About the Alpine X009-GM In-Dash Restyle System
Live larger with this 9" touchscreen receiver
Live larger with this 9" touchscreen receiver
You like to live large with your GM vehicle — why else would you drive a 2007-14 Avalanche, Sierra, Silverado, Suburban, Tahoe, or Yukon? Alpine's X009-GM navigation receiver boasts the aftermarket industry's biggest touchscreen to date, a massive 9" diagonal display that offers 41% more viewing area than a 7" screen. Even though it's sure to catch the attention of your passengers, it's a highly practical piece of hardware that combines reliable guidance, connectivity options, sonic enhancements, and a custom dash kit that fits your vehicle perfectly for a factory feel.
The X009-GM's dash kit fits right in your GM truck or SUV's dashboard.
How does it fit?
Alpine includes a Restyle package designed to accommodate the X009-GM in specific 2007-up GM and Chevrolet vehicles with the low-radio dash style with the air vents above the factory radio. (Got a radio in the upper dash? You'll need the X009-GM2 receiver.) This package contains a dash piece which replaces a section of your dash, housing the receiver, along with wiring adapters that plug directly into the factory electronics and wiring. Alpine even gives you an iDatalink module that allows you to keep your steering wheel controls and other stock features you've grown fond of. Once you've identified your vehicle, we'll tell you if this GM kit fits in your ride.
Factory functionality with an integrated look
The installation kit doesn't physically replicate your GM's stock dash, but it does offer the same features. Big buttons along either side of the 9" display offer simple access to commonly used functions, plus you can see what's behind you without putting your vehicle into reverse if you've got a compatible rear-view camera. The dash kit also offers custom keys that match lighting, color, shape, and style of your factory GM keys, and it lets you keep your 12-volt ports, climate controls, and the separate digital display (if you already had one) so you can keep track of the temperature inside and outside your vehicle.
You'll see your maps so easily on the 9" display, and you'll enjoy access to seven million points of interest and detailed road maps all across the entire U.S. and Canada. You'll also have time-saving aids like lane guidance, realistic views of complicated interchanges, and 3D representations of buildings, landmarks, and terrain to help keep you on the right path. You'll also receive real-time traffic reports in most metropolitan areas for as long as you own the stereo, at no additional cost.
Built-in Bluetooth®, plus shortcuts to favorites
Built-in Bluetooth allows you to use the X009-GM for hands-free calling and music streaming through your compatible phone. The touchscreen buttons for dialing and volume are larger than ever, for convenient operation. Alpine includes an external microphone to maximize the fidelity of your conversations.
The receiver's "Favorites" button gives you quick access to features you use frequently, like specific radio stations, phone numbers, destination searches, sound settings...anything you'll want to pull up instantly. One touch adds your choice directly to the favorites menu. Your favorites are tied to your phone's Bluetooth profile, so the X009-GM brings up your favorites automatically when you get into your vehicle. You can have up to two user profiles tied to the stereo, with up to 80 favorites per user spread across 10 touchscreen pages. When the stereo detects two users at the same time, it can offer split-screen access to both users' favorites, so either user can gain control of the action in a jiffy.
Fun and flexible
Not only does the X009-GM offer easy touchscreen access, you can use the kit's side buttons to quickly pull up functions like favorites, navigation, phone access, and sound settings without going through menu screens. You can create a custom top source banner that shows the audio sources you use most frequently, so you don't have to scroll anywhere to choose between a disc player, radio station, or MP3 player. The X009-GM also offers split-screen sound tuning, so you can adjust the sonic controls and change the tracks at the same time, for adjustments that don't waste time.
HD Radio™, Pandora® Internet radio, and more
The X009-GM comes ready to play with a plethora of entertainment options:
- HD Radio reception: You'll enjoy crystal-clear sound quality from participating AM and FM stations, including FM that sounds almost as good as a CD. Plus, you'll see station and song info on the screen.
- Pandora® Internet radio: Pandora lovers will love touchscreen control over their stations, including thumbs up and down, bookmarks, and station lists. Just plug your iPhone® into the USB port or use Bluetooth audio with your Android™ device.
- iPhone and iPod® control: Browsing for your favorite songs is simple and concise, thanks to an intuitive touchscreen interface and the huge display. You can check out song title, artist info, and album art with a quick glance at the big screen.
- Satellite radio compatibility: You can add SiriusXM programming to the receiver with an optional tuner and your paid subscription.
A wealth of connections
The X009-GM also features an MHL-compatible HDMI input, allowing you to connect most compatible Android smartphones and devices. With the correct HDMI cable connected, you'll be able to view video content from your phone or a portable Blu-ray Disc™ player on the Alpine's screen while parked. You also keep your front auxiliary input through the dash kit and get a rear USB port, plus a rear A/V input and output. An optical digital output lets you connect directly to Alpine's PXA-H800 audio processor.
You can also connect up to two cameras, so you can see more of what's around your vehicle when getting in and out of tight spots. Dual-zone output means your rear-seat passengers can enjoy movies on your optional video monitors while you enjoy some music up front. If you're looking to add subs and amps, you can take advantage of three sets of high-voltage preamp outputs.
Enhanced sonic controls
Alpine's audio engineers have loaded special Sound Parameters Settings into this receiver for all the vehicles covered by Restyle packages. You pick the one that matches your vehicle to get sound that's custom-EQ'd and time-corrected for your vehicle's acoustics. Tailored sound, no tweaking required.
The X009-GM also works with Alpine's TuneIt 2.0 smartphone app, which is a real time-saver for making audio fixes. For starters, it allows you to create a user profile with info about your vehicle and Alpine system, including speakers and subs. You can then follow simple instructions for adjusting sound settings for your specific vehicle (if available), or choose from pre-made settings within the app designed by Alpine for both the vehicle and your speakers.
You can use your phone's touchscreen to make the changes to the 9-band parametric equalizer, crossover, and time correction with just a fingertip. You can then share your system and settings with other TuneIt app users, and see what they've done as well. You can link your TuneIt account to your Facebook account and get notifications through social media.
The TuneIt 2.0 app also offers Alpine's Bass Engine SQ tuning feature, which lets you determine which low-frequency characteristics you want to emphasize. It automatically adjusts EQ, sub level, and crossover settings to give you the kind of bass you desire without hassle.
Siri® Eyes Free for non-distracting operation
Got an iPhone with Siri? This receiver supports Siri Eyes Free, which means you can ask Siri to make calls, select and play music, compose and hear text messages, read notifications, even use maps and get directions — all commanded by your voice through your Alpine receiver, without any visual distractions from your Apple® device.
The included iDatalink Maestro lets you keep your car's factory extras
The X009-GM offers compatibility you won't find in many other aftermarket radios, thanks to the iDatalink Maestro module. You'll keep your steering wheel audio controls, your factory amp, safety warning chimes, and OnStar, if present. The iDatalink adapter also lets you tap into your vehicle's diagnostic port, so you can check out expanded functionality including gauges, climate controls, a distance sensor, and tire pressure monitor on the Alpine's screen, depending on your vehicle.
iPod/smartphone note: If you're going to use your iPod or smartphone with this receiver, be sure to check "Details" for compatibility information.
Bluetooth note: Use of this receiver's Bluetooth features will depend upon your phone's Bluetooth capabilities. Learn more in our article explaining Bluetooth profiles.
Installation Note: You will have to make some modifications to your vehicle to install this Alpine receiver. Once you've identified your vehicle, you'll see more details in the "Read before you buy" note.
