About the Pioneer SPH-DA100 AppRadio 2
Apps move to the big screen
Apps move to the big screen
If you love using apps on your smartphone, put them to work in your car. Pioneer's SPH-DA100 AppRadio 2 smartphone receiver lets you enjoy convenient touchscreen control over many compatible apps on your iPhone® 4/4S or select Android™ (optional adapters required for Android). Best of all, you won't have to fumble around with your phone while you're driving — just reach out and touch the screen.
Note: Find out if your Android phone is compatible with the App Radio 2.
AppRadioLIVE makes it easy
Pioneer's innovative AppRadioLIVE streamlines your app info and functions into one easy-to-use interface. You'll enjoy quick access to your music, media, calendar, and other sources you subscribe to, just by downloading the AppRadioLIVE app and syncing your services. AppRadioLIVE works with your apps to provide visual map guidance and access to points of interest, as well as the ability to search for concerts, shows, and other local events of interest. And you can show several sources of information simultaneously, quickly shifting from one to another with a touch of your finger.
An ever-expanding pool of apps
AppRadio 2 already works with some of the most popular apps available, such as MotionX GPS Drive™, INRIX® traffic, AUPEO! Personal Radio, Pandora® Internet radio, and Pioneer's MIXTRAX. You'll find plenty of apps to enjoy right now, with many more apps coming down the road. You'll have the advantage of a sleek app interface, and the apps will look great on the big 7" capacitive touchscreen, which recognizes all zoom, swipe, and pinch gestures just as if you were using your smartphone.
Talk hands-free and enjoy Pioneer sound quality
Built-in Bluetooth® adds to the versatility of this cool receiver — pair your phone and you'll be able to you talk hands-free, and have access to your phone book from the touchscreen, too. And this full-featured receiver includes Pioneer's powerful MOSFET built-in amp, a 5-band equalizer, AM/FM tuner, and two sets of preamp outputs for connecting outboard amps or powered subs.
Bluetooth note: Use of this receiver's Bluetooth features will depend upon your phone's Bluetooth capabilities. Learn more in our article explaining Bluetooth profiles.
Note: If you're going to use your iPod with this receiver, be sure to check "Details" for specific iPod model compatibility with this receiver.
Complement your setup with a phone mount
The AppRadio 2 requires input from your iPhone from time to time — most notably when running the MotionX GPS Drive app. It's a good idea to mount your iPhone where it's easy to reach. Check out our selection of Pro.Fit mounts.
This smartphone receiver will not play CDs. If you want to play CDs in your vehicle, we offer a wide selection of CD receivers.
- digital media receiver with AM/FM tuner (no built-in CD player)
- touchscreen control over select apps with iPhone®4/4S and iPod®Touch (4th Gen)
- touchscreen control over select apps with select Android™ phones (CD-AH200C interface cable required for Android phones)
- built-in amplifier (14 watts RMS CEA-2006/50 peak x 4 channels)
- built-in Bluetooth for hands-free calling
- 7" capacitive touchscreen display
- 5-band equalizer with 7 preset EQ curves
- built-in iPod control (cable included — not compatible with USB devices)
- included external GPS antenna for boosting signal while using GPS apps
- inputs: rear USB input for iPhone 4/4S, rear-view camera input
- outputs: 4-channel preamp outputs (2-volt front, rear/subwoofer)
Other features and specs:
What's in the box:
- AppRadio 2 smartphone receiver (SPH-DA100)
- Wiring harness
- 7.5' iPod AV cable (with a iPod dock connector/USB connector on one end and a proprietary connector/USB connector on other end)
- Microphone (with attached 13' cable terminated by a right-angle male 2.5mm connector)
- Sun-visor clip
- GPS antenna (with attached 12' cable terminated by a SMB connector)
- Self-adhesive magnetic base
- 6 Pan-head ISO screws (M5 x 6mm)
- 6 Flat-head ISO screws (M5 x 6mm)
- Plastic bracket
- AppRadio Start Up Guide (Eng/Fre)
- Installation Manual (Eng/Fre)
- Important Information for the User (Eng/Fre)
- Warranty Information (USA/Canada)
- Online Product Registration
More details on the Pioneer SPH-DA100 AppRadio 2
Features & specs
|Backup Camera Input||Yes|
|Second Camera Input||No|
|Memory Card Slot||N/A|
|Satellite Radio Ready||No|
|RMS Power (CTA-2006)||14 watts|
|RMS Power (Manufacturer)||---|
|Peak Output||50 watts|
|RMS Power Bandwidth||20-20kHz|
|Sub Preamp Outputs||No|
|Switchable Rear Preamp Outputs||Yes|
|Navigation App Compatible (iOS)|
|Navigation App Compatible (Android)|
|Preamp Voltage||2 volts|
|Key Button Color||White|
|Steering Wheel Control Compatible||Adapter required|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
|FM Sensitivity||17 dBf|
|Radio Data System||Yes|
|Music File Playback||N/A|
AppRadio 2: The Pioneer AppRadio 2 (SPH-DA100) is an innovative car audio system with a 7" capacitive touchscreen display that when used along with the unit's Advanced App Mode, facilitates the use of your connected iPhone 4/4S's or Android smartphone's applications from Pioneer and other providers in the vehicle. In addition to the basic functions, such as AM/FM radio and Bluetooth hands-free phoning, when an iPhone 4/4S, iPhone 5/5C/5S (firmware update required), or Android smartphone is connected you'll have full access to your music, photos, videos, calendars, and select iTunes & Android Market apps.
