About the Alpine CDE-141
App Direct Mode opens up more music
App Direct Mode opens up more music
If you've got an iPhone®, you know that the music you've stored on it is only part of the story — streaming apps let you tune into a plethora of music and other programs. Alpine's CDE-141 CD receiver features App Direct Mode, giving you access to select music apps, so you can tune in and enjoy this content. App Direct Mode offers limited control over your apps and displays metadata so you'll know at a glance the name of song and the artist that's playing.
Great for your stored iPod® and iPhone® content too
Of course, you can also use the CDE-141's controls to navigate your iPod's music library, thanks to a convenient front-panel USB input — just plug in your device and get ready to groove. Alpine's rotary encoder makes really easy to find your favorite songs, albums, artists, or playlists quickly. Your copilots will love Passenger Control Mode, which lets them play DJ while you focus on driving.
Intelligent layout and user-friendly controls are an Alpine trademark.
Control and expand your system
A powerful internal amp gives you plenty of headroom to turn up the volume without the sound getting distorted and harsh. You can adjust the overall tone to taste with the 3-band parametric EQ, which allows you to choose the centerpoint for your bass, midrange, and treble controls.
If you want to take performance up another notch, you can plug Alpine's KTP-445A Power Pack directly into to the CDE-141. This plug-and-play powerhouse kicks up the output to a robust 45 watts RMS per channel, but it requires almost no wiring and takes up very little space. If you want to bring on the bass, this Alpine also features two sets of RCA preamp outputs, perfect for adding a powered sub or an amp.
Note: If you're going to use your iPod with this receiver, be sure to check "Details" for specific iPod model compatibility with this receiver.
- CD receiver with AM/FM tuner
- built-in MOSFET amplifier (18 watts RMS CEA-2006/50 peak x 4 channels)
- App Direct Mode offers basic control of many streaming music apps
- plays CDs loaded with MP3 and WMA files
- remote control ready
- 3-band parametric equalizer with ten presets
- high- and low-pass filters, subwoofer phase switch
- iPod direct control via USB input — no adapter necessary, but adding Alpine's optional cable lets you leave your iPod cable at home
- inputs: front USB and auxiliary inputs
- outputs: 4-channel preamp outputs (2-volt front, rear/subwoofer)
Other features and specs:
What's in the box:
- CD receiver (10A ATC fuse inserted in chassis)
- Sleeve (installed)
- Trim ring (installed)
- Face (attached)
- Wiring harness
- 4 Flat-head ISO-DIN screws (M5 x 8mm)
- Face fixing screw
- 2 Radio removal tools
- Owner's Manual CD-ROM
- Quick Reference Guide (En/Fr/Sp)
- Online Product Registration
- Computer Requirements booklet
More details on the Alpine CDE-141
Features & specs
|Backup Camera Input||No|
|Second Camera Input||No|
|Alexa Voice Control|
|Memory Card Slot||USB memory|
|Satellite Radio Ready||No|
|RMS Power (CTA-2006)||18 watts|
|RMS Power (Manufacturer)||---|
|Peak Output||50 watts|
|RMS Power Bandwidth||20-20kHz|
|Sub Preamp Outputs||No|
|Switchable Rear Preamp Outputs||Yes|
|Navigation App Compatible (iOS)|
|Navigation App Compatible (Android)|
|Preamp Voltage||2 volts|
|Key Button Color||Red/Blue|
|Steering Wheel Control Compatible||No|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
|FM Sensitivity||9.3 dBf|
|Radio Data System||No|
|Music File Playback||MP3, WMA|
iPod/iPhone USB 1-Wire Connection: You can connect your iPod or iPhone to the head unit's front-panel USB port using the Alpine KCU-445i iPod/iPhone cable (500KCU445I, sold separately) or the iPod dock-connector cable that came with your iPod/iPhone to get access to all of your iPod/iPhone's stored music, right from the head unit. If you have an iPod nano (7th gen), iPod touch (5th gen), or iPhone 5/5C/5S; use the Lighting-to-USB cable that came with your Apple device to connect to the head unit. Using either cable allows audio playback, music navigation, information display, and charging of select iPod/iPhone models from the CDE-141.
