About the Parasound ZoneMaster 2
A versatile two-channel amplifier
A versatile two-channel amplifier
The Parasound ZoneMaster 2 delivers 120 watts per channel, and it offers several configuration options for custom installation and multi-zone audio applications. It can drive multiple speakers or subwoofers with ease, thanks to a 2-ohm stable design. The amp can start automatically when your system is turned on via a 12-volt trigger, or when it senses an incoming signal.
Adjustable level controls
Each channel has a level control that's accessible using a screwdriver, via the back panel. That means you can establish maximum volumes for each zone, at safe levels. If you install local in-wall volume controls in each room, then anyone using the system can turn it up as much as they want without risk of damaging the audio equipment (or their ears).
This amp features a handy stereo/mono switch. In stereo mode, it can drive A and B speaker pairs, such as in your main room or in a second zone. In mono mode, it can drive four speakers at the same time in a large room or outdoor space, all playing the same mono signal. And there's a stereo RCA loop output that lets you daisy chain additional amplifiers.
The amp has two mono RCA outputs, one full-range, and another with an 80 Hz low-pass filter for connecting to a powered subwoofer. If you're using the ZoneMaster 2 to power passive subwoofers, there's an 80 Hz crossover switch that affects only the speaker outputs.
- 120 watts per channel into 8 ohms (20-20,000 Hz) at 0.05% THD with 2 channels driven
- 150 watts per channel into 4 ohms or 2 ohms
- 2-ohm stable design enables it to drive multiple speakers
- frequency response: 20-20,000 Hz (+0/-0.25dB)
- signal-to-noise ratio: 112 dB
- right and left level knobs
- unbalanced stereo RCA input
- four-pin Phoenix-style Euroblock speaker-level input for integrating with audio systems that don't have a line-level output
- stereo RCA loop output lets you daisy-chain additional amplifiers
- dual mono RCA outputs
- one full range mono output for subwoofer or mono listening area
- one subwoofer only mono output (low pass filter <80 Hz)
- 2 four-pin Euroblock speaker connectors
- mono/stereo mode switch
- switchable 80 Hz low pass filter for use with passive subwoofers (does not affect RCA output)
- three-position turn-on switch: manual, signal sensing, or 12-volt trigger
- optional rack mount kit available
- detachable power cord
Dimensions and warranty:
- 8-5/8"W x 2-1/16"H x 11-9/16"D (half-rack space, 1U rack height)
- weight: 4.3 lbs.
- warranty: 3 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # ZM 2
What's in the box:
- Stereo power amplifier
- 6' AC power cord
- 6' Mono-minijack cable
- Owner's Guide
More details on the Parasound ZoneMaster 2
Features & specs
|Number of Channels||2|
|Power Output per Channel (8 ohms)||120|
|Power Output per Channel (6 ohms)||---|
|Power Output per Channel (4 ohms)||150|
|Bridged Power per Channel||0 watts|
|Parts Warranty||3 Years|
|Labor Warranty||3 Years|
|Inputs & Outputs|
|Number of Inputs||2|
|Removable Power Cord||IEC 3-prong|
2-Channel Zone Amplifier: The Parasound ZoneMaster 2 amplifier features a total of two channel inputs that are grouped into a single zone with A & B outputs for a total connection of four speakers. The ability of the ZoneMaster 2 to drive two pair of speakers is credited to Parasound's 2 ohm stable high-current design.
- 8 Ohms: 120 watts x 2 channels @ 20-20kHz with 0.05% THD (all channels driven)
- 4 or 2 Ohms: 150 watts x 2 channels @ 20-20kHz with 0.05% THD (all channels driven)
Operating Modes: The rear-panel Mode switch determines if the ZoneMaster 2 amplifier will output audio in stereo or mono. The Mono Mode is particularly useful for applications such as bathrooms and hallways where mono speakers and a single speaker wire are more practical or could sound better.
- Stereo: The Stereo setting routes the Left channel input to the Left channel speaker outputs and the right channel input to the Right channel speaker outputs.
- Mono: The Mono setting combines the Left and Right channel inputs into a summed L+R mono signal and routes it to both the Left and Right channel speaker outputs. In the Mono mode you can connect two mono speakers to the A output, one speaker connects to the L+ and L- and the other speaker connects to the R+ and R- terminals. An additional two mono speakers can be connected to the B output terminals. All speakers will play the same Mono signal.
