About the Sony XAV-V631BT
Sony touchscreen magic
Sony touchscreen magic
Sony's XAV-V631BT digital multimedia receiver works with your Apple® or Android™ smartphone to give you convenient hands-free control and outstanding audio performance. With built-in Bluetooth connectivity and near-field communication (NFC), this receiver quickly creates a wireless link between your mobile device and your car's audio system. You can start streaming the music and podcasts you love without the hassle of finding a cord or waiting (and waiting) for a connection.
NFC means ultra-fast pairing
iPhone and Android™
That's not to say that you can't plug in. You can connect iPod, iPhone, or Android phone into the receiver's front USB input for direct control and playback of your music. The 6.2" touchscreen receiver looks great and gives you fingertip control over your favorite functions.
Siri and SongPal
If your iPhone® has Siri Eyes Free®, you can use your voice to control that feature through the receiver, and you'll hear Siri's response through the car's speakers. If you're into Pandora, you can pair your iPhone or Android device to the XAV-V631BT and enjoy your playlists. You can also use Sony's SongPal app to browse a wide variety of streaming services on your Android phone. SongPal also lets you control your receiver's settings from your phone.
Outstanding sound quality
A powerful amp combines with Sony's EXTRA BASS technology to make your digital music sound rich, full, and dynamic. You can adjust the EQ5 5-band equalizer to optimize the acoustics in your vehicle, or access the preset tone curves for quick changes to your sound.
Add a backup camera, navigation, and more
Rear-view cameras are a big deal these days, and for all the right reasons. The XAV-V631BT is ready for your closeup with its rear camera input, plus it offers a rear AUX input, a video input, and output jacks for setting up another video source and a backseat screen. You can also add Sony's XA-NV400 add-on GPS navigation module to gain instant access to maps from TomTom of the U.S., Canada, and Puerto Rico.
Want to keep your car's steering wheel audio controls?
In most cars, you'll need an adapter to retain those controls with this car stereo. Connect a few wires, then program the adapter for your particular car and radio, and you'll retain the convenience of your steering wheel controls. You'll see the adapters that work with your vehicle when you add this receiver to your cart.
Bluetooth note: Use of this receiver's Bluetooth features will depend upon your phone's Bluetooth capabilities. Learn more in our article explaining Bluetooth profiles.
iPod/smartphone note: If you're going to use your iPod or smartphone with this receiver, be sure to check "Details" for compatibility information.
This digital multimedia receiver will not play CDs.
- digital multimedia receiver with AM/FM tuner (does not play CDs)
- built-in amplifier (17 watts RMS CTA-2006/55 peak x 4 channels)
- 6.2" LCD touchscreen display
- built-in Bluetooth for hands-free calling and audio streaming (external mic included)
- near-field communication (NFC) means ultra-fast pairing with your phone
- fits double-DIN (4" tall) dash openings
- built-in iPod, iPhone, and iPad control
- Android control through USB
- Pandora control with iPhone and Android
- Siri Eyes Free Control
- EQ5 5-band equalizer
- high- and low-pass filters
- subwoofer controls
- compatible with Sony's XA-NV400 add-on GPS navigation module
- inputs: front USB input, two A/V inputs (front and rear), rear-view camera input
- outputs: video output, 5-channel preamp outputs (2-volt front, rear, sub)
- compatible with most factory steering wheel audio controls (adapter required)
- CTA-2006 compliant
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # XAVV631BT
What's in the box:
- Digital media receiver w/ integrated 6.2" touchscreen monitor (10A fuse)
- Wiring harness
- Microphone w/ bracket (attached 12' cable terminated by a right-angle 3.5mm connector)
- Two-sided tape
- 6 ISO mounting screws (M5 x 8mm)
- Operating Instructions (En/Fr/Sp)
- Warranty Information
More details on the Sony XAV-V631BT
Features & specs
|AUX Input||Mini (front), RCA (rear)|
|Audio/video Input||Mini (front), RCA (rear)|
|Backup Camera Input||Yes|
|Second Camera Input||No|
|Memory Card Slot||USB memory|
|Satellite Radio Ready||No|