- DVD/CD player with 9" touchscreen and AM/FM tuner
- custom-fit receiver designed for select 2007-14 GM trucks and SUVs with low-radio style dash
- includes Alpine Restyle package with all installation parts
- includes iDatalink Maestro ADS-MRR module
- retains factory features, including steering wheel controls and OnStar
- displays engine performance data on touchscreen
- built-in amplifier (18 watts RMS CEA-2006/50 peak x 4 channels)
- built-in Bluetooth for hands-free calling and audio streaming
- built-in HD Radio tuner
- built-in iPod and iPhone control (see Details for info on compatibility with specific smartphones and apps)
- Siri Eyes Free control with select iPhones
- Pandora control with iPhone
- built-in Android control
- Pandora control via Bluetooth connection
- MHL-compatible HDMI cable required for viewing video content from compatible Android devices
- built-in navigation system with 3D representations of buildings, landmarks, and terrain
- maps of the United States and Canada, plus 7 million points of interest
- free lifetime TMC traffic service in metropolitan areas
- text-to-speech voice prompts announce actual road names at turns
- lane assistance and junction view
- plays CDs, DVDs, and USB memory devices (see Details for full capabilities)
- compatible with Alpine TuneIt 2.0 app for sonic profile settings and adjustments through your smartphone
- 9-band parametric EQ
- time correction
- high- and low-pass crossovers
- compatible with Alpine's PXA-H800 IMPRINT audio processor
- dual-zone A/V output
- compatible with SiriusXM satellite radio tuner
- inputs: MHL-compatible HDMI input, rear USB input, rear A/V input (can be used as a second camera input), rear-view camera input, front aux input (in dash kit)
- outputs: digital optical output; rear A/V output; 6-channel preamp outputs (4-volt front, rear, subwoofer)
What's in the box:
- Alpine X009-GM:
- Navigation receiver (map card pre-installed)
- Aux/pre-out harness
- Camera harness
- GPS antenna (w/ attached 11.5' cable)
- 5' USB extension cable
- Self-adhesive magnetic mount
- 3 Cable-clips
- Eight M8 screws
- Self-adhesive foam strip
- Owner's Manual on CD-ROM
- Audio/Video Quick Reference Guide
- Navigation Quick Reference Guide
- Alpine Registration Card
- NAVTEQ Registration Card
- Alpine GTX-009-GM Kit:
- Dash kit
- 2 Key harnesses
- 2 Mounting brackets
- Rear-support bracket
- 12 Mounting screws
- M8 machine screw
- Self-adhesive rubber strip Cutout Template
- Installation Instructions
- iDataLink ALP-MRR Maestro:
- Radio replacement interface module
- Main harness
- Navigation adapter
- 2 Bose adapter harnesses
- RSE AV harness
- Camera harness
- Chime speaker
- 7" miniUSB-to-USB cable
Alpine X009-GM In-Dash Restyle System reviews
Just an awesome system, easy to read, great big screen, really great. Small issue with install, couldn't figure out how to connect the satellite radio modules together & had to call Alpine tech support to help.
Pros: Exactly what I wanted for my truck, really good quality system.
Cons: Directions didn't help with satellite radio.
0 of 0 found this helpful
Great system for 2013. Less so now in 2019. The graphical interface is pretty annoying and dated but the real power in this system is the large screen, and all the stuff Alpine is known for. Great equalizers, preamps, lots of inputs/outputs for media, expandability.
Pros: Powerful head unit. Preamps, hdmi, dual camera inputs.
Cons: Lack of detailed installation instructions. Large price tag.
0 of 0 found this helpful
Software to slow Car on reverse ,see cam but not music. Equalizer to complicated Don't have simple treble, bass and fader control.
0 of 0 found this helpful
I bought the scratch and dent, save a couple hundred bucks and it was missing some nonessential stuff that I didn't need. Bottom line this thing looks great, sounds good is everything it was described. The only criticism I will give it, is it a little slow to boot up. thank you
2 of 2 found this helpful
Several cables and equipment needed to complete the install the X009 were not included and noted in the installation guide. Poor technical assistance by Alpine techs. I ended up returning the unit. I did have great support from the Crutchfield techs.
0 of 0 found this helpful
Love the unit. Great look and functionality. Cons are getting the maestro programmed.
1 of 1 found this helpful
system is awesome, but it would be nice to have all the parts to install in the first time. What's the point entering in the car info if you still cant ship out what I need.
2 of 2 found this helpful
Very nice head unit. Lots of features but some quirks. I bought this more for the stereo side. Parametric EQ LPF subwoofer output and various inputs. Love the sound but complicated to use and install. Suggest getting a pro. Navigation seems good so far.
Pros: Lots of features, great sound and huge display. Alpine brand quality. Works with factory controls. Vehicle info is nice feature.
Cons: Expensive unit. Safety features are annoying. Cannot access set up unless in park (or video over ride installed). Manuals not the most user friendly.
11 of 11 found this helpful
Installation: The instructions in the box are very vague and incomplete. Luckily connections pretty much only fit in one hole and you can figure it out. Took a couple evenings to get everything sorted out. Navigation: haven't used it a lot but it seems to work just fine. One thing that I like is that you can search for a location while the vehicle is still moving. FM Radio: Works great XM: It seems to not update the title of the song and radio station at least once a week. Start again and it works out. Buttons on the sides: Great functions and easy to use Settings: A big pain in the butt. you have to be in park with the parking brake set, and the brake pedal pushed to go into advanced settings. But you really only use that once and set things up the way you want. Source Selection: I wish that you could select with sources you want and don't want to show on this. You can set up what order you want them to show up in, but it hasn't saved the order right one time when I do that. Camera: My stock rear camera displays in the rearview mirror. I would want to get a camera for the head unit and will later. I'm sure I could reroute the rearview camera feed somehow, but have not messed with it yet.
Pros: Awesome functions that bring my car up to date with technology like in my wife's fully loaded 2015 vehicle
Cons: Vague installation instructions. Some things don't quite save settings perfectly
10 of 10 found this helpful
Used it to replace stock non-nav head unit. Looks nice because of the custom design. Definitely makes the Bose speakers sound better but I'm sure with new speakers and sub it will shine. It was hard choosing it though because the tech is outdated along with software but does what I need it to do. There are better units out there as far as capabilities. Alpine seems to not care that Kenwood and Pioneer are smoking them in regards to tech advances and this really isn't worth the price now tbh. I bought for aesthetics first so looks were worth it to me.
Pros: Relatively easy install with some great help from Crutchfield. Looks!
Cons: Dated software/hardware with Alpine basically telling me there will not be further upgrades. Only 1 usb with limited function. Can't connect simultaneously 2 phones. Some quirks like background noise and odd chimes but might be install issue since I did it myself. Price is way off considering you are paying for looks at this point instead of features.
16 of 17 found this helpful
It fit's perfect in my truck, it looks beautiful and works find.
Pros: everything in this radio is perfect what can I say more
Cons: the nav. voice does not mention the street name where you are going to turn .
12 of 12 found this helpful
Pros: A bunch !
Cons: The staff at Crutchfield neglected to tell me that an extra purchase was necessary to receive SERIUS-XM . So I had to go back to the installer to have that installed . Not a big deal. But i did ask him if everything was included when the order was made !.
11 of 14 found this helpful
So am enjoying the unit it looks really nice still setting it up
Pros: Connection was ok had to call support a couple of times. Got that taken care of
Cons: Some wiring was in the installation manual.I love the x009gm
1 of 3 found this helpful
Very nice fit that plugs into the existing hardware. The instructions are not step by step and were a little confusing, but watching a video showed the missed steps. Looks great and plays great. Many great features. A great upgrade!
Pros: Great fit, factory look with many great features
Cons: Instructions could be step by step and clearer
5 of 5 found this helpful
Good effort. Needs some refinement. I can't knock it for features I knew it didn't have. For this price I hope they update with CarPlay and Android Auto support. I just they keep up the support for it regardless. Audio selection bar should move the whole row instead of having to press numerous times to get a different source. I would recommend but may advise to wait on next version.
Pros: Big Screen Somewhat easy to install Looks good Somewhat responsive. Favorites menu
Cons: 1 USB port Screen could be brighter even with dimmer off Higher Res screen Procedure to get to settings. Should just work when in park. Improve Lag
12 of 13 found this helpful
Worth every dime! Got this radio installed as soon as I got it. The radio works flawlessly, operation of the radio is easy and fun. A lot of features. The installation was a moderate level, but crutchfield was a phone call away! I was about to buy a 2015 chevy Bc I wanted a better head unit, but when I came across alpine x009 I was like wow! Gives the interior that nice look. Overall a great head unit. Best investment ever!
5 of 5 found this helpful
This Unit is really a nice system, but coming from a Kenwood, it is quite limited. Theres only 1 USB input, so if you want to play movies from HD on rear monitors, you cant plug in to play music from or charge your phone. Dual Zone is limited compared to kenwood. The touch screen is pretty slow, sometimes I have to touch it twice before getting a response. The sound tuning and user settings are very indepth and complicated for the typical user. Worst feature for me is the safety feature. You have to Stop, park, brake and unbrake to make any adjustments. No more adjusting sound, using GPS, etc while at traffic light. The system, looks great in my Yukon, I love the Big Screen and Maestro features, but if Kenwood made a 9 in screen, I would chose kenwood over Alpine.
Pros: Looks great in a Big Truck, Big Screen, Maestro features, Clear Sound
Cons: Single USB input, steep learning curve
18 of 21 found this helpful
This unit truly is worth the extra money. If you add it all up another unit costs 1,000 to 1,600 plus the maestro module, dash kit, wiring harness any additional wires for installation that might be needed. The Alpine X-009 has all that included, not to mention the replacement dash piece that combined with the 9 inch screen really gives that WOWfactor. Which I contribute to be worth the extra money. Crutchfield and Alpine give you excellent installation help, all the wires can be a little over whelming but a couple phone calls and I had it installed in no time.
