About the JL Audio TwK™ 88 System Tuning Processor
Tweak the sound to high-fidelity
Tweak the sound to high-fidelity
If you're a sound tweaker like me, you'll love JL Audio's TwK 88 System Tuning Processor for all the powerful and detailed adjustments it can apply to your vehicle's sound system. With JL Audio's TwK-TüN app on your laptop or tablet, you'll gain access to real-time tuning that can really dial in your system, including 10-band equalization, variable high- and low-pass filtering, and time delay/alignment on every channel.
It's as easy or complicated as you want
JL Audio has given the TwK 88 three Project Levels of tuning complexity (Basic, Advanced, and Expert) so you'll get fantastic sound no matter how much experience you've had tuning an audio system. The Basic Level guides you through the setups, options, and simple adjustments to achieve great sound in about 10 minutes. The Advanced Level adds extra crossover features, limited-parametric equalization, and delay/time alignment — for a tune-up that takes about 30 to 60 minutes. The Expert Project Level gives you free rein with fully manual adjustments and assignments, fully-parametric EQs, and advanced signal diagnostics, so you can take as much time as you like to play around with the sound.
Versatile connections and controls
Digital inputs and outputs ensure the cleanest, highest-quality signal connections for your TwK 88 processor in a high-definition audio system. You'll use the wired dash-mount remote to control master and subwoofer volume, select user presets, and check on the operational status of the TwK 88 so you'll know what's going on from the driver's seat.
TwK-Tun assignments, EQ, delays, crossovers and more
- 8-channel digital signal processor
- DSP adjustments and settings made via Windows PC running JL Audio's TwK-TuN app
- Three Project Levels of tuning:
- Basic: (10-minute set-up time) guided channel setups, basic crossover functions, 10-band graphic EQ, no delay
- Advanced: (30-60-minute set-up time) adds crossover options, limited parametric EQ, delay functions
- Expert: full manual controls with input mixer, parametric EQ, signal diagnostics
- 8 analog preamp inputs: (RCA), 2 digit inputs (optical and coax)
- 8 analog preamp outputs (RCA), 1 digital output (optical)
- all inputs assignable to any output channel
- channel settings can be separate or linked together
- 10-band EQ (graphic in Basic, parametric in Advanced and Expert modes)
- time alignment in 0.02 ms increments
- fully adjustable high- and low-pass filters
- selectable filter slopes (6, 12, 18, 24, 30, 36, 42, 48 dB/octave)
- DRC-200 wired remote control included
- dimensions: 4-7/8"W x 1-15/16"H x 6-3/16"D
- warranty: 2 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # 98101
What's in the box:
- 5-Pin Euroblock (Phoenix) connector
- 15' USB cable (Type-A on one end
- Type-B on other end
- 18' Control cable w/ RJ-45 connectors on both ends
- DRC-200 Level Control Knob w/ 46" attached cord terminating in a female RJ-45 socket and attached status LED w/ 38" cord
- LED mounting collar
- Two locking nuts
- Two flat washers
- Owner's manual
JL Audio TwK™ 88 System Tuning Processor reviews
Great addition to my sound system build in my 2016 Honda Accord. This is my first jump into the processor world, and JL Audio has certainly made things as simplified as possible. Using JL's Tun software is relatively simple and straight forward. Getting the unit wired was easy too. Since the processor allows you to run your system "active", and the Tun software features a 10-band parametric EQ and time alignment among other things, there is certainly a vast amount of adjustability featured in this unit. Another plus is it's small footprint, which allowed me to easily conceal the unit in a discrete location behind the dash. Very happy with this product!
Pros: Small footprint, system adjustability, easy-to-use software, top-notch JL tech support, digital and analog inputs and outputs
0 of 0 found this helpful
This processor is amazing. You can hear the improvement in my system immediately. Very easy to install. Easily expands your system capabilities. Took a little more time tweaking the equalizers than expected. But that was based on my speaker locations. The more I play with the software,I learn more and improve my sytem's sound quality. Great product overall.
0 of 0 found this helpful
There was a bit of a learning curve with the software but once I figured it out I was extremely happy with my purchase! The best feature is the parametric eq.
1 of 1 found this helpful
Great tool for setting up your vehicle's audio. Very flexible, and enough options to keep one busy for a while. That said, it takes a bit to learn your way around the controls. JL has a handful of videos which are helpful. The software is intuitive, but JL has a few places where one may click, but they aren not marked. Help is online, not in the application. You can easily manipulate every input and output, copy settings between channels, combine inputs, and much more. Equalization may be performed with either a graphic or parametric option. The active eq is very flexible and settings are immediate. Multiple profiles can be saved and activated via pressing the included knob. Finally, the remote has an inner and outer cntrol that can be assigned to a mix of outputs. The software allows saving of profiles and backup functionality to your pc. Great product.
