About the Sony DSX-M80
Rock the tide
Rock the tide
With Sony's DSX-M80 marine digital media receiver installed in your boat, you can add a soundtrack for every facet of your life on the water. This tough, water-resistant stereo can handle the sun, salt, and splashes of life outdoors, thanks to a specialized circuit board coating and UV-resistant front panel. Plus, Sony's built-in amp delivers 40 watts RMS per channel for powerful performance that carries across the water. Two USB inputs make device control and charging convenient.
The convenience of Bluetooth
With built-in Bluetooth, you can take calls and listen to music from just about anywhere on your vessel. Sony also lets you pair two phones via Bluetooth at once. And Sony's app lets you connect through Bluetooth to access a host of features like source selection and sound adjustment.
Tweak your sound
Customize the sound to suit your musical tastes using the built-in 10-band equalizer, selectable low- and high-pass crossovers, and other soundshaping tools. If you're planning on expanding your system in the future, you'll really appreciate the three sets of preamp outputs.
Keeping it simple
The DSX-M80's intuitive front panel with its high-contrast LCD display is easy to control, but when you're away from the receiver, you can use your smartphone or the included wireless remote. And with a paired iPhone® or Android phone, you can use the receiver to make the voice requests you're accustomed to.
Add satellite radio
This receiver also works with the SiriusXM tuner (not included), allowing you to enjoy satellite radio programming even when you're miles and miles offshore.
Bluetooth note: Use of this receiver's Bluetooth features will depend upon your phone's Bluetooth capabilities. Learn more in our article explaining Bluetooth profiles.
Important note: This marine radio is water-resistant, but we recommend mounting it in a water-resistant enclosure or using a cover for best performance.
- marine digital marine receiver with AM/FM tuner
- Bluetooth hands-free calling and audio streaming
- detachable face with dual-zone variable color illumination
- sound synchronized illumination
- built-in iPhone and Android control
- compatible with Music Center app for iPhone and Android
- Pandora control
- voice control with Siri and Android
- Digital Sound Enhancement Engine improves digital file sound quality
- EXTRA BASS adds low-end depth to your music
- EQ10 10-band equalizer
- Subwoofer Direct Connection combines the two rear channels to power a sub
- high- and low-pass filters
- plays MP3, WMA AAC, FLAC, and WAV files on USB
- compatible with SiriusXM satellite radio tuner
- inputs: front panel aux input, front and rear USB inputs
- outputs: 6-channel preamp outputs (5-volt front, rear, subwoofer)
- UV-resistant finish and anti-corrosive coating
- built-in amplifier (45 watts RMS CTA-2006/100 peak x 4 channels)
- backup memory saves settings when battery's disconnected
- wireless remote included
- chassis width: 7.165"
- chassis height: 2.085"
- nose width: 7.395"
- nose height: 2.285"
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # DSXM80
What's in the box:
- Marine digital media receiver (15A fuse)
- Sleeve (installed)
- Trim ring (installed)
- Wiring harness
- Wireless remote control (RM-X232)
- CR2025 Lithium battery (installed in remote)
- Microphone w/ bracket (attached 11' cord terminated by a right-angle mono 3.5mm connector)
- Two-sided tape
- Rubber cap (for Aux input)
- 2 Radio removal tools
- 4 Countersunk ISO-mount screws
- Face fixing screw
- Machine screw
- Self-tapping screw
- Operating Instructions
- Face fixing screw note
- "About the supplied cap (AUX)" note
- Warranty Information
More details on the Sony DSX-M80
Features & specs
|Backup Camera Input||No|
|Second Camera Input||No|
|Alexa Voice Control||N|
|Memory Card Slot||USB|
|Satellite Radio Ready||SiriusXM|
|RMS Power (CTA-2006)||45 watts|
|RMS Power (Manufacturer)||45 watts|
|Peak Output||100 watts|
|RMS Power Bandwidth||20-20kHz|
|Sub Preamp Outputs||Yes|
|Switchable Rear Preamp Outputs||No|
|Navigation App Compatible (iOS)|
|Navigation App Compatible (Android)|
|Preamp Voltage||5 volts|
|Key Button Color||Variable|
|Steering Wheel Control Compatible||Adapter required|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
|FM Sensitivity||8 dBf|
|Radio Data System||Yes|
|Music File Playback||MP3, WMA, AAC, FLAC, WAV|
Marine Rated: The Sony DSX-M80 marine-rated digital media receiver is ready for the marine environment with a UV resistant coating and coated circuit board. The Sony marine receiver is specifically designed to withstand the ASTM G154 test for UV resistance. This means the faceplate is treated to resist fading and discoloring after prolonged exposure to UV light. The marine receiver uses coated circuit boards which safeguards them from the humid marine environment.
