About the Sony DSX-B700
Big is better
Big is better
With its plentiful 3-line display and big ol' multi-function knob, Sony's DSX-B700 digital media receiver makes convenience a priority while still looking sleek. Built-in Bluetooth enhances your dash, giving you wireless music streaming and hands-free calling with a connection to your smartphone. Plus, you can enjoy AM/FM radio, your entire digital music collection, and you have the option of adding SiriusXM satellite radio. Sony also expands control of this hearty receiver with its free Music Center app, which lets you switch sources, craft your sound settings, and access basic receiver functions from your smartphone. For select Android phones, it also adds nifty voice control.
Big on Bluetooth®
The DSX-B700 lets you connect two phones via Bluetooth at the same time to answer and make hands-free calls. You'll also gain wireless audio streaming for one device at a time. And using a compatible iPhone, Siri Eyes Free allows you to make calls, send and compose texts, set up reminders, and more, all with voice-control.
Sony's Digital Clarity Tuner ensures your AM/FM reception is as clear as possible for enjoying your favorite stations. But if you're on the road a lot, consider adding a SiriusXM satellite radio tuner, so you can enjoy their unparalleled variety of sports, news, talk, commercial-free music, and more. You can drive from Bangor to Bakersfield without losing your favorite station. Sony also builds in a bonus for Pandora users — you'll have control from the receiver over the app on your phone.
This Sony sports a front USB input so you can easily swap out a music-loaded flash drive with a wired connection to your smartphone if you need to grab a charge on the go.
Sights and sounds
Sony gives you frequency filters, bass enhancers, and a 10-band equalizer for dialing in the best sound in your ride. And if you want to match the color of your new receiver to your factory interior lighting, Sony gives you nice illumination options that will even pulse in time to the beat or volume of your music.
Bluetooth note: Use of this receiver's Bluetooth features will depend upon your phone's Bluetooth capabilities.
iPod/smartphone note: If you're going to use your iPod or smartphone with this receiver, be sure to check "Details" for compatibility information.
- digital media receiver with AM/FM tuner
- Bluetooth hands-free calling and audio streaming
- variable color button illumination with 3-line LCD white display
- Sound Synchronization displays color changes timed to your music
- fits double-DIN (4"-tall) dash openings
- remote control
Smartphone Features: (see Details for info on compatibility with specific smartphones and apps):
- built-in iPod, iPhone, and iPad control
- AOA 2.0 for music file playback on select Android devices through USB input
- Pandora Internet radio control with iPhone and Android
- Siri Eyes Free with compatible iPhones
- dual phone connection
- Quick-BrowZer and Jump Mode search features
- EQ10 10-band equalizer
- EXTRA BASS low-frequency reinforcement
- high- and low-pass filters
- compatible with SiriusXM satellite radio tuner
- inputs: front auxiliary and USB inputs
- outputs: 6-channel preamp outputs (2-volt front, rear, subwoofer)
- built-in amplifier (20 watts RMS CTA-2006/55 peak x 4 channels)
- compatible with most factory steering wheel audio controls (adapter required)
- CTA-2006 compliant
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # DSX-B700
What's in the box:
- Digital media receiver (10A fuse)
- Wiring harness
- Remote control (RM-X231)
- CR2025 3V battery (installed in remote)
- Microphone w/ bracket (attached 11' cord terminated by a right-angle male mono-3.5mm connector)
- 4 ISO-screws
- Operating Instructions
- Warranty Information
More details on the Sony DSX-B700
Features & specs
|Backup Camera Input||No|
|Second Camera Input||No|
|Alexa Voice Control||N|
|Memory Card Slot||USB|
|Satellite Radio Ready||SiriusXM|
|RMS Power (CTA-2006)||20 watts|
|RMS Power (Manufacturer)||20 watts|
|Peak Output||55 watts|
|RMS Power Bandwidth||20-20kHz|
|Sub Preamp Outputs||Yes|
|Switchable Rear Preamp Outputs||No|
|Navigation App Compatible (iOS)|
|Navigation App Compatible (Android)|
|Preamp Voltage||2 volts|
|Key Button Color||Variable|
|Steering Wheel Control Compatible||Adapter required|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
|FM Sensitivity||7 dBf|
|Radio Data System||Yes|
|Music File Playback||MP3, WMA, AAC, FLAC|
Bluetooth Technology: The Sony DSX-B700 is equipped with built-in Bluetooth (version 3.0), allowing you to make and receive phone calls wirelessly through the receiver; as well as stream music wirelessly from your smartphone to the head unit. In order to use Bluetooth wireless technology, your phone must also be Bluetooth compatible and be able to interpret certain profiles. This unit is compatible with the following Bluetooth Profiles:
- Hands-Free Communication: HFP 1.6 (Hands Free Profile), PBAB 1.0 (Phone Book Access Profile).