Pros: Super flexibility. Great control.
2 of 2 found this helpful
This processor- both the hardware and the configuration software- is a quality product. Upgrading my stock system with new speakers, an amp, and additional soundproofing improved the sound but it still wasn't quite right. The TwK is providing ample options to compensate for vehicle acoustics and give me the clean sound I want. I'm still working on it, but I'm pleased with where this is going.
Pros: Excellent software programming environment. Quality product.
1 of 1 found this helpful
before I installed the TwK 88, I had an Alpine CDE 149BT, an Alpine KTP 445U amp and 6 Alpine speakers (2 tweets in the dash, mids in the front doors 2 ways in the rear doors and a powered sub under the front passengers seat). My truck was originally wired so the tweeters and the front mids were powered from the same circuit. it sounded okay, but I got A LOT of volume from the tweeters (even on the -3dB cross over setting). So I decided to buy a JL AudioXD600/6V2 and the JL Audio TwK 88. I split the tweeters and front door mids into their own channels. All I can say is WOW. The sound quality is miles better even with the same speakers. I am able to adjusted the volume from each speaker and blend everything together. No more overpowering tweeters. the 10 band/8 channel equalizer let me listen to music the way I like it. I could not be happier. the software is intuitive, the wiring is straight forward and I cannot get over the sound quality. My wife helped me with the install and even she commented on the difference.
Pros: the sound quality
Cons: JL Audio provides instruction on how to set up the DSP, but now all the software functions are described. I foresee several calls to JL.
3 of 3 found this helpful
Best DSP ever tweet your sounds to perfection
Pros: Tweaking your system to perfection
3 of 3 found this helpful
Great product. Very easy to install and use. Couldn't ask for anything better.
Pros: Quality, ease of install, ease of use.
1 of 1 found this helpful
This is a very nice DSP that has a lot of adjust ability. DSP rating of 5 stars IMO would be next to impossible because none of them are perfect but i would without a doubt put this up against processors that cost more . I went from an Audison Bit One to this and I actually think it was an upgrade according to the RTA it for sure picks up 20 hz better also less noise with other components vs the Audison so no funky grounding techniques required. You can compete with this unit and be competitive
Pros: Tons of adjust ability small size very simple software
Cons: At fist the software seemed complex do not over think installation set up.
4 of 5 found this helpful
Awsome product worth every penny amazingly flexible was able to filter all sounds and adjust just right in my system. PS. pushing around 12K rms
2 of 4 found this helpful
Love this thing... powerful, well-made, easy to use (slight learning curve with the TuN software) and sounds great. Wish it had a pink noise generator. While using TuN, occasionally the unit disconnects & is not discoverable any longer. At first, I thought it was because the auto-save feature was enabled, but I turned if off & it happened again. The only way to get TuN/TwK talking again is to close the software, power down the unit & reconnect & restart TuN. A little inconvenient, but not a big deal. You can load up to 6 active "projects" - set them up differently (for example, different EQ settings or X-over slopes & you can switch between them to see what sounds ideal in your car. Use this with the wMic i436 microphone for iPad & the Analyzer app, you can set up your EQ for each speaker & really tailor your sound. Once again JL Audio builds a high quality, great sounding product for a really fair price. You can't go wrong with this thing - highly recommended. (JL Audio - fix the disconnect issue - firmware update maybe?
Pros: Easy to use Great build quality; small for easy placement Highly configurable; easy to dial-in the perfect sound to your tastes TuN software has demo mode - practice setting up your system & easy to use, once you're familiar Graphic or parametric EQ Easy to set proper gain (multi voltage settings & visual meters to check for clipping) Remote, configurable controller included Low-ish noise floor, still very quiet BANG FOR BUCK!
Cons: TwK/TuN disconnect from each other while you're setting up/"tweaking" your system SNR could be better; better DACs would help. Then again - that would drive up the price.
9 of 10 found this helpful
Great product. Was very easy to set up and gave me enough control to fix the issues I was having.
8 of 9 found this helpful
For those of us with O.C.D. The JL audio TwK88 may just be the prescription for your car audio TweaKing. Set ,& forget ! So much control over the audio settings. Program,& save file in presets. Call up your presets at the press of the volume controller supplied with unit. No more fumbling around with head unit controls,menu's, & sub menu's in order to change Sound settings. This unit is very versatile, the level controller also has a second level controller that can be programmed to control level of bass, or what ever you need for level control. In my application, I have this programmed as a 4 way cross-over. I am able to fine tune x-over settings for each speaker.
