About the Kanto YU2
Kanto YU2 speakers look good and sound great on your desktop. They're compact, self-powered, and come in decor-friendly colors. The active speaker features a USB port with built-in digital to analog converter (DAC) so you can connect directly to your computer and enhance the sound of digital music files (up to 16-bit/48kHz).
Each speaker has a 3" Kevlar® woofer and 3/4" silk dome tweeter. Add a pair of optional Kanto S2 speaker stands to help create an immersive near-field stereo soundfield to enjoy while you work or play.
My hands-on experience with Kanto YU2 desktop speakers
I got to audition a pair of these compact speakers here at Crutchfield HQ. I placed them on either side of my dual-monitor computer setup and angled them slightly toward my seating position, to create a near-field listening environment. Despite the speakers sitting to the right and left of my head, they generated a stereo soundstage that seemed to come from directly in front of me.
Since I was listening at work, I generally opted to play music at low volume to avoid disturbing my coworkers. It was a good test — I was still getting detail and clarity without needing to crank them up. I had a pair in the Gloss Teal finish, and many coworkers who stopped by my desk during the trial period commented on how cool they look.
For my workplace situation, the speakers alone were enough. For home use, though, I'd recommend connecting a Kanto SUB6 to the subwoofer output to add some "oomph" while still keeping the system compact.
In addition to the Type-B USB port for connecting to your desktop or laptop, the active (left) speaker in the pair has a 3.5mm input for connecting a mobile device or other analog source. And bass lovers can use the mono RCA output to add a powered sub.
Kanto YU2 speakers are compact and good-looking, so you can create a personal music listening bubble to enjoy while you work.
- powered stereo speakers
- Type-B USB input with built-in DAC lets you bypass your computer's sound card for better performance
- USB DAC supports stereo input up to 16-bit/48kHz resolution
- bass-reflex speaker cabinets with rear-firing slot ports
- two 25-watt RMS amplifiers built into left (active) speaker
- frequency response: 80-20,000 Hz (±6 dB)
- each speaker features:
- one 3/4" silk dome tweeter
- one 3" Kevlar® mid/woofer
- rear-panel volume control on left speaker
- gold-plated binding post speaker terminals (10-foot speaker wire included to connect left and right speaker)
- USB input (USB Type-A to Type-B cable included)
- 3.5mm stereo analog input (mini-to-mini cable included)
- mono RCA subwoofer output
Dimensions and warranty:
- 3-15/16"W x 5-15/16"H x 5-5/16"D
- weight: 3.1 lbs. (left speaker), 2.9 lbs. (right speaker)
- warranty: 2 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # YU2MB
What's in the box:
- Left powered speaker
- Right passive speaker
- AC power adapter (attached 57" DC cord)
- 69" AC power cord
- 9.75' Speaker wire
- 6.5' USB-B to USB-A cable
- 6.5' Stereo minijack cable
- 8 Self-adhesive rubber feet
- User Manual
- "Thank You" note
More details on the Kanto YU2
Features & specs
|Tweeter Size (Inches)||0.75|
|Midrange Size (Inches)||---|
|Woofer Size (Inches)||3|
|Watts RMS (Continuous)||50|
|Watts Maximum (Peak)||100|
|Max. Digital Audio Bit Depth||N/A|
|Max. Digital Audio Sample Rate||N/A|
|Control by app||N/A|
|Parts Warranty||2 Years|
|Labor Warranty||2 Years|
Two-Way Driver Design: The Kanto YU2 features a two-way driver design with a 0.75" silk dome tweeter and 3" kevlar cone woofer for clear high and detailed midrange/midbass frequencies.
- 0.75" Silk Dome Tweeter: The 0.75" tweeter is made from silk to deliver a high-frequency range that's bright and refined. The tweeter's dome shape improves sound dispersion to ensure your ears capture every sound, regardless of where you are in the room.
- 3" Kevlar Cone Woofer: The 3" woofer cone is made of a kevlar material and features a rubber surround for long-lasting performance. The woofer provides surprisingly controlled and accurate low frequency response.
