About the JL Audio XD500/3v2
This amp will power your system
This amp will power your system
Compact design applies to internal components too.
JL Audio's XD500/3v2 amp packs a wallop far beyond what you'd expect from something so small. This compact amp plays your music with true fidelity and impressive impact, without straining your car's electrical system, thanks to JL Audio's proprietary NexD™ amplifier technology. A cast alloy heatsink and an advanced cooling system keep this amp at optimal temperature, eliminating thermal shut-downs so your music keeps going strong without interruption.
This 3-channel amp can deliver 75 watts RMS to each of your front speakers, while powering a sub with up to 300 watts. You can also switch to 2-channel mode, and power a single high-performance speaker with 200 watts, while still driving a sub with 300 watts.
Works with almost any vehicle's system
"Differential-balanced" inputs keep the signals clear of outside noise, and allow you to connect this amp to just about any in-dash stereo, even a factory radio. The speaker-level inputs feature two auto turn-on modes so you can readily incorporate this amp into a factory system — no need for RCA connections or a remote turn-on lead. An optional wired remote lets you tweak the level of the subwoofer or the whole system from your front seat.
XD500/3v2 connection panel
- 3-channel car amplifer
- 75 watts RMS x 2 + 180 watts RMS x 1 at 4 ohms
- 100 watts RMS x 2 + 300 watts RMS x 1 at 2 ohms
- 200 watts RMS x 1 bridged at 4 ohms + 300 watts RMS x 1 at 2 ohms
- front channels: variable high-pass filter (50-500 Hz, 12 dB/octave)
- sub channel: variable low-pass filter (50-500 Hz, 12 or 24 dB/octave)
- optional wired remote controls sub or system level
- Class D amplifier design with NextD switching amp technology
- differential-balanced inputs eliminate noise coming from your vehicle's electrical system
- Advanced Rollback Protection System prevents thermal shut-down
- preamp inputs and outputs
- speaker-level inputs (speaker wire to RCA adapter required for speaker-level input)
- high-level inputs — up to 8 volts RMS (about 16 watts)
- DC offset or signal sensing auto turn-on eliminates need for remote lead
- 4-gauge power and ground leads and a 50-amp fuse recommended wiring and hardware not included with amplifier
- no onboard fuses when installing multiple amps in a system, an additional 50-amp in-line fuse between the distribution block and the amplifier is recommended
- 8-9/16"W x 2"H x 7-1/8"D
- warranty: 2 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # 98603
What's in the box:
- Three-channel amplifier
- 2.5mm Allen wrench
- Self-adhesive JL Audio badge
- Owner's manual
JL Audio XD500/3v2 reviews
So far so good. Used this to replace the stock Bose amp in a C6 corvette. It's powering a single 10" JL sub and components in the doors. PLENTY of power and sounds great.
0 of 0 found this helpful
These XD amps by JL Audio are very impressive! My XD500 runs my tweeters and sub powerfully and VERY clean.Still can't believe how such a small amp can pack such a powerful punch.The old saying "You get what you pay for" is especially true for these amps.
Pros: Very small,powerful and good looking amp.Wires all come out one side.
Cons: If any it would be price but like I said you get what you pay for.
0 of 0 found this helpful
Perfect amp for my old truck
Pros: Works perfect
Cons: Not made in USA
0 of 0 found this helpful
Bought this amp for my wife. Makes that Alpine Rock. Crystal clear sound at high volumes. Very pleased with our purchase.
Pros: Wife is Happy......Compact....Easy install....Clear Power.....
Cons: I live in a quiet neighborhood.....Wife's causing trouble......LOL......
0 of 0 found this helpful
Have a regular cab pickup and only need 3 channels...Front and sub. Has alot of punch for its little size! If I had rear speakers I would not hesitate to to get a 4 channel JL in this series amp
Pros: Size, fits about anywhere, easy to install
Cons: None at this time
0 of 0 found this helpful
Great product, compact and powerful. This was a perfect aftermarket addition to my factory system. I paired this with the 12" JL sub.
