About the Sony STR-DH770
A great foundation for your home theater
A great foundation for your home theater
The Sony STR-DH770 has a lot to offer the budget-conscious, value-driven customer. Got a 4K TV? This 7.2-channel receiver is ready for the latest Ultra HD content, including 4K Blu-ray discs encoded with HDR (High Dynamic Range) information. Built-in Bluetooth gives you tons of music options for streaming from a compatible device. NFC touch pairing lets you tap a compatible phone or tablet to the receiver for an instant wireless connection. Setup and control are easy with the receiver's intuitive on-screen guide, and Digital Cinema Auto Calibration ensures optimal sound. The included setup microphone measures your room's acoustics and tailors the sound to your speakers and space.
Flexible speaker configuration options for the sound you want
The STR-DH770 gives you several different options for setting up your speakers. Even if you're starting with a pair of stereo speakers, you can still enjoy immersive surround sound effects thanks to Sony's front surround sound technology. With seven speakers, you can choose whether you want to use the sixth and seventh channels for Surround Back or Front High speakers. Alternatively, you can use those channels to power a second set of "B" speakers in another room. If you're happy with a five-speaker setup, you can bi-amp compatible front speakers for fuller, more detailed sound.
Power and Processing:
- 7-channel amplifier
- 90 watts per channel into 6 ohms (20-20,000 Hz) at 0.09% THD, with 2 channels driven
- Dolby® and DTS® surround sound decoding
- front surround sound technology lets you enjoy surround sound effects using only two front speakers
- Digital Cinema Auto Calibration for easy, accurate speaker setup
- built-in Bluetooth for wireless music streaming from a compatible smartphone, tablet, or computer
- NFC-compatible for one-touch pairing with compatible devices
- HDMI 2.0a audio/video switching: 4 in, 1 out
- HDCP 2.2 technology ensures compatibility with 4K Ultra HD sources and TVs (all HDMI inputs and monitor out)
- HDR-compatible for extended picture contrast and brightness with compatible 4K TVs and HDR-encoded content
- supports HDR10
- front-panel USB port for audio playback from a USB memory device
- composite video switching: 2 in, 1 out
- digital audio inputs: 1 optical and 1 coaxial
- 4 analog stereo audio inputs
- no phono input to connect a turntable you'll need to add a phono preamp
- preamp outputs for 2 powered subwoofers
- outputs for seven speakers (Front L/R, Center, Surround L/R, Surround Back L/R)
- Surround Back channel outputs can also be used as Front High or Front B speakers, or to bi-amp compatible Front speakers
- 1/4" headphone jack
- 3D and 4K HDMI pass-through
- HDMI standby pass-through allows access to all HDMI connected devices without having to power on the receiver
- BRAVIA Sync for one-remote operation with compatible Sony components
- convenient on-screen display (via HDMI only)
- 30 FM presets (no AM tuner)
- remote control
- 16-15/16"W x 6-1/8"H x 13-5/8"D
- weight: 17.2 lbs.
- warranty: 2 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # 12091372
What's in the box:
- 7.2ch AV receiver
- Wireless remote control (RMT-AA231U)
- 2 "AAA" batteries
- Automatic calibration microphone (ECM-AC2)
- FM wire antenna
- Operating Instructions
- Startup Guide
- "Before Connecting Speakers" note
- "How To Set Up The SongPal App" instructions
- US Warranty Information Cananda Warranty Information
- Online Product Registration
More details on the Sony STR-DH770
Features & specs
Assignable 7-Channel Amplifier: The Sony STR-DH770 AV receiver is equipped with a 7-channel amplifier rated at 90 watts (into 6-ohms, at 20-20kHz, with 0.09% THD, driving 2 channels). The AV receiver's Surround Back/Front Height amplifier channels can be configured to accommodate your type of home theater setup.
- Surround Back: Allows you to enjoy high-fidelity reproduction of Dolby Digital TrueHD, Dolby Digital Plus, and DTS-HD (High-Resolution Audio or Master Audio) with 7.1 channel surround, using the Surround Back speaker channels.
