About the Alpine INE-W960HDMI
A receiver for just about every phone user
A receiver for just about every phone user
I'm on the road a lot, so it makes sense for me to have guidance and entertainment together in the dash. But what doesn't make sense is having to choose my car stereo based on what kind of phone I have. Alpine's INE-W960HDMI navigation receiver appeals to both iPhone® and Android™ smartphone users by offering an HDMI input for just about every non-Apple device out there, plus intuitive integration of Apple products. On top of everything else, Alpine gives satellite radio lovers some shine by including a free SiriusXM tuner ($70 value) with this receiver, plus 3 months of free service when you subscribe.
More than just a replacement model
The INE-W960HDMI boasts all of the same great features as its predecessor, the INE-W960, a fantastic value-oriented navigation receiver. These highlights include a 6.1" touchscreen display, door-to-door guidance, plenty of media connections, and built-in Bluetooth® connectivity for hands-free calling and music streaming. With the addition of the HDMI input and satellite radio tuner, the 'W960HDMI offers more functionality and entertainment options.
Directions you can trust
Alpine's navigation features start with detailed maps for the U.S., Canada, Puerto Rico, and the U.S. Virgin Islands. You'll hear spoken directions with actual street names announced at turns. As you approach your next maneuver, the map automatically zooms to give you a better view. You can even change the display to show 3D terrain views or to incorporate 3D representations of buildings and landmarks. Lane guidance and junction view provide additional assurance for complicated interchanges.
Take control of your phone with the INE-W960HDMI's built-in Bluetooth. You can talk through your compatible phone and keep your hands on the wheel. Pairing is convenient, and you can control phone functions through the receiver's display, including accessing your favorite contacts. Alpine's external microphone with noise cancellation lets your callers hear you loud and clear. If you've got music on your smartphone or other Bluetooth device, you can stream it to the receiver wirelessly.
If you've got an iPod or iPhone, you'll enjoy control of the iPod functions through the receiver, including rapid search functions. And it'll even work with the newer iPhone models with Lightning™ connections, except for their video features. The receiver's rear HDMI input lets you connect most Android and Windows smartphones and to engage certain road-friendly apps and functions through the receiver's screen.
Media to go
You can load up a thumb drive with your favorite digital music files and play them through the INE-W960HDMI's rear USB input. And it'll play your old-school discs full of music or files. Time for a pit stop? Entertain the whole vehicle with video content from a DVD or thumb drive on the receiver's screen while parked. On the road, rear-seat passengers can enjoy movies played through the receiver on your optional headrest or overhead monitors.
Take Pandora® Internet radio for a ride
Take your Pandora stations with you — run the free Pandora app on your phone and control it from the INEW-960HDMI's touchscreen. You can skip tracks, change stations, and thumbs up/thumbs down songs just like you do online. For the iPhone, you'll need a USB or Bluetooth connection; Android phones control Pandora via Bluetooth or an HDMI connection.
Includes a SiriusXM satellite radio tuner
Satellite radio provides uninterrupted programming across a wide array of channels all across the continental United States, much of it commercial-free. Alpine includes an SXV300 tuner with your INE-W960HDMI purchase, so you can hear for yourself how SiriusXM can make your drives more entertaining. You'll get the first three months of your SiriusXM All Access subscription free when you activate the tuner (charges apply thereafter). You'll be able to see all the song title, artist, and channel information clearly on the receiver's 6.1" display, and program your favorites so you'll never miss your preferred band, show, or sports team when they're on the air.
The SXV300V1 will plug into aftermarket in-dash receivers that have a "SiriusXM-Ready" logo. You'll also need an XM or SiriusXM subscription. Satellite radio service is available only within the lower 48 states — not available in Hawaii or U.S. territories. Limited service is available in Alaska.
Trademark Alpine sound improvements
The receiver's 24-bit digital-to-analog converter provides excellent sonic reproduction for all your CDs and digital media sources, while the Time Correction feature lets you focus the stereo image for the driver's seat. Alpine's MediaXpander Pro technology makes your compressed audio sources sound as good as possible. Plus, you can customize the sound for your vehicle, including upholstery type, number of speakers, and speaker locations, for the optimum tuning settings.
Want to keep your steering wheel controls?
In most cars, you'll need an adapter to retain those controls with this car stereo. Connect a few wires, then program the adapter for your particular car and radio, and you'll retain the convenience of your steering wheel controls. You'll see the adapters that work with your vehicle when you add this receiver to your cart.
Bluetooth note: Use of this receiver's Bluetooth features will depend upon your phone's Bluetooth capabilities. Learn more in our article explaining Bluetooth profiles.
iPod/iPhone note: If you're going to use your iPod or iPhone with this receiver, be sure to check "Details" for specific model compatibility.
Some states and localities prohibit or restrict the use of video and information displays in vehicles — it is your responsibility to see if any restrictions or prohibitions apply in your area.