Pros: 9 inch screen Custom dash kit/ one off look vehicle diagnostics relatively easy installation
5 of 6 found this helpful
The fit and finish is perfect and the sounds and functions are superperb. This head unit will bring your factory Bose system to life, night and day different! Highly recommended
Pros: Sound, functions and fit/finish
Cons: Installation instructions are weak and the wiring could be cleaner for oem aplication
5 of 5 found this helpful
This unit is fantastic. Only had a few days, still learning all it's functions but I'm totally impressed so far. Installed it in my 2012 GMC Sierra SLE, and couldn't be happier with the large screen, the way it integrates into the dash. Would highly recommend this upgrade to anyone with a GMC vehicle. Well worth the hefty price tag!!
Pros: large screen, functionality both entertainment and vehical wise, ease of use, great sound
Cons: only my ignorance as to all the functionality the unit offers
9 of 9 found this helpful
The best stereo I've ever invested in. Love it , there so much to this unit and I am loving it. It looks factory in my 2012 avalanche.
4 of 4 found this helpful
Upgraded from the factory navigation to the much larger 9" display, this heady it does anything and everything you could ever want! Much easier to see and the side keys makes operation a breeze!
Pros: Huge display large factory appearing side buttons pretty much everything
Cons: None so far
8 of 8 found this helpful
WOW.. WHAT A GREAT UNIT JUST INSTALL IN 2010 GMC YUKON....WOW ...WORTH EVERY DIME...AMAZING I WILL BE PLAYING WITH THIS ON FOR A MINUTE,,,,TWO CAMERA...TWO CEILING MONITORS..THE NAV IS GREAT.....ALPINE NAILED THIS ONE........
4 of 4 found this helpful
Great factory look from an aftermarket unit!
Pros: Multi optional accessories
Cons: Video safety feature...
11 of 17 found this helpful
More details on the Alpine X009-GM In-Dash Restyle System
Vehicle Compatibility: The Alpine X009-GM in-dash navigation receiver is designed specifically to be installed in the following Chevrolet and GMC trucks and SUVS (as of 7/3/2014).
Restyle System Dash Kit: The Alpine X009-GM navigation receiver includes Alpine's G-KTX-009-GM Restyle System dash kit which allows the aftermarket head unit to fit seamlessly into select Chevrolet and GMC trucks and SUVS. The dash kit is made of specially formed OEM-grade, high-quality, high-strength ABS plastic that has been color-matched to the factory dash. Extra care has been taken to match the factory dash's shape, texture, and color ensuring a more OEM-like appearance. Unlike traditional universal dash kits, the Alpine Restyle System dash kit includes direct fit OEM-like brackets to ensure sturdy support and accurate positioning of the radio in your vehicle's dash.
OEM-Like Button & Aux Configuration: The G-KTX-009-GM Restyle System dash kit is equipped with OEM-quality dedicated hard keys that match your GM's dash lighting for a truly uniform look. The hard keys are fully integrated for quick access to core functions such as navigation, vehicle information, volume, phone access, My Favorites and rear camera view (when used with an optional camera system). The dash kit also contains a front-panel Aux (3.5mm) input for retention of your vehicle's factory auxiliary input, which can be sent to the vehicle's rear seat entertainment system.
iDataLink Maestro Interface: The Alpine X009-GM navigation receiver also includes the iDataLink Maestro (ALP-MRR) radio replacement interface with radio and vehicle harness. The iDataLink Maestro interface retains the following features when replacing your Chevy/GMC factory radio with the Alpine aftermarket navigation receiver.
- OnStar: The vehicle's factory OnStar emergency services system is retained and still fully functional.
- Amplifier: Your vehicle's factory digital amplifier is retained with fader from the aftermarket head unit.
- Bluetooth: You'll still be able to use your vehicle's built-in Bluetooth system and microphone for Phone and Audio features.
- Satellite Radio Tuner: The iDatalink Maestro retains the factory Satellite Radio tuner. Satellite Radio can only be retained, if your vehicle has an external tuner; not built into the factory radio.
- Rear Seat Entertainment: You can still send audio/video to the vehicle's factory rear seat entertainment (RSE) system; may require PAC's GMRVD2 harness (sold separately).
- Rear View Camera: You can continue to view your backup camera on the Alpine aftermarket head unit's touchscreen monitor.
- Warning Chimes: All factory warning chimes are also retained by the included external chime speaker module.
Note: Retained features may vary by vehicle model.
Steering Wheel Controls: The iDatalink Maestro also lets you retain your vehicle's factory steering wheel controls when replacing the Chevy/GMC factory radio with this Alpine aftermarket head unit. You'll even be able to assign secondary press & hold functions to the buttons of your choice.
Extra Features: In conjunction with the iDatalink Maestro radio replacement module, the Alpine X009-GM even provides additional features like user selectable Performance Gauges, Vehicle Information (Tire Pressure/Battery Voltage/Check Engine Codes/Door Ajar Warning), and Visual Park Assist. Customized vehicle information may vary by vehicle model.
Flashing the Module: The iDataLink Maestro module must be connected to your Windows PC and flashed with a specific firmware (SR-GMS05-DS) from the iDatalink website. The supplied USB cable plugs into your PC and allows you to "flash" the Maestro RR with the appropriate firmware to prepare it for installation. Simply visit iDatalink's Weblink site, and follow the instructions. System Requirements for Weblink 6.0 include:
- Windows 2000 (SP4), XP (SP2), Vista, and 7
- Administrative rights on your PC
- Internet Explorer 7.0 or greater (excluding 64-bit version)
- Available USB port
Note: iDatalink Maestro RR is not compatible with a Mac.
Pre-Wired Harness: The radio, vehicle, and interface harnesses comes pre-wired, so all you need to do is plug the appropriate connector in the back of the Alpine X009-GM, iDatalink Maestro (ALP-MRR), G-KTX-009-GM Restyle System dash kit, and the vehicle's factory radio plugs. Even the navigation outputs (Vehicle Speed Sense, Foot Brake, Parking Brake, and Reverse Light) are pre-wired to make installation much simpler and less time consuming.
Motorized 9" Touchscreen Display: The X009-GM has a 9" WVGA (1.15 million-pixel) touchscreen LCD monitor (with 16:9 aspect ratio) that serves as a video monitor, information display, and system controller. The X009-GM's touchscreen monitor provides a more balanced picture, not over-emphasizing dark or light areas, so movies are seen with greater clarity. All of the graphics are crisp and clean for your viewing pleasure. For better visibility you can adjust the monitor's angle; choose flat or one of five settings angled upward. The monitor electronically slides down for loading or ejecting a disc.
Start Up Time: The Alpine X009-GM has a start up time of approximately 4.75 seconds from Off to the Navigation or AV source screen.
Dual Screen: The Alpine X009-GM lets you display the Navigation and Audio/Visual screens simultaneously, side-by-side. You can switch the right and left screens using simple drag & drop touchscreen commands.
My Favorite Shortcut Screens: The "My Favorites" feature lets you customize quick-access screens with up to eighty shortcuts to your most-used features. Two separate users can each design as many as ten "Favorites" page profiles with eight shortcuts per page. Shortcuts can be created from audio sources, navigation commands (favorite places/direct search/nearest POI search), and phone settings (favorite contact/direct call). The shortcuts are easily added by pressing the shortcut soft key that appears within all audio and hands-free sources. The Alpine system recognizes each user's profile via Bluetooth wireless technology from his or her smartphone and automatically loads the user's system preferences when he or she enters the vehicle.
Display Settings: The Alpine X009-GM offers the following settings to customize the head unit's LCD touchscreen monitor.
- Display Colors: You can choose from five different background colors for the display; Black, Blue, Red, Green, or Amber.
- Display Modes: You can select one of the following display modes - Wide (evenly stretches a 4:3 picture horizontally to fit the widescreen monitor), Cinema (displays a 4:3 picture by stretching out the picture horizontally and vertically), or Normal (displays a normal picture at the center of the screen with vertical black bands on each side).
- Visual EQ Mode: You can select one of the following preset modes suitable for the video image - Off (initial setting), Night (suitable for movies with dark scenes), Soft (suitable for animated films), Sharp (suitable for old movies with less clarity), or Contrast (suitable for recent movies). You can also create two custom presets by manually adjusting the monitors Brightness, Color, Tint, Contrast, and Sharpness.
- Backlight Control: You adjust the brightness of the LCD backlight from -15 to +15. You can then select one of the following modes for the LCD's fluorescent backlight - Auto (adjusts the brightness of the background illumination based on the ambient light in your vehicle), On (keeps the background illumination of the monitor dark), or Off (keeps the background illumination of the monitor bright).
Note: You can also turn the touchscreen completely off at night, if the display is too bright when simply listening to audio and have no need for a monitor display.
