About the Pioneer AVIC-6201NEX Package
Guidance, phone friendliness, and a rear-view camera
Guidance, phone friendliness, and a rear-view camera
Pioneer gives you yet another reason to take a second look at their NEX lineup — this AVIC-6201NEX package includes the AVIC-6200NEX navigation receiver and Pioneer's ND-BC8 backup camera. You'll have access to top-notch GPS guidance with traffic reports, Bluetooth connectivity, an HD Radio™ tuner, and plenty of sonic enhancements, while the included camera shows you what's happening behind your vehicle on the receiver's 6.2" screen. The receiver boasts Apple CarPlay™ compatibility to please iPhone® users, and it gives Android™ fans plenty of reasons to celebrate, too.
Apple CarPlay brings your apps to your dash
Apple CarPlay compatibility allows a Lightning™-to-USB connection to provide access to select apps on newer iPhones. Once connected, the receiver shows large icons for functions such as Maps, Phone, Messages, Music, Now Playing, and Podcasts. Several streaming apps — including Pandora® — work within the CarPlay interface as well. Drivers can access these functions by touch or through Siri® voice control. Learn more at www.apple.com/ios/carplay.
A 6.2" touch display offers plenty of real estate
You'll see everything you need at a glance on Pioneer's info-rich NEX interface, and the intuitive layout makes choosing musical sources a breeze. When you're properly connected, your smartphone's travel-friendly apps will find a good home on the display. It even offers a "Power Off" mode in the source menu for those times when you want a completely dark screen. The receiver's HDMI input means iPhone and Android users both get Pioneer's AppRadio mode for in-dash command of several important apps, and that your phone can more easily be used as an audio or video source.
Included backup camera
Pioneer includes an ND-BC8 rear-view camera with the AVIC-6201NEX package, so you can add safety to your travels right out of the box. You can also connect up to two cameras, so you can see more of what's near your vehicle when getting in and out of tight spots. Need to pull up your rear-view camera in a hurry? A dedicated icon in the source menu gives you instant access.
Roam freely with reliable directions and traffic reports
A lost driver is an unhappy driver, so count on the AVIC-6200NEX receiver's GPS technology to guide you practically anywhere in the U.S., Canada, and Puerto Rico. You can search for stopping points along your route among the 8 million included points of interest, or mark your own favorite spots for future reference. Built-in live traffic updates alert you to potential delays caused by congestion along your route. For a better look at the map, you can choose the level of map zoom manually. Spoken street names at turns and lane guidance keep you on track, while speed limit warnings help you stay safe.
Bluetooth® for hands-free streaming and communication
Wireless Bluetooth connectivity keeps you in contact with others from the road with hands-free calling. The included external microphone gives your conversations plenty of clarity when you're talking through your compatible phone. And the receiver will work with most phones for wireless streaming audio, thanks to its advanced Hands-Free Profile technology. You'll also get smartphone app control through your devices.
Siri® Eyes Free
In addition, you can use your smartphone voice commands via Siri Eyes Free when the receiver's paired with your phone. You can perform any number of tasks such as making phone calls, hearing and composing texts, getting directions, choosing songs and playlists, and adding reminders with your voice.
The built-in 13-band graphic equalizer, Auto EQ, and Time Alignment let you shape the sonic output to suit your tastes. Use the high- and low-pass crossover's adjustable points and slopes for further adjustments, and engage the Advanced Sound Retriever to fill in the missing "gaps" in your compressed music files to restore clarity. This Pioneer's also compatible with high-resolution lossless FLAC files, so you can play your music from a thumb drive with maximum fidelity.
See the video sights
You can check out video from DVDs or other sources on the 6.2" display when you're parked. You can also tap into video content on your iPod or smartphone with the help of the correct cable (not included). When you're on the road, you can play movies through a rear-seat monitor for your passengers, so they can stay entertained. Dual-zone capability lets you enjoy the radio or another audio source up front while your passengers watch their favorite movies with headphones in the back.
Ready for SiriusXM satellite radio
The AVIC-6200NEX radio features a connection for an optional satellite radio tuner, so you can enjoy SiriusXM's extensive programming with your subscription. You can listen to your chosen channels no matter where you roam, and take advantage of special features such as alerts when your favorite songs or sports teams are on the air.
Built-in HD Radio tuner
If you're in an area with HD Radio broadcasts, the Pioneer's built-in tuner can pick them up. You'll hear improved fidelity and reception from participating AM/FM stations all over.
Want to keep your car's steering wheel audio controls?
In most cars, you'll need an adapter to retain those controls with this car stereo. Connect a few wires, then program the adapter for your particular car and radio, and you'll retain the convenience of your steering wheel controls. You'll see the adapters that work with your vehicle when you add this receiver to your cart.
iDatalink Maestro lets you keep your factory extras
The AVIC-6200NEX receiver offers compatibility you won't find in many other aftermarket radios, thanks to the iDatalink Maestro module (not included). The module lets you keep factory features in your Chrysler, Ford, GM, Toyota, Fiat, or VW vehicle that you'd otherwise lose when you install a new radio. You'll also be able to check out expanded functionality on the Pioneer's screen, including gauges, climate controls, a distance sensor, and tire pressure and temperature monitors.
If you currently use AppRadio Mode, Pioneer has found that it won't work with iOS 11. They're working on an update, so you may want to keep iOS 10 until that fix is available.
Bluetooth note: Use of this receiver's Bluetooth features will depend upon your phone's Bluetooth capabilities. Learn more in our article explaining Bluetooth profiles.
iPod/smartphone note: If you're going to use your iPod or smartphone with this receiver, be sure to check "Details" for compatibility information.
- DVD/CD receiver with 6.2" touchscreen and AM/FM tuner
- Pioneer ND-BC8 backup camera
- 129° horizontal and 105° vertical viewing angles
- mounting hardware and 30-foot power/video cable included
- internal amp (14 watts RMS CEA-2006/50 watts peak x 4 channels)
- built-in Bluetooth for hands-free calling and audio streaming
- built-in HD Radio tuner
- plays lossless FLAC audio files (up to 192kHz/24-bit) from your flash drive
- remote control
- fits double-DIN (4" tall) dash openings
- Apple CarPlay compatible
- AppRadio Mode for easy access to apps on the touchscreen
- built-in iPod, iPhone, and iPad control (see Details for model compatibility)
- Siri Eyes Free control with iPhone 4s and newer
- Pandora control through iPhone and Android
- maps of United States, Canada, and Puerto Rico, plus 7.9 million points of interest
- free traffic updates in major metropolitan areas
- text-to-speech announces actual street names at turns
- lane guidance
- speed limit warnings
- manual map zoom
- plays CDs, DVDs, and USB drives (see Details for full capabilities)
- 13-band graphic EQ with Easy EQ preset equalizer
- Auto EQ with Time Alignment (optional CD-MC20 mic required)
- low- and high-pass filters with adjustable crossover points
- Advanced Sound Retriever enhances compressed digital files
- Pioneer MIXTRAX technology creates nonstop mixes and adds effects to digital tracks
- dual-zone A/V output
- works with SiriusXM SXV300 tuner — supports Tune Mix, Traffic & Weather Now, and Sports Flash features
- inputs: HDMI input; dual rear USB inputs; 2 rear A/V inputs; two camera inputs
- outputs: 6-channel preamp outputs (4-volt front, rear, subwoofer); composite video output
- CEA-2006 compliant
- compatible with most factory steering wheel audio controls (adapter required)
- compatible with iDatalink Maestro module
- retains select factory features in your Chrysler, Ford, GM, Toyota, Fiat, or VW vehicle
- displays engine performance and other vehicle data on touchscreen
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # AVIC-6201NEX
What's in the box:
- Pioneer AVIC-6200NEX:
- Navigation receiver w/ integrated 6.1" touchscreen monitor (10A fuse)
- Wiring harness
- Remote control (CD-R33)
- CR2025 3V lithium battery (installed in remote)
- GPS antenna (attached 11.5' cable)
- Self-adhesive square
- 58" USB-A extension cable
- Microphone w/ visor-bracket (attached 13' cable terminated by a right-angle 2.5mm connector)
- 6.5' Stereo minijack extension cable
- Two-sided tape
- 6 Pan-head ISO screws (M5 x 6mm)
- 6 Flat-head ISO screws (M5 x 6mm)
- Owner's Manual on CD-ROM
- Quick Start Guide
- Installation Manual
- Important Information for the User
- Warranty Information
- Notice to customer with Apple CarPlay-compatible devices
- Online Product Registration
- Important Notice concerning AVICSYNC Support
- Notes on Using a USB Type-C Phone
- Pioneer ND-BC8:
- Rear-view camera w/ bracket (attached 9' power/video cable)
- 23' Backup camera harness
- 6 Self-adhesive clamps
- Rubber wedge
- Owner's Manual
More details on the Pioneer AVIC-6201NEX Package
Features & specs
|AUX Input||Mini (rear),RCA (rear)|
|Audio/video Input||HDMI (rear), Mini (rear), RCA (rear)|
|USB Input||Rear (2)|
|Backup Camera Input||Yes|
|Second Camera Input||Yes|
|Alexa Voice Control|
|Memory Card Slot||USB|
|Satellite Radio Ready||SiriusXM 3.0|
|RMS Power (CTA-2006)||14 watts|
|RMS Power (Manufacturer)||22 watts|
|Peak Output||50 watts|
|RMS Power Bandwidth||20-20kHz|
|Sub Preamp Outputs||Yes|
|Switchable Rear Preamp Outputs||No|
|Navigation App Compatible (iOS)|
|Navigation App Compatible (Android)|
|Preamp Voltage||4 volts|
|Key Button Color||Variable|
|Steering Wheel Control Compatible||Adapter required|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
|FM Sensitivity||11 dBf|
|Radio Data System||Yes|
|Music File Playback||MP3,WMA,AAC,FLAC,WAV|
Touchscreen & Remote Control
CarPlay & iPhone Music Playback
AppRadio + AppRadioLive
Disc & USB Playback
Audio & DSP Section
AV + OEM Connectivity
6.2" Clear Resistive LCD Touchscreen Monitor: The Pioneer AVIC-6201NEX features a 6.2" clear resistive touchscreen with a display resolution of 800 x 480 (RGB), for a total of 1,152,000 pixels. The clear resistive panel is designed to enhance the visibility of on-screen graphics and images, making them appear clear and crisp. The touchscreen display allows you to control this unit and a connected component such as an Apple iPod or iPhone. Menus appear on screen for making function choices, audio adjustments, and setting up the system.
