About the Pioneer AVIC-8201NEX Package
A big 7" screen for a rear view and smartphone integration
A big 7" screen for a rear view and smartphone integration
Pioneer's AVIC-8201NEX package includes the AVIC-8200NEX receiver and a handy ND-BC8 backup camera. The AVIC-8200NEX is more than just a flagship — it's a powerful multimedia command center, featuring robust phone integration through Apple Car Play™ and Android Auto™, plus an HD Radio™ tuner and other sonic goodies. You'll enjoy using the 7" capacitive touchscreen with its upgraded graphics to get the best possible view of your maps, while the spot-on GPS directions keep you on the right path and away from traffic congestion. And the included rear-view camera gives you an extra set of eyes when it's time to go in reverse.
The Pioneer AVIC-8200NEX's 7" display makes the enhanced junction views with realistic street signs easy on the eyes.
Feast your eyes and fingers on this 7" capacitive touchscreen
Pioneer's multi-touch 7" capacitive touchscreen gives you control of the onscreen action with pinch-to-zoom and other simple finger movements. You can flick your way to the next screen or song instead of using arrow keys on the menu. And the motorized display lets you find the optimum angle for interaction from the driver's seat. The included remote control lets you take charge without leaving fingerprints on the screen.
You'll see everything you need at a glance on Pioneer's info-rich NEX interface, and the intuitive layout makes choosing musical sources a breeze. When you're properly connected, your smartphone's travel-friendly apps will find a good home on the display. It even offers a "Power Off" mode in the source menu for those times when you want a completely dark screen. The receiver's HDMI input means iPhone and Android users both get Pioneer's AppRadio mode for in-dash command of several important apps, and that your phone can more easily be used as an audio or video source.
The AVIC-8200NEX radio stands apart from the rest of the NEX lineup for a few reasons. First is the "natural voice" for spoken directions, which offers a more personable, human-sounding voice to lead the way, but doesn't announce road names like the text-to-speech voices do. You'll also have 3D representations of landmarks and buildings keeping you oriented in urban areas. And enhanced junction views and realistic street signs offer added assurance when it's time for the next maneuver.
Apple CarPlay for car-friendly app use
Once you drive with Apple CarPlay, you will not be able to live without it — that's how easy and safe it is to access select select apps on newer iPhones. Once connected, the receiver shows large icons for functions such as Maps, Phone, Messages, Music, Now Playing, and Podcasts. Several streaming apps — including Pandora® — work within the CarPlay interface as well. Drivers can access these functions by touch or through Siri® voice control. Learn more at www.apple.com/ios/carplay.
Android Auto for smarter phone integration
Android Auto works with a simple one-cable connection between your Android phone and the AVIC-8200NEX receiver. You'll see large icons for many common Android functions and apps on the receiver's screen, accessible via fingertip or voice control. You can pull up Google Maps, your phone's music library, messages, and apps for streaming songs (including Spotify, Pandora, and iHeartRadio) and podcasts without looking at or touching your phone. Android Auto can access your phone's contact info, allowing you to get in touch via hands-free calling or text mesaging. Get more info at www.android.com/auto.
Your Android smartphone will need OS 5.0 (Lollipop) or newer to take advantage of Android Auto, and you'll also need a compatible microUSB cable such as the Pioneer CD-MU200 cable (or a similar microUSB-to-USB cable) to connect the phone to the receiver.
Included back-up camera
Pioneer includes an ND-BC8 rear-view camera with the AVIC-8201NEX package, so you can add safety to your travels right out of the box. You can also connect up to two cameras, so you can see more of what's near your vehicle when getting in and out of tight spots. Need to pull up your rear-view camera in a hurry? A dedicated icon in the source menu gives you instant access.
Stay on the right path while avoiding congestion
A lost driver is an unhappy driver, so count on the AVIC-8200NEX receiver's GPS technology to guide you practically anywhere in the U.S., Canada, and Puerto Rico. You can search for stopping points along your route among the 8 million included points of interest, or mark your own favorite spots for future reference. Built-in live traffic updates alert you to potential delays caused by congestion along your route. For a better look at the map, you can choose the level of map zoom manually. Spoken street names at turns and lane guidance keep you on track, while speed limit warnings help you stay safe.
Bluetooth® for hands-free streaming and communication
Wireless Bluetooth connectivity keeps you in contact with others from the road with hands-free calling. The included external microphone gives your conversations plenty of clarity when you're talking through your compatible phone. And the receiver will work with most phones for wireless streaming audio, thanks to its advanced Hands-Free Profile technology. You'll also get smartphone app control through your devices.
Siri® Eyes Free
In addition, you can use your smartphone voice commands via Siri Eyes Free when the receiver's paired with your phone. You can perform any number of tasks such as making phone calls, hearing and composing texts, getting directions, choosing songs and playlists, and adding reminders with your voice.
A sonic smorgasbord
This Pioneer's also compatible with high-resolution lossless FLAC files, so you can play your music from your thumb drive with maximum fidelity. The built-in 13-band graphic equalizer, Auto EQ, and Time Alignment let you shape the sonic output to suit your tastes. Use the high- and low-pass crossover's adjustable points and slopes for further adjustments, and engage the Advanced Sound Retriever to fill in the missing "gaps" in your compressed music files to restore clarity.
Treats for the eyes
You can check out video from DVDs or other sources on the handsome 7" display when you're parked. You can also tap into video content on your iPod or smartphone with the help of the correct cable (not included). When you're on the road, you can play movies through a rear-seat monitor for your passengers, so they can stay entertained. Dual-zone capability lets you enjoy the radio or another audio source up front while your passengers watch their favorite movies with headphones in the back.
Ready for SiriusXM satellite radio
The AVIC-8200NEX receiver features a connection for an optional satellite radio tuner, so you can enjoy SiriusXM's extensive programming with your subscription. You can listen to your chosen channels no matter where you roam, and take advantage of special features such as alerts when your favorite songs or sports teams are on the air.
Built-in HD Radio tuner
If you're in an area with HD Radio broadcasts, the Pioneer's built-in tuner can pick them up. You'll hear improved fidelity and reception from participating AM/FM stations all over.
Want to keep your car's steering wheel audio controls?
In most cars, you'll need an adapter to retain those controls with this car stereo. Connect a few wires, then program the adapter for your particular car and radio, and you'll retain the convenience of your steering wheel controls. You'll see the adapters that work with your vehicle when you add this receiver to your cart.
iDatalink Maestro lets you keep your factory extras
The AVIC-8200NEX receiver offers compatibility you won't find in many other aftermarket radios, thanks to the iDatalink Maestro module (not included). The module lets you keep factory features in your Chrysler, Ford, GM, Toyota, Fiat, or VW vehicle that you'd otherwise lose when you install a new radio. You'll also be able to check out expanded functionality on the Pioneer's screen, including gauges, climate controls, a distance sensor, and tire pressure and temperature monitors.
If you currently use AppRadio Mode, Pioneer has found that it won't work with iOS 11. They're working on an update, so you may want to keep iOS 10 until that fix is available.
Bluetooth note: Use of this receiver's Bluetooth features will depend upon your phone's Bluetooth capabilities. Learn more in our article explaining Bluetooth profiles.
iPod/smartphone note: If you're going to use your iPod or smartphone with this receiver, be sure to check "Details" for compatibility information.
- DVD/CD receiver with 7" capacitive touchscreen and AM/FM tuner
- includes Pioneer ND-BC8 backup camera
- 129° horizontal and 105° vertical viewing angles
- mounting hardware and 30-foot power/video cable included
- internal amp (14 watts RMS CEA-2006/50 watts peak x 4 channels)
- built-in Bluetooth for hands-free calling and audio streaming
- built-in HD Radio tuner
- remote control
- plays lossless FLAC audio files (up to 192kHz/24-bit) from your flash drive
- fits double-DIN (4" tall) dash openings
- Android Auto compatible
- Apple CarPlay compatible
- AppRadio Mode for easy access to apps on the touchscreen
- built-in iPod, iPhone, and iPad control (see Details for model compatibility)
- Siri Eyes Free control with iPhone 4s and newer
- Pandora control through iPhone and Android
- maps of United States, Canada, and Puerto Rico, plus 7.9 million points of interest
- free traffic updates in major metropolitan areas
- text-to-speech announces actual street names at turns
- natural voice directions
- lane guidance
- 3D representations of select buildings and landmarks
- enhanced junction views with realistic street signs
- speed limit warnings
- manual map zoom
- plays CDs, DVDs, and USB drives (see Details for full capabilities)
- 13-band graphic EQ with Easy EQ preset equalizer
- Auto EQ with Time Alignment (optional CD-MC20 mic required)
- low- and high-pass filters with adjustable crossover points
- Advanced Sound Retriever enhances compressed digital files
- Pioneer MIXTRAX technology creates nonstop mixes and adds effects to digital tracks
- dual-zone A/V output
- works with SiriusXM SXV300 tuner — supports Tune Mix, Traffic & Weather Now, and Sports Flash features
- inputs: HDMI input; dual rear USB inputs; 2 rear A/V inputs; two camera inputs
- outputs: 6-channel preamp outputs (4-volt front, rear, subwoofer); composite video output
- CEA-2006 compliant
- compatible with most factory steering wheel audio controls (adapter required)
- compatible with iDatalink Maestro module
- retains select factory features in your Chrysler, Ford, GM, Toyota, Fiat, or VW vehicle
- displays engine performance and other vehicle data on touchscreen
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # AVIC-8201NEX
What's in the box:
- Pioneer AVIC-8200NEX:
- Navigation receiver w/ motorized 6.95" touchscreen monitor (10A fuse)
- Wiring harness
- Remote control (CD-R33)
- CR2025 3V lithium battery (installed in remote)
- GPS antenna (attached 11.5' cable)
- Self-adhesive square
- 58" USB-A extension cable
- Microphone w/ visor-bracket (attached 13' cable terminated by a right-angle 2.5mm connector)
- 6.5' Stereo minijack extension cable
- Two-sided tape
- 6 Pan-head ISO screws (M5 x 6mm)
- 6 Flat-head ISO screws (M5 x 6mm)
- Owner's Manual on CD-ROM
- Quick Start Guide
- Installation Manual
- Important Information for the User
- Warranty Information
- Notice to customer with Apple CarPlay-compatible devices
- Online Product Registration
- Important Notice concerning AVICSYNC Support
- Notes on Using a USB Type-C Phone
- Pioneer ND-BC8:
- Rear-view camera w/ bracket (attached 9' power/video cable)
- 23' Backup camera harness
- 6 Self-adhesive clamps
- Rubber wedge
- Owner's Manual
Pioneer AVIC-8201NEX Package reviews
After 1 year and 1 week the GPS went out on the radio. I tried changing the antenna but it still didn't help. Now I can't set the time or date as that comes from the GPS data. Other than that I love the radio.
0 of 0 found this helpful
This is a great headunit!! Nice n ckean looking install!! I haven't used all the MANY features yet but I can't wait though!!!
Pros: Feature RICH headunit!!
Cons: A and little pricey but worth it!!!!