Pros: Too many to list.
Cons: No cons that apply to my application.
11 of 11 found this helpful
The TwK is Awesome. Tun software is easy to use. One issue I have is the TwK cant be switched from Analogue input to Digital Coaxal input without connecting to the Tun software. If you make presets for a particular installation and one preset is set to Analogue input and a different preset is set to Digital input the Twk will stay set at the input setting that was configured for the initial setup. It would be nice to be able to have the ability to switch from Analogue input to digital input using presets and the DRC 200. I talked with JL and they indicated this may be fixed in a future firmware update. The TWK can be updated with a PC to the latest firmware using an Ethernet cable .
Pros: Small footprint. Easy setup. Tun Software very effective.
Cons: The unit cant switch from Analogue input to Digital input using DRC-200.
10 of 12 found this helpful
Setting up the Twk 88 in the Tun software is super simple... there are 3 levels of tunning, basic, advanced, and expert. I chose advanced for initial setup, and with flat eq on my Pioneer 4200nex and flat eq in the Tun software I actually could leave it as is and enjoy this system tremendously! I will admit, it is cool to pull out your laptop and adjust this thing! I actually purchase a Lenovo Idealpad for $129, just to run this system, it works great btw (i am a mac user so i don't spend much on windows virus). The included DRC-200 remote has an LED to let you know what preset you are currently on. For example, I have a setting with subs off and my 8's in the rear deck crossed-over at a lower frequency for easy listening. I have a setting for just front speakers and sub without rear deck... If you make any serious changes to the configuration with the Tun software while audio is playing it will mute all speakers momentarily and make you un-mute them by clicking a red speaker icon in the Tun Software. I upgraded to JL RCA cables and I am running the12w7 in the ProWedge with the XD1000/1v2. I am running the ZR650 components in front, and ZR800 in rear with a XD800/8. the Front speakers/tweeters are bi-amped with first 4 channels, and the ZR800's are each using 2 channels bridged...
Pros: excellent sound quality, cool factor, Ultimate control, easy to toggle presets
Cons: none yet
26 of 28 found this helpful
More details on the JL Audio TwK™ 88 System Tuning Processor
Overview: The JL Audio TwK88 is a car audio signal processor designed to give world-class system tuning capabilities in an easy to use format. Featuring an advanced 24-bit DSP processor, 8 analog RCA and 2 digital inputs that can be fully configured to any of the 8 analog RCA and 1 optical outputs, eight banks of 10-band graphic or parametric equalizers with configurable assignment, a powerful crossover section with high-, low-, and band-pass filtering with selectable slopes, front-seat control of configurable level and preset selection with the included DRC-200 Digital Remote Controller, and more. Configuration and routing are all done through a USB connected PC using JL Audio's TuN 2.0 software. Mac not supported.
Configuration: The TwK88 offers very flexible signal routing with a clear, user-friendly screen interface for the TuN software which is separated into two main sections: Setup and Tune. Different tune settings can be saved and recalled as Presets. A total of 10 Presets plus a Valet Preset can be stored in one Project file, with 6 Preset available for quick selection during use. The Valet Preset is directly tied to the Valet wire, which if grounded, will switch the TwK88 to Valet mode. This Preset can be assigned with much lower output levels or even have channels turned off, lessoning the risk of someone damaging speakers from turning the system up too high while the vehicle is being worked on or valet parked.
- Setup: The Setup screen is easy to read and gives a clear picture of the entire routing path for all channels. Each channel is listed in the Inputs column with "clickable" routing lines for the signal path that can be "drawn" on-screen to the next step in the signal chain. Input Sensitivity can be set here with tri-colored meters to show signal level with clipping. Each input goes through the Input Mixer section, then to the Equalizers. This screen shows which channels go through which of the eight 10-band equalizers and includes a basic Level adjustment for each. From there, the signal paths run through the Crossover section and then to the assignable Output section. Each Output Channel includes a tri-colored Level Meter and a Mute button. Any of the Input Channels can be assigned to the Optical Digital output, however, this acts as a pass-through for the signal and no processing will be applied to those channels. Any signal input on either of the Digital Inputs will be processed unless assigned to the Optical Digital output. The Setup screen also includes a channel assignment section for the DRC-200 Digital Remote Controller's two rotary controls, allowing each channel to be individually assigned to either or both rotary functions.
- Tune: The Tune screen is where detailed settings can be made to
the Equalizer, Crossover, Delay/Polarity, and Output Level.