Note: The AppRadio 2 (SPH-DA100) will require a Firmware Update from Pioneer before it can connect to the Apple iPhone 5/5C/5S.
Apple iOS & Android Compatible: The Pioneer AppRadio is designed specifically for the Apple iPhone 4/4S (with included Apple cable), iPhone 5/5C/5S (using all three cables - CD-IH202 cable/Apple Lightning-to-USB Cable/Apple Lightning-to-Digital AV Adapter; sold separately), and select Android 2.3+ smartphones (with CD-AH200 cable; sold separately). It also offers audio playback functions for other select iPod/iPhone models. Please view the AppRadio Compatible Device List for the latest compatible iPhone 4/4S and Android smartphone information to see if your iPhone 4/4S, iPhone 5/5C/5S, or Android smartphone is compatible with the Pioneer AppRadio 2 (SPH-DA100).
Note: Not all Android devices are compatible with the AppRadio 2. You cannot connect other USB devices, digital audio players, or smartphones. This unit does not contain a CD player, nor does it have CD-changer port.
AppRadio App for iTunes and Android: The Pioneer AppRadio 2 (SPH-DA100) requires that you download the latest Apple iTunes AppRadio app (version 1.5) onto your iPhone 4/4S/5, or the Android Marketplace AppRadio app (version 1.0) onto your compatible Android smartphone.
Start-Up Time: The Pioneer AppRadio 2 has a start-up time of approximately 3.9 seconds from Off to the "Warning" screen. It takes approximately 8.3 seconds to reach the "Launch" screen from the Off position. Once the "Launch" screen is displayed, you must then launch your iPhone 4/4S, iPhone 5/5C/5S, or Android smartphone's AppRadio app (which takes approximately another 7.9 seconds). For a total start-up time of 20.1 seconds. If you launch the AppRadio app on your iPhone 4/4S, iPhone 5/5C/5S, or compatible Android smartphone before powering up the AppRadio 2 (SPH-DA100), it only requires 12.3 seconds to start up.
7" Capacitive Touchscreen Display: The front of the unit features a clean & simple aesthetic look with only five physical buttons (Home, Volume up/down, Menu, Back) combined with a high-resolution WVGA (800 x 480) 7" capacitive touchscreen display. This capacitive touchscreen requires less pressure, responds faster, and can recognize multiple touch points simultaneously; all advantages when compared to traditional resistive touchscreen displays. The AppRadio's 7" capacitive touchscreen offers touch, swipe, pinch, and zoom gestures. Touchscreen control is used for all functions including the app interface, iPod control/playback, AM/FM radio, and Bluetooth hands-free calling features. All of the AppRadio 2's controls have been designed specifically for in-vehicle operation to promote a safe driving experience.
Parking Brake Interlock: This unit has a parking brake interlock system that prohibits viewing of video programming and operating certain controls when the vehicle is in motion. In order to watch video on the in-dash monitor, the vehicle must be parked with the parking brake engaged.
Favorites: You can register the desired menu items on the AppRadio 2's "Favorites" menu screen. Registering your favorite menu items allows you to quickly jump to the registered menu item by a simple touch on the favorites menu. Up to 12 menu items can be registered as a "Favorite".
Widescreen Modes: You can choose from the following widescreen modes when playing back video.
- Full: A 4:3 picture is enlarged in the horizontal direction only, enabling you to enjoy a 4:3 picture without any omissions.
- Zoom: A 4:3 picture is enlarged in the same proportion both vertically and horizontally; ideal for a 16:9 screen.
- Normal: A 4:3 picture is displayed as it is.
Video Adjustments: You can store numerous video settings for the head unit's video source and rear-view camera; including brightness (adjusts the black intensity), contrast (adjusts contrast) color (adjusts color saturation), temperature (adjust the color temperature), and Dimmer (adjusts brightness).