- Backup Memory: The Marine digital media receiver's backup memory lets you save your customized settings, even when there is no continuous power supply. It can store audio settings, preset radio settings, Bluetooth connections, steering wheel remote customization, and more.
- Auto Off: When installing in a vehicle without an accessory power wire at the radio location, you can set the unit to turn off all lighting after 30 minutes of the power being turned off to the head unit.
Detachable Face w/ Caution Alarm: The Sony DSX-M80 features a detachable face for theft prevention. If you turn the ignition switch to the Off position without detaching the head unit's front-panel, the caution alarm will sound for a few seconds. The alarm will only sound if the unit's built-in amplifier is used. No face case is included with this unit. An optional soft face case (142DFC1X, sold separately) can be purchased for this unit. A face-fixing screw is supplied for making the face non-detachable, if desired.
Single-Line Display: The Sony digital media receiver features a single-line front-panel display. You can adjust its brightness level from 1-10. You can also set its dimmer to Auto, Clock, On, or Off. The Auto mode dims the head unit's display automatically when you turn your vehicle's lights on (illumination wire must be connected). The Clock mode allows you to set a fixed time for when the display's dimmer is turned on and off.
- Display Illumination/Clock Display: Pressing the SRC/OFF button once will switch sources. Pressing and holding the SRC/OFF button for one second will turn off audio output, but the clock display and button illumination remain on. To turn the unit off completely, you must press and hold the SRC/OFF button for two seconds..
- Auto Scroll: The Auto Scroll feature allows long displayed items to scroll automatically across the display when the track is changed on a connected USB device.
- Sound Synchronization: The color illumination changes according to synchronization of playing music and sound.
Dynamic Color Illuminator (35,000 colors): Dynamic Color Illuminator lets you match the head unit's LCD & button illumination to complement your existing vehicle lighting components. You can select from 15 preset colors or a customized color (R-G-B). You can choose to use the same color for the LCD screen and button illumination, or use a separate color for each one. You can even set the head unit's LCD screen's illumination to pulse with your music.
Demo Mode: The head unit's demo mode can be turned On or Off.
High Power Class-D Amplifier: A built-in class-D amp delivers huge power with minimal interference, for audio that's crystal clear even at its loudest. Circuitry and components are carefully laid out for low-noise, highly efficient electric power transmission. Placing the power block close to the input and amp minimizes power loss, while electrolytic capacitors ensure precise, responsive bass. An oversized heat sink with an optimally designed fin structure ensures efficient ventilation for your amp.
- Because of its high-powered amplifier design, the Sony DSX-M80 does require that a separate +12V constant power wire is run to the battery with a separate inline 15A fuse in vehicles with lower than a 15A fuse protecting the factory radio. Check out the "Accessories" tab for wiring kit.
- This Sony receiver's built-in high-powered amplifier isn't compatible with car audio systems where an outboard factory amplifier will remain active.
CTA2006 Compliant: The power specifications for the Sony DSX-M80 are compliant with the CTA2006 Mobile Amplifier Power Testing and Measurement standards from the Consumer Technology Association (CTA). These standards were developed as a way to equitably compare power specs from model to model and between manufacturers. The power output specs for the DSX-M80 are as follows:
- Continuous Power Output: 45 watts RMS x 4 channels (at 4 ohms, 20Hz-20kHz, 1% THD-N)
- Peak Power Output: 100 watts x 4-channels (400 total watts)
Subwoofer Direct Connect: With the Subwoofer Direct and 2-ohm Speaker Load option, you can hook up a mono subwoofer directly to the built-in class-D amplifier together with four speakers. Unlike conventional head units, the DSX-M80 has amplifier power to spare, making it capable of simultaneously driving a subwoofer and a full car speaker system, including front and rear speakers. The unique 2-ohm load selector delivers high power without risking amp or speaker damage. Channel 1 delivers power and signal to the front left and rear left speakers, while channel 2 delivers power and audio signal to the front right and rear right speakers. Channel 3 delivers power and audio signal to your mono subwoofer (channel 4 is not used).
