About the JL Audio M600/1
Small footprint, big kick
Small footprint, big kick
JL Audio's M600/1 marine amp is small — less than 9" wide — but it delivers a massive amount of power from its compact chassis — up to 600 watts to a sub at 2 ohms. It owes these impressive specs to JL Audio's Class D NexD™ ultra-high-speed switching design, which eliminates the traditional drawbacks of a Class D amp design to deliver full-bandwidth performance, excellent efficiency, and very low distortion levels.
Great for a variety of applications
This mono amp is great for bumping up the bass on your pleasure craft — it's perfect for driving a pair of 4-ohm subs. You can run the built-in variable low-pass filters anywhere between 50 to 500 Hz, with a selectable 12 or 24 dB slope, so you can get maximum performance out of your subwoofer setup. A fixed subsonic filter removes extreme low frequencies so your amp and sub play cleaner and louder.
JL Audio's optional wired remote lets you adjust the amp's level from the helm, while the preamp outputs make it easier to get signal to another amplifier in your system. The special powder-coat finishes, the gasketed control cover, and the stainless-steel hardware all protect this amp against the harsh realities of the marine environment.
- mono marine amplifier
- 400 watts RMS x 1 at 4 ohms (600 watts RMS x 1 at 2 ohms)
- Class-D design
- white and gray powder-coat finishes, gasketed control cover, and stainless steel hardware
- variable low-pass filters (50-500 Hz, 12 or 24 dB per octave)
- subsonic filter (30 Hz)
- optional remote level control
- preamp-level inputs
- preamp outputs
- 4-gauge power and ground leads recommended wiring and hardware not included with amplifier
- 8-1/2"W x 2-1/16"H x 7-1/8"D
- warranty: 2 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # 98273
What's in the box:
- Monoblock class-D marine subwoofer amplifier
- 2.5mm Allen wrench
- JL Audio emblem
- Owner's Manual
More details on the JL Audio M600/1
Features & specs
|RMS Power Output (Watts x Channels)||400 x 1|
|Frequency Response at Rated RMS Power||20-20k Hz|
|THD at Rated RMS Power||1%|
|Signal to Noise Ratio||87 dB|
|Peak Power Output (Watts x Channels)||N/A|
|Power at 2 Ohms (Watts x Channels)||600 x 1|
|Bridged Power (Watts x Channels)||N/A|
|Minimum Impedance Bridged||N/A|
|Minimum Impedance Unbridged||2|
|Low-Pass Crossover Frequency||50-500 Hz|
|Low-Pass Slope (dB/octave)||12 or 24 dB/oct|
|High-Pass Crossover Frequency||N/A|
|High-Pass Slope (dB/octave)||N/A|
|Bass Boost Frequency||N/A|
|Speaker Level Inputs||Yes|
|Preamp Outputs||1 pair|
|Parts Warranty||2 Years|
|Labor Warranty||2 Years|
Monoblock Class-D Subwoofer Amplifier: The JL Audio M600/1 is a monoblock marine amplifier utilizing JL Audio NexD high-speed switching technology to deliver outstanding fidelity and efficiency. The M600/1 can be operated with a wide variety of source units and system configurations. Its frequency response is limited to the range below 500 Hz. Every aspect of its operation has been optimized for low-frequency amplification.
Note: The M600/1 is not designed for driving midrange speakers or tweeters.
Marine Amplifier: The JL Audio M-series marine amplifiers are specifically designed for marine applications. These amps are not waterproof, however, and should not be mounted where they are likely to get wet.
Amplifier Rating: The JL Audio M600/1 Class D monoblock marine subwoofer amplifier is rated at 400 Watts RMS x 1-channel at 4-ohms with a signal-to-noise-ratio of 87 dB and a total harmonic distortion of 1% while receiving 14.4 Volts. The rated power at 12.5 Volts is 300 Watts RMS x 1 at 4-ohms, and 500 Watts RMS x 1 at 2-ohms.
NexD Class D Technology: NexD is a state-of-the-art switching amplifier design that combines exceptional audio quality with excellent efficiency and less complexity. This results in an affordable compact amplification with exceptional audio quality and unsurpassed total efficiency.
Advanced Rollback Protection: The M-series amplifiers employ advanced thermal and low-impedance protection to virtually eliminate annoying amplifier shut-down events. Should any M-series amplifier ever overheat, its intelligent, unregulated power supply reacts by limiting available peak voltage until the amplifier returns to a safe temperature range. Likewise, if an impedance lower than optimal for the amplifier is present at the outputs, the M-series amplifier will roll back peak voltage to protect itself without shutting down.
Differential-Balanced Inputs: The JL Audio amplifier features differential-balanced input architecture to effectively control noise and ensure compatibility with a wide variety of source units, including many OEM systems. Without resorting to line output converters, you can directly connect most OEM source units to the JL Audio amplifier without creating any noise or compatibility issues. Unlike conventional single-ended inputs, the differential-balanced design does not connect one side of the audio signal to chassis ground. This eliminates any voltage sensitivity between one input terminal and ground and greatly reduces the incidence of alternator whine in a typical 12-volt audio installation.
Note: You will need a speaker wire to RCA adapter (136XDCLR2S, sold separately) to connect this amplifier to your headunit via speaker-level inputs.
Protection Circuitry With Status Indicator Lights: There is a single multi-color LED on the top panel of the amplifier to indicate the amplifier's operating status.
