About the Wharfedale EVO4.3
A floor-standing speaker that looks as good as it sounds
A floor-standing speaker that looks as good as it sounds
I like that Wharfedale's EVO4.3 tower speaker is built to sound great and also look so beautiful. Its gracefully curved cabinet houses an advanced three-way driver design for dynamic, nuanced sound from movies, TV, and music. Use a pair to create a music lover's two-channel setup, or as the front speakers in an immersive home theater surround sound system.
My hands-on experience with Wharfedale EVO4.3 speakers
Here at Crutchfield, we like to get hands-on and ears-on with as much gear as we possibly can. To that end, we set up a demo system in our training room that featured a pair of Wharfedale EVO4.3 speakers, powered by a Rotel RA-1572 MkII integrated amplifier. Our primary music source was a Marantz SACD 30n SACD/CD player with network features. We made the system available to Crutchfield employees so they could listen and form their own impressions.
I had two immediate takeaways from my own time listening to the Wharfedales. First, I've always loved the sound of an AMT tweeter, and listening to these speakers just reinforced that love. I have enjoyed the smoky voice of singer Cassandra Wilson for decades, and when I listened to selections from her album Blue Light 'til Dawn — streamed in high-resolution via TIDAL — I got some of the same goosebumps I felt the last time I heard her sing live.
My second note calls for a little patience. To truly experience the airy, open soundstage these speakers are capable of, give them some break-in time. As we listened to them over the course of a couple of days, there was a discernible loosening and deepening of the lower-end frequencies. We left music playing as often as we could, and we were rewarded with the emergence of the accurate, lifelike sound we've come to expect from Wharfedale speakers.
And another personal note: these speakers are compact in comparison to other floor-standing models. At just over 34 inches tall, they're capable of fitting into smaller spaces — they wouldn't be overkill for the living room of my two-bedroom apartment, where space is at a bit of a premium. If you're in a similar situation, give these some consideration alongside your favorite bookshelf/stand mount speakers.
Wharfedale's EVO4 lineup uses technology and design elements developed for the company's flagship Elysian line. The 4.3 features an advanced folded ribbon tweeter that produces silky-smooth high frequencies, plus a dedicated 2" soft-dome midrange driver. Two 5" woven Kevlar woofers offer thrilling bass response down to 48 Hz. The drivers are housed in a sculpted bass-reflex cabinet that's reinforced with internal bracing to damp sound-muddying vibrations.
Part of a complete home theater system
Combine the EVO4.3 with other models from Wharfedale's EVO4 Series for voice-matched sound:
Center channel: Wharfedale EVO4.C
Surround speakers: Wharfedale EVO4.S
- 3-way design
- Air Motion Transformer (AMT) tweeter
- 2" soft-dome midrange
- two 5" woven Kevlar woofers
- frequency response: 42-22,000 Hz (±3dB)
- recommended amplifier power: 25-150 watts
- sensitivity: 89 dB
- nominal impedance: 8 ohms compatible
- bass reflex design with port on the underside of the enclosure
- two sets of binding post speaker terminals allow bi-amping or bi-wiring
- removable magnetic grille
Dimensions and warranty:
- 9-1/4"W x 34-1/2"H x 13-1/4"D
- weight: 50.25 lbs.
- warranty: 5 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # WHEVO43BLK
What's in the box:
- Floorstanding loudspeaker
- 4 Outrigger feet (pre-installed)
- 4 Spikes (pre-installed)
- 4 Isolation pucks
- 2 Jumper-bars (pre-installed)
- Pair of white cloth gloves
- User Manual
More details on the Wharfedale EVO4.3
Features & specs
|Tweeter Size (inches)||1.1875 x 2.375|
|Midrange Size (inches)||2|
|Woofer Size (inches)||5|
|Built-in Powered Sub||No|
|Dolby Atmos Drivers||No|
|Connector Type||Binding post|
|Parts Warranty||5 Years|
|Labor Warranty||5 Years|
|Frequency Response||42-22k Hz|
|Subwoofer Amp Power||---|
AMT (Air Motion Transformer) Transducer: The Wharfedale EVO 4.3 floorstanding loudspeaker employs a specially engineered 1.1875" x 2.375" AMT (Air Motion Transformer) transducer for its proprietary, silky smooth high frequency reproduction. By design, the AMT allows for a higher volume of air to be moved during performance than with a convention soft dome tweeter. This higher-pressure action, encouraged by the principles of AMT design, offers an improved point-source HF reproduction with lower distortion properties than conventional tweeters. This is evident in the stunning and sheer clarity of the musical performance of all of the EVO 4.3 floorstanding loudspeaker.
Soft-Dome Midrange: The Wharfedale EVO 4.3 features a 3-way driver design and incorporates a 2" soft-dome midrange to go along with its AMT high-frequency transducer and Kevlar cone woofer. The 2" soft-dome midrange driver delivers precise and detailed midrange reproduction with a wide dispersion and open soundstage.
Dual Kevlar Woofers: Articulate and accurate bass is perfected by the EVO 4.3's two bi-directional weaved Kevlar cone 5" woofers. Kevlar is a material that is naturally self-damping to reduce and distribute resonances to virtually negligible levels. In addition, a fixed, profiled phase plug ensures smooth acoustic roll off, further aiding integration with the loudspeaker's AMT high-frequency transducer and soft-dome midrange driver.
