About the Pioneer AVIC-W8400NEX
Enjoy wireless Android Auto™ and Apple CarPlay™
Enjoy wireless Android Auto™ and Apple CarPlay™
Pioneer's AVIC-W8400NEX navigation receiver is more than just a flagship — it's a powerful multimedia command center, featuring robust phone integration through wireless Apple CarPlay™ and wireless Android Auto™. Android and iPhone owners can now enjoy control of favorite apps through the receiver's 7" capacitive touchscreen without having to pause and connect the phone with a cable. It also offers an HD Radio™ tuner and other sonic goodies. The spot-on GPS directions keep you on the right path and away from traffic congestion.
Apple CarPlay brings your apps to your dash... wirelessly
Apple CarPlay brings all the familiar content on your iPhone to the big screen on your Pioneer car stereo. And with the AVIC-W8400NEX navigation receiver, you can enjoy this groundbreaking feature wirelessly. Go ahead and leave your phone in your purse or jacket pocket, and still enjoy the safety and convenience that CarPlay brings to your daily drive, including control of Apple HomeKit™ compatible devices. Drivers can access CarPlay functions by touch or through Siri® voice control, and if you want to connect your phone via USB for a charge, you can still enjoy all the benefits of CarPlay.
Android Auto without wires
For those with a compatible Android smartphone, Android Auto's an easy way to hit the road. Your media, nav, phone, apps (including the popular Waze app), and more are organized in a simple, clean interface with voice control, but until now it has required a cable connection with your receiver. The AVIC-W8400NEX uses a native Wi-Fi® connection along with Bluetooth to automatically pair with your phone as soon as you turn your vehicle on, giving you instant control of select Android apps through the receiver's screen or Google Assistant-powered voice control. It won't charge your phone while running wirelessly, but if you want to connect and charge, you can still enjoy all the benefits of Android Auto.
(Please check the Details tab to ensure your Android device works with wireless Android Auto.)
If you have an older device, you can still benefit from Wi-Fi Certified Miracast™, which lets you mirror your phone's screen on the AVIC-W8400NEX's display without a wired connection.
Seven inches of touchscreen fun
You'll see everything you need at a glance on Pioneer's info-rich NEX interface, and the updated interface makes choosing musical sources a breeze. When you're properly connected, your smartphone's travel-friendly apps will find a good home on the display. It even offers a "Power Off" mode in the source menu for those times when you want a completely dark screen. The receiver's HDMI input means iPhone and Android users both get Pioneer's AppRadio mode for in-dash command of several important apps, and that your phone can more easily be used as an audio or video source.
Roam freely with reliable directions and traffic reports
A lost driver is an unhappy driver, so count on the this Pioneer's GPS technology to guide you practically anywhere in the U.S., Canada, and Puerto Rico. You can search for stopping points along your route among the 8 million included points of interest, or mark your own favorite spots for future reference. Built-in live traffic updates alert you to potential delays caused by congestion along your route. Spoken street names at turns and lane guidance keep you on track, while speed limit warnings help you stay safe.
Bluetooth for hands-free streaming and communication
Wireless Bluetooth connectivity keeps you in contact with others through hands-free calling. The included external microphone gives your conversations plenty of clarity when you're talking through your compatible phone. And the receiver will work with most phones for wireless streaming audio, thanks to its advanced Hands-Free Profile technology. You'll also get smartphone app control through your devices.
The built-in 13-band graphic equalizer, Auto EQ, and Time Alignment let you shape the sonic output to suit your tastes. Use the high- and low-pass crossover's adjustable points and slopes for further adjustments, and engage the Advanced Sound Retriever to fill in the missing "gaps" in your compressed music files to restore clarity. This Pioneer's also compatible with high-resolution FLAC files, so you can play your music from a thumb drive with maximum fidelity.
See the video sights
You can check out video from DVDs or other sources on the 7" display when you're parked. You can also tap into video content on your iPod or smartphone with the help of the correct cable (not included). When you're on the road, you can play movies through a rear-seat monitor for your passengers, so they can stay entertained. Dual-zone capability lets you enjoy the radio or another audio source up front while your passengers watch their favorite movies with headphones in the back.
Rear and front cameras
You can also connect up to two cameras, so you can see more of what's near your vehicle when getting in and out of tight spots. Need to pull up your rear-view camera in a hurry? A dedicated icon in the source menu gives you instant access.
Ready for SiriusXM satellite radio
The AVIC-W8400NEX radio features a connection for an optional satellite radio tuner, so you can enjoy SiriusXM's extensive programming with your subscription. You can listen to your chosen channels no matter where you roam, and take advantage of special features such as alerts when your favorite songs or sports teams are on the air.
Built-in HD Radio tuner
If you're in an area with HD Radio broadcasts, the Pioneer's built-in tuner can pick them up. You'll hear improved fidelity and reception from participating AM/FM stations all over.
iDatalink Maestro lets you keep your factory extras
Pioneer's AVIC-W8400NEX offers compatibility you won't find in many other aftermarket radios, thanks to the iDatalink Maestro module (not included). In a wide selection of vehicles, this module lets you keep factory features that you'd otherwise lose when you install a new radio. You'll also be able to check out engine performance data and other vehicle info on the Pioneer's screen. Once you've identified your vehicle, you'll see the iDatalink module offered on the way to the Shopping Cart if it's compatible.
Want to keep your car's steering wheel audio controls?
In most cars, you'll need an adapter to retain those controls with this car stereo. Connect a few wires, then program the adapter for your particular car and radio, and you'll retain the convenience of your steering wheel controls. You'll see the adapters that work with your vehicle when you add this receiver to your cart.
Bluetooth note: Use of this receiver's Bluetooth features will depend upon your phone's Bluetooth capabilities. Learn more in our article explaining Bluetooth profiles.
iPod/smartphone note: If you're going to use your iPod or smartphone with this receiver, be sure to check "Details" for compatibility information.
- DVD/CD receiver with 7" touchscreen and AM/FM tuner
- built-in Bluetooth for hands-free calling and audio streaming
- works with wireless and wired Android Auto
- works with wireless and wired Apple CarPlay
- built-in HD Radio tuner
- remote control
- fits double-DIN (4" tall) dash openings
- AppRadio Mode for easy access to apps on the touchscreen
- AppRadioLIVE integration with select apps
- Siri Eyes Free control with compatible iOS devices
- Wi-Fi Certified Miracast™ for wireless screen-mirroring
- Pandora control through iPhone and Android
- maps of United States, Canada, and Puerto Rico, plus 7.9 million points of interest
- free traffic updates in major metropolitan areas
- text-to-speech announces actual street names at turns
- lane guidance
- speed limit warnings
- plays CDs, DVDs, SD cards, and USB drives (see Details for full capabilities)
- plays lossless FLAC audio files (up to 192kHz/24-bit) from your flash drive
- 13-band graphic EQ with Easy EQ preset equalizer
- Auto EQ with Time Alignment (optional CD-MC20 mic required)
- low- and high-pass filters with adjustable crossover points
- Advanced Sound Retriever enhances compressed digital files
- dual-zone A/V output
- works with SiriusXM SXV300 tuner — supports Tune Mix, Traffic & Weather Now, and Sports Flash features
- inputs: HDMI input; dual rear USB inputs; SD card input, 2 rear A/V inputs (mini, RCA); two camera inputs
- outputs: 6-channel preamp outputs (4-volt front, rear, subwoofer); audio/video output (RCA + mini)
- built-in amp (14 watts RMS/50 watts peak x 4 channels)
- CTA-2006 compliant
- compatible with iDatalink Maestro module
- retains factory features in a wide selection of vehicles
- displays engine performance and other vehicle data on touchscreen
- works with steering wheel audio controls (adapter required)
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # AVIC-W8400NEX
What's in the box:
- Navigation receiver with 6.95" touchscreen monitor (10A fuse)
- Wiring harness
- AV/preout harness
- Remote control (CD-R33)
- CR2025 3V lithium battery (installed in remote)
- GPS antenna (attached 11.5' cable)
- 58" USB extension cable
- 6.5' Stereo minijack extension cable
- Microphone w/ bracket (attached 13' cable terminated by a right-angle 2.5mm connector)
- Two-sided tape
- 6 Pan-head ISO screws (M5 x 6mm)
- 6 Flat-head ISO screws (M5 x 6mm)
- Carrying case
- Self-adhesive square
- 3 Self-adhesive clips
- Sheet of self-adhesive labels
- Quick Start Guide
- Installation Manual
- "Important Information For The User" booklet
- Warranty Information
- "USB Type-C Phone" note
- "Apple CarPlay" note
Pioneer AVIC-W8400NEX reviews
Got an upgrade from the 7.0 Subaru radio. Sounds awesome, what a big improvement .
Pros: Wireless CarPlay Nav OEM antennae no magnets if played in the rights spots
0 of 0 found this helpful
Too bad, I passed the return window, I purchased this radio on 5/2/2019 and finally installed it on 7/12/2019. I would love to return this for another brand, such as Kenwood. The built in Navigation is the worst I have seen, not user friendly at all. Still can't figure out how to save addresses in the Navigation system. The Apple Car Play works fine. There is no way to delete items in the menu that I don't use, such as Pandora, Mirroring (I have an iPhone, this only works with Android)
Cons: The Built in Navigation is the worst, not user friendly at all. Stay away from Pioneer, they used to be good years ago, now no good. Too bad I can't leave zero stars.
0 of 1 found this helpful
Purchased this for 2014 Toyota FJ Cruiser as an upgrade from the factory head unit. I couldn't be happier with this choice as it is simply amazing. I did the install myself and should note that I haven't attempted an install since the mid-late 80's when I was still a teenager. Crutchfield's ready wiring harness and the iDatalink Maestro made installation easy. Everything was plug-n-play. I was able to retain all my factory steering wheel controls & back-up display in factory mirror and with the addition of an OBDII module I was able to get even more vehicle info (i.e. tire pressure, battery, etc.) than was available before. I even added another 2nd backup camera that displays on the Pioneer AVIC-W8400NEX which is nice because I have dual backups and can view the 2nd camera even when the vehicle isn't in reverse. This Pioneer head unit is great and immediately seemed to enhance/improve the overall soundstage and quality of sound in the FJ. The GPS on this Pioneer is great and very accurate and easy to use. In fact all features are very user friendly and easy to get to and use. Bluetooth audio is amazing and has almost zero lag when streaming from YouTube. The only features I haven't tried thus far are Android Carplay and the DVD. I'm sure those will be as great as all the other features. Thanks Pioneer and Thanks Crutchfield!
Pros: This unit has everything and is super user friendly and easy to use!
