About the Rockford Fosgate PMX-3
A gauge-mount design with giant-size features
A gauge-mount design with giant-size features
Rockford Fosgate's PMX-3 digital media receiver isn't just a receiver; it's kind of like a command center. This all-weather powerhouse gives you a remarkable array of entertainment options in a compact package that fits into a standard 3" gauge opening. You can even connect a camera!
Hear it, see it
This small chassis holds a lot of technology. With the PMX-3 in your boat or ATV, you can stream music with built-in Bluetooth connectivity, check weather and news on the AM/FM/WB radio, or connect a music player or thumb drive to the USB input. You can also add a SiriusXM tuner. Whatever you're playing, it's easy to see on the 2.7" TFT color display
Apple or Android
The PMX-3 works with both Apple and Android phones, so you're ready to rock, no matter which type you prefer. Built-in Bluetooth (with Simple Secure Pairing) lets you stream your stored music and you can control your Pandora playlists (direct USB for Apple or Android via Bluetooth), too. You'll also appreciate the rear charging USB and rear AUX inputs.
Pretty sweet sound
Now that you know all the ways you can play music with the PMX-3, you're probably wondering how it's going to sound. Pretty good, we'd say. The built-in amp pumps out plenty of power, and you can tune the sound to suit your tastes with the 7-band equalizer. With two full-range front channels and selectable rear/sub outputs, you can build a pretty nifty system around your PMX-3. And if you add a sub, the front panel control makes it easy to tune your bass.
Ease of use
Piloting a boat or wheeling an ATV down a trail is busy work that demands your attention. That's why the PMX-3 is designed for ease of use. The buttons are easy to read and use, even with gloves on. The white, backlit controls are easy to see, day or night. And it's easy to activate an action or rear-view camera with the external trigger.
Ready for mud and moisture
This receiver is designed for marine and off-road use, with an epoxy-coated circuit board and a durable front panel that's tough enough for pretty much anything you can get into. It's IPX6-rated for water intrusion, so even if you're hosing off your boat or ATV after a fun day in the outdoors, you won't have to worry about the receiver. Salt, fog, dust and sunlight won't hurt it, either, so get out there and enjoy yourself.
Bluetooth note: Use of this receiver's Bluetooth features will depend upon your phone's Bluetooth capabilities. Learn more in our article explaining Bluetooth profiles.
iPod®/smartphone note: If you're going to use your iPod or smartphone with this receiver, be sure to check "Details" for compatibility information.
This digital media receiver will not play CDs.
- marine digital media receiver with camera input (does not play CDs)
- built-in amplifier (25 watts RMS CEA2006/45 peak x 4 channels)
- built-in Bluetooth for music streaming (will not make calls)
- works with Apple and Android smartphones
- 2.7" color display
- global AM/FM/Weather tuner
- plays MP3/WMA/WAV files
- front panel subwoofer control
- selectable high-pass and low-pass crossovers
- adjustable input gain for each source
- Punch EQ: 7-band graphic equalizer
- inputs: rear charging USB port, rear aux input; camera input (RCA)
- works with SiriusXM satellite radio tuner (sold separately)
- outputs: 4-channel preamp outputs (2-volt front and selectable rear/sub)
Other Features and Specs:
- external trigger input activates reverse camera mode
- compatible with optional wired remotes (3 max)
- IPX-6 front panel for excellent water resistance
- backlit LED buttons
- compact chassis
- two-piece mounting system to secure panel to mounting surface
- integrated voltage gauge with low voltage alert
- EEPROM non-volatile memory
- dimensions: 4-1/2"W x 2-15/16"D x 4-1/4"H
- cutout diameter: 2.945"
- warranty: 2 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # PMX-3
What's in the box:
- Marine digital media receiver
- Mounting plate
- Mounting bracket
- Wiring harness
- 4 Machine screws
- 4 Hex-nuts
- Installation/Operation booklet
More details on the Rockford Fosgate PMX-3
Features & specs
|AUX Input||RCA (rear)|
|USB Port Power||1A|
|Backup Camera Input||No|
|Second Camera Input||No|
|Alexa Voice Control||N|
|Memory Card Slot||USB memory|
|Satellite Radio Ready||SiriusXM|
|Nano||6Gen and newer|
|Touch||3Gen and newer|
|iPhone||3GS and newer|
|RMS Power (CTA-2006)||25 watts|
|RMS Power (Manufacturer)||25 watts|
|Peak Output||50 watts|
|RMS Power Bandwidth||20-20kHz|
|Sub Preamp Outputs||No|
|Switchable Rear Preamp Outputs||Yes|
|Navigation App Compatible (iOS)|
|Navigation App Compatible (Android)|
|Preamp Voltage||4 volts|
|Key Button Color||White|
|Steering Wheel Control Compatible||No|
|Parts Warranty||2 Years|
|Labor Warranty||2 Years|
|FM Sensitivity||8 dBf|
|Radio Data System||No|
|Music File Playback||MP3, WMA|
|Second Camera Input Lane Watch||N|
Marine Certified: Rockford Fosgate's PMX series of source units are fully tested against UV radiation degradation as well as tested to IPX water intrusion standards. They are also fully tested for ever changing environmental conditions such as temperature extremes, as well as vibration testing to make sure they can take a bump and keep performing. The PMX-3 is protected against Dust, UV, Temperature, Water, Corrosion & Vibration.