- DVD/CD receiver with 6.1" touchscreen and AM/FM tuner
- internal amp (18 watts RMS CEA-2006/50 peak x 4 channels)
- includes SiriusXM satellite radio tuner plus 3 free months of All Access programming with tuner activation and subscription
- built-in Bluetooth for hands-free calling and audio streaming
- fits double-DIN (4" tall) dash openings
- maps of United States, Canada, Puerto Rico, and the Virgin Islands, plus 7 million points of interest
- text-to-speech announces actual street names at turns
- lane guidance and junction view
- 3D representations of landmarks and buildings
Smartphone Features: (see Details for info on compatibility with specific smartphones and apps)
- built-in Pandora control for connected smartphones (iPhone requires USB or Bluetooth connection; Android requires HDMI or Bluetooth connection)
- built-in iPod, iPhone, and iPad control
- HDMI input for Android smartphone connectivity
- plays CDs, DVDs, and USB memory devices (see Details for full capabilities)
- 24-bit digital-to-analog converter
- 9-band parametric equalizer
- Time Correction feature for a stronger stereo image
- MediaXpander Pro compensates for compressed music sources
- compatible with Alpine PXA-H800 IMPRINT audio processor and RUX-C800 controller
- inputs: rear USB input; rear HDMI input; rear A/V input; rear camera input
- outputs: auxiliary output (rear); 6-channel preamp outputs (4-volt front, rear, subwoofer)
- compatible with most factory steering wheel audio controls (adapter required)
- CEA-2006 compliant
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # INE-W960HDMI
What's in the box:
- Alpine INE-W960HDMI:
- Navigation receiver w/ 6.1" touchscreen monitor (15A fuse)
- Sleeve (installed)
- Trim ring (installed)
- Wiring harness (in-line 15A fuse and fuse holder)
- Pre-amp/AV harness
- Bluetooth microphone (attached 12.5' cable)
- Visor bracket
- 5' USB extension cable
- GPS antenna (attached 11.5' cable)
- Self-adhesive antenna mounting plate
- 2 Removal keys
- 8 Pan-head machine screws (M5x8mm)
- 6 Countersunk machine screws (M5x8mm)
- 3 Self-adhesive clips
- Quick Reference Guide
- "HDMI Compatibility" sheet
- Online Product Registration note
- HERE Maps Registration Card
- SiriusXM SXV300:
- SiriusXM Connect vehicle tuner (w/ attached 25" cable terminated by a proprietary connector)
- SiriusXM antenna (w/ attached 23' cable terminated by a right-angle SMB connector)
- Alcohol Prep Pad
- Installation Guide
- SiriusXM brochure
More details on the Alpine INE-W960HDMI
Features & specs
|AUX Input||Mini (rear)|
|Audio/video Input||HDMI (rear), Mini (rear)|
|Backup Camera Input||Yes|
|Second Camera Input||No|
|Alexa Voice Control|
|Memory Card Slot||USB memory|
|Satellite Radio Ready||Included SiriusXM Tuner|
|RMS Power (CTA-2006)||18 watts|
|RMS Power (Manufacturer)||---|
|Peak Output||50 watts|
|RMS Power Bandwidth||20-20kHz|
|Sub Preamp Outputs||Yes|
|Switchable Rear Preamp Outputs||No|
|Navigation App Compatible (iOS)|
|Navigation App Compatible (Android)|
|Preamp Voltage||4 volts|
|Key Button Color||White|
|Steering Wheel Control Compatible||Adapter required|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
|FM Sensitivity||9.3 dBf|
|Radio Data System||Yes|
|Music File Playback||MP3, WMA, AAC|
6.1" Touchscreen Display: The INE-W960HDMI has a 6.1" WVGA (1.15 million-pixel) touchscreen LCD monitor (with 16:9 aspect ratio) that serves as a video monitor, information display, and system controller. The INE-W960HDMI's touchscreen monitor provides a more balanced picture, not over-emphasizing dark or light areas, so movies are seen with greater clarity. All of the graphics are crisp and clean for your viewing pleasure. The Alpine INE-W960HDMI offers the following settings to customize the head unit's LCD touchscreen monitor.
- Background Colors: You can choose from five different background colors for the display; Black, Blue, Red, Green, or Amber.
- Picture Adjustments: You can also change and save Brightness, Color, and Contrast settings for the touchscreen display monitor.
- Screen Off: You can also turn the touchscreen completely off at night, if the display is too bright when simply listening to audio and have no need for a monitor display.
Note: For safety and legal reasons, the Alpine receiver features a video lock-out feature to prevent the driver from viewing a video source while the vehicle is in motion. To watch a video source, the vehicle must be stopped with the parking brake engaged and the ignition in the ACC or ON position. This also includes advanced setup menus. This also pertains to the receiver's System, Audio, & Navigation Setup Menus.
Start Up Time: The Alpine INE-W960HDMI has a start up time of approximately 5.7 seconds from Off to the "Attention" screen. Once the "Attention" screen appears, you can tap the "Accept" button on the head unit's touchscreen to go instantly to the Navigation screen or press the "Audio" hard-key to access the Source menu.
Clock Display: The clock is displayed on each source screen and turns off when the head unit is powered down. Once you have launched and accepted navigation mode, the unit's clock syncs up with the internal navigation system, so it automatically adjusts to your time based on your location. Whether you are in Hawaii or New York, the INE-W960HDMI will adjust and display the appropriate time.
Remote Control: The Alpine INE-W960HDMI offers compatibility with factory steering wheel controls (adapter sold separately) and supports Alpine's IR wireless remote control (sold separately) for added convenience.
- Steering Wheel Remote Compatibility: The head unit features an OEM steering wheel remote control input on the rear of the unit that lets you keep your vehicle's factory radio steering wheel remote controls when used with an optional steering wheel audio control adapter (sold separately).
- Optional Wireless Remote: The Alpine INE-W960HDMI is wireless remote control ready. Simply add on the Alpine RUE-4202 IR remote (500RU4202, sold separately) to make it even easier to control the head unit's basic tuner & disc functions. The remote does not offer navigation control.
HERE Map Data: The Alpine INE-W960HDMI offers reliable navigation with preloaded HERE map data of the United States and Canada, including Alaska, Hawaii, Puerto Rico, and the Virgin Islands. The map database provides approximately 7 million points-of-interest (POIs) in various categories throughout the coverage area. The map data is stored on the unit's 4GB internal flash memory (non-removable).
Note: Car navigation maps are frequently updated. While this database was judged to be as accurate as possible at the time of its release, a map database can never be 100% accurate. Road information that is maintained in the map databases, such as turn restrictions or road names may change over time.
Future Updates: Visit www.naviextras.com for the latest map & navigation software updates (requires Windows XP or newer).
GPS Receiver & Antenna: The Alpine INE-W960HDMI features a built-in GPS receiver and includes an external GPS antenna which determines vehicle speed and heading changes, along with longitude and latitude information, to accurately determine vehicle heading and position on the system's digital map. The GPS antenna can be mounted inside or outside of the vehicle.
Note: The navigation receiver took approximately 20.1 seconds to calculate directions from Virginia to California. It took approximately 12.7 seconds to calculate directions from Virginia to Maryland. These tests were done inside the Crutchfield Lab of the Crutchfield Head Quarters. Results will vary based on length of calculated route and your surrounding area.