6ch/5V Preamp Outputs + Sub Control: The Sony DSX-M80 is equipped with 5-volt Front, Rear, & Sub pre-amp outputs giving you the ability to connect external amplifiers to your car stereo system. The unit's subwoofer preamp output is non-fading. You can adjust the subwoofer preamp output's volume level independently from the head unit's main volume control from -10 to +10 in 1dB increments. In addition, you can select the phase of the subwoofer output from Normal or Reverse.
High-Pass & Low-Pass Crossovers: The front & rear speaker outputs offer a selectable high-pass crossover frequency of 50Hz, 60Hz, 80Hz, 100Hz, 120Hz, or Off. You can also adjust the slope (1/2/3) of the high-pass crossover. The subwoofer preamp output features a low pass filter with a selectable cut-off frequency of 50Hz, 60Hz, 80Hz, 100Hz, 120Hz, or Off. You can also adjust the slope (1/2/3) of the low-pass crossover.
EQ10: Select from a variety of EQ presets like R&B, Rock, Pop, Dance, Hip-Hop, Electronic, Jazz, Soul, Country, Custom, or Off (Flat). The Custom mode allows you to make your own equalizer settings. You can adjust the level (+/-6dB) of 10 different frequency bands - Band 1 (32Hz), Band 2 (63Hz), Band 3 (125Hz), Band 4 (250Hz), Band 5 (500Hz), Band 6 (1khz), Band 7 (2khz), Band 8 (4kHz), Band 9 (8kHz), and Band 10 (16kHz).
Digital Time Alignment (DTA): This unit can change the localization of sound by delaying the sound output from each speaker to suit your position, and simulate a natural sound field with the feeling of being in the center of it wherever you sit in the car. You can choose from Front Right, Front Left, Front Center, or Off. You can also set the subwoofer distance of the subwoofer to Near, Normal, or Far. You can also further fine tune the listening position from -3 to +3.
DSO & DSEE: Sound waves are directional, so if your speakers are in your doors or under your dash, the audio may seem muddy or unclear. Dynamic Stage Organizer (DSO) adjusts the signal, improving the stereo positioning so music sounds like it’s coming from the dashboard. Digital Sound Enhancement Engine (DSEE) improves digitally compressed music files by restoring high frequencies lost in the compression process.
ExtraBass + RBE: Activate ExtraBass at the touch of a button for an instant, low-end boost. Unlike conventional bass boosters, ExtraBass minimizes distortion at all volume levels by automatically adjusting frequency and gain to their optimal positions. You can select between two settings for different intensities of bass boost. RBE (Rear Bass Enhancer) enhances the bass sound by applying the low-pass filter setting to the rear speakers. This function allows the rear speakers to work as a subwoofer even if there is no subwoofer connected.
ClearAudio+ & Loudness: ClearAudio+ reproduces sound by optimizing the digital signal with the Sony recommended sound settings. It automatically adjusts the head unit's EQ, ExtraBass, and DSO. Loudness reinforces bass and treble for clear sound at low volume levels.
Advanced Auto Volume (AAV) + Max Volume: This feature adjusts the playback volume level of all playback sources to the optimum level. The maximum volume level of the digital media receiver can be set between 30 and 50.
Beep Tone: The in-dash head unit provides an audible beep to confirm button operation. This function can be turned On or Off.
Bluetooth 3.0: The Sony DSX-M80 is equipped with built-in Bluetooth 3.0, allowing you to make and receive phone calls wirelessly through the receiver; as well as stream music wirelessly from your smartphone to the head unit. In order to use Bluetooth wireless technology, your phone must also be Bluetooth compatible and be able to interpret certain profiles. This unit is compatible with the following Bluetooth Profiles:
- Hands-Free Communication: HFP 1.6 (Hands Free Profile), PBAB 1.0 (Phone Book Access Profile).