0 of 0 found this helpful
Clean power and lots of adjustments. Excellent build quality. Very small form factor.
Pros: Small, very powerful, great build quality, lots of adjustments!
0 of 1 found this helpful
Unbelievable amplifier... Using it to drive a set of C2-650 components and a JL Audio TW5v2 in a Silverado crew cab, clear highs that get so loud my ears can't handle it, slams the TW5 and the 12TW3 I used to have with out breaking a sweat... Ive even played music on almost full volume for 45min to an hour and this thing hasn't even got hot...
Pros: Small, good looking, great sounding, packs a punch, efficient
Cons: Wish they had a XD800/3 like a bigger 3 channel for running two TW3s but this one gets the job done.
7 of 8 found this helpful
More details on the JL Audio XD500/3v2
Features & specs
|RMS Power Output (Watts x Channels)||
75 x 2 |
180 x 1
|Peak Power Output (Watts x Channels)||N/A|
|Power at 2 Ohms (Watts x Channels)||100 x 2|
|Bridged Power (Watts x Channels)||200 x 1|
|Minimum Impedance Bridged||4|
|Minimum Impedance Unbridged||2|
|Best Frequency Response||12-22000 Hz|
|THD at Rated RMS Power||1%|
|Signal to Noise Ratio||84 dB|
|Low-Pass Crossover Frequency||50-500 Hz|
|Low-Pass Slope (dB/octave)||12 or 24 dB/octave|
|High-Pass Crossover Frequency||50-500 Hz|
|High-Pass Slope (dB/octave)||12 dB/octave|
|Bass Boost Frequency||N/A|
|Speaker Level Inputs||RCA|
|Preamp Outputs||1 pair|
|Parts Warranty||2 Years|
|Labor Warranty||2 Years|
XDv2 Series: The JL Audio XDv2 amplifiers feature big audio performance from a small footprint. With advanced NexD switching technologies, the XDv2 amps exceed 80% efficiency, running cooler than most other amplifiers. The Advanced Thermal Rollback System gives you increased reliability and better audio performance by virtually eliminating thermal shut-down. Because the XDv2 amps employ smaller cast alloy heat sinks, they can be installed in smaller spaces. XDv2 amplifiers feature a black powder-coat finish with a brushed aluminum cover for the controls.
Three-channel Class-D Amplifier: The XD500/3v2 is a Class-D 3-channel amplifier, designed specifically for full-range operation for 2 channels, plus a third channel to power a subwoofer. The amplifier is stable down to 2 ohms. Channels 1&2 can be bridged to drive a subwoofer (4 ohms) as well.
Amplifier Rating: The XD500/3v2 is rated at 75 Watts RMS x 2 channels, plus 180 Watts RMS x 1 channel at 4-ohms (20 Hz to 20 kHz), Signal-to-Noise Ratio of >104 dB stereo/103 dB subwoofer (at rated power), 1% THD, @14.4 Volts. At 2 ohms, the rated power for Channels 1&2 is 100 Watts RMS x 2, and bridged at 4 ohms, it outputs 200 Watts RMS x 1. The subwoofer channel is rated at 300 Watts RMS x 1 at 2 ohms.
Advanced Rollback Protection: The XDv2-Series amplifiers employ advanced thermal and low-impedance protection to virtually eliminate annoying amplifier shut-down events. Should any XDv2-Series amplifier ever overheat, its intelligent, unregulated power supply reacts by limiting available peak voltage until the amplifier returns to a safe temperature range. Likewise, if an impedance lower than optimal for the amplifier is present at the outputs, the XDv2 amplifier will roll back peak voltage to protect itself without shutting down.
Differential-Balanced Inputs: The XD500/3v2 features differential-balanced input architecture to effectively control noise and ensure compatibility with a wide variety of source units, including many OEM systems. Without resorting to line output converters, you can directly connect most OEM source units to the amplifier without creating any noise or compatibility issues. Unlike conventional single-ended inputs, the differential-balanced design does not connect one side of the audio signal to chassis ground. This eliminates any voltage sensitivity between one input terminal and ground and greatly reduces the incidence of alternator whine in a typical car audio installation.
