adjust the volume of the rear channels independently from the front channels (0-35).
Note: USB, iPod, and Internal Memory cannot be set at the same time for the main and sub sources.
Tel Mute: The KIV-701 features a cell-phone mute wire (tan) in its harness that when hooked up to your car's phone system mute wire will automatically mute the receiver's audio signal when a call comes in.
Key Beep: The in-dash head unit provides an audible beep to confirm button operation. This function can be turned On or Off.
AM/FM Tuner: The Kenwood KIV-701 features a built-in AM/FM tuner. You can choose one of three tuning modes: Auto 1 (seek tuning), Auto 2 (cycles through and tunes the selected band's preset stations only with each button press), or Manual.
Tuner Presets: The KIV701's tuner provides two ways to store your favorite radio stations.
- Normal Presets: You can store up to 18 FM presets (01-18) and 6 AM presets (01-06).
- Mixed Presets: In this mode, different bands and turner sources can be saved in the same preset layer, which allows you to recall the desired stations without switching the bands or tuner sources. You can store a mixture of 6 AM/FM, HD Radio, and Satellite Radio presets of any combination.
Note: This unit does not offer direct preset buttons. Instead, you will need to access the unit's presets using the Control Knob.
Auto Memory Tuning: Not only does the digital media receiver's tuner allow you manually enter your desired presets you can choose to have the unit automatically put stations with good reception in the memory banks automatically; this is a handy feature when traveling.
Direct Access Tuning: You can directly access an AM/FM station by entering in the frequency number using the include wireless remote control.
Mono Mode: This feature reduces the noise (static) when a stereo broadcast is received as monaural (for FM band only).
Radio Data System (RDS): The unit's tuner features RDS (Radio Data System). RDS is a service used by some radio stations to transmit data outside of normal radio broadcast signals. When an RDS station is received, you can immediately find out what kind of data is being transmitted by looking at the program service name which appears in the display after the frequency. RDS features an emergency transmission function which interrupts regular programming to broadcast an emergency announcement (such as a tornado or severe storm). There is also a switchable Traffic Information function, which will automatically tune a traffic bulletin when it is broadcast, even when you're not listening to the radio.
iTunes Tagging: The built-in RDS FM tuner is also capable of iTunes tagging. iTunes tagging gives you the ability to tag a song (up to 50) and stores it to a connected iPod. The next time your iPod is connected to iTunes, the tagged songs are displayed with the option to purchase them from the iTunes Store.
Satellite Radio Ready: There are several options for connecting an optional SIRIUS Satellite Radio receiver to this receiver:
- SIRIUS Satellite Radio: To receive SIRIUS Satellite
Radio, you can connect the optional SIRIUS Universal Vehicle Tuner and the
optional Kenwood Sirius Satellite Radio Interface (package #
700SIRKENW, sold separately); or you can connect the optional Kenwood
Sirius Satellite Radio Interface and the SiriusConnect vehicle docking kit
700SIRPKEN, sold separately), along with your compatible SIRIUS Dock &
Note: A subscription is also required to receive satellite radio programming.
HD Radio Ready (with iTunes Tagging): With an optional Kenwood HD Radio tuner (113HR300, sold separately), you will be able to receive digital AM/FM broadcasts from local stations where available. This new technology will significantly improve audio quality and reception, as well as include information such as artist name and song titles or traffic news, viewable on the receiver's display. Right now there are about 2,000 radio stations broadcasting using digital HD Radio technology in the U.S. To find HD Radio stations in your area, visit the HD Radio website (HDRadio.com). The Kenwood KTC-HR300 HD Radio tuner (113HR300) is also capable of iTunes tagging. iTunes tagging gives you the ability to tag a song (up to 50) and stores it to a connected iPod. The next time your iPod is connected to iTunes, the tagged songs are displayed with the option to purchase them from the iTunes Store.
Note: You cannot connect both a Satellite Radio Interface and HD Radio tuner to the head unit.
Internal Memory: Audio files, video files, and still-images files can be stored to KIV-701's built-in flash memory (512MB) from a connected USB device. This way you can playback your favorite music, movie, and picture files without having to connect your external USB device. The unit's internal memory can support up to 500 files.