0 of 0 found this helpful
Installed in 2008 Toyota Highlander - works great. With the iDatalink Maestro all steering wheel functions have been retained. Navigation section of this unit is a bit cumbersome and non intuitive - one reason for 4 stars even though I do not intend to use the Pioneer nav . Fortunately the iPhone nav apps: Waze, Google and Maps all work flawlessly via CarPlay. Speaking of, the WiiFi works flawlessly, connects quickly, seamlessly and all in the background without the USB tether. Other reason for 4 stars is noisy background audio quality of outgoing hands-free phone calls while driving with reports that quality deteriorates with faster speeds. Tested this with several people of both technical and non-technical backgrounds. This is probably related to the included mic. I mounted it directly in front of the driver - top of steering column as close as I could without interfering with the steering wheel hub. I have tried different mic. locations and Bluetooth only vice WiFi - no difference. Maybe a higher fidelity mic or shielding by taping mic side housing slots will reduce background (road) noise - TBD.
Pros: WiFi connectivity (CarPlay in my case), configurability, build quality, sound quality and responsive screen (capacitive touch).
Cons: Native navigation Road noise in outgoing phone calls at highway speed (reported by person called).
0 of 0 found this helpful
Works the interface and operation are clunky and small
0 of 1 found this helpful
Awesome radio, wish I had a compatible phone for android auto wireless, only can use pixel phone at this time, still can use it with wire. Love the built in GPS.
Pros: Too much to list
Cons: Can not use wireless Android auto
0 of 0 found this helpful
The capacitive touchscreen makes this thing an absolute winner. Having both car play and Android auto is a must since we are a divided household, and it works great. Using the idatalink maestro makes integration with factory controls a breeze. I also cannot neglect to mention both crutchfield's pre made cable and phenomenal support. I had about 5 too many cables to know where they went, and I called and they walked me right thru everything perfectly!
Pros: Carplay and Android auto support Factory controls Own Sirius Integration
0 of 0 found this helpful
Solid quality HU from Pioneer. Install went pretty smooth, but the RCA/backup camera/aux input connection cable is a bit cumbersome. I ended up having to remove the connections I didn't need to get it to fit in my application (Porsche Boxster). The HU boots up quickly and the nav works well. Have not tried the Android Auto. Able to use at least 128GB SD card if formatted as NTFS, regardless of what the manual says.
Pros: -Fast boot -Lots of adjustments, customization -SDXC capable
Cons: -RCA cable cumbersome
0 of 0 found this helpful
So far, I really like this radio. The wireless CarPlay is great. I jump in the truck and it immediately connects and I'm off and running. No regrets
0 of 0 found this helpful
All my life I've been using Pioneer. Branched off and tried the iLX-650 with power pack from Alpine before picking up this 8400. Not sure I had a bad unit but my experience was plagued with quality of sound issues, features not working and just overall disappointment from a high quality brand like Alpine. Went back to my roots and all I can say is WOW. This Pioneer AVIC is easy to use, packed with features and sounds amazing. I will say however for those that use Android Auto/Car Play over anything else... you might want to consider the NEX 4400. I find that I rarely ever turn on the built in GPS of this unit and for the added cost I don't believe there is much difference other than the GPS. Also something to consider is this HU is advertised as Wireless Android Auto compatible. Something it doesn't say is which phones work with with the wireless version. Maybe most know this but I did not and learned that my Samsung, while has all the latest updates isn't on the list of AA wireless compatible. It does work pretty seamless with the cable however. If you can catch this HU on sale like I did it is worth the money. thank you for reading,
Pros: Packed with features, easy to use, sounds amazing and looks good too.
Cons: Limited Android Auto "Wireless" connectivity. Only certain phones will work... Not a terrible con but something I feel should be brought up.
1 of 1 found this helpful
Works as expected
0 of 0 found this helpful
Cons: haven got the steering control working and I had a pro to install it.
1 of 1 found this helpful
Great quality unit that does just about everything. Love the sound, image quality, simplicity of operation. While the provided installation instructions were very helpful, I still needed some assistance from Crutchfield's technical support - which was also good.
Pros: Easy install, high quality product
Cons: Needed a little extra help from technical support which was freely given.
1 of 1 found this helpful
0 of 1 found this helpful
Awesome head unit
0 of 1 found this helpful
The system installed nicely with the parts provided, has a good interface and sounds great.
0 of 0 found this helpful
Has all the features you need today. Installed in convertible, screen bright but tough to see with direct sun. Has adroidauto, but didnt realize app has to be up on screen for notifications (wish was more integrated into base functions as popup)
Pros: Crisp screen Easy to use GUI and buttons Plenty of aux inputs Changeable flash screen (wish it was entire boot up screen)
Cons: NAV volume is fixed in settings and can't be changed during speaking Some setting not as intuitive
3 of 3 found this helpful
Love this head unit one of the nicest I've owned. The wireless carplay is awesome. My only retractor is that the face plate can't be removed for security. Install was really straight forward once I got all the un-needed cables/cords identified (thanks crutchfueld).
Pros: Honestly, the wireless carplay
Cons: Face plate is not removable
0 of 0 found this helpful
the connection of android auto, is confusing and causes many problems, in reality and for that price a lot more is expected, I'm really disappointed, I have a much cheaper radio, which does the same functions without any kind of connection problems, much say for a model of last range.
Pros: looks nice, great back up camera.
Cons: very expensive for what it offers, confusing operating system
1 of 2 found this helpful
The pioneer unit is phenomenal wireless Apple CarPlay GPS navigation everything on the unit loads up so fast it's just literally probably 10 seconds for the GPS has for the wireless Apple CarPlay as soon as you sync your phone it's always there you climb into your vehicle your cell phone in your pocket and away you go no wires a And help needed this is a great feature I just love the unit I also would like to thank crutchfiled for their expertise and help this was the first time I have stalled any unit into my truck
Pros: It's all good
Cons: I wish I would've bought this unit months ago
4 of 4 found this helpful
Best radio I have bought. Wireless carplay works great!
3 of 4 found this helpful
Has all the features, sounds much better than factory even with original amp and speakers, gorgeous screen, touch works well, love the traffic updates w/o any subscription or phone requried, android auto works with my s9+
Pros: no subscription or phone required for traffic updates, loaded with features, most of all great sound
Cons: despite 2GB fat32 per manual, usb flash drives too hit or miss (although no issues with android auto over usb)
0 of 0 found this helpful
I've been using this radio for about 2 weeks now in my 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee and am impressed by it's intelligence in handling all the various functions. For example, a nice touch is the ability to change the start-up splash screen to any jpg of your choosing. In my case I decided to use a black & white image of the Jeep logo saved on a SDHC memory card that's located behind the huge display screen, so upon start-up it looks like this radio was factory equipment. iPod functionality is first rate: I no longer have to hear warning messages from my factory radios complaining that my iPod Touch contains too many tracks to be indexed - the AVIC-W8400NEX handles my 8000+ tracks and playlists without a hiccup. Also, contrary to some of the other reviews I read before buying, this unit does indeed display the parking assist guide lines from the rear camera. I firmly believe this is more a capability of the actual camera being used rather than a limitation of the AVIC-W8400NEX. The camera I bought (also from Crutchfield) was the Crux CUL-03. Just buy this a
Pros: Intelligent, feature-packed including real-time traffic updates, touchscreen, lots of inputs and outputs, all made simple with Crutchfield's vehicle-specific harness and iDatalink Maestro (sold separately).
Cons: This unit has two USB ports on the rear (USB1 for Apple, the USB2 for Android) but package only comes with one USB Extension cable. If you need to use the USB2 port to connect to a device that has a USB-C connector (like my Galaxy Note 8) and need more than 3ft to reach your center console you must purchase a "certified" USB extension cable otherwise your AVIC-W8400NEX may not recognize your device. I encountered this issue during installation and found the solution on Pioneer's website.
7 of 7 found this helpful
Excellent head unit. The wireless car play works flawlessly, and the radio has an excellent sound quality. I have this installed in my 2015 Toyota 4Runner with the idatalink maestro and everything works seamlessly with the steering wheel buttons and voice control.
5 of 5 found this helpful
After Toyota and Entune did away with the pandora app it all but sealed that radio's fate. I upgraded to far superior navigation, much clearer and powerful sound to my upgraded door and dash speakers, all my steering wheel functions work, and I have wireless Apple Carplay- which Toyota should have done from the beginning. But anyway, this radio is great. Connects quickly, calls are clear, sound is splendid- and the American international dash kit looks almost like OEM. If you have the 7" screen be sure to communicate that so you receive the correct dash kick. Enjoy your tunes yall
1 of 2 found this helpful
Really good head unit.
0 of 0 found this helpful
have had it installed for about a month now and love it,the android auto great.this unit does everything but make you coffee in the morning.
Pros: great sound and options
Cons: a bit pricey
2 of 2 found this helpful
Great product, superb customer service and support. I only buy my A/V needs from Crutchfield
Pros: CarPlay and Android Auto, supports all the streaming needs
1 of 1 found this helpful
Radio sounds great and I love hearing it in the car. What a great quality radio and I love that I made the right choice to buy it.
3 of 3 found this helpful
The W8400NEX is a fantastic head unit, I couldn't be happier with it. I upgraded the stock Radio system in my 2019 Tacoma and it is a HUGE improvement. I paired it with some new Kicker Speakers and it sounds great. Loud and clear. I use the wireless CarPlay with my IPhone 8 and it is flawless. It connects automatically every time I start the truck without touching the phone or the radio. In my last truck I had a Pioneer 2330 which had the plastic resistive touch screen, the glass capacitive screen on the w8400 is so much nicer. I highly recommend this radio.
8 of 8 found this helpful
I have had this radio for a short time but since I had it installed I cannot say anything negative about it. Works great with apple car play.
1 of 2 found this helpful
Packed with features and install was a snap with the parts provided.
3 of 3 found this helpful
Love this unit. I love all the features. The Maestro integration is phenomenal. The sound production is great. The installation was easy and except for one small mistake by me was flawless. Having Crutchfield's cabling service made life so much easier. I do have two small beefs. It's hard to get the dash plate back on with all the wires. I was a little disappointed that the 8400 doesn't have parking assist lines. I'm hoping a future software upgrade will address this.
Pros: Love all the features.Sound is awesome. Screen is great. Navigation is great.
Cons: backup screen has no parking assist lines.
8 of 9 found this helpful
I'm having frustrating audio skipping issues with this unit when using wireless Android Auto. Music skips about once per minute - and only when using wireless Android Auto. For reference, I have a Google Pixel 3. Wireless CarPlay works on my wife's iPhone SE. Wired works for both. It's beyond frustrating. I've tried factory resets on the radio and phone.
Pros: Looks great, easy install, great touchscreen.
Cons: Audio skipping
8 of 9 found this helpful
Fantastic product! Works better than I expected. Super easy setup thanks to the easy instructions and vehicle specific kit. Fast shipping. No issues whatsoever!