- Front Height: You can enjoy vertical sound effects if you connect two additional Front-Height speakers; no Surround Back speakers in this configuration.
- B-Speakers: If you are only connecting a 5.1ch speaker system, you can use the Surround Back/Front Height amp channels as a Speaker B output, allowing you to place a pair of speakers in another room of the house. Speaker B can be played at the same time of Speaker A, or by itself. Speaker B uses the same volume control and source input as Speaker A.
- Front Bi-Amp: If you are not using the Surround Back/Front Height at all, you can connect them to your front speakers using a bi-amplifier connection (if applicable). This provides even better sound quality from your front speakers. Your home theater setup will be limited to 5.1ch.
Digital Cinema Auto Calibration (DCAC): The Sony STR-DH770 is equipped with Digital Cinema Auto Calibration Technology which uses the included microphone to automatically check the speaker connections, adjust the speaker output levels, calculate the distance from each speaker to the listening position, and distinguish frequency characteristics of each speaker. The microphone has an 15' cord attached that plugs into the microphone input on front of the receiver. You can also choose to manually adjust the AV receiver's speaker settings.
Digital Signal Processing (DSP) & Supported Digital Audio Formats: The STR-DH770 incorporates a powerful DSP that supports the latest surround sound formats and ensures the highest accuracy in the decoding of a variety of Dolby Digital, DTS, DSD & PCM audio formats. The digital audio formats that this receiver can decode depend on the digital audio output jacks of the connected device. This receiver supports the following audio formats
|Digital Audio Connector||Audio Signal Type||Audio Signal Format|
|HDMI||2Ch Linear PCM||2ch, 32-192kHz, 16/20/24-bit|
|Multichannel Linear PCM||8ch, 32-192kHz, 16/20/24-bit|
|DSD||2-6ch, 2.8MHz, 1-bit|
|Bitstream||Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital EX, DTS, DTS ES, DTS 96/24|
|High Definition Audio Bitstream||Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD, DTS-HD Master Audio, DTS-HD High Resolution|
|Optical/Coaxial||2Ch Linear PCM||2ch, 32-96kHz, 16/20/24-bit|
|Multichannel Linear PCM||6ch, 32-96Hz, 16/20/24-bit|
|Bitstream||Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital EX, DTS, DTS ES, DTS 96/24|
Direct Stream Digital (DSD): Enjoy studio-quality sound thanks to the Direct Stream Digital (DSD) audio codec; designed specifically for High-Resolution Audio. This 1-bit format utilizes a stream of very high frequency 1s and 0s to recreate audio waveforms at a higher resolution than conventional codecs. The result is clearer, crisper, High-Resolution Audio quality. The STR-DH770 supports DSD 2.8 MHz (up to 5.1ch) decoding thru HDMI.
HD Digital Cinema Sound (HD D.C.S): HD Digital Cinema Sound (HD-D.C.S.) is Sony's new innovative home theater technology using the latest acoustic and digital signal processing technologies. It is based on precise response measurement data of a mastering studio. With this mode, you are able to enjoy Blu-ray and DVD movies at home with not only the high quality of sound, but also the best sound ambience, just as the movie's sound engineer intended in the mastering process.
- For Movies: Select from Dynamic, Theater, & Studio.
- For Music: Select from Berlin Concert Hall, Jazz Club, Live Concert, Stadium, or Sports.
Direct & Headphone Modes: The Sony AV receiver offers two Direct audio modes and a Headphone 2ch for higher fidelity sound.
- Analog Direct: The receiver's Analog Direct mode outputs audio from only the front left and right speakers without any tone or DSP processing; only the volume and front speaker balance adjustments are active.
- Pure Direct: To further enhance sound quality, the receiver's Pure Direct mode not only bypasses the tone and DSP processing, but also turns off the front-panel display to suppress any noise which may affect sound quality.
- HP 2CH: This mode is selected automatically if you use headphones. Standard 2-channel stereo sources completely bypass the sound field processing and multi-channel surround formats are downmixed to 2 channels except LFE signals
Advanced Audio Settings: These advanced audio settings allow you to tailor the sound to your source content, listening conditions, and your personal preferences.