0 of 0 found this helpful
I love this receiver. Is easy to get from area to another what's in the system and they have really streamlined it. Awesome EQ and I love the overall fit and look of the stereo itself. Navigation is easy to use
Pros: Great price ease-of-use nice expandability
Cons: I didn't get it sooner
0 of 0 found this helpful
Amazing product installed it on my 2008 GMC Sierra
0 of 0 found this helpful
This was a replacement for a 2012 Kenwood DNN990HD which was horrible and crashed, locked up and finally bricked itself more than once and sent in for repair 3 times the last time was the last straw. This radio boots very quickly compared to the Kenwood, 12 sec compared to 58 sec. It has had 2 issues with the boot this week. It got to the loading screen then just went blank. Not sure what happened but I had to shut the car off and back on to reboot. Apple Car Play is nice, works real well and I like it reading the texts and the ability to respond. The GPS system is really not very intuitive compared to the Garmin on the Kenwood. It seems to never stop navigating after you arrive. You either have to tell it to stop or turn off the unit to stop. The main navigation screen is only accessible after you hit the home button. if you are using Apple play and want to switch to navigation you have to first hit the home button then press Map. The Map button will not bring you directly to the map, kind of stupid. The controls and displays are a little clunky and in order to put a new destination in you have to enter multiple screens and acknowledge to start instead of just hitting a saved location and it starting. There is an app called "Avicsync". It is completely useless. The app is free but no maps are included or data unless you pay Based on the fact it is more reliable than the Kenwood (i will never buy a kenwood again) it is find but they still have
Pros: More reliable than kenwood. Love the Apple play
Cons: Nav clunkly, They have nothing on Garmin. Avicsync is a useless app and you have to pay extra to use the maps and data. You might as well throw your money out the window. completely useless APP.
0 of 0 found this helpful
Did all that I wanted and more. Straight-forward installation with Crutchfield's instructions and information.
Pros: Easy Installation. All the features I wanted.
Cons: None discovered.
0 of 0 found this helpful
Purchased this and installed in 2017 Jeep Willys Wrangler JK along with 4 Polk speakers, Kicker powered sub and an MB Quart 4 channel amp. Significant upgrade to stock base sound system! Glad I had Crutchfield do the pre-wiring of all the harnesses, well worth the money. Received great customer service while I was installing, of course, had a couple questions! Sales person really knowledgeable as I walked through what I wanted to do. Everything I needed arrived in a couple days, earlier than expected! Prices were comparable given the support and including everything I needed. Would definitely buy from Crutchfield again!
0 of 0 found this helpful
Stereo does everything it says and more. It would be nice if Pioneer made the AvicSync program a little more intuitive and easier to connect to the system via USB. It works well, but there is very little documentation regarding this valuable program. Otherwise the radio works wonderfully.
Pros: Perfect fit. Sounds so much better than stock while still using stock speakers and wiring.
Cons: AvicSync is difficult to understand. Pioneer gives very little helpful info. Their online YouTube vids have no narrative so you're still on your own.
0 of 0 found this helpful
This is a nice head unit so far. The backup camera resolution is okay, but it could be better.
Pros: Screen options, satellite radio (if you purchase the receiver), Bluetooth calling, backup assist guidelines can be manually ajusted
Cons: The backup camera resolution is just okay and the backup assist guidelines are fixed and don't measure/show actual distance on screen
0 of 0 found this helpful
This stereo is awesome. All of the bells and whistles you can ask for.
0 of 0 found this helpful
I love this thing it works great
Pros: everything worked with almost right off the bate
1 of 1 found this helpful
0 of 0 found this helpful
The stereo looks great and the rear view camera is smaller then expected which is good easier to hide it.
0 of 0 found this helpful
Crutchfield installed the radio in my Chevy 2005 Pickup. I am still learning the features,it has been in the truck about a week and the installation was well done. Thanks Crutchfield
0 of 0 found this helpful
0 of 0 found this helpful
very nice fit and looks beautiful also everything works just the way I want
Pros: works great fits perfect and the camera is awesome
Cons: no complaints from me
0 of 0 found this helpful
Great radio with lots of features. The installation instructions are a bit lacking as it lists a very simple, two speaker installation (front and back, left and right) but getting the iDatalink harness to allow OEM system control from the steering wheel is the way to go...plus much better and more detailed install instructions. The only issues were the wiring of the speed sensor (the pink wire) was too short in the harness requiring the harness to be soldered with a bend to it in order for the wires to be able to be connected. The other issue was with the iDatalink website and downloading of the vehicle specific info into the module. Took several tries to get it loaded but once it did, everything worked as advertised. Made a call to Crutchfield for some help figuring out all the wiring adapters and naturally they came through! Love all the features of the Pioneer AVIC-8201NEX! Big upgrade for the factory radio!
0 of 0 found this helpful
I ordered the custom wire harness with the pioneer 8201 nex and everything plugged in and worked great! The Bluetooth is seamless and my phone is as clear as I have ever heard.... Ever! I'm still learning how to use all the features.... I've only had it installed about 2 weeks now and I mostly drive to and from work about a half an hour each way so it's gonna take a little time but the sound quality and reception is fantastic.... I live and work in the Colorado Rockies and the stock radio in my 06 Duramax stuggled as many in that class do. Enough said... I love this unit and the whole Crutchfield experience!
Pros: All the installation info and the available tech support
Cons: Can't think of any
3 of 3 found this helpful
To keep it simple. The radio is amazing! And I was pleasantly surprised to see the camera it comes with was good quality as well.
2 of 2 found this helpful
1 of 3 found this helpful
Crutchfield was great, I had some questions about where to connect some wires. I called and they emailed me photos of exactly where to connect.
3 of 3 found this helpful
It was the perfect fit. The extra add on such as the harness and device to keep your steering wheel control worked and was definitely worth the extra spurge because the part separately cost more than buying the bundle.
2 of 2 found this helpful
Looking back now, I wish I had just done the double DIN conversion in my GM truck and bought this radio in the first place. I already have one in my Honda Accord and LOVE it. This one comes with a back up camera, and might install it in the Honda Accord, don't really have any backing issues in the truck. Works perfectly with Apple Car Play, HD radio, nice NAV system, capacitive-sensitive touch screen (like an iPhone) & more than enough features to satisfy the average person. This was an upgrade from a Pioneer AVH-3300NEX, which was a malfunction junction, but major kuddos to Crutchfield's awesome customer support for taking care of me. This was a nice deal too at the current price. Yeah, this is a 2016 model, but who cares? I guess Pioneer's philosophy is, if it ain't broke, don't fix it! It also integrates perfectly with the Pioneer steering wheel thumb remote. Thank you again Crutchfield, for looking out for your customer's satisfaction & standing behind the products that you sell.
Pros: HD radio, Apple Car Play, WVGA resolution, SQ, 4-Volt pre-outs on all channels, well laid out user interface
Cons: None that I know of....
1 of 1 found this helpful
I wrote on 3/11/18 about this product loved the radio but the mastro didn't work. I still think the wire harness with the mastro is hacked but after 3 weekend on the phone with customer support I got Cliff, he helped me fix what was wrong in less then 10 min and it works fine
4 of 4 found this helpful
Installed it in my 2013 Fiat... it is wonderful! Handles bluetooth well, plays movies, Apple Car Play and even better it has an HDMI I can hook up to my iPhone and play Netflix, videos etc! Clear screen, fast touch response. You can tilt the screen so you can see better when the sun is bright. If you hook up Maestro to it you can see your tire pressure, doors that are open, all sorts of gauges like oil pressure etc.
Pros: Responsive touch screen, able to play Netflix, has Apple Car Play, great sound, ability to do all sorts of things with!
Cons: I hate the external microphone... but it has good sound.
3 of 4 found this helpful
Great sound, great screen, pairs with IPhone and Pandora seamlessly, back up camera clear. The Ford shaker system subs sound better with the pioneer head.
Pros: Sound and video performance
Cons: None yet, new installation.
2 of 2 found this helpful
This Pioneer does everything and more! I have had infinity systems in my Sequoia's and I didn't know what to expect from this system. I am so happy and the jeep now rocks top on or top off!
Pros: Does everything we needed. Nav, Back up, Gauges. With the suggestion and "Ready Kits from Crutchfield it went great. We bought the Sirius addition, the "Ready Harness", the dash Metra kit, and the Idata maestero and we kept all the functions for the Jeep. Great job to Pioneer and Crutchfield.
Cons: We ended up with one cable that we couldn't find where to connect it or any instructions on where it goes. It ended up being a connection for your gauges, but we are fine not seeing those on the unit. They all show on the dash.
2 of 2 found this helpful
Installed this in my 2005 Mustang. Easy to install and fits perfect. Lots of options and settings. Nice to be able to use Android Auto and still able to change radio stations or change tracks when using SD card or USB drive without exiting Android Auto or maps. I use Pixel 2XL phone. Setup for phone was just plugging in the USB cable to phone. For easier wiring and installation I would recommend the PAC C2R-FRD1 for the 2005 Ford Mustang. I don't know why Crutchfield removed this from the recommendation. When you are listening to radio, it shows you what street you are on. When you are in Maps It shows you what station and song you are listening on the lower part of the screen. I tried anther brand and came back to Pioneer. I was very disappointed with the other brand and very happy with Pioneer and will be sticking with Pioneer with my next upgrade / purchase. Able to update local maps within 45 days of installing your radio.
Pros: Display Clear and Colorful, Plays FLAC files, Starts music and backup camera while loading software, 2 media Players, Options for 2 Camera - Front and Back, Lots of ways to customize back group and splash screens, Lots of settings, Usability of the unit.
Cons: Display picks up reflection in day light. Brightness doesn't seem to have a big range
3 of 3 found this helpful
Pros: I was able to retain my DVD player In the rear. Better sound Quality picture
Cons: Source controls the head unit Not able to separate rear from head The way my factory setting was. Also lost some functions on my steering wheel.
2 of 3 found this helpful
The radio and nav system is great. They sell you an iDatalink Maestro Interface Module system so your factory controls will work, you can also buy the wire harness for this Maestro, don't waste your time or money it don' work. I have spent 2 weekends trying and calling customer tech and it still don't work. Maestro has a tech line but it is only open monday thru friday 9-5. Well I have a job and can't be working on my truck during those hours. My truck is a 2016 F-250 crew with sync. And the way they make up the harness is child like. All the butt connectors in one area makes it hard to position in the dash. It should of been soldered like a professional. Again the adapter, IE Mastro and wire harness is junk and even Crutchfield don't know how to fix it. I am surprised they would use such a hack company. I have bought several different radios and nav systems in the past and had no trouble with the install. Never again will I waste my money on the Maestro junk.
2 of 3 found this helpful
Amazing product. Fit and function are top notch. Display is crisp and clear. The second camera input is great for having a front view camera with a big truck, especially when parking. Navigation is great, easy to use, and works quite well where we live. There are a lot of unmarked dirt/gravel roads, and they are all on the maps. The adjustability of settings on this head unit is incredible, it can be tailored to your specific taste. Very satisfied, would definitely recommend to anyone. The staff at Crutchfield was very helpful in walking me through the install.
Pros: Great GPS, very adjustable/tunable, clear/crisp display, easily added onto (other cameras, video outputs)
Cons: Haven't found any.
4 of 5 found this helpful
Nice unit, sounds way better than the stock unit in my Jeep Wrangler. The Equalization helps the sound a bunch. Backup camera works great. Easy to switch between sources. In a Jeep, the dash mounting is more flimsy than stock. On a Jeep Wrangler, the Uconnect needs to be turned off for the phone to pair correctly (this is done in the Pioneer settings). Crutchfield tech support was awesome.
Pros: great sounding unit, good power in stock form, nice big, very responsive front panel
Cons: Jeep Wrangler rear dash mounting from stock unit has to be removed, with padding it just sits on the vent ducts in back, not as sturdy as I would like.
6 of 6 found this helpful
The first one I received was very glitchy with CarPlay. Crutchfield was great and sent a replacement which is working amazing! I love the capacitive touch glass screen. Much cleaner looking than a plastic coated screen.
Pros: Sound Screen CD/DVD CarPlay Glass Screen
3 of 3 found this helpful
Just finished the install in my '09 Tacoma. So far I like it, no issues, screen is excellently responsive, GPS seems to work as expected and BT connection is great for hands free talking. Power up sequence for the radio is quick, but the Nav takes about 45 seconds to come alive. It would be nice if the amp pre-outs were on a connector though, the cords and connectors take up a lot of space behind the unit.
