About the Alpine ILX-W650
A powerful combo
A powerful combo
There are a lot of solid receivers out there that give you Apple CarPlay and Android Auto, built-in Bluetooth®, and SiriusXM connectivity. Very, very few, however, boast the shallow chassis of Alpine's iLX-W650 (only 2-13/16" deep), making it a great candidate for a smooth installation in many "problem vehicles." And none are designed to fit perfectly with Alpine's KTA-450 power pack amplifier, a compact amp that packs an impressive 50 watts RMS by 4 channels. When secured together using Alpine's Power Stack installation gear, the iLX-W650 and amp are still less than 5" deep. If space is a commodity and you're thinking about building a system with more power, Alpine has the solution.
Built for the best smartphone experience
Your iPhone® or Android™ phone is your hub for music, maps, and communication, and Alpine brings that familiar experience to your dash with built-in Apple CarPlay™ and Android Auto™. Access the apps you need without getting distracted, and the 7" capacitive touchscreen works just like a tablet, so you'll feel right at home. And Alpine has enhanced the touchscreen experience with swipe control over volume, track-skipping, and more.
Streamlined control for driving
CarPlay and Android Auto make important functions easy to control with large, familiar app icons that you can find immediately when you need them. Other info appears on the screen in big, easy-to-read text on a clean, clutter-free background. You can also activate apps with voice commands, using the external microphone that's included with the receiver. You can make calls, compose texts, select tunes, and start navigation without taking your hands off the wheel or your eyes off the road.
Lots of entertainment
With a wired connection to your smartphone via the receiver's rear USB, you can browse through your phone's FLAC music files for playlists, songs, artists, and albums. And the iLX-W650 is SiriusXM-ready, so you can add a satellite radio tuner and enjoy your favorite music, sports, entertainment, and more anywhere you go.
Use the 9-band parametric equalizer and 6-channel time-correction tools to maximize the audio signal sent to the powerful built-in amplifier. Three sets of 4-volt preamp outputs deliver an ultra-clean signal for adding additional amps for more power.
Get where you're going
If you need directions, launch your maps app using Apple CarPlay or Android Auto to find out how to reach the coolest new spot in town. Just touch the convenient "voice" button on the receiver and ask. Your phone will handle the turn-by-turn directions, and the big capacitive touchscreen allows you to pinch-to-zoom the map display. You'll be able to pinpoint exactly where you need to be and, if need be, find a place to park.
Front- and rear-view, too
With two camera inputs, you can also install front- and rear-view cameras and use the receiver's built-in parking guides to back up safely in any crowded lot.
Smartphone note: If you're going to use your iPod or smartphone with this receiver, be sure to check "Details" for compatibility information.
You'll need a wired connection to your parking brake to access settings and other features on this receiver. Your parking brake must be connected and set in order to view video on its screen.
Some states and localities prohibit or restrict the use of video and information displays in vehicles – it is your responsibility to see if any restrictions or prohibitions apply in your area.