- Dust: The unit's display and motor structure are sealed up tight so they look as clear as possible and perform day in and day out no matter how many times you hit the trails.
- UV Inhibitor Materials: Centrex and ASA plastic materials are used for UV radiation resistance and components are tested in accordance with ASTM D4329 testing and certification procedures.
- Thermal Shock Tested: Tested for extreme temperature operation as well as severe fluctuations in ambient temperature. Components are taken to both low and high temperature extremes and then tested to ensure operational capabilities.
- Water Tested: IPX5 and IPX6 Ratings allow for the components to be directly sprayed with water without water incursion.
- Corrosion Protection: Two part epoxy coated PCB boards prevent corrosion of critical components due to exposure in moisture rich environments.
- Vibration: Subjected to full vibration and shock testing to ensure that it will take abuse and keep performing to our stringent standards.
Applications: The PMX-3 digital media receiver is designed for marine and motorsports systems.
Optically Bonded LCD: The Rockford Fosgate PMX-3 features a 2.7" TFT color LCD for optimum viewing, even in full sun, that is optically wet bonded to prevent any dust or moisture penetration. There are two brightness settings for the LCD screen.
Water Resistant Control Knob: The PMX-3 uses a water resistant rotary encoder knob, along with push-button controls that feature white LED illumination.
Voltage Gauge & Warning: You can check the voltage of your system through the PMX-3's menu. The unit also provides a Low Voltage Warning Alert.
EEPROM (Electrically Erasable Programmable Read-Only Memory): The Rockford Fosgate PMX-3 features an EEPROM memory system which retains settings even when power is removed.
Bluetooth Music Streaming: The Rockford Fosgate PMX-3 offers built-in Bluetooth (version 3.0+EDR) for wireless music playback from your Bluetooth-enabled Apple iPod/iPhone/iPad, Android smartphone/tablet, Windows phone, Blackberry, and more. You are able to stream stored music and music apps from your Bluetooth device to the PMX-3 marine receiver. You can control basic playback functions like Play/Pause, Previous Next/Track and Repeat/Shuffle for stored music and music apps on your device. When using a Bluetooth AVRCP 1.4 compatible device like the Apple iPhone (iOS 5.0+) or an Android smartphone (OS 4.0+), you can even browse your stored music by category (Playlist/Artist/Song/Genre). The PMX-3 will also display your device's song/artist information with album art.
Note: This unit does not support Bluetooth hands-free communication for phone calls.
Optional Wired Remotes: The PMX-3 features a wired remote input which is compatible with Rockford Fosgate's PMX-1R & PMX-0R wired remote controllers (both sold separately). In most cases you will need one of Rockford Fosgate's extension cables (sold separately) to connect a wired remote controller. Up to 3 remotes can be added to one marine receiver using PMXYC Y-cable (sold separately).
Camera Input: The PMX-3 features a composite video input for adding a backup camera (sold separately), so you can see what's behind your vehicle on the PMX-3's LCD monitor. In addition, there is a Reverse Gear (purple/white) wire which connects to your vehicle's reverse lamp that will allow the marine receiver to automatically switch over to the display of the backup camera.
USB Port: The Rockford Fosgate features a rear-panel USB (type-A) port for connection of a USB mass storage class device, like a USB thumbdrive or flashdrive. The unit supports playback of MP3 and WMA music files (999 folders/999 songs) loaded onto a USB MSC device (up to 32GB). You are able to browse your music by folders, as well as control basic playback functions like Play/Pause, Previous/Next Track and Repeat/Random.
Note: The unit's USB port is not compatible with Android.
iPod/iPhone Direct Connection: The Rockford Fosgate PMX-3's USB port can be used to connect your Lightning-connector or 30-pin dock connector iPod/iPhone to the head unit. Simply use the cable that came with your iPod/iPhone device or a 3rd party Apple certified cable (sold separately). The PMX-3 supports audio playback, music navigation, information display (including album art), and charging of your compatible Apple device.
- Music Control: The PMX-3 lets you navigate your Apple device's stored music by Playlist, Artist, Album, Song, Genre, Podcast, Composer, or Audiobook. The head unit also offers basic playback functions like Play/Pause, Previous/Next Track, and Random/Repeat. Newer Apple devices with iOS 6.0+ will remain unlocked while connected, so you can access music apps on your device. Older Apple device's clickwheels & touchscreens will lock when connected to the PMX-3.