Class D Amplifier: The 0.75" tweeter and 3" woofer are powered by a built-in 25 watt (RMS) / 50 watt (Peak) x 2 channel amplifier for dynamic sound reproduction. The built-in amplifier is located in the YU2's "Left" powered speaker. The binding-post output terminals on back of the "Left" powered speaker and the included 9.75' speaker wire provide connection to the "Right" passive speaker's binding-post input terminals.
Note: The included 9.75' speaker wire can be replaced with a long speaker wire (sold separately - see Accessories Tab), if your setup requires that the speakers be placed further apart.
Bass Reflex Cabinet: The Kanto YU2 powered speaker system utilizes a bass reflex enclosure design with a rear-firing slot port for greater efficiency and bigger bass response. The speaker cabinet is available in a black, white, grey, teal, red, or bamboo finish.
Note: The Kanto YU2 powered speaker system does not come with grilles.
Built-in DAC w/ USB-B Port: Featuring a built-in DAC (digital-to-analog) and USB-B port (located on the "Left" powered speaker), the YU2 lets you connect directly to your computer (Windows or Mac) via USB, eliminating any interference that your computer’s onboard soundcard may pick-up while enjoying a fully digital, high-quality audio connection. The YU2's USB DAC supports 2ch stereo up to 16-bit/48kHz resolution. When connecting your computer via USB connection, the noisy built-in DAC of your computer is bypassed, and the audio signals are instead decoded by the YU2's high-quality DAC, delivering rich and distortion-free sound to the speakers.
- Please ensure you have changed the proper audio output settings in your computer, so audio signals are output to the YU2 speakers and not to your computer's internal speakers. Select "USB Audio DAC" as the output device in your computer audio settings.
- No separate USB drivers are required for Windows PC or Mac.
- The Kanto YU2 is not equipped with a USB-A port for connecting a USB thumbdrive.
Aux Input: The Kanto YU2 is outfitted with an Aux input (located on the "Left" powered speaker) for connecting an external portable audio device, such as your portable music player. The Aux input can also be used to connect an optional Bluetooth adapter or Phono preamp (both sold separately).
- Optional Bluetooth Adapter: The Kanto YU2 does not offer wireless connectivity. However, you can add a wireless Bluetooth adapter (sold separately - see Accessories Tab) to the system speaker system.
- Optional Phono Preamp: To connect a turntable to the YU2 speaker system, you'll need a turntable with a built-in Phono preamp or an external phono preamp (sold separately - see Accessories Tab).
Sub Out: The Kanto YU2 is equipped with a mono-RCA subwoofer output (located on the "Left" powered speaker) for connecting a powered subwoofer (sold separately - see Accessories Tab) to add deep, low bass to the speaker system. The YU2's sub output is full-range, so you'll need a powered subwoofer with a built-in low-pass crossover.
Power/Volume Control: There is a rotary knob on the back of the "Left" powered speaker that controls Power On/Of and Volume Up/Down functions. There is a LED on the front of the "Left" powered speaker to indicate power. The LED illuminates blue when the system is powered on and does not illuminate when off.
Mounting & Placement Options: The YU2 powered speaker system is designed for either desktop, bookshelf, or stand mounting to enhance your computer audio listening in a near-field environment; but can also be used in a standard 2ch stereo application. The speakers come with self-adhesive rubber feet to protect your furniture (the feet add approximately 0.125" to the overall height of the speakers). Check out the Accessories Tab for desktop and floor stands (sold separately).
- In either setup, the space between the two speakers and the distance from the rear wall is important. If the speakers are positioned too close or too far apart, stereo imaging will not be fully developed.
- The YU2 is designed to perform optimally positioned at least 7.875" to 9.875" from the rear wall for best bass response.
- Regardless of the setup you choose, keep in mind that rooms vary in shape, size, and furnishing; a certain amount of experimentation may be necessary to determine the most suitable position that delivers the most satisfying sound performance.
Note: The Kanto YU2 does not offer brackets, threaded inserts, or key-hole slots to wall-mount the speaker system.
Power Requirements: The Kanto YU2's "Left" powered speaker includes a AC power adapter and cord that will need to be plugged into an AC power outlet or surge protector (sold separately - see Accessories Tab). The "Right" passive speaker does not require AC power.
Note: The Kanto YU2 speaker system is not battery powered.
1 question already asked