- Favorites: You can register the desired menu items on the AVIC-6201NEX's "Favorites" menu screen. Registering your favorite menu items allows you to quickly jump to the registered menu item by a simple touch on the favorites menu. Up to 12 menu items can be registered as a "Favorite".
- OSD + Backgrounds: The color of the on-screen display can be set to red, amber, green, blue or white. The background display can be selected from 8 different preset displays for the AV Operation screen and 5 different preset displays for the Top Menu screen. In addition, you can change the background display to other images imported from an external USB device.
- Widescreen Modes: You can choose from the following widescreen modes when playing back video - Full (4:3 picture is enlarged in the horizontal direction only; enabling you to enjoy a 4:3 picture without any omissions), Zoom (4:3 picture is enlarged in the same proportion both vertically and horizontally; ideal for a 16:9 screen), Normal (4:3 picture is displayed as it is).
- Picture Adjustments: You can store numerous video settings for the head unit's video source and rear-view camera; including brightness (adjusts the black intensity), contrast (adjusts contrast) color (adjusts color saturation), temperature (adjust the color temperature), and Dimmer (adjusts brightness).
- Dimmer: To prevent the display from being too bright at night, the display is automatically dimmed when the car's headlights are turned on. The automatic dimmer function only works when the orange/white illumination wire in the wiring harness is connected to the vehicle's headlight circuit.
Note: This unit has a parking brake interlock system that prohibits viewing of video programming and operating certain controls when the vehicle is in motion. In order to watch video on the in-dash monitor, the vehicle must be stopped with the parking brake engaged. The head unit's light green wire must be connected to your vehicle's parking brake detection circuit. The head unit's touchscreen will display "Attention! Viewing of front seat video source while driving is strictly prohibited", if you try to watch a video when your vehicle is in motion.
Start-Up Time: The Pioneer AVIC-6201NEX will turn on to the last source selected or the navigation screen. The unit has a start-up time of approximately 17.3 seconds from OFF to the last Source selected, or a start-up of approximately 43.1 seconds from OFF to the Navigation screen.
Variable Illumination: The AVIC-6201NEX offers custom illumination for the front-panel controls so you can match your vehicle's interior, plus MIXTRAX Illumination for DJ-style illumination in your vehicle.
- Front-Panel Control w/ Custom Illumination: In addition to the touchscreen controls, the unit includes frequently used buttons along the left edge of the screen. The color of the button illumination can be set to red, amber, green, blue, white, or scan (constantly cycling through the color spectrum). You can also create a custom color to match your vehicle's interior lighting (112 colors to choose from).
- MIXTRAX Illumination: MIXTRAX features club-style illumination that enhances the mood with a dynamic dance club-like lighting effect. As MIXTRAX begins, lights start pulsing to the beat of the music, adding an extra level of entertainment. Choose among multiple patterns of lighting variations from sound pressure level or low-pass synchronization modes.
Detachable Security: The Pioneer AVIC-6201NEX's front-panel controls can be detached from the chassis to deter theft (no protective case provided). You can also enter a 5 to 16 character password that must be entered if the head unit is disconnected from power.
Remote Control: The Pioneer AVIC-6201NEX receiver comes with an IR wireless remote control, plus support for factory steering wheel control (adapter sold separately).
- IR Remote: The Pioneer AVIC-6201NEX includes an IR remote control (CD-R33) for wireless operation of the multimedia head unit and your connected devices.
- SWC Input: The head unit features an OEM steering wheel remote control input on the rear of the unit that lets you keep your vehicle's factory radio steering wheel remote controls when used with an optional steering wheel audio control adapter (sold separately).
HERE Navigation: The AVIC-6201NEX offers a comprehensive map database from HERE covering the entire United States (including Alaska & Hawaii), Canada, and Puerto Rico enabling users to route to millions of destinations; including 7.9 Million points of interest (POIs). The map database is stored on the head unit's built in 8GB flash memory.
Note: While the receiver's map database was judged to be as accurate as possible at the time of its release, a map database can never be 100% accurate. Road information that is maintained in the map databases, such as turn restrictions or road names may change over time.
Map Updates: Customers are eligible to update to the latest available map database free of charge during the first 45 days of operation (from the unit's first receipt of an active GPS signal) - after this 45 days there will be a charge to download map updates. To update the map database, visit the Naviextras website to download the Naviextras Toolbox on your computer (requires Windows XP or newer; not compatible with Mac) and USB thumbdrive.
GPS Technology: The AVIC-6201NEX accurately measures your current location by the Global Positioning System, a network of satellites orbiting the earth to give you time and position information. The accuracy of the GPS information depends upon how good the reception is. The unit features a built-in GPS receiver and comes with a GPS antenna. The AVIC-6201NEX also utilizes a speed sensing cable for better accuracy of your vehicle's movement; this wire should always be connected to your vehicle's speed detection circuit.
Note: The navigation receiver took approximately 13.7 seconds to calculate directions from Charlottesville, Virginia to Los Angeles California. It only took 12.1 seconds to calculate directions from Charlottesville, Virginia to Baltimore, Maryland. These tests were done inside the Crutchfield Lab of the Crutchfield Headquarters. Results will vary based on length of calculated route and your surrounding area.
Real-Time Traffic Updates: Partnering with Clear Channel Broadcasting's Total Traffic Network, the built-in traffic tuner provides real-time traffic data for over 90 major cities in North America, including US and Canada. Check your commute route in advance or re-route to your destination to avoid traffic congestion. There is no subscription cost and no annoying on-screen advertisements.
- Road segments affected by traffic incidents are displayed with an alternate color on the map and small symbols above the road show the nature of the incident.
- When traffic information that may affect your route is received, this system will warn you that it is recalculating the route and navigation will continue with a new route that is optimal considering the most up-to-date traffic conditions.