Backgrounds: You can select from 4 background images (Black, Blue, Sunrise, Space) for the head unit's LCD touchscreen.
Demonstration Images: If you do not operate the unit for 30 seconds, demonstration images are displayed. You can turn this function Off.
Multi-Language Text: The Pioneer AppRadio 2 offers English, French, and Spanish menu text.
Rear View Camera: The AppRadio 2 is equipped with a composite video Rear View Camera input. The unit features a function that automatically switches to the rear camera image (Rear View Camera input jack) when an optional rear camera (130NDBC5, sold separately) is installed. When the transmission is in reverse, the screen automatically switches to the rear view camera (the violet/white wire in the 16-pin harness must be connected to the vehicle's reverse lamp circuit for automatic video switching). Automatic video switching takes approximately 1.5 seconds. Pioneer recommends using a camera with a mirror image (reversed) output.
Note: Audio from your music source will continue playing, while the back-up camera is displayed.
2-DIN Chassis: The Pioneer AppRadio 2 has a 2-DIN chassis (also known as "Double DIN" or size DD), and will fit in many vehicles with a large dash opening. The unit can be ISO-mounted using factory brackets. There is also an optional double-DIN sleeve (130ADTV133, sold separately) available for this unit that will allow you to Euro-mount or custom mount the Pioneer head unit in your vehicle. As always, please consult Crutchfield's Outfit My Car to verify fit with your vehicle.
Installation Angle: For optimum playback performance, the unit should be installed at an angle of less than 60-degrees.
AppRadio App: When connected to an iPhone 4/4S (using the supplied Apple AV cable), iPhone 5/5C/5S (using the CD-IH202 cable/Apple Lightning-to-USB Cable/Apple Lightning-to-Digital AV Adapter; all sold separately), or Android smartphone (using the CD-AH200 cable; sold separately) with the Pioneer AppRadio application and compatible third-party apps, the full potential of the AppRadio 2 can be experienced. The AppRadio app allows you to access your Calendar, Contacts, Maps, Photos and more from your iPhone 4/4S, iPhone 5/5C/5S, or Android smartphone and display content directly on the AppRadio 2's larger display. Your app content is optimized for use on the AppRadio 2's capacitive touch screen and all touch, swipe, pinch, and zoom gestures are recognized as if you were directly interacting with your smartphone. The app will even recommend and notify you of the latest compatible apps
Note: The AppRadio 2 will require a firmware update from Pioneer in order to function with the Apple iPhone 5/5C/5S.
Compatible Devices: The AppRadio 2 is compatible with the Apple iOS and Android mobile devices (as of 6/19/2012).
- Apple iOS:
- iPhone: 4/4S (iOS 5.1.1+), 5 (iOS 6.1+)
- Android Mobile:
- HTC: Amaze 4G, EVO 3D, Rezound, Sensation XE (Android 2.3.4)
- LG: Optimus 2X P990 (Android 2.3.4)
- Motorola: Atrix 2, Droid 4, Droid Razr, Droid Razr Maxx (Android 2.3.6)
- Samsung: Droid Charge, Galazy Nexus, Galaxy Note, Galaxy S II, Galaxy S II Epic 4G (Android 2.3.6)
- Sony Ericsson: Xperia arc S, Xperia neo V (Android 2.3.4)
Note: The Samsung Galaxy S3 requires an additional adapter from Samsung (sold separately by manufacturer; not available at Crutchfield). Not all Android devices are guaranteed to be compatible with the AppRadio 2. Please view the AppRadio Compatible Device List for the latest compatible iPhone 4/4S and Android smartphone information.
Compatible Apps: Pioneer has initially partnered with several app providers to integrate AppRadio compatibility into a few of today's most popular apps, formatted specifically for safe use and access in the vehicle. AppRadio compatible apps include Navigation, Music, Video, Photo, Contacts, and Calendar apps. The Pioneer AppRadio app and the compatible apps must be downloaded to your iPhone 4/4S, iPhone 5/5C/5S, or compatible Android smartphone, before you can access these compatible applications from the Pioneer AppRadio 2. You can initially select the app you want from the AppRadio screen, or you can launch the AppRadio app successfully by pressing the HOME hard-key while on a 3rd party app. Once you have selected an app, you will continue control of the selected app via the AppRadio's touchscreen controls, or your iPhone 4/4S, iPhone 5/5C/5S, or Android smartphone touchscreen (based on app protocol). Please visit the Pioneer AppRadio 2 site for the latest compatible apps.
Note: To access compatible apps you must have an Apple iPhone 4/4S, iPhone 5/5C/5S, or compatible Android smartphone with the latest version of the AppRadio application from the Apple's iTunes App Store or Android Market. Your iPhone 4/4S, iPhone 5/5C/5S, or Android smartphone will need an active Data Plan account with connection to the Internet via 3G, EDGE, or WiFi.