Pros: Easy setup, amazing performance. All Bluetooth connection
2 of 2 found this helpful
3 of 5 found this helpful
I have installed my fair share of head units in my life. I intentionally purchased a truck with a upgraded system so I could get better sound. However, Toyota is way behind the times when it comes to radio tech. No Carplay or anything of the like. Wireless carplay was important to me so this unit fit the bill. Install was a piece of cake with the additional recommended install parts provided by Crutchfield. The only thing missing was the adapter to reuse the factory xm radio antenna. Other than that, amazingly easy and the result looks like it rolled off of the assembly line. All in all, a very good experience and am happy with the install and tech support from Crutchfield! Installed in a 2018 Toyota Tacoma w JBL.
Pros: Adapters made everything plug-n-play. Zero splicing into the factory harness. Looks like it is factory Love Wireless Carplay! Crutchfield Tech Support is amazing!
Cons: Could not use the built in mic. How has nobody solved that issue? Seems like with all the tech I installed, that one would be a no brainer.
8 of 8 found this helpful
Installed in a Toyota Camry 2009
2 of 4 found this helpful
Installed in a 2013 Toyota Tundra... but I wish I hadn't. The interface is super basic. I can't remove inputs that I don't use so I have to cycle through tons of unused inputs. Who uses Pandora these days?!? The backup camera can not be wired to stock as it says it can (this is directly from Crutchfield staff). USB 1 only works with iPhone... I wish someone would have said that before I installed the whole thing and discovered my Android needs to be installed on USB 2. Lastly, the brains that control the steering wheel decide when they want to work and when they don't. I notice that if I change inputs too many times, the steering wheel controls drop off until I restart my car. Super lame. I'm not looking forward to tearing this all apart again to fix these issues. All-in-all... I wish I never bought the thing and stuck with the stock unit. But my wife bought me a gift card for most of this purchase and now I'm locked in.
10 of 13 found this helpful
I change out my old head unit for the AVIC-W8400NEX and had Crutchfield ,are the harness for my van. Everything is working just fine.
2 of 2 found this helpful
I installed this into a 2012 Ford Escape, and it looks and sounds great. I didn't cheap out and had Crutchfield provide the easy harness. Almost everything was plug-and-play. Unlike some of the others out there in the comments section, I wired the stock reverse camera into the 8400 and have grid lines. It looks the same as the stock reverse camera did on the OEM radio. On the stock nav radio, there is a connector on the back of the head unit that has only two wires going into a larger connector. Those are the +/- for the stock reverse camera. The Pioneer harness for the reverse camera doesn't really give enough of a lead to make a splice to take out the RCA, so I just robbed some wires that had enough of a lead by swapping the pins from other parts of the harness that weren't in use in my setup. The Car Play was a little bit of a trick for me to figure out, but there will be a learning curve with new technology. Once I got everything plugged in, the radio is obviously much improved over stock. The only thing I lost was the hybrid printout and average fuel economy, but even the FDIM still works and has new read-outs. This package is slick, overall.
3 of 3 found this helpful
Big Fail on Pioneers part. Here's why: 1) No option to AirPlay from iPhone to Head unit. Android users get Miracast support, but iPhone users are left with nothing 2) Capacitive touch screen doesn't allow pinch/zoom and finger swiping for map control in Apple CarPlay apps. I tried Apple Maps, Waze, and Google Maps and it doesn't work. 3) No parking camera grid lines and no flip image capability for backup cameras. Who's the idiot that designed this thing? Wait until a new model comes out in the future. Save your money!
13 of 31 found this helpful
The best in terms of wireless features and have tons of options compare to a factory radio. Most of the facotry buttons are retain using maestro RR but the lane watch camera does not automatically start but its accessible it just a pain you have to manually press which kills the main purpose when changing lanes. They took out the other options on camera such as lane assist and flip the picture. For the top of the line this has to have all the great features of the old ones I feel like it should be around $800 range other than that if you have money and likes wireless on everything this will satisfy your needs on it
Pros: - Wireless android auto, carplay anf miracast feature which is awesome - Have 2 USB input - Easy set up
Cons: - Display is not HD to my train eyes it bothers me mostly noticeable in maps and navigations - Only have one aux in if you have maestro you would need to hook it up on in and give up on your factory aux in - My buttons for answering and hanging up calls does not work on android auto I have to click the screen to answer it - Like the other are saying some of the features on camera are missing such as assist line and flip the image - Some song thumbnail does not show on USB
7 of 9 found this helpful
Overview - This radio is all that i want it to be. It replaces a stock Jeep Wrangler sport with Uconnect. (Bluetooth) I was looking for a navigation unit that has its maps preloaded. Thus you do not have to use your phone if necessary. The Carplay is a bonus. Never used it so I didn't know what to expect. It works perfectly. The icons are large enough to read and the touch screen reacts as an end user expects it to. The back up camera feature works as if it was OEM and with the additional USB ports i ran a USB extension to the passenger floor for that passenger. The regular USB in the glove box still works as well as the steering wheel controls. All that is left is for me to trouble shoot why my wife's iphone 7 connects to Unconnect instead of carplay upon each call. I highly suggest letting Crutchfield put your wires together. I normally did this myself the night before installation. It is worth the price to have them do it.
Pros: 1. Intergrated Navigation 2. Car Play 3. Big Screen 4. Back up Camera inputs
Cons: 1. Will take time to install with all accessories. 2. Learning curve for new tech.
4 of 4 found this helpful
Awesome unit. Has all the bells and whistles. Fairly intuitive to use.
4 of 4 found this helpful
This is Pioneers top of the line (flagship) model and they decided to leave off the backup camera grid lines. I waited almost a year...passed on the 8200NEX &7200NEX with the free BU camera deals for this one assuming it would have all the latest tech (which it does). Had I'd known it had no grid lines, I never would have waited or bought it. I waited too long to get and install the camera, so I can't return it. Nowhere does it say on Pioneer's website or any website selling this that little bit of information. I just unplugged it, because it is worthless and ticked me off every time I put it in reverse. Also the screen is too busy with that giant square box for album art or radio stations is out of place. Should have options to modify it, i.e making it smaller, moving it somewhere else on the screen...or just the ability to remove it. Maybe a firmware update will address at least the grid lines. As of now...disappointed.
Pros: Sounds great. Navigation is good.
Cons: No backup camera grid lines. Wish it had more customizable options as far as screen layout.
16 of 30 found this helpful
I've only had the unit installed for a couple weeks, but I find it very well designed, it looks great and works as advertised. The Crutchfield experience is however a "5" Star. The salesman (Doc) was/is superb. He knows the unit well and everything I need to make it work properly. The only reason I don't give the Pioneer AVIC-W8400NEX a top rating is that it falls short on a few "lawyer induced" issues. I fly a jet for a living with much more sophisticated avionics than this. Can you imagine my having to land to reprogram the boxes? 1) You cant program the navigation while driving. So if yo change destinations, pull over to re-program... Dumb. 2) Even with the Maestro, you need a second microphone? Not sure why that is. 3) Maestro access to more than engine gauges would have been nice. All that said, I might be convinced to just buy the 4400 unit without Navigation as the Apple Car Play with Google Maps, or the soon to be much better Waze (also included in ACP) seem to be robust (or maybe more) than the built in Here maps which will be out dated in a day. I love the unit and wonder why Toyota doesn't include such a fine multi-purpose unit as stock amazes me. As for Crutchfield, don't hesitate to buy from them. Call and ask for "Doc".
Pros: Much (Like night and day) better than OEM
Cons: Silly parking brake power that doesn't allow on the fly reprogramming. Warranty, and the mirror should be wireless.
8 of 9 found this helpful
Does not have the same functions as the previous 8200 model to add parking lines or reverse the video of a camera input (so if you're planning to take advantage of the dual camera option for a front view camera and use a camera like Pioneer's ND-BC8, the video will be reversed). Pretty surprising for their new "flagship" receiver. Other than that major gripe, it's a great receiver and I've been happy with it.
Pros: Wireless CarPlay and Android Auto
Cons: No "reverse video" or parking line options for camera inputs
8 of 9 found this helpful
Yes, it's expensive -- but it's also a great little piece of technology. I decided to upgrade my stock head unit for the Wireless Carplay. My phone never leaves my pocket. The capacitive touchscreen is great...reusing the stock steering wheel controls is great...the sound is great. This thing obviously has lots of features. You just have to decide what they're worth. As far as the installation goes -- I'm not easily intimidated. I'm an electrical engineer who has been installing audio equipment in vehicles since I saved up and put a Craig 8-Track player in my $500 high school ride. The stereo was literally worth more than the car. Nostalgia aside, the installation of the 8400 along with the Maestro box and all the cabling was somewhat challenging. The Pioneer/Maestro integration instructions were mediocre at best. Never had to call for help, but I was close once or twice. Start to finish, this took me 4 to 4-1/2 hrs to complete. The finished product really looks amazing though. Aside from a few back-spacer washers to make everything line up perfectly, the dash kit was a piece of cake. It's probably as close to "OEM looking" as anything I've ever installed. Still learning my way around, but so far I'm very pleased. Happy I spent a little extra and got the 8400!
Pros: Tons of features Wireless Carplay Looks OEM
Cons: Install might not be for the faint of heart
11 of 11 found this helpful
2005 Silverado. Tons of of features and options, Graphical EQ is could have a simple mode but is fine. Volume control for guidance does not mute very well. Mic works well. Some of the radio stations that are further away sound more garbled than with stock radio. Wireless car play is awesome. I wish you could customize the home screen more. Install went well, did not need to remove support bracket just had cut away the plastic base around it.
Pros: Great picture, tons of features. Built in Navigation is awesome.
7 of 8 found this helpful
2 of 6 found this helpful
I am blown away by this radio! Touch screen is just like a smartphone. I can't believe the clarity of the sound coming from the STOCK speakers just by updating the head unit. Navi function is flawless so far. I went with the Pioneer instead of KENWOOD because Pioneer has the traffic receiver built in while the KENWOOD you need a constant data connection via your phone and it's only free for (2) years. That's just one of the many reasons I choose the Pioneer. Screen is very responsive and clear! I am very happy with my purchase and Crutchfield was super helpful throughout the entire process.
Cons: None so far!
14 of 15 found this helpful
Great product makes stock system sound better ease of use and installation was something that a novice could take on
7 of 8 found this helpful
Great stereo. Works flawlessly.
7 of 10 found this helpful
Best unit on the market.
Pros: Too many pros to list
Cons: Due to so many features, it is quite complicated to navigate through operation. When compared with 8100NEX, it is difficult to learn and operate.