- Audio Streaming: A2DP 1.3 (Advanced Audio Distribution Profile), AVRCP 1.3 (Audio/Video Remote Control Profile).
Note: Due to the differences in Bluetooth technology, some Bluetooth enabled devices may be incompatible, function improperly, or may not support all features when used with the Sony DSX-B700.
Multi-Device Pairing w/ Dual-Phone Connection: Up to nine Bluetooth-compatible devices can be paired to this receiver. You are even able to keep two Bluetooth-enabled phones connected at the same time, so you can make and receive calls from either phone through the head unit. Only one audio device can be connected at a time, which means only one of the two connected phones can stream audio. One an already paired device is in close proximity to the Sony receiver, the two units will automatically re-connect. The head unit offers two pairing modes - SSP (Simple Secure Pairing) or USB Auto Pairing
- Simple Secure Pairing: With Simple Secure Pairing (SSP), you can easily pair a Bluetooth enabled phone to the Sony DSX-B700 without having to enter pin codes or go through complicated settings.
- USB Auto (for iPhone): You can pair your Apple iPhone (iOS 5.0+) by simply connecting it to the Sony head unit via USB and activating the Bluetooth function on your Apple device.
Hands-Free Communication w/ External Mic: The Sony DSX-B700 supports Bluetooth hands-free communication for your Bluetooth enabled cell-phone (such as your iPhone or Android smartphone). Bluetooth hands-free communication helps to minimize distraction while driving by allowing you to control your mobile phone from the head unit, so you don't have to touch your mobile phone. The unit features an external microphone microphone (featuring adjustable gain), so you can carry on your side of the conversation while listening to the caller through your vehicles speakers. And thanks to the latest Hands-Free Profile (HFP 1.6) with wideband speech capability, the DSX-B700 provides more natural sound quality and details during wireless calls.
- Answering Calls: Incoming calls can be answered manually or automatically (between 3-10 seconds) through the Sony head unit, while the ring tone is output from your car speakers and the caller's name or phone number is displayed on the head unit's LCD. Incoming calls can also be rejected if desired.
- Dialing a Number: Using the DSX-B700, you can dial a phone number in one of the following ways.
- Entering Phone #: Allows you to manually dial a phone number using the unit's control dial.
- Preset Dial: You can store up to 6 contacts in the preset dial for quick dialing.
- Phone Book: You can store up to 1,000 contacts in the unit's phone book. Up to a 40 character name can be input for each contact.
- Call History: The unit will store the last 20 calls, allowing you to select a previous phone number quickly from the list.
- Voice Dial: You can make a call using the voice tags stored on your connected cellular phone.
- Redial: Use to easily redial the last number you called.
Note: During a conversation, you can switch between the Private Mode (talking directly on your cell phone) and the Hands Free Mode.
Wireless Audio Streaming: The Sony DSX-B700 supports wireless audio playback (AD2P) and control (AVRCP) of a Bluetooth-enabled smartphone or audio player, plus song/artist information display. You are able to stream your stored music library on your Bluetooth-enabled smartphone, as well as music apps downloaded on your smartphone to the Sony DSX-B700 for playback.
- SBC + AAC Codecs: In addition to support for the standard SBC Bluetooth audio codec, the DSX-B700 offers support of AAC. By supporting AAC, the DSX-B700 offers better audio performance of the music streamed from your Apple iPod, iPhone, or iPad.
- Music Control: The Sony DSX-B700 lets you control basic playback functions like Play/Pause and Previous/Next Track from its front-panel. Advanced music browsing is not supported.
- Song/Artist Information: The head unit will also display your stored music and music app's song information; such as Artist name and Song/Album title (not compatible with all apps).