On-Screen Map: The Pioneer AVIC-6201NEX displays a real-time moving map illustrating your current position and intended route. It will show map scale and geographic details such as lakes, rivers, highways, buildings, and towns. Your route is marked with a green line, while your vehicle is indicated by a red arrow on the screen, and checkered flag marks your destination. As you travel the AVIC-6201NEX guides to your destination with arrows on the map and directions at the top of the screen. The map screen will also indicate the distance to your next maneuver. During your calculated route, distance to your final destination, timed need to reach the final destination, and estimated arrival time are all displayed on-screen. You can adjust the following map settings.
- 2D/3D Map Mode: The Pioneer AVIC-6201NEX allows you to view its on-screen map in a 2D (two-dimensional) or 3D (three-dimensional) view. 2D View displays a normal two-dimensional map with North or your direction at the top of map screen. Similar to paper road maps, the 2D mode, shows you streets, roads, and elevation by color. In 3D mode, your direction is at the top of the map screen and you can see the altitude and elevations differences. You can distinguish between valleys, mountains, and elevated roads.
- Color Mode: You can switch between daytime and nighttime color modes or let the head unit's software switch between the two mode automatically a few minutes before sunrise and a few minutes after sunset.
Note: The on-screen map offers Smart Zoom. When you approach a turn, the map will zoom in and raise the view angle to let you easily recognize your maneuver at the next junction. If the turn is at a distance, it will zoom out and lower the view angle to be flat so you can see the road in front of you.
Lane Guidance & Signposts: The Pioneer AVIC-6201NEX's navigation map offers helpful lane information and signpost guidance, along with exit service.
- Lane Guidance: When navigation on multilane roads, it is important to take the appropriate lane in order to follow the recommended route. If lane information is available in the map data, the map screen will display the lanes and their directions using small arrows at the bottom of the map. High lighted arrows represent the lanes you need to take.
- Realistic Signposts: Where additional information is available, realistic signposts & road signs substitute arrows. Replications of actual highway signs are displayed at the top of the map further improving driver orientation and navigation.
- Junction View: If you are approaching a freeway exit or a complex intersection and the needed information exists, the map is replaced with a 3D view of the junction. The lanes you need to take are displayed with arrows. Signposts can also be present, if information is available.
- Exit Services: While navigation a route, you can find gas, food, lodging, and restrooms near upcoming exits along major highways and freeways.
- Tunnel View: When entering a tunnel, the map is replaced with a generic tunnel image so that surface roads and buildings cannot distract you.
Audible Alerts: The Pioneer AVIC-6201NEX offers various audible alerts and functions to help you get to your destination safely.
- Voice Guidance (Text-to-Speech): In addition to graphical on-screen directions and maps, the AVIC-6201NEX provides voice guidance and turn-by-turn directions. You can choose a male or female voice in English, French, or Spanish. Some of the voices are capable of text-to-speech, announcing the street names along with the turn directions. You can adjust the the voice guidance volume independently from the head unit's main volume.
- Safety Alert: This function can warn you when you approach road safety cameras, school zones, or railroad crossings (if available). You can also add your own alert points. Beeps or the spoken type of alert will be heard when you are approaching of these points.
- Speed Limit Warning: Some maps may contain information about the speed limits of certain road segments. The AVIC-6201NEX provides an audible warning if you exceed the recommended speed limit.
Note: The unit will mute the audio of the other sources during navigation voice-prompts.
Where Am I? & Destination Search: The Where Am I? screen contains information about the current position (or approximately the last known position if GPS reception is not available) and a button to search for POIs and emergency assistance nearby. The Destination Search menu offers search tools to find your destination and play your route.
- Browse Map: Select a point on the map for your destination by touching the screen.
- Address: Input your destination address by house number, street, and city (or county).
- POIs: Search over 7.9 million POIs (points-of interest) by name, near you current location, near your destination, or around a city.
- Favorites (including Home & Work): You can save your favorite addresses and POIs for quicker access the next time you are traveling. You can also save your Home and Work address in your favorites.
- History & Smart History: The places that you have set as destinations in the past are automatically stored for easier access. Smart History suggest these previously used locations as destinations based on your navigation habits, using parameters like the current time of day, the day of week, and the current location.
- Combined Search: You can enter search keywords to find addresses, favorite places, recent destination, and POIs.
- Coordinates: Allows you to search your destination by longitude and latitude values.
Note: Your vehicle must be stopped and the parking brake will need to be engaged to enable certain navigation functions; such as Address search and Coordinates.
Route Calculation: The Pioneer AVIC-6201NEX calculates your route based on your Vehicle Type, Route Method, and Avoidances.
- Vehicle Type: You select what type of vehicle you are driving, so the navigation unit can determine the best route based on your vehicle type (Car, Truck, Emergency, Bus, or Taxi).
- Route Method: You can choose which route method
(Fastest, Shortest, Green, Economical, or Easy) the navigation unit should
use when calculating your route.
- Fastest: give a quick route, if you can travel at or near the speed limit on all roads. Usually the best section for fast and normal cars
- Shortest: gives a route that has the smallest total distance of all possible routes. It can be practical for slow vehicles
- Economical: combines the benefits of Fast and Short; calculates as if it were calculating the Fast route, but it takes other roads as well to save fuel
- Easy: results in a route with fewer turns and no difficult maneuvers
- Avoidances: You can tell the navigation unit to avoid certain types of roads along your calculated route, such as - Highways, Tolls, Carpool/HOV, Unpaved Roads, and/or Ferries.
Detours/Alternatives/Auto Reroute: You can select "Route Alternative" to see the turn-list and map screen of four routes (Fastest/Shortest/Economical/Easy) with the selected route planning parameters, giving you the option to select which route to take. You can also choose to Detour around the road ahead, avoid a specific road, or around a section of the route. If you depart from the original route, the navigation system recalculates the route and provides new directions.
Route Planner + Itinerary w/ Route Simulation: The Route Planner feature lets you built your route using the list of destinations you have chosen. You can modify the list as you like (adding or removing a destination (waypoint), changing a final destination, or setting a new starting position. The Itinerary page displays turn-by-turn instructions for your entire route and the distance between turns. You can preview all the route information and simulate travel along a projected route.
Monitors: The Pioneer AVIC-6201NEX provides a Trip Monitor that contains useful information about your trip and a Fuel Consumption Monitor that helps keep track of fuel mileage.
- Trip Monitor: The Trip Monitor contains useful information about your trip. This information can be saved manually when you reach your destination or automatically along your route. Trip log data includes; Start/End Time, Avg./Max. Speed, Total/Driving/Stopped Time, Total Distance, and Min./Max. Altitude.
- Fuel Consumption Monitor: The Fuel Consumption Monitor helps you keep track of the fuel consumption of your car even if you do not use the navigation system for all your journeys. Set the initial odometer value and then record the distance driven and the amount of fuel whenever you fill up your car. You can also se reminders for regular car maintenance. The Fuel Consumption Monitor's calculations are based only on the information that you provide and not on any data from the vehicle. The fuel mileage displayed is only a reference value and does not guarantee that the fuel mileage displayed can be obtained.
AVICSYNC App: Pioneer's AVICSYNC app provides the ability to access free & subscription-based services, from the application on your USB-connected Apple iPhone (iOS 6.0+) or Bluetooth-paired Android smartphone (OS 4.0+), using the touchscreen display of the navigation receiver in the dash. With a connected smartphone, users can experience a simplified interface for accessing live traffic updates, local POI searches, weather, local gas prices and parking availability and prices.
- Free Services: Free services & features of the AVICSYNC
app include -
- Pedestrian Mode: After disconnecting the smartphone from the navigation receiver, the smartphone app will tell you how to walk to your destination from the car.
- Find Your Parked Car: The smartphone app records the last coordinates at which it was connected to the receiver as the car was being driven, which is useful in case you forgot where you parked your car.
- Data Synchronization: Data synchronization keeps navigation-related data such as planned routes, history, favorites, and saved routes in sync between the smartphone and the receiver, each time they are connected.
- In-App Purchases: You can purchase an online service
package through the in-app shop to expand navigation functionality.
- Search with HERE: Using the Online Search feature, search for the latest online information based on the HERE database for local points of interests.
- Custom Weather: For convenient traveling, check on weather, temperature and wind conditions forecasted at your destination and along the route from the touchscreen display of the receiver.
- Traffic by TomTom: Live traffic information with broad road coverage from Traffic by TomTom provides real-time traffic for faster route planning.
