About the Pioneer MVH-300EX
The big touchscreen experience
The big touchscreen experience
Nothing quite recreates that "new car" experience like adding a 7" touchscreen receiver to your dash. With Pioneer's MVH-300EX touchscreen receiver, you'll gain a vibrant display and 112 different colors to match the radio's illumination to your vehicle's interior lighting for a factory feel. Management of music sources gets easier with a touchscreen too. Plus, album art with song and performer data makes music selection simpler (and more fun). You'll also have a plentiful video display if you want to add a backup cam. And on top of it all, you can count on Bluetooth® hands-free calling and wireless audio streaming in this Pioneer stereo.
Gotta have Bluetooth
Resist the temptation to pick up your smartphone while you're in the car. Bluetooth lets you enjoy hands-free calling, plus you can access the music on your smartphone. Choose from tracks in your digital library or stream audio like podcasts, all without messing around with aux inputs and cables. You can also control everything from the MVH-300EX.
Pick your source
Take advantage of all your input options. Dust off that old media player and plug it into the AUX input. Connect your iPhone® or Android via the USB input — Pioneer gives you control from the MVH-300EX over iPhones and compatible Android devices, even displaying metadata such as track, artist, and album name when it's available. While the car is parked and the parking brake is engaged, you can view video from an outboard video player or that's stored on a USB drive. You can also send the video to rear seat screens (sold separately) so your passengers will have something to watch while you drive.
Dial in the perfect sound
Pioneer gives you all the tools you need to craft the perfect sound for your vehicle. Your music already gets a boost from the receiver's high-performance digital-to-analog converter and a powerful amplifier, but its 13-band equalizer lets you bring out the best in any genre of music. If you want to bring even more punch to your system, you can connect an amp or powered sub to the three sets of preamp outputs. Tweak to your heart's delight with time alignment, high- and low-pass filters, and subwoofer control.
Add a backup cam
Take advantage of that generous 7" video screen and add an optional rear-view camera — a great solution if you have a big SUV or any vehicle with complicated sightlines.
Want to keep your car's steering wheel audio controls?
In most cars, you'll need an adapter to retain those controls with this car stereo. Connect a few wires, then program the adapter for your particular car and radio, and you'll retain the convenience of your steering wheel controls. You'll see the adapters that work with your vehicle when you add this receiver to your cart.
Bluetooth note: Use of this receiver's Bluetooth features will depend upon your phone's Bluetooth capabilities. Learn more in our article explaining Bluetooth profiles.
- digital multimedia receiver
- 7" touchscreen display with variable color illumination
- built-in Bluetooth for hands-free calling and audio streaming
- fits double-DIN dash openings
- built-in iPod, iPhone, and iPad control via USB
- built-in Android music control via USB
- video playback from an external source or USB drive
- high- and low-pass filters
- 13-band graphic equalizer
- time alignment (CD-MC20 mic required)
- inputs: rear aux input, rear USB input, rear-view camera input
- outputs: video output, 6-channel preamp outputs (2-volt front, rear, sub)
- compatible with most factory steering wheel audio controls (adapter required)
- built-in MOSFET amplifier (14 watts RMS CTA-2006/50 peak x 4 channels)
- CTA-2006 compliant
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # MVH-300EX
What's in the box:
- Digital receiver w/ fixed 6.94" touchscreen monitor (10A fuse inserted in chassis)
- Wiring harness
- 58" USB extension cable
- Microphone w/ mounting-bracket (attached 13' cable terminated by a right-angle 2.5mm connector)
- Two-sided tape
- 6 Pan-head ISO screws (M5 x 6mm)
- 6 Flat-head ISO screws (M5 x 6mm)
- Quick Start Guide
- Installation Manual
- Warranty Information
More details on the Pioneer MVH-300EX
Features & specs
|AUX Input||Mini (rear)|
|Audio/video Input||Mini (rear)|
|Backup Camera Input||Yes|
|Second Camera Input||No|
|Memory Card Slot||USB memory|
|Satellite Radio Ready||No|
|RMS Power (CTA-2006)||14 watts|
|RMS Power (Manufacturer)||22 watts|
|Peak Output||50 watts|
|RMS Power Bandwidth||20-20kHz|
|Sub Preamp Outputs||Yes|
|Switchable Rear Preamp Outputs||No|
|Preamp Voltage||2 volts|
|Key Button Color||Variable|
|Steering Wheel Control Compatible||Adapter required|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
|FM Sensitivity||12 dBf|
|Radio Data System||Yes|
Clear Resistive Touchscreen: The MVH-300EX features a 6.94" clear resistive LCD touchscreen with a display resolution of 800 x 480 (RGB), for a total of 1,152,000 pixels. The clear resistive touchscreen is designed to enhance the visibility of on-screen graphics and images, making them appear clear and crisp. The LCD touchscreen allows you to control this unit and a connected component, such as an iPod/iPhone, a USB mass storage class device, or Bluetooth source. Menus appear on screen for making function choices, audio adjustments, and setting up the system.