5 of 5 found this helpful
Crutchfield is the hands down best source for top notch products and the best customer service!!! I purchased the Avic-8201nex package with everything I needed for the install, what a great service they offer for Pre wiring your harnesses for a quick clean install. All I had to splice in were 4 wires to utilize the factory backup camera, everything else was plug and play. The install and set up was a piece of cake in my 2012 Tundra. I've included a picture of the unit installed as well as a helpful pic for those tundra owners with the non JBL system that want to hide the nav antenna. With the radio out, pop the plastic center speaker grille out of the dash and cut a piece of plastic to fit over the speaker cut out and secure it to the speaker mounting holes. It works great and looks super clean. The Avic-8201nex is an awesome unit with an amazing array of slick useful features. The only reason I didn't give it a full 5 star rating is because I haven't had the opportunity yet to put it through all of its paces in real time.
Pros: So many useful features, super easy interface, phenomenal customer service/support.
Cons: Nothing to speak of, so far, so good.
6 of 8 found this helpful
I love the pioneer 8201 nex it's way better than my factory radio
1 of 4 found this helpful
Perfect! I'm looking to replace my radio in my 2006 catty CT's!
0 of 4 found this helpful
Head unit works and looks great! Easy to use, and has all the functions i was looking for. Back up cam works great. Installed it on my truck camper and wired it so i can also use it as a rear view mirror. The touch screen works just like my phone glad i went with the avic 8201. Crutchfield was very easy to work with. I had a few question on the install and how to hook the back up cam to the camper and keep it easy to disconnect. They were very helpful, knowledgeable, and quick to respond. My next purchase will only be through crutchfield!
Pros: Two finger touch screen acts like a cell phone, easy to use, unit works flawlessly as if it came from factory with the truck
Cons: None so far
2 of 2 found this helpful
Crutchfield makes every effort to satisfy customer needs. The Metra dash kits are flimsy plastic. Metal cages should be available/offered. The pioneer 8201nex is pioneers top of the line nav unit and so far, i have found it to perform far superior to the oem deck that was installed. Im still learning all of its abilities. I do think Crutchfield should offer usb/hdmi extension hardpoint ports for these types of units. The usb and hdmi ports are in the rear of the unit so installing or upgrading your phones wired connectivity could be less repetitive. The included rear backup camera was a deal breaker against other models. One of the primary reasons for upgrading was I had been considering a backup camera to prevent mishaps of all sorts including hitching my trailer. Camera view is nice and the head unit automatically switches to camera mode in reverse. This accomplished through the gm11 interface im sure. The interface retains all your oem options like steering wheel controls. Save yourself ALOT of disappointment. Buy the interface. Youll save alot of time too. Let Crutchfield prewire it. The unit being on sale made it a nobrainer. Just get a better dash kit Crutchfield. Youll have a 5 star complete package.
Pros: Motorized head. Full compatibility Great sound. Hands free phone Appleplay. Navigation Great price Pioneer quality
Cons: Plastic dash kit
4 of 4 found this helpful
Works great. Excellent sound quality.
Pros: Great sound quality.
1 of 5 found this helpful
Ridiculous! This unit has sooo many features. I have a 2012 WRX with the standard Odometer, RPM, Water Temp and fuel gauge. This unit has gauges for stuff I didn't know my car had. Intake temp, exhaust gas temp, instant mpg, miles til empty, RPM, load, throttle position and so on and so on. I've only owned this unit for a couple of weeks and still don't know all of the features. Easy to navigate around the unit, super user-friendly! I haven't researched too many other units but the ones I have hold nothing to this one. EVERY supplier should take lessons on Crutchfield's customer service!
Pros: Beautiful, Easy to use, Many Featurs, Fast touch screen as close to a amart phone as you can get.
Cons: A touch slow loading on start up. It is a computer so that isn't such a con.
6 of 7 found this helpful
Very nice unit. It has every feature any one could possible think they would need; you could say it does it all.
Pros: Many, many options. Nice screen and EQ. Just so much more than a standard OEM radio on my Nissan.
Cons: NAV & Map is a little slow in loading.
1 of 3 found this helpful
Awesome haven't had any problems with this product.
Cons: None so far
0 of 4 found this helpful
Bought this system based on the reviews on Crutchfield and elsewhere (both customer and employee) Am very happy with the system except for the fact that Hands-Free functions do not appear to work unless your phone is physically connected to the internet and your phone has an internet connection, hence the dropping one star in the rating. Everything else is great... GPS, sound, integration into my 2013 Jeep Wrangler (it doesn't look like an after-market install) and the cost compared to the Alpine systems offered through the dealer (yeah, right)
Pros: Back-up camera GPS is great Exceptional screen resolution
Cons: Hand-Free doesn't appear to be functional unless you have internet connection
2 of 3 found this helpful
Totally AWESOME!!! Even better than I expected! Pioneer thought of everything! Pioneer and Crutchfield ROCK!! A very happy customer, James W.
1 of 7 found this helpful
Nice unit (AVIC-8200NEX) but has failed 3 times (twice navi maps and once power supply). At the Pioneer repair service now to confirm latest failure then hopefully I will get a new replacement. The features and sound are good. The connection with Siri is spotty. The built in naviextra maps and utilities are poor quality.
Pros: Apple CarPlay and Android Auto Nice sound Nice screen
Cons: Siri connection spotty Naviextras maps and utils are poor quality Poor repair history
4 of 5 found this helpful
The AVIC-8201 has it all , but a few things to consider before purchasing. 1)Does your phone support MHL, My phone the Samsung S7, does not. So app radio would not work with the CD-AH200 cables offered by Pioneer. There was not a lot of documentation on how to make App-radio work with my phone. So purchased the AH200 cables only to find out I could not use them. I had to purchase a Miracast dongle with WIFI to Mirror my Screen and it's not as stable as a cable. 2)Although this has 2 USB ports. Only one can be used with Android and one with IPhone. So if your trying to connect two phones at ones they both can't be the same OS. 3)You have to change the USB/HDMI setting each time you want to switch between, Android Auto, ActiveSync, or app-raido. Read the manual to understand how this works for your phone before making the purchase. 4) The SD card/USB stick needs to be fat32 for the head unit to read it. Windows only allows format to Fat32 up to 32GB removable drives. I was able to get a 128GB SD card to work but needed 3rd party utility to format past the 32gb limitations. 5) Took almost a week getting the maps and setting in place as the unit ships with maps from 2014. You are allowed one free upgrade in the 1st 90 day of turning on the head unit. After that you have to pay for map updates and other online services. I'm happy with my purchase, but it was a long learning curve to get everything up to date and working with my phon
Pros: This head unit has everything.
Cons: I'm happy with my purchase, but it was a long learning curve to get everything up to date and working with my phone. For the price of the head-unit. the Auto EQ mic should have been included with the package and not a separate purchase
24 of 25 found this helpful
Overall a nice product, but I am returning it because it does not have the Spotify app. This is deceiving on the Pioneer website because if you compare this unit with the 7200, the 8200 has the Spotify box checked while the 7200 does not. Also Pioneer's lower end units like the AVH-X4800BS do have the app. Why would their flagship model not have it?? It will support Spotify through Android auto or Apple Carplay with your phone plugged in, but does not have the App so you can use it wireless. It does have the Pandora App, but who uses Pandora anymore? It also does not support the use of steering wheel controls through idatalink and a wired remote through the W/R port simultaneously. I know this is not a very common use, but I am using it in a sprinter van with steering wheel controls and a wired remote in the back living space. I have exchanged for the Kenwood dnx893s because it has everything this unit has, as well as Spotify and dual control support.
Pros: Everything else on the unit is great and looks really clean and nice. Easy to use.
Cons: No Spotify App, even though Pioneer site says it does. Not capable of handling dual wired remote control.
12 of 17 found this helpful
This unit is top of the line, very happy, performs better than expected.
Pros: Capacitive screen and lots of fine tuning options
Cons: USB2 for Android auto USB1 for firmware updates. Wish USB1 worked for both. Not a deal breaker.
2 of 6 found this helpful
I have the 8100 in my other truck. This was a a perfect upgrade for my newer vehicle. It functions just like the other one but includes all of the vehicle capable features. The main thing I would like to comment about is how awesome Crutcfield has been through this process. I originally ordered a different high end brand. I had multiple issues with the interface of that unit. Crutcfield was awesome help! They sent a replacement unit, and I still experienced the same issue. They then upgraded me to the 8201, no question! You may find things cheaper, but you will not find better customer service! All the issues that I had with the interface of the other companies unit, disappeared with the Pioneer! Also, both of the units are said not to fit in my 2012 Silverado. It took 5 minutes of light filing on the plastic faceplate that comes from Crutcfield to allow the faceplate to open. You can't see the filing as it is on the bottom side of the faceplate opening.
Pros: Everything worked as soon as I plugged it in!
Cons: None so far!
8 of 10 found this helpful
This is a great Navigation Head Unit. Many features. Love the Fact that through iDataLink you can connect to your vehicle for PID information.
Pros: Many options, Camera Included. Works Great
Cons: None so far.
3 of 6 found this helpful
love this product , item is everything and more than expected
Pros: MANY OPTIONS
2 of 33 found this helpful
Just installed this radio and love It! Clear picture, Navagation is easy to use and the EXTRA functions are usefull.
Pros: Easy to navigate, works with Galaxy S7 Edge and Apple 7
8 of 10 found this helpful
Everything works and looks great controls are easy to use sound is nice gps works great DVD playback is awesome
Pros: Everything works and looks great controls are easy to use sound is nice gps works great DVD playback is awesome
Cons: Gps takes a little long to load
11 of 11 found this helpful
Love this head unit. It definitely is just want I needed. Now I have everything I wanted my radio to do.
Pros: Great sound, the navigation works great and having all the bells and whistles is nice.
Cons: None so far.
8 of 8 found this helpful
This has everything. Apple Carplay is awesome and the navigation is second to none.
8 of 11 found this helpful
This head unit was the focal point of my entire installation for a 2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited. Given the dealership alternative (Alpine Semi-premium *laugh) was $3000+, I figured why not save money without sacrificing features and still get a much higher quality system. The Pioneer AVIC-8200NEX was (at the time of this review) the latest in their line of head units. Equipped with Navigation, Bluetooth, Sirius XM, Reverse Camera, Hands-free Calling, RCA Outputs, and some other nice perks, it was a win-win. Installation was fairly straight forward, although there were a few times where reading the manual was equivalent to diffusing a bomb...figuring what wires went where; albeit, Crutchfield tech support was always a click/call away. The head unit comes packed with features (and wires to back it), but provided for a fairly clean install and a really nice UI/UX. A couple of key things I learned from this build: To replace a Jeep JK factory radio (equipped with Bluetooth, Nav, and SiriusXM) you'll need: - iDatalink Maestro ADS-MRR (Item #794ADSMRR) - iDatalink HRN-RR-CH1 Install Harness (Item #794HRRCH1) - Euro Antenna Adapter (Item #12040EU10) - SiriusXM SXV300V1 Tuner (Item # 220SXV300) The only hiccup in the install was a bluetooth connection issue when using auto-connect and hands-free. This was solved by swapping the default device from OEM to the head unit (thank you Crutchfield tech support for solving that one!). All in all this is an
Pros: - Bluetooth (Audio and Hands-free) - Connections (RCA, Front, Rear, SW) - Reverse Camera (RCA) - Hands-free calling (use the included adapter and not your vehicle's for better quality) - Sirius XM Hookup (You'll need item # 220SXV300) - Packed with features - Simple UI - Navigation
Cons: - The manual can be a bit challenging at times...but not entirely unreadable - For tight install spaces, be sure to wrap your cords to prevent blocking the exhaust fan on the head unit - Bluetooth connectivity was buggy at first, but later fixed after changing a few settings on the iMiestro
41 of 41 found this helpful
Installed this in my new (to me) 2012 Jeep JK. Amazing features and very easy to use. Can't recommend this unit enough.