- Fuel Prices from OPIS: This feature shows the available gas station locations around your current position and along the route to your destination and provides information on fuel pricing and distance to fuel stations from your current location.
- Parkopedia: Searching for parking using the Online Parking feature makes it easy to locate available parking from your current position. Additional details such as pricing and availability are provided where available.
Apple CarPlay: The Pioneer AVIC-6201NEX ffeatures Apple CarPlay, the smarter and safer way to use your iPhone in the car. The Pioneer AVIC-6201NEX supports Apple CarPlay through your USB-connected iPhone (iOS 7.1+) with Lightning connector. Your iPhone can be connected to the NEX-series head unit's USB-1 port via the included USB extension cable and a Lightning-to-USB cable. Apple CarPlay gives iPhone users an incredibly intuitive way to make calls, use Maps, listen to music, and access messages through Siri voice control and the Pioneer receiver's touchscreen controls.
- Maps: Apple CarPlay brings the power and simplicity of Apple Maps to your dashboard; complete with turn-by-turn direction, traffic conditions, and estimated travel time. You can enter a new destination or choose a favorite or recent destination using the head unit's touchscreen or by simply asking Siri. CarPlay can also predict where you most likely want to go using addresses from your email, text messages, contacts, and calendars.
- Phone & Messages: Via Apple CarPlay, you'll be able to make calls, return missed calls, and listen to voicemails through the Pioneer head receiver. Siri can also help you do all these things. In addition, Siri can send, read, and reply to your text messages for you; so you never have to look at your iPhone while driving.
- Music Library: Through Apple CarPlay, you can access your artists, song, playlists, and iTunes Radio on your iPhone using the Pioneer head unit's touchscreen. Or, just tell Siri what you'd like to listen to. The head unit's touchscreen will display song/artist information, as well as album art in the background.
- Apps: CarPlay also supports additional audio apps that you've downloaded to your iPhone for enjoying music, radio, sports, news, podcasts, & audiobooks. Control them from the head unit's touchscreen just like you would from your iPhone. Apple continues to add more apps to CarPlay. Current supported apps include (fees may apply) -
Note: If you need an additional USB extension cable, use Pioneer's CD-MU200 cable (130CDMU200, sold separately). For Car Play, you will only use the CD-MU200's 58" USB extension cable, and not the included 19" micro-to-USB cable. Any other USB extension cable can cause CarPlay to malfunction.
iPhone Music Playback w/ DAC Bypass: If you don't desire CarPlay, AppRadio, or AppRadioLive, the Pioneer AVIC-6201NEX also supports music only playback from your Lightning or 30-pin connector iPod/iPhone device through the receiver's USB-1 port (requires a Lightning-to-USB cable or dock-to-USB cable). Your iPod/iPhone's music library to be loaded instantly to the head unit and sound quality to be maximized through the head unit's 24-bit D/A converter (bypassing iPod/iPhone DAC), allowing for a Signal to Noise ratio up to 96dB. The AVIC-6201NEX will playback stored music and music apps on your compatible iPod/iPhone device, provide touchscreen control, and song/artist information display.
- Music Control: From the head unit's touchscreen, you can search your iPod/iPhone's audio content by Radio, Playlist, Artist, Album, Song, Podcast, Genre, Composer, or Audiobook. Once you have selected a category, you can search each category alphabetically (A-Z). In addition, the head unit offers Link Search, which allows you to play songs related to the currently playing song. Link Search lets the head unit create an album list of the currently playing artist, a song list of the currently playing album, or an album list of the currently playing genre. You can also select Random & Repeat functions for a certain song or specific folder.
- Apple Music Radio: You'll have access to Apple Music Radio from your USB-connected iPhone through the Pioneer navigation receiver. Listen for free to Beats 1, an innovative radio station hosted by the world's best artists and DJs. With an Apple Music Radio subscription, you can explore a wide range of curated radio stations, as well as create stations around your favorite songs or artists. Playback control from the head unit's touchscreen is only offered for Apple Music Radio paid subscribers.
- Song/Artist Info & Album Art: The Pioneer receiver supports song/artist information and album art. The head unit will display your iPod/iPhone's stored music information including Track number, Elapsed playing time, Song/Album title, Artist name, and Album art.
- Battery Charging: The head unit's USB connection provides 1.6A of current to power and charge your connected iPod/iPhone when your vehicle's ignition switch is set to the 'ACC' or 'On' position. If your iPod/iPhone has no initial battery charge, then the unit will not recognize it.
Note: Older iPod/iPhone device's will be locked during connection, but newer Apple devices (iOS 6.0+) will stay unlocked so you can also control the iPod/iPhone from its touchscreen and access apps.
Apple Device Compatibility Chart: The Pioneer AVIC-6201NEX supports the following iPod/iPhone model functions (as of 3/1/2018):
|Apple Device||Generation||Tested Version||Media Type||Control Type||Specific Apps||Display Type||Bluetooth||Charge|
|Audio||Video||Head Unit||iPod/iPhone||CarPlay|| AppRadio |
|Pandora||Song/Artist||Track Info||Album Art||Phone||Audio||Siri|
Note: Apple iPod/iPhone software updates may change functionality results. If you download a newer software version, you may need to reset the head unit and your iPod/iPhone to regain functionality. If this doesn't work, you may need to wait until a newer software update is available.
AppRadio & AppRadioLive Compatibility: The AVIC-6201NEX supports Pioneer's AppRadio & AppRadioLive applications through your compatible Apple iPhone (iOS 9.0+) with Lightning connector or MHL-enabled Android smartphone (OS 4.0+). See below for compatibility and what type of cables are needed.
- Apple iOS Compatibility: Use Apple's Lightning-to-Digital AV Adapter, a Lightning-to-USB cable, and an HDMI cable (all sold separately) to connect your iPhone with Lightning connector (iOS 9.0+) to the AVIC-6201NEX's rear-panel USB-1 port and HDMI input. Your iPhone will also require Bluetooth pairing with the Pioneer receiver.
- Android Compatibility: You will need a MHL adapter box,
microUSB-to-HDMI cable, and a microUSB-to-USB cable (all sold separately) to
connect your compatible MHL-enabled Android smartphone (OS 4.0+) to the
AVIC-6201NEX's rear-panel USB-2 port and HDMI input. Click
here for compatible Android devices. The Samsung Galaxy S3/S4/S5 and
Samsung Note II/II/IV also require an additional Samsung adapter (sold
- The Samsung MHL adapter (EPL-FU10BEBSTD, not sold at Crutchfield) is also needed for the Samsung Galaxy S3 and Note II.
- The Samsung HDMI adapter (EPL-3FHUBEGSTD, not sold at Crutchfield) is also needed for the Samsung Galaxy S4 and Note III.
- The Samsung MHL 2.0 adapter (ET-H10FAUWESTA, not sold at Crutchfield) is also needed for the Samsung Galaxy S5 and Note IV.
Note: Your iPhone or Android phone will need an active Data Plan account with connection to the Internet via 3G, EDGE, LTE (4G), or WiFi. Access to these online AppRadio app services will depend on the availability of a cellular and/or WiFi network for purposes of allowing your iPhone to connect to the Internet. AppRadio apps may not be available in all regions.
AppRadio Mode: The Pioneer AVIC-6201NEX supports Pioneer's AppRadio mode application for iPhone (iOS 7.0-up) with Lightning Connector and select MHL-enabled Android smartphones (OS 4.0+). AppRadio offers full on-screen access and control of your smartphone's music, navigation, calendar, contacts, and more with an intuitive interface; formatted and designed specifically for safer in-vehicle operation. Pioneer has also teamed up with various app providers to offer compatibility with many of today's most popular in-vehicle apps, while also developing an expanding catalog of compatible apps for future use that can be easily & seamlessly added. The AppRadio app for iPhone & Android consists of a variety of navigation, music, & utility apps. These integrated application are displayed on the AVIC-6201NEX's LCD touchscreen. You are able to select, view, and even control many of the apps from the Pioneer receiver. Available apps within AppRadio will depend on your type of smartphone (iPhone or Android) and your region.
- Navigation: The following navigation apps can be
utilized within AppRadio. Purchase and Subscription fees may apply for some
- Apple & Google Maps: You can view your iPhone or Android smartphone's Apple or Google maps on the Pioneer head unit's touchscreen as you would on your mobile device.