Future Apps: The Pioneer AppRadio 2 will recommend and notify you of the latest 3rd party applications that are AppRadio compatible. As the library of AppRadio compatible applications grows, users will be automatically notified via Pioneer's AppRadio iPhone application, with a link to the respective app(s) page within the App Store. Additionally, the AppRadio software itself is updatable offering firmware, software, and app compatibility changes. Visit Pioneer AppRadio 2 site for the latest compatible apps & firmware/software updates.
Navigation Apps: The Pioneer AppRadio 2 (SPH-DA100) supports various navigation apps for the iPhone 4/4S and iPhone 5/5C/5S.
- MotionX-GPS Drive (iPhone 4/4S only): The
MotionX-GPS Drive App ($0.99) is available from iTunes for your iPhone
4/4S (not compatible with iPhone 5/5C/5S). This navigation app also requires
a $24.99 one time fee for the maps to display on-screen, and a one year
$9.99 subscription for Voice Guidance feature. MotionX-GPS Drive is a
complete GPS navigation solution, designed and optimized for the iPhone,
that can be displayed on the Pioneer AppRadio. MotionX-GPS Drive helps you
find what you're looking for and provides turn-by-turn directions with
optional Live Voice Navigation, using industry-leading maps (including US
and Canada). All the functionality of an advanced dedicated turn-by-turn GPS
unit is presented in this intuitive iOS application. MotionX-GPS Drive
Offers full support for the iPhone with multitasking, routing, and live
voice guidance instructions continuing in the background; while you listen
to streaming music from your car audio system or use other applications from
the iPhone. The 2D/3D navigation map will be displayed on the Pioneer
AppRadio, but you will still control the MotionX-GPS Drive Navigation app
from your iPhone. You can enter the following Destination Searches (Go To)
from your iPhone:
- My Current Location: View and navigate to the physical address closest to your current location.
- Browse Map: Select a destination by choosing a point on the map. Your selection will be geo-coded to the closest known physical address.
- Home: Store your home address for quick access. Select from five options: use your current location, pick from your iPhone contacts, use a recently round destination, enter an address, or enter Lat/Lon coordinates.
- Contacts: Navigate to an address from your iPhone address book. Scroll to find the contact, then touch the field that contains their address.
- Address/Intersection/City/Zip Code: Enter an address for navigating. As you start to type the city, state and zip code fields, a drop-down list will appear from which you can select the appropriate entry. Enter a street intersection, defined by two road names, for navigating. Enter a city for navigating; the approximate center of the city will be used for your destination. Enter a US zip code or Canadian postal code.
- POIs/Airports/Emergency: List of Points of Interest in your current vicinity (Around Me tab). Select the Specify Location tab to search in an alternate location (enter city or zip/postal code). List of airports in your current vicinity (Around Me tab). Select the Specify Location tab to search in an alternate location (enter city or zip/postal code). List of physicians' offices, medical clinics and hospitals. Select the Specify Location tab to search in an alternate location (enter city or zip/postal code).
- Recently Found/Frequent Destinations/Favorites: List of all recently found addresses, businesses, and points of interest. List of your most frequently visited destinations. List of all destinations designated as a favorite.
- Saved Destinations/Parking Spots: List of your saved destinations. List of your saved parking spots.
- Latitude/Longitude Define a destination by entering the latitude and longitude coordinates.
- Navfree USA/Canada/Mexico (iOS only): Navfree offers
turn-by-turn directions, voice & on-screen instructions, as well as offline map
use and address search, along with live search via Google and Microsoft Bing,
among many other features.
is a completely free navigation app for the iPhone with no additional monthly charges. It uses map data created by a
community of thousands of users around the world. The map gets downloaded to the
phone so data connection is not required for navigating. Navigation functions
- Map Display: Navfree provides On-board maps, so no data connection required to browse maps or use the address search. You can select between 2D or 3D map mode in day- or night-time color mode. You're able to browse maps with multi-touch dragging and scrolling. The map will automatically zoom in & out at turns and junctions.
- Destination Search: Search by the exact address or postcode of your destination. Simple POI search is also available (points of interest: café's, restaurants, museums etc.) or use Google or Microsoft Bing to find millions of local places and then fast route to and from their locations. In addition, instant routing lets you select any point on the map to route to.
