About the Sony XM-GS6DSP
Versatile all-system amplifier
Versatile all-system amplifier
Bored with the way your music sounds in your car? Sony's XM-GS6DSP 6-channel amplifier can make your audio system sound great, sending 45 watts RMS to each of the front and rear speakers, while delivering up to 600 watts RMS to a sub. This amp can also use its onboard crossover and bandpass filters to power an active 3-way system, driving a pair of tweeters with 45 watts each, two midrange drivers with 45 watts each, plus a couple of low-frequency woofers with 90 watts each. Sony's Class D amp technology ensures high power output from a small chassis that can fit almost anywhere in your vehicle, while built-in signal processing allows you to fine-tune the sound to fit in as well.
Custom tuning via app
Using Sony's Music Center app on your Bluetooth® device, you can adjust your system's time alignment, 10-band EQ, balance, speaker levels, and fader until it sounds perfect. Bluetooth streaming allows you to play music directly to the amp, which is great news if your receiver doesn't have that feature.
Connections and controls
You'll find all the connections on one side of the amp, which makes wiring simpler and neater. The tuning controls sit recessed under the tough aluminum cover so they won't get inadvertently moved. The separate controls for the front, rear, and subwoofer channels are laid out neatly on the control panel — easy to see, intuitive to use. A variable bass boost lets you add some low-end punch to the sound when you want it. Speaker-level inputs allows this amp to work in most systems.
Sony's XM-GS6DSP high-tech guts
- 6-channel car amplifier with digital signal processing
- tweeter/front and mid/rear channels:
- 45 watts RMS x 4 at 4 ohms
- woofer/subwoofer channel:
- 90 watts RMS x 2 at 4 ohms (175 watts RMS x 2 at 2 ohms)
- 350 watts RMS x 1 bridged at 4 ohms (600 watts RMS x 1 bridged at 2 ohms)
- CTA-2006 compliant
- Class D amp technology
12 dB/Octave Crossovers:
- tweeter/front: variable high-pass filter (500-4000 Hz)
- mid/rear: variable low-pass filter (50-500 Hz), bandpass adds variable low-pass filter (500-4000 Hz)
- woofer/subwoofer: variable low-pass filter (50-500 Hz), variable bass boost (0-10 dB)
- digital signal processing control via Sony Music Center app on your Bluetooth device
- controls include 10-band EQ, time alignment, speaker level, fade
- Bluetooth streaming from your compatible device
- preamp and speaker-level inputs
- fuse rating: 30A x 2
- wiring and hardware not included with amplifier
- 8-gauge power and ground leads recommended
- dimensions: 11-5/8"W x 2-3/16"H x 7-7/8"D
- warranty: 3 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # XMGS6DSP
What's in the box:
- 6-Channel amplifier with two 30A ATO fuses installed
- 8" Line input harness
- 7" High level input harness
- 5" Tweeter/Front/Mid/Rear output harness
- Terminal cap
- Self-tapping screws (length 3/4")
- Operating Instructions
- Warranty (US + Canada)
More details on the Sony XM-GS6DSP
Features & specs
|RMS Power Output (Watts x Channels)||
45 x 4 |
90 x 2
|Peak Power Output (Watts x Channels)||100 x 4|
|Power at 2 Ohms (Watts x Channels)||175 x 2|
|Bridged Power (Watts x Channels)||600 x 1|
|Minimum Impedance Bridged||2|
|Minimum Impedance Unbridged||4|
|Best Frequency Response||20-20k Hz|
|THD at Rated RMS Power||1%|
|Signal to Noise Ratio||83 dB|
|Low-Pass Crossover Frequency||500-4000 Hz|
|Low-Pass Slope (dB/octave)||12 dB/octave|
|High-Pass Crossover Frequency||500-4000 Hz|
|High-Pass Slope (dB/octave)||12 dB/octave|
|Bass Boost||0-10 dB|
|Bass Boost Frequency||40 Hz|
|Speaker Level Inputs||Harness|
|Parts Warranty||3 Years|
|Labor Warranty||3 Years|
Overview: The Sony XM-GS6DSP is a 6-channel amplifier with a built-in DSP to enhance your car sound system. The amp's built-in Bluetooth lets you play music from your phone, plus make adjustments to your sound system via the free Sony Music Center app. The amplifier is equipped with premium internal components, including high-quality electrolytic capacitors, for the best possible sound. The sturdy aluminum shell features integrated heat sinks to dissipate unwanted heat, and prevents vibration for longevity and durability.
