About the Alpine PXE-0850S
Make your system sound spectacular
Make your system sound spectacular
Talk about a jack-of-all-trades. Alpine's PXE-0850S amplifier/processor will deliver high-fidelity sound to almost any car audio system, aftermarket or factory. The PXE-0850S can be used as a stand-alone sound processor, taking up to six inputs — from a factory system's high, midrange, and low frequencies for example — and providing twelve processed channels to feed your amplifiers. The PXE-0850S can also serve as a factory system upgrade — an amplifier with onboard sound processing — sending 25 watts RMS each to up eight separate speakers. This handy little magic box comes with a Bluetooth® adapter so you can stream music wirelessly from your compatible device without even needing a receiver in your system.
You control the PXE-0850S's 32-bit 300 MHz processing wirelessly with your compatible Bluetooth device or with a Windows-run PC via the supplied USB cable. You download the free PXE-DSP-APP for iOS or Android device from the Apple APP or Google Play Store. The PXE-DSP-APP for Windows is available at Alpine.com.
The control app
Matrix mixing allows for summing and input/output signal management. Fully adjustable high-pass, low-pass, and bandpass filters on every channel match the sound to your speakers. The 31-band equalizers help achieve the perfect tone, allowing you to smooth out any hot spots or dips in the frequency response of your vehicle's interior. The delay feature lets you center the stereo image for your listening position.
The PXE-0850S comes with a wired LCD remote controller so you can control volume, store and recall presets, and select between sources from the driver's seat.
- 8-channel car amplifier with digital signal processing
- 25 watts RMS x 8 at 4 ohms
- DSP adjustments and settings made via Bluetooth device, Windows PC via USB, or wired remote
- download PXE-DSP-APP for iOS or Android device from the Apple APP or Google Play Store
- download PXE-DSP-APP for Windows at Alpine.com
- inputs: 6 assignable preamp and speaker-level
- outputs: 12 processed channels (RCA)
- 12-channel 32-bit 300 MHz digital processor
- 31-band EQ with fine tuning
- adjustable high-, low-, and band-pass filters (20-20 KHz)
- selectable filter slopes (12, 18, 24, 30, 36, 42, 48 dB/octave)
- selectable filter characteristics (Butterworth, Bessel, and Linkwitz-Riley)
- delay: 0-20 milliseconds (0-273")
- phase adjustment: 0 or 180°
- includes wired LCD remote control, Bluetooth adapter, and USB cable
- remote dimensions: 3-1/2"W x 1-3/4"H x 3/4"D (1-11/16"D with knob)
- fuse rating: 20A x 1
- wiring and hardware not included with amplifier
- 10-gauge power and ground leads recommended
- dimensions: 8-5/16"W x 1-7/8"H x 7-1/2"D
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # PXE-0850S
What's in the box:
- Signal processor/amplifier
- 16.5' USB 3.0 extension cable (Type A USB 3.0 connectors on each end) with 45" pigtail for connecting remote commander (4-pin barrel connector)
- 6" Power/ground/input harness (20A ATO fuse on constant power wire)
- Two 6" Speaker output harnesses
- 2 Metal mounting brackets
- 4 Self-tapping screws (Length 3/4")
- 10 M3 x 6mm machine screws
- Remote commander with 15" cable (4-pin barrel connector)
- External Bluetooth module with 6" cable (RJ45 plug)
- Limited Warranty
- Product Registration card
- Important Information card
Alpine PXE-0850S reviews
This is a great unit and sound tweaker's paradise. The unit replaced Bose amp that I really didn't like in 2017 Mazda CX-5, along with a new set of ScanSpeak Revelator woofers and Illuminator tweeters replacing Bose. This was complemented by a power JL Audio PowerWedge+ powered subwoofer. Pretty much all the settings like crossovers, levels, polarity, delay, 32-band equalization (graphic or parametric) are available through the Alpine PXE-DSP app (on iPhone that was connected over Bluetooth to Alpine unit). One of the interesting features of the unit is Mixer that allows to connect multiple source together and mix the signals. For example, one could connect an RCA cable from a portable music player if headunit does not have one. It also allows streaming music over Bluetooth directly to the unit as well. I did have a few cases that the unit got disconnected and would not reconnect so I had to pull the plug on it (literally) and it reconnected fine and "hard" reboot. As far as power goes, while 25 x 4 does not sound like much, it *is* capable of driving my speakers (90 db sensitivity) to the volumes that make me deaf. I am guessing for some other speakers with very low sensitivity (like 84 db) it may have not enough power so just keep that in mind. Sound quality was very good although I bet a standalone amp would provide a better overall sound (can be added here as well). Happy with it overall; definitely recommended.