Note: You will need a Speaker Wire to RCA adapter (sold separately) for each pair of inputs to connect this amplifier to your head unit via speaker level.
Protection Circuitry With Status Indicator Lights: There is a single multi-color LED on the top panel of the amplifier to indicate the amplifier's operating status.
- Flashing Green: When the LED is flashing green, the amplifier is powering up and audio output is muted.
- Constant Green: This LED lights green to indicate that the amplifier is turned on and operating normally.
- Constant Red: This Red LED lights to indicate that the amplifier has exceeded its safe operating temperature, putting the amplifier into a self-protection mode, which reduces the power output of the amplifier. The red light will shut off and the amplifier will return to normal, full-power operating mode if the heat sink temperature drops back to a safe level.
- Constant Amber (Yellow): The Amber (Yellow) LED light indicates that an over-current condition has occurred and is accompanied by a muting of the amplifier's output. Over-current condition can be caused by a speaker impedance lower than the optimum load impedance range for the amplifier or a short-circuit in the speaker wiring.
- LED Off: The only condition that will shut down an undamaged XD500/3v2 completely is if battery voltage or remote turn-on voltage drops below 10 Volts. The amplifier will turn back on when voltage climbs back above 11 Volts.
Cooling System: The outer shell of the JL Audio amplifier is designed to remove heat from the amplifier circuitry. For optimum cooling performance, this outer shell should be exposed to as large a volume of air as possible. Enclosing the amplifier in a small, poorly ventilated chamber can lead to excessive heat build-up and degraded performance.
Control Panel Cover: The XD500/3v2 features a brushed aluminum Control Panel Security Cover which protects and hides the amplifier's controls. When installed, the cover ensures that the amplifier's settings are not accidentally changed while creating a clean aesthetic look for the amplifier and your installation. The control panel security cover is pre-installed at the factory and must be temporarily removed to access the amplifier's controls. The security cover is secured by two 2.5mm hex-head screws.
Simplified Gain Setting: This XDv2 Series amplifier makes setting the gain level of the amp via the input sensitivity control very simple. All you need is Digital AC Voltmeter and a CD Test Disc with a sine-wave test-tone recorded at 0 dB reference level in the frequency range to be amplified for that set of channels (50 Hz for subwoofers, 1 kHz for a midrange application). Each pair of inputs has a separate Input Sensitivity control.
Flexible Input Section And Active Crossover Network: The XD500/3v2 amplifier provides a flexible input section and a comprehensive crossover network to fine tune your system effectively and accurately. This 3-channel amplifier is divided into two separate sections (CH1&2 and SUB), each with their own crossover:
- Filter: The stereo channels (CH1&2) are equipped with a 12 dB/octave Butterworth filter which can be configured as a high-pass (HP) filter or defeated (OFF). You can set the Filter Mode via a two-way switch. The subwoofer channel has a low pass filter that can be configured as a 12 dB/octave Butterworth or a 24 dB/octave Linkwitz-Riley filter, or defeated (OFF).
- Filter Frequency: Each filter frequency can be selected using their respective rotary control. The control has forty detented positions for selecting the precise frequency you desire. There are markings at 50Hz, 60Hz, 80Hz, 120Hz, 200Hz, and 500Hz, plus there is a chart in the Owner's Manual with the exact cutoff frequency for each detent. You'll need a small screwdriver (not included) to set the frequency.
Turn-on Options: The Turn-on Mode Switch lets you choose the method for turning the amplifier on and off:
- +12V Remote Turn-on Lead: The preferred method for turning the amplifier on and off is by running a turn-on lead from the source unit and connecting it to the Remote terminal. When +12V is present at the terminal, the amplifier will turn on. When the +12V is turned off, the amplifier will shut off. The set screw connector on the Remote terminal will accept 18 AWG to 12 AWG wire.