On-Screen Map: As you travel, the INE-W960HDMI guides you to your destination via its on-screen map. The unit's on-screen map shows your vehicle's current position (a blue arrow by default), the recommended route (an orange line), the surrounding map area, and your destination as a checkered flag. The on-screen map shows streets in a way that is similar to how the paper road maps show them. Their width and colors correspond to their importance; you can easily tell a freeway from a small street. Road segments affected by traffic events are displayed with an alternate color on the map, and small symbols above the road show the nature of the event. When navigating a route, the top section of the map screen shows information about the next route event (maneuver) and the next street or the next city/town. Both the type of the event (turn, traffic circle, exiting freeway, etc.) and its distance from the current position are displayed. When approaching a turn, the map screen will zoom in and raise the view angle to let you easily recognize your maneuver at the next junction. If the next turn is at a distance, it will zoom out and lower the view angle to be flat so you can see the road in front of you. Two data fields on the left of the screen shows the distance you need to travel on the route before reaching your final destination and the time needed to reach your final destination of the route based on information available for the remaining segments of the route. You can adjust the following map settings.
- Map Views (2D/3D): The INE-W960HDMI provides three Map Views,
choose from North Up (North is always at the top of the display; this makes
it easy to determine your current heading with respect to the map), Heading
Up (current direction is always pointing to the top of the display; this
makes it easy to see the direction of the next turn on the map), or 3D View
(more realistic perspective by tilting the map and displaying it with a
horizon line; streets are displayed as you approach them instead of from a
birds-eye view). The INE-W960HDMI's navigation software supports the following 3D
- 3D Terrain: 3D terrain map data shows changes in terrain, elevations or depressions in the land when you view the map in 2D, and use it to plot the route map in 3D when you navigate. Hills and mountains are shown in the background of the 3D map.
- Elevated Roads: Complex intersections and vertically isolated roads (such as overpasses or bridges) are displayed in 3D.
- 3D Landmarks: Landmarks are 3D artistic or block representations of prominent or well-known objects.
- 3D Buildings: 3D block representation of full city building data containing actual building size and position on the map.
- Map Color: The navigation map screen uses different color themes (Day/Night) during the day and during the night for both the map and the menu screen. Daytime colors are similar to paper road maps, and the menus are bright. The night color themes use dark colors for large objects to keep the average brightness of the screen low. You can also set the navigation unit to switch between daytime and night color modes automatically based on the current time and GPS position.
Highway Driver Assistance: The INE-W960HDMI's navigation map offers helpful lane information & signpost guidance, along with junction & tunnel views, plus exit services for highway drivers.
- Lane Information: When navigation on multilane roads, it is important to take the appropriate lane in order to follow the recommended route. If lane information is available in the map data, the map screen will display the lanes and their directions using small arrows at the bottom of the map. High lighted arrows represent the lanes you need to take.
- Signposts: Where additional information is available, signposts substitute arrows. Signposts are displayed at the top of the map. The color and style of the signposts are similar to the real ones you can see above the road or by the roadside, They show the available destinations and the number of the road the lane leads to.
- Junction & Tunnel View: If you are approaching a freeway exit or a complex intersection and the needed information exists, the map is replaced with a 3D view of the junction. The lanes you need to take are displayed with arrows. Signposts can also be present, if information is available. When entering a tunnel, the map is replaced with a generic tunnel image so that surface roads and buildings cannot distract you.
- Exit Services: The Exit Services function lets you search roadway exits for food, lodging, and rest areas so you are never left guessing what is around the bend. You must be on a major highway or road to use this feature.
Voice Guidance w/ Text-to-Speech: In addition to graphical on-screen directions and maps, the INE-W960HDMI provides voice guidance and turn-by-turn directions, capable of text-to-speech (TTS), announcing the street names along with the turn directions. With turn-by-turn instructions delivered by Text-to-Speech (TTS) technology, street names, freeway numbers and freeway exit names are announced clearly through your vehicle's audio system. Directions are available in English, Spanish, or French.
Note: The INE-W960HDMI will mute the audio source, when there is a text-to-speech voice prompt. Once the voice prompt has ended, your audio source's volume will automatically raise to previous setting.
Where AM I?: The "Where Am I?" screen contains information about the current position (or approximately the last known position if GPS reception is not available) and a button to search for POIs and emergency services nearby.
Selecting A Destination: The built-in navigation software offers you several ways of choosing your destination.
- Free-Form Search: A quick way to search for an address, a Place, an Address Book entry, or a History item is to use the free-form search. Simply enter a street address (just the street name or both the street and the house number), the name of a Place, a previous destination or an Address Book entry from this one search screen.
- Browse Map: Select a location on the map by simply tapping the map.
- Address: You can find an address by entering the exact address (including house number), the center of a city/town, an intersection, the midpoint of a street, or zip code.
- Address Book: Save frequented locations in the unit's address book to quickly add as a destination (like your home or office).
- Places (POI): Select from approximately 7 million Point-of-Interests (POIs); search POIs by name, preset, or category around your current location, destination, route, or specific city.
- History: Destinations you have set previously appear in the History search.
- Coordinates: Enter Latitude and Longitude coordinates as your destination.
Note: Any destination selection method can be entered with or without the parking brake engaged.
Vehicle Profile: You can create a vehicle profile for your car, truck, or SUV. Enter the following parameters for your vehicle - Fuel Consumption (avg. fuel consumption of your vehicle in city and rural areas), Engine Type (engine and fuel type), Fuel Price (avg. fuel price for travel cost calculation), Max Speed (max speed you travel).
Route Calculation: The unit's navigation software calculates your route based on the following selections.
- Vehicle Types: You can select what type of vehicle you are driving, so the navigation unit can determine the best route based on your vehicle type (Car, Truck, Emergency, Bus, or Taxi).
- Route Methods: You can choose which route method
(Fastest, Shortest, Green, or Easy) the navigation unit should use when
calculating your route.
- Fast: Gives a quick route if you can travel at or near the speed limit on all roads. Usually the best selection for fast and normal cars.
- Short: Gives a route that has the smallest total distance of all possible routes. It can be practical for slow vehicles.
- Green: Gives a quick and fuel efficient route based on the fuel consumption data given in Route settings. Travel cost and CO2 emission calculations are estimations only. They cannot take elevations, curves and traffic conditions into account.