Pros: Easy to install, very easy to use. Virtually everything can be changed using iOS App while connected to the unit over Bluetooth connection. Sufficient power for higher sensitivity speakers (90 db woofers in my case)
Cons: Included wired remote never worked for me (was stuck on the loading screen forever). Bluetooth connection can be flaky sometime, requiring to disconnect power from the unit to be able to reconnect again.
6 of 6 found this helpful
More details on the Alpine PXE-0850S
Features & specs
|RMS Power Output (Watts x Channels)||
25 x 8 |
|Peak Power Output (Watts x Channels)||---|
|Power at 2 Ohms (Watts x Channels)||---|
|Bridged Power (Watts x Channels)||---|
|Minimum Impedance Bridged||---|
|Minimum Impedance Unbridged||4|
|Best Frequency Response||20-20k Hz|
|THD at Rated RMS Power||0.05%|
|Signal to Noise Ratio||100 dB|
|Low-Pass Crossover Frequency||20-20 KHz|
|Low-Pass Slope (dB/octave)||12, 18, 24, 30, 36, 42, 48 dB/oct|
|High-Pass Crossover Frequency||20-20 KHz|
|High-Pass Slope (dB/octave)||12, 18, 24, 30, 36, 42, 48 dB/oct|
|Bass Boost Frequency||N/A|
|Speaker Level Inputs||Harness (8 ch)|
|Preamp Outputs||6 pair|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
Overview: The Alpine PXE-0850S Advanced Wireless Digital Sound Processor lets you customize your vehicle's sound system for the best sound quality and sound staging. The processor can be used with a factory system, or with and Alpine or other brand of head unit. With 31 bands of independent equalization per channel and multiple crossovers, the processor can help you dial in the sound that's right for your vehicle. It has 6-channels of high- or low-level input from your factory or aftermarket head unit, with 8 speaker outputs and 12 preamp outputs. The PXE-0850S can connect to a Windows PC via USB, a Bluetooth-connected smartphone, or the included Remote Commander for making all your adjustments. The processor comes with a power/ground/speaker input harness, two speaker output harnesses, and a USB 3.0 interface cable.
Construction: The PXE-0850S is equipped with a Texas Instruments 32-bit DSP with 300MHz floating point processor, and a TI 24-bit premium A/D and D/A converter. The unit lets you take up to six independent signals (low, mids, and highs per side, for example) and combine them into a full range signal. This full range signal can be sent to up to 12 independent channels for an extremely versatile system.
Inputs: The processor features six channels of speaker-level inputs on the included harness and 3 pairs of RCA line level inputs on the unit. In addition, the PXE-0850S has optical (Toslink) and coaxial (RCA) S/PDIF digital inputs to play music from an in-vehicle CD or DVD, and an external Bluetooth module for connecting your smartphone.
Outputs: The PXE-0850S has 25 watts RMS output per channel x 8 channels for powering multiple pairs of speakers. It also has 12 channels of preamp level outputs. The signal of the speaker outputs mirror the first 8 RCA output channels.