Optimized Crossover Network: The output of the tweeter, midrange and and woofers is carefully combined by a thoroughly researched crossover developed using Wharfedale's Computer Aided Optimization technology. Each crossover is carefully evaluated using a wide range of music, with the emphasis being on the lifelike reproduction of voices and instruments in addition to the dynamics of the musical performance.
Purpose-Built Cabinet Design: The Wharfedale EVO 4.3's cabinet is purpose-designed from the ground-up to ensure sonic character and great looking aesthetics. The cabinet is constructed of high quality materials and composites with internal damping and bracing. The curved design of the cabinet accurately disperses sound from the drivers into your listening room and prevents standing waves inside the enclosure which can color and muddy the sound. The cabinet is available in a black, white, and walnut wood-grain finish. It comes with an acoustically transparent cloth grille that magnetically attaches to the front of the speaker cabinet.
Slot-Loaded Distributed Port Design: The EVO 4.3 utilizes a slot-loaded distributed port design, where the internal port tube opens into a slot formed between the speaker cabinet and the plinth. This reduces the turbulence and audible "chuffing" suffered by conventional ported systems, which is caused by the sudden out-rush of high-pressure air into the low pressure in the room. A further benefit is the increased efficiency of energy transfer from the bass reflex tuning to the room. Both ends of the port feature a semi-parabolic entry and exit curve that control airflow through the port tube and allow increased air volume in the slot-loaded system for further improvement in the loudspeaker's low-frequency output performance.
Dual Binding Posts: The EVO 4.3 floorstanding speaker has two sets of binding posts connected by jumper-plates. The binding posts will accept bare wire (up to 10AWG), pin connectors, spade connectors, & banana plugs (single only). Using these dual binding posts, you can bi-amp or bi-wire the speakers. Bi-wiring or bi-amping the speaker provides improved bass & treble performance.
- Bi-Wiring: Bi-wiring can provide noticeable improvements in the overall transparency of your loudspeakers. Run separate speaker wires to the low & high frequency drivers from a single amplifier (the upper set of binding posts are for the high frequency drivers; the lower set of binding posts are for the low frequency drivers).
- Bi-Amping: Bi-amping allows you to use separate amplifiers for the high & low frequency sections of your loudspeaker for greater dynamic range & lower distortion. We recommend that your separate amplifiers have identical gain to preserve the speaker's voicing balance.
Note: If you decide to bi-wire or bi-amp, you must remove the jumpers between the terminal posts (failure to do this could result in damage to your amplifier and loudspeakers).
Applications: The Wharfedale EVO 4.3 floorstanding loudspeaker is a great choice for 2ch stereo music listening, as well as home theater enjoyment.
- 2Ch Stereo Placement: The EVO 4.3 can be utilized in a 2ch stereo music application. Try to position the loudspeakers equidistant (6.5' to 13') from one another and the main listening position. The speakers should be "toed" or angled (15° to 40°) into the main listening position.
- Home Theater Placement: The EVO 4.3 can be used as front and/or surround speakers in a home theater application. When used as front speakers, they should be placed equal distant on either side of the television screen (6.5' to 13' apart). The front speakers should be angled (22° to 30°) slightly so they are aimed towards the main listening position. When used as surround speakers, they should be placed behind the main listening position at an angle (135° to 150°) or to the side of the main listening position at an angle (90° to 110°).
Spike Feet & Isolation Pucks: The Wharfedale EVO 4.3 floorstanding loudspeaker features pre-installed outrigger feet and spikes for carpet installations. Isolation pucks with foam padding are included to protect your hardwood, tile, laminate, and vinyl flooring. The spike feet can be placed directly on carpet or set in the isolation pucks to protect hardwood, tile, and laminate, and vinyl flooring. The isolation pucks add approximately 0.25" to the overall height of the speaker.
- The loudspeakers should be positioned 6.5' to 13' apart and create an equilateral triangle with the main listening position. The speakers should also be "toed" or angled (15° to 40°) into the main listening position.
- Position the speakers at least 7.875" from the rear walls and 2.25' from the side walls. Bass extension will increase with the speakers positioned closer to the wall, but this may also cause the bass to sound too boomy or indistinct.
- If the loudspeakers are placed away from the walls, the inward angle may be increased by up to 40%, although this may restrict the width of the optimum listening position.
Note: The Wharfedale EVO 4.3 floorstanding loudspeaker should always be used with the outrigger feet and spikes installed (do not remove) for optimum sound performance and maximum stability. Make sure to use the isolation pucks to protect your hardwood, tile, and laminate, and vinyl floors.
EVO4 Series: Following the concept of the best-selling EVO series from Wharfedale that came before it, the EVO4 fuses the EVO concept of great sound and beautiful aesthetics with trickle down technology from the new flagship Wharfedale ELYSIAN series. From the cabinet design to the materials employed in its distinct driver design, the EVO4 sounds and looks amazing. The EVO4 Series consists of two floorstanding loudspeakers (EVO 4.4 / EVO 4.3), two bookshelf loudspeakers (EVO 4.2 / EVO 4.1), two center-channel loudspeaker (EVO 4.C / EVO 4.CS), and one surround loudspeaker (EVO 4.S).
3 questions already asked