- Route Guidance: Its fast routing engine allows you to calculate long routes in seconds. Routing options include; fastest, easiest, most economical, etc. A demo route allows you to preview your route in real time before you leave. A direction list allows you to check each step of your journey. If you miss a turn, Navfree reroutes you automatically
- INRIX Traffic (iOS only): INRIX is a leading provider of highly accurate traffic
services. INRIX's strategic partnership with Clear Channel Radio and Total
Traffic Network extends the delivery of the highest quality data and broadest
coverage available for personal navigation. The
INRIX Traffic app ($24.95 per month) for iPhone provides real-time traffic information and traffic forecasts for all
major highways, interstates, arterials and city streets nationwide. Traffic
information will be displayed on the AppRadio, while control is still handled
from the iPhone. INRIX
Traffic offers the following benefits.
- Avoid delays with real-time traffic info from the world's largest traffic network.
- View traffic incidents on your route such as accidents, police, constructions, and other events.
- Know your best time to leave based on predicted traffic conditions.
- Compare your current traffic conditions from what is normal.
Note: The AppRadio 2 comes supplied with a GPS antenna that features a magnetic base and an attached 12' cable. The antenna screws into the SMB connector on back of the radio and can be mounted on your dash with the included self-adhesive magnetic pad.
Driver Assistant Apps: The Pioneer AppRadio 2 (SPH-DA100) supports several driver assistant apps for the iPhone 4/4S and iPhone 5/5C/5S.
- DashCommand (iOS only): Utilizing the built-in GPS & accelerometer sensors of the iPhone 4 /4S, the DashCommand app ($49.99) displays advanced vehicle and driving statistics. When connected to a compatible vehicle's OBD-II data port (optional OBD-II interface sold separately from Palmer Performance Engineering), advanced data monitoring, logging and analysis are enabled. Users can create and display up to 27 virtual dashboards with many styles including digital gauges, analog gauges, indicator lights, and more, which can all be accessed on the AppRadio screen. Compatible with more than 13 OBD-II compliant interfaces, the app can also be used as a scan tool to read vehicle trouble codes.
- Best Parking (iOS only): BestParking is a parking search engine app for the iPhone that steers drivers towards the cheapest and most convenient parking garages and lots in 43 cities & 79 airports. Search results are displayed directly on a map with a cost to easily compare prices. Includes numerous parking facility attributes (Hours of Operation, Phone #, Indoor/Outdoor, Cash/Credit, Self Park/Valet, etc.). BestParking is the only parking application that conducts continuous manual updates of parking rates and locations to ensure the highest level of accuracy.
- Extra Mile (iOS only): Extra Mile is an all-in-one iOS app for convenient voice navigation that gives audio feedback to improve your driving performance and conserve fuel. Simply start the app when you start your car. It will automatically record distance traveled, fuel expenses, trip duration and driving pattern. When you reach your destination, just press the end button. View the trip details in a log or view every day's total on a calendar. If you forget to start your app, you can always add the trip details manually. Extra Mile features an easy-to-use mileage tracker, gas expense logger, driving habit analyzer, mileage diary for your business or personal expenses, and free voice-guided navigation.
Music Apps: The Pioneer AppRadio 2 (SPH-DA100) supports lots of music apps for your iPhone 4/4S, iPhone 5/5C/5S, or compatible Android smartphone.
- CarMediaPlayer: The Pioneer CarMediaPlayer (for iPhone & Android) allows you to swipe, drag, and directly touch the desired artist, song, or album in your iPhone 4/4S, iPhone 5/5C/5S, or Android smartphone's music library directly from the Pioneer touchscreen with Alphabet Search and Album View functions. The iPhone version of the app even allows you to play and access your iTunes Match collection directly from the touchscreen display.
- Pandora Radio: The Pandora App (for iPhone & Android) lets you play and control music from the Pandora music service through the Pioneer AppRadio using your connected Apple iPhone 4/4S, iPhone 5/5C/5S, or Android smartphone. The Pioneer AppRadio provides control over your Pandora music service and displays Artist, Album, and Song information; as well as Album art (your iPhone 4/4S controls will be locked). You can select Pandora stations from your station list and skip song tracks within a station. You can search your stations by date or alphabetically. You can also give songs a thumbs up/down and bookmark songs/artists. Best of all, Pandora is a free app. This is the only App compatible with the iPhone 5/5C/5S.
- AUPEO! Personal Radio: AUPEO! Personal Radio (for iPhone & Android) is a free online music radio station that lets you stream your favorite artists, songs, and music live to your iPhone 4/4S, iPhone 5/5C/5S, or Android smartphone. With more than 120 Internet radio stations available, users can search for their favorite music by artists, songs or AUPEO!'s "Mood-Tuner." Users can also choose to "love" or "ban" songs directly from the AppRadio screen, enabling the app to adjust content to the user's personal taste.