- Easy: Results in a route with fewer turns and no difficult maneuvers. With this option, you can make your software to take, for example, the freeway instead of a series of smaller roads or streets.
- Avoidances: You can tell the navigation unit to avoid certain types of roads along your calculated route, such as Highways, Tolls, Carpool/HOV, Unpaved Roads, and/or Ferries.
Modifying Your Route: When navigation is already started, there are several ways to modify the active route. Options include:
- Add Waypoint: If you already have a recommended route and you select a new destination, the unit will ask you whether to start a new route, add a new waypoint (intermediate destination) to the route or append the newly selected destination at the end of the current route.
- New Starting Position: For normal navigation, all routes are planned from the current position. In order to check future routes, simulate them or see their length in time and distance, you can turn off the GPS receiver. Then you can set the starting point of the route to a different location than the current GPS position.
- Edit Destination: You can edit the route by modifying the list of destinations. You can add or remove destinations, modify the start position or reorder the list.
- Cancel Route: You can cancel the active route and delete its destination and all its waypoints.
- Route Alternatives: To recalculate the active route with a different route planning method, you can modify the unit's Route settings.
Route Preview: The INE-W960HDMI lets you preview your route's instructions and simulate the drive. The Itinerary page displays turn-by-turn instructions for your entire route and the distance between turns. You can also preview all the route information and simulate travel along a projected route.
Warnings & Alerts: The INE-W960HDMI's navigation software provides the following warnings & alerts.
- Alert Points: You can save any map location as an alert point (for example a speed camera or a railroad crossing).
- Speed Limit Warnings: Maps may contain information about the speed limits of the road segments. The navigation head unit is able to warn you if you exceed the current limit. This information may not be available in all areas, or may not be fully correct for all roads in the map. Speed warning can be fine-tuned in Sound and Warning settings.
Trip Monitor: The navigation system's trip monitor contains useful information about your trip. Trip monitor data can be saved manually when you reach your destination or automatically along your route. Trip monitor data includes; Start/End Time, Avg./Max. Speed, Total/Driving/Stopped Time, Total Distance, and Min./Max. Altitude.
Automatic Route Recalculation + Detour: The unit will automatically recalculate your route if you stray from the navigation unit's previously calculated route. When you slow down while driving on a motorway, there is a chance that you are in a traffic jam so the software offers you a detour using the next exit. The message shows you distance of the exit and the difference in distance and estimated time compared to the original route.
Off-Road Navigation: The difference between the on-road and off-road modes is the navigation itself. When you are on the Map screen with an off-road route, your position and heading is not aligned with the nearest road and there is no turn by turn navigation; just a recommended direction. You see a straight line drawn between your current position and the next destination to reach. The Turn Preview field in the top left corner shows an arrow with your bearing and the distance of the next destination.
Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR: The Alpine INE-W960HDMI features built-in Bluetooth technology (v2.1+EDR). The head unit's built-in Bluetooth allows you to make and receive phone calls wirelessly through the receiver; as well as stream music wirelessly from your smartphone to the head unit. In order to use Bluetooth wireless technology, your phone must also be Bluetooth compatible and be able to interpret certain profiles. This unit is compatible with the following Bluetooth Profiles:
- Hands-Free Communication: HFP (Hands Free Profile), HSP (Head Set Profile), OPP (Object Push Profile), PBAB (Phone Book Access Profile).
- Audio Streaming: A2DP (Advanced Audio Distribution Profile), AVRCP (Audio/Video Remote Control Profile).
Note: Due to the differences in Bluetooth technology, some Bluetooth enabled devices may be incompatible, function improperly, or may not support all features when used with the Alpine INE-W960HDMI. Parrot software updates provide support for future phones.
Secure Simple Pairing: With Secure Simple Pairing (SSP), you can easily pair a Bluetooth enabled phone to the INE-W960HDMI without having to enter pin codes or go through complicated settings (your phone must also support SSP). When your paired Bluetooth device is in close proximity to the receiver, the auto connection function automatically pairs the two units. Up to 3 Bluetooth-compatible devices can be paired to this head unit, but only one device can be used at a time.
Hands-Free Communication w/ External Mic: The Alpine INE-W960HDMI supports wireless hands-free communication for your Bluetooth enabled mobile phone. Incoming calls are announced by a caller ring tone through your vehicle's speakers (music will be muted) & a Caller ID message across your Alpine head unit's touchscreen display. The INE-W960HDMI allows you to carry on a phone conversation from your Bluetooth enabled mobile phone using the head unit's external microphone and your car audio speakers. During a conversation, you can initiate a transfer of audio between your mobile phone and your car's speakers.
- Receiving Calls: The Alpine INE-W960HDMI provides several
ways to answer your phone calls without picking up your mobile phone.
- Manual Answer: Manually answer an incoming call by pressing the "Phone" button on your Alpine head unit.
- Automatic Answer: Set the Alpine head unit to answer the incoming call automatically; when a call is received, it is answered automatically after approximately 5 seconds.
- Call Waiting: If a second call is received during a current call, you can have the first caller wait momentarily while you take the second call. When you are finished with one call, you can switch to the other.
- Making Calls: The Alpine INE-W960HDMI provides a variety of
functions for placing a phone call without using your mobile phone. The
Alpine INE-W960HDMI features full phone book access, call history, voice dialing,
and redial with compatible phones.
- Voice Dialing: If you have a voice-dial capable phone, you can dial a phone contact by simply speaking the name of your contact or the telephone number.
- Phone Number Entry: Allows you to directly dial a phone number up to 31 digits from the head unit's touchscreen.
- Phonebook (with ABC search): Up to 1,000 entries (5 telephone numbers for each name) can be downloaded from your compatible mobile phone. You can select the first 3 call letters (ABC) to search for a desired name in your phonebook.
- Shortcut Dialing: You can assign up to 4 phone numbers for one-touch dialing to make a call easily.
- Call History: The previously dialed, received, or missed numbers (20 each) can be retrieved and dialed from memory.
- Redial: Quickly redial the last number dialed.
Note: All Bluetooth phone functions are available with or without the parking brake engaged.