- Audio Streaming: A2DP 1.3 (Advanced Audio Distribution Profile), AVRCP 1.5 (Audio/Video Remote Control Profile).
Note: Due to the differences in Bluetooth technology, some Bluetooth enabled devices may be incompatible, function improperly, or may not support all features when used with the Sony DSX-M80.
Multi-Device Pairing w/ Dual-Phone Connection: Up to nine Bluetooth-compatible devices can be paired to this receiver. You are even able to keep two Bluetooth-enabled phones connected at the same time, so you can make and receive calls from either phone through the head unit. Only one audio device can be connected at a time, which means only one of the two connected phones can stream audio. Once an already paired device is in close proximity to the Sony receiver, the two units will automatically re-connect. The head unit offers two pairing modes - SSP and USB Auto.
- Simple Secure Pairing: With Simple Secure Pairing (SSP), you can easily pair a Bluetooth enabled phone to the Sony DSX-M80 without having to enter pin codes or go through complicated settings.
- USB Auto (for iPhone): You can pair your Apple iPhone (iOS 5.0+) by simply connecting it to the Sony head unit via USB and activating the Bluetooth function on your Apple device.
Hands-Free Communication w/ External Mic: The Sony DSX-M80 supports Bluetooth hands-free communication for your Bluetooth enabled cell-phone (such as your iPhone or Android smartphone). Bluetooth hands-free communication helps to minimize distraction while driving by allowing you to control your mobile phone from the head unit, so you don't have to touch your mobile phone. The unit features an external microphone (featuring adjustable gain), so you can carry on your side of the conversation while listening to the caller through your vehicles speakers. And thanks to the latest Hands-Free Profile (HFP 1.6) with wideband speech capability, the DSX-M80 provides more natural sound quality and details during wireless calls.
- Answering Calls: Incoming calls can be answered manually or automatically (between 3-10 seconds) through the Sony head unit, while the ring tone is output from your car speakers and the caller's name or phone number is displayed on the head unit's LCD. Incoming calls can also be rejected if desired.
- Dialing a Number: Using the DSX-M80, you can dial a
phone number in one of the following ways.
- Entering Phone #: Allows you to manually dial a phone number using the unit's control dial.
- Preset Dial: You can store up to 6 contacts in the preset dial for quick dialing.
- Phone Book: You can store up to 1,000 contacts in the unit's phone book. Up to a 40 character name can be input for each contact.
- Call History: The unit will store the last 20 calls, allowing you to select a previous phone number quickly from the list.
- Voice Dial: You can make a call using the voice tags stored on your connected cellular phone.
- Redial: Use to easily redial the last number you called.
Note: During a conversation, you can switch between the Private Mode (talking directly on your cell phone) and the Hands Free Mode.
Wireless Audio Streaming: The Sony DSX-M80 supports wireless audio playback (AD2P) and control (AVRCP) of a Bluetooth-enabled smartphone or audio player, plus song/artist information display. You are able to stream your stored music library on your Bluetooth-enabled smartphone, as well as music apps downloaded on your smartphone to the Sony DSX-M80 for playback.
- SBC + AAC Codecs: In addition to support for the standard SBC Bluetooth audio codec, the DSX-M80 offers support of AAC. By supporting AAC, the DSX-M80 offers better audio performance of the music streamed from your Apple iPod, iPhone, or iPad.
- Music Browsing: In addition to basic playback functions (Play/Pause, FF/RW, Skip, Random/Repeat) for both stored music and music apps, the DSX-M80 provides a Search List of your stored music by Category or Playlist (AVRCP 1.4 phones only; which includes Android 4.0+ and iPhone 5.0+).
- Song/Artist Information: The head unit will also display your stored music and music app's song information; such as Artist name and Song/Album title (not compatible with all apps).
Note: When an incoming call or outgoing call is in progress from your Bluetooth enabled mobile phone, audio streaming will be paused so you can take your call. Once the call is finished, your streaming music will resume.