Note: When an incoming call or outgoing call is in progress from your Bluetooth enabled mobile phone, audio streaming will be paused so you can take your call. Once the call is finished, your streaming music will resume.
Siri Eyes Free Control (for iPhone): When paired and connected to an iPhone with Siri via Bluetooth, the Sony DSX-B700 has the ability to access Siri through its front-panel controls and external microphone. Simply activate the "voice dial" function on the DSX-B700 to engage Siri and use the included microphone to communicate with Siri. Siri's voice will heard through your vehicle's speakers. All Siri functions including hands-free calling, music search, setting reminders, text-messaging, audible navigation, and more can be done through the head unit and its microphone. You can even ask Siri to get directions to a destination and the turn-by-turn instructions will heard through your vehicle's speakers, while the on-screen map still displays on your iPhone with Siri. The head unit's audio is attenuated while Siri provides audible directions.
Note: The head unit will only display hands-free calling and Bluetooth audio information (all other functions of Siri are only audible through the DSX-B700; visual data will still need to be viewed from your iPhone).
Android Direct Connect via USB: The Sony DSX-B700 enables playback of stored music and music apps on select Android smartphones through its front-panel USB port. The unit's USB port (1.5A) will also charge your Android device while connected; the vehicle's accessory key must be set to the 'ACC' or 'On' position. There are two types of modes to choose from based on your type of Android smartphone and what content you want to listen to.
- AOA 2.0 (Stored Music & Music Apps): The Sony DSX-B700 supports Android Open Accessory 2.0 (AOA 2.0), which lets you connect your Android smartphone (OS 4.1-7.1.2) to the DSX-B700's front-panel USB port and listen to stored music and select music apps from your Android device through the Sony receiver. You'll be able to control basic playback functions such as Play/Pause and Previous/Next Track. Other advanced music navigation will still be done from your Android smartphone's touchscreen. In this mode, the head unit will not display song/artist information; you'll continue to view song/artist information from the Android device's touchscreen. You'll still be able to access other functions and applications from your Android smartphone's touchscreen, while listening to music through the head unit. If you make a call or answer a call from your smartphone while listening to music in this mode, the music will pause until you are finished with the call and then start back up again.
- MTP (Stored Music w/ Song/Artist Info): The DSX-B700 also supports MTP for playback & control of stored MP3/WMA music files on your Android (OS 4.0+) device through the Sony receiver's front-panel USB port. In this mode, you get basic playback control (like Play/Pause & Previous/Next Track), plus song/artist information on the receiver's LCD screen. During MTP connection, you cannot use your Android smartphone's touchscreen to control music playback and you cannot select music apps from your smartphone for playback. However, you can continue to listen to stored music on your Android smartphone through the head unit while you check your Calendar, Facebook, Texts, etc on your phone.
Note: Sony does not guarantee operation with all Android devices, regardless of operating system.
iPod/iPhone Direct Connect via USB: The Sony DSX-B700 supports direct connection of select Lightning or 30-pin Apple iPod/iPhone devices through its front-panel USB port. The DSX-B700 offers playback of your music library or music apps, music control, song/artist/album display, and charging of select Apple devices. Simply connect your compatible iPod/iPhone using the cable that came with your Apple device, or purchase another Lightning-to-USB or dock-to-USB cable (sold separately) to be used in the car.
- Playback Control: The unit offers basic playback controls - such as Play/Pause, Fast Forward/Rewind, Previous/Next Track, and Repeat/Random. Your iPod/iPhone will remain unlocked during connection, so you can continue to control your Apple device from its touchscreen for advanced music browsing and to access additional music apps.
- Song/Artist Info: The digital media receiver will display your iPod/iPhone's stored music file information; including Track number, Elapsed playing time, Song Title, & Artist/Album Name. The DSX-B700 will also display song/artist information and station identification from select music apps.
- 1.5A Charging: The head unit's USB connection provides 1A of current to power and charge your connected iPod/iPhone when your vehicle's ignition switch is set to the 'ACC' or 'On' position. If your iPod/iPhone has no initial battery charge, then this unit will not recognize it.