- digital media receiver with AM/FM tuner (does not play CDs)
- shallow-mount chassis design (2-13/16" deep)
- designed to pair with Alpine's KTA-450 power pack amplifier
- touchscreen swipe controls
- designed to work with Apple CarPlay and Android Auto
- hands-free control lets you access apps using your voice
- built-in Bluetooth connectivity
- USB port accommodates various devices and thumb drives
- FLAC compatible
- 7" capacitive touchscreen
- designed to work with Apple CarPlay and Android Auto
- built-in iPhone control
- Siri Eyes Free Control; works with Google Assistant
- inputs: rear USB port, two camera inputs
- works with SiriusXM satellite radio tuner (not included)
- outputs: 6-channel preamp outputs (4-volt front, rear, subwoofer)
Other Features and Specs:
- wired connection to parking brake required to access settings, video display, and other features on this receiver (the parking brake must be connected and set, released, and set again)
- compatible with most factory steering wheel audio controls (adapter required)
- external microphone included
- built-in amplifier (16 watts RMS/40 peak x 4 channels)
- CTA-2006 compliant
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # ILX-W650
What's in the box:
- Digital media receiver
- Wiring harness (15A fuse)
- Preout/Camera harness
- 42" USB extension cable
- Microphone (attached 13' cable terminated by a male 3.5mm stereo connector)
- Bracket (for microphone)
- 4 ISO-screws
- Quick Reference Guide
- Registration Card
More details on the Alpine ILX-W650
Features & specs
|Backup Camera Input||Yes|
|Second Camera Input||Yes|
|Memory Card Slot||USB memory|
|Satellite Radio Ready||SiriusXM|
|RMS Power (CTA-2006)||16 watts|
|RMS Power (Manufacturer)||16 watts|
|Peak Output||45 watts|
|RMS Power Bandwidth||20-20kHz|
|Sub Preamp Outputs||Yes|
|Switchable Rear Preamp Outputs||No|
|Navigation App Compatible (iOS)||Apple, Google, Waze|
|Navigation App Compatible (Android)||Google, Waze|
|Preamp Voltage||4 volts|
|Key Button Color||White|
|Steering Wheel Control Compatible||Adapter required|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
|FM Sensitivity||9.3 dBf|
|Radio Data System||No|
|Music File Playback||MP3, WMA, AAC, FLAC, WAV|
Apple CarPlay: Apple CarPlay is a smarter, safer in-vehicle interface to operate your iPhone 5S or later (iOS 11.0+) with Lightning-connector. Your iPhone will need to be connected to the Alpine receiver's rear-panel USB port via the included USB extension cable and the Lightning-cable that came with your Apple device or an "Apple Certified" Lightning-to-USB cable (sold separately). Apple CarPlay is specially designed for driving scenarios. You can control CarPlay from the Alpine receiver's touchscreen controls or use Siri to control to control CarPlay with just your voice. You'll be able to use CarPlay to get directions, make phone calls, listen to voice mails, send/receive text messages, select music, and even control Apple HomeKit compatible devices in a way that keeps you focused on the road ahead.
- Navigation Maps: The power and simplicity of Apple Maps comes to your dashboard; complete with turn-by-turn direction, traffic conditions, and estimated travel time. You can enter a new destination or choose a favorite or recent destination using the head unit's touchscreen or by simply asking Siri. CarPlay can also predict where you most likely want to go using addresses from your email, text messages, contacts, and calendars. If you have iOS 12.0 or newer on your iPhone with the latest version of Google Maps or Waze, you can choose to navigate via the Google Maps or Waze application instead of Apple Maps. Google Maps and Waze do not support Siri voice control, but will have their own proprietary voice control function which has to be accessed through a touchscreen icon on the receiver.
- Phone & Messages: You'll be able to make calls, return missed calls, and listen to voicemails through the Alpine receiver. Siri can also help you do all these things. In addition, Siri can send, read, and reply to your text messages for you; so you never have to look at your iPhone while driving.
- Music Library: Access your artists, song, playlists, and iTunes Radio on your iPhone using the Alpine receiver's touchscreen. Or, just tell Siri what you'd like to listen to. The head unit's touchscreen will display song/artist information, as well as album art in the background.
- Apps: CarPlay also supports additional audio apps that you've downloaded to your iPhone for enjoying music, radio, sports, news, podcasts, & audiobooks (subscriptions and fees may apply). Control these apps from the head unit's touchscreen just like you would from your iPhone. Current supported apps include:
- Apple HomeKit Compatible: CarPlay now supports control of Apple HomeKit enabled devices (sold separately) through Siri. Using CarPlay in your vehicle, you can ask Siri to close or open your garage door, turn on or off home lighting, increase or decrease the temperature of your thermostat, as well as control select functions of other Apple HomeKit enabled devices and appliances. Click here for a list of compatible Apple HomeKit products.
Note: Bluetooth hands-free phone and wireless music streaming cannot be used while Apple CarPlay is being used with a connected iPhone.