Clock Display: The X009-GM lets you select between a 12 hour or 24 hour clock. The clock is displayed on each source screen and turns off when the head unit is powered down. Once you have launched and accepted navigation mode, the unit's clock syncs up with the internal navigation system, so it automatically adjusts to your time based on your location. Whether you are in Hawaii or New York, the X009-GM will adjust and display the appropriate time.
Video Lock-out Feature: For safety and legal reasons, the X009-GM features a video lock-out feature to prevent the driver from viewing a video source while the vehicle is in motion. To watch a video source, the vehicle must be parked with the ignition in the ACC or ON position. The vehicle's parking brake must be engaged, disengaged, and engaged again while the foot brake is held in. This also pertains to the receiver's System, Audio/Video, Navigation, and Bluetooth Setup Menus.
NAVTEQ Map Data: The Alpine X009-GM offers reliable navigation with preloaded NAVTEQ map data of the United States and Canada, including Alaska, Hawaii, Puerto Rico, and the Virgin Islands. The map database provides approximately 7 million points-of-interest (POIs) in various categories throughout the coverage area. The unit's map data is stored on a pre-installed 4GB SDHC memory card.
Note: While this receiver's map database was judged to be as accurate as possible at the time of its release, a map database can never be 100% accurate. Road information that is maintained in the map databases, such as turn restrictions or road names may change over time.
Future Updates: Future Map and Software updates (purchase fees will apply) will be available from Alpine and are input using the unit's hidden SD-card slot and additional SD-card (sold separately). The SD-card slot is located behind the electronic slide-down touchscreen. The SD-card slot is only used for navigation updates. Visit www.naviextras.com (requires Windows XP or newer) for latest map & navigation software updates.
GPS Receiver & Antenna: The Alpine X009-GM features a built-in GPS receiver and includes an external GPS antenna which determines vehicle speed and heading changes, along with longitude and latitude information, to accurately determine vehicle heading and position on the system's digital map. The GPS antenna can be mounted inside or outside of the vehicle. The GPS antenna measures 1.0625" (w) x 0.5" (h) x 1.1875" (d); with a 11.5' cable.
Note: The navigation receiver took approximately 25.7 seconds to calculate directions from Virginia to California. It took the same amount of time to calculate directions from Virginia to Maryland. These tests were done inside the Crutchfield Lab of the Crutchfield Head Quarters. Results will vary based on length of calculated route and your surrounding area.
On-Screen Map: As you travel, the X009-GM guides you to your destination via its on-screen map. The unit's on-screen map shows your vehicle's current position (a blue arrow by default), the recommended route (an orange line), the surrounding map area, and your destination as a checkered flag. The on-screen map shows streets in a way that is similar to how the paper road maps show them. Their width and colors correspond to their importance; you can easily tell a freeway from a small street. Road segments affected by traffic events are displayed with an alternate color on the map, and small symbols above the road show the nature of the event. When navigating a route, the top section of the map screen shows information about the next route event (maneuver) and the next street or the next city/town. Both the type of the event (turn, traffic circle, exiting freeway, etc.) and its distance from the current position are displayed. When approaching a turn, the map screen will zoom in and raise the view angle to let you easily recognize your maneuver at the next junction. If the next turn is at a distance, it will zoom out and lower the view angle to be flat so you can see the road in front of you. Two data fields on the left of the screen shows the distance you need to travel on the route before reaching your final destination and the time needed to reach your final destination of the route based on information available for the remaining segments of the route. You can adjust the following map settings.
- Map Views (2D/3D): The X009-GM provides three Map
Views, choose from North Up (North is always at the top of the display;
this makes it easy to determine your current heading with respect to the map), Heading
Up (current direction is always pointing to the top of the display; this
makes it easy to see the direction of the next turn on the map), or 3D View
(more realistic perspective by tilting the map and displaying it with a
horizon line; streets are displayed as you approach them instead of from a
birds-eye view). The X009-GM's navigation software supports
the following 3D object types.
- 3D Terrain: 3D terrain map data shows changes in terrain, elevations or depressions in the land when you view the map in 2D, and use it to plot the route map in 3D when you navigate. Hills and mountains are shown in the background of the 3D map.
- Elevated Roads: Complex intersections and vertically isolated roads (such as overpasses or bridges) are displayed in 3D.
- 3D Landmarks: Landmarks are 3D artistic or block representations of prominent or well-known objects.
- 3D Buildings: 3D block representation of full city building data containing actual building size and position on the map.
- Map Color: The navigation map screen uses different color themes (Day/Night) during the day and during the night for both the map and the menu screen. Daytime colors are similar to paper road maps, and the menus are bright. The night color themes use dark colors for large objects to keep the average brightness of the screen low. You can also set the navigation unit to switch between daytime and night color modes automatically based on the current time and GPS position.
Note: Alpine's Dual Screen function lets you view Navigation and Audio/Visual screens simultaneously, side-by-side.
Highway Driver Assistance: The X009-GM's navigation map offers helpful lane information & signpost guidance, along with junction & tunnel views, plus exit services for highway drivers.
- Lane Information: When navigation on multilane roads, it is important to take the appropriate lane in order to follow the recommended route. If lane information is available in the map data, the map screen will display the lanes and their directions using small arrows at the bottom of the map. High lighted arrows represent the lanes you need to take.
- Signposts: Where additional information is available, signposts substitute arrows. Signposts are displayed at the top of the map. The color and style of the signposts are similar to the real ones you can see above the road or by the roadside, They show the available destinations and the number of the road the lane leads to.
- Junction & Tunnel View: If you are approaching a freeway exit or a complex intersection and the needed information exists, the map is replaced with a 3D view of the junction. The lanes you need to take are displayed with arrows. Signposts can also be present, if information is available. When entering a tunnel, the map is replaced with a generic tunnel image so that surface roads and buildings cannot distract you.
- Exit Services: The Exit Services function lets you search roadway exits for food, lodging, and rest areas so you are never left guessing what is around the bend. You must be on a major highway or road to use this feature.
Voice Guidance w/ Text-to-Speech: In addition to graphical on-screen directions and maps, the X009-GM provides voice guidance and turn-by-turn directions, capable of text-to-speech (TTS), announcing the street names along with the turn directions. With turn-by-turn instructions delivered by Text-to-Speech (TTS) technology, street names, freeway numbers and freeway exit names are announced clearly through your vehicle's audio system. Directions are available in English, Spanish, or French.
Note: The X009-GM will mute the audio source, when there is a text-to-speech voice prompt. Once the voice prompt has ended, your audio source's volume will automatically raise to previous setting.
Traffic Message Channel (TMC): The Alpine X009-GM contains a TMC (Traffic Message Channel) receiver that can provide you with the real-time status of the traffic along your route over the FM Radio Data System (RDS). If traffic is congested up ahead or there is a road closure, the navigation system will automatically re-navigate the route to show you how to get to your destination, quickly and easily. To fine-tune this recalculation, you can set the minimum delay that can trigger a route recalculation, or you can instruct the software to have you confirm the new recommended route before it takes effect. Road segments affected by traffic events are displayed with an alternate color on the map, and small symbols above the road show the nature of the event.
Note: TMC is not available in all cities.
Where AM I?: The "Where Am I?" screen contains information about the current position (or approximately the last known position if GPS reception is not available) and a button to search for POIs and emergency services nearby.
Selecting A Destination: The built-in navigation software offers you several ways of choosing your destination.
|Browse Map||Select a location on the map by simply tapping the map.|
|Address||You can find an address by entering the exact address (including house number), the center of a city/town, an intersection, the midpoint of a street, or zip code.|
|Address Book||Save frequented locations in the unit's address book to quickly add as a destination (like your home or office).|
|Places (POI)||Select from approximately 7 million Point-of-Interests (POIs); search POIs by name, preset, or category around your current location, destination, route, or specific city.|
|History||Destinations you have set previously appear in the History search.|
|Free-Form Search|| |
A quick way to search for an address, a Place, an Address Book entry, or a History item is to use the free-form search. Simply enter a street address (just the street name or both the street and the house number), the name of a Place, a previous destination or an Address Book entry from this one search screen.
|Coordinates||Enter Latitude and Longitude coordinates as your destination.|
|Geotaggs||You can also set the location stored in a picture (on a USB thumbdrive) as your destination.|
Note: Any destination selection method can be entered with or without the parking brake engaged.
Vehicle Profile: You can create a vehicle profile for your car, truck, or SUV. Enter the following parameters for your vehicle - Fuel Consumption (avg. fuel consumption of your vehicle in city and rural areas), Engine Type (engine and fuel type), Fuel Price (avg. fuel price for travel cost calculation), Max Speed (max speed you travel).
Route Calculation: The unit's navigation software calculates your route based on the following selections.
- Vehicle Types: You can select what type of vehicle you are driving, so the navigation unit can determine the best route based on your vehicle type (Car, Truck, Emergency, Bus, or Taxi).