Note: Access to your iPhone's downloaded applications will depend on the availability of a cellular and/or WiFi network for purposes of allowing your iPhone to connect to the Internet.
iPod/iPhone Compatibility Chart: The Sony DSX-B700 is "Made for iPod/iPhone" compatible and supports the following iPod/iPhone model features (as of 6/7/2019):
|Apple Device||Generation||Tested Version||Media Type||Control Type||Specific Apps||Display Type||Bluetooth||Charge|
|Audio||Video||Head Unit||iPod/iPhone||Music Center||Pandora||Artist/Song Text||Track Info||Phone||Audio||Siri|
Note: Apple iPod/iPhone software updates may change functionality results. If you download a newer software version, you may need to reset the head unit and your iPod/iPhone to regain functionality. If this doesn't work, you may need to wait until a newer software update is available.
USB Mass Storage Class Playback: The head unit feature a front-panel USB (type-A) port hidden behind a sliding cover. The receiver's USB port can be used for plugging in a (MSC) Mass Storage Class USB device, such as a USB thumbdrive. The head unit can play MP3, WMA, AAC, and FLAC music files stored on compatible USB device. USB portable devices that can be charged via USB will be charged when plugged into the digital media receiver's USB port (5V/1A), and the vehicle's ignition switch is set to ACC or On.
Compatible Music Files: The Sony DSX-B700 supports the following types of MP3, WMA, AAC, and FLAC files downloaded onto a USB mass storage class device; see below for details.
|Media Type||USB Storage Device|
|File System||FAT 12/16/32|
|Playable File Types|| |
|Maximum # of Folders/Files||256 folders/256 files|
|Tags||MP3-ID3 tag (version 1.0/1.1/2.2/2.3/2.4), AAC tag, WMA tag, Flac tag|
Song/Artist Information: The digital media receiver can display the following MP3-ID3, WMA, AAC, and FLAC tag information; Track number, Elapsed Playing Time, Song Title, Artist Name, or Album Label.
Playback & Search Functions: The Sony digital media receiver offers a variety of unique playback & search functions.
- Quick-BrowZer: The unit's Quick-BrowZer feature allow you to search for a track on a connected USB Mass Storage Device easily by category (Genre, Artist, Album, or Playlist).
- Jump Mode: Jump Mode gets you closer to the song you want by allowing you to fast forward through a music folder in 10% increments.
- Repeat/Random: Repeat a single track or repeat an entire folder. Shuffle all tracks or a specific folder.
Front-Panel Auxiliary Input: A front-panel stereo 3.5mm minijack is provided to allow the connection of a portable audio source. Just connect your portable digital music player to this unit, and you can listen to the audio from the portable player through the speakers in your mobile audio system. The volume level of the auxiliary input is adjustable from -8 to +18 dB to compensate for any difference between the unit and your portable device.
Pandora Internet Radio: The Sony DSX-B700 lets you playback and control the online Pandora music service that is being streamed to your USB or Bluetooth connected Apple iPhone (iOS 11.0+), or Bluetooth connected Android smartphone (OS 4.0+). The DSX-B700 will also display Artist, Album, & Song information provided by the Pandora app. Your iPhone or Android smartphone will need an active Data Plan account with connection to the Internet via 3G, EDGE, LTE (4G), or WiFi. In addition, you will need an active Pandora music service account. The Sony DSX-B700 provides the following control over the Pandora music service streamed to your USB-connected iPhone or Bluetooth-enabled Android smartphone.
- Station List: You can select Pandora stations from your Station List by date or alphabetically (A-Z).
- Skip Songs: You can skip song tracks within a station. You cannot skip back to a previous song. Pandora limits the number of skips allowed.
- Thumbs Up/Down: You can give songs a thumbs up or thumbs down to help Pandora personalize stations to suit your preferences.
- Bookmarking: The song or artist currently being played can be bookmarked & stored in your Pandora account.
Note: Access to the Pandora service will depend on the availability of a cellular and/or WiFi network for purposes of allowing your iPhone or Android smartphone to connect to the Internet. Pandora is not supported in Canada and only available in the United States.