Pros: Great features Ease of use Apple carplay
9 of 13 found this helpful
More details on the Pioneer AVIC-8201NEX Package
Features & specs
|AUX Input||Mini (rear),RCA (rear)|
|Audio/video Input||HDMI (rear), Mini (rear), RCA (rear)|
|USB Input||Rear (2)|
|Backup Camera Input||Yes|
|Second Camera Input||Yes|
|Memory Card Slot||USB, SD/SDHC|
|Satellite Radio Ready||SiriusXM 3.0|
|RMS Power (CTA-2006)||14 watts|
|RMS Power (Manufacturer)||22 watts|
|Peak Output||50 watts|
|RMS Power Bandwidth||20-20kHz|
|Sub Preamp Outputs||Yes|
|Switchable Rear Preamp Outputs||No|
|Preamp Voltage||4 volts|
|Key Button Color||Variable|
|Steering Wheel Control Compatible||Adapter required|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
|FM Sensitivity||11 dBf|
|Radio Data System||Yes|
Touchscreen & Remote Control
CarPlay & Android Auto
AppRadio + AppRadioLive
iPod/iPhone Music Playback
Audio & DSP Section
AV + OEM Connectivity
Motorized 6.95" Capacitive LCD Touchscreen: The Pioneer AVIC-8201NEX features a 6.95" (16:9) capacitive LCD touchscreen monitor with a resolution of 800 x 480 (RGB); for a total of 1,152,000 pixels. The capacitive LCD touchscreen is highly responsive, powerful, and very intuitive for exceptional control. The capacitive touchscreen offers multi-touch gestures like pinch-to-zoom, plus simple swipe & scroll controls; similar to your smartphone's touchscreen interface. From the touchscreen you'll not only be able to control the head unit, but also a paired Bluetooth device, or a connected component such as your iPod/iPhone or Android smartphone. Menus will appear on screen for making function choices, audio adjustments, and setting up the system. The unit's touchscreen display is motorized; it electronically slides down to load and eject your DVD/CD discs. The angle of the motorized touchscreen display can also be adjusted to five different positions to meet your viewing needs in the car.
- Favorites: You can register the desired menu items on the AVIC-8201NEX's "Favorites" menu screen. Registering your favorite menu items allows you to quickly jump to the registered menu item by a simple touch on the favorites menu. Up to 12 menu items can be registered as a "Favorite".
- OSD + Backgrounds: The color of the on-screen display can be set to red, amber, green, blue or white. The background display can be selected from 8 different preset displays for the AV Operation screen and 5 different preset displays for the Top Menu screen. In addition, you can change the background display to other images imported from an external USB device.
- Widescreen Modes: You can choose from the following widescreen modes when playing back video - Full (4:3 picture is enlarged in the horizontal direction only; enabling you to enjoy a 4:3 picture without any omissions), Zoom (4:3 picture is enlarged in the same proportion both vertically and horizontally; ideal for a 16:9 screen), Normal (4:3 picture is displayed as it is).
- Picture Adjustments: You can store numerous video settings for the head unit's video source and rear-view camera; including brightness (adjusts the black intensity), contrast (adjusts contrast) color (adjusts color saturation), temperature (adjust the color temperature), and Dimmer (adjusts brightness).
- Dimmer: To prevent the display from being too bright at night, the display is automatically dimmed when the car's headlights are turned on. The automatic dimmer function only works when the orange/white illumination wire in the wiring harness is connected to the vehicle's headlight circuit.
Note: This unit has a parking brake interlock system that prohibits viewing of video programming and operating certain controls when the vehicle is in motion. In order to watch video on the in-dash monitor, the vehicle must be stopped with the parking brake engaged. The head unit's light green wire must be connected to your vehicle's parking brake detection circuit. The head unit's touchscreen will display "Attention! Viewing of front seat video source while driving is strictly prohibited", if you try to watch a video when your vehicle is in motion.
Start-Up Time: The Pioneer AVIC-8201NEX will turn on to the last source selected or the navigation screen. The unit has a start-up time of approximately 14.1 seconds from OFF to the last Source selected, or a start-up of approximately 37.3 seconds from OFF to the Navigation screen.
Variable Illumination: The AVIC-8201NEX offers custom illumination for the front-panel controls so you can match your vehicle's interior, plus MIXTRAX Illumination for DJ-style illumination in your vehicle.
- Front-Panel Control w/ Custom Illumination: In addition to the touchscreen controls, the unit includes frequently used buttons along the bottom edge of the screen. The color of the button illumination can be set to red, amber, green, blue, white, or scan (constantly cycling through the color spectrum). You can also create a custom color to match your vehicle's interior lighting (112 colors to choose from).
- MIXTRAX Illumination: MIXTRAX features club-style illumination that enhances the mood with a dynamic dance club-like lighting effect. As MIXTRAX begins, lights start pulsing to the beat of the music, adding an extra level of entertainment. Choose among multiple patterns of lighting variations from sound pressure level or low-pass synchronization modes.
Remote Control: The Pioneer AVIC-8201NEX receiver comes with an IR wireless remote control, plus support for factory steering wheel control (adapter sold separately).
- IR Remote: The Pioneer AVIC-8201NEX includes an IR remote control (CD-R33) for wireless operation of the multimedia head unit and your connected devices.
- SWC Input: The head unit features an OEM steering wheel remote control input on the rear of the unit that lets you keep your vehicle's factory radio steering wheel remote controls when used with an optional steering wheel audio control adapter (sold separately).
HERE Navigation: The AVIC-8201NEX offers a comprehensive map database from HERE covering the entire United States (including Alaska & Hawaii), Canada, and Puerto Rico enabling users to route to millions of destinations; including 7.9 Million points of interest (POIs). The map database is stored on the head unit's built in 8GB flash memory.
Note: While the receiver's map database was judged to be as accurate as possible at the time of its release, a map database can never be 100% accurate. Road information that is maintained in the map databases, such as turn restrictions or road names may change over time.
Map Updates: Customers are eligible to update to the latest available map database free of charge during the first 45 days of operation (from the unit's first receipt of an active GPS signal) - after this 45 days there will be a charge to download map updates. To update the map database, visit the Naviextras website to download the Naviextras Toolbox on your computer (requires Windows XP or newer; not compatible with Mac) and USB thumbdrive.
GPS Technology: The AVIC-8201NEX accurately measures your current location by the Global Positioning System, a network of satellites orbiting the earth to give you time and position information. The accuracy of the GPS information depends upon how good the reception is. The unit features a built-in GPS receiver and comes with a GPS antenna. The AVIC-8201NEX also utilizes a speed sensing cable for better accuracy of your vehicle's movement; this wire should always be connected to your vehicle's speed detection circuit.
Note: The navigation receiver took approximately 13.7 seconds to calculate directions from Charlottesville, Virginia to Los Angeles California. It only took 12.1 seconds to calculate directions from Charlottesville, Virginia to Baltimore, Maryland. These tests were done inside the Crutchfield Lab of the Crutchfield Headquarters. Results will vary based on length of calculated route and your surrounding area.
Real-Time Traffic Updates: Partnering with Clear Channel Broadcasting's Total Traffic Network, the built-in traffic tuner provides real-time traffic data for over 90 major cities in North America, including US and Canada. Check your commute route in advance or re-route to your destination to avoid traffic congestion. There is no subscription cost and no annoying on-screen advertisements.
- Road segments affected by traffic incidents are displayed with an alternate color on the map and small symbols above the road show the nature of the incident.
- When traffic information that may affect your route is received, this system will warn you that it is recalculating the route and navigation will continue with a new route that is optimal considering the most up-to-date traffic conditions.
On-Screen Map: The Pioneer AVIC-8201NEX displays a real-time moving map illustrating your current position and intended route. It will show map scale and geographic details such as lakes, rivers, highways, buildings, and towns. Your route is marked with a green line, while your vehicle is indicated by a red arrow on the screen, and checkered flag marks your destination. As you travel the AVIC-8201NEX guides to your destination with arrows on the map and directions at the top of the screen. The map screen will also indicate the distance to your next maneuver. During your calculated route, distance to your final destination, timed need to reach the final destination, and estimated arrival time are all displayed on-screen. You can adjust the following map settings.
- 2D/3D Map Modes (w/ Landmarks): The Pioneer AVIC-8201NEX allows you to view its on-screen map in a 2D (two-dimensional) or 3D (three-dimensional) view. 2D View displays a normal two-dimensional map with North or your direction at the top of map screen. Similar to paper road maps, the 2D mode, shows you streets, roads, and elevation by color. In 3D mode, your direction is at the top of the map screen and you can see the altitude and elevations differences. You can distinguish between valleys, mountains, and elevated roads. In selected cities 3D landmarks and 3D buildings are also displayed on the map, so you can better distinguish the surroundings around you.
- Color Mode: You can switch between daytime and nighttime color modes or let the head unit's software switch between the two mode automatically a few minutes before sunrise and a few minutes after sunset.
Note: The on-screen map offers Smart Zoom. When you approach a turn, the map will zoom in and raise the view angle to let you easily recognize your maneuver at the next junction. If the turn is at a distance, it will zoom out and lower the view angle to be flat so you can see the road in front of you.
Lane Guidance & Signposts: The Pioneer AVIC-8201NEX's navigation map offers helpful lane information and signpost guidance, along with exit service.
- Lane Guidance: When navigation on multilane roads, it is important to take the appropriate lane in order to follow the recommended route. If lane information is available in the map data, the map screen will display the lanes and their directions using small arrows at the bottom of the map. High lighted arrows represent the lanes you need to take.
- Realistic Signposts: Where additional information is available, realistic signposts & road signs substitute arrows. Replications of actual highway signs are displayed at the top of the map further improving driver orientation and navigation.
- Enhanced Junction View: If you are approaching a freeway exit or a complex intersection and the needed information exists, the map is replaced with a 3D view of the junction. The lanes you need to take are displayed with arrows. Realistic signposts & roadsides can also be present, if information is available.
- Exit Services: While navigation a route, you can find gas, food, lodging, and restrooms near upcoming exits along major highways and freeways.
- Tunnel View: When entering a tunnel, the map is replaced with a generic tunnel image so that surface roads and buildings cannot distract you.
Audible Alerts: The Pioneer AVIC-8201NEX offers various audible alerts and functions to help you get to your destination safely.
- Voice Guidance (Text-to-Speech w/ Landmarks): In addition to graphical on-screen directions and maps, the AVIC-8201NEX provides voice guidance and turn-by-turn directions with landmark identification. You can choose a male or female voice in English, French, or Spanish. Some of the voices are capable of text-to-speech, announcing the street names along with the turn directions and identification of landmarks. You can adjust the the voice guidance volume independently from the head unit's main volume.
- Safety Alert: This function can warn you when you approach road safety cameras, school zones, or railroad crossings (if available). You can also add your own alert points. Beeps or the spoken type of alert will be heard when you are approaching of these points.
- Speed Limit Warning: Some maps may contain information about the speed limits of certain road segments. The AVIC-8201NEX provides an audible warning if you exceed the recommended speed limit.
Note: The unit will mute the audio of the other sources during navigation voice-prompts.
Where Am I? & Destination Search: The Where Am I? screen contains information about the current position (or approximately the last known position if GPS reception is not available) and a button to search for POIs and emergency assistance nearby. The Destination Search menu offers search tools to find your destination and play your route.
- Browse Map: Select a point on the map for your destination by touching the screen.
- Address: Input your destination address by house number, street, and city (or county).
- POIs: Search over 7.9 million POIs (points-of interest) by name, near you current location, near your destination, or around a city.
- Favorites (including Home & Work): You can save your favorite addresses and POIs for quicker access the next time you are traveling. You can also save your Home and Work address in your favorites.
- History & Smart History: The places that you have set as destinations in the past are automatically stored for easier access. Smart History suggest these previously used locations as destinations based on your navigation habits, using parameters like the current time of day, the day of week, and the current location.
- Combined Search: You can enter search keywords to find addresses, favorite places, recent destination, and POIs.
- Coordinates: Allows you to search your destination by longitude and latitude values.