- Waze: Waze, for iPhone & Android, is a social GPS driving and navigation app that connects you to other drivers. When you download Waze, you not only get a free GPS traffic & navigation app, but also become part of the local driving community in your area, joining forces with other drivers nearby to outsmart traffic, save time and gas, and improve everyone's daily commute.
- INRIX Traffic: INRIX (for iPhone) is a leading provider of highly accurate traffic services. INRIX's strategic partnership with Clear Channel Radio and Total Traffic Network extends the delivery of the highest quality data and broadest coverage available for personal navigation. INRIX Traffic provides real-time traffic information and traffic forecasts for all major highways, interstates, arterials and city streets nationwide. Traffic information will be displayed on the AppRadio, while control is still handled from the iPhone.
- iGO Primo North America: The IGO Primo app (for iPhone) app is powered by the same tried-and-trusted iGO Engine used in millions of GPS navigation devices around the world. The maps are part of the application so there are no roaming fees (no need for cellular network coverage). Highlighted features include; fast, short, easy-to-follow, and green routes, automatic route recalculation, multipoint-route support, smart keyboard & history, TTS Pro, in-app shop, local/POI search, and more.
- Navmii GPS USA: Navmii GPS USA is a free navigation app (for iPhone & Android) that offers turn-by-turn directions, voice and on-screen instructions, offline map use, address search and live search via Google or Microsoft Bing. It uses map data created by a community of thousands of user around the world. The map gets downloaded to the phone, so a data connection is not required.
- Driver Assistant: In addition to navigation apps,
AppRadio offers Driver Assistant apps to help with parking, communication,
and vehicle diagnostic. Purchase and Subscription fees may apply for some
- DashCommand: DashCommand (for iPhone & Android) utilizes the built-in GPS & accelerometer sensors in your phone to provide advanced features such as the skid pad, race track, and inclinometer. A separate OBD-II interface module (sold separately) is required.
- Extra Mile: Extra Mile (for iPhone & Android) is an all-in-one app for convenient voice navigation gives audio feedback to improve your driving performance and conserve fuel.
- Beej!: Beej! (for iPhone) is an in-vehicle location/navigation application. Beej! quickly identifies your position and allows you to select the nearest bank, bar, gas station, hospital, hotel, restaurant and more. Beej! provides a complete list of all the businesses in the category selected, including the distance from your current location and address, with options to get directions or place a call to the selected business.
- Parkopedia: Parkopedia (for iPhone) has grown to cover over 25 million parking spaces in 28 countries around the world thanks to contributions from other drivers. Use this app to find parking using your current location or by entering an address. Get directions straight to the space and see parking space availability in real-time (where available). Find opening hours, up to date prices, payment methods and more. You can quickly narrow down parking choices using filters such as free, credit cards accepted, covered, etc.
- TPMS: The Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) app (for iPhone and Android) automatically monitors pressures and temperatures of tires in real-time. It immediately alerts drivers when there is an abnormal tire pressure through voice alerts and flashing lights.
- Glympse: Glympse (for Android) is the easiest way to safely share your location with someone in real time. No sign-up needed and no new social network to manage. Recipients receive a link allowing them to view your ETA and location in real-time for the length of time you choose. When the timer on your Glympse expires, your location is no longer visible. Best of all, recipients do not need any special software to view a Glympse. Send a Glympse via SMS, email, Facebook or Twitter, and recipients can view it using any web-enabled device.
- Saving Fuel: Saving Fuel (for iPhone) monitors your acceleration, braking cornering, and idling to gather an overall score for each trip. It scores your driving behavior and car health, as well a give you tips to help you drive safely.
- Music: AppRadio mode
gives you access to music stored on your smartphone device and from various
online music services. Purchase and Subscription fees may apply for
- CarMediaPlayer: The CarMediaPlayer app (for iPhone & Android) allows you to swipe and directly touch the desired artist, song, or album in your Android device's music library directly from the Pioneer touchscreen with Alphabet Search and Album View functions. Stored movies and videos can also be accessed through the CarMediaPlayer. Video can only be viewed when the vehicle's parking brake is engaged.
- iHeartAuto Radio: The iHeartAuto Radio app (for iPhone & Android) app offers safe, easy, free access to more than 1,500 live radio stations from across the country. Plus, in the same app you can create custom stations based on your favorite artists or songs. With the top live radio stations in America and more than 15 million songs in our catalog, iHeartAuto features more music, backed by better music programming, than any other service available.
- Mixtrax: Pioneer's proprietary Mixtrax app (for iPhone & Android) analyzes the music in your iTunes library to create custom playlists for non-stop song mixes with added DJ effects.
- 7digital: The 7digital app (for Android) is a leading digital music provider which sells high quality MP3s across 32 countries worldwide. With over 20 million tracks in store, you're sure to find what you're looking for. With this app you can Sync your 7digital music from the cloud to your phone wirelessly, play music that is already stored on your device, and browse top album and track charts, new releases and recommendations right on the screen of this Pioneer navigation receiver.
- StreamS HiFi Radio: The StreamS HiFi Radio app (for iPhone) provides access to more than 4,000 live Internet radio stations from across the globe delivered in AAC/HE-AACv1/HE-AACv2 at 32kbps for high fidelity listening.
- gMusic: The Google Music app (for iPhone) allows you to keep up to 20,000 of your favorite songs in the cloud. Now you can listen to your entire music collection without having to use any space on your iOS device. gMusic offers full playlist editing, thumbs up playlist, metadata editing, and innovative navigation.
- Stezza: The Stezza app (for iPhone) has big buttons for big fingers. Featuring a modern design, playing music has never been safer when driving. Multiple color themes for the fashion conscious, all the usual controls, podcasts, and iTunes Match supported.
- Utility: AppRadio mode
offers additional helpful apps along your commute. Purchase and
Subscription fees may apply for some applications.
- Contacts & Calendar: Access your contacts on your iPhone or Android phone from the Pioneer head unit's touchscreen. You can also access your smartphone's calendar; view important events and reminders.
- Photos: View photos stored on your iPhone or Android device. Access albums and camera rolls and even view a slideshow.
- CarBrowser: The CarBrowser app (for iPhone) allows you to search and navigate the internet directly from the Pioneer head unit's touchscreen while the vehicle's parking brake is engaged.
- Commute WX: The Commute WX app (for iPhone) provides real-time weather information (current/forecast/in-route). Weather conditions are featured in large, easy to read graphics in a streamlined user interface that's well suited for in-vehicle travel.
- Top Headlines: The Top Headlines app (for iPhone) is an audible news app which lets you listen to the most recent new updates from multiple sources.
- EC Touch: The EasyCar app (for iPhone) is designed specifically for AppRadio and provides large icons, simple commands, and swipe gestures that enable you to access your iPhone's music, contacts, mapping, and more.
- Voice Directory: The Voice Directory app (for Android) is a hands-free app that uses voice to search Yellow Pages' business listings in the US and call the phone number directly. Use voice to search for a business near you or by city and state, to search by business name or business type, or to call the business directly.
- CarKeyboard: The CarKeyboard app (for Android) allows you to input text directly from the 6.95" touchscreen display of the Pioneer head unit. CarKeyboard is a customizable multi-language keyboard that works in conjunction with the AppRadio app and can also be used as the default keyboard on your Android device.
Note: Click here to view complete list of compatible AppRadio apps.
AppRadioLive: Within the AppRadio App mode is the AppRadioLive App for iPhone (iOS 9.0-up) with Lightning connector and select MHL-enabled Android (OS 4.2+) smartphones. The AppRadioLive app simplifies AppRadio mode and your drive by combining the information you need during your commute into a single, easy-to-use interface. Maps, media, news information, and your events calendar are within reach within a smooth and intuitive interface on the head unit's touchscreen.
- Maps: The AppRadioLive app uses the native maps from your Apple or Android smartphone overlaid with INRIX live traffic data to provide live traffic and incident information to give you an estimated time of arrival at your chosen destination. You can even use Yelp to find points of interest along the way, including restaurant ratings and reviews. The AppRadioLive map feature also allows destinations to b exported directly into any of the user's favorite AppRadio compatible navigation apps; such as iGO Primo (iPhone only), Navfree (iPhone only), and Waze to obtain route and voice guidance.