- Equalizer: The TuN software includes eight assignable, 10-band Equalizers that can be either Graphic or Parametric. The Graphic EQ's default bands are: 31, 63, 125, 250, 500, 1000, 2000, 4000, 8000, and 16000 Hz while in Parametric mode, they're variable. The Q, or width of the EQ band, is fixed in Graphic EQ mode and variable from 0.26 to 10 in Parametric mode. Either type can have the Level adjusted by +6 dB to -12 dB. There's an option for Input Channel pairs to be Linked, so they both have identical EQ curves. Each EQ band can be individually bypassed as well.
- Crossovers: Each signal channel can pass through its own Crossover to further refine the sound. Crossover types are: High-pass, Low-pass, and Band-pass filters with a choice between two Alignments: Linkwitz-Riley (with 12, 24, or 48 dB per octave slope options) and Butterworth (with 12, 18, 24, 36, or 48 dB per octave slope options).
- Delay/Polarity: In order to compensate for uneven distances between speakers, the TuN software allows each channel to be delayed up to 21.3 milliseconds, or 24 feet of speaker distance. An Additional Delay setting allows the user to add more to the baseline delay in either 0.2 or 0.02 ms increments. A Polarity setting allows each channel to have the polarity inverted if necessary.
- Output Level: This section gives each Output Channel a level trim control with a range of +12.0 to -12.0 dB.
DRC-200: The JL Audio DRC-200 is a panel-mounted, wired digital remote controller that connects to the JLid port of the TwK88. It consists of dual-concentric rotary controls with stops, push-button functionality for the inner knob, and a separate RGB LED status indicator that can be dash mounted. The control knob and the LED are both wired into a single RJ-45 socket via 46" cables. An 18' control cable, terminating in male RJ-45 jacks, plugs into this socket and is run back to the TwK88. The inner knob controls the Level for any channel assigned to it, and the outer knob can be assigned to control Subwoofer Level, Fader, or Zone control. Each knob can be independently assigned to any or all signal channels.
Inputs: The input side of the TwK88 has the following jacks:
- RCAs: These comprise the 8 analog main input channels and are completely assignable.
- Optical/Coax Digital: Either of the two digital inputs, if used, automatically get assigned to Channels 1 and 2.
- USB Port: A Type-B, 2.0 USB port is used for connection to the TuN 2.0 software and for firmware updates.
- JLID Port: This RJ-45 port is used for the DRC-200 Digital Remote Control.
- RCAs: 8 RCA jacks comprise the main outputs of the TwK88 and are completely assignable. The output channels will get run to an outboard amplifier.
- Optical Digital: This jack can pass an un-processed signal from either the Optical Digital input or from one pair of RCA input channels.
- Power/Ground Connector: A 5-pin Euroblock connector provides the inputs for +12 VDC Battery, +12 VDC Switched (remote input), Ground, Remote Out (provides a +12 V, 100 mA remote signal to trigger aftermarket amplifiers), and a Valet In. This is provided to switch the processor to the Valet Preset when it sees a ground on this terminal.
- Preset Toggle: A small push-button allows you to toggle through the Presets.
- Status LEDs: Two Signal Status LEDs are provided, one for Input
signals and one for Output signals.
- Amber: Unit is powered on, but no signal is present.
- Green: Signal is present.
- Momentary Red: Signal is clipping.
- Power Supply Type: Regulated DC-DC SMPS
- Input Operating Voltage: 10 - 16 VDC
- Operating Current Draw: 0.7 A
- Standby Current Draw: < 1.5 mA
- Recommended Fuse: 1 A
- Input Channels: 8
- Input Type: Line-level, differential-balanced
- Input Voltage Range: 250 mV - 7.1 V RMS
- Minimum Input Voltage: 10 mV RMS
- Input Level Setting: Eleven discrete selections from 250 mV - 7.1 V RMS
- Output Channels: 8
- Analog Output: Unbalanced, stereo RCA jacks
- Digital Output: Optical
- Digital Inputs: Optical and Coax
- Output Impedance: 450 Ω
- Analog - Analog: 5.425 mS
- Analog - Optical: 5.470 mS
- Optical - Optical: 4.860 mS
- Optical - Analog: 4.805 mS
- S/N Ratio: 98 dB (A-weighted, referred to 4V RMS output)
- THD+N @ Rated Output: 0.02% (20 Hz - 20 kHz)
- Audio Resolution: 24 bit/ 48 kHz
- Number of EQ bands: 10 x 8 Channels
- Remote Level Control: DRC-200 (included)
- Remote Level Functions: Master Volume Control + Trim, Master Volume Control + Fader, Zone Control, LED Status reporting
- Dimensions: Width - 4.83", Height - 1.88", Dept - 6.15"
- Weight: 2.58 lbs.
Q Crutchfield asked: Why did you buy this?
12 questions already asked