Note: Your vehicle must be stopped and the parking brake will need to be engaged to enable certain navigation functions; such as Address search and Coordinates.
Route Calculation: The Pioneer AVIC-8201NEX calculates your route based on your Vehicle Type, Route Method, and Avoidances.
- Vehicle Type: You select what type of vehicle you are driving, so the navigation unit can determine the best route based on your vehicle type (Car, Truck, Emergency, Bus, or Taxi).
- Route Method: You can choose which route method
(Fastest, Shortest, Green, Economical, or Easy) the navigation unit should
use when calculating your route.
- Fastest: give a quick route, if you can travel at or near the speed limit on all roads. Usually the best section for fast and normal cars
- Shortest: gives a route that has the smallest total distance of all possible routes. It can be practical for slow vehicles
- Economical: combines the benefits of Fast and Short; calculates as if it were calculating the Fast route, but it takes other roads as well to save fuel
- Easy: results in a route with fewer turns and no difficult maneuvers
- Avoidances: You can tell the navigation unit to avoid certain types of roads along your calculated route, such as - Highways, Tolls, Carpool/HOV, Unpaved Roads, and/or Ferries.
Detours/Alternatives/Auto Reroute: You can select "Route Alternative" to see the turn-list and map screen of four routes (Fastest/Shortest/Economical/Easy) with the selected route planning parameters, giving you the option to select which route to take. You can also choose to Detour around the road ahead, avoid a specific road, or around a section of the route. If you depart from the original route, the navigation system recalculates the route and provides new directions.
Route Planner + Itinerary w/ Route Simulation: The Route Planner feature lets you built your route using the list of destinations you have chosen. You can modify the list as you like (adding or removing a destination (waypoint), changing a final destination, or setting a new starting position. The Itinerary page displays turn-by-turn instructions for your entire route and the distance between turns. You can preview all the route information and simulate travel along a projected route.
Monitors: The Pioneer AVIC-8201NEX provides a Trip Monitor that contains useful information about your trip and a Fuel Consumption Monitor that helps keep track of fuel mileage.
- Trip Monitor: The Trip Monitor contains useful information about your trip. This information can be saved manually when you reach your destination or automatically along your route. Trip log data includes; Start/End Time, Avg./Max. Speed, Total/Driving/Stopped Time, Total Distance, and Min./Max. Altitude.
- Fuel Consumption Monitor: The Fuel Consumption Monitor helps you keep track of the fuel consumption of your car even if you do not use the navigation system for all your journeys. Set the initial odometer value and then record the distance driven and the amount of fuel whenever you fill up your car. You can also se reminders for regular car maintenance. The Fuel Consumption Monitor's calculations are based only on the information that you provide and not on any data from the vehicle. The fuel mileage displayed is only a reference value and does not guarantee that the fuel mileage displayed can be obtained.
AVICSYNC App: Pioneer's AVICSYNC app provides the ability to access free & subscription-based services, from the application on your USB-connected Apple iPhone (iOS 6.0+) or Bluetooth-paired Android smartphone (OS 4.0+), using the touchscreen display of the navigation receiver in the dash. With a connected smartphone, users can experience a simplified interface for accessing live traffic updates, local POI searches, weather, local gas prices and parking availability and prices.
- Free Services: Free services & features of the AVICSYNC
app include -
- Pedestrian Mode: After disconnecting the smartphone from the navigation receiver, the smartphone app will tell you how to walk to your destination from the car.
- Find Your Parked Car: The smartphone app records the last coordinates at which it was connected to the receiver as the car was being driven, which is useful in case you forgot where you parked your car.
- Data Synchronization: Data synchronization keeps navigation-related data such as planned routes, history, favorites, and saved routes in sync between the smartphone and the receiver, each time they are connected.
- In-App Purchases: You can purchase an online service
package through the in-app shop to expand navigation functionality.
- Search with HERE: Using the Online Search feature, search for the latest online information based on the HERE database for local points of interests.
- Custom Weather: For convenient traveling, check on weather, temperature and wind conditions forecasted at your destination and along the route from the touchscreen display of the receiver.
- Traffic by TomTom: Live traffic information with broad road coverage from Traffic by TomTom provides real-time traffic for faster route planning.
- Fuel Prices from OPIS: This feature shows the available gas station locations around your current position and along the route to your destination and provides information on fuel pricing and distance to fuel stations from your current location.
- Parkopedia: Searching for parking using the Online Parking feature makes it easy to locate available parking from your current position. Additional details such as pricing and availability are provided where available.
Apple CarPlay: The Pioneer AVIC-8201NEX features Apple CarPlay, the smarter and safer way to use your iPhone in the car. The Pioneer AVIC-8201NEX supports Apple CarPlay through your USB-connected iPhone (iOS 7.1+) with Lightning connector. Your iPhone can be connected to the NEX-series head unit's USB-1 port via the included USB extension cable and a Lightning-to-USB cable. Apple CarPlay gives iPhone users an incredibly intuitive way to make calls, use Maps, listen to music, and access messages through Siri voice control and the Pioneer receiver's touchscreen controls.
- Maps: Apple CarPlay brings the power and simplicity of Apple Maps to your dashboard; complete with turn-by-turn direction, traffic conditions, and estimated travel time. You can enter a new destination or choose a favorite or recent destination using the head unit's touchscreen or by simply asking Siri. CarPlay can also predict where you most likely want to go using addresses from your email, text messages, contacts, and calendars.
- Phone & Messages: Via Apple CarPlay, you'll be able to make calls, return missed calls, and listen to voicemails through the Pioneer head receiver. Siri can also help you do all these things. In addition, Siri can send, read, and reply to your text messages for you; so you never have to look at your iPhone while driving.
- Music Library: Through Apple CarPlay, you can access your artists, song, playlists, and iTunes Radio on your iPhone using the Pioneer head unit's touchscreen. Or, just tell Siri what you'd like to listen to. The head unit's touchscreen will display song/artist information, as well as album art in the background.
- Apps: CarPlay also supports additional audio apps that you've downloaded to your iPhone for enjoying music, radio, sports, news, podcasts, & audiobooks. Control them from the head unit's touchscreen just like you would from your iPhone. Apple continues to add more apps to CarPlay. Current supported apps include (fees may apply) -
- Use the included USB extension cable and an "Apple Certified" Lightning-to-USB extension cable (not included) for connection. Any other USB extension cable or non-certified cable can cause CarPlay to malfunction.
- Bluetooth hands-free phone and wireless music streaming cannot be used while Apple CarPlay is being used with a connected iPhone.
Android Auto: The Pioneer NEX receiver supports the Android Auto app for Android smartphones running OS Lollipop (5.0 or newer). Your compatible Android smartphone must be connected to the NEX receiver's rear-panel USB port via the included USB extension cable and your phone's USB cable, plus be paired via Bluetooth (your vehicle's parking brake needs to be engaged to initially setup Android Auto). Android Auto extends the Android platform into your car in a way that's purpose-built for driving and automatically brings you useful information and organizes it into simple on-screen "card-style" pop-ups that appear just when they're needed. It's designed to minimize distraction so you can stay focused on the road ahead. Features of Android Auto include:
- Google Assistant: The Pioneer receiver enhances your Android Auto experience even more by incorporating Google Assistant using the head unit's external microphone and your car speakers for voice command and text-to-speech, which makes using Android Auto and all of its integrated applications fast, easy, and safe. You will need to press the "mic" button or say "OK Google" to activate the Google Assistant. Use the Google Assistant to make a call, send a message, reply to a message, get driving directions, or listen to music.
- Google & Waze Maps: Use Google Maps to get where you're going with on-screen maps, voice-guided navigation, live traffic information, lane guidance, and more. Select your destination by using the head unit's touchscreen or just say where you want to go through the unit's external mic and Google Speech Technology. You can even listen to music from your Android Auto device or other connected source device while using Google Maps. If you prefer, you can switch over to a simpler version of the community-based Waze navigation app (version 4.27 or higher).
- Phone & SMS: With Android Auto you get access to your contacts and messages through the Pioneer NEX receiver while keeping your eyes on the road. Use the unit's external mic and Google Speech Technology to make a phone call, or have your text-messages read aloud to you while you concentrate on the road ahead; you can even reply to texts via voice command.
- Music: Access your Android smartphone's music library through the Pioneer receiver via Google Play Music. You'll be able to browse music like you do on your smartphone with song/artist information display and album art. Use the receiver's touchscreen to select songs or just say what song you want to listen to through the head unit's external mic and Google Speech Technology. You also get access to online music and radio stations from Amazon Music, Pandora, Spotify, iHeart Radio, Slacker Radio, & Tune-In. Music apps include song and station browsing, plus song/artist information and album art or station logo.
- Android smartphones with a USB Type-C connector (including the Pixel) may not function without appropriate USB Type-A to USB Type-C cable. Click here for more details.
- Bluetooth hands-free phone and wireless music streaming cannot be used while Android Auto is being used with a connected Android smartphone.
- Use a USB cable that is under 6' long and avoid using any extension cable other than the one supplied.
Data Plan Required: Your iPhone or Android smartphone will need an active Data Plan account with connection to the Internet via 3G, EDGE, LTE (4G), or WiFi for CarPlay and Android Auto to function. Access to CarPlay and Android Auto's online app services will depend on the availability of a cellular and/or WiFi network for purposes of allowing your iPhone or Android smartphone to connect to the Internet. App services may not be available in all regions.
Smartphone Charging: The Pioneer Receiver's USB connection provides 1.6A of current to power and charge your connected iPhone or Android smartphone during CarPlay or Android Auto. Your vehicle's ignition switch must be set to the 'ACC' or 'On' position. If your mobile device has no initial battery charge, then the head unit will not recognize it.
AppRadio & AppRadioLive Compatibility: The AVIC-8201NEX supports Pioneer's AppRadio & AppRadioLive applications through your compatible Apple iPhone (iOS 9.0+) with Lightning connector or MHL-enabled Android smartphone (OS 4.0+). See below for compatibility and what type of cables are needed.
- Apple iOS Compatibility: Use Apple's Lightning-to-Digital AV Adapter, a Lightning-to-USB cable, and an HDMI cable (all sold separately) to connect your iPhone with Lightning connector (iOS 9.0+) to the AVIC-8201NEX's rear-panel USB-1 port and HDMI input. Your iPhone will also require Bluetooth pairing with the Pioneer receiver.
- Android Compatibility: You will need a MHL adapter box,
microUSB-to-HDMI cable, and a microUSB-to-USB cable (all sold separately) to
connect your compatible MHL-enabled Android smartphone (OS 4.0+) to the
AVIC-8201NEX's rear-panel USB-2 port and HDMI input. Click
here for compatible Android devices. The Samsung Galaxy S3/S4/S5 and
Samsung Note II/II/IV also require an additional Samsung adapter (sold
- The Samsung MHL adapter (EPL-FU10BEBSTD, not sold at Crutchfield) is also needed for the Samsung Galaxy S3 and Note II.
- The Samsung HDMI adapter (EPL-3FHUBEGSTD, not sold at Crutchfield) is also needed for the Samsung Galaxy S4 and Note III.
- The Samsung MHL 2.0 adapter (ET-H10FAUWESTA, not sold at Crutchfield) is also needed for the Samsung Galaxy S5 and Note IV.
Note: Your iPhone or Android phone will need an active Data Plan account with connection to the Internet via 3G, EDGE, LTE (4G), or WiFi. Access to these online AppRadio app services will depend on the availability of a cellular and/or WiFi network for purposes of allowing your iPhone to connect to the Internet. AppRadio apps may not be available in all regions.