- Media: AppRadioLive also lets you play your stored music library directly from your smartphone. And, you can access over 25 millions songs from your Rdio account (iPhone only). Or, you can access over 25,000+ radio shows and podcasts from your Stitcher account.
- Events: AppRadioLive lets you stay up to date on the latest news with the help of Feedly and text-to-speech technology. You can check the weather for your current location, home, work, or destination. With text-to-speech technology, the Pioneer receiver will even read you the latest news stories from the internet.
- Calendar: The AppRadioLive app lets you stay organized by accessing your smartphone's calendar and Facebook events in a single, simple interface. With multiple viewing options within its sleek, simple user interface, you can access your smartphone and Facebook calendars in one place, RSVP to Facebook events and use EventSeeker to find nearby concerts and events based on your personal interests and location.
Bluetooth 3.0 + EDR: The AVIC-6201NEX is equipped with built-in Bluetooth (3.0+EDR), allowing you to make and receive phone calls wirelessly through the receiver; as well as stream music wirelessly from your smartphone to the head unit. In order to use Bluetooth wireless technology, your phone must also be Bluetooth compatible and be able to interpret certain profiles. This unit is compatible with the following Bluetooth Profiles:
- Hands-Free Communication: HFP 1.6 (Hands Free Profile), OPP 1.1 (Object Push Profile), PBAB 1.0 (Phone Book Access Profile).
- Audio Streaming: A2DP 1.3 (Advanced Audio Distribution Profile), AVRCP 1.4 (Audio/Video Remote Control Profile).
Note: Due to the differences in Bluetooth technology, some Bluetooth enabled devices may be incompatible, function improperly, or may not support all features when used with the Pioneer AVIC-6201NEX.
SPP (Secure Simple Pairing) w/ Dual Phone Connection: With Secure Simple Pairing (SSP), you can easily pair a Bluetooth enabled phone to the AVIC-6201NEX without having to enter pin codes or go through complicated settings. Once a paired Bluetooth device is in close proximity to the receiver, the auto connection function automatically pairs the two units. Up to 3 Bluetooth-compatible devices (2 phones/1 audio player) can be paired to this head unit. You are even able to keep two Bluetooth-enabled smartphones connected at the same time, so you can switch between phones from the head unit's touchscreen, without having to connect or re-connect devices.
Hands-Free Communication (w/ External Mic): The PioneerAVIC-6201NEX supports wireless hands-free communication for your Bluetooth enabled mobile phone. Thanks to the latest Hands-Free Profile (HFP 1.6) with wideband speech capability, the AVIC-6201NEX provides more natural sound quality and details during wireless calls. The AVIC-6201NEX allows you to carry on a phone conversation from your Bluetooth enabled mobile phone using the head unit's external microphone and your car audio speakers. During a conversation you can adjust the volume, as well as switch between the Private Mode (talking directly on your cell phone) and the Hands Free Mode.
- Answering A Call: During an incoming phone call, the head unit will display the caller's information and an audible ring tone will be heard through your vehicle's speakers. You can manually answer an incoming call or have the unit automatically answer the call.
- Making A Call: The AVIC-6201NEX offers a variety of
ways to make call using the in-dash receiver.
- Direct Dialing: You can make a call by entering the phone number using the head unit's touchscreen keypad.
- Preset Dialing: You can store up to six phone numbers as presets for quicker dialing.
- Phone Book: The phone book (up to 800 contacts) in your Bluetooth enabled mobile phone will be transferred automatically when the phone is paired to this unit. After finding the number you want to call in the phone book from the head unit, you can select the entry and make the call. If a lot of numbers are registered in the phone book, you can search for a phone number by the contact person's name alphabetically.
- Call Log: The 80 most recent calls dialed, received, and missed are stored in memory. You can browse them and call numbers from these lists.
- Voice Dialing (Siri & Google Voice): When paired and connected with an iPhone 4S or later via Bluetooth, the Pioneer head unit has the ability to access Siri through its touchscreen controls and external microphone. It also supports Google Voice for select Android smartphones (not compatible with Samsung "S Voice"). You'll be able to dial a phone number or contact via voice command.
Note: Advanced phone operations that require attention, such as dialing numbers on the touchscreen monitor or adjusting Bluetooth settings, are prohibited while driving. The vehicle's parking brake must be engaged to access these functions.
Wireless Audio Streaming: The Pioneer AVIC-6201NEX also supports wireless audio playback (AD2P) and control (AVRCP) of a Bluetooth enabled audio player or smartphone. The head unit can stream music stored on your Bluetooth enabled device or music apps you have downloaded on your device. When an incoming call or outgoing call is in progress from your Bluetooth enabled mobile phone, audio streaming will be paused so you can take your call.
- Advanced Music Navigation: In addition to basic playback functions (Play/Pause, FF/RW, Skip, Random/Repeat), the AVIC-6201NEX lets you browse your stored music by Playlist, Artist, Album, Song, etc.. (AVRCP 1.4 phones only; which includes Android 4.0+ and iPhone 5.0+).
- Song/Artist Info: The head unit will also display your stored music's and music app's song information; such as Artist name and Song/Album title (app must also support).
Siri Eyes-Free Functionality: When paired and connected to an iPhone (iOS 6.1+) with Siri via Bluetooth, the Pioneer AVIC-6201NEX has the ability to access Siri through its touchscreen and external microphone for Siri Eyes-Free functionality. When activated, Siri voice prompts play through the vehicle's speakers and the user's commands and questions are received and transmitted to the receiver using the external microphone. Siri Eyes-Free provides access to many iPhone Siri functions such as music selection, making phone calls, and audible navigation (map will be displayed on iPhone); as well as listening to text messages, calendar information, and reminders. The head unit's audio is muted while Siri provides audible voice prompts.
Note: The head unit's touchscreen monitor will only indicate hands-free calling and song/artist information (all other functions of Siri are only audible through the Pioneer AVIC-6201NEX; visual data will still need to be viewed from your iPhone device).
Pandora Internet Radio: The free Pandora App (for Apple iOS 10.0+ or Android OS 4.0+) lets you play music from the Pandora music service through the Pioneer AVIC-6201NEX using your USB, Bluetooth, or HDMI+Bluetooth connected Apple iPhone, as well as your Bluetooth or HDMI+Bluetooth connected Android smartphone. Your iPhone or Android smartphone will also need an active Data Plan account with connection to the Internet via 3G, EDGE, LTE (4G), or WiFi. The Pioneer AVIC-6201NEX will provide control over the Pandora music service & display Artist, Album, & Song information; as well as Album art.
- Station List + Presets: You can select Pandora stations from your Station List by date or alphabetically. You can also store six Pandora Radio preset stations for even easier recall.
- New Stations: New stations can be created based on the current songs or artists playing.
- Shuffle: You can also listen to songs played randomly from various stations within your Station List.
- Skip Songs: You can skip song tracks within a station. You cannot skip back to a previous song. Pandora limits the number of skips allowed.
- Thumbs Up/Down: You can give songs a thumbs up or thumbs down to help Pandora personalize stations to suit your preferences.
- Bookmarking: The song/artist currently being played can be bookmarked & stored in your Pandora account.
SiriusXM 3.0 Ready: The Pioneer AVIC-6201NEX is SiriusXM 3.0 Ready so you can listen to commercial-free music, all your favorite sports, exclusive talk and entertainment, comedy, news, traffic, weather, and more. Simply activate a SiriusXM Radio subscription (fees will apply) and connect the SiriusXM Connect Vehicle Tuner (220SXV300, sold separately) to the dedicated port on the rear of the receiver for playback and control of satellite radio. Check out the most popular SiriusXM subscription packages here.
- Channel/Category Lists + Song/Artist/Album Info: The Channel List displays a list of all available channels. The Category List displays all available categories and stations within those categories. Information such as Channel Name, Artist Name, & Song Title can be viewed on the head unit's LCD touchscreen. You also get station logo identification and album art on the display.
- Category Scan + Instant Replay: During Category Scan, the live broadcast for each channel in the current category plays for six seconds at a time. The SiriusXM Instant Replay function lets you pause, rewind, and replay up to 60 minutes of live content from the station that you are currently listening to.