- Audio Playback w/ DAC Bypass: The Alpine CDE-141 supports audio playback of music, podcast, and audiobook files stored on your iPod or iPhone; as well as music apps downloaded on your Apple device. The USB connection allows your iPod/iPhone's large music libraries to be loaded instantly to the Alpine head unit and sound quality to be maximized through the head unit's 1-bit D/A converter, allowing for a Signal to Noise ratio up to 105dB.
- Music Navigation: You can choose to control the
iPod/iPhone from the head unit or from your iPod/iPhone's clickwheel or
touchscreen (App Direct Mode).
- Head Unit: The Alpine CDE-141 lets you navigate the stored music on your iPod/iPhone by Playlist, Artist, Album, Song, Genre, Composer, Podcast, or Audiobook. You can then search these categories alphabetically. For especially big music libraries, the Percentage Search function uses the preset buttons for quick jumps to specific parts of the list (Preset 1: 0-6%, Preset 2: 17-32%, Preset 3: 33-49%, Preset 4: 50%-66%, Preset 5: 67-82%, Preset 6: 83-100% of the song library). The head unit also offers three Shuffle playback modes (Album/Song/All) and one Repeat mode (song).
- App Direct Mode: In App Direct Mode, you can navigate the stored music on your iPod/iPhone from its clickwheel or touchscreen. You can also listen to your favorite music apps (such as Pandora, iHeartRadio, SiriusXM, Last.fm, Rhapsody, & Slacker) from your iPhone (iOS 3.0+) through the Alpine head unit. Basic playback functions, such as Play/Pause and Previous/Next Track are available from the head unit. You will continue to use your iPhone's touchscreen to navigate advanced functions of your music apps. Not all apps will be compatible with this mode. Access to your iPhone's downloaded applications will depend on the availability of a cellular and/or WiFi network for purposes of allowing your iPhone to connect to the Internet.
- Information Display: The CDE-141 will display your iPod/iPhone's music file information when you are controlling your iPod/iPhone from the Alpine head unit or the Apple devices clickwheel/touchscreen. The head unit will display Track number, Elapsed playing time, Artist name, Song title, and Album label. In App Direct Mode, the unit will also display song/artist information from select music apps.
- iPod/iPhone Charging: While connected and the ignition switch is set to ACC or ON, the head unit's USB connection will power and charge your iPod/iPhone. If your iPod/iPhone has no initial battery charge, then the unit will not recognize it. This unit does not charge the iPad.
iPod/iPhone Compatibility Chart: The Alpine CDE-141 is "Made for iPod/iPhone" compatible and supports the following iPod/iPhone model features (as of 9/19/2013):
|Apple Device||Generation||Tested Version||Media Type||Control Type||Display Type||Charge|
|Audio||Video||Head Unit||iPod/App||Artist/Song Text||Track Info|
Note: Apple iPod/iPhone software updates may change functionality results. If you download a newer software version, you may need to reset the head unit and your iPod/iPhone to regain functionality. If this doesn't work, you may need to wait until a newer software update is available.
Auxiliary Input: The unit is equipped with front-panel minijack (3.5mm) auxiliary input. You can input audio from an auxiliary source unit: such as a portable MP3 player. You can change the name on the display to match the type of device connected to the front panel input; Auxiliary, TV, DVD, Portable, or Game.
Disc Compatibility: The unit features a single disc player that will playback CD-Audio, CD-Text, and finalized CD-R/CD-RW audio discs. The unit also supports playback of MP3/WMA music files loaded onto CD-R/RW discs.
