About the Alpine PXE-X09
We're encountering more and more large, multi-speaker sound systems in many newer vehicles that just don't sound very good. Alpine's PXE-X09 digital signal processor (DSP) solves this problem by offering up to sixteen channels of processing that will improve the sound coming from every speaker tucked into every nook and cranny inside your vehicle.
For example, the PXE-X09 offers the flexibility you need to deal with a vehicle with tweeters in the corners of the dash, midrange and mid-bass drivers in the front doors, a center channel speaker in the dash, 2-way components in the rear doors, left and right surround speakers in the rear deck, left and right subwoofers, and a rear deck center channel speaker.
This processor will work with an aftermarket receiver, using the left and right front, rear, and subwoofer outputs, for example, for the processor's inputs, and then mix and route the signals to sixteen outputs feeding sixteen channels of amplification. The PXE-X09 can also get connected using the factory amplified signals intended for all those speakers — Alpine includes speaker wire to RCA adapters to facilitate that connection method.
If you're lucky enough to have a car stereo with a digital output, the PXE-X09 features coaxial and optical digital inputs for the cleanest connections possible. The processor comes with a Bluetooth dongle so you can both stream content into the system from your compatible device and control the DSP tuning app.
The control app
You control the processing with a Windows-run PC via the supplied USB cable or wirelessly with your compatible Bluetooth device. You download the free PXE-X09 Tuning App for iOS or Android device from the Apple APP or Google Play Store. The PXE-X09 Sound Manager for Windows is available at Alpine.com.
What it can do
Matrix mixing allows for summing and input/output signal management. Fully adjustable high-pass, low-pass, and bandpass filters on every channel match the sound to each speaker. The 31-band equalizers, both parametric and graphic, help achieve the perfect tone, allowing you to smooth out any hot spots or dips in the frequency response of your vehicle's interior. The delay feature lets you center the stereo image for your listening position.
The processor comes with a wired remote controller so you can control volume, store and recall presets, and select between sources from the driver's seat.
Alpine PXE-X09 input panel
- DSP adjustments and settings made via Bluetooth device, Windows PC via USB, or wired remote
- includes wired LCD remote control, Bluetooth adapter, and USB cable
- 16-channel digital signal processor
- download PXE-X09 Tuning App for iOS or Android device from the Apple APP or Google Play Store
- download PXE-X09 Sound Manager for Windows at Alpine.com
- inputs: 16 assignable preamp and speaker-level, optical and coaxial digital
- RCA adapters for speaker-level inputs included
- outputs: 16 processed channels (RCA)
- 16-channel 24-bit 96 KHz digital processor
- 10-band input equalization (graphic or parametric)
- 31-band output equalization (graphic or parametric)
- adjustable high-, low-, and band-pass filters (20-20,000 Hz)
- selectable filter slopes (12, 18, 24, 30, 36, 42, 48 dB/octave)
- selectable filter characteristics (Butterworth, Bessel, and Linkwitz-Riley)
- delay: 0-20 milliseconds (0-273")
- phase adjustment: 0 or 180°
- built-in real-time analyzer (RTA)
- can store and recall up to 6 presets
- dimensions: 9-3/4"W x 2-5/16"H x 8-5/16"D
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # PXE-X09
What's in the box:
- 16-Channel DSP processor
- Dash-mount remote commander w/ attached 15.5" connector (4-pin proprietary)
- Bluetooth module w/ attached 5" connector (RJ-45)
- 16' USB Cable (type-A 3.0 both ends) w/ attached 46" remote commander cable (4-pin proprietary)
- 16 Input connectors (RCA to set-screw terminals)
- 12" 4-Pin wiring harness (inline 10A mini-ATC fuse)
- 4 Mounting brackets
- Four 3/4" screws
- Eight 1/8" machine-screws
- Owner's manual
- Warranty information
More details on the Alpine PXE-X09
Overview: The Alpine PXE-X09 Hi-Resolution Digital Sound Processor lets you integrate aftermarket amplifiers and speakers into your vehicle without replacing the factory headunit. The processor can also be used with any aftermarket head unit. The PXE-X09 features 10-band parametric or graphic EQ on each input channel and 31-band parametric or graphic EQ on each output. Combined with high- and low-pass filters as well as time correction for each channel, the PXE-X09 offers unprecedented tone shaping control. The Alpine processor features 16-channels of high- or low-level input from your factory or aftermarket head unit, and 16 preamp outputs, all assignable via a mixing matrix. The PXE-X09 can connect to a Windows PC via USB, or a Bluetooth-connected smartphone for making all of your adjustments. Sixteen input connectors are provided, with RCA plugs on one end and set-screw terminals on the other end for connecting high- or low-level input signals.
Processing: The PXE-X09 features a 24-bit/96kHz sampling rate with a 294.9MHz processor, and a 24-bit/216kHz premium A/D and D/A converter.
Inputs: The Alpine processor features 16 RCA inputs that can accept either low- or high-level signals. RCA-to-speaker wire adapters are included for each input channel, if running high-level inputs. In addition, the PXE-X09 includes an optical (Toslink) and a coaxial (RCA) S/PDIF digital input, to play music from an in-vehicle CD or DVD, and an external Bluetooth module for connecting your smartphone. The optical, coaxial, and Bluetooth inputs can be blended in with the output signal via a Mix page in the Mobile Phone App or PC Software. Sixteen preset input configuration options, along with a customizable setup option, are available. These range from a simple 2-channel input all the way up to a more complex 16-channel input configurations, allowing individual tweeter, midrange, and woofer inputs to be matrixed to any of the outputs. Input channels can be Linked together when using stereo inputs, allowing channel settings to be applied to both simultaneously.