10 of 11 found this helpful
4 of 14 found this helpful
Installed in a 2018 jeep wrangler, idatalink module gave me ability to view every sensor, oil pressure, oil temperature, transmission temperature, even ignition timing, plus 50 more..simple installation and setup. Great picture for watching movies. Ausome sounding music. Radio even tells my jeep what songs playing on the radio, so it can display it on the factory display as well. This thing with idatalink warns for seat belts, engine and transmission problems better than factory equipment.
Pros: Everything works great together.
Cons: Doesn't have track forward and back buttons on lip anymore, like the older models.
11 of 11 found this helpful
After owning a Kenwood, this is a breath of fresh air. Hate the Kenwood, love the pioneer
Pros: User friendly, so far works flawlessly
Cons: Got three cars, gonna have to buy two more
8 of 14 found this helpful
A good radio I love the picture look very good
4 of 10 found this helpful
It's like having 3 different radios in one. Regular, Apple car play and AppRadio. Voice control of radio functions would be nice.
7 of 11 found this helpful
I bought this unit to replace a 4 year old AVIC-5000nex unit. This unit has a larger screen, captive touch, and wireless CarPlay. It definitely boots up faster, and the wireless iOS connection has been flawless. My only disappointment is that the faceplate is not detachable as advertised. I would rate it 5 starts if it was detachable. And finally as always, Crutchfield's customer service is flawless.
Pros: Fast boot Plug and play for upgrading Flawless wireless connection
Cons: Expensive Faceplate isn't detachable
19 of 22 found this helpful
It's a Pioneer enough said.
Pros: Wireless CarPlay/Android, HD Radio, Capacitive Touch Screen, HDMI, can do front and rear camera
Cons: Only 800x480, no wireless mirroring for apple ipone, no high def audio, only 1 yr warranty
12 of 21 found this helpful
I am delighted with the AVIC-W8400NEX. I've been waiting for an aftermarket head unit that featured wireless CarPlay, HD radio, and a capacitive touch screen. This baby has it all! I have the Alpine iLX-207 in my other car, which includes HD radio and a capacitive touch screen, but I have to plug in my phone to use CarPlay. With this new Pioneer unit, I just hop in the car and go. The screen is very responsive and easy to use. The tuner is typical of Pioneer, able to pull in stations from afar, and the HD tuner allows access to more than twice as many stations versus analog tuners. CarPlay works seamlessly, although it wasn't obvious how to set up the wireless feature. You have to first connect your phone to the unit with either BlueTooth or USB, and then it will ask if you wish to enable wireless CarPlay. I'm using the built-in amp, and it easily drives my four Infinity speakers. It also connects to my powered Kenwood subwoofer, allowing me to set the crossover frequency.
Pros: Wireless CarPlay/Android Auto HD radio Capacitive (not resistive) touch screen
27 of 27 found this helpful
More details on the Pioneer AVIC-W8400NEX
Features & specs
|AUX Input||Mini (rear), RCA (rear)|
|Audio/video Input||HDMI (rear), Mini (rear), RCA (rear)|
|USB Input||Rear (2)|
|Backup Camera Input||Yes|
|Second Camera Input||Yes|
|Memory Card Slot||USB. SD|
|Satellite Radio Ready||SiriusXM 3.0|
|RMS Power (CTA-2006)||14 watts|
|RMS Power (Manufacturer)||22 watts|
|Peak Output||50 watts|
|RMS Power Bandwidth||20-20kHz|
|Sub Preamp Outputs||Yes|
|Switchable Rear Preamp Outputs||No|
|Navigation App Compatible (iOS)||Apple, Waze, Inrix|
|Navigation App Compatible (Android)||Google, Waze, Inrix|
|Preamp Voltage||4 volts|
|Key Button Color||Variable|
|Steering Wheel Control Compatible||Adapter required|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
|FM Sensitivity||11 dBf|
|Radio Data System||Yes|
|Music File Playback||MP3, WMA, AAC,FLAC,WAV|
|High-res Playback||FLAC (192 kHz)|
CarPlay, Android Auto, AppRadio, & Miracast
Audio & DSP Section
AV + OEM Connectivity
Touchscreen & Remote Control
HERE Navigation: The AVIC-W8400NEX offers a comprehensive map database from HERE covering the entire United States (including Alaska & Hawaii), Canada, and Puerto Rico enabling users to route to millions of destinations; including 11.7 Million points of interest (POIs). The map database is stored on the head unit's built in 16GB flash memory.
Note: While the receiver's map database was judged to be as accurate as possible at the time of its release (2017), a map database can never be 100% accurate. Road information that is maintained in the map databases, such as turn restrictions or road names may change over time.
Map Updates: Customers are eligible to update to the latest available map database free of charge during the first 45 days of operation (from the unit's first receipt of an active GPS signal). To update the map database, visit the Naviextras website to download the Naviextras Toolbox on your computer (requires Windows XP or newer; not compatible with Mac) and USB thumbdrive.
GPS Technology: The AVIC-W8400NEX accurately measures your current location by the Global Positioning System, a network of satellites orbiting the earth to give you time and position information. The accuracy of the GPS information depends upon how good the reception is. The unit features a built-in GPS receiver and comes with a GPS antenna that is designed to be mounted on top of the vehicle's dashboard. The AVIC-W8400NEX also utilizes a speed sensing cable for better accuracy of your vehicle's movement; this wire should always be connected to your vehicle's speed detection circuit.
- Start-Up Time: The Pioneer AVIC-W8400NEX will turn on to the last source selected or the navigation screen. The unit has a start-up time of approximately 12.1 seconds from OFF to the last Source selected, or a start-up of approximately 25.7 seconds from OFF to the Navigation screen.
- Calculation Times: The navigation receiver took approximately 10.1 seconds to calculate directions from Charlottesville, Virginia to Los Angeles, California. It only took 5.3 seconds to calculate directions from Charlottesville, Virginia to Baltimore, Maryland. These tests were done inside the Crutchfield Lab of the Crutchfield Headquarters. Results will vary based on length of calculated route and your surrounding area.
Real-Time Traffic Updates: Partnering with Clear Channel Broadcasting's Total Traffic Network, the built-in traffic tuner provides real-time traffic data for over 90 major cities in North America, including US and Canada. Check your commute route in advance or re-route to your destination to avoid traffic congestion. There is no subscription cost and no annoying on-screen advertisements.
- Road segments affected by traffic incidents are displayed with an alternate color on the map and small symbols above the road show the nature of the incident.
- When traffic information that may affect your route is received, this system will warn you that it is recalculating the route and navigation will continue with a new route that is optimal considering the most up-to-date traffic conditions.
On-Screen Map: The Pioneer AVIC-W8400NEX displays a real-time moving map illustrating your current position and intended route. It will show map scale and geographic details such as lakes, rivers, highways, buildings, and towns. Your route is marked with a green line, while your vehicle is indicated by a red arrow on the screen, and checkered flag marks your destination. As you travel the AVIC-W8400NEX guides to your destination with arrows on the map and directions at the top of the screen. The map screen will also indicate the distance to your next maneuver. During your calculated route, distance to your final destination, timed need to reach the final destination, and estimated arrival time are all displayed on-screen. You can adjust the following map settings.
- 2D/3D Map Modes (w/ Landmarks): The Pioneer AVIC-W8400NEX allows you to view its on-screen map in a 2D (two-dimensional) or 3D (three-dimensional) view. 2D View displays a normal two-dimensional map with North or your direction at the top of map screen. Similar to paper road maps, the 2D mode, shows you streets, roads, and elevation by color. In 3D mode, your direction is at the top of the map screen and you can see the altitude and elevations differences. You can distinguish between valleys, mountains, and elevated roads. In selected cities 3D landmarks and 3D buildings are also displayed on the map, so you can better distinguish the surroundings around you.
- Smart Zoom: The on-screen map offers Smart Zoom. When you approach a turn, the map will zoom in and raise the view angle to let you easily recognize your maneuver at the next junction. If the turn is at a distance, it will zoom out and lower the view angle to be flat so you can see the road in front of you.
- Color Mode: You can switch between daytime and nighttime color modes or let the head unit's software switch between the two mode automatically a few minutes before sunrise and a few minutes after sunset.
Note: Audio/Video source information is displayed at the bottom of the map screen.
Lane Guidance & Signposts: The Pioneer AVIC-W8400NEX's navigation map offers helpful lane information and signpost guidance, along with exit service.
- Lane Guidance: When navigation on multilane roads, it is important to take the appropriate lane in order to follow the recommended route. If lane information is available in the map data, the map screen will display the lanes and their directions using small arrows at the bottom of the map. High lighted arrows represent the lanes you need to take.
- Realistic Signposts: Where additional information is available, realistic signposts & road signs substitute arrows. Replications of actual highway signs are displayed at the top of the map further improving driver orientation and navigation.
- Enhanced Junction View: If you are approaching a freeway exit or a complex intersection and the needed information exists, the map is replaced with a 3D view of the junction. The lanes you need to take are displayed with arrows. Realistic signposts & roadsides can also be present, if information is available.
- Exit Services: While navigation a route, you can find gas, food, lodging, and restrooms near upcoming exits along major highways and freeways.
- Tunnel View: When entering a tunnel, the map is replaced with a generic tunnel image so that surface roads and buildings cannot distract you.
Audible Alerts: The Pioneer AVIC-W8400NEX offers various audible alerts and functions to help you get to your destination safely. The unit will mute the audio of the other audio/video sources during navigation voice-prompts.
- Voice Guidance (Text-to-Speech w/ Landmarks): In addition to graphical on-screen directions and maps, the AVIC-W8400NEX provides voice guidance and turn-by-turn directions with landmark identification. You can choose a male or female voice in English, French, or Spanish. Some of the voices are capable of text-to-speech, announcing the street names along with the turn directions and identification of landmarks. You can adjust the voice guidance volume independently from the head unit's main volume.
- Safety Alert: This function can warn you when you approach road safety cameras, school zones, or railroad crossings (if available). You can also add your own alert points. Beeps or the spoken type of alert will be heard when you are approaching of these points.
- Speed Limit Warning: Some maps may contain information about the speed limits of certain road segments. The AVIC-W8400NEX provides an audible warning if you exceed the recommended speed limit.
Where Am I? & Destination Search: The Where Am I? screen contains information about the current position (or approximately the last known position if GPS reception is not available) and a button to search for POIs and emergency assistance nearby. The Destination Search menu offers search tools to find your destination and play your route.
- Browse Map: Select a point on the map for your destination by touching the screen.
- Address: Input your destination address by house number, street, and city (or county).
- POIs: Search over 11.7 million POIs (points-of interest) by name, near you current location, near your destination, or around a city.
- Favorites (including Home & Work): You can save your favorite addresses and POIs for quicker access the next time you are traveling. You can also save your Home and Work address in your favorites.