Siri Eyes Free Control (for iPhone): When paired and connected to an iPhone with Siri via Bluetooth, the Sony DSX-M80 has the ability to access Siri through its front-panel controls and external microphone. Simply activate the "voice dial" function on the DSX-M80 to engage Siri and use the included microphone to communicate with Siri. Siri's voice will be heard through your vehicle's speakers. All Siri functions including hands-free calling, music search, setting reminders, text-messaging, audible navigation, and more can be done through the head unit and its microphone. You can even ask Siri to get directions to a destination and the turn-by-turn instructions will be heard through your vehicle's speakers, while the on-screen map still displays on your iPhone with Siri. The head unit's audio is attenuated while Siri provides audible directions.
Note: The head unit will only display hands-free calling and Bluetooth audio information (all other functions of Siri are only audible through the DSX-M80; visual data will still need to be viewed from your iPhone).
Android Direct Connect via USB: The Sony DSX-M80 enables playback of stored music and music apps on select Android devices through its front- or rear-panel USB port. There are two types of modes (AOA 2.0 or MTP) to choose from based on your Android smartphone's operating system, what content you want to listen to, and what features you need.
- AOA 2.0 (Android Open Accessory): The Sony DSX-M80 supports Android Open Accessory 2.0 (AOA 2.0), which lets you connect your Android smartphone (OS 4.1-7.1.2) to the DSX-M80's USB port and listen to stored music and music apps from your Android device through the Sony receiver. You'll be able to control basic playback functions such as Play/Pause and Previous/Next Track (there is not song/artist/album info display). You'll also still be able to access other functions and applications from your Android smartphone's touchscreen, while listening to music through the head unit. If you make a call or answer a call from your smartphone while listening to music in this mode, the music will pause until you are finished with the call and then start back up again.
- MTP (Media Transfer Protocol): The DSX-M80 also supports MTP for playback & control of stored MP3/WMA music files on your Android (OS 4.0+) device through the Sony receiver's USB port. In this mode, you get basic playback control (like Play/Pause & Previous/Next Track), plus song/artist information on the receiver's LCD screen. During MTP connection, you cannot use your Android smartphone's touchscreen to control music playback and you cannot select music apps from your smartphone for playback. However, you can continue to listen to stored music on your Android smartphone through the head unit while you check your Calendar, Facebook, Texts, etc on your phone.
Note: Not all Android devices are compatible with AOA 2.0 or MTP, regardless of operating system.
iPod/iPhone Direct Connect via USB: The Sony DSX-M80 supports direct connection of select Lightning or 30-pin Apple iPod/iPhone devices through its front or rear panel USB port. The DSX-M80 offers playback of your music library or music apps, music navigation and control, song/artist/album display, and charging of select Apple devices. Simply connect your compatible iPod/iPhone using the cable that came with your Apple device, or purchase another Lightning-to-USB or dock-to-USB cable (sold separately) to be used in the car.
- Control: The unit offers basic playback controls - such as Play/Pause, Fast Forward/Rewind, Previous/Next Track, and Repeat/Random. Your iPod/iPhone will remain unlocked during connection, so you can continue to control your Apple device from its touchscreen for advanced music browsing and to access additional music apps.
- Display: The digital media receiver will display your iPod/iPhone's stored music file information; including Track number, Elapsed playing time, Song Title, & Artist/Album Name. The DSX-M80 will also display song/artist information and station identification from select music apps.
Note: Access to your iPhone's downloaded applications will depend on the availability of a cellular and/or WiFi network for purposes of allowing your iPhone to connect to the Internet.
Smartphone Charging: The head unit's USB connections provide 1.0A (front) and 1.5A (rear) of current to power and charge your connected Apple iPod/iPhone or Android smartphone when your vehicle's ignition switch is set to the 'ACC' or 'On' position (if your device has no initial battery charge, then the unit will not recognize it).
iPod/iPhone Compatibility Chart: The Sony DSX-M80 is "Made for iPod/iPhone" compatible and supports the following iPod/iPhone model features (as of 4/15/2020):
|Apple Device||Generation||Tested Version||Media Type||Control Type||Specific Apps||Display Type||Bluetooth||Charge|
|Audio||Video||Head Unit||iPod/iPhone||Music Center||Pandora||Artist/Song Text||Track Info||Phone||Audio||Siri|
Note: Apple iPod/iPhone software updates may change functionality results. If you download a newer software version, you may need to reset the head unit and your iPod/iPhone to regain functionality. If this doesn't work, you may need to wait until a newer software update is available.