CTA-2006 Compliant: CTA-2006 is a system of testing and measurement methods for mobile audio amplifiers. This voluntary standard advocates a uniform method for measuring an amplifier's RMS power output and signal-to-noise ratio. The criteria for measuring power uses a DC input voltage of 14.4 volts and the RMS power output is measured into a 4-ohm load, with 1% or less Total Harmonic Distortion plus noise (THD+N), and over a frequency range of 20 Hz to 20 kHz, when applicable. Signal-to-Noise ratio is measured in weighted absolute decibels (dBA) at a reference of 1 watt into 4 ohms. CTA-2006 allows consumers to compare car amplifiers and receivers on an equal basis. Using CTA-2006 criteria, the Sony XM-GS6DSP is rated at 45 watts RMS x 4, and 90watts RMS x 2 for the subwoofer channel, with an 83 dBA signal-to-noise ratio for the front/rear, and 80 dBA for the subwoofer channels.
Other Power Ratings:
- 175 watts x 2 (sub channels) at 2Ω (14.4V supply voltage, 1kHz, 1% THD)
- 350 watts x 1 (sub channels) at 4Ω bridged
- 600 watts x 1 (sub channels) at 2Ω bridged
Bluetooth: Built-in Bluetooth lets you connect your smartphone directly to the amplifier. Not only can you play your favorite tracks or stream audio from your device, you can also customize the sound of your system through the Sony Music Center app. The app features speaker setup, a 10-band EQ, balance/fader control, subwoofer level, and time alignment to optimize the sound for every seat. Sony Music Center is available for iOS (10.0 or later) and Android (4.4 and up) devices.
Protection Circuitry: The amp has three protection circuits:
- Thermal: turns the amp off when the operating temperature is too high
- Short Circuit: turns the amp off when the speaker outputs are short-circuited
- DC Offset: turns the amp off when it generates direct current
Amplifier Configurations: The XM-GS6DSP can be configured in multiple ways to drive a variety of speaker systems:
- Front 3-way Components + Subwoofer: Channels 1 & 2 power the tweeters and midranges; Channels 3 & 4 are for the woofers; Channels 5 & 6 are bridged for a subwoofer.
- Front 2-way Components + Subwoofer: Channels 1 & 2 power the tweeters; Channels 3 & 4 are for the woofers; Channels 5 & 6 are bridged for a subwoofer.
- Front and Rear Coaxial Speakers + Subwoofer: Channels 1 & 2 power the front speakers; Channels 3 & 4 are for the rear speakers; Channels 5 & 6 are bridged for a subwoofer.
- Front 3-way Component Speakers: Channels 1 & 2 power the tweeters; Channels 3 & 4 are for the midranges; Channels 5 & 6 run in stereo for the woofers.
Controls: The amplifier's controls are located on one side of the amplifier. There are independent controls for the tweeter/front, mid/rear, and woofer/subwoofer channels. The rotary controls can be set with a small slotted screwdriver (not included). The amp's controls include:
- Level: The rotary Input Level controls matches the amp's input to the output of the source unit. The amp will accept a Line Level input between 0.3V and 6V, or a High Level (speaker level) input between 3V and 12V.
- Crossover: The crossovers are configured as follows:
- Tweeter/Front: The front channels have a switchable high pass filter (On/Off) with a variable cutoff frequency (500Hz to 4kHz).
- Mid/Rear: The rear channels have a switchable crossover (High Pass/Low Pass/Off) with a variable cutoff frequency (500Hz to 4kHz low pass, or 50 to 500Hz high pass).
- Woofer/Subwoofer: The subwoofer channels have a switchable low pass filter (On/Off) with a variable cutoff frequency (50Hz to 500Hz).
- Low Boost (Subwoofer Channel): The subwoofer channel's Low Boost circuitry increases the bass response around 40Hz from 0dB and +10dB.
Connections: The XM-GS6DSP features gold-plated connectors that are all aligned on one side of the amplifier for ease of installation. The power and woofer/subwoofer output connections are screw terminals that can be tightened/loosened with a slotted or Phillips head screwdriver (not included). The amp includes the following connections:
- Input Harnesses: The amp comes with 12-pin Molex plug-in harnesses for the line input and high-level input. The line input harness has 6 female RCAs, while the high-level input harness terminates to bare wire.
- Power/Ground Terminals: The power and ground screw terminals are 0.55" wide, and will accept bare wire or spade connectors. An 8-gauge amplifier wiring kit should be used to connect the amp, with a 60A fuse on the power wire within 18" of the battery.
- Remote Terminal: The remote turn on connection is a 0.35" wide screw terminal. A small gauge wire (18 AWG) can be used for this connection.
- Tweeter/Front + Mid/Rear Speaker Outputs: These speaker outputs have an 8-pin Molex plug-in output for the included output harness. The front/rear outputs will accept speakers with impedances of 4Ω to 8Ω.
- Woofer/Subwoofer Outputs: There are two pairs of screw terminals for connecting the woofers or subwoofers. Each terminal is 0.35" wide, and will accept bare wire and spade connectors. When bridging the outputs, the Left + and Right - terminals are used. The woofer/subwoofer outputs will accept speakers with impedances of 2Ω to 8Ω.
4 questions already asked