About the JL Audio RD1500/1
Power your bass
Power your bass
JL Audio's RD1500/1 mono amplifier will power your subwoofer with up to 1,500 watts RMS, so you'll really hear and feel the bass over the whistle of the wind and rumble of the road. An optional wired remote lets you adjust the sub's volume from your front seat.
Low current demand, low distortion, and integrates well
The RD1500/1 plays your music with true fidelity and impressive impact, without straining your car's electrical system too much, thanks to JL Audio's proprietary NexD™ amplifier technology. "Differential-balanced" inputs keep the incoming signals clear of outside noise, and allow you to connect this amp to just about any radio. The speaker-level inputs feature two auto turn-on modes so you can readily incorporate this amp into a factory system — no need for RCA connections or a remote turn-on lead for this setup.
LED clip light and other cool features
A low-pass filter and bass boost help you dial in the perfect tone for your sub and enclosure. An onboard LED clip indicator lets you set the amp gain quickly and accurately with the use of a sine wave test tone. A removable cover hides the amp's controls, resulting in a handsome appearance and a tamper-resistant installation. Cool blue LED accent lighting adds some charm to this amp's rugged good looks.
RD1500/1 connection panel
- mono subwoofer amplifier
- 750 watts RMS x 1 at 4 ohms
- 1500 watts RMS x 1 at 2 ohms
- 1500 watts RMS x 1 at 1 ohm
- Class D amplifier design with NextD™ switching amp technology
- differential-balanced inputs help eliminate noise
- variable low-pass filter (50-500 Hz, 12 dB/octave)
- variable bass boost (0-12 dB at 45 Hz)
- LED clip light helps set gain
- blue LED accent lighting
- optional wired remote level control
- preamp inputs and outputs
- speaker-level inputs (speaker wire to RCA adapter required)
- wiring, fuse, and hardware not included with amplifier
- 2-gauge power and ground leads and a 150-amp fuse recommended
- 18-1/16"W x 2-3/16"H x 7"D
- warranty: 2 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # 98643
What's in the box:
- Mono subwoofer amplifier
- JL Audio badge
- 3mm Allen wrench
- 2.5mm Allen wrench
- Owner's manual
More details on the JL Audio RD1500/1
Features & specs
|RMS Power Output (Watts x Channels)||
750 x 1 |
|Peak Power Output (Watts x Channels)||N/A|
|Power at 2 Ohms (Watts x Channels)||1500 x 1|
|Bridged Power (Watts x Channels)||N/A|
|Minimum Impedance Bridged||N/A|
|Minimum Impedance Unbridged||1|
|Best Frequency Response||7-500 Hz|
|THD at Rated RMS Power||1%|
|Signal to Noise Ratio||50 dB|
|Low-Pass Crossover Frequency||50-500 Hz|
|Low-Pass Slope (dB/octave)||12 dB/octave|
|High-Pass Crossover Frequency||N/A|
|High-Pass Slope (dB/octave)||N/A|
|Bass Boost||0-12 dB|
|Bass Boost Frequency||45 Hz|
|Speaker Level Inputs||RCA|
|Preamp Outputs||1 pair|
|Parts Warranty||2 Years|
|Labor Warranty||2 Years|
RD Series: The JL Audio RD series amplifiers feature big audio performance from a small footprint. With exclusive NexD switching technologies, the RD amps run cooler than most other amplifiers. Because the RD amps employ smaller cast alloy heat sinks, they can be installed in smaller spaces. RD amplifiers feature a black powder-coat finish with a brushed aluminum cover for the controls.
Mono Class-D Amplifier: The RD1500/1 is a Class-D mono amplifier, designed specifically for powering subwoofers. The amplifier is stable down to 1Ω.
Power Output: measured at 14.4 volts, from 20-500 Hz, with <1% THD+Noise
- 4Ω: 750 watts RMS x 1 channel (also 750 watts RMS at 12.5 volts)
- 3Ω: 1000 watts RMS x 1 channel (also 1000 watts RMS at 12.5 volts)
- 2Ω: 1500 watts RMS x 1 channel (1200 watts RMS at 12.5 volts)
- 1Ω: 1500 watts RMS x 1 channel ( also 1500 watts RMS at 12.5 volts)
Differential-Balanced Inputs: The RD1500/1 features differential-balanced input architecture to effectively control noise and ensure compatibility with a wide variety of source units, including many factory systems. Without resorting to line output converters, you can directly connect most OEM source units to the amplifier without creating any noise or compatibility issues. Unlike conventional single-ended inputs, the differential-balanced design does not connect one side of the audio signal to chassis ground. This eliminates any voltage sensitivity between one input terminal and ground and greatly reduces the incidence of alternator whine in a typical car audio installation.
Note: You will need a Speaker Wire to RCA adapter (sold separately) to connect this amplifier to your head unit's speaker level outputs.
Protection Circuitry With Status Indicator Lights: The amp features a bi-color LED light strip on the top panel of the amplifier to indicate the amplifier's operating status:
- Temporary Red: When the amplifier is powering up, the light strip turns red for ½ second and audio output is muted.