SiriusXM-Ready: The Sony DSX-B700 is SiriusXM-Ready and compatible with the SiriusXM Connect Vehicle Tuner (220SXV300 sold separately). The SiriusXM Connect Vehicle Tuner supports SiriusXM programming with access to 175+ SiriusXM channels via subscription; check out the most popular SiriusXM subscription packages here. Additional features of the SiriusXM Connect tuner include:
- Channel list displays a list of all available channels
- Category Search searches for channels in a certain category
- Displayed Information such as Channel Name, Artist Name, & Song Title can be viewed on the head unit's LCD
- Up to 18 SiriusXM Satellite Radio station presets
- Channels containing unsuitable content for children can be blocked
Note: A separate SiriusXM Satellite Radio subscription is required (operates on the XM Network). However, you can easily add this SiriusXM tuner to an existing Sirius or XM account for a Multi-Radio Discount Plan.
Digital Clarity Tuner w/ RDS: The Sony DSX-B700 digital media receiver is equipped with a Digital Clarity Tuner for clear AM/FM stereo sound with digital processing technology. The Radio Data System (RDS) feature displays radio broadcast information such as artist & track information when listening to compatible AM/FM stations. The radio features 5 memory bands to store and receive AM/FM stations. You can store up to 6 presets in each in band (FM 1-3/AM 1-2), for a total of 18 FM presets and 12 AM presets. Presets can be stored automatically using the Best Tuning Memory (BTM) feature.
High-Power Amplifier: The Sony DSX-B700 is equipped with a high power amplifier rated at 20 watts (RMS) x 4-channels and 55 watts (Peak) x 4-channels that delivers clear, natural-sounding audio.
- Continuous Power Output: 20 watts RMS x 4 channels (at 4 ohms, 20Hz-20kHz, 1% THD-N)
- Peak Power Output: 55 watts x 4-channels (220 total watts)
Note: The power specifications for the Sony DSX-B700 are compliant with the CTA-2006 Mobile Amplifier Power Testing and Measurement standards from the Consumer Technology Association (CTA). These standards were developed as a way to equitably compare power specs from model to model and between manufacturers.
6ch/2V Preouts + Sub Control: The Sony DSX-B700 is equipped with 2-volt Front, Rear, & Sub preouts giving you the ability to connect external amplifiers to your car stereo system. The unit's subwoofer preout is non-fading. You can adjust the subwoofer preout's volume level independently from the head unit's volume control from -6 to +6 in 1dB increments. In addition, you can select the phase of the subwoofer output from Normal or Reverse.
Note: You can connect a subwoofer to this head unit without the need of a separate power amplifier. Simply connect a single subwoofer (4-8 ohm) directly to head unit's left or right rear speaker leads (but not both). Approximate power output for the direct subwoofer connection is 60 watts RMS. Same subwoofer controls apply.
High-Pass & Low Pass Crossovers: The front & rear speaker outputs offer a selectable high-pass crossover frequency of 80Hz, 100Hz, 120Hz, or Off. The subwoofer preamp output features a low pass filter with a selectable cut-off frequency of 80Hz, 100Hz, 120Hz, or Off.
EQ10: Select from a variety of EQ presets like R&B, Rock, Pop, Hip-Hop, Electronic, Jazz, Soul, Country, Karaoke, Custom, or Off (Flat). The Custom mode allows you to make your own equalizer settings. You can adjust the level (+/-6dB) of 10 different frequency bands - Band 1 (32Hz), Band 2 (63Hz), Band 3 (125Hz), Band 4 (250Hz), Band 5 (500Hz), Band 6 (1khz), Band 7 (2khz), Band 8 (4kHz), Band 9 (8kHz), and Band 10 (16kHz).
ExtraBass: Activate ExtraBass at the touch of a button for an instant, low-end boost. Unlike conventional bass boosters, ExtraBass minimizes distortion at all volume levels by automatically adjusting frequency and gain to their optimal positions.
Beep Tone: The in-dash head unit provides an audible beep to confirm button operation. This function can be turned On or Off.
Music Center (SongPal) App: Download Sony's free Music Center (SongPal) app onto your Bluetooth-paired iPhone (iOS 11.0+) or Android (OS 5.0+) smartphone and take control of the Sony DSX-B700 head unit right from your mobile device. You'll enjoy control over basic head unit functions, as well as navigation and seamless access to all your sources, music, apps, and more from your smartphone. The Music Center (SongPal) app also integrates Apple iOS and Android apps into the selectable source list of the Sony DSX-B700 and lets you launch apps from the head unit. In addition the app can also be used to help customize sound and display settings of the Sony receiver.