- Favorite Menu: You can register the desired menu items on the MVH-300EX's "Favorites" menu screen. Registering your favorite menu items allows you to quickly jump to the registered menu item by a simple touch on the favorites menu. Up to 12 menu items can be registered as a "Favorite".
- Background (Wallpaper): You can select between a variety of preset background (wallpaper) images for the Menu screen and AV operation screen. You can also adjust the color of the on-screen display; choose between red, amber, green, blue or white.
- Picture Adjustments: You can store numerous video settings for the head unit's video sources and rearview camera; including brightness (adjusts the black intensity), contrast (adjusts contrast) color (adjusts color saturation), hue (adjust color tone), and Dimmer (adjusts brightness).
- Widescreen Modes: You can choose from the following widescreen modes when playing back video - Full (4:3 picture is enlarged in the horizontal direction only; enabling you to enjoy a 4:3 picture without any omissions), Zoom (4:3 picture is enlarged in the same proportion both vertically and horizontally; ideal for a 16:9 screen), Normal (4:3 picture is displayed as it is), and Trimming (image is displayed across the entire screen with horizontal-to-vertical ratio left as is).
Front-Panel Control w/ Custom Illumination: In addition to the touchscreen controls, the unit includes frequently used buttons along the bottom edge of the screen. The color of the button illumination can be set to red, amber, green, blue, white, or rainbow (constantly cycling through the color spectrum). You can also create a custom color to match your vehicle's interior lighting (112 colors to choose from).
Dimmer: To prevent the touchscreen display and button illumination from being too bright at night, the illumination is automatically dimmed when the car's headlights are turned on. The automatic dimmer function only works when the orange/white illumination wire in the wiring harness is connected to the vehicle's headlight circuit. You can also turn on or off the dimmer manually. You can even set a timer for the dimmer to turn on or off.
Parking Brake Interlock: This unit has a parking brake interlock system that prohibits viewing of video programming and operating certain controls when the vehicle is in motion. In order to watch video on the in-dash monitor, the vehicle must be stopped with the parking brake engaged. The head unit's light green wire must be connected to your vehicle's parking brake detection circuit. The head unit's touchscreen will display "Attention! Viewing of front seat video source while driving is strictly prohibited", if you try to watch a video when your vehicle is in motion.
Steering Wheel Control Input: The head unit features an OEM steering wheel remote control input on the rear of the unit that lets you keep your vehicle's factory radio steering wheel remote controls when used with an optional steering wheel audio control adapter (sold separately).
Bluetooth 3.0: The MVH-300EX is equipped with built-in Bluetooth 3.0, allowing you to make and receive phone calls wirelessly through the receiver; as well as stream music wirelessly from your smartphone to the head unit. In order to use Bluetooth wireless technology, your phone must also be Bluetooth compatible and be able to interpret certain profiles. This unit is compatible with the following Bluetooth Profiles:
- Hands-Free Communication: HFP 1.6 (Hands Free Profile), PBAB 1.0 (Phone Book Access Profile).