Outputs: The PXE-X09 includes 16 pre-amp level output channels for running to outboard amplifiers (sold separately). Like the input configuration, 16 pre-configured output selections are available along with a customizable output mode.
User Interface Options: The Alpine PXE-X09 Digital Sound Processor can be controlled in three different ways:
- Mobile Phone App: The Alpine PXE-X09 application, available at the Apple App and Google Play Stores, lets you configure and control the processor from your smartphone or tablet. The smart device connects via Bluetooth through the included External Bluetooth interface. The PXE-X09 app allows you to adjust the Master Volume, switch the Output Channels, set the EQ curve, Q-value, and Frequency Tuning, along with setting the Crossovers, Delay, and Audio Output Mixing. The app is compatible with Apple devices running iOS 9.0 or later, and Android devices with version 4.0 and up.
- PC Software: You can connect a PC to the processor via the included USB 3.0 cable. The functions of the PC software are the same as the Mobile Phone app. The graphic displays on the PC are much more detailed than the Mobile Phone App. The PC software runs on Windows versions XP, Vista, 7, 8, and 10.
- Wired Controller: The included Remote Commander has limited control via its large rotary control and 1.25" display. The Remote Commander can adjust the Master Volume, select the Main Source as well as the Mix Source - S/PDIF, Optical, Bluetooth, Aux (low level)), Hi-Level (speaker level), set/recall Preset Configurations, and adjust the Subwoofer level. Further detailed settings must be made through the Mobile Phone App or PC Software. The controller can be flush-mounted to a dash panel (cutting required), or attached with Velcro or double-sided adhesive (both sold separately).
Equalization: The PXE-X09 features 10-bands of graphic or parametric EQ for each input channel, and 31-bands of graphic or parametric EQ per output channel.
- Input EQ:
- Parametric: Each of the 10 selectable bands features a frequency adjustment range from 20Hz -20kHz with 1Hz increments. Each selected band includes a Q adjustment that ranges from 0.404 (narrowest) up to 28.852 (widest). A gain adjustment for each band has a range of +12dB to -12dB.
- Graphic: The graphic EQ includes 10 fixed frequency bands at: 31Hz, 65Hz, 125Hz, 250Hz, 500Hz, 1kHz, 2kHz, 4kHz, 8kHz, and 16kHz. Each band has a fixed Q at 1.007 and a level range from +12dB to -12dB.
- Output EQ:
- Parametric: Each of the 31 selectable bands features a frequency adjustment range from 20Hz -20kHz with 1Hz increments. Each selected band includes a Q adjustment that ranges from 0.404 (narrowest) up to 28.852 (widest). A gain adjustment for each band has a range of +12dB to -12dB.
- Graphic: The output graphic EQ includes 31 fixed frequency bands at: 20Hz, 25Hz, 32Hz, 40Hz, 50Hz, 63Hz, 80Hz, 100Hz, 125Hz, 160Hz, 200Hz, 250Hz, 315Hz, 400Hz, 500Hz, 630Hz, 800Hz, 1kHz, 1.25kHz, 1.6kHz, 2.0kHz, 2.5kHz, 3.15kHz, 4kHz, 5kHz, 6.3kHz, 8kHz, 10kHz, 12.5kHz, 16kHz, and 20kHz. Each band has a fixed Q at 1.007 and a level range from +12dB to -12dB.
Crossovers: Each input and output channel is equipped with independent high- and low-pass filters. Bandpass filters can also be configured. For each channel, you can select the type of filter - Butterworth, Linkwitz-Riley, or Bessel. Crossover points are fully adjustable from 20Hz to 20kHz in 1Hz increments. You can choose from the following crossover slopes: 6dB, 12dB, 18dB, 24dB, 30dB, 36dB, 42dB, or 48dB per octave.
Time Correction/Phase: The PXE-X09 can apply a wide degree of time correction to each of the 16 output channels, with a delay time ranging from 0.0 to 20 milliseconds. The phase of each output can be set to positive (0°) or inverted (180°).
Presets: After you have set the EQ frequency, Q-value, and gain data, delay, channel, and phase position settings to your liking, you can save them to one of up to 6 different sound Presets. This allows you to make different sound settings for each input type or music genre. Presets can be quickly selected using the provided wired controller, or using the app or PC software.
- Frequency Response: 20Hz to 20kHz
- Dynamic Range: ≥110dB
- Signal-to-Noise Ratio: ≥100dB
- Total Harmonic Distortion: ≤0.005%
- Input Impedance: Aux Input (low-level): 47kΩ; High-level Input: 240Ω
- Low-level Output Impedance: 51Ω
- System Sampling Rate: 24-bit/96kHz
- Optical/Coaxial Input Sampling Rate: 28kHz - 216kHz
- A/D & D/A Conversion: 24-bit/216kHz
- Power Source: DC 9V-15V
- Standby Power Consumption: ≤0.1W
- Dimensions: Width = 9.69" Height = 2.25" Depth = 8.31"/10.40" (incl. wiring)
- Remote Dimensions: Width = 3.64" Height = 1.90" Depth = 1.26" (including knob)
- Weight: 5.16 lbs.
5 questions already asked