- SmartFavorite Presets + Featured Favorites: You can store up to 18 SiriusXM Satellite Radio Station Presets with special tuning features such as TuneStart, TuneScan, & TuneMix (see below). Featured Favorites are groups of channels that are created by the SiriusXM Programming department allowing to discover new channels. Featured Favorite channels are dynamic and can change often, allowing you to discover new channels.
- TuneStart, TuneScan, & TuneMix: TuneStart automatically start songs from the beginning when you tune to one of your SmartFavorite music channels stored on the current band of presets. TuneScan lets you scan through short previews of songs you may have missed on music channels stored on the current band of SmartFavorite presets. TuneMix plays a unique blend of songs from music channels stored in the current SmartFavorite preset band.
- Traffic, Weather, & Sports: You can tune in and listen quickly to information pertaining to weather and traffic from a particular city you have specified. You can also be alerted when your favorite sports teams are playing so you can tune to the appropriate station quickly.
- iTunes Tagging: The iTunes Tagging feature lets you Tag songs you hear on SiriusXM and stores the info on your iPod/iPhone (connected to your head unit via USB). The next time you connect your iPod/iPhone to iTunes, you will be able to preview your selections and then purchase and download them directly from iTunes.
- Parental Control: The SiriusXM Parental Control feature allows you to control access to channels that you consider inappropriate for younger listeners. When enabled, The Parental Control feature requires you to enter a 4-digit passcode to tune to the locked channels.
Note: A separate SiriusXM Satellite Radio subscription is required (operates on the XM Network). However, you can easily add this SiriusXM tuner to an existing Sirius or XM account for a Multi-Radio Discount Plan.
HD Radio: The Pioneer AVIC-6201NEX's built-in HD Radio tuner lets you listen to the radio with the same fidelity as your digital music. HD Radio features high quality audio, FM multi-casting, and data services. With HD Radio, your FM stations offer near CD-quality sound, AM stations provide FM-like sound, and there is crystal-clear reception with no audio distortion. Best of all, HD Radio is 100% subscription free. The unit's tuner also supports analog AM/FM broadcasts.
- Multicasting: In addition to conventional broadcasts, with HD Radio broadcasting it is possible to choose from up to 3 multicast programs (HD1 to HD3, and analog). There are also data programs for each program.
- Station Text/Album Art + RDS: AM/FM digital stations can offer text and data such as artist names and song titles. The head unit also supports Album Art from select HD Radio stations. For analog FM stations, the Radio Data System (RDS) feature displays radio broadcast information such as song/artist information when listening to compatible RDS FM stations.
- Supertuner IIID: The Supertuner IIID features Feed Forward Control, which avoids multi-path interference. This pre-detection of interference enables quick filter control and results in less distortion. In addition, the Supertuner IIID creates enhanced stereo during multi-path interference, unlike conventional tuners that collapse to mono. Digital processing reduces distortion, and improves Signal-to-Noise Ratio and stereo separation. Advanced analog technology improves signal processing sensitivity.
- Reception Blending: If a digital broadcast reception condition gets poor, this unit automatically switches to the analog broadcast of the same frequency level. If this function is set to "On", the tuner switches between digital broadcast and analog broadcast automatically. If this function is 'Off', reception will be conducted within a digital broadcast.
- BSM (Best Stations Memory): The BSM (Best Stations Memory) function lets you automatically store the six strongest analog or HD stations under preset buttons 1-6 of the currently tuned band. The tuner has 3 FM banks and 1 AM bank. You can store 6 presets for each bank giving you a total of 18 FM presets and 6 AM presets.
- Local Tuning: Local seek tuning lets you tune in only those radio stations with sufficiently strong signals for good reception. There are 4 level of sensitivity for FM and two levels for AM. The higher settings allow reception of only the strongest stations, while lower settings let you receive progressively weaker stations.
- iTunes Tagging: It is possible to save the song's information (tag) from a HD Radio or RDS FM broadcasting station to your USB-direct connected iPod/iPhone. The songs will show up in a playlist called "Tagged" in iTunes the next time you sync your iPod/iPhone. Then you can directly buy the songs you want from the iTunes Music Store.
Note: HD Radio is the system for digital AM and FM broadcasting in the U.S. More than 2,000 radio stations are broadcasting their primary signals in digital HD Radio technology, as a free service. Go to www.hdradio.com to check for HD Radio stations in your area.
Compatible Discs: The unit has a front-loading disc-slot to make loading your disc easier, because there is no panel to slide or fold-down. The AVIC-6201NEX supports playback of DVD-Video, DVD-R/RW, CD-Audio, and CD-R/RW discs with music, video, and photo files.
- Off Insert/Eject: A disc can be inserted or ejected with the power off. When a disc is inserted with the power off, the unit will automatically power up and begin playback. When you eject a disc, the unit will automatically power off (unless you switch sources before ejecting the disc).
- Installation Angle: Optimum disc playback performance is obtained when the unit is installed at an angle of less than 30-degrees.
Dual USB Ports: The unit's two rear-panel USB (type-A) ports and 58" USB extension cable allows you to connect a USB Mass Storage Class (MSC) device, such as USB thumbdrive or portable digital music player. The USB port enables playback & control of music, video, and photo files stored on your portable USB MSC device through the Pioneer AVIC-6201NEX. USB devices that can be charged via USB will be charged when plugged into the receiver's USB port (1.6A) and the vehicle's ignition switch is set to ACC or On.
Compatible Media Files: The Pioneer AVIC-6201NEX supports the following types of audio, video, and photo files recorded onto a disc or USB device.
|Media Type||Disc: CD (-R/RW), DVD (-R/-RW/-R DL)||Flash Memory: USB MSC|
|File System||ISO9660 Level 1 or 2, Romeo, Joliet, UDF||FAT 16/32 or NTFS|
|Playable File Types||Audio|| |
MP3: 8-320kbps bit
rate; 16-48kHz sampling rates
8-320kbps bit rate; 8-48kHz sampling rates |
WMA: 5-320kbps bit rate; 8-48kHz sampling rates
AAC: 8-320kbps bit rate; 8-48kHz sampling rates
WAV: 8-/16-bit rate; 16-44.1kHz sampling rates
FLAC: 24-bit rate; 192kHz sampling rates
Video Files: MPEG 1/2/4, DivX |
Max Resolution: 720 x 1280 (MPEG), 720 x 576 (DivX)
Max Frame Rate: 30 fps
Max File Size: 4GB
Video Files: AVI, ASF, FLV, F4V, MP4, MKV, MOV, WMV, VOB,
Max Resolution: 720 x 480
Max Frame Rate: 30 fps
Max File Size: 4GB
|Photo||N/A||JPEG: max resolution of 8192 x 7680|
|Maximum # of Folders/Files|| |
700 folders/999 files (700 folders/3,500 files for DVD)
|1,500 folders/15,000 files|
|Song/Artist Info||MP3 ID3 tags, WMA-tags, AAC-tags, Album Art|
Note: Videos and Photos can only be viewed when the vehicle's parking brake is engaged.
Advanced Playback & Search Functions (for USB): Advance playback functions include; Music Browsing which lets you browse your USB memory device's music library by Artist, Album, Song, or Genre from the head unit in alphabetical order; and Link Play which allows you to play songs related to the currently playing song. Link Play lets the head unit create an album list of the currently playing artist, a song list of the currently playing album, or an album list of the currently playing genre.
Parental Lock: This unit features an 8-level Parental Lock system protected by a user-selected 4-digit password to prevent certain DVD's from being played back on the AVIC-6201NEX.
24-Bit/192kHz DAC: The Pioneer AVIC-6201NEX is equipped with a 24-bit/192kHz digital-to-analog converter for superb quality audio playback from disc, USB, iPod/iPhone, and Bluetooth.
MOSFET50 Internal Amplifier: This receiver is equipped with a 50 watts x 4 (peak) MOSFET amplifier for low distortion, high power output. The amplifier is strong enough to power small subwoofers to moderate volume levels in compact cars and pickups. For higher volume levels from subwoofers, an optional amplifier may be connected to the preamp outputs.
- CTA-2006 Specs: 14 watts RMS x 4 channels (at 4 ohms, 20Hz-20kHz, 1% THD-N)
- Continuous Power Output: 22 watts RMS x 4 channels (at 4 ohms, 50Hz-15kHz, 5% THD)
- Maximum Power Output: 50 watts x 4 channels (or 50 watts x 2 channels at 4 ohms + 70 watts x 1 channel at 2 ohms for subwoofer)
Note: The power specifications for the AVIC-6201NEX are compliant with the CTA-2006 Mobile Amplifier Power Testing and Measurement standards from the Consumer Technology Association (CTA). These standards were developed as a way to equitably compare power specs from model to model and between manufacturers.