|RMS Power (CTA-2006)||17 watts|
|RMS Power (Manufacturer)||---|
|Peak Output||55 watts|
|RMS Power Bandwidth||20-20kHz|
|Sub Preamp Outputs||Yes|
|Switchable Rear Preamp Outputs||No|
|Navigation App Compatible (iOS)|
|Navigation App Compatible (Android)|
|Preamp Voltage||2 volts|
|Key Button Color||White|
|Steering Wheel Control Compatible||Adapter required|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
|FM Sensitivity||10 dBf|
|Radio Data System||Yes|
|Music File Playback||MP3,WMA,AAC,WAV,FLAC|
|High-res Playback||FLAC (96kHz)|
Android & iPhone Integration
Pandora + AM/FM Radio
USB & AV Connectivity
Audio & DSP Section
6.2" Touchscreen Display: The Sony XAV-V631BT digital media receiver features a 6.2" widescreen (17:9) touchscreen LCD monitor. The WVGA LCD monitor has a high resolution of 800 (H) x 480 (V) x RGB; with 1,152,000 total pixels. The LCD monitor provides touchscreen controls with easy-to-identify icons, making menu navigation easy. In addition to the head unit's touchscreen controls, the XAV-V631BT provides a 3-way rotary knob and a multi-function hard-key button along the left edge of the screen.
- Picture EQ: You can select a picture quality mode suitable for the interior brightness of your vehicle. You can choose from Dynamic, Standard, Theater, or Sepia.
- Aspect Ratio: You can also change the screen's aspect ratio of the digital media receiver's LCD monitor to suit your video content. You can choose from Normal, Wide, Full, or Zoom.
- Auto Dimmer: To change the brightness of the display you can set the XAV-V631BT to one of two dimmer modes; Dimmer Auto (dims the display automatically when you turn your vehicle's lights on), or Dimmer On (display always dim). You can adjust the dimmer level from -5 to +5.
Note: To prevent the displaying of video while the vehicle is in motion, the light green wire in the supplied harness must be connected to the vehicle's parking brake detection circuit. Video can only be displayed when the vehicle's parking brake is engaged. While the vehicle is in motion (parking brake off), you can still view all of the other displays and menus.
SongPal App (for Android): Download Sony's free SongPal app onto your Bluetooth-paired Android (OS 4.0.3+) smartphone and take control of the Sony XAV-V631BT head unit right from your mobile device. You'll enjoy control over basic head unit functions, as well as navigation and seamless access to all your sources, music, apps, and more from your smartphone. The SongPal app also provides Voice Recognition from the head unit for applications that you have downloaded within the SongPal app on your Android device. You even get audible readouts of Texts, Twitter messages, Facebook feeds, and Calendar events on your Android phone through the Sony digital media receiver.
Note: The SongPal app is only compatible with Android. Not compatible with Apple iPhone.
- Voice Recognition: You can use voice commands to ask for directions from Google maps or to play a particular song/artist in your smartphone's music library. You can even assign music applications within the SongPal app, so you can access them by simply speaking the name of the application. While using voice commands there will still be times where you have to make a selection on your smartphone's touchscreen.
- Notification Readout: Exclusive to Android devices, incoming SMS/Text and Twitter/Facebook/Calendar notifications are automatically read aloud through the XAV-V631BT and your vehicle's speakers to keep you safe and in touch. You can even reply to a text message via voice command and a list of preset replies.
- Receiver Sources: From the SongPal app on your Android device you can access and select the head unit's Tuner (AM/FM), USB, Bluetooth, and Aux sources.
- Playback & Volume Control: You'll also be able to control basic playback functions such as Play/Pause, Previous/Next Track or Station, and Volume Up/Down.
- Song/Artist Info + Album Art: In addition, you'll be able to view song/artist information and station identification from the SongPal app on your mobile device.
Steering Wheel Control Input: The head unit features an OEM steering wheel remote control input on the rear of the unit that lets you keep your vehicle's factory radio steering wheel remote controls when used with an optional steering wheel audio control adapter (sold separately).
