About the PAC SWI-JACK
Installation Note: Some newer vehicles require a special interface for this installation. Click here or call an Advisor at 1-888-955-6000 to see if you need an interface to install this steering wheel control adapter in your vehicle.
You want to install a brand-name stereo in your vehicle, but you hate to give up the convenience of your factory steering wheel radio controls? No problem. The SWI-JACK interface from PAC allows you to use the steering wheel controls in a wide variety of vehicles to command select brand-name radios.
Installation is straightforward connect a few wires, then program the adapter for your particular car and your stereo, and you'll retain the convenience of your steering wheel controls. The direct connection to the stereo eliminates the need for an infrared emitter, allowing the interface to function even in bright sunlight. Step-by-step LED confirmation makes programming easy. Once connected, the SWI-JACK's failsafe memory will learn up to 12 stereo functions, retaining them even if battery power is interrupted. Dimensions: 3-5/8"W x 1"H x 1-9/16"D. Warranty: 1 year.
Important Note: On some vehicles, you may need a voltmeter to locate the correct wires to connect to the SWI-JACK. If you have no car audio installation experience, you should consider professional installation. The SWI-JACK works with most Alpine, Clarion, JVC, and Kenwood stereos that have a wired remote control input port or a dedicated steering wheel input, but please call or email us to confirm compatibility with your radio.
Wiring Advisory: You'll usually have to tap into one to three wires in your vehicle at the radio location to connect this interface. If you're using a PAC OEM integration adapter to connect your new car stereo to your vehicle, then it most likely will have a prewired connector for this PAC steering wheel audio control adapter. In these cases, no additional wiring in required. PAC does provide custom wiring instructions for all confirmed compatible vehicles on their website.
What's in the box:
- Steering wheel radio control interface with attached 10" blue/yellow wire and 34" cable (with 3.5mm miniplug)
- 24" Wiring harness
- Packet of 8 resistors (includes 47 ohms/100 ohms/150 ohms/560 ohms/1000 ohms/1500 ohms/3900 ohms/5100 ohms)
- Installation Instructions
- Vehicle Application Guide
- Vehicle Connector Chart
- On-line vehicle specific instructions note
More details on the PAC SWI-JACK
Product Overview: The PAC SWI-JACK interface allows you to retain the use of your steering wheel and/or rear seat radio controls when replacing the factory head unit in select vehicles with an Alpine, JVC, Kenwood, or Clarion head unit with wired remote capability. In some GM vehicles, you can retain the use of heater control buttons as well.
Wiring Advisory: You'll usually have to hardwire this adapter into your vehicle's wiring. In most vehicles, the factory radio plug does not have a wire dedicated to the steering wheel audio controls, so splicing is often required. PAC does provide custom wiring instructions for all confirmed compatible vehicles on their website.
Vehicle Compatibility: The SWI-JACK is compatible with over 95% of the vehicles made from 1986 to the present. Compatible vehicles include many Acura, Audi, BMW, Buick, Cadillac, Chevrolet, Chrysler, Dodge, Ford, GMC, Harley Davidson, Honda, Hummer, Hyundai, Infiniti, Isuzu, Jaguar, Jeep, Kia, Land Rover, Lexus, Lincoln, Mazda, Mercury, Mini, Mitsubishi, Nissan, Oldsmobile, Plymouth, Pontiac, Saab, Saturn, Scion, Suzuki, Toyota, and Volkswagen vehicles. Please consult "Outfit My Car" to see if your vehicle is compatible.
Known Incompatible Vehicles: The following list includes the vehicles that are known to not be compatible:
- All with factory-activated cellular phones
- All with 5-volt SWC data wire at the steering column
- Toyota: 1998-2003 Sienna vans
- Volvo: All Volvo models
Head Unit Compatibility: The SWI-JACK works with Alpine, Clarion, and JVC radios with the 1/8" steering wheel input jack, and Kenwood radios with the blue/yellow remote input wire. It is also compatible with Blaupunkt radios having the input for an optional wireless remote, but the adapter plug necessary to interface with the Blaupunkt is not included.
Easily Programmable: The SWI-JACK can be easily programmed. You can assign the buttons on the steering wheel to any of these specific functions:
- Alpine: Volume Up, Volume Down, Mute, Preset Up, Preset Down, Source, Track Up, Track Down, Power, Ent/Play and Band/Program
- JVC: Volume Up, Volume Down, Mute/Power, Preset Up, Source, Seek Up, Seek Down, Select, and Band
- Kenwood: Volume Up, Volume Down, Mute, Source, Seek Up, Track Up, Track Down, Disc Up/FM, and Disc Down/AM
- Clarion: Volume Up, Volume Down, Mute, Track Up, Track Down, Band, and Source
- Blaupunkt: Volume Up, Volume Down, Mute, Source, Track Up, Track Down, Disc Up, Disc Down, and OK
Note: The SWI-JACK has a non-volatile memory which keeps all programming in memory, even if the vehicle's battery is disconnected.
Resistor Kit: Some vehicles have a separate wire for each of the steering wheel buttons. Use the resistor kit for steering wheel push buttons that do not already have a resistor network connected to them. The resistor kit includes the following resistors:
- 47 Ohms (yellow, purple, black, and gold bands)
- 100 Ohms (brown, black, brown, and gold bands)
- 150 Ohms (brown, green, brown, and gold bands)
- 560 Ohms (green, blue, brown, and gold bands)
- 1000 Ohms (brown, black, red, and gold bands)
- 1500 Ohms (brown, green, red, and gold bands)
- 3900 Ohms (orange, white, red, and gold bands)
- 5100 Ohms (green, brown, red, and gold bands)