Android Auto: The Alpine iLX-W650 supports the Android Auto app for Android smartphones running OS Lollipop (5.0 or newer). Your compatible Android smartphone must be connected to the Alpine receiver's rear-panel USB port via the included USB extension cable and your phone's USB cable, plus be paired via Bluetooth (your vehicle's parking brake needs to be engaged to initially setup Android Auto). Android Auto extends the Android platform into your car in a way that's purpose-built for driving and automatically brings you useful information and organizes it into a simple on-screen interface that is simple to use in the vehicle. It's designed to minimize distraction so you can stay focused on the road ahead. Features of Android Auto include -
- Google Assistant: The Alpine receiver enhances your Android Auto experience even more by incorporating Google Assistant using the head unit's external microphone and your car speakers for voice command and text-to-speech, which makes using Android Auto and all of its integrated applications fast, easy, and safe. You will need to press the "mic" button or say "OK Google" to activate the Google Assistant. Use the Google Assistant to make a call, send a message, reply to a message, get driving directions, listen to music, or even control select Google Assistant smarthome enabled devices.
- Google & Waze Maps: Use Google Maps to get where you're going with on-screen maps, voice-guided navigation, live traffic information, lane guidance, and more. Select your destination by using the head unit's touchscreen or just say where you want to go through the unit's external mic and Google Speech Technology. You can even listen to music from your Android Auto device or other connected source device while using Google Maps. If you prefer, you can switch over to a simpler version of the community-based Waze navigation app (version 4.27 or higher).
- Phone & SMS: With Android Auto you get access to your contacts and messages through the Alpine receiver while keeping your eyes on the road. Use the unit's external mic and Google Speech Technology to make a phone call, or have your text-messages read aloud to you while you concentrate on the road ahead; you can even reply to texts via voice command.
- Music: Access your Android smartphone's music library through the Alpine receiver via Google Play Music. You'll be able to browse music like you do on your smartphone with song/artist information display and album art. Use the receiver's touchscreen to select songs or just say what song you want to listen to through the head unit's external mic and Google Speech Technology. You also get access to online music and radio stations from Amazon Music, Tidal, Pandora, Spotify, iHeart Radio, SiriusXM, Slacker Radio, Tune-In, and more; as well as news, sports and talk radio apps. Music apps include song and station browsing, plus song/artist information and album art or station logo. Click here for a list of all compatible app for Android Auto.
- Android smartphones with a USB Type-C connector (including the Pixel) may not function without appropriate USB Type-A to USB Type-C cable.
- Bluetooth hands-free phone and wireless music streaming cannot be used while Android Auto is being used with a connected Android smartphone.
- Use a USB cable that is under 6' long and avoid using any extension cable other than the one supplied.
Cellular & Data Plan Requirements: Access to CarPlay and Android Auto apps will depend on the availability of a cellular and/or WiFi network for purposes of allowing your iPhone or Android smartphone to connect to the Internet. Your compatible Apple or Android device will need an active Data Plan account with connection to the Internet via 3G, EDGE, LTE (4G), or WiFi.
Smartphone Charging: The Alpine iLX-W650 will also charge (5V/1A) your Android smartphone or Apple iPod/iPhone device while connected via USB with the vehicle's ignition switch set to the 'ACC' or 'On' position.
USB MSC Playback: In addition to iPhone & Android connectivity, the head unit's rear-panel USB (type-A) port allows you to connect a USB Mass Storage Class (MSC) device; such as a USB thumbdrive.A 42" USB extension cable is included. The unit supports playback and control of a variety of audio, video, and photo files stored on a compatible USB MSC device. USB portable devices that can be charged via USB will be charged when plugged into the digital media receiver's USB port (max. 1A), and the vehicle's ignition switch is set to ACC or On.
|Media Type||USB (Mass Storage Class Device)|
|File System||FAT 16/32|
|Playable File Types||Audio|| |
MP3/WMA/AAC: bit rate of
8-384kbps; sampling rate of 8-48kHz
|Video||MP4/AVI/WMV/MOV: optimum resolution of 96-720 (h) x 96-576 (v)|
|Max # of Files/Folders||10,000 files/folders|
|Song/Artist Info||MP3 ID3 tags, WMA/AAC/FLAC tags, & Album Art|
Note: The USB port does not support MTP or AOA playback for Android devices. The USB port cannot be connected to a USB hub or card-reader.
iPhone Music Playback: If you don't desire Apple CarPlay, you can also connect your Lightning-connector Apple iPhone to the iLX-W650's rear-panel USB port for music playback & control only using the included USB extension cable and Alpine's KCU-471i cable (or the cable that came with your Apple device). The iLX-W650 supports audio playback, music navigation, information display, and charging of your USB-connected Apple device with Lightning connector.