- Audio Streaming: A2DP 1.3 (Advanced Audio Distribution Profile), AVRCP 1.6 (Audio/Video Remote Control Profile).
Note: Due to the differences in Bluetooth technology, some Bluetooth enabled devices may be incompatible, function improperly, or may not support all features when used with the Pioneer MVH-300EX.
Multi-Device Pairing Dual Phone Connection: Up to 3 Bluetooth-compatible devices (2 phones/1 audio player) can be paired to this head unit. You are even able to keep two Bluetooth-enabled smartphones connected at the same time, so you can switch between phones from the head unit's touchscreen, without having to connect or re-connect devices.
- SPP (Secure Simple Pairing): With Secure Simple Pairing (SSP), you can easily pair a Bluetooth enabled phone to the MVH-300EX without having to enter pin codes or go through complicated settings.
- Auto Re-Connection: Once an already paired Bluetooth device is in close proximity to the receiver, the auto connection function automatically links the head unit and device together. If two Bluetooth devices were connected the last time, the two devices are connected to this unit automatically in the order that they are registered in the device list.
Hands-Free Communication (w/ External Mic): The Pioneer MVH-300EX supports wireless hands-free communication for your Bluetooth enabled mobile phone. Thanks to the latest Hands-Free Profile (HFP 1.6) with wideband speech capability, the MVH-300EX provides more natural sound quality and details during wireless calls. The MVH-300EX allows you to carry on a phone conversation from your Bluetooth enabled mobile phone using the head unit's external microphone and your car audio speakers. During a conversation you can adjust the volume, as well as switch between the Private Mode (talking directly on your cell phone) and the Hands Free Mode.
- Answering A Call: During an incoming phone call, the head unit will display the caller's information and an audible ring tone will be heard through your vehicle's speakers. You can manually answer an incoming call or have the unit automatically answer the call.
- Making A Call: The MVH-300EX offers a variety of ways
to make call using the in-dash receiver.
- Direct Dialing: You can make a call by entering the phone number using the head unit's touchscreen keypad.
- Preset Dialing: You can store up to six phone numbers as presets for quicker dialing.
- Phone Book: The phone book (up to 1,000 contacts) in your Bluetooth enabled mobile phone will be transferred automatically when the phone is paired to this unit. After finding the number you want to call in the phone book from the head unit, you can select the entry and make the call. If a lot of numbers are registered in the phone book, you can search for a phone number by the contact person's name alphabetically.
- Call Log: The 80 most recent calls dialed, received, and missed are stored in memory. You can browse them and call numbers from these lists.
Note: Advanced phone operations that require attention, such as dialing numbers on the touchscreen monitor or adjusting Bluetooth settings, are prohibited while driving. The vehicle's parking brake must be engaged to access these functions.
Wireless Audio Streaming: The Pioneer MVH-300EX also supports wireless audio playback (AD2P) and control (AVRCP) of a Bluetooth enabled audio player or smartphone. The head unit can stream music stored on your Bluetooth enabled device or music apps you have downloaded on your device. When an incoming call or outgoing call is in progress from your Bluetooth enabled mobile phone, audio streaming will be paused so you can take your call.
- Advanced Music Navigation: In addition to basic playback functions (Play/Pause, FF/RW, Skip, Random/Repeat), the MVH-300EX lets you browse your stored music by Playlist, Artist, Album, Song, etc.. (AVRCP 1.4 phones only; which includes Android 4.0+ and iPhone 5.0+).
- Song/Artist Info: The head unit will also display your stored music's and music app's song information; such as Artist name and Song/Album title (app must also support).