USB Port: The Kenwood KIV-701 features a rear-panel 2.0 USB type-A port on a 39" pigtail. The USB port enables connection and control of a portable USB mass-storage class device with audio, video, and still-image files. The USB port is compatible with all USB mass storage class devices that support the FAT16 or FAT32 file system. Your USB device should only have a maximum of 8 directory levels, 500 folders, and 4096 files per folder with a maximum of 15000 files and folders. You connected USB device will also charge while connected. Supported audio/video files.
- Music Files: The KIV-701 supports playback of AAC (16-320 kbps), MP3 (8-320 kbps), and WMA (48-192 kbps) music files; as well a WAV (16-bit) audio files.
- Movie Files: The digital media receiver supports playback of H.264/MPEG4 AVC, MPEG-4, and WMV files with a resolution of 160 x 120 to 320 x 240 (QVGA).
- Picture Files: The KIV-701 digital media receiver supports playback of JPEG and BMP still-image files.
Note: The Kenwood KIV-701 will support connection of a Multi-Card Reader or a USB hub with up to 3 ports.
USB/Internal Memory Control: The Kenwood KIV-701 digital media receiver provides a 6-line folder/file name list to scroll through to find your music. The KIV-701 offers several other playback and search functions to help you locate and listen to your music.
- Search Modes: The KIV-701 offers various search
functions to find your iPod's music or movie content in the selected
- Skip Search: You can search your USB device or the unit's internal memory within a selected folder by using a percentage search (0.5%, 1%, 5%, or 10%). This allows you to skip ahead a certain percentage of songs in a particular folder.
- Direct Search: You can search your music directly by entering the file number from a selected folder.
- Play Modes: The KIV-701 digital media receiver provides
the following Play Modes for your connected USB device or the head unit's
internal flash memory.
- File Scan: This function plays back the first 10-seconds of each music file in a particular folder successively.
- Random: You can randomly playback music in a selected folder or from your USB device's or internal memory's entire music library.
- Repeat: You can play back a single music file repeatedly or playback an entire music folder repeatedly.
Note: Your connected USB device's controls will be locked during connection.
Zune Playback: The Kenwood KIV-701 supports the Microsoft Zune via its rear USB port. The KIV-701 provides audio playback, control, song information display, album art, and charging for your connected Zune player. The Kenwood digital media receiver provides various playback and search functions to listen to your Zune player's music content.
- Search Modes: Kenwood KIV-701 offers the following
convenient search modes to help you select from your Zune's music.
- Browse: You can browse your Zune player's music content by Genre, Artist, Album, Song, or Playlist.
- Skip Search: You can search your Zune's music content within a specific category by using a percentage search (0.5%, 1%, 5%, or 10%). This allows you to skip ahead a certain percentage of songs in a particular category or folder.
- Play Modes: The KIV-701 digital media receiver provides the
following Play Modes to control your Zune.
- File Scan: This function plays back the first 10-seconds of each music file in a particular folder successively.
- Random: You can randomly playback music in a selected folder.
- Repeat: You can play back a single music file repeatedly.
Note: Your Microsoft Zune's controls will be locked during connection to the Kenwood KIV-701 digital media receiver. The KIV-701 supports Audio only playback. It will not output your Zune player's video or still-images.
iPod/iPhone AV Connection: The KIV-701's USB port and the rear-panel 3.5mm A/V AUX input are compatible with select iPod/iPhone devices when used with the Kenwood USB/iPod AV cable (KCA-iP202, sold separately). The USB Direct Connection enables high-speed iPod data communications of 12MB/bps via the 2-Wire interface cable. One end of the cable plugs directly into your iPod/iPhone's dock connector while the other end of the cable uses two connectors that plug into the back of the KIV-701. The USB type-A connector portion of the cable plugs into the receiver's USB port and handles the control and charging of your iPod/iPhone, so you can navigate through your music and video files using the head unit's controls and view song, album art, and movie information on its display. The A/V 3.5mm miniplug connector of the cable plugs into the unit's rear-panel A/V 3.5mm input and transfers the music and video from your iPod to the Kenwood digital media receiver. By using the Auxiliary input the music travels to the receiver as an analog signal, so you can even play the Digital-Rights-Protected files you've stored on your iPod/iPhone.