- Route Methods: You can choose which route method
(Fastest, Shortest, Green, or Easy) the navigation unit should use when
calculating your route.
- Fast: Gives a quick route if you can travel at or near the speed limit on all roads. Usually the best selection for fast and normal cars.
- Short: Gives a route that has the smallest total distance of all possible routes. It can be practical for slow vehicles.
- Green: Gives a quick and fuel efficient route based on the fuel consumption data given in Route settings. Travel cost and CO2 emission calculations are estimations only. They cannot take elevations, curves and traffic conditions into account.
- Easy: Results in a route with fewer turns and no difficult maneuvers. With this option, you can make your software to take, for example, the freeway instead of a series of smaller roads or streets.
- Avoidances: You can tell the navigation unit to avoid certain types of roads along your calculated route, such as Highways, Tolls, Carpool/HOV, Unpaved Roads, and/or Ferries.
Modifying Your Route: When navigation is already started, there are several ways to modify the active route. Options include:
- Add Waypoint: If you already have a recommended route and you select a new destination, the unit will ask you whether to start a new route, add a new waypoint (intermediate destination) to the route or append the newly selected destination at the end of the current route.
- New Starting Position: For normal navigation, all routes are planned from the current position. In order to check future routes, simulate them or see their length in time and distance, you can turn off the GPS receiver. Then you can set the starting point of the route to a different location than the current GPS position.
- Edit Destination: You can edit the route by modifying the list of destinations. You can add or remove destinations, modify the start position or reorder the list.
- Cancel Route: You can cancel the active route and delete its destination and all its waypoints.
- Route Alternatives: To recalculate the active route with a different route planning method, you can modify the unit's Route settings.
Route Preview: The X009-GM lets you preview your route's instructions and simulate the drive. The Itinerary page displays turn-by-turn instructions for your entire route and the distance between turns. You can also preview all the route information and simulate travel along a projected route.
Warnings & Alerts: The X009-GM's navigation software provides the following warnings & alerts.
- Alert Points: You can save any map location as an alert point (for example a speed camera or a railroad crossing).
- Speed Limit Warnings: Maps may contain information about the speed limits of the road segments. The navigation head unit is able to warn you if you exceed the current limit. This information may not be available in all areas, or may not be fully correct for all roads in the map. Speed warning can be fine-tuned in Sound and Warning settings.
Trip Monitor: The navigation system's trip monitor contains useful information about your trip. Trip monitor data can be saved manually when you reach your destination or automatically along your route. Trip monitor data includes; Start/End Time, Avg./Max. Speed, Total/Driving/Stopped Time, Total Distance, and Min./Max. Altitude.
Automatic Route Recalculation + Detour: The unit will automatically recalculates your route if you stray from the navigation unit's previously calculated route. When you slow down while driving on a motorway, there is a chance that you are in a traffic jam so the software offers you a detour using the next exit. The message shows you distance of the exit and the difference in distance and estimated time compared to the original route.
Tools: The built-in navigation system contains a number of useful tools that help out along your travels.
- Unit Converter: The unit converter helps you convert between various different international units for temperature, speed, area or pressure, etc.
- Clothing: The clothing size converter helps you convert between various different international size units for men's or women's cloth types and shoes.
- Calculator: The scientific calculator helps you in all your calculation needs. Tap the Mode button for additional functions and use the memory to save your results
- Fuel Consumption: The Fuel consumption monitor helps you keep track of the consumption of your car even if you do not use navigation for all your journeys. Set the initial odometer value and then record the distance taken and fuel filled in whenever you fill your car. You can also set reminders for regular car maintenance
- Country Information: Select a country from the list and see useful driving information about the selected country. Information may include speed limits on different road types, the maximum blood alcohol level and any compulsory equipment you need to show when stopped by the police.
Off-Road Navigation: The difference between the on-road and off-road modes is the navigation itself. When you are on the Map screen with an off-road route, your position and heading is not aligned with the nearest road and there is no turn by turn navigation; just a recommended direction. You see a straight line drawn between your current position and the next destination to reach. The Turn Preview field in the top left corner shows an arrow with your bearing and the distance of the next destination.
Bluetooth Technology: The Alpine X009-GM features built-in Bluetooth technology (v2.1+EDR). The head unit's built-in Bluetooth allows you to make and receive phone calls wirelessly through the receiver; as well as stream music wirelessly from your smartphone to the head unit. In order to use Bluetooth wireless technology, your phone must also be Bluetooth compatible and be able to interpret certain profiles. This unit is compatible with the following Bluetooth Profiles:
- Hands-Free Communication: HFP 1.5 (Hands Free Profile), OPP 1.1 (Object Push Profile), PBAB 1.0 (Phone Book Access Profile).
- Audio Streaming: A2DP 1.2 (Advanced Audio Distribution Profile), AVRCP 1.4 (Audio/Video Remote Control Profile).
Note: Due to the differences in Bluetooth technology, some Bluetooth enabled devices may be incompatible, function improperly, or may not support all features when used with the Alpine X009-GM.
Secure Simple Pairing: With Secure Simple Pairing (SSP), you can easily pair a Bluetooth enabled phone to the X009-GM without having to enter pin codes or go through complicated settings (your phone must also support SSP). You can register up to 10 Bluetooth enabled devices with the Alpine head unit. You can keep 2 phones connected at all times (only one can be used during a call). When your paired Bluetooth device is in close proximity to the receiver, the auto connection function automatically pairs the two units.
Hands-Free Communication w/ OEM Mic: The Alpine X009-GM supports wireless hands-free communication (HFP/HSP/OPP/PBAB) for your Bluetooth enabled mobile phone. Incoming calls are announced by a caller ring tone through your vehicle's speakers (music will be muted) & a Caller ID message across your Alpine head unit's touchscreen display. The X009-GM allows you to carry on a phone conversation from your Bluetooth enabled mobile phone using your vehicle's factory-installed microphone and your car audio speakers. During a conversation, you can initiate a transfer of audio between your mobile phone and your car's speakers.
- Receiving Calls: The Alpine X009-GM provides several
ways to answer your phone calls without picking up your mobile phone.
- Manual Answer: Manually answer an incoming call by pressing the "Phone" button on your Alpine head unit.
- Automatic Answer: Set the Alpine head unit to answer the incoming call automatically; when a call is received, it is answered automatically after approximately 5 seconds.
- Call Waiting: If a second call is received during a current call, you can have the first caller wait momentarily while you take the second call. When you are finished with one call, you can switch to the other.
- Making Calls: The Alpine X009-GM provides a variety
of functions for placing a phone call without using your mobile phone. The
Alpine X009-GM features full phone book access, call history, voice
dialing, and redial with compatible phones.
- Voice Dialing: If you have a voice-dial capable phone, you can dial a phone contact by simply speaking the name of your contact or the telephone number.
- Phone Number Entry: Allows you to directly dial a phone number up to 31 digits from the head unit's touchscreen.
- Phonebook (with ABC search): Up to 1,000 entries (5 telephone numbers for each name) can be downloaded from your compatible mobile phone. You can select the first 3 call letters (ABC) to search for a desired name in your phonebook.
- Shortcut Dialing: You can assign up to 4 phone numbers for one-touch dialing to make a call easily.
- Call History: The previously dialed, received, or missed numbers (20 each) can be retrieved and dialed from memory.
- Redial: Quickly redial the last number dialed.
Note: All Bluetooth phone functions are available with or without the parking brake engaged.
Audio Streaming (w/ Advanced Music Navigation): The Alpine X009-GM can stream music from your Bluetooth A2DP/AVRCP mobile device (such as your iPhone or Android smartphone). Not only can it control & stream your music through Bluetooth, it can process your music using its built-in DSP to ensure you get the best sound. In addition to basic playback functions (Play/Pause, FF/RW, Skip, Random/Repeat), the X009-GM provides a Search List of your stored music by Playlist, Artist, Album, Song, etc.. AVRCP 1.4 phones only; which includes Android 4.0+ and iPhone 5.0+). The head unit will also display your stored music's song information; such as Artist name & Song/Album title. The X009-GM even supports audio streaming of music apps on your Bluetooth-enabled smartphone with song/artist information and limited control (continue to use your Bluetooth enabled smartphone to control advanced music app navigation).
Note: When an incoming call or outgoing call is in progress from your Bluetooth enabled mobile phone, audio streaming will be paused so you can take your call. Once the call is finished, your streaming music will resume.
