About the JL Audio XD700/5v2
This amp will power your whole system
This amp will power your whole system
Compact design applies to internal components too.
JL Audio's XD700/5v2 amp packs a wallop far beyond what you'd expect from something so small. Proprietary NexD™ amplifier technology allows this compact amp to play your music with true fidelity and impressive impact, without straining your car's electrical system. A cast alloy heatsink and an advanced cooling system keep this amp at optimal temperature, eliminating thermal shut-downs so your music keeps going strong without interruption.
This 5-channel amp can deliver 75 watts RMS to each of your front and rear speakers, while powering a sub with up to 300 watts. You can also switch to 3-channel mode, and power a pair of high-performance speakers with 200 watts each, while still driving a sub with 300 watts.
And for those who run 3-way, or active speaker systems, the XD700/5v2's front channels can be high-passed to run tweeters, the rear channels band-passed for midrange or mid-bass speakers, and the sub channel low-passed for bass.
Works with almost any vehicle's system
"Differential-balanced" inputs keep the signals clear of outside noise, and allow you to connect this amp to just about any in-dash stereo, even a factory radio. The speaker-level inputs feature two auto turn-on modes so you can readily incorporate this amp into a factory system — no need for RCA connections or a remote turn-on lead. An optional wired remote lets you tweak the level of the subwoofer or the whole system from your front seat.
XD700/5v2 connection panel
- 5-channel car amplifer
- 75 watts RMS x 4 + 180 watts RMS x 1 (at 4 ohms)
- 100 watts RMS x 4 + 300 watts RMS x 1 (at 2 ohms)
- 200 watts RMS x 2 bridged at 4 ohms + 300 watts RMS x 1 at 2 ohms
- channel 1 & 2: variable high-pass filter (50-5000 Hz, 12 dB/octave)
- channel 3 & 4: variable high- or band-pass filter (50-500 Hz, 12 dB/octave) — band-pass uses ch. 1/2 setting as its low-pass setting
- sub channel: low-pass (50-500 Hz, 12 or 24 dB/octave)
- optional wired remote controls sub or system level
- Class D amplifier design with NextD switching amp technology
- differential-balanced inputs eliminate noise coming from your vehicle's electrical system
- Advanced Rollback Protection System prevents thermal shut-down
- preamp and speaker-level inputs (speaker wire to RCA adapter required for speaker-level input)
- high-level inputs — up to 8 volts RMS (about 16 watts)
- DC offset or signal sensing auto turn-on eliminates need for remote lead
- 4-gauge power and ground leads and a 60-amp fuse recommended wiring and hardware not included with amplifier
- no onboard fuses when installing multiple amps in a system, an additional 60-amp in-line fuse between the distribution block and the amplifier is recommended
- 10-1/4"W x 2"H x 7-1/8"D
- warranty: 2 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # 98606
What's in the box:
- Five-channel amplifier
- 2.5mm Allen wrench
- Self-adhesive JL Audio badge
- Owner's manual
JL Audio XD700/5v2 reviews
Nice for installation options. I chose active crossover on set of component speakers and small sub in trunk. Not a bass monster but well balanced.Small, fit under seat without any problems.
Pros: Small, 5 channel options, front/rear or front active + sub
Cons: Not a fan of the clamp style wire holders.
1 of 1 found this helpful
I purchased this amp to replace a Hertz HDP5. When I received the amp I was surprised how small it was. Other reviews mention it, but until you see it you don't realize how much they packed into a small package. This was installed under the rear seat of a 2018 Ram Crew Cab so the small form really helped. The installation was straight forward and I used the JL Audio Youtube tutorial to set the amplifier gains using a DMM. Right away the first thing I noticed was how quiet the amp is. The Hertz had noticeable noise during quiet passages, especially with the volume up. With the JL, there is no noise at all. Even with the volume all the way up there is nothing. My speakers are rated at 100 watts RMS and the 75 RMS this amp puts out is more than enough to drive them. They sound great at all listening levels. My sub box still has not arrived so not been able to test the sub channel yet, but don't expect anything different there. This amplifier is not the cheapest 5 channel amp at this power, but you definitely get what you pay for. I am very happy so far and have no reason to believe I won't be happy for a long time to come.
Pros: Size, Sound Quality, Build Quality
1 of 1 found this helpful
exceed expectations with the power
0 of 0 found this helpful
Excellent overall product with tons of configuration options! Couldn't be more satisfied with this Amp!! It's the perfect blend of power and small form factor for my Tundra. Would but again.