Android MTP Playback: The Pioneer MVH-300EX supports MTP for playback & control of stored MP3/WMA/AAC music files on your Android (OS 4.0+) device through the Pioneer receiver's rear-panel USB port. In this mode, you get basic playback control (like Play/Pause & Previous/Next Track), plus song/artist/album information on the receiver's LCD touchscreen. During MTP connection, you cannot use your Android smartphone's touchscreen to control music playback and you cannot select music apps from your smartphone for playback. However, you can continue to listen to stored music on your Android smartphone through the head unit while you check your Calendar, Facebook, Texts, etc on your phone.
iPod Direct Connect: The Pioneer MVH-300EX's rear-panel USB port can be used to connect your Lightning Apple device or 30-pin iPhone 4S to the head unit. You'll need a Lightning-to-USB cable to connect your Apple device with Lightning connector, or a 30-pin to USB cable to connect your iPhone 4S. The USB connection allows for audio playback, music navigation, information display (including album art), and charging of your compatible iPhone or iPod.
- Audio Control: From the head unit's touchscreen, you can search your iPod/iPhone's audio content by Playlist, Artist, Album, Song, Podcast, Genre, Composer, or Audiobook. You can also select Random & Repeat functions for a certain song or specific folder. You'll still be able to control your iPod or iPhone from the device's touchscreen too.
- Song/Artist/Album Info: In addition, the head unit will display your iPod/iPhone's stored music information including Elapsed playing time, Artist name, Song & Album title, as well as Album Art.
Note: If there are 10,000 songs or more on your iPod/iPhone, it will require almost one hour to fully populate the song list.
Smartphone Charging: The head unit's USB connection provides 5V/1A of current to power and charge your connected iPod/iPhone or Android device when your vehicle's ignition switch is set to the 'ACC' or 'On' position. If your mobile device has no initial battery charge, then the unit will not recognize it.
Apple Device Compatibility Chart: The Pioneer MVH-300EX supports the following iPod/iPhone model functions (as of 3/1/2018):
|Apple Device||Generation||Tested Version||Media Type||Control Type||Display Type||Bluetooth||Charge|
|Audio||Video||Head Unit||iPod/iPhone||Song/Artist Text||Track Info||Album Art||Phone||Audio|
Note: Apple iPod/iPhone software updates may change functionality results. If you download a newer software version, you may need to reset the head unit and your iPod/iPhone to regain functionality. If this doesn't work, you may need to wait until a newer software update is available.
Apple Music Radio: You can playback Apple Music Radio on your USB-connected Apple iOS device through the Pioneer MVH-300EX. With a WiFi or cellular connection, you can listen to Beats 1 and other live radio stations. Apple Music subscribers can also listen to on-demand stations for every genre or create their own stations. You can use the head unit's touchscreen to select between your Apple Music Radio stations, playback songs similar to the current song, stop playback of the current song, and add the current song to your iTunes wish list. Apple Music Radio playback is compatible with the following Apple iOS devices -
- iPhone: X, 8+/8, 7+/7, 6S+/6S/6+/6, 5S/5C/5, SE, & 4S - running iOS 9.3.5 or newer
- iPod: touch (6th, 5th generation) - running at iOS 9.3.5 or newer
Note: Your Apple iOS device will need an active Data Plan account with connection to the Internet via 3G, EDGE, LTE (4G), or WiFi.
Supertuner IIID AM/FM Tuner: The Supertuner IIID AM/FM tuner features Feed Forward Control, which avoids multi-path interference. This pre-detection of interference enables quick filter control and results in less distortion. In addition, the Supertuner IIID creates enhanced stereo during multi-path interference, unlike conventional tuners that collapse to mono. Digital processing reduces distortion, and improves Signal-to-Noise Ratio and stereo separation. Advanced analog technology improves signal processing sensitivity.
- RDS: The Radio Data System (RDS) feature displays radio broadcast information such as artist, title, and album when listening to compatible AM/FM stations.
- BSM (Best Stations Memory): BSM lets you automatically store the six strongest stations under preset buttons 1-6 of the currently tuned band. The tuner has 3 FM banks and 1 AM bank. You can store 6 presets for each bank giving you a total of 18 FM presets and 6 AM presets.
- Local Tuning: Local seek tuning lets you tune in only those radio stations with sufficiently strong signals for good reception. There are 4 level of sensitivity for FM and two levels for AM. The higher settings allow reception of only the strongest stations, while lower settings let you receive progressively weaker stations.