Note: The Kenwood KIV-701 is not compatible with the standard USB-to-iPod dock cable. The Kenwood KCA-iP202 USB/iPod AV cable is required.
iPod/iPhone Control: You can choose to control the iPod/iPhone from the head unit or from your iPod/iPhone's clickwheel or touchscreen.
- Browse Mode: The Kenwood KIV-701 will allow you to browse your
iPod's music and videos by category.
- Music Categories: You can browse your iPod/iPhone's music by Playlist, Artist, Album, Song, Podcast, Genre, Composer, or Audiobook.
- Video Categories: You can browse your iPod/iPhone's videos by Playlist, Movie, Music Video, TV Show, Video Podcast, and Rental.
- Search Modes: The KIV-701 offers various search functions to find
your iPod/iPhone's music or movie content in the selected category.
- Alphabet Search: This function searches music and videos whose name contain the specified character (A-Z), within a specific category.
- Direct Search: You can quickly search for a desired song or video within a category by entering in 3 characters of text (A-Z, 0-9).
- Related Search: Related Search allows you to browse for music
of the same artist or genre as the one being currently played within a
selected category (Music only).
- Search Artist: displays albums of the same artist
- Search Album: display music in the album in which the one being played is included
- Search Genre: displays artists of the same genre
- Search Composter: displays albums including music created by the same composer
- Skip Search: You can search your iPod/iPhone's content within a category by using a percentage search (0.5%, 1%, 5%, or 10%). This allows you to skip ahead a certain percentage of songs in a particular category or folder.
- Play Modes: The KIV-701 digital media receiver provides the
following Play Modes (Playlist, Random, Repeat) to control your iPod/iPhone.
- Playlist: You can create your own custom iPod playlist (up to 30 songs) from the head unit.
- Random: You can randomly playback music in a selected folder or from your iPod's entire music library.
- Repeat: You can play back a single music file repeatedly.
- iPod by Hand Mode: You can also choose to operate your iPod or iPhone with its own click-wheel or touchscreen; instead of using the KIV-701's controls.
- Sound Check: This function sets the sound volume of all your iPod/iPhone's songs to the same level. The sound volume adjustment is required using iTunes.
iPod/iPhone Display: The KIV-701 will display your iPod/iPhone's music file information when you are controlling your iPod or iPhone from the Kenwood head unit. The head unit will display Track number, Elapsed playing time, Artist name, Song title, and Album label. If you choose to operate your connected iPod/iPhone via its clickwheel or touchscreen controls, the KIV-701 will not display your iPod/iPhone's music information (the head unit will instead display iPod MODE).
Pandora App: The Pandora App (free) lets you play music from the Pandora music service through the Kenwood KIV-701 using your connected Apple iPhone, via the Kenwood KCA-iP202 USB/iPod connector cable (sold separately). The Kenwood KIV-701 provides control over the Pandora music service and displays Artist, Album, and Song information. You can search for new Pandora stations, select Pandora stations from your station list, and skip song tracks within a station. You can also give songs a thumbs up/down and bookmark songs/artists. To access Pandora you must have an Apple iPhone (iOS3 or later) with the latest version of the Pandora application from Apple's iTunes App Store. Your iPhone will need an active Data Plan account with connection to the Internet via 3G, EDGE, or WiFi. You will also need a Pandora music service account.
Note: Access to the Pandora service will depend on the availability of a cellular and/or WiFi network for purposes of allowing your iPhone to connect to the Internet. Pandora is not supported in Canada and only available in the United States.
iPod/iPhone Charging: While connected and the ignition switch is set to ACC or ON, the head unit's USB connection will power and charge your iPod/iPhone.
