About the JL Audio MX500/4
Power your music on water or land
Power your music on water or land
Few things are more pleasurable than playing loud music while you're out tearing it up off road or on the water. JL Audio's MX500/4 compact 4-channel amplifier can send 70 watts RMS to each of your speakers so you'll enjoy your music's clarity and power over all the noise of you having fun. Or, for some real power sports, you could use this amp in bridged 2-channel mode to drive a couple of high-performance speakers or subwoofers with 250 watts RMS each.
The MX500/4 comes equipped to overcome the dangers of weather, dirt, and corrosion, thanks to a tough aluminum chassis and gasketed control and connection covers. And you won't have to worry about getting caught in the rain — this amp carries a full IPX6 rating against water intrusion, so it'll play on through a storm. (You can spray it, but you can't dunk it.)
JL Audio's NexD™ Class D amp technology delivers full-range power efficiently and with low distortion. You'll get remarkable sound quality from an amp that fits into the kind of tight spots often found in marine applications. It's also ideal for your motorcycle, ATV, golf cart, tractor, or any other vehicle using a 12-volt charging system.
Controls for the MX500/4 are on the underside protected by a sealed cover.
- 4-channel amplifier
- 70 watts RMS x 4 at 4 ohms (125 watts RMS x 4 at 2 ohms)
- 250 watts RMS x 2 bridged at 4 ohms (4-ohm stable bridged)
- variable low- and high-pass filters (35-300 Hz, 12 dB/octave)
- Class D amplifier design with NextD switching amp technology
- IPX6 water-resistance rating
- corrosion-resistant cast aluminum chassis
- preamp and speaker-level inputs (speaker wire to RCA adapter required for speaker-level input)
- 4-gauge power and ground leads and a 50-amp fuse recommended wiring and hardware not included with amplifier
- no onboard fuses — when installing multiple amps in a system, an additional 50-amp in-line fuse between the distribution block and the amplifier is recommended
- 9-3/8"W x 1-13/16"H x 4-9/16"D
- warranty: 2 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # 98408
What's in the box:
- 4-Channel marine amplifier with 12" power/signal pigtails
- 4 Self-tapping screws (1" length)
More details on the JL Audio MX500/4
Features & specs
|RMS Power Output (Watts x Channels)||70 x 4|
|Frequency Response at Rated RMS Power||20-20k Hz|
|THD at Rated RMS Power||1%|
|Signal to Noise Ratio||88 dB|
|Peak Power Output (Watts x Channels)||N/A|
|Power at 2 Ohms (Watts x Channels)||125 x 4|
|Bridged Power (Watts x Channels)||250 x 2|
|Minimum Impedance Bridged||4|
|Minimum Impedance Unbridged||2|
|Low-Pass Crossover Frequency||35-300 Hz|
|Low-Pass Slope (dB/octave)||12 dB/oct|
|High-Pass Crossover Frequency||35-300 Hz|
|High-Pass Slope (dB/octave)||12 dB/oct|
|Bass Boost Frequency||N/A|
|Speaker Level Inputs||Yes|
|Parts Warranty||2 Years|
|Labor Warranty||2 Years|
4-Channel Amplifier: The JL Audio MX500/4 compact full range, 4-channel Class D marine amplifier is designed for the harsh marine environment. Its IPX6 water-resistance rating also makes it ideal for motorcycles, ATVs, or other utility vehicles. It can be used to drive four full-range speakers, or a couple of subwoofers.
NexD Switching Technology: The MX500/4 employs an advanced, high-speed Class D switching design called NexD that allows the amp to produce serious power without overtaxing the battery and charging system.