- Head Unit Control: The Alpine iLX-W650 lets you navigate your iPhone's music library by Playlist, Artist, Album, Song, Genre, Composer, Podcast, or Audiobook. You can then search each category alphabetically. The head unit also offers playback functions such a Play/Pause, Previous/Next Track, & Random/Repeat for stored music files. Play/Pause & Previous/Next Track are supported by many music apps too; not all apps will be compatible. Your USB-connected iPhone will remain unlocked, so you can use its touchscreen to access music apps.
- Song/Artist Information: The Alpine in-dash digital media receiver will display your iPhone's stored music file information; such as Track number, Elapsed playing time, Artist name, Song/Album title, as well as Album Art. The unit will also display song/artist information, album art, and station identification from select music apps.
- 1A Charging: The head unit's USB connection provides 1A of current to power and charge your connected iPod/iPhone when your vehicle's ignition switch is set to the 'ACC' or 'On' position (if your iPod/iPhone has no initial battery charge, then the unit will not recognize it).
Note: Make sure to turn off Apple CarPlay on your iPhone device before connecting to the Alpine iLX-W650 when using your iPhone for music playback only.
Apple Device Compatibility Chart: The Alpine iLX-W650 is "Made for iPhone" compatible and supports the following iPhone model features (as of 2/21/2019):
|Apple Device||Generation||Tested Version||Media Type||Control Type||Specific Apps||Display Type||Bluetooth||Charge|
|Audio||Video||Head Unit||iPod/iPhone||CarPlay||Pandora||Album Art||Song/Artist Text||Track Info||Phone||Audio||Siri|
- Not comaptible with older 30-pin Apple devices.
- Apple iPod/iPhone software updates may change functionality results. If you download a newer software version, you may need to reset the head unit and your iPod/iPhone to regain functionality. If this doesn't work, you may need to wait until a newer software update is available.
Bluetooth 4.2: The Alpine iLX-W650 features built-in Bluetooth version 4.2. The head unit's built-in Bluetooth allows you to make and receive phone calls wirelessly through the receiver; as well as stream music wirelessly from your smartphone to the head unit. In order to use Bluetooth wireless technology, your phone must also be Bluetooth compatible and be able to interpret certain profiles. This unit is compatible with the following Bluetooth Profiles -
- Hands-Free Communication: HFP 1.5 (Hands Free Profile), PBAB 1.0 (Phone Book Access Profile).
- Audio Streaming: A2DP 1.2 (Advanced Audio Distribution Profile), AVRCP 1.4 (Audio/Video Remote Control Profile).
Note: Due to the differences in Bluetooth technology, some Bluetooth enabled devices may be incompatible, function improperly, or may not support all features when used with the Alpine iLX-W650.
Secure Simple Pairing (SSP) w/ Dual Phone Connection: With Secure Simple Pairing (SSP), you can easily pair a Bluetooth enabled phone to the iLX-W650 without having to enter pin codes or go through complicated settings (your phone must also support SSP). You can register up to four Bluetooth enabled devices with the Alpine head unit, and keep two phones connected simultaneously. That way you can switch between the driver's and passenger's phones a lot quicker without having to un-connect and re-connect devices. When a previous paired Bluetooth device is in close proximity to the receiver, the auto connection function automatically connects the receiver and device.
Note: Your vehicle must be stopped with it's parking brake engaged to initially pair a Bluetooth device.
Hands-Free Communication: The Alpine iLX-W650 supports wireless hands-free communication for your Bluetooth enabled mobile phone (including iPhone & Android). You'll be able to receive and make calls using the iLX-W650. The iLX-W650 allows you to carry on a phone conversation using the included external microphone and your car audio speakers. You can emphasize or weaken the volume level of the phone caller, the ring tone, and the microphone to fit your own preference (0-11).