Front-Panel USB Port: The Alpine CDE-141 features a front-panel USB (type-A) port that is hidden behind a flip-out cover. The USB port enables connection of a portable USB mass-storage class (MSC) device; such as select Android smartphones (Froyo/Gingerbread OS only), portable digital audio players, or USB thumbdrives. The USB port supports audio playback and control of MP3/WMA audio files stored on these portable USB mass-storage class devices. USB portable audio players that can be charged via USB will be charged when plugged into the CD receiver's USB port (max. 1A), and the vehicle's ignition switch is set to ACC or On. You cannot connect a USB device via a USB hub or Multi-Card Reader to this unit.
MP3/WMA Playback: The Alpine CDE-141 supports the following types of MP3/WMA files recorded onto CD-R/RW disc or loaded onto a USB mass storage class device.
|Media Type||CD-R/RW||USB Storage Device|
|File System||ISO9660 Level 1/Level 2||FAT 16/32|
|Playable File Types|| MP3:
bit rate of 8-320 kbps w/ sampling rate of 8, 11.025, 12, 16, 22.05,
24, 32, 44.1, 48 kHz |
WMA: bit rate of 32-192 kbps w/ sampling rate of 32, 44.1, 48 kHz
|Maximum # of Folders/Files||255 folders/509 files||100 folders/100 files per folder|
|Tags||ID3 tags (ver.1.0/1.1/2.2/2.3/2.4), WMA tags|
Text/File/Folder Search: When you are playing a disc or USB device with CD-Text, ID3 or WMA tags, you can easily search for a track, file, or folder by its title. Once you have activated the search mode, you can use the rotary encoder to quickly scan through the titles to locate the desired track. For discs and USB devices without CD Text, ID3 or WMA tags, searches are made using the track numbers associated with each song.
Playback Modes: The Alpine CDE-141 offers Repeat and Random playback modes.
- Repeat: Repeat Play (repeats playback of current track/file), Folder Repeat (repeats only files in current folder).
- Random: Random Play (all tracks/files on disc are played in random order), Folder Random (only files in current folder are played back in random order).
Off Insert/Eject: A CD disc can be inserted or ejected with the power off. When a disc is inserted with the power off, the unit will automatically power up and begin playback.
Auto Reload: When a CD is ejected and left sticking out of the CD slot for 20 seconds, the unit automatically reloads the CD to protect if from damage.
Angle Mounting: For proper CD playback, Alpine recommends mounting the CDE-141 no more that 35° above horizontal.
AM/FM Tuner: The Alpine CDE-141 features a built-in AM/FM tuner with manual, seek, and preset tuning.
Preset Tuning: The built-in tuner provides 12 FM and 6 AM preset stations. Stations can be preset manually or automatically.
Local/Distance Tuning: Local seek tuning lets you tune in only those radio stations with sufficiently strong signals for good reception. Distance seek tuning allows both strong and weak stations to be tuned.
CEA-2006 Compliant: The specifications given by Alpine for the built-in amplifier comply with the CEA-2006 mobile amplifier power testing and measurement standards from the CEA (Consumer Electronics Association). All manufacturers who comply with the standard can display the CEA-2006 logo on their product.
- CEA-2006 Power Rating: 18 watts x 4 channels (at 4 ohms, 20-20kHz, 1% THD)
- Max Power Output: 50 watts x 4 channels
4ch/2V Preamp Outputs: The Alpine CDE-141 features two pair of 2.0-volt preamp outputs. The unit's rear preamp outputs can be configured as fading rear-channel outputs or a non-fading subwoofer outputs with a low-pass filter, phase adjustment, and output level control.
Note: When an external amplifier is connected sound quality can be improved by stopping the power supply of the built-in amplifier.
Head Unit Power Pack (optional): Add the KTP-445A (500KTP445A, sold separately) Head Unit Power Pack to deliver 45 watts x 4-channel RMS of power. The KTP-445A is compact enough to install behind the Alpine CD receiver. It plugs in-line with the head unit's wiring harness, so you don't even need additional wires.