- Rated Continuous (RMS) Power @ 14.4 V (<1% THD+N):
- 70 watts RMS x 4 @ 4 Ω
- 90 watts RMS x 4 @ 3 Ω
- 125 watts RMS x 4 @ 2 Ω
- 250 watts RMS x 2 @ 4 Ω bridged
- Rated Continuous
(RMS) Power @ 12.5V (<1% THD+N):
- 55 watts RMS x 4 @ 4 Ω
- 70 watts RMS x 4 @ 3 Ω
- 90 watts RMS x 2 @ 2 Ω
- 180 watts RMS x 2 @ 4 Ω bridged
Input Section: The MX500/4's input section accepts a wide range of input voltage levels. It can accept a line-level signal from 250 mV to 4 Volts, or speaker-level signals from 750 mV to 15 Volts. The amp is equipped with Input Voltage switches for the front (1&2) and rear (3&4) channels that allows you to choose Low or High level input signals.
Protection Circuitry: The MX500/4's protection circuitry automatically shuts the amplifier down if thermal limits are exceeded, a short-circuit is detected in the speaker wiring, or if current levels are too high. The green Power LED and red Protect LED will indicate conditions by its on/off or flashing status.
Control Panel: The amplifier's control panel is located on the bottom of the amplifier. The removable cover is held in place by 4 Phillips-head screws, and features a rubber gasket that seals out moisture and dust. You will need a small flat screwdriver to set the five switches and four rotary dials. The Control Panel is divided into Front and Rear sections with the same controls in each section, plus a Channel Mode switch. The following controls are located in the Control Panel:
- Channel Mode: The 3-way Channel Mode switch lets you
select 2-channel, 3-channel, or 4-channel operation:
- 2-channel: In 2-channel mode you can run 2 bridged mono outputs or 4 stereo outputs without fading capability. In this mode, you can use the front inputs only.
- 3-channel: 3-channel mode lets you 2 stereo front and 2 mono rear outputs, or 2 stereo front and a bridged mono output. Front inputs only are used in this mode.
- 4-channel: If you select 4-channel mode, you can run 4 stereo outputs with fading capability. Both front and rear inputs are used in this mode. You can also run 2 bridged stereo outputs with the left input signal connected to both front inputs and the right input to both rear inputs.
- Independent Controls: The amplifier offers separate
controls for the front channels and rear channels:
- Input Voltage: You can select the type of input signal being used: High Level (speaker) or Low Level (line).
- Input Sensitivity: The Input Sensitivity Control is a rotary dial that lets you match your source unit's output voltage to the input stage of the amplifier for maximum clean output.
- Filter Mode Switch: The amp is equipped with switchable crossovers for each set of channels. You can set the filter to High-Pass (HP), Low-Pass (LP), or Off.
- Filter Frequency: When the Filter Mode Switch is turned to HP or LP, you can set the cutoff frequency on the rotary dial. The filter is continuously variable from 35Hz to 300Hz, with detents at 80Hz and 135 Hz. The HP/LP filter has a slope of 12dB/Octave.
Wiring: The MX500/4's wiring is internally connected and exits the amp through a waterproof opening. The following connections can be found, each with 12" pigtails:
- Power: The power wire coming out of the amp is a single 8-gauge wire. JL Audio recommends a minimum of 4-gauge wiring for the power wiring. You will need to add a fuse to the power wire within 18" of the battery. A 50A fuse or circuit breaker is recommended.
- Ground: An 8-gauge ground wire is connected to the amplifier. A minimum of 4-gauge wiring is recommended for the ground wire. You may need a ground distribution block to splice the ground wires together.
- Remote Turn-On: A 16-gauge remote turn-on wire is connected to the amp. You should connect the turn-on lead to the remote turn-on output of your source unit. If the source unit does not have a dedicated remote turn-on output, the amp's turn-on lead can be connected to +12V via a switch that derives power from an ignition-switched circuit. Note: The amp does not have an audio signal-sensing turn-on, so the remote turn-on lead must be connected.
- Signal Inputs: Four female RCA jacks are provided for the input signal--Left/Right Front and Left/Right Rear channels. If the source unit does not offer preamp level outputs, you can splice the speaker output wires to a pair of RCA plugs, or use the JL Audio XD-CLRAIC2-SW RCA-to-Speaker Wire Adapter. The amp's RCA connectors have waterproof caps.
- Speaker Outputs: Eight 16-gauge speaker wires are provided on the amplifier for connecting to the wiring to your speakers.
2 questions already asked