Pros: Power, configuration options and easy to install.
1 of 1 found this helpful
Bought this amplifier to replace 2 Fosgate 300w amplifiers for 4 doors & the subwoofer in my '14 Focus ST (ST1). Fosgate amplifiers lasted less than 1 month before I could fry an egg on the 4-channel amplifier. Decided to change everything for this JL Audio 5-channel amplifier. Everything sounded great for about 1 month. Headed home tonight, sound acted weird, funny smell started, then no sub woofer. I was running a Kicker 300w 8-inch sub per the amp's requirements (compRT 8-inch 300w 2 ohm). Amp should handle 300w no problem per brochure, yet failed miserably. Measured levels with a Picoscope (from head unit, to line converter, to amplifier) prior to committing system installation (nothing past 4v preamp voltage, shouldn't have had a failure). Not impressed.
3 of 11 found this helpful
The JL Audio XD700 is a must have! More than enough power for the mids and subs. Very pleased!
2 of 3 found this helpful
Very happy with this amp! I did my whole system (HU, speakers, sub, amp) all in one shot, so I don't have a baseline to compare to, but the sound quality is excellent. The big pro of this amp is how compact it is. I was surprised when I first opened the box at how small it really is. Super helpful for finding a discreet mounting location for a super clean install.
Pros: Quality product in a compact package
6 of 6 found this helpful
Is a great product to have if you only need to run door speakers, a dvd or navi deck & a subwoofer.
3 of 9 found this helpful
I put this in my newly acquired 2nd vehicle. I have a 10 year old version of the same amp in my other car, and it's been great! If you need a compact 5 channel amp, this is the one to get!
Pros: sound, longevity, compact size, I can't overheat it
Cons: none I have found
10 of 11 found this helpful
Amazing amp. Sound is clean , crisp, and powerful. Love the compact design. Makes it so much easier to hide. Worth every dollar spent.
Pros: Does the job of two amps Compact size Zero noise
8 of 8 found this helpful
Easy to install, very user friendly! Took less than an hour to install. Great buy!
Pros: Great sound! Easy to adjust as needed.
Cons: Some might say price. But you get what you pay for! It's worth the $$
6 of 7 found this helpful
Easy set up. Nice sound. Decent features. 5th channel power limits your subwoofer setup. But, if you are looking for a solid amp with decent power for single sub setup that will also fit in a tight space, this is the one!
Pros: Easy set up. Nice sound. Decent features. Small footprint.
Cons: Limited subwoofer output
8 of 10 found this helpful
Great amp. It paired perfectly with my Polk DB 6501 Speakers with a JL audio Stealth box in my 2015 Jeep Wrangler. Easy install, allows preamp inputs and speaker level inputs. It is very small for as much power as it has. Works and sounds great. It is pricey but worth the money.
Pros: Small size, wide variety of setup options based on your vehicle
12 of 13 found this helpful
I was a little bit taken back by price but bit the bullet. So glad i did! I am a musician and have a very keen ear. I want to close my eyes and put myself in the studio or at a live venue. This amp will do that for you without spending thousands.
Pros: Plenty of clean power. Easy to calibrate. Not insanely expensive. Small footprint for easy installation
Cons: a bit pricier than the 100 to 200 price tags of those standard consumer amps
12 of 13 found this helpful
I was originally just looking to add some bass but decided to amp up my whole system in my 2013 Ram 1500 crew cab. This amp rocks all around! I get clear highs from my Kicker 3.5" dash speakers. Great mid from my Blaupunkt and Rockford in the front and rear doors and the bass from my JL Audio 10" Stealthbox is unbelievable!. Get this amp! You will not be disappointed
Pros: Where do I begin? This has everything I was looking for. Sound quality is amazing
Cons: Absolutely none!
12 of 12 found this helpful
This is a cool little amp that have lots of options. This was a direct factory amp replacement for me. I am using this amp to run my front comps, under seat subs, and a JL 10" W6v2. It runs all of these speakers with ease.
Pros: Nice small footprint.
Cons: None so far.
10 of 13 found this helpful
Awesome Amp! Crystal Clear at full volume, very well made stout and powerful Amp with a tiny footprint. I'm using it to run two 8" kicker mid-bass and two 10" subs. Plenty of power and a lot of excellent features! Love this amp!