- Receiving Calls: Incoming calls are announced by a caller ring tone through your vehicle's speakers (music will be muted) & a Caller ID message across your Alpine head unit's touchscreen display. You can answer an incoming phone call by pressing the telephone icon button on the Alpine receiver's front-panel. Press the telephone icon button again to end the call.
- Making Calls: The Alpine iLX-W650 provides a variety
of functions for placing a phone call without using your mobile phone. The
Alpine iLX-W650 features full phone book access, call history, and voice-dialing with compatible phones.
- Phone Number Entry: Allows you to directly dial a phone number from the head unit's touchscreen.
- Phonebook (with ABC search): Your contacts and their phone numbers can be downloaded from your compatible mobile phone. You can then search the contacts of your phonebook alphabetically.
- Call History: The previously dialed, received, or missed numbers can be retrieved and dialed from memory.
- Voice Dialing: If you have a voice-dial capable phone (including iPhone & Android), you can dial a phone contact by simply speaking the name of your contact or the telephone number.
Note: All Bluetooth phone functions are available with or without the parking brake engaged.
Audio Streaming: The Alpine iLX-W650 can stream stored music, music apps, and other content from your Bluetooth source device (such as your iPhone or Android smartphone). The iLX-W650 will be able to control basic playback functions such as Play/Pause, Previous/Next Track, Fast Forward/Rewind and Random/Repeat. Advanced music browsing (such as song/artist/album search) will still need to be done from your Bluetooth source device. The head unit will also display your stored music's song information; such as Artist name & Song/Album title (no Album Art).
Note: When an incoming call or outgoing call is in progress from your Bluetooth enabled mobile phone, audio streaming will be paused so you can take your call. Once the call is finished, your streaming music will resume.
Siri Eyes Free Control: When connected to an iPhone with Siri via Bluetooth, the Alpine iLX-W650 has the ability to access Siri through its front-panel controls and external microphone. Simply press the head unit's "Mic icon" button to engage Siri and use the external microphone to communicate with Siri. Siri's voice will be heard through your vehicle's speakers. All Siri functions including hands-free calling, music search, setting reminders, text-messaging, audible navigation, and more can be done through the iLX-W650 and its microphone. You can ask Siri to get directions to a destination and the turn-by-turn instructions will heard through your vehicle's speakers, while the on-screen map still displays on your iPhone with Siri. The head unit's audio is attenuated while Siri provides audible directions.
Note: The head unit's display will only indicate hands-free calling and Bluetooth audio information (all other functions of Siri are only audible through the Alpine iLX-W650; visual data will still need to be viewed from your iPhone device).
Apple Music Radio: You can playback Apple Music Radio on your USB-connected Apple iPhone w/ Lightning connector (5S and up) through the Alpine iLX-W650. With a WiFi or cellular connection, you can listen to Beats 1 and other live radio stations. Apple Music subscribers can also listen to on-demand stations from almost any genre or create their own stations. You can use the head unit's touchscreen to select between your Apple Music Radio stations and find the music you want to listen to in the car.
SiriusXM Ready: The Alpine iLX-W650 is SiriusXM-Ready and compatible with the SiriusXM Connect Vehicle Tuner (220SXV300, sold separately). The SiriusXM Connect Vehicle Tuner supports SiriusXM programming with access to 175+ SiriusXM channels via subscription; check out the most popular SiriusXM subscription packages here. Additional features of the SiriusXM Connect tuner include:
- Channel List + Song/Artist Info: A channel list displays a list of all available channels. Displayed Information such as Channel Name, Artist Name, & Song Title can be viewed on the head unit's touchscreen monitor.
- Category Search & Presets: The Category Search function searches for channels in a certain category. Up to 18 SiriusXM Satellite Radio station presets can be saved for easier access.
- Parental Lock: This function restricts the listening of channels for children of certain age levels and is protected by a 4-digit "lock-code".
Note: SiriusXM Satellite Radio operates on the XM Network. However, you can easily add this SiriusXM tuner to an existing Sirius or XM account for a Multi-Radio Discount Plan.
AM/FM Tuner: The Alpine iLX-W650 features a built-in AM/FM tuner with manual, seek, preset, and preset scan tuning. The built-in tuner provides 18 FM and 6 AM preset stations.