Siri Eyes Free Control: When paired and connected to an iPhone with Siri via Bluetooth (not USB), the Alpine X009-GM has the ability to access Siri through its front-panel/touchscreen controls and external microphone. Simply press the head unit's "VOICE CTRL" button to engage Siri and use the included microphone to communicate with Siri. Siri's voice will be heard through your vehicle's speakers. All Siri functions including hands-free calling, music search, setting reminders, text-messaging, audible navigation, and more can be done through the X009-GM and its microphone. The head unit's display will only indicate hands-free calling and Bluetooth audio information (all other functions of Siri are only audible through the Alpine X009-GM; visual data will still need to be viewed from your iPhone device).
Note: You can ask Siri to get directions to a destination and the turn-by-turn instructions will heard through your vehicle's speakers, while the on-screen map still displays on your iPhone with Siri. The head unit's audio is attenuated while Siri provides audible directions.
Bluetooth Adjustments: You can emphasize or weaken the volume level of the phone caller, the ring tone, and the microphone input to fit your own preference. You can also select which car speaker outputs the audio from your Bluetooth-enabled mobile phone/device. You can select All, Front-Left, Front-Right, or Front-Left/Right.
Compatible Discs: The Alpine X009-GM will play back DVD Video, DVD-R/RW, DVD+R/RW, CD, and CD-R/RW discs (12cm only). It will also support two-layer DVD discs. This unit can play MP3/WMA/AAC music files and DivX video files recorded onto CD-R/RW, DVD-R/RW, or DVD+R/RW discs. The unit has a front-loading disc-slot to make loading your disc easier because there is no panel to slide or fold-down.
Rear-Panel USB Port: The head unit's rear-panel USB (type-A) port allows you to connect a USB Mass Storage Class (MSC) device, such as select portable digital audio players or USB thumbdrives. A 5' USB extension cable is included. The USB port enables audio/video playback & control of MP3/WMA/AAC music files and DivX video files stored on your portable USB MSC device through the Alpine X009-GM. USB portable audio players that can be charged via USB will be charged when plugged into the navigation receiver's USB port (max. 1A), and the vehicle's ignition switch is set to ACC or On.
Note: The unit's USB port is not compatible with Android devices.
Media File Playback: The Alpine X009-GM supports the following types of MP3/WMA/AAC music files and DivX video files recorded onto disc or loaded onto a USB device.
|Media Type||Disc (CD-R/RW, DVD-R/RW, DVD+R/RW)||USB (mass storage class device)|
|File System||ISO 9660 Level 1/2 or Joliet||FAT 12/16/32|
|Playable File Types||Audio||MP3: bit rate of
8-320kbps; sampling rate of 8-48kHz |
WMA: bit rate of 48-320kbps; sampling rate of 8-48kHz
AAC: bit rate of 16-320kbps; sampling rate of 8-48kHz
|Video||DivX (versions 3/4/5/6): optimum resolution of 96-720 (h) x 96-576 (v)|
|Max # of Files/Folders||1,000 files/folders||10,000 files/folders|
|Tags||ID3 tags, WMA tags, AAC tags, & Album Art|
Playback Modes: The Alpine X009-GM offers various playback modes for disc and USB playback.
- Pre-stop Function: When the Pre-stop function is used, the position at which playback is stopped is stored in the memory, and playback resumes from that position.
- Repeat: Select between three modes; File (repeats playback of current track/file/chapter), Group (repeats only files in current folder), All (repeats all tracks/files).
- Random (MIX): Select between two modes: All (all tracks/files on disc are played in random order), Group (only files in current folder are played back in random order).
- Slow Motion Playback: When a DVD is in the pause mode, you may move forward through the program being played one step (frame) at a time or in slow motion (1/16 or 1/2 speed), forward or backward. No audio is played during slow motion playback.
Search Modes: The Alpine X009-GM offers various search modes for disc and USB playback.
- File/Folder Name Search: When you are playing a disc with ID3, AAC, or WMA tags, you can easily search for a track, file, or folder by its title. Once you have activated the search mode, you can use the touchscreen to quickly scan through the titles to locate the desired track. For discs without ID3, AAC, or WMA tags, searches are made using the track numbers associated with each song.
- Direct Search: Use this function to move directly to the beginning of the a chapter or track on a disc.
- Skip (Next/Previous): During playback you can skip to the next or previous track, title, or chapter.
- Fast-Forward/Fast-Reverse: You can view a DVD in various speeds in either direction by touching and holding the fast-forward or fast-reverse button on the touch screen. You can select from 2x, 4x, or 8x, speeds.
Auto Reload: When a disc is ejected and left sticking out of the disc slot for 20 seconds, the unit automatically reloads the disc to protect if from damage.
Parental Lock: Parental Lock allows you to restrict the playback of DVDs that are unsuitable for younger viewers. You can select a parental lock rating from 1-8, which is protected by a 4-digit password.
Angle Mounting: For proper disc playback, Alpine recommends mounting the X009-GM no more that 30° above horizontal.
Smartphone Mirror via HDMI: The Alpine receiver's rear-panel HDMI input can be used to connect select Android or Apple iOS devices with video output to the navigation receiver. With the vehicle's parking brake engaged you can mirror the smartphone device's image and watch stored video and video apps (like Netflix) on the navigation head unit's touchscreen monitor. Stored music, music apps, and other audio content on your iPod/iPhone device can be heard through your speaker system without the parking brake engaged; however, there is no song/artist information display unless the parking brake is engaged. There is no touchscreen control from the Alpine head unit; you will still continue to use your Apple iOS or Android device to select content, apps, and control playback.
- iPhone Connectivity: If you have an iPhone 5 or newer with the Lightning connector, you will need Apple's Lightning Digital AV adapter and Lightning-to-USB cable, plus Alpine's KCU-610HD HDMI cable kit, or a mobile-grade HDMI cable (all sold separately). The HDMI connector provides the audio/video playback, while the USB connection charges your iPhone device.
- Android Connectivity: Use Alpine's KCU-610MH HDMI cable kit (500KCU610M, sold separately) to connect your MHL-compatible Android smartphone. The Samsung Galaxy S3/S4/S5 and Note II/III/IV requires an additional 3rd party MHL microUSB 5-pin to 11-pin adapter (sold separately). The HDMI connector provides audio/video playback, while the USB connection charges the battery of your Android smartphone. Check here for a list of compatible MHL-enabled Android phones.
Note: The HDMI input is recessed within the head unit's rear-chassis and requires an HDMI cable with a connector collar that is less than 0.75" wide.
iPod/iPhone 1-Wire USB Connection: The Alpine receiver supports direct connection of your Lightning or 30-pin iPod/iPhone through its rear-panel USB port. The X009U supports audio/video playback, music navigation, information display, and charging of select Apple devices. The Alpine X009U's USB connection allows your iPod/iPhone's music library to be loaded instantly to the Alpine head unit and sound quality to be maximized through the head unit's 24-bit D/A converter (bypassing iPod/iPhone DAC), allowing for a Signal to Noise ratio up to 100dB.
- Head Unit Control: You can control your connected iPod/iPhone from the head unit's touchscreen. The Alpine X009U lets you navigate your iPod/iPhone's music library by Playlist, Artist, Album, Song, Genre, Composer, Podcast, or Audiobook; and your video library by Video Playlist, Movie, Music Video, TV Show, Video Podcast, or Rented Movie. You can then search each category alphabetically (A-Z). The head unit also offers three Shuffle playback functions (All/Album/Category) and Repeat playback function (song). In addition, you can control basic playback functions (such as Play/Pause, FF/RW, Previous/Next Track) of select movie and video apps; not all apps will be compatible. Newer iPod/iPhones with iOS 6.0+ will still allow you to navigate stored music and movies from the Apple device's touchscreen, as well access music and video apps; older iPod/iPhone devices will be locked during connection.
- Music Information: The Alpine in-dash navigation receiver will display your iPod/iPhone's stored music file information; such as Track number, Elapsed playing time, Artist name, Song/Album title, as well as Album Art. The unit will also display song/artist information and station identification from select music apps.
- 1A Charging: The head unit's USB connection provides 1A of current to power and charge your connected iPod/iPhone when your vehicle's ignition switch is set to the 'ACC' or 'On' position (if your iPod/iPhone has no initial battery charge, then the unit will not recognize it).
- Lightning Connector: If you have a newer iPod/iPhone with the Lightning-connector, you can use Alpine's KCU-471i cable (500KCU471I, sold separately) or the Lightning-to-USB cable that came with your Apple device to connect your iPod/iPhone to the Alpine X009U for audio playback only.
- 30-Pin Dock Connector: If you have an older iPod/iPhone with the 30-pin connector, you can use Alpine's dock connector-to-USB cable (500KCU445I, sold separately) or the dock connector-to-USB cable that comes with your Apple device to connect your iPod/iPhone to the X009-GM.