AppRadio Mode: The Pioneer AVIC-8201NEX supports Pioneer's AppRadio mode application for iPhone (iOS 7.0+) with Lightning Connector and select MHL-enabled Android smartphones (OS 4.0+). AppRadio offers full on-screen access and control of your smartphone's music, navigation, calendar, contacts, and more with an intuitive interface; formatted and designed specifically for safer in-vehicle operation. Pioneer has also teamed up with various app providers to offer compatibility with many of today's most popular in-vehicle apps, while also developing an expanding catalog of compatible apps for future use that can be easily & seamlessly added. The AppRadio app for iPhone & Android consists of a variety of navigation, music, & utility apps. These integrated application are displayed on the AVIC-8201NEX's LCD touchscreen. You are able to select, view, and even control many of the apps from the Pioneer receiver. Available apps within AppRadio will depend on your type of smartphone (iPhone or Android) and your region.
- Navigation: The following navigation apps can be
utilized within AppRadio. Purchase and Subscription fees may apply for some
- Apple & Google Maps: You can view your iPhone or Android smartphone's Apple or Google maps on the Pioneer head unit's touchscreen as you would on your mobile device.
- Waze: Waze, for iPhone & Android, is a social GPS driving and navigation app that connects you to other drivers. When you download Waze, you not only get a free GPS traffic & navigation app, but also become part of the local driving community in your area, joining forces with other drivers nearby to outsmart traffic, save time and gas, and improve everyone's daily commute.
- INRIX Traffic: INRIX (for iPhone) is a leading provider of highly accurate traffic services. INRIX's strategic partnership with Clear Channel Radio and Total Traffic Network extends the delivery of the highest quality data and broadest coverage available for personal navigation. INRIX Traffic provides real-time traffic information and traffic forecasts for all major highways, interstates, arterials and city streets nationwide. Traffic information will be displayed on the AppRadio, while control is still handled from the iPhone.
- iGO Primo North America: The IGO Primo app (for iPhone) app is powered by the same tried-and-trusted iGO Engine used in millions of GPS navigation devices around the world. The maps are part of the application so there are no roaming fees (no need for cellular network coverage). Highlighted features include; fast, short, easy-to-follow, and green routes, automatic route recalculation, multipoint-route support, smart keyboard & history, TTS Pro, in-app shop, local/POI search, and more.
- Navmii GPS USA: Navmii GPS USA is a free navigation app (for iPhone & Android) that offers turn-by-turn directions, voice and on-screen instructions, offline map use, address search and live search via Google or Microsoft Bing. It uses map data created by a community of thousands of user around the world. The map gets downloaded to the phone, so a data connection is not required.
- Driver Assistant: In addition to navigation apps,
AppRadio offers Driver Assistant apps to help with parking, communication,
and vehicle diagnostic. Purchase and Subscription fees may apply for some
- DashCommand: DashCommand (for iPhone & Android) utilizes the built-in GPS & accelerometer sensors in your phone to provide advanced features such as the skid pad, race track, and inclinometer. A separate OBD-II interface module (sold separately) is required.
- Extra Mile: Extra Mile (for iPhone & Android) is an all-in-one app for convenient voice navigation gives audio feedback to improve your driving performance and conserve fuel.
- Beej!: Beej! (for iPhone) is an in-vehicle location/navigation application. Beej! quickly identifies your position and allows you to select the nearest bank, bar, gas station, hospital, hotel, restaurant and more. Beej! provides a complete list of all the businesses in the category selected, including the distance from your current location and address, with options to get directions or place a call to the selected business.
- Parkopedia: Parkopedia (for iPhone) has grown to cover over 25 million parking spaces in 28 countries around the world thanks to contributions from other drivers. Use this app to find parking using your current location or by entering an address. Get directions straight to the space and see parking space availability in real-time (where available). Find opening hours, up to date prices, payment methods and more. You can quickly narrow down parking choices using filters such as free, credit cards accepted, covered, etc.
- TPMS: The Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) app (for iPhone and Android) automatically monitors pressures and temperatures of tires in real-time. It immediately alerts drivers when there is an abnormal tire pressure through voice alerts and flashing lights.
- Glympse: Glympse (for Android) is the easiest way to safely share your location with someone in real time. No sign-up needed and no new social network to manage. Recipients receive a link allowing them to view your ETA and location in real-time for the length of time you choose. When the timer on your Glympse expires, your location is no longer visible. Best of all, recipients do not need any special software to view a Glympse. Send a Glympse via SMS, email, Facebook or Twitter, and recipients can view it using any web-enabled device.
- Saving Fuel: Saving Fuel (for iPhone) monitors your acceleration, braking cornering, and idling to gather an overall score for each trip. It scores your driving behavior and car health, as well a give you tips to help you drive safely.
- Music: AppRadio mode
gives you access to music stored on your smartphone device and from various
online music services. Purchase and Subscription fees may apply for
- CarMediaPlayer: The CarMediaPlayer app (for iPhone & Android) allows you to swipe and directly touch the desired artist, song, or album in your Android device's music library directly from the Pioneer touchscreen with Alphabet Search and Album View functions. Stored movies and videos can also be accessed through the CarMediaPlayer. Video can only be viewed when the vehicle's parking brake is engaged.
- iHeartAuto Radio: The iHeartAuto Radio app (for iPhone & Android) app offers safe, easy, free access to more than 1,500 live radio stations from across the country. Plus, in the same app you can create custom stations based on your favorite artists or songs. With the top live radio stations in America and more than 15 million songs in our catalog, iHeartAuto features more music, backed by better music programming, than any other service available.
- Mixtrax: Pioneer's proprietary Mixtrax app (for iPhone & Android) analyzes the music in your iTunes library to create custom playlists for non-stop song mixes with added DJ effects.
- 7digital: The 7digital app (for Android) is a leading digital music provider which sells high quality MP3s across 32 countries worldwide. With over 20 million tracks in store, you're sure to find what you're looking for. With this app you can Sync your 7digital music from the cloud to your phone wirelessly, play music that is already stored on your device, and browse top album and track charts, new releases and recommendations right on the screen of this Pioneer navigation receiver.
- StreamS HiFi Radio: The StreamS HiFi Radio app (for iPhone) provides access to more than 4,000 live Internet radio stations from across the globe delivered in AAC/HE-AACv1/HE-AACv2 at 32kbps for high fidelity listening.
- gMusic: The Google Music app (for iPhone) allows you to keep up to 20,000 of your favorite songs in the cloud. Now you can listen to your entire music collection without having to use any space on your iOS device. gMusic offers full playlist editing, thumbs up playlist, metadata editing, and innovative navigation.
- Stezza: The Stezza app (for iPhone) has big buttons for big fingers. Featuring a modern design, playing music has never been safer when driving. Multiple color themes for the fashion conscious, all the usual controls, podcasts, and iTunes Match supported.
- Utility: AppRadio mode
offers additional helpful apps along your commute. Purchase and
Subscription fees may apply for some applications.
- Contacts & Calendar: Access your contacts on your iPhone or Android phone from the Pioneer head unit's touchscreen. You can also access your smartphone's calendar; view important events and reminders.
- Photos: View photos stored on your iPhone or Android device. Access albums and camera rolls and even view a slideshow.
- CarBrowser: The CarBrowser app (for iPhone) allows you to search and navigate the internet directly from the Pioneer head unit's touchscreen while the vehicle's parking brake is engaged.
- Commute WX: The Commute WX app (for iPhone) provides real-time weather information (current/forecast/in-route). Weather conditions are featured in large, easy to read graphics in a streamlined user interface that's well suited for in-vehicle travel.
- Top Headlines: The Top Headlines app (for iPhone) is an audible news app which lets you listen to the most recent new updates from multiple sources.
- EC Touch: The EasyCar app (for iPhone) is designed specifically for AppRadio and provides large icons, simple commands, and swipe gestures that enable you to access your iPhone's music, contacts, mapping, and more.
- Voice Directory: The Voice Directory app (for Android) is a hands-free app that uses voice to search Yellow Pages' business listings in the US and call the phone number directly. Use voice to search for a business near you or by city and state, to search by business name or business type, or to call the business directly.
- CarKeyboard: The CarKeyboard app (for Android) allows you to input text directly from the 6.95" touchscreen display of the Pioneer head unit. CarKeyboard is a customizable multi-language keyboard that works in conjunction with the AppRadio app and can also be used as the default keyboard on your Android device.
Note: Click here to view complete list of compatible AppRadio apps.
AppRadioLive: Within the AppRadio App mode is the AppRadioLive App for iPhone (iOS 9.0+) with Lightning connector and select MHL-enabled Android (OS 4.2+) smartphones. The AppRadioLive app simplifies AppRadio mode and your drive by combining the information you need during your commute into a single, easy-to-use interface. Maps, media, news information, and your events calendar are within reach within a smooth and intuitive interface on the head unit's touchscreen.
- Maps: The AppRadioLive app uses the native maps from your Apple or Android smartphone overlaid with INRIX live traffic data to provide live traffic and incident information to give you an estimated time of arrival at your chosen destination. You can even use Yelp to find points of interest along the way, including restaurant ratings and reviews. The AppRadioLive map feature also allows destinations to b exported directly into any of the user's favorite AppRadio compatible navigation apps; such as iGO Primo (iPhone only), Navfree (iPhone only), and Waze to obtain route and voice guidance.
- Media: AppRadioLive also lets you play your stored music library directly from your smartphone. And, you can access over 25 millions songs from your Rdio account (iPhone only). Or, you can access over 25,000+ radio shows and podcasts from your Stitcher account.
- Events: AppRadioLive lets you stay up to date on the latest news with the help of Feedly and text-to-speech technology. You can check the weather for your current location, home, work, or destination. With text-to-speech technology, the Pioneer receiver will even read you the latest news stories from the internet.
- Calendar: The AppRadioLive app lets you stay organized by accessing your smartphone's calendar and Facebook events in a single, simple interface. With multiple viewing options within its sleek, simple user interface, you can access your smartphone and Facebook calendars in one place, RSVP to Facebook events and use EventSeeker to find nearby concerts and events based on your personal interests and location.
Bluetooth 3.0 + EDR: The AVIC-8201NEX is equipped with built-in Bluetooth (3.0+EDR), allowing you to make and receive phone calls wirelessly through the receiver; as well as stream music wirelessly from your smartphone to the head unit. In order to use Bluetooth wireless technology, your phone must also be Bluetooth compatible and be able to interpret certain profiles. This unit is compatible with the following Bluetooth Profiles:
- Hands-Free Communication: HFP 1.6 (Hands Free Profile), OPP 1.1 (Object Push Profile), PBAB 1.0 (Phone Book Access Profile).
- Audio Streaming: A2DP 1.3 (Advanced Audio Distribution Profile), AVRCP 1.4 (Audio/Video Remote Control Profile).
Note: Due to the differences in Bluetooth technology, some Bluetooth enabled devices may be incompatible, function improperly, or may not support all features when used with the Pioneer AVIC-8201NEX.
SPP (Secure Simple Pairing) w/ Dual Phone Connection: With Secure Simple Pairing (SSP), you can easily pair a Bluetooth enabled phone to the AVIC-8201NEX without having to enter pin codes or go through complicated settings. Once a paired Bluetooth device is in close proximity to the receiver, the auto connection function automatically pairs the two units. Up to 3 Bluetooth-compatible devices (2 phones/1 audio player) can be paired to this head unit. You are even able to keep two Bluetooth-enabled smartphones connected at the same time, so you can switch between phones from the head unit's touchscreen, without having to connect or re-connect devices.
Hands-Free Communication (w/ External Mic): The PioneerAVIC-8201NEX supports wireless hands-free communication for your Bluetooth enabled mobile phone. Thanks to the latest Hands-Free Profile (HFP 1.6) with wideband speech capability, the AVIC-8201NEX provides more natural sound quality and details during wireless calls. The AVIC-8201NEX allows you to carry on a phone conversation from your Bluetooth enabled mobile phone using the head unit's external microphone and your car audio speakers. During a conversation you can adjust the volume, as well as switch between the Private Mode (talking directly on your cell phone) and the Hands Free Mode.
- Answering A Call: During an incoming phone call, the head unit will display the caller's information and an audible ring tone will be heard through your vehicle's speakers. You can manually answer an incoming call or have the unit automatically answer the call.
