About the AudioControl 6XS
Feed your amps the right signal in your stereo 3-way system
Feed your amps the right signal in your stereo 3-way system
In 3-way audio systems, the tweeters, the mid-frequency drivers, and subwoofers each get powered by their own separate amplifier channel, resulting in much greater power handling and sonic clarity. AudioControl's 6XS crossover uses precise 24 dB per octave filters to separate the frequencies cleanly, along with a built-in line driver that'll beef up the signal so your amplifiers will have something clean and powerful to work with.
The 6XS crossover features front, rear, and subwoofer inputs, along with four sets of outputs: front high-pass, front low-pass, rear high-pass, and subwoofer. It comes preloaded with crossover modules that will work in a number of system configurations, but you can change the crossover point by buying another AudioControl module, or by modifying the modules installed in your 6XS. A subsonic filter cleans up extreme low end in your signal so your amps and subs will play more efficiently.
Once connected, the 6XS's dash-mount remote makes managing your subwoofer output level easy — just twist the knob when you want more bass. The LED glows brighter when you increase the signal, and dims when you dial it back. Balanced inputs reject noise caused by your vehicle's electrical system, but internal switching gives you other options for dealing with ground loops.
- stereo 3-/4-way electronic crossover
- 3 pair inputs: front, rear, subwoofer
- 4 pair outputs:
- front highpass: 250 Hz and up
- front lowpass: 90 to 250 Hz
- rear highpass: 250 Hz and up
- subwoofer: 30 to 90 Hz
- 24 dB/octave Linkwitz-Riley crossover filters
- crossover frequencies user-programmable via optional AudioControl modules or user modification
- PFM subsonic filter (18-100 Hz at 18 dB/octave)
- line driver with adjustable outputs (up to 9.5 volts RMS)
- wired remote bass level control included
- top-mounted controls for easy adjustment
- balanced inputs eliminate noise
- frequency response: 10 to 100,000 Hz
- signal-to-noise ratio: 110 dB
- fuse rating: 2 amps
- black steel chassis with gold-plated RCA jacks
- size: 8"W x 1-3/8"H x 8-11/16"D
- warranty: 5 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # 841-040-8
What's in the box:
- Six-channel crossover (black chassis)
- 20' Remote lead (4-conductor phone cable with RJ14 modular plugs on each end)
- Remote control module
- Owner's Enjoyment Manual
- QC checklist
AudioControl 6XS reviews
i love this active audiocontrol unit! Best in history.
Pros: lovely loud
Cons: still searching for one.
1 of 1 found this helpful
Best active electronic crossover on the market. This piece WILL make your system sound better. You
Pros: Easy installation Excellent AS True accurate crossover points
Cons: I just wish it could be configured to support a 3-way active front speaker set up which is what I'm using it for.
6 of 7 found this helpful
More details on the AudioControl 6XS
Overview: The AudioControl 6XS is an active 6-channel electronic crossover. You can independently adjust the front high-pass and low-pass, rear high-pass, and subwoofer low-pass crossovers. In addition, the unit has a programmable subsonic filter for optimum subwoofer performance. The outputs can be adjusted up to 9.5 volts RMS (13 volts peak) for low system noise.
Note: Since the 6XS does not have a built-in amplifier, it must be used in conjunction with one or more external amplifiers.
High-Quality Components: The 6XS is equipped with high-quality components, including sharp 24dB per octave Linkwitz-Riley alignment crossovers.
AutoMode Inputs: If the source unit has front, rear, and subwoofer outputs, you can connect them directly to the inputs on the crossover. If you are using only front and rear channels, or only two channels, the AutoMode circuitry will automatically feed the subwoofer channel with signals from the front inputs.
Crossover Frequencies: The 6XS comes with pre-loaded crossover modules that will allow it to work in a number of system configurations. If your system requires different frequencies, you can obtain other crossover modules, with frequencies of 15 to 3500 Hz, directly from the manufacturer. Each crossover has a slope of 24 dB per octave. The factory settings are:
|Outputs||Four/Six-Channel Input||Two-Channel Input|
|Front High-pass||250 Hz and up||250 Hz and up|
|Front Low-pass||90 Hz to 250 Hz||90 Hz to 250 Hz|
|Rear High-pass||250 Hz and up||---|
|Subwoofer||30 Hz to 90 Hz||30 Hz to 90 Hz|
Programmable Frequency Match (PFM) Filter: When subwoofers are forced to reproduce frequencies lower than they are designed to play, the result is wasted amplifier power and damaged speakers. The Programmable Frequency Match (PFM) filter is a programmable 18dB per octave Chebyshev subsonic filter which allows you to only let the speaker play as low as it is designed to play. The unit comes with a plug-in resistor module set at 33 Hz (located under the removable cover). Changing the frequency of the PFM filter requires obtaining a plug-in module of a different frequency, available directly from the manufacturer. Modules are available in frequencies between 10 Hz and 100 Hz.
Output Levels: Each output has a rotary level control, allowing you to independently set the level of the front low-pass, front high-pass, rear high-pass, and subwoofer. Three of the outputs (the front low-pass and high-pass are combined) have three LEDs to indicate when the output levels reach 2 volts, 5 volts, and maximized.
Remote Bass Level Control: The unit comes with a remote bass level control, variable from 0dB to +18dB. Using the mounting bracket, the supplied remote bass level control can be mounted in any convenient location under your vehicle's dash. The green LED on the module glows brighter as the level is increased. (You can easily change the color of the LED to amber, if desired.) The remote bass level control is 2.56" wide, 1.532" tall, and 2.436" deep. The included cable is 20' in length.
Power Connectors: The power, ground, and remote terminals are located on a convenient plug-in module, which can be easily connected to the wires prior to plugging it into the crossover. Connecting the wires to the module requires a small slotted screwdriver. The module will accommodate power and ground wires of 18 to 12 gauge, and a remote turn-on lead of 22 to 12 gauge. The power wire should have an in-line fuse with a rating of 1 or 2 Amps.
Ground Isolation Selector: When alternator whine is present in the system, you can provide an alternative grounding connection. Inside the unit, you can move the jumpers on the Ground Isolation Selector to remedy the problem.
Inputs and Outputs:
- Left Side:
- Power Connections: removable module with power, ground, and remote terminals
- Subwoofer Input: left and right RCA audio jacks
- Rear Input: left and right RCA audio jacks
- Front/Main Input: left and right RCA audio jacks
- Right Side:
- Remote Level Control: RJ14 jack for supplied remote level control cable
- Subwoofer Output: left and right RCA audio jacks
- Rear High-pass Output: left and right RCA audio jacks
- Front Low-pass Output: left and right RCA audio jacks
- Front High-pass Output: left and right RCA audio jacks
Specifications: (measured at 14.4 volts DC)
- Signal Gain: 0 to +12 dB front/rear, 0 to +18 dB subwoofer
- Frequency Response: 10 Hz to 100 kHz +/-1 dB
- Total Harmonic Distortion: 0.005%
- Signal-to-Noise Ratio: -110 dB
- Input Impedance: 20 K Ohms
- Output Impedance: 150 Ohms
- Weight: 2.5 pounds
Q Crutchfield asked: Why did you buy this?
1 question already asked