Bluetooth Technology: The Sony XAV-V631BT is equipped with built-in Bluetooth (version 3.0), allowing you to make and receive phone calls wirelessly through the receiver; as well as stream music wirelessly from your smartphone to the head unit. In order to use Bluetooth wireless technology, your phone must also be Bluetooth compatible and be able to interpret certain profiles. This unit is compatible with the following Bluetooth Profiles:
- Hands-Free Communication: HFP 1.6 (Hands Free Profile), PBAB 1.0 (Phone Book Access Profile).
- Audio Streaming: A2DP 1.3 (Advanced Audio Distribution Profile), AVRCP 1.4 (Audio/Video Remote Control Profile).
Note: Due to the differences in Bluetooth technology, some Bluetooth enabled devices may be incompatible, function improperly, or may not support all features when used with the Sony XAV-V631BT. Please visit Sony eSupport for a complete list of compatible Bluetooth enabled phones.
SPP + NFC Pairing: With Secure Simple Pairing (SSP), you can easily pair a Bluetooth enabled phone to the Sony XAV-V631BT without having to enter pin codes or go through complicated settings. Android (OS 4.0+) smartphones that have Near Field Communication (NFC) pair simply by touching the Android device's NFC tag to the head unit's NFC tag on the front-panel. For older Android smartphones with OS 4.0 or lower, download the NFC Easy Connect app from Google Play to use the head unit's NFC pairing function.
Hands-Free Communication (w/ External Mic): The Sony XAV-V631BT supports Bluetooth hands-free communication for your Bluetooth enabled cell-phone. Bluetooth hands-free communication helps to minimize distraction while driving by allowing you to control your mobile phone from the head unit, so you don't have to touch your mobile phone. The unit features an external microphone (featuring adjustable gain), so you can carry on your side of the conversation while listening to the caller through your vehicles speakers. And thanks to the latest Hands-Free Profile (HFP 1.6) with wideband speech capability, the XAV-V631BT provides more natural sound quality and details during wireless calls. The controls of the XAV-V631BT can be used to dial a number, answer an in-coming call, or end a call.
- Answering Calls: Incoming calls can be answered manually or automatically (between 3-10 seconds) through the Sony head unit, while the ring tone is output from your car speakers and the caller's name or phone number is displayed on the head unit's LCD. Incoming calls can also be rejected if desired.
- Dialing a Number: Using the XAV-V631BT, you can
dial a phone number in a variety of ways.
- Entering Phone #: Allows you to manually dial a phone number using the unit's touchscreen keypad.
- Preset Dial: You can store up to 6 contacts in the preset dial for quick dialing from the unit's touchscreen.
- Phone Book: You can transfer up to 1,000 contacts from your phone's phonebook and store them in the head unit for easy access using the unit's touchscreen monitor.
- Call History: The unit will store the last 20 calls, allowing you to select a previous phone number quickly from the list.
- Voice Dial: You can use the included external mic to make a call using the voice tags of contacts stored on your connected cellular phone.
- Redial: Use this feature to easily redial the last number you called.
Note: During a conversation, you can switch between the Private Mode (talking directly on your cell phone) and the Hands Free Mode.
Wireless Audio Streaming (w/ Metadata Display): The Sony XAV-V631BT also supports wireless audio playback (AD2P) and control (AVRCP) of a Bluetooth enabled audio player or smartphone. You can stream stored music and music apps from your Bluetooth-enabled device to the XAV-V631BT. You'll be able to control basic playback functions; such as Play/Pause, Previous/Next Track, Fast-Forward/Reverse, and Shuffle/Repeat. The head unit will also display your music's song/artist information; such as Artist name, Song title, and Album title. You will continue to use your Bluetooth-enabled device to control advanced music playback functions.
Note: When an incoming call or outgoing call is in progress from your Bluetooth enabled mobile phone, audio streaming will be paused so you can take your call. Once the call is finished, your streaming music will resume.