- Making A Call: The AVIC-8201NEX offers a variety of ways
to make call using the in-dash receiver.
- Direct Dialing: You can make a call by entering the phone number using the head unit's touchscreen keypad.
- Preset Dialing: You can store up to six phone numbers as presets for quicker dialing.
- Phone Book: The phone book (up to 800 contacts) in your Bluetooth enabled mobile phone will be transferred automatically when the phone is paired to this unit. After finding the number you want to call in the phone book from the head unit, you can select the entry and make the call. If a lot of numbers are registered in the phone book, you can search for a phone number by the contact person's name alphabetically.
- Call Log: The 80 most recent calls dialed, received, and missed are stored in memory. You can browse them and call numbers from these lists.
- Voice Dialing (Siri & Google Voice): When paired and connected with an iPhone 4S or later via Bluetooth, the Pioneer head unit has the ability to access Siri through its touchscreen controls and external microphone. It also supports Google Voice for select Android smartphones (not compatible with Samsung "S Voice"). You'll be able to dial a phone number or contact via voice command.
Note: Advanced phone operations that require attention, such as dialing numbers on the touchscreen monitor or adjusting Bluetooth settings, are prohibited while driving. The vehicle's parking brake must be engaged to access these functions.
Wireless Audio Streaming: The Pioneer AVIC-8201NEX also supports wireless audio playback (AD2P) and control (AVRCP) of a Bluetooth enabled audio player or smartphone. The head unit can stream music stored on your Bluetooth enabled device or music apps you have downloaded on your device. When an incoming call or outgoing call is in progress from your Bluetooth enabled mobile phone, audio streaming will be paused so you can take your call.
- Advanced Music Navigation: In addition to basic playback functions (Play/Pause, FF/RW, Skip, Random/Repeat), the AVIC-8201NEX lets you browse your stored music by Playlist, Artist, Album, Song, etc.. (AVRCP 1.4 phones only; which includes Android 4.0+ and iPhone 5.0+).
- Song/Artist Info: The head unit will also display your stored music's and music app's song information; such as Artist name and Song/Album title (app must also support).
Siri Eyes-Free Functionality: When paired and connected to an iPhone (iOS 6.1+) with Siri via Bluetooth, the Pioneer AVIC-8201NEX has the ability to access Siri through its touchscreen and external microphone for Siri Eyes-Free functionality. When activated, Siri voice prompts play through the vehicle's speakers and the user's commands and questions are received and transmitted to the receiver using the external microphone. Siri Eyes-Free provides access to many iPhone Siri functions such as music selection, making phone calls, and audible navigation (map will be displayed on iPhone); as well as listening to text messages, calendar information, and reminders. The head unit's audio is muted while Siri provides audible voice prompts.
Note: The head unit's touchscreen monitor will only indicate hands-free calling and song/artist information (all other functions of Siri are only audible through the Pioneer AVIC-8201NEX; visual data will still need to be viewed from your iPhone device).
iPhone Music Playback w/ DAC Bypass: If you don't desire CarPlay, AppRadio, or AppRadioLive, the Pioneer AVIC-8201NEX also supports music only playback from your Lightning or 30-pin connector iPod/iPhone device through the receiver's USB-1 port (requires a Lightning-to-USB cable or dock-to-USB cable). Your iPod/iPhone's music library to be loaded instantly to the head unit and sound quality to be maximized through the head unit's 24-bit D/A converter (bypassing iPod/iPhone DAC), allowing for a Signal to Noise ratio up to 96dB. The AVIC-8201NEX will playback stored music and music apps on your compatible iPod/iPhone device, provide touchscreen control, and song/artist information display.
Music Control: From the head unit's touchscreen, you can search your iPod/iPhone's audio content by Radio, Playlist, Artist, Album, Song, Podcast, Genre, Composer, or Audiobook. Once you have selected a category, you can search each category alphabetically (A-Z). In addition, the head unit offers Link Search, which allows you to play songs related to the currently playing song. Link Search lets the head unit create an album list of the currently playing artist, a song list of the currently playing album, or an album list of the currently playing genre. You can also select Random & Repeat functions for a certain song or specific folder.
Note: Older iPod/iPhone device's will be locked during connection, but newer Apple devices (iOS 6.0+) will stay unlocked so you can also control the iPod/iPhone from its touchscreen and access apps.
Apple Music Radio: You'll have access to Apple Music Radio from your USB-connected iPhone through the Pioneer navigation receiver. Listen for free to Beats 1, an innovative radio station hosted by the world's best artists and DJs. With an Apple Music Radio subscription, you can explore a wide range of curated radio stations, as well as create stations around your favorite songs or artists. Playback control from the head unit's touchscreen is only offered for Apple Music Radio paid subscribers.
Song/Artist Info & Album Art: The Pioneer receiver supports song/artist information and album art. The head unit will display your iPod/iPhone's stored music information including Track number, Elapsed playing time, Song/Album title, Artist name, and Album art.
Battery Charging: The head unit's USB connection provides 1.6A of current to power and charge your connected iPod/iPhone when your vehicle's ignition switch is set to the 'ACC' or 'On' position. If your iPod/iPhone has no initial battery charge, then the unit will not recognize it.
Apple Device Compatibility Chart: The Pioneer AVIC-8201NEX supports the following iPod/iPhone model functions (as of 3/1/2018):
|Apple Device||Generation||Tested Version||Media Type||Control Type||Specific Apps||Display Type||Bluetooth||Charge|
|Audio||Video||Head Unit||iPod/iPhone||CarPlay|| AppRadio |
|Pandora||Song/Artist||Track Info||Album Art||Phone||Audio||Siri|
Note: Apple iPod/iPhone software updates may change functionality results. If you download a newer software version, you may need to reset the head unit and your iPod/iPhone to regain functionality. If this doesn't work, you may need to wait until a newer software update is available.
Pandora Internet Radio: The free Pandora App (for Apple iOS 9.0+ or Android OS 4.0+) lets you play music from the Pandora music service through the Pioneer AVIC-8201NEX using your USB, Bluetooth, or HDMI+Bluetooth connected Apple iPhone, as well as your Bluetooth or HDMI+Bluetooth connected Android smartphone. Your iPhone or Android smartphone will also need an active Data Plan account with connection to the Internet via 3G, EDGE, LTE (4G), or WiFi. The Pioneer AVIC-8201NEX will provide control over the Pandora music service & display Artist, Album, & Song information; as well as Album art.
- Station List + Presets: You can select Pandora stations from your Station List by date or alphabetically. You can also store six Pandora Radio preset stations for even easier recall.
- New Stations: New stations can be created based on the current songs or artists playing.
- Shuffle: You can also listen to songs played randomly from various stations within your Station List.
- Skip Songs: You can skip song tracks within a station. You cannot skip back to a previous song. Pandora limits the number of skips allowed.
- Thumbs Up/Down: You can give songs a thumbs up or thumbs down to help Pandora personalize stations to suit your preferences.
- Bookmarking: The song/artist currently being played can be bookmarked & stored in your Pandora account.
SiriusXM 3.0 Ready: The Pioneer AVIC-8201NEX is SiriusXM 3.0 Ready so you can listen to commercial-free music, all your favorite sports, exclusive talk and entertainment, comedy, news, traffic, weather, and more. Simply activate a SiriusXM Radio subscription (fees will apply) and connect the SiriusXM Connect Vehicle Tuner (220SXV300, sold separately) to the dedicated port on the rear of the receiver for playback and control of satellite radio. Check out the most popular SiriusXM subscription packages here.
- Channel/Category Lists + Song/Artist/Album Info: The Channel List displays a list of all available channels. The Category List displays all available categories and stations within those categories. Information such as Channel Name, Artist Name, & Song Title can be viewed on the head unit's LCD touchscreen. You also get station logo identification and album art on the display.
- Category Scan + Instant Replay: During Category Scan, the live broadcast for each channel in the current category plays for six seconds at a time. The SiriusXM Instant Replay function lets you pause, rewind, and replay up to 60 minutes of live content from the station that you are currently listening to.
- SmartFavorite Presets + Featured Favorites: You can store up to 18 SiriusXM Satellite Radio Station Presets with special tuning features such as TuneStart, TuneScan, & TuneMix (see below). Featured Favorites are groups of channels that are created by the SiriusXM Programming department allowing to discover new channels. Featured Favorite channels are dynamic and can change often, allowing you to discover new channels.
- TuneStart, TuneScan, & TuneMix: TuneStart automatically start songs from the beginning when you tune to one of your SmartFavorite music channels stored on the current band of presets. TuneScan lets you scan through short previews of songs you may have missed on music channels stored on the current band of SmartFavorite presets. TuneMix plays a unique blend of songs from music channels stored in the current SmartFavorite preset band.
- Traffic, Weather, & Sports: You can tune in and listen quickly to information pertaining to weather and traffic from a particular city you have specified. You can also be alerted when your favorite sports teams are playing so you can tune to the appropriate station quickly.
- Parental Control: The SiriusXM Parental Control feature allows you to control access to channels that you consider inappropriate for younger listeners. When enabled, The Parental Control feature requires you to enter a 4-digit passcode to tune to the locked channels.
Note: A separate SiriusXM Satellite Radio subscription is required (operates on the XM Network). However, you can easily add this SiriusXM tuner to an existing Sirius or XM account for a Multi-Radio Discount Plan.
HD Radio: The Pioneer AVIC-8201NEX's built-in HD Radio tuner lets you listen to the radio with the same fidelity as your digital music. HD Radio features high quality audio, FM multi-casting, and data services. With HD Radio, your FM stations offer near CD-quality sound, AM stations provide FM-like sound, and there is crystal-clear reception with no audio distortion. Best of all, HD Radio is 100% subscription free. The unit's tuner also supports analog AM/FM broadcasts.
- Supertuner IIID: The Supertuner IIID features Feed Forward Control, which avoids multi-path interference. This pre-detection of interference enables quick filter control and results in less distortion. In addition, the Supertuner IIID creates enhanced stereo during multi-path interference, unlike conventional tuners that collapse to mono. Digital processing reduces distortion, and improves Signal-to-Noise Ratio and stereo separation. Advanced analog technology improves signal processing sensitivity.
- Station Text/Album Art + RDS: AM/FM digital stations can offer text and data such as artist names and song titles. The head unit also supports Album Art from select HD Radio stations. For analog FM stations, the Radio Data System (RDS) feature displays radio broadcast information such as song/artist information when listening to compatible RDS FM stations.
- Multicasting: In addition to conventional broadcasts, with HD Radio broadcasting it is possible to choose from up to 3 multicast programs (HD1 to HD3, and analog). There are also data programs for each program.
- Reception Blending: If a digital broadcast reception condition gets poor, this unit automatically switches to the analog broadcast of the same frequency level. If this function is set to "On", the tuner switches between digital broadcast and analog broadcast automatically. If this function is 'Off', reception will be conducted within a digital broadcast.
- BSM (Best Stations Memory): The BSM (Best Stations Memory) function lets you automatically store the six strongest analog or HD stations under preset buttons 1-6 of the currently tuned band. The tuner has 3 FM banks and 1 AM bank. You can store 6 presets for each bank giving you a total of 18 FM presets and 6 AM presets.
- Local Tuning: Local seek tuning lets you tune in only those radio stations with sufficiently strong signals for good reception. There are 4 levels of sensitivity for FM and two levels for AM. The higher settings allow reception of only the strongest stations, while lower settings let you receive progressively weaker stations.
Note: HD Radio is the system for digital AM and FM broadcasting in the U.S. More than 2,000 radio stations are broadcasting their primary signals in digital HD Radio technology, as a free service. Go to www.hdradio.com to check for HD Radio stations in your area.
Compatible Discs: The 6.95" touchscreen display electronically slides down to load and eject your DVD/CD discs. The AVIC-8201NEX supports playback of DVD-Video, DVD-R/RW, CD-Audio, and CD-R/RW discs with music, video, and photo files.
