About the Alpine KTA-30MW Tough Power Pack
Single brick size, hits you like a ton
Single brick size, hits you like a ton
Need power for a subwoofer but don't have space for a big amp? Alpine's KTA-30MW Tough Power Pack amplifier can put out up to 300 watts RMS to your sub. The amp's compact, weather-resistant chassis and waterproof connector make it a great solution when you need bass amplification in your side-by-side, ATV, boat, motorcycle, Jeep, or convertible where contact with water and dirt become issues. And I'm not kidding when I say this amp is small — with about a 9" x 4" footprint, it'll fit just about anywhere.
The KTA-30MW uses Alpine's Dynamic Peak Power (DPP) technology to deliver a quick energy boost when needed, virtually doubling the amplifier's output power on musical peaks. The gain and crossover controls sit protected behind a water-tight panel, so even a sudden downpour won't spoil the fun.
- compact mono subwoofer amplifier
- 200 watts RMS x 1 at 4 ohms (300 watts RMS x 1 at 2 ohms)
- Class D amp technology
- Dynamic Peak Power (DPP) circuit adds a burst of power when needed
- frequency response: 20-400 Hz
- variable low-pass filter (50-400 Hz at 24 dB/octave)
- variable bass boost (0-12 dB at 50 Hz)
- preamp and speaker-level inputs
- speaker wire to RCA adapters required for speaker-level inputs
- optional wired remote control available
- weather-resistant (IP66 rated) chassis and waterproof connectors
- wiring and hardware not included with amplifier
- 10-gauge power and ground leads recommended
- fuse: 25A
- dimensions: 9-3/16"W x 1-5/8"H x 3-13/16"D
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # KTA-30MW
What's in the box:
- Mono amplifier
- 14" Power/signal harness (26-pin connector on one end and bare wires + RCAs on other end)
- 4 Self-tapping screws (Length 3/4")
- Connection sheet
- Limited Warranty sheet
- Thank you letter
More details on the Alpine KTA-30MW Tough Power Pack
Features & specs
|RMS Power Output (Watts x Channels)||
200 x 1 |
|Peak Power Output (Watts x Channels)||---|
|Power at 2 Ohms (Watts x Channels)||300 x 1|
|Bridged Power (Watts x Channels)||---|
|Minimum Impedance Bridged||---|
|Minimum Impedance Unbridged||2|
|Best Frequency Response||20-400 Hz|
|THD at Rated RMS Power||1%|
|Signal to Noise Ratio||82 dB|
|Low-Pass Crossover Frequency||50-400 Hz|
|Low-Pass Slope (dB/octave)||24 dB/octave|
|High-Pass Crossover Frequency||N/A|
|High-Pass Slope (dB/octave)||N/A|
|Bass Boost||0-12 dB|
|Bass Boost Frequency||50 Hz|
|Speaker Level Inputs||RCA|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
Overview: The Alpine KTA-30MW is a super-compact, weather-resistant mono power pack to drive a subwoofer (or two) in an open-air vehicle, such as ATV, side-by-side, motorcycle, or boats This Class D amplifier can be used with factory head units or aftermarket sound systems. The KTA-30MW comes with a single harness with all of the power, input, and output connections, terminated with a water-resistant 26-pin connector.
Class D: The KTA-30MW has a high-efficiency Class D digital circuit design. With Adaptive Feedback global modulation topology, the amp provides up to 100% more dynamic power when the music demands it.
Power Output: The KTA-30MW has the following power output specifications (CTA-2006 Power Spec - 14.4V, ≤ 1% THD+N):
- 200 watts RMS x 1 at 4 ohms
- 300 watts RMS x 1 at 2 ohms
Weather Resistant: The power pack is ideal for side-by-sides, boats, motorcycles, and other vehicles that may be exposed to the elements. The KTA-30MW has an IP66 weather-resistance rating for protection against moisture and dust.
Connections: The weather-resistant OEM-grade Tyco 26-pin connector is for all needed amp connections, including the following:
- Power/Ground: The connector has 12" 10-gauge power (red) and ground (black) pigtails. The red power wire has a large, in-line noise filter. There is no internal or in-line fuse, so you'll need to add a 30A fuse near the battery's positive (+) terminal.
- Remote Turn-on: There are two remote leads on the connector. Connect the blue/white Remote Turn-on lead to the +12V remote turn-on or power antenna lead from the head unit. The solid blue Remote Out lead can be used to turn on additional amplifiers. If your head unit does not have an amplifier turn-on lead, see Alternate Turn-on Options (below).
- Inputs: The amplifier will accept either line-level or speaker-level inputs. The amp's input wires are color-coded twisted pairs with female RCA jacks. If your source unit has RCA outputs, you can simply connect RCA cables to the amp. If the source unit does not have RCA outputs, you can cut off the amp's RCA jacks and splice the source unit's speaker wires to the twisted pair inputs. (Color codes: Left: white, Right: gray)
- Subwoofer Outputs: The connector has speaker output wires for two subwoofers. There are two brown wires (+) and two brown/black wires (-) for connecting one or two subwoofers. The amplifier will accept a 4Ω or 2Ω load.
- Remote Bass Control: An RJ-25 phone-type connector is provided for an optional remote bass control. The Alpine RUX-KNOB.2 can be added, so you can control the output of the amplifier from the front of the vehicle. The connector has a waterproof, screw-on cap to protect it from the elements when not in use.
Alternate Turn-on Options: If the source unit does not have a traditional amplifier turn-on lead, or if the power antenna lead is activated only when the radio is on, there are two options for turning on the amp:
- Switched Power Source: The remote turn-on lead of the amplifier can be connected to a switched power source (ignition) in the vehicle. A 3A fuse should be installed close to the ignition tap. The amplifier will stay on as long as the ignition switch is on.
- Separate Switch: A SPST (single-pole, single-throw) switch can be installed on the amplifier's turn-on lead. Again, a 3A fuse should be added near the power source. The switch should be placed where it is accessible by the driver. The switch will need to be turned off when the vehicle is not running to avoid running the battery down.
Controls: Hidden beneath a water-resistant side panel, the KTA-30MW's controls include the following:
- Input: The amplifier will accept line-level or speaker-level input signals. You can indicate the type of signal being used via this 2-way switch (RCA or SPK)
- Input Gain: There is a rotary gain control with markings for Minimum (MIN), Maximum (MAX), and Nominal (NOM). This lets you match the output signal of the source unit to the input of the amplifier.
- Subsonic: The subsonic filter cuts out super-low frequencies that cannot be efficiently and cleanly reproduced by the speakers. You can select the cutoff frequency with this rotary control between 5Hz and 40Hz. No slope information is provided.
- Bass EQ: You can boost the output of the amplifier at a 50Hz from 0dB to +12dB.
- LP Filter: The Low Pass Filter (LPF) filters out frequencies above the selected cutoff frequency from the subwoofer. You can turn the LPF on or off with the two-way switch, and select the cutoff frequency between 50Hz to 400Hz with the rotary dial. The LP filter has a 24dB per octave slope.
- Frequency Response: 20Hz - 400Hz
- Input Sensitivity:
- RCA: 0.2V - 4V
- Speaker: 0.5V - 10V
- S/N Ratio (1W into 4Ω): ≤ 82dB
Q Crutchfield asked: Why did you buy this?