User Interface Options: The Alpine PXE-0850S Digital Sound Processor can be controlled in three different ways:
- Mobile Phone App: The Alpine PXE-DSP-APP application lets you control the processor from your smartphone or tablet. The smart device connects via Bluetooth through the included External Bluetooth interface. The PXE-DSP-APP allows you to adjust the Master Volume, Switch the Output Channels to adjust, Set the EQ curve, Q-value, and Frequency Tuning, Set the Crossovers, Set the Delay, and Set the Audio Output Mixing. The app is compatible with Apple devices running iOS 8.0 or later, and Android devices with version 4.0 and up.
- PC Software: You can connect a PC to the processor via the included USB 3.0 cable. The functions of the PC software are the same as the Mobile Phone app. The graphic displays on the PC are much more detailed than the Mobile Phone App. The PC software runs on Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 10.
- Wired Controller: The included Remote Commander has limited control via its large rotary control and 1-3/8" display. The Remote Commander can adjust the Master Volume, switch the audio input source (S/PDIF, Hi.Level, Phone (Bluetooth), Aux (low level)), and set and recall the Preset Sound Effects. Further detailed settings must be made through the Mobile Phone App or PC Software.
Equalization: The PXE-0850S features 31-bands of independent equalization per channel, with both parametric and graphic EQs. In the Parametric EQ, you can adjust the frequencies between 20Hz and 20kHz. In the Graphic EQ, the frequency bands are set 1/3-octave intervals at 20, 25, 32, 40, 50, 63, 80, 100, 125, 160, 200, 250, 315, 400, 500, 630, 800, 1000, 1250, 1600, 2000, 2500, 3150, 4000, 5000, 6300, 8000, 10000, 12500, 16000, and 20000 Hz. The slope (or Q value) is adjustable between 0.404 and 28.85 in 0.01 increments. The gain of each band can be increased or decreased by up to 12dB in 0.1dB increments.
Crossovers: Each output is equipped with independent high- and low-pass filters. Bandpass filters can also be configured. For each channel, you can select the type of filter - Butterworth, Linkwitz-Riley, or Bessel. Crossover points are fully adjustable from 20Hz to 20kHz in 1Hz increments. You can choose from the following crossover slopes: 12dB, 18dB, 24dB, 30dB, 36dB, 42dB, or 48dB per octave.
Time Correction/Phase: The PXE-0850S can apply a wide degree of time correction to each of the 12 channels of output: Left and right front (low, mid, tweeter), Center, Left and right rear (mid, tweeter), and Subwoofer. You can choose the amount of delay in milliseconds (0.000 to 20), centimeters (0.00 to 692 cm) or inches (0.00 to 273"). The phase of each output can be set to positive (0°) or inverted (180°).
Presets: After you have set the EQ frequency, Q-value, and gain data, delay, channel, and phase position settings to your liking, you can save them to one of up to six different sound presets. This allows you to make different sound settings for each input type or music genre.
Protected Settings: Current settings can be protected by a six-digit password. The values of the 31-band EQ frequency, Q-value, and gain data, delay, channel, and phase settings are encrypted to prevent accidental changes or deliberate tampering with the settings.
- Frequency Response: 20Hz to 20kHz
- Dynamic Range: ≥110dB
- Signal-to-Noise Ratio: ≥100dB
- Total Harmonic Distortion: ≤0.05%
- Input Impedance: Low-level Input: 20kΩ; High-level Input: 330Ω
- Low-level Output Impedance: 51Ω
- Scope of Signal Input and Output: RCA Input: 7.5Vpp; High-level Input: 24Vpp; RCA Output: 7.5Vpp
- Power Source: DC 9V-15V
- Standby Power Consumption: ≤0.1W
- Output Signal Gain Range: Mute, -59.9dB to 0dB
- Dimensions: Width 8.261" Height 1.823" Depth 7.454"
- Remote Dimensions: Width 3.46" Height 1.71" Depth 0.75" (1.63" including knob)
- Weight: 3 pounds 9.4 ounces
Q Crutchfield asked: Why did you buy this?
11 questions already asked