- Front Surround: The AV receiver's S-Force PRO front surround mode delivers a virtual surround acoustic field using only 2.1 channels (a pair of front speakers & powered sub). So there is no need to place rear speakers behind you.
- In-Ceiling Speaker Mode: This feature will virtually re-locate the Front and Center speakers of your in-ceiling speakers to around the screen. Now you will hear their characters' voices coming from the screen instead of the ceiling. This mode also makes music sound more natural and rich in the room with in-ceiling speakers.
- Bass & Treble: You can adjust the tonal quality (bass & treble level) of the front speakers from -6dB to +6dB, in 1dB steps.
- Auto Volume: Auto Volume adjust the volume automatically depending on the input signal or content from the connected equipment. This function is useful, for example, when the sound of a commercial is louder than the TV programs.
- Dynamic Range Compressor: This feature allows you to compress the dynamic range of the sound track. You can select standard or maximum compression, or off (only works with Dolby Digital sources).
- Night Mode: This function allows you to retain a theater like environment at low volume levels. When watching a movie late at night, you will still be able to hear the dialog clear even at a low volume level.
Audio Outputs: The Sony STR-DH770 is fitted with the following audio outputs.
- Binding Post Speaker Terminals: The receiver is equipped with binding post terminals for all speaker channels. The binding post terminals will accept bare wire (up to 10 AWG), pin connectors, and banana plugs (single only). Use speakers with a 6- to 16-ohm impedance.
- Dual Sub Outputs: The AV receiver is fitted with two subwoofer preamp outputs to connect dual powered subs (the subwoofer outputs share the same input signal and are not discrete).
- Front-Panel Headphone Jack: When headphones are plugged into the full-size 1/4" jack on the front panel, all the speakers are automatically muted.
FM Tuner: The STR-DH770 has 30 presets FM radio stations. In addition to preset and auto tuning, stations can be tuned directly by frequency. Each preset station can be given an 8 character name. There is no AM tuner on this receiver.
HDMI 2.0a: The receiver is equipped with four HDMI 2.0a inputs and one HDMI 2.0a monitor output for connecting HDMI-equipped audio/video component; such as your satellite/cable receiver, Blu-ray/DVD player, and game system; plus your TV. The receiver's HDMI 2.0a jacks are compatible with 4K/60Hz video, 4:4:4 color subsampling, HDR (High Dynamic Range) & BT.2020 video, & HDCP 2.2.
- 4K/60Hz Pass-Through: 4K/60Hz pass-through allows the Sony STR-DH770 to receive ultra high-definition resolution video and pass the video signal to a 4K/60Hz compatible TV or display monitor.
- HDCP 2.2: HDCP 2.2 is supported by all of the receiver's HDMI jacks. HDCP 2.2 is short for "High bandwidth Digital Content Protection" and is used for 4K video copyright protection for compatibility with Ultra HD Blu-ray players and 4K Satellite/Cable providers.
- 4:4:4 Color Subsampling: The receiver's HDMI jacks support RGB, YCbCr 4:4:4 color subsampling for more vibrant and lifelike images, as well as YCbCr 4:2:2 and YCbCr 4:2:0 color subsampling. With 4:4:4, luminance (brightness) and chroma (color) are sampled at the same rate, resulting in an RGB color palette as big as the video sampling rate for a video image with more total colors, plus greater color accuracy and detail.
- HDR (High Dynamic Range): HDR (High Dynamic Range) reproduces a greater dynamic range of luminosity or brightness levels, bringing greater contrast & wider color spectrum to the screen. This increased contrast reveals the subtle nuances of the image, from detailed blacks and shadows to the brightest whites and colors, plus greater depth. Previously hidden areas of dark shadow and sunlight are now full of clarity and detail.
- Wide Color Gamut (BT.2020): The BT.2020 color standard delivers a much wider color gamut and represents about 75% of the total visual color spectrum, while the current Rec. 709 color standard selected as the color space for HDTVs and early generation 4K Ultra HDTVs covers only 35% of the total visual color spectrum.