Subwoofer Control: When the non-fading subwoofer preamp output is activated, you can adjust the subwoofer's volume, low-pass filter, & phase.
- Volume: There are two volume (system) modes for the
unit's subwoofer output.
- System 1: Subwoofer level changes according to the main volume setting.
- System 2: Subwoofer level change is different from the main volume setting (0-15); even at low volume settings, the subwoofer is still audible.
- Low Pass Filter: The unit's subwoofer output low-pass filter can be set to 60Hz, 80Hz, 120Hz, 160Hz, or Off (through).
- Subwoofer Phase: The subwoofer output phase can be set to Normal (0°) or Reverse (180°).
High Pass Filter: The Alpine head unit is equipped with a high-pass filter for its speaker-level output and front-channel preamp output (when activated). You can set the unit's high-pass filter to 60Hz, 80Hz, 120Hz, 160Hz, or Off (through).
Preset EQ: You can select from 11 different EQ presets to get the best sound from all your sources. You can choose from Flat, Pops, Rock, News, Jazz, Electric Dance, Hip-Hop, Easy Listening, Country, Classical, or User.
3-Band Parametric Equalizer: The User Preset activates the head unit's 3-Band Parametric Equalizer for a better sound response curve. Bass, Mid, & Treble can be adjusted in the 3-Band Parametric mode.
|Bass||60Hz, 80Hz, 100Hz, or 120Hz||Wide 0.5, Medium 1.0, Medium 1.5, or Narrow. 2.0||-7 to +7 (+/-14dB in 2dB steps)|
|Midrange||500Hz, 1.0kHz, 1.5kHz, or 2.5kHz||Wide 0.75, Medium 1.0, Medium 1.25, or Narrow 1.5||-7 to +7 (+/-14dB in 2dB steps)|
|Treble||7.5kHz, 10kHz, 12.5kHz, or 15kHz||Wide 0.75 or Narrow 1.25||-7 to +7 (+/-14dB in 2dB steps)|
Note: The units stores independent EQ settings for each source (Disc, Tuner, Aux, USB, and iPod).
Loudness: Loudness introduces a special low and high frequency emphasis at low listening levels to compensate for the ear's decreased sensitivity to bass and treble sound at low volume. T
Source Volume Level: The output level of each source is individually adjustable from -14 to + 14 dB.
Detachable Face: The unit features a single front loading CD face that detaches from the chassis to deter theft. The unit does not included a face case. An optional soft face case (142DFC1X, sold separately) can be purchased for this unit. A face-fixing screw is supplied for making the face non-detachable, if desired.
1-Line LCD Display: This unit is equipped with a 1-Line white-backlit LCD, so you can easily view AM/FM stations, CD-Text, and ID-3/WMA tag information.
Text Display: Text information, such as the disc name and the track name, will be displayed if playing a CD text compatible disc. It is also possible to display the folder name, the file name, and the tag information, while playing a MP3/WMA disc.
Text Scroll: This unit can scroll the disc and track names recorded on CD-Text disc, as well as the text information of MP3/WMA files, folder names, and tags. There are two Text Scroll settings.
- Auto: The CD text information, the information of folder and file names, and the tags are scrolled automatically.
- Manual: The display is scrolled when a disc is loaded or when a track is changed.
Favorite: You can set a favorite source (USB/AM/FM1/FM2/AUX/DISC) to the head unit's "FAV" button, so you can access that particular source directly.
Auto Dimmer: This unit is equipped with an illumination lead (orange); when the unit's dimmer mode is set to Auto and the illumination lead is connected to your vehicle's headlight circuit, the display and button illumination will dim to a fixed, preset level whenever the headlights are turned on. If preferred, you may choose the Manual dimmer mode setting, so the display and button illumination is dim at all times.
Optional Wireless Remote: The Alpine CDE-141 is wireless remote control ready. Simply add on the Alpine RUE-4202 IR remote (500RUE4202, sold separately) to make it even easier to control the head unit's functions.