About the PAC SWI-RC Steering Wheel Control Adapter
Installation Note: Some newer vehicles require a special interface for this installation. Click here to see if you need an interface to install the SWI-RC adapter in your vehicle. If you see one, add it to your cart along with this adapter.
You want to install an aftermarket stereo in your vehicle, but you hate to give up the convenience of your factory steering wheel radio controls? No problem. PAC's SWI-RC adapter allows you to use the steering wheel audio controls in a wide variety of vehicles to command select radios from Alpine, Clarion, Dual, Jensen, JVC, Kenwood, Pioneer, and Sony.
Installation is straightforward — connect a few wires, then program the adapter for your particular car and your stereo, and you'll retain the convenience of your steering wheel controls. The direct connection to the stereo eliminates the need for an infrared emitter, allowing the interface to function even in bright sunlight. Step-by-step LED confirmation makes programming easy. Once connected, the SWI-RC's failsafe memory will learn up to 12 stereo functions, retaining them even if battery power is interrupted. Dimensions: 2"W x 7/8"H x 2-7/8"D. Warranty: 1 year.
Important Note: On some vehicles, you may need a voltmeter to locate the correct wires to connect to the SWI-RC. If you have no car audio installation experience, you should consider professional installation. The SWI-RC works with most Alpine, Clarion, Dual, Jensen, JVC, Kenwood, Pioneer, and Sony stereos that have a wired remote control input port or a dedicated steering wheel input, but please call or email us to confirm compatibility with your radio.
Wiring Advisory: You'll usually have to tap into one to three wires in your vehicle at the radio location to connect this interface. If you're using a PAC OEM integration adapter to connect your new car stereo to your vehicle, then it most likely will have a prewired connector for this PAC steering wheel audio control adapter. In these cases, no additional wiring in required. PAC does provide custom wiring instructions for all confirmed compatible vehicles on their website.
What's in the box:
- Steering wheel control interface module (with attached 9" blue/yellow wire and 34" cable terminated by a right-angle male 3.5mm connector)
- 24" Wiring harness
- Packet of 8 resistors (includes 47 ohms/100 ohms/150 ohms/560 ohms/1000 ohms/1500 ohms/3900 ohms/5100 ohms)
- 0.47uF Capacitor
- Installation Instructions
- 2 Vehicle Connector Charts
- Bluetooth Commands note
- "WORK LESS! note
- Technical Support contact information
More details on the PAC SWI-RC Steering Wheel Control Adapter
Overview: The PAC SWI-RC Steering Wheel Control Interface lets you retain steering wheel control functions when replacing the factory radio in select vehicles with an aftermarket head unit that is OEM steering wheel control compatible.
Wiring Advisory: You'll usually have to hardwire this adapter into your vehicle's wiring. In most vehicles, the factory radio plug does not have a wire dedicated to the steering wheel audio controls, so splicing & soldering is often required. PAC does provide custom wiring instructions for all confirmed compatible vehicles on their website.
Compatible Aftermarket Head Units: The PAC SWI-RC Steering Wheel Control Interface is compatible with the following steering wheel remote ready aftermarket head units.
- Alpine, Clarion, Dual, Jensen Pioneer, Sony, and Valor: The aftermarket head unit must be equipped with a 3.5mm steering wheel input jack. (Not compatible with Sony XAV-V630BT, XAV-V631BT, XAV-AX100, XAV-W650BT, or XAV-W651BT.)
- JVC & Kenwood: The aftermarket head unit must be equipped with a blue/yellow steering wheel input wire. (Not compatible with Kenwood KDC-BT318U, KDC-BT558U, KDC-BT562U, KDC-BT758HD, KDC-X598, KDC-X798, KMR-D558BT, or KMR-D562BT.)
Note: Not compatible with Rosen, CarShow, or Parrot receivers.
Vehicle Application: The PAC SWI-RC Steering Wheel Control Interface is compatible with models from the following car manufactures; Acura, Audi, BMW, Buick, Cadillac, Chevrolet, Chrysler, Dodge, Ford, GMC, Harley Davidson, Honda, Hummer, Hyundai, Infiniti, Isuzu, Jaguar, Jeep, Kia, Land Rover, Lexus, Lincoln, Mazda, Mercedes, Mercury, Mini, Mitsubishi, Nissan, Oldsmobile, Plymouth, Pontiac, Porsche, Saab, Saturn, Scion, Suzuki, Toyota, and Volkswagen. Check out PAC's online vehicle application chart for the latest vehicle compatibility.