Note: If your iPod/iPhone has no initial battery charge, then the unit will not recognize it.
iPod Compatibility Chart: The Kenwood KIV-701 and the KCA-iP202 USB/iPod AV cable are "Made for iPod/iPhone" compatible and support the following iPod/iPhone model features (as of 2/22/2013):
|iPod/iPhone Model||Generation||Tested Version||Media Type||Control Type||Display Type||iTunes Tagging||Pandora App||Charge|
|Audio||Video||hHad unit||iPod/iPhone||Song/Artist Text||Track Info|
Note: Apple iPod/iPhone software updates may change functionality results. If you download a newer software version, you may need to reset the head unit and your iPod/iPhone to regain functionality. If this doesn't work, you may need to wait until a newer software update is available.
AUX Input: The KIV-701 is equipped with a rear-panel 3.5mm minijack auxiliary input for connecting external portable audio devices such as an MP3 player. The KIV-701 allows you to select the source type displayed when using the auxiliary input. You can choose from AUX, DVD, Portable, Game, Video or TV.
Audio/Video Input: The Kenwood KIV-701 is equipped with a 3.5mm video input and 3.5mm stereo audio input for connecting and external portable audio source, or to connect the included iPod adapter cable to plug-in your iPod or iPhone.
Audio/Video Output: The Kenwood digital media receiver is equipped with a composite video output and a stereo RCA audio output for connecting an external monitor with headphones, so you can view video from your connected iPod/iPhone or USB device on a rear-mounted monitor.
Camera Input: The unit features a composite video input for connecting an optional rear view camera, such as the Kenwood CMOS-200 (113CMOS200, sold separately). The video from this connection can be set to display when switched to this input, or display the rear view camera video automatically when the vehicle is shifted into Reverse gear. The purple/white wire (attached to the rear chassis) must be connected to the vehicle's reverse lamp circuit for automatic video switching. You can view rear view image in Normal or Mirror mode.
2nd Auxiliary Input "Ready": The unit already features a rear-panel auxiliary input, but if you need a second auxiliary input, one can be added to the rear of the unit. When used with an optional adapter, this unit can accept a rear input from an auxiliary source. When the CA-C1AUX adapter (113CAC1AX, sold separately) is used, you cannot connect an optional Sirius Satellite Radio/HD tuner or CD-changer to the head unit because the adapter plugs into the DIN changer control connection on the head unit.
Changer Controls: The Kenwood KIV-701 offers connection and control of Kenwood's 10-disc CD-changer (113KDCC719, no longer available).
Bluetooth Ready: The unit is Bluetooth compatible using the optional Kenwood KCA-BT300 Bluetooth adapter (113BT300, no longer available).
Wireless Remote Control: The KIV-701 comes with the RC-405 IR wireless remote control with a full numeric keypad (0-9). The remote will control Audio, Tuner, USB, Bluetooth, iPod, Zune, Satellite Radio, and HD Radio functions. The remote control allows direct access of your music tracks and discs loaded in a connected CD-changer (sold separately), as well as direct access to AM/FM radio stations. The digital media receiver features an Attenuator button on the supplied remote control that turns the volume down very quickly with one touch of the button. It is powered by a single CR2025 3V lithium-cell battery (supplied).
Steering Wheel Remote Compatibility: The head unit features an OEM steering wheel remote control input wire (blue/yellow) within the included wiring harness that lets you keep your vehicle's factory radio steering wheel remote controls when used with an optional steering wheel audio control adapter (sold separately). Please consult Crutchfield's Outfit My Car to see if your vehicle is compatible.
Music Editor Compatible: The Kenwood KIV-701 supports the PC application, Kenwood Music Editor Lite (ver.1.1). Kenwood Music Editor Lite is a Windows-based desktop software that helps organize, manage and transfer MP3 and WMA music files to your USB devices from your PC. When you playback audio files that have been stored on your USB device using Kenwood Music Editor Lite through this unit, you can search a file by title, album, or artist name using the head unit's Music Search function.
System Requirements: The Kenwood Music Editor Light (ver.1.1) Windows-based software can be downloaded for free from Kenwood.com
- Windows XP Professional, Home Edition SP2 or later (32-bit)
- Windows Vista (32/64-bit)
- Windows 7 (32/64-bit)
The Kenwood KIV-701 replaces these items
1 question already asked