Siri Control: When paired and connected to an iPhone with Siri via Bluetooth, the Sony XAV-V631BT has the ability to access Siri through its front-panel controls and external microphone. Simply press-and-hold down on the head unit's "Home/Voice" button to engage Siri and use the included microphone to communicate with Siri. Siri's voice will heard through your vehicle's speakers. All Siri functions including hands-free calling, music search, setting reminders, text-messaging, audible navigation, and more can be done through the XAV-V631BT and its microphone. You can even ask Siri to get directions to a destination and the turn-by-turn instructions will heard through your vehicle's speakers, while the on-screen map still displays on your iPhone with Siri. The head unit's audio is attenuated while Siri provides audible directions.
Note: The head unit's display will only indicate hands-free calling and Bluetooth audio information (all other functions of Siri are only audible through the Sony XAV-V631BT; visual data will still need to be viewed from your iPhone device).
Android Connectivity (via MTP): The Sony XAV-V631BT provides playback of stored music files on select Android (OS 4.0+) devices through its front-panel USB MTP-compatible port. You also get basic playback controls (like Play/Pause & Previous/Next Track) from the receiver's touchscreen. In addition, you are able to view song/artist information on the receiver's touchscreen monitor. Simply connect your compatible Android device with the microUSB-to-USB cable that came with your device. The unit's USB port (1A) will also charge your Android device while connected; the vehicle's accessory key must be set to the 'ACC' or 'On' position.
Note: During connection, you cannot use your Android smartphone's touchscreen to control music playback and you cannot select music apps from your smartphone for playback. However, you can continue to listen to stored music on your Android smartphone through the head unit while you check your Calendar, Facebook, Texts, etc on your phone.
iPod/iPhone Direct Connection: The Sony XAV-V631BT supports direct connection of select Lightning or 30-pin Apple iPod/iPhone devices through its front-panel USB port. The XAV-V631BT offers playback of your music library or music apps, browsing control, information display, and charging of select Apple devices. Simply connect your compatible iPod/iPhone using the cable that came with your Apple device, or purchase another Lightning-to-USB or dock-to-USB cable (sold separately) to be used in the car.
- Music Browsing: From the receiver's touchscreen monitor, you are able to browse your iPod/iPhone's music library by Artist, Album, Song, Genre, or Playlist (content in each category is listed alphabetically). The unit also offers basic playback controls; such as Play/Pause, Fast Forward/Rewind, Previous/Next Track, and Repeat/Random. The head unit will even display your Apple device's song/artist/album information. Your iPod/iPhone will remain unlocked during connection, so you can continue to control your Apple device from its touchscreen and access additional music apps.
- Song/Artist Info: The digital media receiver will display your iPod/iPhone's stored music file information; including Track number, Elapsed playing time, Song Title, & Artist/Album Name. The XAV-V631BT will also display song/artist information and station identification from select music apps.
- 1A Charging: The head unit's USB connection provides 1A of current to power and charge your connected iPod/iPhone when your vehicle's ignition switch is set to the 'ACC' or 'On' position. If your iPod/iPhone has no initial battery charge, then this unit will not recognize it.
Note: Access to your iPhone's downloaded applications will depend on the availability of a cellular and/or WiFi network for purposes of allowing your iPhone to connect to the Internet.
iPod/iPhone Compatibility Chart: The Sony XAV-V631BT is "Made for iPod/iPhone" compatible and supports the following iPod/iPhone model features (as of 2/28/2017):
Apple Device Generation Tested Version Media Type Control Type Display Type Bluetooth Charge Audio Video Head Unit iPod/iPhone Pandora Album Art Song/Artist Text Track Info Phone Audio Siri iPhone 4S 9.3.5 Y N Y Y Y N Y Y Y Y Y Y SE 10.2.1 Y N Y Y Y N Y Y Y Y Y Y 5/5C/5S 10.2.1 Y N Y Y Y N Y Y Y Y Y Y 6/6+/6S/6S+ 10.2.1 Y N Y Y Y N Y Y Y Y Y Y 7/7+ 10.2.1 Y N Y Y Y N Y Y Y Y Y Y touch 5th 9.3.5 Y N Y Y Y N Y Y N Y Y Y 6th 10.2.1 Y N Y Y Y N Y Y N Y Y Y
Note: Apple iPod/iPhone software updates may change functionality results. If you download a newer software version, you may need to reset the head unit and your iPod/iPhone to regain functionality. If this doesn't work, you may need to wait until a newer software update is available.