- Recent History: The places that you have set as destinations in the past are automatically stored for easier access.
- Combined Search: You can enter search keywords to find addresses, favorite places, recent destination, and POIs.
- Coordinates: Allows you to search your destination by longitude and latitude values.
Note: Your vehicle must be stopped and the parking brake will need to be engaged to enable certain navigation functions; such as Address search and Coordinates.
Route Calculation: The Pioneer AVIC-W8400NEX calculates your route based on your Vehicle Type, Route Method, and Avoidances.
- Vehicle Type: You select what type of vehicle you are driving, so the navigation unit can determine the best route based on your vehicle type (Car, Truck, Emergency, Bus, or Taxi).
- Route Method: You can choose which route method
(Fastest, Shortest, Green, Economical, or Easy) the navigation unit should
use when calculating your route.
- Fast: gives a quick route, if you can travel at or near the speed limit on all roads. Usually the best section for fast and normal cars
- Short: gives a route that has the smallest total distance of all possible routes. It can be practical for slow vehicles
- Economical: combines the benefits of Fast and Short; calculates as if it were calculating the Fast route, but it takes other roads as well to save fuel
- Easy: results in a route with fewer turns and no difficult maneuvers
- Avoidances: You can tell the navigation unit to avoid certain types of roads along your calculated route, such as - Highways, Tolls, Carpool/HOV, Unpaved Roads, and/or Ferries.
Detours/Alternatives/Auto Reroute: You can select "Route Alternative" to see the turn-list and map screen of four routes (Fastest/Shortest/Economical/Easy) with the selected route planning parameters, giving you the option to select which route to take. You can also choose to Detour around the road ahead, avoid a specific road, or around a section of the route. If you depart from the original route, the navigation system recalculates the route and provides new directions.
Route Planner + Itinerary w/ Route Simulation: The Route Planner feature lets you built your route using the list of destinations you have chosen. You can modify the list as you like (adding or removing a destination (waypoint), changing a final destination, or setting a new starting position. The Itinerary page displays turn-by-turn instructions for your entire route and the distance between turns. You can preview all the route information and simulate travel along a projected route.
Monitors: The Pioneer AVIC-W8400NEX provides a Trip Monitor that contains useful information about your trip and a Fuel Consumption Monitor that helps keep track of fuel mileage.
- Trip Monitor: The Trip Monitor contains useful information about your trip. This information can be saved manually when you reach your destination or automatically along your route. Trip log data includes; Start/End Time, Avg./Max. Speed, Total/Driving/Stopped Time, Total Distance, and Min./Max. Altitude.
- Fuel Consumption Monitor: The Fuel Consumption Monitor helps you keep track of the fuel consumption of your car even if you do not use the navigation system for all your journeys. Set the initial odometer value and then record the distance driven and the amount of fuel whenever you fill up your car. You can also set reminders for regular car maintenance. The Fuel Consumption Monitor's calculations are based only on the information that you provide and not on any data from the vehicle. The fuel mileage displayed is only a reference value and does not guarantee that the fuel mileage displayed can be obtained.
Built-In WiFi: The Pioneer AVIC-W8400NEX features built-in WiFi wireless connectivity specifically designed to support a cable free connection between your Apple iPhone or Android smartphone and the receiver. Supporting both Wireless Android Auto and Apple CarPlay via a wireless connection, plus WiFi Certified Miracast wireless mirroring for older Android smartphone devices, you no longer need to worry about taking your smartphone out of your bag or your pocket before you get into your car.
Note: The unit's built-in WiFi can only be used for Android Auto, CarPlay, and Miracast (not designed to be used with WiFi hotspots).
Wireless Apple CarPlay: The Pioneer AVIC-W8400NEX features Apple CarPlay, the smarter and safer way to use your iPhone 5 or newer (iOS 7.1+) in the car. The Pioneer AVIC-W8400NEX supports Apple CarPlay through a wireless connection using WiFi and Bluetooth (both connections must be made) or a hardwired USB connection using its rear-panel USB-1 port. Apple CarPlay gives iPhone users an incredibly intuitive way to make calls, use Maps, listen to music, and access messages through Siri voice control and the Pioneer receiver's touchscreen controls.
- Maps: Apple CarPlay brings the power and simplicity of Apple Maps to your dashboard; complete with turn-by-turn direction, traffic conditions, and estimated travel time. You can enter a new destination or choose a favorite or recent destination using the head unit's touchscreen or by simply asking Siri. CarPlay can also predict where you most likely want to go using addresses from your email, text messages, contacts, and calendars. You can even listen to music from your Apple CarPlay device or other connected source device while using Apple Maps.If you have iOS 12.0 or newer on your iPhone with the latest version of Google Maps or Waze (coming soon), you can choose to navigate via Google Maps or Waze instead of CarPlay. Google Maps and Waze do not support Siri voice control, but will have there own proprietary voice control function which has to be accessed through a touchscreen icon on the receiver.
- Phone & Messages: Via Apple CarPlay, you'll be able to make calls, return missed calls, and listen to voicemails through the Pioneer head receiver. Siri can also help you do all these things. In addition, Siri can send, read, and reply to your text messages for you; so you never have to look at your iPhone while driving.
- Music Library: Through Apple CarPlay, you can access your artists, song, playlists, and iTunes Radio on your iPhone using the Pioneer head unit's touchscreen. Or, just tell Siri what you'd like to listen to. The head unit's touchscreen will display song/artist information, as well as album art in the background.
- Apps: CarPlay also supports additional audio apps that you've downloaded to your iPhone for enjoying music, radio, sports, news, podcasts, & audiobooks. Control them from the head unit's touchscreen just like you would from your iPhone. Apple continues to add more apps to CarPlay. Current supported apps include (fees may apply) -
- Before using CarPlay, you will need to pair your iPhone to the receiver via Bluetooth and connect the phone to the receiver via a USB cable, or press and hold the "mic" button on the front-panel of the receiver, to make a WiFi connection between the receiver and your iPhone - follow the receiver's on-screen prompts.
- If you are using a hardwired connection, make sure to plug your phone into the USB-1 port.
- Use the included USB extension cable and an "Apple Certified" Lightning-to-USB extension cable (not included) for connection. Any other USB extension cable or non-certified cable can cause CarPlay to malfunction.
- Bluetooth hands-free phone and wireless music streaming cannot be used while Apple CarPlay is being used with a connected iPhone.
Wireless Android Auto: The Pioneer receiver supports the Android Auto app for select Android smartphones using a wired or wireless connection. You can connect Google's Pixel, Pixel XL, Pixel 2, Pixel 2XL, Pixel 3, Pixel 3XL, Nexus 6P, and Nexus 5X (running Android OS 8.0 Oreo or higher and version 3.1 or higher of the Android Auto app) to the Pioneer receiver wirelessly using WiFi and Bluetooth (both wireless connections must be made; a wired USB connection must be made initially between the Android phone and the Pioneer receiver to setup Wireless Android Auto). Android smartphones running Lollipop 5.0 or higher can be connected to the Pioneer receiver's USB-2 port using the included USB extension cable and USB cable that came with your smartphone, plus be paired via Bluetooth. Android Auto extends the Android platform into your car in a way that's purpose-built for driving and automatically brings you useful information and organizes it into one simple on-screen interface. It's designed to minimize distraction so you can stay focused on the road ahead. Features of Android Auto include -
- Google Assistant: The Pioneer receiver enhances your Android Auto experience even more by incorporating Google Assistant using the head unit's external microphone and your car speakers for voice command and text-to-speech, which makes using Android Auto and all of its integrated applications fast, easy, and safe. You will need to press the "mic" button or say "OK Google" to activate the Google Assistant. Use the Google Assistant to make call, send a message, reply to a message, get driving directions, or listen to music.
- Google & Waze Maps: Use Google Maps to get where you're going with on-screen maps, voice-guided navigation, live traffic information, lane guidance, and more. Select your destination by using the head unit's touchscreen or just say where you want to go through the unit's external mic and Google Speech Technology. You can even listen to music from your Android Auto device or other connected source device while using Google Maps. If you prefer, you can switch over to a simpler version of the community-based Waze navigation app (version 4.27 or higher).
- Phone & SMS: With Android Auto you get access to your contacts and messages through the Pioneer NEX receiver while keeping your eyes on the road. Use the unit's external mic and Google Speech Technology to make a phone call, or have your text-messages read aloud to you while you concentrate on the road ahead; you can even reply to texts via voice command.
- Music: Access your Android smartphone's music library through the Pioneer receiver via Google Play Music. You'll be able to browse music like you do on your smartphone with song/artist information display and album art. Use the receiver's touchscreen to select songs or just say what song you want to listen to through the head unit's external mic and Google Speech Technology. You also get access to online music and radio stations from Amazon Music, Pandora, Spotify, iHeart Radio, Slacker Radio, & Tune-In. Music apps include song and station browsing, plus song/artist information and album art or station logo.
- Click here to learn more about Android Auto Wireless compatible phones.
- If you are using a hardwired connection, make sure to plug your phone into the USB-2 port.
- Android smartphones with a USB Type-C connector (including the Pixel) may not function without appropriate USB Type-A to USB Type-C cable. Click here for more details.
- Bluetooth hands-free phone and wireless music streaming cannot be used while Android Auto is being used with a connected Android smartphone.
- Use a USB cable that is under 6' long and avoid using any extension cable other than the one supplied.
AppRadio Mode+ (for iPhone & Android): The Pioneer navigation receiver features AppRadio Mode+ for Apple iPhones (iOS 9.0+) with Lightning connector and select Android (OS 4.4+) smartphones. AppRadio Mode+ gives you the ability to view and control compatible iPhone and Android smartphone apps from the receiver's touchscreen using a one-cable USB connection. You'll need to download Pioneer's AppRadio app (for Apple iOS 7.0+ / Android OS 4.4+) and the AppRadioLive app (Apple iOS 9.0+ / Android OS 4.4+) onto your compatible iPhone or Android smartphone. Once you have downloaded the apps, your compatible iPhone or Android smartphone simply connects to the Pioneer navigation receiver's USB input using the cable that came with your mobile device. Now that the AppRadio and AppRadioLive apps are downloaded, and your compatible Apple iPhone or Android smartphone is connected the navigation receiver, you have access to maps, media, news information, and your events calendar through the receiver's intuitive touchscreen interface.
- Maps: AppRadio Mode+, along with AppRadioLive use the native maps from your smartphone overlaid with INRIX live traffic data to provide live traffic and incident information to give you an estimated time of arrival at your chosen destination. Once you select your destination, you'll be guided along your route via an on-screen map and audible voice prompts. Selected destinations can also be sent to popular compatible apps like Navmii or Genius Maps. You can even use Yelp to find points of interest along the way, including restaurant ratings and reviews.