Control Functions: The PAC SWI-RC Steering Wheel Control Interface can be easily programmed. See control settings and functions below.
|Control Functions||Volume +/-||Volume +/-||Volume +/-||Volume +/-||Volume +/-||Volume +/-||Volume +/-||Volume +/-|
|Preset +/-||Track +/-||Play||Search +/-||Track +/-||Preset +/-||Preset +/-||Preset +/-|
|Track +/-||Band/Disc +||Track +/-||Band||Cursor up/down||Track +/-||Track +/-||Track +/-|
|Power||Preset/Disc -||Disc/FM +||Send||OK||Band||Band||Band|
|Play/Enter||Select||Disc/AM -||End||***||***||Phone Menu||***|
|Receive (phone)||Phone Receive/Reject||***||***||***||***||End Call||***|
|End||Voice Dial||***||***||***||***||Voice Activation||***|
Note: The PAC SWI-RC Steering Wheel Control Interface retains programming even if your vehicle's battery is disconnected.
- The Clarion CZ500 does not support remote Bluetooth controls.
- The JVC KW-NT1 and KW-NT3HDT do not support preset up/down from steering wheel controls.
- The Pioneer AVIC-F series radios do not interpret radio preset seeking commands. This is a limitation of the radio, not the SWI-RC.
- Pioneer head units with Bluetooth feature, the steering wheel controls will not adjust the phone call volume. The phone call volume must be adjusted on the face of the Pioneer head unit. This is a limitation of the radio and not the SWI-RC.
- Only the Pioneer AVIC-Z110BT, Z120, Z130, and AVIC-X920BT, X930BT will support the voice recognition function via wired remote input.
Vehicle Exception Notes:
|Audi||2002-2008 A4/S4||A PAC radio replacement interface or the SWI-CAN is required.|
|BMW||All||Not compatible with 5V SWC data wire at the steering column or with factory activated cellular phones.|
|Mercedes||2003-2004 C230||A PAC radio replacement interface or the SWI-CAN is required.|
|2003-2004 CLK 320|
|2000-2002 CLK||A PAC radio replacement interface or the SWI-CAN2 is required.|
|2007 CLK 350|
|Mitsubishi||2006-2007 Raider||A PAC radio replacement interface or the SWI-CAN2 is required.|
|Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep||2004+ Durango||A PAC radio replacement interface, the SWI-CAN or SWI-CAN2 is required (unless you are using the SW-IRC in conjunction with the C2R-CHY4).|
|All 2005+ Vehicles|
|Toyota||Sienna||Not compatible with vehicles before 2001.|
|Volkswagen||All||A PAC radio replacement interface or the SWI-CAN must also be used in all models with double-DIN head units.|
|Volvo||All||Not compatible with any Volvo models.|
Resistor Kit: Some vehicles have a separate wire for each of the steering wheel buttons. Use the resistor kit for steering wheel push buttons that do not already have a resistor network connected to them. The resistor kit includes the following resistors:
- 47 Ohms (yellow, purple, black, and gold bands)
- 100 Ohms (brown, black, brown, and gold bands)
- 150 Ohms (brown, green, brown, and gold bands)
- 560 Ohms (green, blue, brown, and gold bands)
- 1000 Ohms (brown, black, red, and gold bands)
- 1500 Ohms (brown, green, red, and gold bands)
- 3900 Ohms (orange, white, red, and gold bands)
- 5100 Ohms (green, brown, red, and gold bands)
0.47uF Capacitor: In the rare case where your vehicle's steering wheel buttons are intermittent or the aftermarket radio sometimes functions by itself, the enclosed 0.47uF capacitor can be installed to solve this issue. The 0.47uF capacitor can be connected between the SWI-RC interface's white and black wires. Connect the lead of the supplied capacitor to the SWI-RC's white wire and the remaining lead to ground.
The PAC SWI-RC Steering Wheel Control Adapter replaces these items
- Allows you to control select Alpine, Clarion, JVC, and Kenwood stereos with your factory steering wheel controls
- splicing required
- Allows you to control select Pioneer and Sony stereos with your factory steering wheel controls
- splicing required
19 questions already asked