Pandora Internet Radio: The Sony XAV-V631BT digital media receiver lets you playback and control the online Pandora music service that is being streamed to your USB-connected Apple iPhone (iOS 9.0+) or Bluetooth-paired Android smartphone (OS 4.0+). The Sony XAV-V631BT will also display Artist, Album, & Song information provided by the Pandora app on your iPhone or Android smartphone. Your iPhone or Android smartphone will need an active Data Plan account with connection to the Internet via 3G, EDGE, LTE (4G), or WiFi. In addition, you will need an active Pandora music service account. The Sony XAV-V631BT provides the following control over the Pandora music service streamed to your USB-connected iPhone or Bluetooth-enabled Android smartphone.
- Station List: You can select Pandora stations from your Station List by date or alphabetically (A-Z).
- Skip Songs: You can skip song tracks within a station. You cannot skip back to a previous song. Pandora limits the number of skips allowed.
- Thumbs Up/Down: You can give songs a thumbs up or thumbs down to help Pandora personalize stations to suit your preferences.
- Bookmarking: The song or artist currently being played can be bookmarked & stored in your Pandora account.
Note: Access to the Pandora service will depend on the availability of a cellular and/or WiFi network for purposes of allowing your iPhone or Android smartphone to connect to the Internet. Pandora is not supported in Canada and only available in the United States.
Digital Clarity Tuner w/ RDS: The Sony XAV-V631BT is equipped with a Digital Clarity Tuner for clear AM/FM stereo sound with digital processing technology. FM stations with Radio Data System (RDS) service send inaudible digital information along with the regular radio program signal. Radio Data System (RDS) displays radio broadcast information such as artist, title, and album when listening to compatible FM stations.
- Presets + BSM (Best Station Memory): The radio features 5 memory bands to store and receive AM/FM stations. You can store up to 6 presets each in FM1, FM2, FM3, AM1 and AM2 (total: 18 FM/12 AM). Preset tuning can be done manually or automatically (BSM). BSM (Best Tuning Memory) selects stations with the best signals within the selected band and stores them in order of their frequency. You can select from FM1, FM2, FM3, AM1, and AM2.
- Preset Scan (Zappin): The Preset Scan feature (also called "Zappin") helps you find a desired station within your preset list by listening to preset stations for a few seconds, each.
Front-Panel USB Port (MSC/MTP compatible): The digital media receiver is equipped with a front-panel USB (type-A) port that can be used for plugging in a USB (MSC) Mass Storage Class or a USB MTP (Media Transfer Protocol) device; such as select Android devices, digital audio players, and thumbdrives or flashdrives. The head unit supports playback of a variety of music, video, and photo files stored on a compatible USB device. You are able to browse and control playback of the compatible files stored on your USB device through the head unit's touchscreen, as well as view song/artist information. USB portable audio devices that can be charged via USB will be charged when plugged into the receiver's USB port (max. 1A), and the vehicle's ignition switch is set to ACC or On.
|Media Type||USB (MSC & MTP)|
|File System||FAT 12/16/32|
|Playable File Types||Audio||MP3: 48-192kbps;
WMA: 48-192kbps; 44.1kHz
AAC: 40-320kbps; 8-48kHz
WAV: 8-48kHz; 16/24-bit
FLAC: 8-96kHz; 8/16/24-bit
|Video||MPEG4:| 720 x
576 (30p/60i); 30 fps |
Xvid: 720 x 576 (30p/60i); 30 fps
|Photo||JPEG: 6,048 x 4,032 (24,000,000 pixels)|
|Maximum # of Folders/Files||256 folders/2,000 files|
|Tags||ID3 tag (version 1.0/1.1/2.2/2.3/2.4), WMA tag, AAC tag, FLAC tag|
Dual AV Inputs: The Sony XAV-V631BT receiver is fitted with two audio/video inputs. The unit features a front-panel 3.5mm AV input on the front panel of the head unit for connecting a temporary external audio/video source, such as a game console. The head unit also features a composite video/stereo audio RCA input on the rear panel for connecting a permanent external AV source, such as a DVD player or mobile ATSC tuner.