- Media: AppRadio Mode+ and AppRadioLive let you play your stored music library directly from your smartphone through the Pioneer navigation receiver. And, you can access over 60,00 internet radio stations from Radionomy. Or, you can access over 25,000+ radio shows and podcasts from your Stitcher account.
- Events: In addition, AppRadio One and AppRadioLive keep you up-to-date on the latest news stories, RSS feeds and weather information with Feedly and Open Weather Map. With text-to-speech technology, the Pioneer receiver will even read you the latest news stories from the internet.
- Calendar: The AppRadio One and AppRadio Live applications also keep your life organized and makes it easier to stay in touch and have fun. With multiple viewing options within its sleek, simple user interface, you can access your smartphone and Facebook calendars in one place, RSVP to Facebook events and use EventSeeker to find nearby concerts and events based on your personal interests and location.
- Your compatible iPhone will need to be connected to the unit's USB 1 port.
- Your compatible Android smartphone will need to be connected to the unit's USB 2 port.
Miracast for Android (Wireless Mirroring): Wi-Fi Certified Miracast lets you wirelessly send the display of your compatible Android OS 4.2+ device that also supports Miracast to the Pioneer receiver's touchscreen monitor. This allows you to view practically any content that is playing on your compatible Android device on the receiver's touchscreen (vehicle's parking brake must be engaged). Control will still be done from your Android device's touchscreen (not the Pioneer receiver). Click here to check for Miracast compatible Android smartphones and tablets.
- Miracast (wireless mirroring) will require that the vehicle's parking brake be engaged to mirror your smartphone or view any content from your smartphone on the Pioneer receiver's touchscreen monitor. Only audio content will be heard without the vehicle's parking brake engaged.
- The Apple iPhone does not support Miracast or wireless mirroring.
iPod Direct Connect: The Pioneer AVIC-W8400NEX's rear-panel USB port can be used to connect your Apple device with Lightning connector to the head unit. You'll need a Lightning-to-USB cable to connect your Apple device with Lightning connector to the head unit's USB-1 port. The USB connection allows for audio playback, music navigation, information display (including album art), and charging of your compatible iPhone or iPod.
- Audio Control: From the head unit's touchscreen, you can search your iPod/iPhone's audio content by Radio, Playlist, Artist, Album, Song, Podcast, Genre, Composer, or Audiobook. Once you have selected a category, you can search each category alphabetically (A-Z). In addition, the head unit offers Link Search, which allows you to play songs related to the currently playing song. Link Search lets the head unit create an album list of the currently playing artist, a song list of the currently playing album, or an album list of the currently playing genre. You can also select Random & Repeat functions for a certain song or specific folder. You'll still be able to control your iPod or iPhone from the device's touchscreen too.
- Song/Artist/Album Info: In addition, the head unit will display your iPod/iPhone's stored music information including Elapsed playing time, Artist name, Song & Album title, as well as Album Art.
Note: The unit will only recognize up to 16,000 songs loaded on an iPod or iPhone.
Apple Device Compatibility Chart: The Pioneer AVIC-W8400NEX supports the following iPod/iPhone model functions (as of 5/24/5018):
|Apple Device||Generation||Tested Version||Media Type||Control Type||Compatible Apps||Display Type||Bluetooth||Charge|
|Audio||Video||CarPlay||Head Unit||iPod/iPhone||AppRadio||Pandora||Song/Artist Text||Track Info||Album Art||Phone||Audio||Siri|
- Not compatible with Apple iPod/iPhone devices with a 30-pin connector.
- Apple iPod/iPhone software updates may change functionality results. If you download a newer software version, you may need to reset the head unit and your iPod/iPhone to regain functionality. If this doesn't work, you may need to wait until a newer software update is available.
Data Plan Required: Your iPhone or Android smartphone will need an active Data Plan account with connection to the Internet via 3G, EDGE, or LTE (4G) for CarPlay, Android Auto, & AppRadio to function. Access to CarPlay, Android Auto & AppRadio's online app services will depend on the availability of a cellular network for purposes of allowing your iPhone or Android smartphone to connect to the Internet. App services may not be available in all regions.
Smartphone Charging: The head unit's USB connections provide 5V/1.5A of current to power and charge your connected iPod/iPhone or Android devices when your vehicle's ignition switch is set to the 'ACC' or 'On' position. If your mobile device has no initial battery charge, then the unit will not recognize it.
Smartphone Setup: Before connecting your smartphone device, you will need to indicate whether you are using an iPhone or Android smartphone in the Pioneer receiver's menu.
Bluetooth 4.1: The AVIC-W8400NEX is equipped with built-in Bluetooth 4.1, allowing you to make and receive phone calls wirelessly through the receiver; as well as stream music wirelessly from your smartphone to the head unit. In order to use Bluetooth wireless technology, your phone must also be Bluetooth compatible and be able to interpret certain profiles. This unit is compatible with the following Bluetooth Profiles:
- Hands-Free Communication: HFP 1.6 (Hands Free Profile), PBAB 1.0 (Phone Book Access Profile).
- Audio Streaming: A2DP 1.3 (Advanced Audio Distribution Profile), AVRCP 1.6 (Audio/Video Remote Control Profile).
Note: Due to the differences in Bluetooth technology, some Bluetooth enabled devices may be incompatible, function improperly, or may not support all features when used with the Pioneer AVIC-W8400NEX.
Multi-Device Pairing Dual Phone Connection: Up to 5 Bluetooth-compatible devices (2 phones/1 audio player) can be paired to this head unit. You are even able to keep two Bluetooth-enabled smartphones connected at the same time, so you can switch between phones from the head unit's touchscreen, without having to connect or re-connect devices.
- SPP (Secure Simple Pairing): With Secure Simple Pairing (SSP), you can easily pair a Bluetooth enabled phone to the AVIC-W8400NEX without having to enter pin codes or go through complicated settings.
- Auto Re-Connection: Once an already paired Bluetooth device is in close proximity to the receiver, the auto connection function automatically links the head unit and device together. If two Bluetooth devices were connected the last time, the two devices are connected to this unit automatically in the order that they are registered in the device list.
Hands-Free Communication (w/ External Mic): The Pioneer AVIC-W8400NEX supports wireless hands-free communication for your Bluetooth enabled mobile phone. Thanks to the latest Hands-Free Profile (HFP 1.6) with wideband speech capability, the AVIC-W8400NEX provides more natural sound quality and details during wireless calls. The AVIC-W8400NEX allows you to carry on a phone conversation from your Bluetooth enabled mobile phone using the head unit's external microphone and your car audio speakers. During a conversation you can adjust the volume, as well as switch between the Private Mode (talking directly on your cell phone) and the Hands Free Mode.
- Answering A Call: During an incoming phone call, the head unit will display the caller's information and an audible ring tone will be heard through your vehicle's speakers. You can manually answer an incoming call or have the unit automatically answer the call.
- Making A Call: The AVIC-W8400NEX offers a variety of ways
to make call using the in-dash receiver.
- Direct Dialing: You can make a call by entering the phone number using the head unit's touchscreen keypad.
- Preset Dialing: You can store up to six phone numbers as presets for quicker dialing.
- Phone Book: The phone book (up to 1,000 contacts) in your Bluetooth enabled mobile phone will be transferred automatically when the phone is paired to this unit. After finding the number you want to call in the phone book from the head unit, you can select the entry and make the call. If a lot of numbers are registered in the phone book, you can search for a phone number by the contact person's name alphabetically.
- Call History: The 80 most recent calls dialed, received, and missed are stored in memory. You can browse them and call numbers from these lists.
- Voice Dialing via Siri: When paired and connected with an iPhone 4S or later via Bluetooth, the Pioneer head unit has the ability to access Siri through its touchscreen controls and external microphone. You'll be able to dial a phone number or contact via voice command.
Note: Advanced phone operations that require attention, such as dialing numbers on the touchscreen monitor or adjusting Bluetooth settings, are prohibited while driving. The vehicle's parking brake must be engaged to access these functions.
Wireless Audio Streaming: The Pioneer AVIC-W8400NEX also supports wireless audio playback (AD2P) and control (AVRCP) of a Bluetooth enabled audio player or smartphone. The head unit can stream music stored on your Bluetooth enabled device or music apps you have downloaded on your device. When an incoming call or outgoing call is in progress from your Bluetooth enabled mobile phone, audio streaming will be paused so you can take your call.
- Advanced Music Navigation: In addition to basic playback functions (Play/Pause, FF/RW, Skip, Random/Repeat), the AVIC-W8400NEX lets you browse your stored music by Playlist, Artist, Album, Song, etc.. (AVRCP 1.4 phones only; which includes Android 4.0+ and iPhone 5.0+).
- Song/Artist Info: The head unit will also display your stored music's and music app's song information; such as Artist name and Song/Album title (app must also support).
Siri Eyes-Free Functionality: When paired and connected to an iPhone with Siri via Bluetooth, the Pioneer AVIC-W8400NEX has the ability to access Siri through its touchscreen and external microphone for Siri Eyes-Free functionality. When activated, Siri voice prompts play through the vehicle's speakers and the user's commands and questions are received and transmitted to the receiver using the external microphone. Siri Eyes-Free provides access to many iPhone Siri functions such as music selection, making phone calls, and audible navigation (map will be displayed on iPhone); as well as listening to text messages, calendar information, and reminders. The head unit's audio is muted while Siri provides audible voice prompts.
Note: The head unit's touchscreen monitor will only indicate hands-free calling and song/artist information (all other functions of Siri are only audible through the Pioneer AVIC-W8400NEX; visual data will still need to be viewed from your iPhone device).
Pandora Internet Radio: The free Pandora App (for Apple iOS 10.0+ or Android OS 4.0+) lets you play music from the Pandora music service through the Pioneer AVIC-W8400NEX using your USB or Bluetooth connected Apple iPhone, or Bluetooth connected Android smartphone. Your iPhone or Android smartphone will also need an active Data Plan account with connection to the Internet via 3G, EDGE, LTE (4G), or WiFi. The Pioneer AVIC-W8400NEX will provide control over the Pandora music service & display Artist, Album, & Song information; as well as Album art.
- Station List + Presets: You can select Pandora stations from your Station List by date or alphabetically. You can also store six Pandora Radio preset stations for even easier recall.
- New Stations: New stations can be created based on the current songs or artists playing.
- Shuffle: You can also listen to songs played randomly from various stations within your Station List.
- Skip Songs: You can skip song tracks within a station. You cannot skip back to a previous song. Pandora limits the number of skips allowed.
- Thumbs Up/Down: You can give songs a thumbs up or thumbs down to help Pandora personalize stations to suit your preferences.
- Bookmarking: The song/artist currently being played can be bookmarked & stored in your Pandora account.