Pros: Plenty of power for almost any combination, Well made with High Quality Components, Small footprint, Crystal clear output. A very flexible amp.
Cons: Cost... But you are getting JL Audio Quality!
10 of 10 found this helpful
Absolutely awesome amp. I have a 94 ford ranger pick up regular cab. I installed 6.99 JL speakers in the front and 5th JL in the rear. I installed the CS112LG-TW3 Power wedge and put it behind the passenger seat. The right seat can't go all the way back but it was the only way I could get a 12 of this quality in the truck. The RMS on the w3 will take 400 watts. I'm only pushing 300 max rms at 2 ohms. It hits pretty darn hard with no more airspace that's in the truck. Would have liked to went with the 900 watt 5 channel but didn't wanna put anymore money into it. The door speakers sound amazing. I have it set up pretty close. I'm still breakin the sub in. Its unreal how it all sounds together. So clear and bassy.
Pros: Small powerful easy to adjust. Instructions make so simple for anyone.
Cons: Only con is that I don't have the 900 watt also lol
13 of 14 found this helpful
Wow this is a very compact amp. Great for sleeper systems. Easy to conseal. Very efficient resulting in less heat.
Pros: Compact Efficient and low heat User friendly Fully adjustable
Cons: I wish it included the acessory to adjust the sub. Bass knob sold separately.
13 of 16 found this helpful
Size doesnt matter! I replaced two larger sized (physically) amps with this little bundle of joy. made a nice looking install. Also installed remote volume knob and glad I did. Makes my Rock Warrior "Rock"
Pros: small foot print, lots of power
8 of 9 found this helpful
Great amp well worth the money. .it's like mighty mouse small in size but packs a punch. ..
Pros: Best amp I ever owned. .perfect size perfect sound....
Cons: Have not found and cons with amp
9 of 10 found this helpful
What a great amp!!! It is small, but more than able to back it up with ample punch!!! I`m driving 4 Focal splits and two JL 10" subs and it is more than up to the task of powering them all in a small package. Being a full class D, with more efficiency and runs cool. It deifinately has to be one of the best 5-channel amps out there A++++.
Pros: Good power output, decent warm sound for class D, clean solid design. Everything we have come to know and love about JL Audio is there.
12 of 12 found this helpful
This amplifier was easy to install and very simple to set up. I also is a perfectly small and compact, it is very minimalistic in occupying space in my trunk.
8 of 9 found this helpful
More details on the JL Audio XD700/5v2
Features & specs
|RMS Power Output (Watts x Channels)||
75 x 4 |
180 x 1
|Peak Power Output (Watts x Channels)||N/A|
|Power at 2 Ohms (Watts x Channels)||100 x 4|
|Bridged Power (Watts x Channels)||200 x 2|
|Minimum Impedance Bridged||4|
|Minimum Impedance Unbridged||2|
|Best Frequency Response||12-22000 Hz|
|THD at Rated RMS Power||1%|
|Signal to Noise Ratio||84 dB|
|Low-Pass Crossover Frequency||50-500 Hz|
|Low-Pass Slope (dB/octave)||12 or 24 dB/octave|
|High-Pass Crossover Frequency||50-500 Hz|
|High-Pass Slope (dB/octave)||12 dB/octave|
|Bass Boost Frequency||N/A|
|Speaker Level Inputs||RCA|
|Parts Warranty||2 Years|
|Labor Warranty||2 Years|
XDv2 Series: The JL Audio XDv2 amplifiers feature big audio performance from a small footprint. With advanced NexD switching technologies, the XDv2 amps exceed 80% efficiency, running cooler than most other amplifiers. The Advanced Thermal Rollback System gives you increased reliability and better audio performance by virtually eliminating thermal shut-down. Because the XDv2 amps employ smaller cast alloy heat sinks, they can be installed in smaller spaces. XDv2 amplifiers feature a black powder-coat finish with a brushed aluminum cover for the controls.
Five-channel Class-D Amplifier: The XD700/5v2 is a Class-D 5-channel amplifier, designed specifically for full-range operation for 4 channels, plus a fifth channel to power a subwoofer. The amplifier is stable down to 2 ohms. Channels 1&2 and 3&4 can be bridged to drive a subwoofer (4 ohms) as well.