Pandora Internet Radio: The Sony DSX-M80 lets you playback and control the online Pandora music service that is being streamed to your USB or Bluetooth connected Apple iPhone (iOS 11.0+), or Bluetooth connected Android smartphone (OS 4.0+). The DSX-M80 will also display Artist, Album, & Song information provided by the Pandora app. Your iPhone or Android smartphone will need an active Data Plan account with connection to the Internet via 3G, EDGE, LTE (4G), or WiFi. In addition, you will need an active Pandora music service account. The Sony DSX-M80 provides the following control over the Pandora music service streamed to your USB-connected iPhone or Bluetooth-enabled Android smartphone.
- Station List: You can select Pandora stations from your Station List by date or alphabetically (A-Z).
- Skip Songs: You can skip song tracks within a station. You cannot skip back to a previous song. Pandora limits the number of skips allowed.
- Thumbs Up/Down: You can give songs a thumbs up or thumbs down to help Pandora personalize stations to suit your preferences.
- Bookmarking: The song or artist currently being played can be bookmarked & stored in your Pandora account.
Note: Access to the Pandora service will depend on the availability of a cellular and/or WiFi network for purposes of allowing your iPhone or Android smartphone to connect to the Internet. Pandora is not supported in Canada and only available in the United States.
SiriusXM-Ready: The Sony DSX-M80 is SiriusXM-Ready and compatible with the SiriusXM Connect Vehicle Tuner (220SXV300 sold separately). The SiriusXM Connect Vehicle Tuner supports SiriusXM programming with access to 175+ SiriusXM channels via subscription; check out the most popular SiriusXM subscription packages here. Additional features of the SiriusXM Connect tuner include:
- Channel list displays a list of all available channels
- Category Search searches for channels in a certain category
- Displayed Information such as Channel Name, Artist Name, & Song Title can be viewed on the head unit's LCD
- Up to 18 SiriusXM Satellite Radio station presets
- Channels containing unsuitable content for children can be blocked
Note: A separate SiriusXM Satellite Radio subscription is required (operates on the XM Network). However, you can easily add this SiriusXM tuner to an existing Sirius or XM account for a Multi-Radio Discount Plan.
Digital Clarity Tuner w/ RDS: The Sony DSX-M80 digital media receiver is equipped with a Digital Clarity Tuner for clear AM/FM stereo sound with digital processing technology. The Radio Data System (RDS) feature displays radio broadcast information such as artist & track information when listening to compatible AM/FM stations. The radio features 5 memory bands to store and receive AM/FM stations. You can store up to 6 presets in each in band (FM 1-3/AM 1-2), for a total of 18 FM presets and 12 AM presets. Presets can be stored automatically using the Best Tuning Memory (BTM) feature.
USB MSC (Mass Storage Class) Playback: The head unit features a front-panel USB (type-A) port hidden behind a sliding cover and a rear-panel USB (type-A) port attached to the rear-chassis via a 58" cable. The receiver's USB ports can be used for plugging in (MSC) Mass Storage Class USB devices, such as a USB thumbdrive or portable digital audio player. The head unit can play MP3, WMA, AAC, WAV, and FLAC music files stored on compatible USB device. USB portable devices that can be charged via USB will be charged when plugged into the digital media receiver's front-panel (1A) or rear-panel (1.5A) USB port, and the vehicle's ignition switch is set to ACC or On.
Music File Playback: The Sony DSX-M80 supports the a variety of music files loaded onto a USB mass storage class device; see below for details.
|Media Type||USB MSC Device|
|File System||FAT 16/32|
|Playable File Types||MP3: bit rate of
8-320kbps with sampling frequency of 16-48kHz |
WMA: bit rate of 32-192kbps with sampling frequency of 32, 44.1, or 48 kHz
AAC: bit rate of 8-320kbps with sampling frequency of 11.025-48kHz
WAV: bit depth of 16-bit with sampling frequency of 44.1 or 48kHz
FLAC: bit depth of 16 or 24-bit with sampling frequency of 44.1 or 48kHz
|Maximum # of Folders/Files||10,000 total tracks|
|Tags||ID3 (version 1.0/1.1/2.2/2.3/2.4), WMA, AAC, && FLAC tags|
Song/Artist Information: The digital media receiver can display the following ID3, WMA, AAC, and FLAC tag information; Track number, Elapsed Playing Time, Song Title, Artist Name, or Album Label.