Audio Streaming (w/ Advanced Music Navigation): The Alpine INE-W960HDMI can stream music from your Bluetooth-enabled mobile device (such as your iPhone or Android smartphone). Stream your stored music library and music apps from your Bluetooth source device to the Alpine receiver. Not only can it control & stream your music through Bluetooth, it can process your music using its built-in DSP to ensure you get the best sound.
- Advanced Music Browsing: In addition to basic playback functions (Play/Pause, FF/RW, Skip, Random/Repeat), the INE-W960HDMI provides a Search List of your stored music by Playlist, Artist, Album, Song, etc.. AVRCP 1.4 phones only; which includes Android 4.0+ and iPhone 5.0+).
- Song/Artist/Album Display: The head unit will also display your stored music and music apps' song information; such as Artist name & Song/Album title.
Note: When an incoming call or outgoing call is in progress from your Bluetooth enabled mobile phone, audio streaming will be paused so you can take your call. Once the call is finished, your streaming music will resume.
Bluetooth Adjustments: You can emphasize or weaken the volume level of the phone caller, the ring tone, and the microphone input to fit your own preference. You can also select which car speaker outputs the audio from your Bluetooth-enabled mobile phone/device. You can select All, Front-Left, Front-Right, or Front-Left/Right.
Smartphone Mirror via HDMI: The Alpine's INE-W960HDMI's rear-panel HDMI input can be used to connect select Android or Apple iOS devices with video output to the navigation receiver. With the vehicle's parking brake engaged you can mirror the smartphone device's image and watch stored video and video apps on the navigation head unit's touchscreen monitor. Stored music, music apps, and other audio content on your iPod/iPhone device can be heard through your speaker system without the parking brake engaged; however, there is no song/artist information display unless the parking brake is engaged. There is no touchscreen control from the Alpine head unit; you will still continue to use your Apple iOS or Android device to select content, apps, and control playback.
- iPhone Connectivity: If you have an iPhone 5 or newer with the Lightning connector, you will need Apple's Lightning Digital AV adapter and Lightning-to-USB cable, plus Alpine's KCU-610HD HDMI cable kit, or a mobile-grade HDMI cable (all sold separately). The HDMI connector provides the audio/video playback, while the USB connection charges your iPhone device.
- Android Connectivity: Use Alpine's KCU-610MH HDMI cable kit (500KCU610M, sold separately) to connect your MHL-compatible Android smartphone. The Samsung Galaxy S3/S4/S5 and Note II/III/IV requires an additional 3rd party MHL microUSB 5-pin to 11-pin adapter (sold separately). The HDMI connector provides audio/video playback, while the USB connection charges the battery of your Android smartphone. Check here for a list of compatible MHL-enabled Android phones.
Note: The HDMI input is recessed within the head unit's rear-chassis and requires an HDMI cable with a connector collar that is less than 0.9375" wide.
iPod/iPhone 1-Wire USB Connection: The Alpine navigation head unit supports direct connection of your Lightning or 30-pin iPod/iPhone through its rear-panel USB port. The INE-W960HDMI supports audio playback, music navigation, information display, and charging of select Apple devices. The Alpine INE-W960HDMI's USB connection allows your iPod/iPhone's music library to be loaded instantly to the Alpine head unit and sound quality to be maximized through the head unit's 24-bit D/A converter (bypassing iPod/iPhone DAC), allowing for a Signal to Noise ratio up to 100dB.
- Head Unit Control: You can control your connected iPod/iPhone from the head unit's touchscreen. The Alpine INE-W960HDMI lets you navigate your iPod/iPhone's music library by Playlist, Artist, Album, Song, Genre, Composer, Podcast, or Audiobook. You can then search each category alphabetically (A-Z). The head unit also offers three Shuffle playback functions (All/Album/Category) and Repeat playback function (song). In addition, you can control basic playback functions (such as Play/Pause, FF/RW, Previous/Next Track) of select movie and video apps. Not all apps will be compatible. Older iPod/iPhone device's will be locked during connection, but Apple devices w/ iOS 6.0+ will stay unlocked.
- Music Information: The Alpine in-dash navigation receiver will display your iPod/iPhone's stored music file information; such as Track number, Elapsed playing time, Artist name, Song/Album title, as well as Album Art. The unit will also display song/artist information and station identification from select music apps.
- 1A Charging: The head unit's USB connection provides 1A of current to power and charge your connected iPod/iPhone when your vehicle's ignition switch is set to the 'ACC' or 'On' position (if your iPod/iPhone has no initial battery charge, then the unit will not recognize it).
- Lightning Connector: If you have a newer iPod/iPhone with the Lightning-connector, you can use Alpine's KCU-471i cable (500KCU471I, sold separately) or the Lightning-to-USB cable that came with your Apple device to connect your iPod/iPhone to the Alpine INE-W960HDMI.
- 30-Pin Dock Connector: If you have an older iPod/iPhone with the 30-pin connector, you can use Alpine's dock connector-to-USB cable (500KCU445I, sold separately) or the dock connector-to-USB cable that comes with your Apple device to connect your iPod/iPhone to the INE-W960HDMI.
Apple Device Compatibility Chart: The Alpine INE-W960HDMI is "Made for iPod/iPhone" compatible and supports the following iPod/iPhone model features (as of 3/14/2017):
|Apple Device||Generation||Tested Version||Media Type||Control Type||Display Type||Bluetooth||Charge|
|Audio||Video||Head Unit||iPod/iPhone||Pandora||Album Art||Song/Artist Text||Track Info||Phone||Audio||Siri|
Note: Apple iPod/iPhone software updates may change functionality results. If you download a newer software version, you may need to reset the head unit and your iPod/iPhone to regain functionality. If this doesn't work, you may need to wait until a newer software update is available.
Included SiriusXM Tuner: The Alpine INE-W960HDMI comes with the SiriusXM SXV300 Connect Vehicle Tuner. The SiriusXM Connect Vehicle Tuner supports SiriusXM programming with access to 175+ SiriusXM channels via subscription; check out the most popular SiriusXM subscription packages here. Additional features of the SiriusXM Connect tuner include:
- Song/Artist Info: Displayed information such as Channel Name, Channel Logo, Artist Name, & Song Title can be viewed on the head unit's LCD
- Category & Direct Search: You can search for SiriusXM programming content by Channel (all channels), Music (your saved artists/songs), Games (your saved sport teams), and Featured (recommended stations). You can also directly select a channel number from the head unit's touchscreen numeric keypad.