Apple Music Radio: You can playback Apple Music Radio on your USB-connected Apple iOS device through the Pioneer AVIC-W8400NEX. With a WiFi or cellular connection, you can listen to Beats 1 and other live radio stations. Apple Music subscribers can also listen to on-demand stations for every genre or create their own stations. You can use the head unit's touchscreen to select between your Apple Music Radio stations, playback songs similar to the current song, stop playback of the current song, and add the current song to your iTunes wish list. Apple Music Radio playback is compatible with the following Apple iOS devices -
- iPhone: X, 8+/8, 7+/7, 6S+/6S/6+/6, 5S/5C/5, SE, & 4S - running iOS 9.3.5 or newer
- iPod: touch (6th, 5th generation) - running at iOS 9.3.5 or newer
Note: Your Apple iOS device will need an active Data Plan account with connection to the Internet via 3G, EDGE, LTE (4G), or WiFi.
SiriusXM 3.0 Ready: The Pioneer AVIC-W8400NEX is SiriusXM 3.0 Ready so you can listen to commercial-free music, all your favorite sports, exclusive talk and entertainment, comedy, news, traffic, weather, and more. Simply activate a SiriusXM Radio subscription (fees will apply) and connect the SiriusXM Connect Vehicle Tuner (220SXV300, sold separately) to the dedicated port on the rear of the receiver for playback and control of satellite radio. Check out the most popular SiriusXM subscription packages here.
- Channel/Category Lists + Song/Artist/Album Info: The Channel List displays a list of all available channels. The Category List displays all available categories and stations within those categories. Displayed Information such as Channel Name, Artist Name, & Song Title can be viewed on the head unit's LCD touchscreen. You also get station logo identification and album art.
- Category Scan + Instant Replay: During Category Scan, the live broadcast for each channel in the current category plays for six seconds at a time. The SiriusXM Instant Replay function lets you pause, rewind, and replay up to 60 minutes of live content from the station that you are currently listening to.
- SmartFavorite Presets + Featured Favorites: You can store up to 18 SiriusXM Satellite Radio Station Presets with special tuning features such as TuneStart, TuneScan, & TuneMix (see below). Featured Favorites are groups of channels that are created by the SiriusXM Programming department allowing to discover new channels. Featured Favorite channels are dynamic and can change often, allowing you to discover new channels.
- TuneStart, TuneScan, & TuneMix: TuneStart automatically start songs from the beginning when you tune to one of your SmartFavorite music channels stored on the current band of presets. TuneScan lets you scan through short previews of songs you may have missed on music channels stored on the current band of SmartFavorite presets. TuneMix plays a unique blend of songs from music channels stored in the current SmartFavorite preset band.
- Traffic, Weather, & Sports: You can tune in and listen quickly to information pertaining to weather and traffic from a particular city you have specified. You can also be alerted when your favorite sports teams are playing so you can tune to the appropriate station quickly.
- Parental Control: The SiriusXM Parental Control feature allows you to control access to channels that you consider inappropriate for younger listeners. When enabled, The Parental Control feature requires you to enter a 4-digit passcode to tune to the locked channels.
Note: A separate SiriusXM Satellite Radio subscription is required (operates on the XM Network). However, you can easily add this SiriusXM tuner to an existing Sirius or XM account for a Multi-Radio Discount Plan.
HD Radio: The Pioneer AVIC-W8400NEX's built-in HD Radio tuner lets you listen to the radio with the same fidelity as your digital music. HD Radio features high quality audio, FM multi-casting, and data services. With HD Radio, your FM stations offer near CD-quality sound, AM stations provide FM-like sound, and there is crystal-clear reception with no audio distortion. Best of all, HD Radio is 100% subscription free. The unit's tuner also supports analog AM/FM broadcasts.
- Supertuner IIID: The Supertuner IIID features Feed Forward Control, which avoids multi-path interference. This pre-detection of interference enables quick filter control and results in less distortion. In addition, the Supertuner IIID creates enhanced stereo during multi-path interference, unlike conventional tuners that collapse to mono. Digital processing reduces distortion, and improves Signal-to-Noise Ratio and stereo separation. Advanced analog technology improves signal processing sensitivity.
- Station Text/Album Art + RDS: AM/FM digital stations can offer text and data such as artist names and song titles. The head unit also supports Album Art from select HD Radio stations. For analog FM stations, the Radio Data System (RDS) feature displays radio broadcast information such as song/artist information when listening to compatible RDS FM stations.
- Multicasting: In addition to conventional broadcasts, with HD Radio broadcasting it is possible to choose from up to 3 multicast programs (HD1 to HD3, and analog). There are also data programs for each program.
- Reception Blending: If a digital broadcast reception condition gets poor, this unit automatically switches to the analog broadcast of the same frequency level. If this function is set to "On", the tuner switches between digital broadcast and analog broadcast automatically. If this function is 'Off', reception will be conducted within an analog broadcast.
- BSM (Best Stations Memory): The BSM (Best Stations Memory) function lets you automatically store the six strongest analog or HD stations under preset buttons 1-6 of the currently tuned band. The tuner has 3 FM banks and 1 AM bank. You can store 6 presets for each bank giving you a total of 18 FM presets and 6 AM presets.
- Local Tuning: Local seek tuning lets you tune in only those radio stations with sufficiently strong signals for good reception. There are 4 level of sensitivity for FM and two levels for AM. The higher settings allow reception of only the strongest stations, while lower settings let you receive progressively weaker stations.
Note: HD Radio is the system for digital AM and FM broadcasting in the U.S. More than 2,000 radio stations are broadcasting their primary signals in digital HD Radio technology, as a free service. Go to www.hdradio.com to check for HD Radio stations in your area.
Compatible Discs: The 6.94" touchscreen display electronically slides down to load and eject your DVD/CD discs. The AVIC-W8400NEX supports playback of DVD-Video, DVD-R/RW, CD-Audio, and CD-R/RW discs with video, audio, and photo files.
Dual USB Ports: The unit's dual USB ports and 58" USB extension cable allow you to connect a USB Mass Storage Class (MSC) device, such as USB thumbdrive or portable digital music player. The USB port enables playback & control of music, video, and photo files stored on your portable USB MSC device through the Pioneer AVIC-W8400NEX. USB devices that can be charged via USB will be charged when plugged into the receiver's USB ports (1.5A) and the vehicle's ignition switch is set to ACC or On.
Note: Connection of a USB hub or card-reader is not supported. Connection of AOA & MTP devices are not supported.
SD Card Slot: The Pioneer AVIC-W8400NEX features a hidden SD card slot (located behind the motorized touchscreen monitor) which will accept SD (up to 2GB) and SDHC (up to 32GB) memory cards for playback of a variety of music, video, and photo files.
Compatible Media Files: The Pioneer AVIC-W8400NEX supports the following types of audio, video, and photo files recorded onto a disc, USB device, or SD memory card.
|Media Type||Disc: CD (-R/RW), DVD (-R/-RW/-R DL)||Flash Memory: USB MSC, SD/SDHC|
|File System||ISO9660 Level 1 or 2, Romeo Joliet||FAT 16/32 or NTFS|
|Playable File Types||Audio|| |
MP3: 8-320kbps bit
rate; 16-48kHz sampling rates
8-320kbps bit rate; 16-48kHz sampling rates |
WMA: 48-320kbps bit rate; 32-48kHz sampling rates
AAC: 16-320kbps bit rate; 11.025-48kHz sampling rates
WAV: 8 or 16-bit rate; 16-48.1kHz sampling rates
FLAC: 24-bit rate; 8-192kHz sampling rates
Files: MPEG 1/2/4, DivX |
Max Resolution: 720 x 1280 (MPEG), 720 x 576 (DivX)
Max Frame Rate: 30 fps
Max File Size: 4GB
Files: AVI, MPEG2, MPEG4, H.264, WMV, FLV, MKV |
Max Resolution: 1920 x 1080
Max Frame Rate: 30 fps
Max File Size: 4GB
|Photo||N/A||JPEG: max resolution of 8192 x 7680|
|Maximum # of Folders/Files|| |
700 folders/999 files (700 folders/3,500 files for DVD)
|65,536 folders/65,536 files|
|Tags||ID3 tags (ver. 1.0,/1.1/2.2/2.3/2.4), WMA-tags, AAC-tags|
Note: Videos and Photos can only be viewed when the vehicle's parking brake is engaged.
Advanced Playback & Search Functions (for USB & SD/SDHC): Advance playback functions include; Music Browsing which lets you browse your USB & SD/SDHC memory device's music library by Artist, Album, Song, or Genre from the head unit in alphabetical order; and Link Search which allows you to play songs related to the currently playing song. Link Search lets the head unit create an album list of the currently playing artist, a song list of the currently playing album, or an album list of the currently playing genre.
Direct DVD Search: During DVD playback, you can go directly to a specific Title or Chapter by entering the number using the unit's touchscreen numeric keypad.
Parental Lock: This unit features an 8-level Parental Lock system protected by a user-selected 4-digit password to prevent certain DVD's from being played back on the AVIC-W8400NEX.
24-Bit/192kHz DAC: The Pioneer AVIC-W8400NEX is equipped with a 24-bit/192kHz digital-to-analog converter for superb quality audio playback from disc, USB, iPod/iPhone, Android, and Bluetooth.
MOSFET50 Internal Amplifier: This receiver is equipped with a 50 watts x 4 (peak) MOSFET amplifier for low distortion, high power output. The amplifier is strong enough to power small subwoofers to moderate volume levels in compact cars and pickups. For higher volume levels from subwoofers, an optional amplifier may be connected to the preamp outputs.
- CTA-2006 Specs: 14 watts RMS x 4 channels (at 4 ohms, 20Hz-20kHz, 1% THD-N)
- Continuous Power Output: 22 watts RMS x 4 channels (at 4 ohms, 50Hz-15kHz, 5% THD)
- Maximum Power Output: 50 watts x 4 channels (or 50 watts x 2 channels at 4 ohms + 70 watts x 1 channel at 2 ohms for subwoofer)
Note: The power specifications for the AVIC-W8400NEX are compliant with the CTA-2006 Mobile Amplifier Power Testing and Measurement standards from the Consumer Technology Association (CTA). These standards were developed as a way to equitably compare power specs from model to model and between manufacturers.
4V/6CH Preamp Outputs + Sub Control: The Pioneer AVIC-W8400NEX features three pair of 4.0-volt preamp outputs (Front/Rear/Subwoofer). The unit's front and rear preamp output can be faded (front/rear), while the subwoofer preamp output is non-fading. The Pioneer AVIC-W8400NEX lets you adjust the subwoofer preamp output's phase (normal/reverse) and volume (+6 to -24).
Crossovers: The AVIC-W8400NEX employs high pass and low pass crossovers to tailor the head unit to your connected speakers.
