About the Niles VCS100K
Hear the music, not the volume controller
Hear the music, not the volume controller
Niles volume controls deliver sound to your speakers without getting in the way of the music. While lesser components add pops, clicks and static, Niles brings you pure enjoyment. Their premium-quality parts and construction ensure high-fidelity sound with amplifiers rated at up to 100 watts per channel of continuous power.
Great for systems large or small
These in-wall stereo volume controls offer intuitive operation for your multi-room audio system. The high-power, impedance-magnifying design lets you safely connect as many as eight controls and eight pairs of speakers to a typical receiver or amplifier without installing a speaker selector or any other type of protection device.
If your amp's minimum impedance is 8 ohms, you can connect up to 8 pairs of 8-ohm speakers using these volume controls. If your amp's minimum impedance is 4 ohms, you can connect up to 16 pairs of 8 ohms speakers, or 8 pairs of 4 ohm speakers.
- connect up to 8 pairs of 8-ohm speakers to a single stereo amplifier (requires 1 volume control per speaker pair)
- recommended for use with Niles speaker connecting block
- adjustable impedance magnification (2x, 4x, and 8x)
- power handling: 100 watts per channel
- 12 step control, 48dB maximum attenuation
- pop-free switching between all steps
- removable screwless connectors accommodate up to 14-gauge wire
- Decora-style wall plate and snap-on color insert for quick and easy color changes
- includes: white, light almond, bone and black wall plates
- fits most 18-cubic-inch single-gang junction boxes at least 3" deep
- 2-3/4"W x 4-1/2"H (includes faceplate); depth behind plate: 2-9/16"
- UL-rated for safe in-wall installation
- warranty: 10 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # FG01652
What's in the box:
- VCS100K rotary volume control
- 4 Decora wallplates (white/light almond/bone/black)
- 4 Decora inserts (white/light almond/bone/black)
- 4 Knobs (white/light almond/bone/black)
- 2 Mounting screws (Length=1")
- 2 Faceplate screws (Length=3/16")
- Installation & Operation Guide
- Limited Warranty Card
More details on the Niles VCS100K
Overview: The VCS100K (FG01652) is a high power stereo speaker volume control that connects between the speaker-level output of an amplifier, speaker selector, or a Niles distribution hub and a pair of speakers. Premium-quality parts and construction ensure high-fidelity sound with flat frequency response and 100 watts continuous power handling. It is designed for indoor use only.
Four Colors: The VCS100K installs in-wall in a standard single-gang junction box (J-box). The package includes a Decora faceplate, insert, and knob in each of four colors: white, light almond, bone, and black.
Selectable Impedance Magnifying Circuit: A universal impedance magnifying circuit enables the VCS100K to act as both stereo and an impedance magnifying volume control. You can magnify the speakers' impedance by a factor of two, four, or eight, allowing you to connect up to eight pair of speakers to a single amplifier or receiver. A sliding switch on the front on the volume control lets you set the impedance factor to 1x, 2x, 4x, or 8x.
12-Step Control: The rotary design gives 12-step control, and a total of more than 48dB maximum attenuation. The high-quality construction assures you get pop-free switching between all steps.
Autoformers: Precision autoformers provide superior sonic performance, exceeding the audio quality of non-impedance magnifying volume controls.
Removable Screwless Speaker Connectors: Two piece, screwless speaker connectors make installation quick and secure. Each connector can accept up to 14-gauge wire.
Isolated Grounds: Isolated left and right-channel grounds ensure safety with any amplifier.
Mounting: The VCS100K fits into most 18 cubic inch single-gang junction boxes.
Impedance Compatibility: The VCS100K can be used with 4-, 6-, or 8-ohm speaker systems.
Removable Insert and Knob: The Decora-style insert and knob on the VCS100K are removable, allowing you to substitute a different color insert and knob.
Junction Boxes: The mounting depth of the VCS100K is 2-9/16". When installed, the unit extends 2-1/16" behind the sheetrock (assuming 1/2" sheetrock). For installation, you must use a standard 18 cubic inch or larger junction box.
Speaker Wire: The VCS100K will accept stranded copper wire up to 14-gauge. Larger (lower gauge) wire is not recommended, as it will not fit into the connectors. Solid-core, aluminum, or "Romex" wire is not recommended. Most states require in-wall speaker wire to have a specific "CL" fire rating.
Mounting Location: You can install the VCS100K in just about any location where in-wall space exists, though it should not be installed into a junction box with 110 volt devices, such as light switches or dimmers. Speaker wire can act as an antenna for electrical noise, and locating speaker wire too close to a light switch or dimmer may cause the speakers to emit a popping or buzzing sound.
Required Tools: To install the VCS100K you will need a 1/8" standard slotted screwdriver, a 1/4" standard slotted screwdriver, and a wire stripper. Other tools may be required to prepare the wall and junction box to accept the volume control.
Audio Power Handling: 100 watts/channel RMS; 200 watts/channel peak music power
Frequency Response: 20 to 20,000 Hz (+/-2 dB)
Impedance: compatible with 4-, 6-, and 8-ohm speaker systems
- Volume Control: W=1.532", H=4.066", D=3.421"
- Cover Plate: W=2.95", H=4.711", D=0.255" (Cutout: 1.314" x 2.637")
10 questions already asked