- 18 Presets + Jump: The Alpine head unit feature 3 Satellite Radio preset bands. You can store 6 SiriusXM stations to each preset band (a total of 18). The Jump feature lets you store your absolute favorite channel so you can jump to it with the press of a dedicated button and then jump back to the previous channel.
- Instant Replay: The INE-W960HDMI supports the SiriusXM Instant Replay function, so you can pause, rewind, and replay up to 30 minutes of live content from the current channel. Listen to your favorite programming over again.
- Tune Start/Tune Scan: Use Tune Start to play music content from its beginning on programmed preset stations. Now you'll be able to enjoy the full song rather than hearing what's left from its current live playback position. Tune Scan lets you scan through all the songs you missed from your current band of preset channels.
- Song/Artist/Game Alerts: With Song/Artist Alert you can get notified when your favorite songs or artists are being broadcast on any SiriusXM station. With the push of a button, you can jump right to that broadcast and catch the songs you want to listen to. GameAlert will display an on-screen message if your favorite teams' games are being broadcast. Jump to that station with the push of a button so you can listen to the game play by play. You can also get the latest score updates while you are listening to other stations.
- Parental Lock: This function restricts the listening of channels for children of certain age levels and is protected by a 4-digit "lock-code".
Note: A separate SiriusXM Satellite Radio subscription is required (operates on the XM Network). However, you can easily add this SiriusXM tuner to an existing Sirius or XM account for a Multi-Radio Discount Plan.
Pandora Internet Radio App (for iPhone & Android): The free Pandora App (for Apple iOS 9.0+ and Android OS 4.0+) lets you play music from the Pandora music service through the Alpine INE-W960HDMI using your USB-connected Apple iPhone or Bluetooth paired Android smartphone. Your Apple iPhone must be connected to the INE-W960HDMI via the appropriate Alpine iPod connector cable (500KCU471I or 500KCU445I; both sold separately) or the Dock-/Lightning-cable that came with your iPhone. Your Android smartphone must support A2DP/AVRCP/SPP Bluetooth profiles and be paired with the Alpine receiver. Your iPhone or Android smartphone will also need an active Data Plan account with connection to the Internet via 4G (LTE), 3G, EDGE, or WiFi. The INE-W960HDMI provides control over the Pandora music service and displays Artist, Album, and Song information.
- Station List: You can select Pandora stations from your Station List by date or alphabetically (A-Z).
- New Station: Based on a currently playing track or artist, you can create a new station and save it to your Pandora account.
- QuickMix: QuickMix allows you to listen to songs played on one or more Pandora stations in your Station List randomly. You will need to edit your QuickMix station selections on the phone before connection.
- Skip Songs: You can skip song tracks within a station. You cannot skip back to a previous song. Pandora limits the number of skips allowed.
- Thumbs Up/Down: You can give songs a thumbs up or thumbs down to help Pandora personalize stations to suit your preferences.
- Bookmarking: The song or artist currently being played can be bookmarked & stored in your Pandora account.
Note: Access to these online service will depend on the availability of a cellular and/or WiFi network for purposes of allowing your iPhone or Android smartphone to connect to the Internet. Pandora is not supported in Canada and only available in the United States.
RDS AM/FM Tuner: The Alpine INE-W960HDMI features a built-in AM/FM tuner with manual, seek, and preset tuning. The Radio Data System (RDS) feature displays radio broadcast information such as artist & track information when listening to compatible AM/FM stations. The built-in tuner provides 12 FM and 6 AM preset stations. Stations can be preset manually or automatically. Local seek tuning lets you tune in only those radio stations with sufficiently strong signals for good reception. Distance seek tuning allows both strong and weak stations to be tuned.
Compatible Discs: The Alpine INE-W960HDMI will play back DVD Video, DVD-R/RW, DVD+R/RW, CD, and CD-R/RW discs (12cm only). It will also support two-layer DVD discs. This unit can play MP3/WMA/AAC music files and DivX video files recorded onto CD-R/RW, DVD-R/RW, or DVD+R/RW discs. The unit has a front-loading disc-slot to make loading your disc easier because there is no panel to slide or fold-down.
- Off Insert/Eject + Auto Reload: A DVD/CD disc can be inserted or ejected with the power off. When a disc is inserted with the power off, the unit will automatically power up and begin playback. When a disc is ejected and left sticking out of the disc slot for 20 seconds, the unit automatically reloads the CD to protect if from damage.
- Parental Lock: Parental Lock allows you to restrict the playback of DVDs that are unsuitable for younger viewers. You can select a parental lock rating from 1-8, which is protected by a 4-digit password.
- Angle Mounting: For proper disc playback, Alpine recommends mounting the INE-W960HDMI no more that 30° above horizontal.
Rear-Panel USB Port: The head unit's rear-panel USB (type-A) port allows you to connect a USB Mass Storage Class (MSC) device, such as select portable digital audio players or USB thumbdrives. A 5' USB extension cable is included. The USB port enables audio/video playback & control of MP3/WMA/AAC music files and DivX video files stored on your portable USB MSC device through the Alpine INE-W960HDMI. USB portable audio players that can be charged via USB will be charged when plugged into the navigation receiver's USB port (max. 1A), and the vehicle's ignition switch is set to ACC or On. The USB port is also used to update the head unit's software, via downloadable software & map updates from the Alpine website.
Note: This head unit's USB port does not support Android devices.