Video Output: A single RCA composite video-output jack allows you to an add external monitor, such as rear headrest or overhead monitor (sold separately). The video output can display a USB or AV-input video signal when its selected as the receiver's source, regardless if the vehicle's parking brake is engaged or not.
Rear View Camera Input: The Sony XAV-V631BT is equipped with a composite video Rear View Camera input to connect a backup camera (sold separately). By connecting a rear view camera, you can use the in-dash receiver's touchscreen LCD to see what's behind you when backing up. You can even choose a normal or reverse image.
- Auto Switching: When your vehicle's shift lever is in the reverse position, the screen automatically switches to the rear view camera; the purple/white wire of the included harness must be connected to the vehicle's reverse lamp circuit for automatic video switching. Automatic video switching takes approximately 1.5 seconds. You can also manually select the rear view camera input.
- Parking Guide Lines: When a rear-view camera is connected and you are viewing a rear view image, parking guide lines appear on-screen making parking easy and safer. There are three color-coded horizontal guidelines to aid you in backing up into a parking spot.
Note: The rear view camera feature is meant as a back-up aid only; never solely rely on the rear-view camera when backing-up. In addition to using the rear-view camera, always look behind you to make sure everything is clear when backing up your vehicle.
Navigation Ready: The XAV-V631BT supports Sony's add-On GPS navigation module (158XANV400, sold separately) through its rear-panel proprietary multi-pin port labeled "EXT". The XA-NV400 add-on GPS navigation module is powered by TomTom.
Dynamic Reality Amp 2 w/ 24-Bit DAC The Sony XAV-V631BT digital media receiver features a newly developed sound processor for less distortion, an S-MOSFET IC for smooth signal transmission, and a large-sized capacitor for deep bass sound. In addition, the XAV-V631BT is equipped with Sony's Dynamic Reality Amp 2 to produce 3-dimensional sound staging for more realistic sound inside your vehicle. The Sony XAV-V631BT also utilizes a 24-bit digital to analog converter for superior sound quality. The power output specs for the XAV-V631BT are as follows:
- Continuous Power Output: 17 watts RMS x 4 channels (at 4 ohms, 20Hz-20kHz, 1% THD-N)
- Peak Power Output: 55 watts x 4-channels (220 total watts)
Note: The power specifications for the Sony XAV-V631BT are compliant with the CTA-2006 Mobile Amplifier Power Testing and Measurement standards from the Consumer Technology Association (CTA). These standards were developed as a way to equitably compare power specs from model to model and between manufacturers.
5ch/2V Preouts+ Subwoofer Control: The XAV-V631BT contains five 2-volt RCA preouts; a front channel pair, rear channel pair, and mono-subwoofer channel. The front and rear channel preouts can be faded. The subwoofer preout is non-fading. You can adjust the subwoofer preout's volume level (-10 to +10) independently from the head unit's volume control. You can also select the phase of the subwoofer output from Normal or Reverse.
Low-Pass & High-Pass Crossover: The unit's subwoofer preout features a low pass crossover with a selectable cut-off frequency of 50Hz, 85Hz, 120Hz, 160Hz, or Off. The front & rear speaker outputs offer a selectable high-pass crossover frequency of 63Hz, 100Hz, 120Hz, 150Hz, 180Hz, or Off.
EQ5: You can select an equalizer curve from eight music types; Country, Soul, Electronica, R&B, Pop, Rock, Hip-Hop, Jazz, Dance, Custom, or Off (flat). The Custom EQ5 mode allows you to make your own equalizer settings. You can adjust the level (+/-8dB) of five different frequency bands - 100Hz, 250Hz, 1kHz, 4kHz, & 12.5kHz.
ExtraBass: Activate ExtraBass at the touch of a button for an instant, low-end boost. Unlike conventional bass boosters, ExtraBass minimizes distortion at all volume levels by automatically adjusting frequency and gain to their optimal positions.
Beep Tone: The in-dash head unit provides an audible beep to confirm button operation. This function can be turned On or Off.
Q Crutchfield asked: Why did you buy this?
15 questions already asked