Amplifier Rating: The XD700/5v2 is rated at 75 Watts RMS x 4 channels, plus 180 Watts RMS x 1 channel at 4-ohms (20 Hz to 20 kHz), Signal-to-Noise Ratio of >104 dB stereo/103 dB subwoofer (at rated power), 1% THD, @14.4 Volts. At 2 ohms, the rated power for Channels 1&2 and 3&4 is 100 Watts RMS x 4, and bridged at 4 ohms, it outputs 200 Watts RMS x 2. The subwoofer channel is rated at 300 Watts RMS x 1 at 2 ohms.
Advanced Rollback Protection: The XDv2-Series amplifiers employ advanced thermal and low-impedance protection to virtually eliminate annoying amplifier shut-down events. Should any XDv2-Series amplifier ever overheat, its intelligent, unregulated power supply reacts by limiting available peak voltage until the amplifier returns to a safe temperature range. Likewise, if an impedance lower than optimal for the amplifier is present at the outputs, the XDv2 amplifier will roll back peak voltage to protect itself without shutting down.
Differential-Balanced Inputs: The XD700/5v2 features differential-balanced input architecture to effectively control noise and ensure compatibility with a wide variety of source units, including many OEM systems. Without resorting to line output converters, you can directly connect most OEM source units to the amplifier without creating any noise or compatibility issues. Unlike conventional single-ended inputs, the differential-balanced design does not connect one side of the audio signal to chassis ground. This eliminates any voltage sensitivity between one input terminal and ground and greatly reduces the incidence of alternator whine in a typical car audio installation.
Note: You will need a Speaker Wire to RCA adapter (sold separately) for each pair of inputs to connect this amplifier to your head unit via speaker level.
Protection Circuitry With Status Indicator Lights: There is a single multi-color LED on the top panel of the amplifier to indicate the amplifier's operating status.
- Flashing Green: When the LED is flashing green, the amplifier is powering up and audio output is muted.
- Constant Green: This LED lights green to indicate that the amplifier is turned on and operating normally.
- Constant Red: This Red LED lights to indicate that the amplifier has exceeded its safe operating temperature, putting the amplifier into a self-protection mode, which reduces the power output of the amplifier. The red light will shut off and the amplifier will return to normal, full-power operating mode if the heat sink temperature drops back to a safe level.
- Constant Amber (Yellow): The Amber (Yellow) LED light indicates that an over-current condition has occurred and is accompanied by a muting of the amplifier's output. Over-current condition can be caused by a speaker impedance lower than the optimum load impedance range for the amplifier or a short-circuit in the speaker wiring.
- LED Off: The only condition that will shut down an undamaged XD700/5v2 completely is if battery voltage or remote turn-on voltage drops below 10 Volts. The amplifier will turn back on when voltage climbs back above 11 Volts.
Cooling System: The outer shell of the JL Audio amplifier is designed to remove heat from the amplifier circuitry. For optimum cooling performance, this outer shell should be exposed to as large a volume of air as possible. Enclosing the amplifier in a small, poorly ventilated chamber can lead to excessive heat build-up and degraded performance.
Control Panel Cover: The XD700/5v2 features a brushed aluminum Control Panel Security Cover which protects and hides the amplifier's controls. When installed, the cover ensures that the amplifier's settings are not accidentally changed while creating a clean aesthetic look for the amplifier and your installation. The control panel security cover is pre-installed at the factory and must be temporarily removed to access the amplifier's controls. The security cover is secured by two 2.5mm hex-head screws.
Simplified Gain Setting: This XDv2 Series amplifier makes setting the gain level of the amp via the input sensitivity control very simple. All you need is Digital AC Voltmeter and a CD Test Disc with a sine-wave test-tone recorded at 0 dB reference level in the frequency range to be amplified for that set of channels (50 Hz for subwoofers, 1 kHz for a midrange application). Each pair of inputs has a separate Input Sensitivity control.
Flexible Input Section And Active Crossover Network: The XD700/5v2 amplifier provides a flexible input section and a comprehensive crossover network to fine tune your system effectively and accurately. This 5-channel amplifier is divided into three separate sections (CH1&2, CH3&4, and SUB), each with their own crossover:
- Filter: The stereo channels (CH1&2 and CH3&4) are each equipped with a 12 dB/octave Sallen-Key filter. The CH1&2 high-pass filter can be set to 1x (50-500Hz), 10x (500-5000Hz), or defeated (OFF). The CH3&4 filter can be configured as a high-pass (50-500Hz) or bandpass filter (below the indicated filter frequency and above the CH1&2 filter frequency), or defeated (OFF). You can set the Filter Mode via a three-way switch. The subwoofer channel has a low pass filter that can be configured as a 12 dB/octave or 24 dB/octave filter, or defeated (OFF).