- DC Offset-Sensing: The amplifier will turn on and off when the presence of a very small DC signal (or offset) is detected on the amp's RCA left channel input. The amplifier will turn off when this DC Offset is no longer present. This method is designed for high-level (speaker-level) input signals, not for low-level (line-level) signals.
- Signal-Sensing: The amplifier will turn on and off by detecting the presence of a full-range audio signal at the left-channel input. The amp will turn off approximately 30 seconds after the audio signal is no longer detected. This method is designed for use with high-level (speaker-level) input signals and not for low-level (preamp level) signals.
Note: When the DC Offset or Signal Sensing turn-on methods are being used, the amp's Remote terminal can be used as a remote turn-on output for other amplifiers or accessories in the system.
Additional Controls: In addition to the Input Sensitivity, Filter Mode/Frequency, and Turn-on Mode controls, the XD500/3v2 has the following controls under the control panel:
- Preouts From: The pass-through preamp outputs can be
configured three different ways:
- 1&2: The preamp output delivers the same signal that is connected to the CH 1&2 inputs.
- Sub: The preamp output delivers the same signal that is connected to the Subwoofer Channel Inputs.
- Sum: The preamp output will deliver a summed stereo signal, combining the CH1&2 and SUB inputs, to a subwoofer amplifier.
- Remote Level Mode: You can assign the operation of the connected HD-RLC to the entire amplifier (ALL), or just the subwoofer channel (SUB).
- Input Mode: The Input Mode switch lets you send four discrete channels into the amplifier, or use only two channels to feed all four amplifier channels. You can set the Input Mode to 4 CH or 2 CH. If you only have one channel of subwoofer signal available, you can use only one of the Subwoofer Channel inputs. However, for best results, a Y-adapter is recommended to feed both Sub channel inputs.
Power/Ground/Turn-On Terminals: This JL Audio XDv2 amplifier features set screw clamp terminals for the power, ground, and remote turn-on connections. A 2.5mm hex-wrench is supplied for tightening or loosening the set screws.
- Power and Ground: The amplifier's set screw clamp Power and Ground connections are designed to accept up to 4 AWG power wire.
- Remote Turn-On: The amplifier's set screw clamp turn-on lead will accept 18 to 12 AWG wire.
Note: The Amplifier is not equipped with a fuse. An external 50-amp AFS, AGU, or MAXI fuse must be installed on the power wire. If a wiring kit is used which includes a fuse with a value other than 50 amps, the original should be replaced with a 50-amp fuse.
Speaker Output Terminals: The JL Audio XD500/3v2 features eight set screw clamp speaker terminals. Four terminals are provided for an easy stereo configuration, and four terminals are provided for the mono subwoofer channels. This allows you to connect multiple subwoofers (minimum total impedance 2 ohms). The terminals will accept 16 to 8 AWG speaker wire.
Preamp Inputs: The amplifier features two sets of differential-balanced RCA jack inputs with an Input Voltage switch. For preamp level signals, the switch should be set to LOW. For speaker level signals, the switch should be set to HIGH. The rotary Input Sensitivity gain control can be set the amp to the specific signal source that is feeding it. The amplifier's input voltage range is 200mV-2V (LOW) and 800mV-8V (HIGH).
Preamp Outputs: The XD500/3v2 incorporates a buffered pass-through preamp output section, so that additional amplifiers can be easily added to the system. The preamp output signal is not affected by the amp's Low-Pass Filter. If the Input Voltage switch is in the LOW position, the level of the Preouts matches the input signal strength. When the Input Voltage switch is in the HIGH position, the level of the input signal is attenuated -12dB to produce a line-level signal at the Preouts. You can select which channels feed the preamp outputs: 1&2, Sub, or Summed.
Remote Level Control: The amplifier features a standard RJ-14 telephone connector for adding the optional wired HD-RLC Remote Level Control (sold separately). The Remote Level Control lets you control the volume of the XD500/3v2 from the driver's seat.
Q Crutchfield asked: Why did you buy this?
4 questions already asked