Note: Use a premium high-speed 18Gbps HDMI cable for the best 4K/HDR performance.
Other HDMI Features: Other HDMI features of the Sony STR-DH770 receiver include 3D video, HDMI Standby Pass-Through, A/V Sync, and ARC.
- 3D-Ready: The Sony AV receiver supports 3D video pass-through (720p/1080p only) from connected 3D-compatible Blu-ray, games and broadcast devices to 3D-compatible HDTVs (all 3D components must be connected via HDMI). Special eyewear will be required for viewing 3D content.
- HDMI Standby Pass-Through: The HDMI Standby Pass-Through feature conveniently allows you to access all your HDMI connected devices without having to power on the receiver.
- A/V Sync: The audio output can be delayed (60ms) so that the time gap between the audio output and the visual display is minimized. This is especially helpful when you are using a large LCD or plasma TV or a projection TV.
- ARC (Audio Return Channel): This feature of the HDMI monitor output allows audio to be sent from your compatible HDTV to your receiver through the same HDMI cable already being used to send audio and video to your HDTV. This eliminates the need for extra cables connected to your television.
Color Technologies: The Sony STR-DH770 incorporates Triluminos Color & Deep Color technologies for perfect color and smooth gradation.
- Triluminos Color: The Sony receiver incorporates Sony's Triluminos Color technology to create a heightened sense of depth and incredibly true, natural shades of colors. Hard-to-reproduce reds, aqua blues and emerald greens are displayed beautifully, so landscapes and seascapes look more vivid. Faces look better too, with natural skin tones.
- Deep Color: The Sony receiver also supports Deep Color which allows the color depth of video signals passing through HDMI to be raised. The number of colors that could be expressed by 1 pixel was 24 bits (16,777,216 colors) with a standard HDMI jack. However, the number of colors which can be expressed by 1 pixel is 36 bits with a Deep Color enabled HDMI jack. Since the gradation of the depth of a color can be expressed more finely with more bits, continuous color changes can be more smoothly expressed.
24p True Cinema Mode: The 24p True Cinema Mode allows you to watch movies at their native frame rate 24p format (24 frames per second) when paired with a 24p playback device like a Blu-ray Disc Player.
Composite Video: The Sony receiver offers two composite video inputs and one composite video monitor output that support up to 480i video. The composite video inputs must be out through the receiver's composite video monitor output (there is not HDMI upconversion).
Wireless Music Streaming: The Sony STR-DH770 features built-in Bluetooth version 4.2 with support for A2DP 1.3 & AVRCP 1.5 for wirelessly streaming and control of music on your Bluetooth-enabled using the AV receiver. You are able to stream stored music and music apps on your Bluetooth-enabled Apple iPod/iPhone/iPad, Android smartphone/tablet Windows Phone/PC, Mac laptop/computer, other devices the Sony STR-DH770 receiver.
- Simple Multi-Device Pairing: The STR-DH770 pairs wirelessly and effortlessly with Bluetooth enabled devices (up to 9) with a single press of a button and PIN required. Android (OS 4.0+) smartphones that have Near Field Communication (NFC) pair simply by touching the Android device's NFC tag to the receiver's NFC tag on the front-panel. For older Android (OS 2.3.3+)smartphones, you'll need to download the NFC Easy Connect app from Google Play to use the head unit's NFC pairing function. Once paired, the AV receiver will automatically re-connect to your device when within range (up to 98.4')
- SBC + AAC Codecs: In addition to support for the standard SBC Bluetooth audio codec, the STR-DH770 offers support of AAC. By supporting AAC, the AV receiver offers better audio performance of the music streamed from your Apple iPod, iPhone, or iPad.
- Playback Control: You'll be able to control basic playback functions, like Play/Pause & Previous/Next Track using the receiver's remote control. Advanced music browsing will still need to be handled from your Bluetooth-enable device.