- Filter Frequency: Each filter frequency can be selected using their respective rotary control. The control has forty detented positions for selecting the precise frequency you desire. There are markings at 50Hz, 60Hz, 80Hz, 120Hz, 200Hz, and 500Hz, plus there is a chart in the Owner's Manual with the exact cutoff frequency for each detent. You'll need a small screwdriver (not included) to set the frequency.
Turn-on Options: The Turn-on Mode Switch lets you choose the method for turning the amplifier on and off:
- +12V Remote Turn-on Lead: The preferred method for turning the amplifier on and off is by running a turn-on lead from the source unit and connecting it to the Remote terminal. When +12V is present at the terminal, the amplifier will turn on. When the +12V is turned off, the amplifier will shut off. The set screw connector on the Remote terminal will accept 18 AWG to 12 AWG wire.
- DC Offset-Sensing: The amplifier will turn on and off when the presence of a very small DC signal (or offset) is detected on the amp's RCA left channel input. The amplifier will turn off when this DC Offset is no longer present. This method is designed for high-level (speaker-level) input signals, not for low-level (line-level) signals.
- Signal-Sensing: The amplifier will turn on and off by detecting the presence of a full-range audio signal at the left-channel input. The amp will turn off approximately 30 seconds after the audio signal is no longer detected. This method is designed for use with high-level (speaker-level) input signals and not for low-level (preamp level) signals.
Note: When the DC Offset or Signal Sensing turn-on methods are being used, the amp's Remote terminal can be used as a remote turn-on output for other amplifiers or accessories in the system.
Additional Controls: In addition to the Input Sensitivity, Filter Mode/Frequency, and Turn-on Mode controls, the XD700/5v2 has the following controls under the control panel:
- Remote Level Mode: You can assign the operation of the connected HD-RLC to the entire amplifier (ALL), or just the subwoofer channel (SUB).
- Input Mode: The Input Mode switch lets you send six discrete channels into the amplifier, or use only two or four channels to feed all five amplifier channels. You can set the Input Mode to 2 CH, 4 CH, or 6 CH. If you only have one channel of subwoofer signal available, you can use only one of the Subwoofer Channel inputs. However, for best results, a Y-adapter is recommended to feed both Sub channel inputs.
Power/Ground/Turn-On Terminals: This JL Audio XDv2 amplifier features set screw clamp terminals for the power, ground, and remote turn-on connections. A 2.5mm hex-wrench is supplied for tightening or loosening the set screws.
- Power and Ground: The amplifier's set screw clamp Power and Ground connections are designed to accept up to 4 AWG power wire.
- Remote Turn-On: The amplifier's set screw clamp turn-on lead will accept 18 to 12 AWG wire.
Note: The Amplifier is not equipped with a fuse. An external 60-amp AFS, AGU, or MAXI fuse must be installed on the power wire. If a wiring kit is used which includes a fuse with a value other than 60 amps, the original should be replaced with a 60-amp fuse.
Speaker Output Terminals: The JL Audio XD700/5v2 features 12 set screw clamp speaker terminals. Eight terminals are provided for easy stereo configuration for CH1&2 and CH3&4, and four terminals are provided for the mono subwoofer channel. This allows you to connect multiple subwoofers (minimum total impedance 2 ohms). The terminals will accept 16 to 8 AWG speaker wire.
Preamp Inputs: The amplifier features three sets of differential-balanced RCA jack inputs with an Input Voltage switch. For preamp level signals, the switch should be set to LOW. For speaker level signals, the switch should be set to HIGH. The rotary Input Sensitivity gain control can be set the amp to the specific signal source that is feeding it. The amplifier's input voltage range is 200mV-2V (LOW) and 800mV-8V (HIGH).
Note: The XD700/5v2 does not offer preamp outputs.
Remote Level Control: The amplifier features a standard RJ-14 telephone connector for adding the optional wired HD-RLC Remote Level Control (sold separately). The Remote Level Control lets you control the volume of the XD700/5v2 from the driver's seat.
Q Crutchfield asked: Why did you buy this?
5 questions already asked