Playback & Search Functions: The Sony digital media receiver offers a variety of unique playback & search functions.
- Quick-BrowZer: The unit's Quick-BrowZer feature allow you to search for a track on a connected USB Mass Storage Device easily by category (Genre, Artist, Album, or Playlist).
- Jump Mode: Jump Mode gets you closer to the song you want by allowing you to fast forward through a music folder in 10% increments.
- Repeat/Random: Repeat a single track or repeat an entire folder. Shuffle all tracks or a specific folder.
Front-Panel Auxiliary Input: A front panel stereo 3.5mm mini-jack is provided to allow the connection of a portable audio source. Just connect your portable digital music player to this unit, and you can listen to the audio from the portable player through the speakers in your mobile audio system. The volume level of the auxiliary input is adjustable from -8 to +18 dB to compensate for any difference between the unit and your portable device. The aux input can be deactivated in the menu, so it does not appear as an available source.
Music Center App: Download Sony's free Music Center app (for Apple iOS 11.0+ and Android OS 5.0+) onto your Bluetooth connected Apple iPhone or Android smartphone and take control of the Sony DSX-M80 head unit right from your mobile device. You'll enjoy control over basic head unit functions, as well as navigation and seamless access to all your sources, music, apps, and more from your smartphone. The Music Center app also integrates Apple iOS and Android apps into the selectable source list of the Sony DSX-M80 and lets you launch apps from the head unit. In addition the app can also be used to help customize sound and display settings of the Sony receiver.
- Receiver Sources: From the Music Center app on your smartphone device you can access and select the head unit's Tuner (AM/FM), CD, USB, Bluetooth, and Aux sources. You'll also be able to control basic playback functions such as Play/Pause and Previous/Next Track or Station. In addition, you'll be able to view song/artist information and station identification from the Music Center app on your mobile device.
- Add-On Applications: You can integrate music, movie, navigation, and other applications that are already on your smartphone device within the Music Center app for easier access. Once an app is selected within the Music Center app, your smartphone's screen will divert to selected app. Audio of that source will be played through the DSX-M80; any visual data will only be displayed by your iPhone or Android device. Basic playback functions such as Play/Pause and Next Track are available from the head unit; advanced control functions are still done from your smartphone device.
- Volume & Sound Adjustments: You can access the head unit's sound menu and make adjustments from the app on your iPhone or Android device. Sound adjustments included Volume Up/Down, Balance/Fader, EQ, ExtraBass, and Sub Level.
- Display Settings: Using the Music Center app on your iPhone or Android device you can make adjustments to the head unit's front-panel LCD and button illumination. Make changes to the preset color of the LCD and/or button illumination, as well as activate or deactivate Sound Synchronization.
- Voice Recognition (Android only): You can use voice commands to ask for directions from Google maps or to play a particular song/artist in your smartphone's music library. You can even assign a music application within the Music Center app as a voice tag, so you can access it by simply speaking the name of the application. While using voice commands there will still be times where you have to make a selection on your smartphone's touchscreen.
- Notification Readout (Android only): Exclusive to Android devices, incoming SMS/E-mail and Twitter/Facebook/Calendar notifications are automatically read aloud through the DSX-M80 and your vehicle's speakers to keep you safe and in touch. You can even reply to a text message via voice command and a list of preset replies.
Wireless Remote Control: The head unit comes supplied with an IR wireless remote control (RM-X232) for easy operation. The included wireless remote allows you to control the basic functions (not Bluetooth) of the Sony head unit while keeping your eyes on the road.
Steering Wheel Remote Compatibility: The head unit features an OEM steering wheel remote control input on the rear of the unit that lets you keep your vehicle's factory radio steering wheel remote controls when used with an optional steering wheel audio control adapter (sold separately).
The Sony DSX-M80 replaces these items
- built-in Class-D amplifier (40 watts RMS CEA-2006/100 peak x 4 channels)
- Bluetooth hands-free calling and audio streaming
- compatible with SiriusXM satellite radio tuner
10 questions already asked