Apple Device Compatibility Chart: The Alpine X009U is "Made for iPod/iPhone" compatible and supports the following iPod/iPhone model features (as of 3/14/2017):
|Apple Device||Generation||Tested Version||Media Type||Control Type||Display Type||Bluetooth||Charge|
|Audio||Video||Head Unit||iPod/iPhone||Pandora||Album Art||Song/Artist Text||Track Info||Phone||Audio||Siri|
Note: Apple iPod/iPhone software updates may change functionality results. If you download a newer software version, you may need to reset the head unit and your iPod/iPhone to regain functionality. If this doesn't work, you may need to wait until a newer software update is available.
HD Radio: With the built-in HD Radio tuner, you can receive digital AM/FM broadcasts from local stations where available. HD Radio lets you listen to the radio with the same fidelity as your digital music. HD Radio features high quality audio, FM multi-casting, and data services. With HD Radio, your FM stations offer near CD-quality sound, AM stations provide FM-like sound, and there is crystal-clear reception with no audio distortion. Best of all, HD Radio is 100% subscription free. The unit's tuner also supports analog AM/FM broadcasts.
- Multicasting: Multicasting is the ability to broadcast multiple program streams over a single AM/FM frequency. this increases the amount and diversity of content choices. A maximum of eight multicast station channels (HD1-HD8) can be selected on this unit.
- Station Text w/ Album Art: AM/FM digital stations can offer text and data such as artist names and song titles, plus Album Art. The built-in HD Radio tuner displays song title, artist and station information on the touchscreen monitor of the Alpine X009-GM. The RDS (Radio Data System) is a radio information system for analog FM. The RDS allows you to receive a variety of information such as traffic information, station names, and song information from standard analog FM radio stations.
- Preset Tuning: The built-in tuner provides 12 FM and 6 AM preset stations. The unit's tuner can automatically seek and store six strong stations in a selected band in order of signal strength. Sub-program services of multicast stations are not included in the automatic memory search.
- Local/Distance Tuning: Local seek tuning lets you tune in only those radio stations with sufficiently strong signals for good reception. Distance seek tuning allows both strong and weak stations to be tuned.
- iTunes Tagging: It is possible to save the song's information (tag) from and HD Radio broadcasting station to your USB-direct connected iPod/iPhone. The songs will show up in a playlist called "Tagged" in iTunes the next time you sync your iPod/iPhone. Then you can directly buy the songs you want from the iTunes Music Store. You can "tag" up to 50 songs. Your iPod/iPhone must have at least 50MB of free space to "tag" and transfer songs. iTunes 7.4 or later is required to purchase "tagged" songs.
Note: HD Radio is the system for digital AM and FM broadcasting in the U.S. More than 2,000 radio stations are broadcasting their primary signals in digital HD Radio technology, as a free service. Go to HDRadio.com to check for HD Radio stations in your area.
Pandora Internet Radio App (for iPhone & Android): The free Pandora App (for Apple iOS 9.0+ and Android OS 4.0+) lets you play music from the Pandora music service through the Alpine X009-GM using your USB-connected Apple iPhone or Bluetooth paired Android smartphone. Your Apple iPhone must be connected to the X009-GM via the appropriate Alpine iPod connector cable (500KCU471I or 500KCU445I; both sold separately) or the Dock-/Lightning-cable that came with your iPhone. Your Android smartphone must support A2DP/AVRCP/SPP Bluetooth profiles and be paired with the Alpine receiver. Your iPhone or Android smartphone will also need an active Data Plan account with connection to the Internet via 4G (LTE), 3G, EDGE, or WiFi. The X009-GM provides control over the Pandora music service and displays Artist, Album, and Song information.
- Station List: You can select Pandora stations from your Station List by date or alphabetically (A-Z).
- New Station: Based on a currently playing track or artist, you can create a new station and save it to your Pandora account.
- QuickMix: QuickMix allows you to listen to songs played on one or more Pandora stations in your Station List randomly. You will need to edit your QuickMix station selections on the phone before connection.
- Skip Songs: You can skip song tracks within a station. You cannot skip back to a previous song. Pandora limits the number of skips allowed.
- Thumbs Up/Down: You can give songs a thumbs up or thumbs down to help Pandora personalize stations to suit your preferences.
- Bookmarking: The song or artist currently being played can be bookmarked & stored in your Pandora account.
Note: Access to these online service will depend on the availability of a cellular and/or WiFi network for purposes of allowing your iPhone or smartphone to connect to the Internet. Pandora is not supported in Canada and only available in the United States.
SiriusXM Ready: The Alpine X009-GM is SiriusXM-Ready and compatible with the SiriusXM Connect Vehicle Tuner (220SXV300, sold separately). The SiriusXM Connect Vehicle Tuner supports SiriusXM programming with access to 175+ SiriusXM channels via subscription; check out the most popular SiriusXM subscription packages here. Additional features of the SiriusXM Connect tuner include:
- Song/Artist Info: Displayed information such as Channel Name, Channel Logo, Artist Name, & Song Title can be viewed on the head unit's LCD
- Category & Direct Search: You can search for SiriusXM programming content by Channel (all channels), Music (your saved artists/songs), Games (your saved sport teams), and Featured (recommended stations). You can also directly select a channel number from the head unit's touchscreen numeric keypad.
- 18 Presets + Jump: The Alpine head unit feature 3 Satellite Radio preset bands. You can store 6 SiriusXM stations to each preset band (a total of 18). The Jump feature lets you store your absolute favorite channel so you can jump to it with the press of a dedicated button and then jump back to the previous channel.
- Instant Replay: The X009-GM supports the SiriusXM Instant Replay function, so you can pause, rewind, and replay up to 30 minutes of live content from the current channel. Listen to your favorite programming over again.
- Tune Start/Tune Scan: Use Tune Start to play music content from its beginning on programmed preset stations. Now you'll be able to enjoy the full song rather than hearing what's left from its current live playback position. Tune Scan lets you scan through all the songs you missed from your current band of preset channels.
- Song/Artist/Game Alerts: With Song/Artist Alert you can get notified when your favorite songs or artists are being broadcast on any SiriusXM station. With the push of a button, you can jump right to that broadcast and catch the songs you want to listen to. GameAlert will display an on-screen message if your favorite teams' games are being broadcast. Jump to that station with the push of a button so you can listen to the game play by play. You can also get the latest score updates while you are listening to other stations.
- Parental Lock: This function restricts the listening of channels for children of certain age levels and is protected by a 4-digit "lock-code".
Note: A separate SiriusXM Satellite Radio subscription is required (operates on the XM Network). However, you can easily add this SiriusXM tuner to an existing Sirius or XM account for a Multi-Radio Discount Plan.
24-Bit DAC: The Alpine X009-GM utilizes a Burr-Brown 24-bit Digital to Analog Converter to ensure accurate audio reproduction.
CEA-2006 Compliant: The specifications given by Alpine for the built-in amplifier comply with the CEA-2006 mobile amplifier power testing and measurement standards from the CEA (Consumer Electronics Association). All manufacturers who comply with the standard can display the CEA-2006 logo on their product.
- CEA-2006 Power Rating: 18 watts x 4 channels (at 4 ohms, 20-20kHz, 1% THD)
- Max Power Output: 50 watts x 4 channels
Note: Add the KTP-445A (500KTP445A, sold separately) Head Unit Power Pack to deliver 45 watts x 4-channel RMS of power. The KTP-445A is compact enough to install behind the Alpine receiver. It plugs in-line with the head unit's wiring harness, so you don't even need additional wires.
6ch/4V Preouts with Subwoofer Output Control: The X009-GM has three sets of 4-Volt RCA pre-outs (Front/Rear/Sub) for connection of external amplifiers. The unit's front and rear preamp output can be faded (front/rear), while the subwoofer preamp output is non-fading. The subwoofer output level can be adjusted independently from the main volume setting (0-15); so even at low volume settings the subwoofer is still audible. The subwoofer output phase can be set to Normal (0°) or Reverse (180°).
High-Pass & Low-Pass Crossovers: This unit is equipped with active high-pass and low-pass crossovers which limit the frequencies delivered to the speaker and line-level outputs. Each speaker channel is controlled independently, so each speaker pair can be driven by the frequencies for which have they been optimally designed. The crossover adjusts the HFP (high pass filter) or LPF (low pass filter) frequency point of each speaker pair, and also the slope (how fast the filter rolls off the highs or lows).
- High Pass Filter: The Alpine head unit is equipped with a high-pass filter for its speaker-level output and front/rear-channel preamp outputs. You can set the unit's high-pass filter center frequency point to 20Hz, 25Hz, 31.5Hz, 40Hz, 50Hz, 63Hz, 80Hz, 100Hz, 125Hz, 160Hz, 200Hz, or Off (through). The slope of the high pass filter can be set to 6, 12, 18, or 24 dB/oct.