4V/6CH Preamp Outputs + Sub Control: The Pioneer AVIC-6201NEX features three pair of 4.0-volt preamp outputs (Front/Rear/Subwoofer). The unit's front and rear preamp output can be faded (front/rear), while the subwoofer preamp output is non-fading. The Pioneer AVIC-6201NEX lets you adjust the subwoofer preamp output's phase (normal/reverse) and volume (+6 to -24).
Crossovers: The AVIC-6201NEX employs high pass and low pass crossovers to tailor the head unit to your connected speakers.
- HPF: The head unit's variable 6/12/18db per octave high pass filter only allows frequencies higher than those in the selected range (50, 63, 80, 100, 125, 160, or 200Hz) to your front and rear speakers through the unit's speaker-level or line-level outputs.
- LPF: The subwoofer preamp output features a 6, 12, or 18dB/octave low pass filter so only frequencies lower than those in the selected range (50, 63, 80, 100, 125, 160, or 200Hz) are output to your connected subwoofer.
EEQ (Easy EQ) w/ 13-Band Graphic EQ: There are seven stored equalizer curves which you can easily recall at any time. You can choose from - Powerful, Natural, Vocal, Super Bass, Flat, Custom 1, or Custom 2. The Custom 1 and Custom 2 EQ modes allow you to manually adjust the level (+/- 12dB) of each band of the head unit's 13-band graphic equalizer (50, 80, 125, 200, 315, 500, 800, 1.25k, 2k, 3.15k, 5k, 8k, and 12.5k Hz).
Auto EQ (Optional): The auto-equalizer automatically measures your car's interior acoustic characteristics, and then creates an auto-equalizer curve base on that information. The Pioneer CD-MC20 Auto-EQ microphone (130CDMC20, sold separately) is required to use this function. The Pioneer CD-MC20 Auto-EQ microphone plugs into your compatible Pioneer A/V receiver's rear-panel AUX 3.5mm input. The Auto-EQ microphone should be placed in the center of your vehicle's driver seat headrest facing forward for EQ measurement.
Audio Settings: The head unit provides further sound adjustments for your car audio system.
- Listening Position & Time Alignment: For a better sound-stage you can select your optimal listening position. You can choose from All, Front Left, Front Right, or Front. You can also select to manually fine tune the sound stage, using Digital Time Alignment (DTA) by selecting the distance (0-200") for each individual speaker in the vehicle compared to your listening position.
- Advanced Sound Retriever: The Advanced Sound Retriever automatically enhances compressed audio and restores the original richness of the recording. When the Advanced Sound Retriever is on, the high frequency range is compensated to match the frequency response curve to the original sound. There are two available levels of the Advanced Sound Retriever effect.
- Source Level Adjustment (SLA): This function lets you adjust the volume level of each source (AM, Pandora, iPod, Apps) to prevent radical changes in volume when switching between sources. Settings are based on the unit's FM volume level, which remains unchanged. Each source can be independently adjusted from -4 dB to +4 dB.
MIXTRAX: MIXTRAX is an innovative Pioneer technology that creates a nonstop mix of your music library complete with a range of DJ-inspired effects. Drawing from Pioneer's rich DJ heritage and our passion for music, MIXTRAX delivers a unique DJ infused listening experience to those in the car. MIXTRAX takes the music from a USB-connected iPod/iPhone or USB MSC device and plays it back with added transitions and effects, creating a virtual DJ inside the Pioneer receiver.
Note: The MIXTRAX function does not work in AppRadio or AppRadioLive mode, with the Pandora App, for CarPlay, and with Bluetooth sources.
Key Beep: The in-dash head unit provides an audible beep to confirm button operation; this can be turned On or Off.
Dual AV Inputs: The Pioneer AVIC-6201NEX has dual AV inputs to connect two external audio/video sources. The head unit has a rear-panel 3.5mm minijack AV input for connecting a portable audio/video device. There is also a rear-panel composite video/stereo RCA AV input for connecting a video component such as a mobile TV tuner or game console.
HDMI Input: In addition to AppRadio & AppRadiLive modes for iPhone and Android, the head unit's HDMI input can be used to connect almost any external mobile AV source with an HDMI output; such as a TV tuner, Blu-ray player, or game system. The HDMI input will provide video and audio playback. Your vehicle's parking brake will need to be engaged to view video on the receiver's screen. Playback functions will need to be controlled from your HDMI-connected device (not the Pioneer head unit).
AV Output (w/ Dual Zone): The unit features a composite video jack and 3.5mm audio jack to output AV signals to an optional monitor and headphone system. You can simultaneously enjoy the same or different sources in the front and rear of your vehicle. The unit's dual zone AV output can be set to Mirror, DVD/CD, AV, USB-1/iPod, SD, or Off. The Mirror mode simply outputs the same audio/video signal (not including HDMI & CarPlay) which is playing on the head unit's touchscreen monitor to your connected rear monitor/headphone system.
Note: USB/iPod cannot be selected for playback in the rear of the vehicle when CarPlay is active.
Included Backup Camera: The AVIC-6201NEX is equipped with a composite video rear-view camera input and includes Pioneer's ND-BC8 backup camera that can assist with rear visibility, towing, or parking. When the vehicle's transmission is put in reverse, the screen automatically switches to the rear view camera (violet/white wire of the harness must be connected to the vehicle's reverse lamp circuit for automatic video switching). Automatic video switching takes approximately 0.8 seconds. Additional rear-view camera features include:
- Parking Assist Guidelines: The unit also provides four on-screen guidelines to assist you when backing up and parking your vehicle.
- Trailer Towing: You can even select for the rear-view camera to stay on at all times, so you can keep an eye on the trailer you are towing.
- Second Camera: In addition, you can turn the unit's AV input into a second camera input for adding a front camera (sold separately).
Note: The rear view camera feature is meant as a back-up aid only; never solely rely on the rear-view camera when backing-up. In addition to using the rear-view camera, always look behind you to make sure everything is clear when backing up your vehicle.
iDatalink Serial Port: This Pioneer navigation receiver is compatible with the iDatalink Maestro RR (794ADSMRR, sold separately); a web programmable module that will permit the aftermarket Pioneer receiver to work with select Ford/Lincoln/Mercury vehicles that feature the factory SYNC system, select GM vehicles with factory OnStar, select Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep vehicles with U-Connect, select Volkswagens with factory digital amplifier, select Toyota/Scion vehicles, and select Fiat vehicles.
- Retained Features: The Pioneer navigation receiver lets you retain select factory functions. Retained features will vary by vehicle via the iDatalink Maestro RR. Retained proprietary factory systems can include Ford Sync, GM OnStar, and Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep U-Connect. Other retained factory features may include Steering Wheel Controls, Aux Input, USB Port, Hands-Free Bluetooth, Voice Commands, Satellite Radio, Secondary Display, and more.
- Extra Features: In some installations, the iDatalink Maestro RR let you configure the Pioneer receiver's touchscreen monitor to operate interior climate controls and provides extra visual data; such as User Selectable Gauges, Vehicle Info (Tire Pressure/Battery Voltage/Check Engine Codes/Door Ajar Warning), and Visual Park Assist. These extra features will vary by vehicle.
Note: The iDatalink Maestro RR is web programmable, which means you'll need to flash the iDatalink Maestro RR interface module with the correct firmware from iDatalink's website. In addition to flashing the iDatalink Maestro RR module, you'll also need a vehicle specific harness (sold separately). The Pioneer receiver's OEM Setup menu must also be configured with your compatible vehicle's factory system before initial operation.
The Pioneer AVIC-6201NEX Package replaces these items
- maps of United States, Canada, and Puerto Rico, plus 7.9 million points of interest
- works with SiriusXM SXV300 tuner—supports Tune Mix, Traffic & Weather Now, and Sports Flash features
- Apple CarPlay™ compatible; Pandora control for iPhone and Android; MirrorLink compatibility for Android; built-in HD Radio tuner
Q Crutchfield asked: Why did you buy this?
10 questions already asked