- Flashing Green: When the LED is flashing green, the amplifier is powering up and audio output is muted.
- Constant Green: This LED lights green to indicate that the amplifier is turned on and operating normally.
- Constant Red: This Red LED lights to indicate that the amplifier has exceeded its safe operating temperature, putting the amplifier into a self-protection mode, which reduces the power output of the amplifier. The red light will shut off and the amplifier will return to normal, full-power operating mode if the heat sink temperature drops back to a safe level.
- Constant Amber (Yellow): The Amber (Yellow) LED light indicates that an over-current condition has occurred and is accompanied by a muting of the amplifier's output. Over-current condition can be caused by a speaker impedance lower than the optimum load impedance range for the amplifier or a short-circuit in the speaker wiring.
- LED Off: The only condition that will shut down an undamaged M600/1 completely is if battery voltage or remote turn-on voltage drops below 10 Volts. The amplifier will turn back on when voltage climbs back above 11 Volts.
Cooling System: The outer shell of the JL Audio amplifier is designed to remove heat from the amplifier circuitry. For optimum cooling performance, this outer shell should be exposed to as large a volume of air as possible. Enclosing the amplifier in a small, poorly ventilated chamber can lead to excessive heat build-up and degraded performance.
Control Panel Cover: The M600/1 features a Control Panel Security Cover which protects and hides the amplifier's controls. When installed, the cover ensures that the amplifier's settings are not accidentally changed while creating a clean aesthetic look for the amplifier and your installation. The control panel security cover is pre-installed at the factory and must be temporarily removed for access the amplifier's controls. The security cover is secured by two 2.5mm Allen-head screws.
Simplified Gain Setting: The M-series amplifier makes setting the gain level of the amp via the input sensitivity control very simple. All you need is Digital AC Voltmeter (142TK12V, sold separately) and a Test CD Disc (503CD104, sold separately) with a sine-wave test-tone recorded at 0 dB reference level in the frequency range to be amplified for that set of channels (50 Hz for subwoofer channels, 1 kHz for a midrange application).
Flexible Input Section And Active Crossover Network: The JL Audio M-series amplifier provides a flexible input section and a comprehensive crossover network to fine tune your system effectively and accurately. The variable filter design employed in the JL Audio M-series amplifier crossover sections allow you to seamlessly switch slopes, easily change filter frequencies and address what frequencies the preamp inputs will pass. The M600/1 offers the following independent crossover adjustments behind a removal cover plate.
- Switchable Slope on all filters: 12dB/octave Butterworth or 24dB/octave Linkwitz-Riley alignments allowing for more precise integration of subwoofer and speaker channels.
- Variable Frequency: Fully-variable frequency selection from 50-500 Hz for low-pass crossover.
- Infrasonic Filter: The Infrasonic Filter is a 24 d/b/octave high-pass filter, with a fixed cutoff frequency of 30 Hz. This filter is designed to conserve amplifier power and protect subwoofer systems, without audibly degrading the sub-bass output.
Note: The amplifier's low-pass filter can be bypassed in order to use an external active crossover in your car audio system. With the internal crossover turned off, the M600/1's upper frequency response is limited to 500Hz.
Power/Ground/Turn-On Terminals: The amplifier features set-screw terminals for the power, ground, and remote turn-on connections.
- Power and Ground: The JL Audio amplifier's set-screw Power and Ground connections are designed to accept 8 to 4 AWG power wire. A 2.5mm Allen wrench is supplied for making connections.
- Remote Turn-On: The JL Audio M-series amplifier's set-screw turn-on lead will accept 18 to 8 AWG wire. The same 2.5mm Allen wrench is supplied for making connection.
Note: The Amplifier is not equipped with a fuse. An external 50-amp AFS, AGU, or MAXI fuse (not included) must be installed on the power wire. If a wiring kit is used which includes a fuse with a value other than 50-amps, the original should be replaced with a 50-amp fuse.
Speaker Output Terminals: The JL M600/1 features four set-screw speaker terminals for an easy parallel subwoofer connection. The M600/1 amplifier's four set-screw speaker terminals will accept 16 to 8 AWG speaker wire. A 2.5mm Allen wrench is supplied for making connections.
Preamp Inputs: The amplifier features one set of differential-balanced RCA jack inputs. The amplifier features a dedicated Input Sensitivity gain control for these inputs. These controls are designed to match the input sensitivity of the M600/1 to the specific signal source that is feeding it. The amplifier's input level can be set between 100mV-4V RMS.
Preamp Outputs: The M600/1 incorporates a pass-through preamp output sections, so that additional amplifiers can easily be connected to the same signal(s) feeding the M600/1. These preamp output signals are buffered to prevent noise and are always preamp level, regardless of the level of signals feeding the M600/1's inputs.
Remote Level Control: The amplifier features an RJ-14 connector for adding an optional wired remote level control. With the addition of the optional wired Remote Level Control (136HDRLC, sold separately), you can control the volume of the M600/1 from the front of your vehicle. This is useful for subwoofer level control. If desired, multiple M-series amplifiers can be controlled from a single HD-RLC controller using a simple phone line splitter and multiple phone cables (all sold separately).
Note: All inputs and outputs are located on the front side of the amplifier to make installation of the amplifier simple and neat.
Q Crutchfield asked: Why did you buy this?
1 question already asked