- Low Pass Filter: The unit's subwoofer output low-pass filter can be set to 20Hz, 25Hz, 31.5Hz, 40Hz, 50Hz, 63Hz, 80Hz, 100Hz, 125Hz, 160Hz, 200Hz, or Off (through). The slope of the low pass filter can be set to 6, 12, 18, or 24 dB/oct.
i-Personalize Setup: Tailor your vehicle's sound setting parameters through the X009-GM's built-in i-Personalize feature. Choose your vehicle type, upholstery type, number of speakers, and speaker locations; and the X009-GM will calculate and apply the optimal sound settings for your vehicle.
- Vehicle Type: Sedan, Couple, Hatchback, Mini Van, Small SUV, Large SUV, 2DR Truck, 4DR Truck.
- Listening Position: Driver seat or All seats
- Front Speaker Size: Small (3-4"), Medium (5-6.5"), Large (6x9")
- Tweeter: Yes or No
- Rear Speaker Position: Rear Deck or Rear Door panel
- Subwoofer: Yes or No
- Car Seat Material: Leather, Fabric, Half Leather (seats are both made of leather and fabric).
Note: An online version of i-Personalize is available for even more detailed time-correction and sound tuning. Once your adjustments are made online, you can download the parameters to a USB drive and transfer the settings to the X009-GM.
Built-in Equalizer: The X009-GM navigation receiver is equipped with a Preset EQ, a 9-Band Parametric EQ, and Alpine's very owner Bass Engine SQ.
- Equalizer Presets: 10 typical equalizer settings are preset at the factory for a variety of music source material. Choose from Flat, Pop, Rock, News, Jazz, Electronic, Hip Hop, Easy Listening, Country, and Classical.
- 9-Band Parametric EQ: You can create three Custom EQ presets by adjusting the head unit's 9-Band Parametric Equalizer to create a response curve more appealing to your personal taste. Band 1 (20Hz-100Hz), Band 2 (63Hz-325Hz), Band 3 (125Hz-500Hz), Band 4 (250Hz-1kHz), Band 5 (500Hz-2kHz), Band 6 (1kHz-4kHz), Band 7 (2kHz-7.2kHz), Band 8 (5.8 kHz-12kHz), Band 9 (9kHz-20kHz). Bandwidth Q (1, 2, or 3). Levels (-7 to + 7).
- Bass Engine SQ: Alpine's Bass Engine SQ optimizes the sound for all speakers in the vehicle according to the music genre and mood for well-balanced and effective bass sound. Select from six Bass Engine SQ Types - Standard (Natural low-pitched sound), Punch (boosted bass sound), Rich (rich low-pitch sound), Mid Bass (emphasizes presence of upper bass), Low Bass (emphasizes presences lower bass), and Off (bypasses Bass Engine SQ).
Audio Enhancements: The X009-GM provides Time Correction, Media Xpander Pro, and Source Volume Level to enhance your listening experience in the vehicle.
- Time Correction: This unit is able to delay the audio signal to the speakers closest to the listener with its built-in Time Correction feature. This effectively creates a perception of increased distance for those speakers. Time Correction allows the listener to be placed at an equal distance between the left and right speakers for optimum staging. You can adjust the distance (0-336.6cm) or time delay (0.0-9.9msec) of each speaker and subwoofer to the listener. You are able to save three time correction presets.
- Media Xpander Pro: Alpine's exclusive Media Xpander Pro is engineered to bring out the musical details lost in compressed media, and it is adjustable per source to get the most out of your digital audio media. The Media Expander Pro makes vocals or instruments sound distinct regardless of the music source. The FM radio, CD, USB memory, iPhone/iPod, Pandora, and Bluetooth Audio will be able to reproduce the music more clearly even in vehicles with a lot of road noise.
- Source Volume Level: The output level (+/-14dB) of each source can be individually adjusted. For example, if the Tuner level sounds lower than CD, its output can be adjusted without affecting the other sources.
Alpine's TuneIt App: The Alpine TuneIt app (for Apple iOS 7.1+ and Android OS 4.0+) is an easy-to-use sound-tuning app that also offers Facebook notifications. Simply download this free app onto your compatible Apple iPhone or Android smartphone to create a user profile about your vehicle and sound system. Your iPhone must be connected to the Alpine receiver via the appropriate Alpine iPod connector cable (500KCU445I or 500KCU471I; both sold separately) or the Dock-/Lightning-cable that came with your iPhone. Your Android smartphone must support A2DP/AVRCP/SPP Bluetooth profiles and be paired with the Alpine receiver. Your iPhone or Android smartphone will also need an active Data Plan account with connection to the Internet via 4G (LTE), 3G, EDGE, or WiFi.
- Sound Tuning: The Alpine TuneIt app turns your iPhone or Android smartphone into a sound tuning interface for the Alpine receiver. Follow the simple graphical instructions on your phone to adjust sound settings for your specific vehicle or choose from pre-made settings in the database. Settings that can be adjusted include Parametric EQ, Bass Engine SQ, Crossover, and Media Xpander. As you change settings on your smartphone, you will hear the results, so you can customize the sound to exactly how you want it. You can make and save up to 100 different sound settings in your account, which is helpful if you want various settings to use for specific types of music. After tuning your system, upload your settings to the Alpine Cloud Server to share them with other Alpine fans. You can also check out other user's settings and rate them. The more active you are, the higher your profile status progresses within the app.
- Facebook Notifications: The Alpine TuneIt app also keeps you in touch with your Facebook friends. When you receive a notification, you will get a visual alert on the smartphone and the head unit, plus a sound alert through your car speakers. The visual notification includes the Facebook icon and the sender's name, with the profile picture shown on the phone. You are then able to listen to the notification via TTS (Text-to-Speech) through the head unit and your vehicle's speaker. You can even "Like" the notification from the head unit's front-panel controls. In order to receive Facebook notifications on the head unit, the Alpine TuneIt app must be the active app on your smartphone.
Note: Access to the Alpine TuneIt app will depend on the availability of a cellular and/or WiFi network for purposes of allowing your iPhone or smartphone to connect to the Internet. You will also need to turn on the GPS function of your phone.
Beep Guide: This function will give audible feedback with varying tones depending upon the button pressed. The volume of this feature can be set from 0-7.
Audio/Video Input: The X009-GM is fitted with one rear-panel audio/video input which consists of a composite video jack and stereo RCA jacks to connect an external AV source.
HDMI Input: In addition iPhone and Android connectivity, the head unit's HDMI input can be used to connect almost any external mobile AV source with an HDMI output; such as a TV tuner, Blu-ray player, or game system. The HDMI input will provide video and audio playback. Your vehicle's parking brake will need to be engaged to view video on the receiver's screen. Playback functions will need to be controlled from your HDMI-connected device.
AV Output w/ Dual Zone: The unit features a composite video jack and stereo RCA audio jacks to output A/V signals to an optional monitor and headphone system (sold separately) in the rear of the vehicle. You are able to route the same A/V signal or different A/V signals to the front and the rear zones of the vehicle. For example, while listening to the radio or other audio source in the front, DVD can be enjoyed in the rear with an optional rear monitor and headphones. You can select the aspect ratio of any back seat monitor(s); choose from 4:3 Letter Box, 4:3 Pan and Scan, 16:9 Widescreen. An HDMI input source cannot be played in the rear of the vehicle.
Rear Camera Input w/ Parking Guidelines: The Alpine navigation receiver offers a proprietary camera input and a composite video camera input for adding a rear-view camera (sold separately), so you can see what's behind you on the in-dash receiver's monitor. The rear-view camera function also provides three on-screen guidelines to assist you when backing up your vehicle. If a rear-view camera is connected, you should also connect the unit's reverse lead wire (Orange/white) to your vehicle's back-up lamp circuit to activate auto camera switching. When properly connected, the image from the rear-view camera automatically appears on the monitor when the vehicle is shifted into reverse. Automatic video switching takes approximately 0.75 seconds.
- Proprietary Camera Input: The proprietary rearview camera input can be used with Alpine's HCE-TG1303GM tailgate camera (sold separately), specifically designed for 2007-2013 Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra trucks. The proprietary camera input can also be used with Alpine's HCE-C125 camera (500HCEC125, sold separately).
- Composite Video Camera Input: There is also composite video input, so you can connect almost any brand of rearview camera (such as the 500HCEC114, sold separately).
- Dual Cameras: You can even use both camera inputs to connect front- and rear-view cameras (front-view cameras include the 500HCEC212F, sold separately).
- Multi-View Camera: With a multi-view camera (sold separately) connected, you can select between a Rear, Panorama, Corner, or Ground view when backing up.
Note: The rear view camera feature is meant as a back-up aid only; never solely rely on the rear-view camera when backing-up. In addition to using the rear-view camera, always look behind you to make sure everything is clear when backing up your vehicle.
Q Crutchfield asked: Why did you buy this?
28 questions already asked