Media File Playback: The Alpine INE-W960HDMI supports the following types of MP3/WMA/AAC music files and DivX video files recorded onto disc or loaded onto a USB device.
|Media Type||Disc (CD-R/RW, DVD-R/RW, DVD+R/RW)||USB (MSC)|
|File System||ISO 9660 Level 1/2 or Joliet||FAT 16/32|
|Playable File Types||Audio||MP3: bit rate of
8-320kbps; sampling rate of 8-48kHz |
WMA: bit rate of 64-256kbps; sampling rate of 32-48kHz
AAC: bit rate of 32-384kbps; sampling rate of 16-96kHz
|MP3: bit rate of
8-320kbps; sampling rate of 8-48kHz |
WMA: bit rate of 5-384kbps; sampling rate of 8-48kHz
AAC: bit rate of 48-238kbps; sampling rate of 8-48kHz
|Video||DivX (versions 3/4/5/6): optimum resolution of 96-720 (h) x 96-576 (v)|
|Max # of Files/Folders||2,000 files/200 folders||1,000 files/folders|
|Tags||ID3 tags, WMA tags, AAC tags, & Album Art|
Playback Modes: The Alpine INE-W960HDMI offers various playback modes for disc and USB playback.
- Pre-stop Function: When the Pre-stop function is used, the position at which playback is stopped is stored in the memory, and playback resumes from that position.
- Repeat: Select between three modes; File (repeats playback of current track/file/chapter), Group (repeats only files in current folder), All (repeats all tracks/files).
- Random (MIX): Select between two modes: All (all tracks/files on disc are played in random order), Group (only files in current folder are played back in random order).
- Slow Motion Playback: When a DVD is in the pause mode, you may move forward through the program being played one step (frame) at a time or in slow motion (1/16 or 1/2 speed), forward or backward. No audio is played during slow motion playback.
Search Modes: The Alpine INE-W960HDMI offers various search modes for disc and USB playback.
- Text/File/Folder Quick Search: When you are playing a disc with CD Text, ID3, AAC, or WMA tags, you can easily search for a track, file, or folder by its title. Once you have activated the search mode, you can use the touchscreen to quickly scan through the titles to locate the desired track. For discs without CD Text, ID3, AAC, or WMA tags, searches are made using the track numbers associated with each song.
- Direct Search: Use this function to move directly to the beginning of the a chapter or track on a disc.
- Skip (Next/Previous): During playback you can skip to the next or previous track, title, or chapter.
- Fast-Forward/Fast-Reverse: You can view a DVD in various speeds in either direction by touching and holding the fast-forward or fast-reverse button on the touch screen. You can select from 2x, 4x, or 8x, speeds.
- Frame-by-Frame: You can advance the motion picture by one frame at a time. No sound is output during forward frame-by-frame playback. You cannot execute reverse frame-by-frame playback.
24-Bit DAC: The Alpine INE-W960HDMI utilizes a Burr-Brown 24-bit Digital to Analog Converter to ensure accurate audio reproduction.
CEA-2006 Compliant: The specifications given by Alpine for the built-in amplifier comply with the CEA-2006 mobile amplifier power testing and measurement standards from the CEA (Consumer Electronics Association). All manufacturers who comply with the standard can display the CEA-2006 logo on their product.
- CEA-2006 Power Rating: 18 watts x 4 channels (at 4 ohms, 20-20kHz, 1% THD)
- Max Power Output: 50 watts x 4 channels
Note: Add the KTP-445A (500KTP445A, sold separately) Head Unit Power Pack to deliver 45 watts x 4-channel RMS of power. The KTP-445A is compact enough to install behind the Alpine receiver. It plugs in-line with the head unit's wiring harness, so you don't even need additional wires.
6ch/4V Preouts with Subwoofer Output Control: The INE-W960HDMI has three sets of 4-Volt RCA pre-outs (Front/Rear/Sub) for connection of external amplifiers. The unit's front and rear preamp output can be faded (front/rear), while the subwoofer preamp output is non-fading. The subwoofer output level can be adjusted independently from the main volume setting (0-15); so even at low volume settings the subwoofer is still audible. The subwoofer output phase can be set to Normal (0°) or Reverse (180°).
High-Pass & Low-Pass Crossovers: This unit is equipped with active high-pass and low-pass crossovers which limit the frequencies delivered to the speaker and line-level outputs. Each speaker channel is controlled independently, so each speaker pair can be driven by the frequencies for which have they been optimally designed. The crossover adjusts the HFP (high pass filter) or LPF (low pass filter) frequency point of each speaker pair, and also the slope (how fast the filter rolls off the highs or lows).
- High Pass Filter: The Alpine head unit is equipped with a high-pass filter for its speaker-level output and front/rear-channel preamp outputs. You can set the unit's high-pass filter center frequency point to 20Hz, 25Hz, 31.5Hz, 40Hz, 50Hz, 63Hz, 80Hz, 100Hz, 125Hz, 160Hz, 200Hz, or Off (through). The slope of the high pass filter can be set to 6, 12, 18, or 24 dB/oct.
- Low Pass Filter: The unit's subwoofer output low-pass filter can be set to 20Hz, 25Hz, 31.5Hz, 40Hz, 50Hz, 63Hz, 80Hz, 100Hz, 125Hz, 160Hz, 200Hz, or Off (through). The slope of the low pass filter can be set to 6, 12, 18, or 24 dB/oct.
i-Personalize Setup: Tailor your vehicle's sound setting parameters through the INE-W960HDMI's built-in i-Personalize feature. Choose your vehicle type, upholstery type, number of speakers, and speaker locations; and the INE-W960HDMI will calculate and apply the optimal sound settings for your vehicle.
- Vehicle Type: Sedan, Couple, Hatchback, Mini Van, Small SUV, Large SUV, 2DR Truck, 4DR Truck.
- Listening Position: Driver seat or All seats
- Front Speaker Size: Small (3-4"), Medium (5-6.5"), Large (6x9")
- Tweeter: Yes or No
- Rear Speaker Position: Rear Deck or Rear Door panel
- Subwoofer: Yes or No
- Car Seat Material: Leather, Fabric, Half Leather (seats are both made of leather and fabric).
Note: An online version of i-Personalize is available for even more detailed time-correction and sound tuning. Once your adjustments are made online, you can download the parameters to a USB drive and transfer the settings to the INE-W960HDMI.
Built-in Equalizer: The Alpine navigation receiver is equipped with a Preset EQ, a 9-Band Parametric EQ, and Alpine's very own Bass Engine SQ.