- Receiver Sources: From the Music Center (SongPal) app on your smartphone device you can access and select the head unit's Tuner (AM/FM), CD, USB, Bluetooth, and Aux sources. You'll also be able to control basic playback functions such as Play/Pause and Previous/Next Track or Station. In addition, you'll be able to view song/artist information and station identification from the Music Center (SongPal) app on your mobile device.
- Add-On Applications: You can integrate music, movie, navigation, and other applications that are already on your smartphone device within the Music Center (SongPal) app for easier access. Once an app is selected within the Music Center (SongPal) app, your smartphone's screen will divert to selected app. Audio of that source will be played through the DSX-B700; any visual data will only be displayed by your iPhone or Android device. Basic playback functions such as Play/Pause and Next Track are available from the head unit; advanced control functions are still done from your smartphone device.
- Volume & Sound Adjustments: You can access the head unit's sound menu and make adjustments from the app on your iPhone or Android device. Sound adjustments included Volume Up/Down, Balance/Fader, EQ, ExtraBass, and Sub Level.
- Display Settings: Using the Music Center (SongPal) app on your iPhone or Android device you can make adjustments to the head unit's front-panel LCD and button illumination. Make changes to the preset color of the LCD and/or button illumination, as well as activate or deactivate Sound Synchronization.
- Voice Recognition (Android only): You can use voice commands to ask for directions from Google maps or to play a particular song/artist in your smartphone's music library. You can even assign a music application within the Music Center (SongPal) app as a voice tag, so you can access it by simply speaking the name of the application. While using voice commands there will still be times where you have to make a selection on your smartphone's touchscreen.
- Notification Readout (Android only): Exclusive to Android devices, incoming SMS/E-mail and Twitter/Facebook/Calendar notifications are automatically read aloud through the DSX-B700 and your vehicle's speakers to keep you safe and in touch. You can even reply to a text message via voice command and a list of preset replies.
IR Remote Control: The head unit comes supplied with an IR wireless remote control (RM-X231) for easy operation. The included wireless remote allows you to control the basic functions of the Sony head unit while keeping your eyes on the road.
Steering Wheel Remote Compatibility: The head unit features an OEM steering wheel remote control input on the rear of the unit that lets you keep your vehicle's factory radio steering wheel remote controls when used with an optional steering wheel audio control adapter (sold separately).
High-Contrast 3-Line LCD: The Sony DSX-B700 features a 3-line, high-contrast LCD that makes it easy to read, wherever you're sitting in the vehicle. You can adjust its brightness level from 1-10. You can also set its dimmer to Auto, Clock, On, or Off. The Auto mode dims the head unit's display automatically when you turn your vehicle's lights on (illumination wire must be connected). The Clock mode allows you to set a specific On and Off time for the dimmer.
Variable Color Button Illumination w/ Sound Sync: You can match the head unit's button illumination to complement your existing vehicle lighting components. You can select from 15 preset colors or a customized color (R-G-B). You can even set the head unit's LCD screen's illumination to pulse with your music. The head unit's button illumination can also be set to pulse with your music.
Auto Scroll: The Auto Scroll feature allows long displayed items to scroll automatically across the display when the track is changed on a disc or device.
Display Illumination/Clock Display: Pressing the SRC/OFF button once will switch sources. Pressing and holding the SRC/OFF button for one second will turn off audio output, but the clock display and button illumination remain on. To turn the unit off completely, you must press and hold the SRC/OFF button for two seconds.
Auto Off: When installing in a vehicle without an accessory power wire at the radio location, you can set the unit to turn off all lighting after 30 minutes of the power being turned off to the head unit.
Demo Mode: The head unit's demo mode can be turned On or Off.
The Sony DSX-B700 replaces these items
- built-in Bluetooth for audio streaming and hands-free calling (mic included)
- control PANDORA and Spotify from select smartphones
- compatible with SiriusXM satellite radio tuner (sold separately, subscription required)
- built-in Bluetooth for hands-free calls and music streaming
- Pioneer's Smart Sync app gives you access to navigation, voice control, and more
- works with SiriusXM satellite radio tuner
8 questions already asked