About the Sony WH-RF400
A personal solution for better TV sound
The Sony WH-RF400 headphones help you hear dialogue and sound effects more clearly, without disturbing others.
A personal solution for better TV sound
Customers often tell us that they find TV dialogue too hard to hear and understand. The Sony WH-RF400 wireless TV headphones solve this problem, without forcing you to crank up the volume and disturb others. The wireless transmitter connects to your TV's analog RCA audio outputs or headphone jack. (Please note: there are no HDMI, optical, or other digital connection options.)
I've tested an earlier version of this system, and the headset made speech so much easier to follow than my TV's built-in speakers. Plus, I was able to enjoy big movie effects in a place where firing up a surround sound system would be a no-no — namely next to my napping two-year-old's bedroom.
How it works, and what's included
Use one the included cables to connect the WH-RF400's transmitter to your TV or audio system. The transmitter sends an audio signal wirelessly to the included headset. Slip the headset over your ears, and you get clear, powerful — and personal — TV sound.
Easy-to-wear headset with on-ear controls
The headset feels incredibly light, so even though it fits over your ears, it is unobtrusive. You'll appreciate that during longer movies and binge-watching sessions. Controls are convenient, too. There's a volume dial on the right ear cup, and below it a "Voice mode" button that brings the dialogue front and center.
Plenty of wireless range
When I watch TV, I'm rarely able to just veg out on the couch. I'm either cleaning up after the kids, folding clothes, or doing some other chore. The Sony WH-RF400 gives you 150 feet of wireless range to move around in.
This was particularly useful when I watched a weekend afternoon baseball game. My kitchen is right next to my living room, so I could start prepping for dinner while still keeping tabs on my team. When the lazy Sunday crowd erupted into cheers, I knew to head back over to the TV to catch the important play.
- transmits sound wirelessly from a TV or audio system to a set of over-ear headphones
- Sony's transmission process reduces signal noise for clear wireless reception
- Please check your TV's connections:
- does not offer a digital audio connection to your TV (no HDMI, no optical)
Wireless Audio Transmitter:
- RF wireless transmitter range: up to 150 feet
- features a 3.5mm stereo minijack input for connecting to your TV
- includes two cables:
- 63" cable with stereo mini output
- 9" cable with stereo RCA outputs
- includes AC adapter for power
- docking station for charging the wireless headset
- battery status LED
Wireless Headphone Set:
- over-the-ear, closed-back design helps keep out external noise
- large 40mm drivers for clear, powerful TV sound
- rechargeable AAA battery provides up to 20 hours of operation
- on-ear volume dial and tuning button
- "Voice mode" button for boosting dialogue
- turns off automatically when not in use
- weight: 9.7 ounces
- carrier frequency: 915.5 MHz, 916.0 MHz, 916.5 MHz
- frequency response: 10-20,000 Hz
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # WHRF400
- Relaxed fit
- Good for TV watching
What's in the box:
- WH-RF400R Over-ear RF wireless headphones
- TMR-RF400 Transmitter/charging base
- AC adapter with 6' DC output cord (DC output: 12V 200mA)
- BP-HP800-11Lithium-Ion rechargeable battery (2.4V 800mAh)
- 63" Audio cable (3.5mm plugs on both ends)
- 9" Audio adapter (female 3.5mm jack on one end and stereo RCA plugs on other end)
- Operating Instructions (English)
- Operating Instructions (Fren/Span)
- Limited Warranty sheet
- Warning (for AC adapter)
More details on the Sony WH-RF400
Overview: The Sony WH-RF400 Wireless Stereo Headphone System lets you enjoy your music, TV shows, games, or movies in private. The headphones operate on radio frequencies (RF), giving you a range of up to 150 feet. The system includes the over-ear headphones, RF transmitter/headphone charging stand, rechargeable battery, and connecting cables.
Drivers/Closed Back Design: The WH-RF400 headphones feature large 40mm drivers (1.57"), giving you clear, accurate sound quality over a wide frequency range. The drivers are housed in closed-back ear cups to reduce ambient noise and to keep the audio from leaking out. The ear cups feature soft ear pads for added comfort during long listening sessions. The ear cups swivel and tilt on the head band to provide the best fit.
Voice Mode / Volume Control: If you use the wireless headphones to watch TV or movies, you can enjoy clearer dialog by engaging the Voice Mode. You can easily switch between Voice Mode and Normal playback mode with the slide switch on the right ear cup. The headphones rotary volume control is also located on the right ear cup.
Rechargeable Battery: The WH-RF400 is powered by the BP-HP800-11, a 2.4-volt 800mAh Nickel-Metal Hydride (Ni-MH) rechargeable battery. The battery is stored inside the left ear cup, and provides up to 20 hours of playback time. If you place the headphones on the transmitter/charging stand after each use, you can keep the battery "topped off," as it will recharge automatically. A fully-exhausted battery charges in approximately 7 hours. The charger automatically turns off when charging is complete, so there's no need to remove the headphones from the charging stand.
Optional Alkaline Batteries: When the rechargeable battery is exhausted, you can insert two "AAA" alkaline batteries and continue listening. Fresh alkaline batteries provide approximately 24 hours of playback time.
Transmitter / Charging Stand: The TMR-RF400 RF transmitter/charging stand connects to your audio source via a 3.5mm stereo mini cable (supplied). The transmitter operates at 915.5 MHz (channel 1), 916.0 MHz (channel 2), and 916.5 MHz (channel 3). If the headphones are not able to receive a clear audio signal, you can switch between channels on the transmitter base. The headphones will locate the new frequency when the Auto Tuning button (on the right ear cup) is pressed. The transmitter has a range of up to 150 feet.
Noise Reduction: The transmitter takes the audio input signal, compresses it, and converts it to an RF signal. When picked up by the headphones, the signal is decompressed, which reduces the noise level, and improves the signal-to-noise ratio.
- Frequency Response: 10 Hz - 22 kHz
- Headphones: Ear Cup Width 3.144", Height 3.997", Depth 1.827", Headband Width 1.345"
- Transmitter/Charging Base: Width 5.116" Height 10.688" Depth 6.29"
- Headphones: 9.7 ounces (w/battery)
- Transmitter/Charging Base: 9.5 ounces
32 questions already asked