- Rdio (iOS only): Get access and control the iTunes Rdio app (from $4.99 per month). Rdio is a new social music service on the web for the iPhone 4/4S . Rdio give you access to over 8 million songs. You are able to search and find any song, album or artist, and start listening immediately. You can search music by new releases and chart toppers. You can also check out what other listeners have been listening to the most, or look at your own recent listening history. In addition, you can even create your own music collection or make your own playlists. Rdio will even recommend music for you, based on your previous music listening. The AppRadio 2 will display Artist, Album, and Song information; as well as Album art.
- Livio Radio (iOS only): The Livio Radio app ($4.99) for iPhone 4/4S lets you listen to more than 42,000 AM/FM and Internet-only radio streams from around the world. The Livio Radio app has been optimized for use in the vehicle with a range of features an controls right from the Pioneer head unit's touchscreen.
- StreamS HiFi (iOS only): The StreamS HiFi Radio app has been optimized iPhone 4/4S. The StreamS HiFi Radio app ($4.99) provides access to more than 4,000 live Internet radio stations from across the globe delivered in AAC/HE-AACv1/HE-AACv2 at 32kbps for high fidelity listening.
- MIXTRAX (iOS only): Pioneer's proprietary MIXTRAX app from iTunes analyzes the music in your iTunes library to create custom playlists for non-stop song mixes with added DJ effects.
Note: The AppRadio 2's music apps can run in the background while you are using a navigation app.
Videos & Photo Apps: The Pioneer AppRadio 2 (SPH-DA100) supports video & photo viewing from your iPhone 4/4S and Android smartphone.
- Video Apps: With your vehicle parked and the parking brake fully engaged, additional apps (such as Netflix or YouTube) featuring second screen video output can be viewed on the AppRadio screen. You can also watch movies & TV shows you have downloaded from iTunes or the Android market. You will control the video app with your iPhone 4/4S or compatible Android smartphone, not the AppRadio.
- Photos: You are able to view photos stored on your iPhone 4/4S, iPhone 5/5C/5S, or Android smartphone on the Pioneer AppRadio's touchscreen display. You're able to access albums and camera rolls, and even view a slideshow.
Note: Your vehicle's parking brake must be engaged to watch videos or photos on the AppRadio 2's touchscreen monitor.
Helpful Apps: The Pioneer AppRadio 2 (SPH-DA100) supports additional helpful apps for your iPhone 4/4S, iPhone 5/5C/5S, or Android smartphone.
- Calendar: You can view your iPhone 4/4S, iPhone 5/5C/5S, or Android smartphone's calendar on the AppRadio's LCD monitor, so you can keep track of your scheduled events.
- Contacts: From the AppRadio Advanced App Mode, you can make Bluetooth hands-free phone calls from your iPhone 4/4S, iPhone 5/5C/5S, or Android smartphone, and even route to contacts stored within your iPhone 4/4S, iPhone 5/5C/5S, or Android smartphone's contact list.
- CarKeyboard (Android only): The CarKeyboard app for Android allows you to input text directly from the 7" capacitive touchscreen display of the AppRadio 2 (SPH-DA100). CarKeyboard is a customizable multi-language keyboard that works in conjunction with the AppRadio app and can also be used as the default keyboard on your Android device.
iPod/iPhone Audio Playback: The Pioneer AppRadio 2 supports playback of music and video stored on your iPod or iPhone, when connected via the supplied iPod AV cable. If you have an iPod nano (7th gen), iPod touch (5th gen), or iPhone 5/5C/5S; you will also need the Apple Lightning to 30-pin adapter (sold separately) in order to make connection with the Pioneer iPod cable for audio playback only.
Head Unit Control: You can control the iPod/iPhone from the unit's touchscreen (your iPod/iPhone's clickwheel or touchscreen will be locked). From the head unit, you can search your iPod/iPhone's audio/video content by Video Playlist, Movie, Music Video, Video Podcast, TV Show, Playlist, Artist, Album, Song, Podcast, Genre, Composer, or Audiobook (your iPod/iPhone's clickwheel or touchscreen will be locked). Once you have selected a category, you can search each category alphabetically (A-Z). In addition, the head unit offers Link Search, which allows you to play songs related to the currently playing song. Link Search lets the head unit create an album list of the currently playing artist, a song list of the currently playing album, or an album list of the currently playing genre. You can also select Random & Repeat functions for a certain song or specific folder.
Information Display: The Pioneer AppRadio will display the following iPod/iPhone music information - Track #, Time Elapsed, Time Remaining, Artist Name, Song/Album Title, and Album Art.