USB Mass Storage Class Device Compatible: The unit's rear-panel USB (type-A) port and 58" USB extension cable allows you to connect a USB Mass Storage Class (MSC) device; such as a USB thumbdrive or portable digital audio player. The USB port enables playback & control of music, video, and photo files stored on your portable USB MSC device through the Pioneer MVH-300EX. USB devices that can be charged via USB will be charged when plugged into the digital media receiver's USB port (5V/1A) and the vehicle's ignition switch is set to ACC or On.
- File/Track Name List: The Name List feature displays a list of music, movie, and photo files loaded onto a connected USB device, so you can easily access your content.
- Song/Artist/Album Info: The head unit will display your USB device's stored music information - including Elapsed playing time, Artist name, Song & Album title, as well as Album Art.
Note: The head unit's USB port does not support USB hubs or USB card-readers.
Compatible Media Files: The Pioneer MVH-300EX supports the following types of audio, video, and photo files loaded onto an inserted USB device.
|Media Type||USB (MSC/MTP)|
|File System||FAT 16/32|
|Playable File Types||Audio||MP3: 8-320kbps
bit rate; 16-48kHz sampling rates |
WMA: 8-192kbps bit rate; 8-48kHz sampling rates
AAC: 8-320kbps bit rate; 11.025-96kHz sampling rates
WAV: 8/16-bit depth; 16-48kHz sampling rates (not supported by MTP)
720 x 576 max resolution |
AVI: 720 x 576 max resolution
DivX: 720 x 576 max resolution
*Note: Video not supported by MTP
resolution of 8192 x 7680 (not supported by MTP) |
BMP: max resolution of 1920 x 936 (not supported by MTP)
|Maximum # of Folders/Files||300 folders/15,000 files|
|Tags||ID3 tags (ver. 1.0,/1.1/2.2/2.3/2.4), WMA-tags, AAC-tags, & Album Art (USB only)|
Note: Videos and Photos can only be viewed when the vehicle's parking brake is engaged.
AV Input: The head unit has a rear-panel 3.5mm minijack AV input for connecting an external audio/video device. Your vehicle's parking brake must be engaged to view video on the receiver's touchscreen.
Rearview Camera: The MVH-300EX is equipped with a composite video rearview camera input for the addition of an optional backup camera (130NDBC8, sold separately).
- Auto View: The unit features a function that automatically switches to the rear camera image. When the vehicle's transmission is put in reverse, the screen automatically switches to the rear view camera (violet/white wire of the harness must be connected to the vehicle's reverse lamp circuit for automatic video switching). Automatic video switching takes approximately 1.2 seconds.
- Camera View: There is also a Camera View mode which allows you to manually bring up the rearview camera image on the receiver's touchscreen monitor to check what is behind you while driving. You can leave the Camera View mode on if you want to see the rearview image at all times; for instance when towing a trailer.
Video Output: A single RCA composite video-output jack allows you to an add external monitor, such as rear headrest or overhead monitor (sold separately). The video output can display a USB or AV-input video signal when its selected as the receiver's source, regardless if the vehicle's parking brake is engaged or not.
24-Bit/96kHz DAC: For superb quality audio playback from USB & Bluetooth, the Pioneer MVH-300EX is equipped with a 24-bit/96kHz digital-to-analog converter.
MOSFET50 Internal Amplifier: The Pioneer MVH-300EX is equipped with a MOSFET amplifier. Compared to conventional power supplies, the MOSFET amplification circuit is smaller and more efficient, and it delivers increased power with less distortion and absolutely zero on/off switching noise. More power means louder and cleaner music at higher volumes because you're not pushing the limits of the amplification circuit.