- Equalizer Presets: 10 typical equalizer settings are preset at the factory for a variety of music source material. Choose from Flat, Pop, Rock, News, Jazz, Electronic, Hip Hop, Easy Listening, Country, and Classical.
- 9-Band Parametric EQ: You can create three Custom EQ presets by adjusting the head unit's 9-Band Parametric Equalizer to create a response curve more appealing to your personal taste. Band 1 (20Hz-100Hz), Band 2 (63Hz-325Hz), Band 3 (125Hz-500Hz), Band 4 (250Hz-1kHz), Band 5 (500Hz-2kHz), Band 6 (1kHz-4kHz), Band 7 (2kHz-7.2kHz), Band 8 (5.8 kHz-12kHz), Band 9 (9kHz-20kHz). Bandwidth Q (1, 2, or 3). Levels (-7 to + 7).
- Bass Engine SQ: Alpine's Bass Engine SQ optimizes the sound for all speakers in the vehicle according to the music genre and mood for well-balanced and effective bass sound. Select from six Bass Engine SQ Types - Standard (Natural low-pitched sound), Punch (boosted bass sound), Rich (rich low-pitch sound), Mid Bass (emphasizes presence of upper bass), Low Bass (emphasizes presences lower bass), and Off (bypasses Bass Engine SQ).
Audio Enhancements: The INE-W960HDMI provides Time Correction, Media Xpander Pro, and Source Volume Level to enhance your listening experience in the vehicle.
- Time Correction: This unit is able to delay the audio signal to the speakers closest to the listener with its built-in Time Correction feature. This effectively creates a perception of increased distance for those speakers. Time Correction allows the listener to be placed at an equal distance between the left and right speakers for optimum staging. You can adjust the distance (0-336.6cm) or time delay (0.0-9.9msec) of each speaker and subwoofer to the listener.
- Media Xpander Pro: Alpine's exclusive Media Xpander Pro is engineered to bring out the musical details lost in compressed media, and it is adjustable per source to get the most out of your digital audio media. The Media Expander Pro makes vocals or instruments sound distinct regardless of the music source. The FM radio, CD, USB memory, iPhone/iPod, and Bluetooth Audio will be able to reproduce the music more clearly even in vehicles with a lot of road noise.
- Source Volume Level: The output level (+/-14dB) of each source can be individually adjusted. For example, if the Tuner level sounds lower than CD, its output can be adjusted without affecting the other sources.
Alpine's TuneIt App: The Alpine TuneIt app (for Apple iOS 7.1+ and Android OS 4.0+) is an easy-to-use sound-tuning app that also offers Facebook notifications. Simply download this free app onto your compatible Apple iPhone or Android smartphone to create a user profile about your vehicle and sound system. Your iPhone must be connected to the Alpine receiver via the appropriate Alpine iPod connector cable (500KCU445I or 500KCU471I; both sold separately) or the Dock-/Lightning-cable that came with your iPhone. Your Android smartphone must support A2DP/AVRCP/SPP Bluetooth profiles and be paired with the Alpine receiver. Your iPhone or Android smartphone will also need an active Data Plan account with connection to the Internet via 4G (LTE), 3G, EDGE, or WiFi.
- Sound Tuning: The Alpine TuneIt app turns your iPhone or Android smartphone into a sound tuning interface for the Alpine receiver. Follow the simple graphical instructions on your phone to adjust sound settings for your specific vehicle or choose from pre-made settings in the database. Settings that can be adjusted include Parametric EQ, Bass Engine SQ, Crossover, and Media Xpander. As you change settings on your smartphone, you will hear the results, so you can customize the sound to exactly how you want it. You can make and save up to 100 different sound settings in your account, which is helpful if you want various settings to use for specific types of music. After tuning your system, upload your settings to the Alpine Cloud Server to share them with other Alpine fans. You can also check out other user's settings and rate them. The more active you are, the higher your profile status progresses within the app.
- Facebook Notifications: The Alpine TuneIt app also keeps you in touch with your Facebook friends. When you receive a notification, you will get a visual alert on the smartphone and the head unit, plus a sound alert through your car speakers. The visual notification includes the Facebook icon and the sender's name, with the profile picture shown on the phone. You are then able to listen to the notification via TTS (Text-to-Speech) through the head unit and your vehicle's speaker. You can even "Like" the notification from the head unit's front-panel controls. In order to receive Facebook notifications on the head unit, the Alpine TuneIt app must be the active app on your smartphone.
Note: Access to the Alpine TuneIt app will depend on the availability of a cellular and/or WiFi network for purposes of allowing your iPhone or Android smartphone to connect to the Internet. You will also need to turn on the GPS function of your phone.
Beep Guide: This function will give audible feedback with varying tones depending upon the button pressed. The volume of this feature can be set from 0-7.
Audio/Video Input: The INE-W960HDMI is fitted with one rear-panel AV minijack (3.5mm) input to connect an external AV source.
HDMI Input: In addition iPhone and Android connectivity, the head unit's HDMI input can be used to connect almost any external mobile AV source with an HDMI output; such as a TV tuner, Blu-ray player, or game system. The HDMI input will provide video and audio playback. Your vehicle's parking brake will need to be engaged to view video on the receiver's screen. Playback functions will need to be controlled from your HDMI-connected device.
Video Output: A single RCA composite video-output jack allows you to an add external monitor such as rear headrest monitor (sold separately). The video output can display a DVD, USB, or AV-input video signal when its selected as the receiver's source, regardless if the vehicle's parking brake is engaged or not.
Note: The head unit's HDMI input cannot be transmitted through the video out.
Rear Camera Input: The unit features a composite video input for connecting an optional rear view camera (such as the 500HCEC125, sold separately). The rear-view camera function helps you to see behind your vehicle and provides on-screen guidelines to assist you when backing up your vehicle. If a rear-view camera is connected, you should also connect the unit's reverse lead wire (Orange/white) to your vehicle's back-up lamp circuit. When properly connected, the image from the rear-view camera automatically appears on the monitor when the vehicle is shifted into reverse. Automatic video switching takes approximately 1.0 seconds.
The Alpine INE-W960HDMI replaces these items
Q Crutchfield asked: Why did you buy this?
27 questions already asked