Battery Charging: The head unit's USB connection provides 1A of current to power and charge your connected iPod/iPhone when your vehicle's ignition switch is set to the 'ACC' or 'On' position. The AppRadio 2 will also charge your compatible Android smartphone. This unit will not charge the Apple iPad. If your Apple or Android device has no initial battery charge, then the unit will not recognize it.
iPod/iPhone Compatibility Chart: The Pioneer AppRadio 2 (SPH-DA100) is "Made for iPod/iPhone" compatible and supports the following iPod/iPhone model functions (as 9/19/2013):
|iPod/iPhone||Generation||Tested Version||Media Type||Control Type||Display Type||Charge|
|Audio||Video||AppRadio||Pandora App||Head Unit||iPod/iPhone||Song/Artist Text||Track Info||Album Art|
- **The iPhone 5/5C/5S (iOS 6.1+) will require the CD-IH202 cable, the Apple Lightning-to-USB Cable, and the Apple Lightning-to-Digital AV Adapter (all sold separately) for full functionality with the AppRadio 2. The AppRadio 2 will also need a firmware upgrade from Pioneer (coming soon).
- *The iPod nano (7th gen), iPod touch (5th gen), and iPad (4/mini) will require the Apple Lightning to 30-pin adapter (sold separately) in order to make connection with the proprietary Pioneer iPod cable. Only audio playback and Pandora app is supported.
- Apple iPod/iPhone software updates may change functionality results. If you download a newer software version, you may need to reset the head unit and your iPod/iPhone to regain functionality. If this doesn't work, you may need to wait until a newer software update is available.
Bluetooth Technology (powered by Parrot): The AppRadio 2 (SPH-DA100) is equipped with built-in Bluetooth ver. 2.1 + EDR (powered by Parrot) allowing you to make and receive phone calls wirelessly through the receiver from your iPhone 4/4S, iPhone 5/5C/5S, or Android smartphone (with SPP protocol). Bluetooth Technology is a short-range wireless radio connectivity technology that was developed as a cable replacement for mobile phones and other electronic devices. Bluetooth operates in 2.4 GHz frequency range and transmits voice and data at speeds up to 1 megabit per second.
Bluetooth Profiles: In order to use Bluetooth wireless technology, your iPhone 4/4S, iPhone 5/5C/5S, or Android smartphone must also be Bluetooth compatible and be able to interpret certain profiles. This unit is compatible with the following Bluetooth Hands-Free Communication Profiles - HFP (Hands Free Profile), HSP (Head Set Profile), OPP (Object Push Profile), PBAB (Phone Book Access Profile).
Note: The AppRadio does not support Bluetooth Audio Streaming (A2DP/AVRCP).
Phone Pairing: Your iPhone 4/4S, iPhone 5/5C/5S, or Android smartphone will need to be initially paired to the Pioneer AppRadio 2, before you are able to make or receive a phone calls from the unit. Due to the differences in Bluetooth technology, some Bluetooth enabled devices may be incompatible, function improperly, or may not support all features when used with the Pioneer AppRadio 2.
Hands-Free Communication: The AppRadio 2 supports wireless hands-free communication (HFP/HSP/OPP) for your iPhone 4/4S, iPhone 5/5C/5S, or Android smartphone. The unit will display the caller's information and an audible ring tone will be heard through your vehicle's speaker during an incoming call. You can manually answer an incoming call or have the unit automatically answer the call. The AppRadio 2 allows you to carry on a phone conversation from your iPhone 4/4S or Android smartphone using the unit's external microphone and your car audio speakers. During a conversation you can adjust the volume, as well as switch to Private Mode (talk directly from phone). Using the AppRadio 2, you can dial a phone number in one of the following ways:
- Direct Dial: You can make a call by entering the phone number using the unit's on-screen keypad (0-9, *, #, +).
- Phone Book: The phone book of your iPhone 4/4S, iPhone 5/5C/5S, or compatible Android smartphone will be transferred automatically when the phone is paired to this unit. After finding the number you want to call in the phone book, you can select the entry and make the call. If a lot of numbers are registered in the phone book, you can search for the phone number by alphabet search mode. A maximum of 1,000 phone book entries can be transferred per cellular phone.
- Call Log: The most recent calls dialed, received, and missed are stored in memory (up to 100 for each call log). You can browse them and call numbers from these lists.
- Preset Numbers: You can easily store up to 6 phone numbers as preset from the phone book and the call history list.
External Microphone: During your wireless phone call, you can talk into the unit's included microphone, and listen to the other party through the vehicle's speaker system. The external microphone provides better performance in noisy environments than an integrated microphone found on the front-panel of many other in-dash head units. The microphone features a 13' cord that plugs into the back of the radio, and comes with an adjustable visor-mount clip. This unit is not equipped with an integrated front-panel mic.
MOSFET50 Internal Amplifier: The AppRadio 2 is equipped with a 50 watts x 4 (peak) MOSFET amplifier for low distortion, high power output. The amplifier is strong enough to power small subwoofers to moderate volume levels in compact cars and pickups. For higher volume levels from subwoofers, an optional amplifier may be connected to the preamp outputs.