- Constant Blue: The LEDs light blue to indicate that the amplifier is turned on and operating normally.
- Constant Red: The LEDs light constant red to indicate that the amplifier has exceeded its safe operating temperature, putting the amplifier into a self-protection mode, which mutes the power output of the amplifier. The red LEDs will shut off and the amplifier will return to normal, full-power operating mode when the temperature drops back to a safe level.
- Momentary Red: The light strip will light red for a ½ second and the output will be muted to indicate that an over-current condition has occurred. Over-current condition can be caused by a speaker impedance lower than the optimum load impedance range for the amplifier or a short-circuit in the speaker wiring.
- LEDs Off: The only condition that will shut down an undamaged RD1500/1 completely is if battery voltage or remote turn-on voltage drops below 10 Volts. The amplifier will turn back on when voltage climbs back above 11 Volts.
Cooling System: The outer shell of the JL Audio amplifier is designed to remove heat from the amplifier circuitry. For optimum cooling performance, this outer shell should be exposed to as large a volume of air as possible. Enclosing the amplifier in a small, poorly ventilated chamber can lead to excessive heat build-up and degraded performance.
Control Panel Cover: The RD1500/1 features a brushed aluminum control panel cover, which protects and hides the amplifier's controls. When installed, the cover ensures that the amplifier's settings are not accidentally changed, while creating a clean aesthetic look for the amplifier and your installation. The control panel security cover is pre-installed at the factory and must be temporarily removed to access the amplifier's controls. The security cover screws can be removed with the supplied 2.5mm Allen wrench.
LED Clipping Indicators: The amplifier is equipped with an onboard LED clipping indicator which lets you quickly and accurately set the amp's input sensitivity without special equipment. The simple, 7-step procedure using a Test CD and a screwdriver properly sets the input sensitivity to its optimum level.
Flexible Input Section and Active Crossover Network: The RD1500/1 amplifier provides a flexible input section and a comprehensive crossover network to fine tune your system effectively and accurately. The amp is equipped with a 12 dB/octave Butterworth low-pass filter with a rotary control to select the cutoff frequency between 50 Hz and 500 Hz. There are additional markings at 60 Hz, 80 Hz, 120 Hz, and 200 Hz. You'll need a small screwdriver (not included) to set the frequency.
Turn-on Options: The Turn-on Mode Switch lets you choose the method for turning the amplifier on and off:
- +12V Remote Turn-on Lead: The preferred method for turning the amplifier on and off is by running a turn-on lead from the source unit and connecting it to the Remote terminal. When +12V is present at the terminal, the amplifier will turn on. When the +12V is removed, the amplifier will turn off. The screw clamp terminal will accept 18 AWG to 8 AWG wire.
- DC Offset-Sensing: The amplifier will turn on and off when the presence of a very small DC signal (or offset) is detected on the amp's left channel RCA input. The amplifier will turn off when this DC Offset is no longer present. This method is designed for high level (speaker level) input signals, not for low level (line level) signals.
- Signal-Sensing: The amplifier will turn on and off by detecting the presence of a full-range audio signal at the left-channel input. The amp will turn off approximately 30 seconds after the audio signal is no longer detected. This method is designed for use with high level (speaker level) input signals and not for low level (preamp level) signals.
Input Voltage: The amp will accept a wide range of signal input voltages, from 200mV to 8V. The range is split into two sub-ranges: "Low" for preamp level signals from 200mV to 2V, and "High" for high-output preamp level signals and speaker level signals from 800mV to 8V.
Power/Ground/Turn-On Terminals: This JL Audio RD amplifier features screw clamp terminals for the power, ground, and remote turn-on connections. 3mm and 2.5mm Allen wrenches are supplied for tightening or loosening the set screws.
- Power and Ground: The amplifier's screw clamp Power and Ground connections are designed to accept up to 2 AWG power wire. (JL Audio recommends 2 AWG minimum.)
- Remote Turn-On: The amplifier's screw clamp turn-on terminal will accept 18 to 8 AWG wire.
Note: The Amplifier is not equipped with a fuse. An external 150-amp fuse must be installed on the power wire. If a wiring kit is used which includes a fuse with a value other than 150 amps, the original should be replaced with a 150-amp fuse.
Speaker Output Terminals: The JL Audio RD1500/1 features two pair of screw clamp speaker terminals. They are internally wired in parallel, so you can easily connect two subwoofers. The terminals will accept 16 to 8 AWG speaker wire.
Preamp Inputs: The amplifier features one set of differential-balanced RCA jack inputs with an Input Voltage switch and a rotary Input Sensitivity control. The amplifier's input voltage range is 200mV-2V (LOW) and 800mV-8V (HIGH).
Preamp Outputs: The RD1500/1 incorporates a buffered pass-through preamp output section, so that additional amplifiers can be easily added to the system. The preamp output signal is not affected by the amp's crossover network, it delivers the same signal that is connected to the preamp input.
Remote Level Control: The amplifier features a standard RJ-14 telephone connector for adding the optional RBC-1 Wired Remote Bass Controller (sold separately). The Remote Bass Controller lets you control the volume of the RD1500/1 from the driver's seat.
2 questions already asked