CTA-2006 Compliant: The specifications given by Alpine for the built-in amplifier comply with the CTA-2006 mobile amplifier power testing and measurement standards from the CTA (Consumer Technology Association). All manufacturers who comply with the standard can display the CTA-2006 logo on their product.
- CTA-2006 Power Rating: 16 watts x 4 channels (at 4 ohms, 20-20kHz, 1% THD)
- Max Power Output: 45 watts x 4 channels
Note: Mounting the KT-A450 amplifier to the back of the iLX-W650 increases the overall installation depth of the receiver to 4.585".
6ch/4V Preouts + Sub Control: The iLX-W650 has three sets of 4-volt RCA pre-outs (Front/Rear/Sub) for connection of external amplifiers. The unit's front and rear preamp output can be faded, while the subwoofer preamp output is non-fading. The subwoofer output level can be adjusted independently from the main volume setting (0-15); so even at low volume settings the subwoofer is still audible. The subwoofer output phase can be set to Normal (0°) or Reverse (180°).
High-Pass & Low-Pass Crossovers: This unit is equipped with active high-pass and low-pass crossovers which limit the frequencies delivered to the speaker and line-level outputs. Each speaker channel is controlled independently, so each speaker pair can be driven by the frequencies for which have they been optimally designed. The crossover adjusts the HFP (high pass filter) or LPF (low pass filter) frequency point of each speaker pair, and also the slope (how fast the filter rolls off the highs or lows).
- High Pass Filter: The Alpine head unit is equipped with a high-pass filter for its speaker-level output and front/rear-channel preamp outputs. You can set the unit's high-pass filter center frequency point to 20Hz, 25Hz, 31.5Hz, 40Hz, 50Hz, 63Hz, 80Hz, 100Hz, 125Hz, 160Hz, 200Hz, or Off (through). The slope of the high pass filter can be set to 6, 12, 18, or 24 dB/oct.
- Low Pass Filter: The unit's subwoofer output low-pass filter can be set to 20Hz, 25Hz, 31.5Hz, 40Hz, 50Hz, 63Hz, 80Hz, 100Hz, 125Hz, 160Hz, 200Hz, or Off (through). The slope of the low pass filter can be set to 6, 12, 18, or 24 dB/oct.
Note: In order to access the head unit's crossover network, your vehicle must be stopped with its parking brake engaged.
Equalizer: The Alpine iLX-W650 is equipped with a variety of EQ Presets and EQ frequency bands to tailor the music to your listening prefrence. The EQ settings are applied to all sources.
- Preset EQ: The simplest way to adjust the head unit's EQ curve is by select from on of the 6 EQ presets. You can choose from Flat (off), Jazz, Rock, Classical, Pop, or Custom (User). The Custom mode allows you to manually adjust a 3-Band or 9-Band EQ.
- 3-Band EQ: The 3-Band EQ allows you to manually adjust the Alpine receiver's Bass, Midrange, and Treble from -7 to +7 dB for a better listening experience.
- 9-Band Parametric EQ: The advanced 9-Band Parametric EQ allows you to adjust the center frequency, Q-factory, and level for a more custom listening experience. Band 1 can be set 20Hz-100Hz, Band 2 can be set to 63Hz-325Hz, Band 3 can be set to 125Hz-500Hz, Band 4 can be set to 250Hz-1kHz, Band 5 can be set to 500Hz-2kHz, Band 6 can be set to 1kHz-4kHz, Band 7 can be set to 2kHz-7.2kHz, Band 8 can be set to 5.8 kHz-12kHz, and Band 9 can be set to 9kHz-20kHz. The Q-factor for each band can be set to Narrow, Medium, or Wide. The level for each band can be set to -7 to +7 dB). You can save three 9-Band EQ presets.
Note: In order to access the head unit's 9-Band Parametric EQ, your vehicle must be stopped with its parking brake engaged.
Time Correction: This unit is able to delay the audio signal to the speakers closest to the listener with its built-in Time Correction feature. This effectively creates a perception of increased distance for those speakers. Time Correction allows the listener to be placed at an equal distance between the left and right speakers for optimum staging. You can adjust the distance (0-336.6cm) or time delay (0.0-9.9msec) of each speaker and subwoofer to the listener. You are able to save three time correction presets.