- HPF: The head unit's variable 6/12/18db per octave high pass filter only allows frequencies higher than those in the selected range (50, 63, 80, 100, 125, 160, or 200Hz) to your front and rear speakers through the unit's speaker-level or line-level outputs.
- LPF: The subwoofer preamp output features a 6, 12, or 18dB/octave low pass filter so only frequencies lower than those in the selected range (50, 63, 80, 100, 125, 160, or 200Hz) are output to your connected subwoofer.
EEQ (Easy EQ) w/ 13-Band Graphic EQ: There are seven stored equalizer curves which you can easily recall at any time. You can choose from - Powerful, Natural, Vocal, Super Bass, Flat, Custom 1, or Custom 2. The Custom 1 and Custom 2 EQ modes allow you to manually adjust the level (+/- 12dB) of each band of the head unit's 13-band graphic equalizer (50, 80, 125, 200, 315, 500, 800, 1.25k, 2k, 3.15k, 5k, 8k, and 12.5k Hz).
Auto EQ (Optional): The auto-equalizer automatically measures your car's interior acoustic characteristics, and then creates an auto-equalizer curve base on that information. The Pioneer CD-MC20 Auto-EQ microphone (130CDMC20, sold separately) is required to use this function. The Pioneer CD-MC20 Auto-EQ microphone plugs into the Pioneer receiver's "Auto EQ Mic" 3.5mm jack located behind the motorized touchscreen monitor. The Auto-EQ microphone should be placed in the center of your vehicle's driver seat headrest facing forward for EQ measurement.
Audio Settings: The head unit provides further sound adjustments for your car audio system.
- Listening Position & Time Alignment: For a better sound-stage you can select your optimal listening position. You can choose from All, Front Left, Front Right, or Front. You can also select to manually fine tune the sound stage, using Digital Time Alignment (DTA) by selecting the distance (0-200") for each individual speaker in the vehicle compared to your listening position.
- Advanced Sound Retriever: The Advanced Sound Retriever automatically enhances compressed audio and restores the original richness of the recording. When the Advanced Sound Retriever is on, the high frequency range is compensated to match the frequency response curve to the original sound. There are two available levels of the Advanced Sound Retriever effect.
- Source Level Adjustment (SLA): This function lets you adjust the volume level of each source (AM, Pandora, iPod, Apps) to prevent radical changes in volume when switching between sources. Settings are based on the unit's FM volume level, which remains unchanged. Each source can be independently adjusted from -4 dB to +4 dB.
- Bass Boost: There is also a Bass Boost level adjustment that be set from 0 to 6.
Key Beep: The in-dash head unit provides an audible beep to confirm button operation; this can be turned On or Off.
Dual AV Inputs: The Pioneer AVIC-W8400NEX has dual AV inputs to connect two external audio/video sources. The head unit has a rear-panel 3.5mm minijack AV input for connecting a portable audio/video device. There is also a rear-panel composite video/stereo RCA AV input for connecting a video component such as a mobile TV tuner or game console.
Note: For safety reasons, video images from the AV inputs cannot be displayed on the receiver's touchscreen monitor without the vehicle's parking brake engaged.
HDMI Input: The Pioneer head unit's HDMI input can be used to connect an iPhone/iPod touch with Lightning connector (using an Apple AV adapter - sold separately), an Android smartphone/tablet (using a MHL adapter - sold separately), Blu-ray player, TV tuner or game system. The HDMI input will provide video and audio playback. Playback functions will need to be controlled from your HDMI-connected device (not the Pioneer head unit).
Note: For safety reasons, video images from the HDMI input cannot be displayed on the receiver's touchscreen monitor without the vehicle's parking brake engaged.
AV Output (w/ Dual Zone): The unit features a composite video jack and 3.5mm audio jack to output AV signals to an optional monitor and headphone system. You can simultaneously enjoy the same or different sources in the front and rear of your vehicle. The unit's dual zone AV output can be set to Mirror, Disc, AV-In, USB-1, SD, or Off. The Mirror mode simply outputs the same audio/video signal (not including Navigation, USB-2, HDMI, Miracast, AppRadio, CarPlay, or Android Auto) which is playing on the head unit's touchscreen monitor to your connected rear monitor/headphone system.
Note: USB and SD cannot be selected for playback in the rear of the vehicle when CarPlay or Android Auto is active.
Camera Input: The AVIC-W8400NEX is equipped with a composite video rear-view camera input for the addition of an optional backup camera (130NDBC8, sold separately). The receiver's composite AV input can also be configured to add a second camera, such as a front dash cam (sold separately). The dedicated rear-view camera input offers two view modes -
- Auto View: The unit features a function that automatically switches to the rear camera image. When the vehicle's transmission is put in reverse, the screen automatically switches to the rear view camera (violet/white wire of the harness must be connected to the vehicle's reverse lamp circuit for automatic video switching). Automatic video switching takes approximately 0.8 seconds.
- Camera View: There is also a Camera View mode which allows you to manually bring up the rearview camera image on the receiver's touchscreen monitor to check what is behind you while driving. You can leave the Camera View mode on if you want to see the rearview image at all times; for instance when towing a trailer.
Note: The rear view camera feature is meant as a back-up aid only; never solely rely on the rear-view camera when backing-up. In addition to using the rear-view camera, always look behind you to make sure everything is clear when backing up your vehicle.
iDatalink Serial Port: This Pioneer navigation receiver is compatible with the iDatalink Maestro RR (794ADSMRR, sold separately); a web programmable module that will permit the aftermarket Pioneer receiver to work with select Ford/Lincoln/Mercury vehicles that feature the factory SYNC system, select GM vehicles with factory OnStar, select Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep vehicles with U-Connect, plus select Honda/Acura, Toyota/Scion, Volkswagen & Subaru vehicles with factory digital amplifiers.
- Retained Features: The Pioneer navigation receiver lets you retain select factory functions. Retained features will vary by vehicle via the iDatalink Maestro RR. Retained proprietary factory systems can include Ford Sync, GM OnStar, and Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep U-Connect. Other retained factory features may include Steering Wheel Controls, Aux Input, USB Port, Hands-Free Bluetooth, Voice Commands, Satellite Radio, Secondary Display, and more.
- Extra Features: In some installations, the iDatalink Maestro RR let you configure the Pioneer receiver's touchscreen monitor to operate interior climate controls and provides extra visual data; such as User Selectable Gauges, Vehicle Info (Tire Pressure/Battery Voltage/Check Engine Codes/Door Ajar Warning), and Visual Park Assist. These extra features will vary by vehicle.
Note: The iDatalink Maestro RR is web programmable, which means you'll need to flash the iDatalink Maestro RR interface module with the correct firmware from iDatalink's website. In addition to flashing the iDatalink Maestro RR module, you'll also need a vehicle specific harness (sold separately). The Pioneer receiver's OEM Setup menu must also be configured with your compatible vehicle's factory system before initial operation.
Motorized 6.94" Capacitive LCD Touchscreen: The Pioneer AVIC-W8400NEX features a 6.95" (16:9) capacitive LCD touchscreen monitor with a resolution of 2520 x 480, for a total of 1,209,600 pixels. The capacitive LCD touchscreen is highly responsive, powerful, and very intuitive for exceptional control. The capacitive touchscreen offers multi-touch gestures like pinch-to-zoom, plus simple swipe & scroll controls - similar to your smartphone's touchscreen interface. From the touchscreen you'll not only be able to control the head unit and built-in navigation; but also connected source devices such as USB, SD memory card, Bluetooth, iPod/iPhone, and Android smartphone. Menus will appear on screen for making function choices, audio adjustments, and setting up the system. The unit's touchscreen display is motorized; it electronically slides down to load and eject your DVD/CD discs. The angle of the motorized touchscreen display can also be adjusted to five different positions to meet your viewing needs in the car.
- Favorite Menu: You can register the desired menu items on the AVIC-W8400NEX's "Favorites" menu screen. Registering your favorite menu items allows you to quickly jump to the registered menu item by a simple touch on the favorites menu. Up to 12 menu items can be registered as a "Favorite".
- Background (Wallpaper): You can select between a variety of preset background (wallpaper) images for the Menu screen and AV operation screen. You can also download a custom image (maximum 4000 x 4000 pixels) from a USB storage device or SD memory card.
- Picture Adjustments: You can store numerous video settings for the head unit's video sources and rearview camera; including brightness (adjusts the black intensity), contrast (adjusts contrast) color (adjusts color saturation), hue (adjust color tone), and Dimmer (adjusts brightness).
- Widescreen Modes: You can choose from the following widescreen modes when playing back video - Full (4:3 picture is enlarged in the horizontal direction only; enabling you to enjoy a 4:3 picture without any omissions), Zoom (4:3 picture is enlarged in the same proportion both vertically and horizontally; ideal for a 16:9 screen), Normal (4:3 picture is displayed as it is), and Trimming (image is displayed across the entire screen with horizontal-to-vertical ratio left as is).
Note: In addition to the touchscreen controls, the unit includes frequently used push-buttons along the bottom edge of the screen.
Variable Color Illumination: You can adjust the color of the on-screen display; choose between red, amber, green, blue or white. The color of the button illumination can be set to red, amber, green, blue, white, or scan (constantly cycling through the color spectrum). You can also create a custom color for the unit's button illumination to match your vehicle's interior lighting (112 colors to choose from).
Dimmer: To prevent the touchscreen display and button illumination from being too bright at night, the illumination is automatically dimmed when the car's headlights are turned on. The automatic dimmer function only works when the orange/white illumination wire in the wiring harness is connected to the vehicle's headlight circuit. You can also turn on or off the dimmer manually. You can even set a timer for the dimmer to turn on or off.
Remote Control: The Pioneer AVIC-W8400NEX receiver comes with an IR wireless remote control, plus support for factory steering wheel control (adapter sold separately).
- Wireless Remote Control: The Pioneer AVIC-W8400NEX includes an IR remote control for wireless operation of the multimedia head unit and your connected devices.
- Steering Wheel Remote Compatibility: The head unit features an OEM steering wheel remote control input on the rear of the unit that lets you keep your vehicle's factory radio steering wheel remote controls when used with an optional steering wheel audio control adapter (sold separately).
Parking Brake Interlock: This unit has a parking brake interlock system that prohibits viewing of video and operating certain controls when the vehicle is in motion. In order to watch video on the in-dash monitor, the vehicle must be stopped with the parking brake engaged. The head unit's light green wire must be connected to your vehicle's parking brake detection circuit. The head unit's touchscreen will display "Attention! Viewing of front seat video source while driving is strictly prohibited", if you try to watch a video when your vehicle is in motion.
Note: Navigation, CarPlay, Android Auto, and AppRadio do not require that the parking brake be engaged.
Q Crutchfield asked: Why did you buy this?
23 questions already asked