Analog Inputs: The Parasound ZoneMaster 2 amplifier is equipped with on stereo RCA line level input and one stereo speaker level input.
- Line Level Input: The stereo RCA line level input connect to the Left and Right output jacks on your preamp, whole-house audio controller, or the zone outputs of your AV receiver.
- Speaker Level Input: The speaker level input enables the ZoneMaster 2 to connect to any audio receiver or stereo system, even if it lacks preamp output jacks. This is a high impedance input that can connect to the speaker terminals of practically any receiver or amplifier. This will not reduce the output power or degrade the sound quality of the speakers that are already connected directly to the "host" receiver or amplifier. Speaker level audio is converted to line level and routed to the amplifier's Loop Out jacks which provide a line level output to drive additional amplifiers.
Analog Outputs: The Parasound ZoneMaster 2 amplifier is outfitted with a stereo loop output, a full-range mono output, and a low-pass sub output.
- Stereo Loop Out: These stereo RCA jacks enable the audio source to pass along or "daisy-chain" to and additional amplifier. Audio from the line level and speaker level inputs are routed to the Loop Out jacks.
- Full Range Mono Out: This is a full range mono-RCA output that combines the Left and Right channel inputs into a summed L+R mono signal. This is useful for connecting a powered subwoofer that has its own built-in crossover. It can also be used for connecting an additional amplifier in mono applications.
- Low Pass Sub Out: This mono-RCA subwoofer output is used to connect a powered subwoofer without its own built-in crossover. The sub output combines the left and right inputs into a summed L+R mono signal. The low pass crossover can be set to 80Hz with an 18dB per octave slope, or it can be set to full-range.
A & B Speaker Outputs: The ZoneMaster 4 is equipped with connections for two speakers on each input channel (labeled "A" and "B"). This unique feature gives installers greater flexibility and can usually avoid the added expense, complexity, heat and power consumption of additional amplifiers. The minimum speaker load impedance is 2 ohms per channel.
- Detach the green speaker output connecting blocks by pulling them away from the ZoneMaster 2's rear-panel. This makes attaching speaker wires more convenient.
- The speaker connector blocks accept bare wires as large as 12AWG. The ends of the wires should be twisted tightly and/or lightly tinned with solder to prevent stray wire strands from short circuiting the amplifier.
- The speaker connector blocks do not support banana plugs or other connectors of any kind.
Channel Level Controls: Each channel of the ZoneMaster 2 amp has its own Level control. Fully counter-clockwise is full attenuation and no sound will be heard from that channel. Fully clockwise is maximum volume. The Level control shafts are very short, so they are less likely to be turned unintentionally. When installed in a rack you may find it easier to use a Phillips head screwdriver to adjust the Level controls.
Turn-On Options: The Turn On Options Switch determines whether both Zones turn on and off together or if each Zone turns on and off individually. There are three positions for this switch - Manual, Audio, or 12V.
- Manual: In Manual Turn-On mode, the ZoneMaster 2 must be turned on and off manually by pressing the Power button on its front-panel every time you wish to use your audio system.
- Audio: In Audio Turn-On mode, the ZoneMaster 2 will be turned on automatically when an audio signal is present at the L or R Input jacks. After the audio signal ceases, the amplifier will remain on for approximately 6 minutes before shutting off. This prevents unintended turn-off during pauses in your music or movies. The audio sensing circuit functions the same way whether you are using the Line Input jacks or the Speaker Level Input.
- 12V: In 12V Turn-On mode, the ZoneMaster 2 is turned on and off only when a +9 V to +12 V voltage signal is applied to the amplifier's 12V In jack from your preamp, AV Receiver or whole house controller. When the external voltage ceases, the amp will turn off within a few seconds.
12V Loop Output: The Trigger Out jack letss you loop or daisy-chain the incoming trigger voltage from one Zone to another Zone or from one Zone to an additional amplifier.
Optional Rack-Mount Kit: The optional Parasound ZRK rack mount kit (see Accessores Tab) allows you to mount a single ZoneMaster 2 or two ZoneMaster amplifiers in a 1U rack-space of a standard 19" equipment rack.
1 question already asked