Note: In order to access Time Correction, your vehicle must be stopped with its parking brake engaged.
Media Xpander: Alpine's exclusive Media Xpander HD is engineered to bring out the musical details lost in compressed media, and it is adjustable per source to get the most out of your digital audio media. The Media Xpander makes vocals or instruments sound distinct regardless of the music source. The Tuner, USB memory, CarPlay, Android Auto, Pandora, and Bluetooth Audio will be able to reproduce the music more clearly even in vehicles with a lot of road noise.
Note: In order to access the Media Xpander, your vehicle must be stopped with its parking brake engaged.
Beep Guide: This function will give audible feedback with varying tones depending upon the button pressed. This feature can be turned On or Off.
7" Capacitive Touchscreen: The 7" capacitive touchscreen boasts a 800 x 480 resolution (1.15 million pixels) with a 16:9 widescreen aspect ratio. The touchscreen monitor provides a balanced picture, not over-emphasizing dark or light areas, so album art, map screens, and videos are seen with greater clarity. The capacitive touchscreen requires less pressure, responds faster, and can recognize multiple touch points simultaneously; all advantages when compared to traditional resistive touchscreen displays.
- Swipe Control: The new swipe control interface is designed for easy use so drivers can keep their eyes on the road. A two-finger swipe motion moving up, down, left, or right will control volume up/volume down and track skip forward/track skip backward. The two-finger swipe can be done at any location on the touchscreen, eliminating the need for the driver to search and touch a specific area for each command. The swipe control feature is not compatible with CarPlay or Android Auto
- Touch-Sensitive Buttons: Conveniently located touch-sensitive buttons (including Power/Menu, Source, Volume Up/Down, Mute, Phone/Answer, and Voice/Mic)s are accessible along the bottom edge of the 7" touchscreen monitor for quick access and simple control.
Note: For safety and legal reasons, the iLX-W650 features a video lock-out feature to prevent the driver from viewing a video source while the vehicle is in motion. To watch a video source, the vehicle must be stopped with the parking brake engaged and the ignition in the ACC or ON position. This also includes advanced setup menus. CarPlay & Android Auto do not require the Parking Brake to be engaged.
Brightness (Dimmer) Control: You can adjust the brightness of the LCD backlight from -14 to +15 and the brightness of the button illumination from -2 to +2. You can then select one of the following modes for both the LCD's backlight and button illumination - Auto (adjusts the brightness of the background illumination based on the ambient light in your vehicle), On (keeps the background illumination of the monitor dark), or Off (keeps the background illumination of the monitor bright).
Clock Display: The iLX-W650 lets you select between a 12 hour or 24 hour clock, and is diplayed on each source screen. The clock can be set to turn off with the unit, or continue to display after the unit is turned off (as long as the vehicle's key is in the accessory or on position).
Steering Wheel Control Input: The head unit features a 3.5mm steering wheel control (SWC) input on the rear of the chassis that lets you keep your vehicle's factory radio steering wheel controls when used with an optional steering wheel control adapter (sold separately - check for your vehicle's compatibility).
Dual Camera Inputs: Two camera inputs (consisting of composite video jacks) allow for the addition of multiple cameras including a rear-view, side-view, and/or front-view camera (both sold separately - see Accessories Tab). You can adjust the Brightness, Color, and Contrast of the Alpine receiver's camera inputs.
- Guidelines: The rear-view camera function also provides on-screen color-coded guidelines to assist you when backing up your vehicle into a parking space.
- Auto Rearview Switching: If a rear-view camera is connected, you should also connect the unit's reverse lead wire (Orange/white) to your vehicle's back-up lamp circuit. When properly connected, the image from the rear-view camera automatically appears on the monitor when the vehicle is shifted into reverse. Automatic video switching takes approximately 0.75 seconds.
Note: The rear view camera feature is meant as a back-up aid only; never solely rely on the rear-view camera when backing-up. In addition to using the rear-view camera, always look behind you to make sure everything is clear when backing up your vehicle.
Q Crutchfield asked: Why did you buy this?
90 questions already asked