Dual USB Ports: The unit's two rear-panel USB (type-A) ports and 58" USB extension cable allows you to connect a USB Mass Storage Class (MSC) device, such as USB thumbdrive or portable digital music player. The USB port enables playback & control of music, video, and photo files stored on your portable USB MSC device through the Pioneer AVIC-8201NEX. USB devices that can be charged via USB will be charged when plugged into the receiver's USB port (1.6A) and the vehicle's ignition switch is set to ACC or On.
SD Card Slot: The Pioneer AVIC-8201NEX features a hidden SD card slot (located behind the motorized touchscreen monitor) which will accept SD (up to 2GB) and SDHC (up to 32GB) memory cards for playback of a variety of music, video, and photo files.
Compatible Media Files: The Pioneer AVIC-8201NEX supports the following types of audio, video, and photo files recorded onto a disc, USB device, or SD memory card.
|Media Type||Disc: CD (-R/RW), DVD (-R/-RW/-R DL)||Flash Memory: USB MSC, SD/SDHC|
|File System||ISO9660 Level 1 or 2, Romeo, Joliet, UDF||FAT 16/32 or NTFS|
|Playable File Types||Audio|| |
MP3: 8-320kbps bit
rate; 16-48kHz sampling rates
8-320kbps bit rate; 8-48kHz sampling rates |
WMA: 5-320kbps bit rate; 8-48kHz sampling rates
AAC: 8-320kbps bit rate; 8-48kHz sampling rates
WAV: 8-/16-bit rate; 16-44.1kHz sampling rates
FLAC: 24-bit rate; 192kHz sampling rates
Video Files: MPEG 1/2/4, DivX |
Max Resolution: 720 x 1280 (MPEG), 720 x 576 (DivX)
Max Frame Rate: 30 fps
Max File Size: 4GB
Video Files: AVI, ASF, FLV, F4V, MP4, MKV, MOV, WMV, VOB,
Max Resolution: 720 x 480
Max Frame Rate: 30 fps
Max File Size: 4GB
|Photo||N/A||JPEG: max resolution of 8192 x 7680|
|Maximum # of Folders/Files|| |
700 folders/999 files (700 folders/3,500 files for DVD)
|1,500 folders/15,000 files|
|Song Artist Info||MP3 ID3 tags, WMA-tags, AAC-tags, Album Art|
Note: Videos and Photos can only be viewed when the vehicle's parking brake is engaged.
Advanced Playback & Search Functions (for USB & SD/SDHC): Advance playback functions include; Music Browsing which lets you browse your USB & SD/SDHC memory device's music library by Artist, Album, Song, or Genre from the head unit in alphabetical order; and Link Search which allows you to play songs related to the currently playing song. Link Search lets the head unit create an album list of the currently playing artist, a song list of the currently playing album, or an album list of the currently playing genre.
Direct DVD Search: During DVD playback, you can go directly to a specific Title or Chapter by entering the number using the unit's touchscreen numeric keypad.
Parental Lock: This unit features an 8-level Parental Lock system protected by a user-selected 4-digit password to prevent certain DVD's from being played back on the AVIC-8201NEX.
24-Bit/192kHz DAC: The Pioneer AVIC-8201NEX is equipped with a 24-bit/192kHz digital-to-analog converter for superb quality audio playback from disc, USB, iPod/iPhone, Android, and Bluetooth.
MOSFET50 Internal Amplifier: This receiver is equipped with a 50 watts x 4 (peak) MOSFET amplifier for low distortion, high power output. The amplifier is strong enough to power small subwoofers to moderate volume levels in compact cars and pickups. For higher volume levels from subwoofers, an optional amplifier may be connected to the preamp outputs.
- CTA-2006 Specs: 14 watts RMS x 4 channels (at 4 ohms, 20Hz-20kHz, 1% THD-N)
- Continuous Power Output: 22 watts RMS x 4 channels (at 4 ohms, 50Hz-15kHz, 5% THD)
- Maximum Power Output: 50 watts x 4 channels (or 50 watts x 2 channels at 4 ohms + 70 watts x 1 channel at 2 ohms for subwoofer)
Note: The power specifications for the AVIC-8201NEX are compliant with the CTA-2006 Mobile Amplifier Power Testing and Measurement standards from the Consumer Technology Association (CTA). These standards were developed as a way to equitably compare power specs from model to model and between manufacturers.
4V/6CH Preamp Outputs + Sub Control: The Pioneer AVIC-8201NEX features three pair of 4.0-volt preamp outputs (Front/Rear/Subwoofer). The unit's front and rear preamp output can be faded (front/rear), while the subwoofer preamp output is non-fading. The Pioneer AVIC-8201NEX lets you adjust the subwoofer preamp output's phase (normal/reverse) and volume (+6 to -24).
Crossovers: The AVIC-8201NEX employs high pass and low pass crossovers to tailor the head unit to your connected speakers.
- HPF: The head unit's variable 6/12/18db per octave high pass filter only allows frequencies higher than those in the selected range (50, 63, 80, 100, 125, 160, or 200Hz) to your front and rear speakers through the unit's speaker-level or line-level outputs.
- LPF: The subwoofer preamp output features a 6, 12, or 18dB/octave low pass filter so only frequencies lower than those in the selected range (50, 63, 80, 100, 125, 160, or 200Hz) are output to your connected subwoofer.
EEQ (Easy EQ) w/ 13-Band Graphic EQ: There are seven stored equalizer curves which you can easily recall at any time. You can choose from - Powerful, Natural, Vocal, Super Bass, Flat, Custom 1, or Custom 2. The Custom 1 and Custom 2 EQ modes allow you to manually adjust the level (+/- 12dB) of each band of the head unit's 13-band graphic equalizer (50, 80, 125, 200, 315, 500, 800, 1.25k, 2k, 3.15k, 5k, 8k, and 12.5k Hz).
Auto EQ (Optional): The auto-equalizer automatically measures your car's interior acoustic characteristics, and then creates an auto-equalizer curve base on that information. The Pioneer CD-MC20 Auto-EQ microphone (130CDMC20, sold separately) is required to use this function. The Pioneer CD-MC20 Auto-EQ microphone plugs into your compatible Pioneer A/V receiver's rear-panel AUX 3.5mm input. The Auto-EQ microphone should be placed in the center of your vehicle's driver seat headrest facing forward for EQ measurement.
Audio Settings: The head unit provides further sound adjustments for your car audio system.
- Listening Position & Time Alignment: For a better sound-stage you can select your optimal listening position. You can choose from All, Front Left, Front Right, or Front. You can also select to manually fine tune the sound stage, using Digital Time Alignment (DTA) by selecting the distance (0-200") for each individual speaker in the vehicle compared to your listening position.
- Advanced Sound Retriever: The Advanced Sound Retriever automatically enhances compressed audio and restores the original richness of the recording. When the Advanced Sound Retriever is on, the high frequency range is compensated to match the frequency response curve to the original sound. There are two available levels of the Advanced Sound Retriever effect.
- Source Level Adjustment (SLA): This function lets you adjust the volume level of each source (AM, Pandora, iPod, Apps) to prevent radical changes in volume when switching between sources. Settings are based on the unit's FM volume level, which remains unchanged. Each source can be independently adjusted from -4 dB to +4 dB.
MIXTRAX: MIXTRAX is an innovative Pioneer technology that creates a nonstop mix of your music library complete with a range of DJ-inspired effects. Drawing from Pioneer's rich DJ heritage and our passion for music, MIXTRAX delivers a unique DJ infused listening experience to those in the car. MIXTRAX takes the music from a USB-connected iPod/iPhone or USB MSC device and plays it back with added transitions and effects, creating a virtual DJ inside the Pioneer receiver.
Note: The MIXTRAX function does not work in AppRadio or AppRadioLive mode, with the Pandora App, for CarPlay or Android Auto, and with Bluetooth sources.
Key Beep: The in-dash head unit provides an audible beep to confirm button operation; this can be turned On or Off.
Dual AV Inputs: The Pioneer AVIC-8201NEX has dual AV inputs to connect two external audio/video sources. The head unit has a rear-panel 3.5mm minijack AV input for connecting a portable audio/video device. There is also a rear-panel composite video/stereo RCA AV input for connecting a video component such as a mobile TV tuner or game console.
HDMI Input: In addition to AppRadio & AppRadiLive modes for iPhone and Android, the head unit's HDMI input can be used to connect almost any external mobile AV source with an HDMI output; such as a TV tuner, Blu-ray player, or game system. The HDMI input will provide video and audio playback. Your vehicle's parking brake will need to be engaged to view video on the receiver's screen. Playback functions will need to be controlled from your HDMI-connected device (not the Pioneer head unit).
AV Output (w/ Dual Zone): The unit features a composite video jack and 3.5mm audio jack to output AV signals to an optional monitor and headphone system. You can simultaneously enjoy the same or different sources in the front and rear of your vehicle. The unit's dual zone AV output can be set to Mirror, DVD/CD, AV, USB-1/iPod, SD, or Off. The Mirror mode simply outputs the same audio/video signal (not including HDMI, CarPlay, or Android Auto) which is playing on the head unit's touchscreen monitor to your connected rear monitor/headphone system.
Note: USB/iPod 1 and SD cannot be selected for playback in the rear of the vehicle when CarPlay or Android Auto is active.
Included Backup Camera: The AVIC-8201NEX is equipped with a composite video rear-view camera input and includes Pioneer's ND-BC8 backup camera that can assist with rear visibility, towing, or parking. When the vehicle's transmission is put in reverse, the screen automatically switches to the rear view camera (violet/white wire of the harness must be connected to the vehicle's reverse lamp circuit for automatic video switching). Automatic video switching takes approximately 0.8 seconds. Additional rear-view camera features include:
- Parking Assist Guidelines: The unit also provides four on-screen guidelines to assist you when backing up and parking your vehicle.
- Trailer Towing: You can even select for the rear-view camera to stay on at all times, so you can keep an eye on the trailer you are towing.
- Second Camera: In addition, you can turn the unit's AV input into a second camera input for adding a front camera (sold separately).
Note: The rear view camera feature is meant as a back-up aid only; never solely rely on the rear-view camera when backing-up. In addition to using the rear-view camera, always look behind you to make sure everything is clear when backing up your vehicle.
iDatalink Serial Port: This Pioneer navigation receiver is compatible with the iDatalink Maestro RR (794ADSMRR, sold separately); a web programmable module that will permit the aftermarket Pioneer receiver to work with select Ford/Lincoln/Mercury vehicles that feature the factory SYNC system, select GM vehicles with factory OnStar, select Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep vehicles with U-Connect, select Volkswagens with factory digital amplifier, select Toyota/Scion vehicles, and select Fiat vehicles.
- Retained Features: The Pioneer navigation receiver lets you retain select factory functions. Retained features will vary by vehicle via the iDatalink Maestro RR. Retained proprietary factory systems can include Ford Sync, GM OnStar, and Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep U-Connect. Other retained factory features may include Steering Wheel Controls, Aux Input, USB Port, Hands-Free Bluetooth, Voice Commands, Satellite Radio, Secondary Display, and more.
- Extra Features: In some installations, the iDatalink Maestro RR lets you configure the Pioneer receiver's touchscreen monitor to operate interior climate controls and provides extra visual data; such as User Selectable Gauges, Vehicle Info (Tire Pressure/Battery Voltage/Check Engine Codes/Door Ajar Warning), and Visual Park Assist. These extra features will vary by vehicle.
Note: The iDatalink Maestro RR is web programmable, which means you'll need to flash the iDatalink Maestro RR interface module with the correct firmware from iDatalink's website. In addition to flashing the iDatalink Maestro RR module, you'll also need a vehicle specific harness (sold separately). The Pioneer receiver's OEM Setup menu must also be configured with your compatible vehicle's factory system before initial operation.
Q Crutchfield asked: Why did you buy this?
19 questions already asked