- CTA-2006 Specs: 14 watts RMS x 4 channels (at 4 ohms, 20Hz-20kHz, 1% THD-N)
- Continuous Power Output: 22 watts RMS x 4 channels (at 4 ohms, 50Hz-15kHz, 5% THD)
- Maximum Power Output: 50 watts x 4 channels (or 50 watts x 2 channels at 4 ohms + 70 watts x 1 channel at 2 ohms for subwoofer)
Note: The power specifications for the MVH-300EX are compliant with the CTA-2006 Mobile Amplifier Power Testing and Measurement standards from the Consumer Technology Association (CTA). These standards were developed as a way to equitably compare power specs from model to model and between manufacturers.
2V/6CH Preamp Outputs + Sub Control: The Pioneer MVH-300EX features three pair of 2.0-volt preamp outputs (Front/Rear/Subwoofer). The unit's front and rear preamp output can be faded (front/rear), while the subwoofer preamp output is non-fading. The Pioneer MVH-300EX lets you adjust the subwoofer preamp output's phase (normal/reverse) and volume (+10 to -24).
Crossovers: The MVH-300EX employs high pass and low pass crossovers to tailor the head unit to your connected speakers.
- HPF: The head unit features a HPF (High Pass Filter) for its front & rear speaker-level or preamp outputs. The HPF's crossover slope can be set to -6, -12, -18, or -24 dB/octave. The HPF's crossover frequency can be set to 25, 31.5, 40, 50, 63, 80, 100, 125, 160, 200, or 250 Hz.
- LPF: The head unit features a LPF (Low Pass Filter) for its subwoofer preamp output. The LPF's crossover slope can be set to -6, -12, -18, -24, -30, or -36 dB/octave. The LPF's crossover frequency can be set to 25, 31.5, 40, 50, 63, 80, 100, 125, 160, 200, or 250 Hz.
EEQ (Easy EQ) w/ 13-Band Graphic EQ: There are seven stored equalizer curves which you can easily recall at any time. You can choose from - Powerful, Natural, Vocal, Super Bass, Flat, Custom 1, or Custom 2. The Custom 1 and Custom 2 EQ modes allow you to manually adjust the level (+/- 12dB) of each band of the head unit's 13-band graphic equalizer (50, 80, 125, 200, 315, 500, 800, 1.25k, 2k, 3.15k, 5k, 8k, and 12.5k Hz).
Audio Settings: The head unit provides further sound adjustments for your car audio system.
- Listening Position & Time Alignment: For a better sound-stage you can select your optimal listening position. You can choose from All, Front Left, Front Right, or Front. You can also select to manually fine tune the sound stage, using Digital Time Alignment (DTA) by selecting the distance (0-140") for each individual speaker in the vehicle compared to your listening position.
- Speaker Level: You can adjust each speaker and sub channel independently from +10 to -24 to best even out the sound in your vehicle.
- Bass Boost: You can easily boost the subwoofer bass level by using the Bass Boost function. The Bass Boost feature allows you increase the subwoofer level from 0 to +12 dB.
- Loudness: The Loudness function compensates for deficiencies in the low- and high-frequency ranges at low volume. You can set the Loudness to High, Mid, Low, or Off.
- Source Level Adjustment (SLA): This function lets you adjust the volume level of each source to prevent radical changes in volume when switching between sources. Settings are based on the unit's FM volume level, which remains unchanged. Each source can be independently adjusted from -4 dB to +4 dB.
Rear Speaker Setup The rear speaker outputs can be set to provide full range output with full fading capability, or they can be set to provide non-fading subwoofer (low-pass) output. When the rear speaker outputs are set to subwoofer mode, the rear preamp outputs also switch from full range to subwoofer outputs. When set for subwoofer operation, you can connect the rear speaker leads directly to two small 4-ohm passive subwoofers or a dual voice coil sub with 4-ohm voice coils. If you prefer to use a single 2-ohm subwoofer, you can connect the woofer to one set of speaker leads, leaving the other set of rear leads disconnected. The maximum output provided when a 2-ohm load is connected to one set of leads is 70 watts.
Key Beep: The in-dash head unit provides an audible beep to confirm button operation. The beep tone can be turned on or off.
Q Crutchfield asked: Why did you buy this?
12 questions already asked