- No Song/Artist Info: There is no song/artist information display on the receiver or connected TV. Continue to use your Bluetooth device's screen to view song/artist info.
Note: Due to the differences in Bluetooth technology, some Bluetooth enabled devices may be incompatible, function improperly, or may not support all features when used with the Sony receiver.
Front-Panel USB Port: This AV receiver is equipped with a front-panel USB (type-A) port that allows you to enjoy MP3, WMA, AAC, & WAV music files from a USB mass storage class memory device formatted in FAT/16/32, such as a USB thumbdrive or portable digital audio player. The receiver can recognize up to 200 folders and 150 files in each folder. You can use the receiver's front-panel LCD and remote control to navigate your stored music files on your connected USB memory device. Son/artist information will display on the front-panel LCD (not your connected TV). USB portable devices that can be charged via USB will be charged when plugged into the AV receiver's USB port (5V/1A); even in standby mode.
Note: The receiver's USB port is not compatible with Apple iPod/iPhone/iPad or Android smartphones/tablets.
IR Remote + Bravia Theater Sync: The supplied IR remote is pre-coded to control this Sony receiver, Sony TVs, Sony CD players, Sony DVD players and recorders, and Sony Blu-ray disc players and recorders. Sony's Bravia Theater Sync feature allows you to easily manage select BRAVIA televisions and Sony HDMI audio and video components with a single remote. By connecting Sony components that are compatible with the HDMI Control function with a HDMI cable, operation is simplified in the following ways.
- One-Touch-Play: When you playback a component such as a DVD/Blu-ray Disc Player, the receiver and the TV are turned on automatically and switch to the appropriate HDMI input.
- System Audio Control: While watching TV, you can select to output the sound from the TV speaker or the speakers connected to the receiver.
- System Power Off: When you turn off the TV, the receiver and connected components are also turned off simultaneously.
- Theater Mode Sync: Allows you to switch the AV receiver's Theater mode from the receiver's, TV, or connected Blu-ray disc player's remote control, while pointing the remote toward your television.
Music Center App (previously known as SongPal app): Download Sony's free Music Cente app onto your Apple iOS 10.0+ or Android OS 4.4+ device to control the AV receiver from your mobile device via a Bluetooth connection. From the Music Center app, you can select input sources and customize sound settings of the Sony AV receiver. In addition, you can access stored music and other apps on your smartphone using the Music Center app. You'll also be able to browse music stored on an inserted USB mass storage class device from the Music Center app on your compatible smartphone. The SongPal app will display song/artist information and album art.
On-Screen Menu (via HDMI): You can display the menu of the receiver on your HDMI connected TV screen and select the function you want to use from the on-screen menu using the included IR remote control. If your TV is connected to the composite video monitor output, you will need to use the AV receiver's front-panel display when changing settings.
Note: Initial setup requires that the receiver be connected to your TV via HDMI for display of the on-screen menu. Many of the receiver's setup functions can only be found via the on-screen menu and not the front-panel display.
Input Mode: When you connect components to both digital and analog audio input jacks on the receiver, you can fix the audio input mode to either of them, or switch from one to the other, depending on the type of material you intend to watch.
Input Name: You can enter a name of up to 8 characters for each of the receiver's inputs (except Tuner) and display the name on its display. This is convenient for labeling the jacks with the names of your connected components.
Sleep Timer: The unit may be set to automatically turn off after 30, 60, 90, or 120 minutes.
Auto Standby: Auto Standby lets you set the receiver switch to standby mode automatically after 20 minutes when you do not operate the receiver or when there is no signal input to the receiver.
Software Update: By downloading the latest version of software from Sony, you can take advantage of the newest functions. Software updates are done via USB. Visit the Sony eSuport website for the latest software updates.
The Sony STR-DH770 replaces these items
- 7-channel amplifier; 90 watts per channel with 2 channels driven
- built-in Bluetooth for wireless music streaming from a compatible smartphone, tablet, or computer
- auto speaker calibration tailors the sound to your specific room
Q Crutchfield asked: Why did you buy this?
32 questions already asked