CEA2006 Compliant: The power specifications for the Pioneer AppRadio are compliant with the CEA2006 Mobile Amplifier Power Testing and Measurement standards from the Consumer Electronics Association (CEA). These standards were developed as a way to equitably compare power specs from model to model and between manufacturers. The power output specs are as follows:
- CEA2006 Specs: 14 watts RMS x 4 channels (at 4 ohms, 20Hz-20kHz, 1% THD-N)
- Continuous Power Output: 22 watts RMS x 4 channels (at 4 ohms, 50Hz-15kHz, 5% THD)
- Maximum Power Output: 50 watts x 4 channels (or 50 watts x 2 channels at 4 ohms + 70 watts x 1 channel at 2 ohms for subwoofer)
2.0-Volt Preamp Outputs: The Pioneer AppRadio 2 features two pairs of 2.0-volt preamp outputs. The unit's rear preamp output can be configured as a fading rear-channel output or a non-fading subwoofer output with a low-pass filter, phase adjustment, and output level control.
Subwoofer Control: When configured as the subwoofer output, you can select the frequency of the 18dB/octave low pass filter (50, 63, 80, 100, or 125 Hz), select the subwoofer phase (normal/reverse), and the subwoofer gain (+6 to -24).
High-Pass Filter: The AppRadio 2 features a high-pass crossover for the front & rear channels when your front & rear speakers are connected by the unit's speaker-outputs or preamp-outputs. You can adjust the high-pass crossover from 50Hz, 63Hz, 80Hz, 100Hz, 125Hz, or Off. The "Off" selection is a full-range setting.
EEQ (Easy EQ): There are seven stored equalizer curves which you can easily recall at any time. You can choose from - Powerful (low- and high-frequencies are boosted), Natural (low- and high-frequencies slightly boosted), Vocal (midrange is boosted), Super Bass (low-frequencies are boosted), Flat (nothing boosted), Custom 1 (user adjustable), or Custom 2 (user adjustable).
5-Band Graphic EQ: The Custom 1 and Custom 2 EQ modes allow you to manually adjust the level (+/- 12dB) of each band of the head unit's 5-band graphic equalizer (100Hz, 315Hz, 1.25kHz, 3.15kHz, 8kHz).
Loudness: The Loudness function compensates for deficiencies in the low- and high-frequency ranges at low volume. You can set the Loudness to High, Mid, Low, or Off.
Bass Boost: You can easily boost the subwoofer bass level by using the Bass Boost function. The Bass Boost feature allows you increase the subwoofer level from 0 to +6 (12dB).
Source Level Adjustment (SLA): This function lets you adjust the volume level of each source (AM, Pandora, iPod, Apps) to prevent radical changes in volume when switching between sources. Settings are based on the unit's FM volume level, which remains unchanged. Each source can be independently adjusted from -4 dB to +4 dB.
Switchable Rear Channel/Subwoofer Speaker Output: The rear speaker outputs can be set to provide full range output with full fading capability, or they can be set to provide non-fading subwoofer (low-pass) output. When the rear speaker outputs are set to subwoofer mode, the rear preamp outputs also switch from full range to subwoofer outputs. When set for subwoofer operation, you can connect the rear speaker leads directly to two small 4-ohm passive subwoofers or a dual voice coil sub with 4-ohm voice coils. If you prefer to use a single 2-ohm subwoofer, you can connect the woofer to one set of speaker leads, leaving the other set of rear leads disconnected. The maximum output provided when a 2-ohm load is connected to one set of leads is 70 watts.
AM/FM Tuner: The Pioneer AppRadio 2 (SPH-DA100) features a built-in AM/FM tuner with RDS text information display.
RDS: The Radio Data System (RDS) feature displays radio broadcast information such as artist, title, and album when listening to compatible AM/FM stations.
BSM (Best Stations Memory): BSM lets you automatically store the six strongest stations under presets 1-6 of the currently tuned band. The AM/FM tuner has 3 FM banks and 2 AM banks. You can store 6 presets for each bank giving you a total of 18 FM presets and 12 AM presets.
Direct Tuning: You can enter an AM/FM frequency directly, using the unit's on-screen keypad (0-9).
Local Tuning: Local seek tuning lets you tune in only those radio stations with sufficiently strong signals for good reception.
Steering Wheel Remote Compatibility: The head unit features an OEM steering wheel remote control input on the rear of the unit that lets you keep your vehicle's factory radio steering wheel remote controls when used with an optional steering wheel audio control adapter (sold separately). Please consult Crutchfield's Outfit My Car to see if your vehicle is compatible.
3 questions already asked