- Song/Artist Info + Album Art: The head unit will display your iPod/iPhone's stored music file information; including Track number, Elapsed playing time, Song title, and Artist/Artist name. It will also display album art.
- Charging: The head unit's USB connection provides 1A of current to power and charge your connected iPod/iPhone when your vehicle's ignition switch is set to the 'ACC' or 'On' position (if your iPod/iPhone has no initial battery charge, then the unit will not recognize it).
Apple Device Compatibility Chart: The Rockford Fosgate PMX-3 is "Made for iPod/iPhone" compatible and supports the following iPod/iPhone model features (as of 7/23/2019):
|Apple Device||Generation||Tested Version||Media Type||Control Type||Display Type||Bluetooth||Charge|
|Audio||Video||Head Unit||iPod/iPhone||Pandora||Album Art||Artist/Song Text||Track Info||Phone||Audio|
Note: Apple iPod/iPhone software updates may change functionality results. If you download a newer software version, you may need to reset the head unit and your iPod/iPhone to regain functionality. If this doesn't work, you may need to wait until a newer software update is available.
Aux Input: The Rockford Fosgate PMX-3 is fitted with a rear-panel stereo RCA AUX input to connect an external audio source. You can give the Aux input a custom name.
AM/FM Tuner: The PMX-3 features a built-in AM/FM tuner with manual, seek, and preset tuning. You can store up to 18 FM and 12 AM preset stations; these presets can be stored manually or automatically. You can set the tuner to Local or Distance tuning. The Local option tunes to nearby radio stations with sufficiently strong signals for good reception. In areas where reception is poor, switching to Distance tuning enables the unit to tune in to more distant stations. You can choose between US or European tuning.
Weather Band: The Rockford Fosgate PMX-3 is also equipped with a built-in weather band tuner. Select from weather band frequencies between 162.40 to 162.55.
Pandora Internet Radio: The free Pandora App (either from Apple's App Store or Google Play) lets you play music from the Pandora music service through the Rockford Fosgate PMX-3 using your USB-connected or Bluetooth-paired Apple iPhone (iOS 9.0+), or Bluetooth-paired Android smartphone. Your Apple iPhone must be connected to the PMX-3 via the appropriate the Dock-/Lightning-cable that came with your iPhone or via Bluetooth. Your Android smartphone must support A2DP/AVRCP/SPP Bluetooth profiles and be paired with the marine receiver. Your iPhone or Android smartphone will also need an active Data Plan account with connection to the Internet via 3G, EDGE, or WiFi. The PMX-3 provides control over the Pandora music service and displays Artist, Album, and Song information.
- Station List: You can select Pandora stations from your Station List by date or alphabetically.
- New Station: Based on a currently playing track or artist, you can create a new station and save it to your Pandora account.
- Skip Songs: You can skip song tracks within a station. You cannot skip back to a previous song. Pandora limits the number of skips allowed.
- Thumbs Up/Down: You can give songs a thumbs up or thumbs down to help Pandora personalize stations to suit your preferences.
- Bookmarking: The song or artist currently being played can be bookmarked & stored in your Pandora account.
Note: Access to these online service will depend on the availability of a cellular and/or WiFi network for purposes of allowing your iPhone or smartphone to connect to the Internet. Pandora is not supported in Canada and only available in the United States.
SiriusXM-Ready: The Rockford Fosgate PMX-3 is SiriusXM-Ready and compatible with the SiriusXM Connect Vehicle Tuner (220SXV300 sold separately). The SiriusXM Connect Vehicle Tuner supports SiriusXM programming with access to 175+ SiriusXM channels via subscription; check out the most popular SiriusXM subscription packages here.
- Information such as Channel Name, Artist Name, & Song Title can be viewed on the head unit's display
- Category Search feature lets you search for channels within a certain genre or category
- Up to 18 SiriusXM Satellite Radio station presets
- Direct tuning of a SiriusXM station
- Channels containing unsuitable content for children can be blocked
Note: A separate SiriusXM Satellite Radio subscription is required (operates on the XM Network). However, you can easily add this SiriusXM tuner to an existing Sirius or XM account for a Multi-Radio Discount Plan.
MOSFET Amplifier: The PMX-3 is equipped with a MOSFET amplifier. Compared to conventional power supplies, the MOSFET amplification circuit is smaller and more efficient, and it delivers increased power with less distortion and absolutely zero on/off switching noise. More power means louder and cleaner music at higher volumes because you're not pushing the limits of the amplification circuit.
- Full Bandwidth Power: 25 watts RMS x 4 channels (at 4 ohms, 20-20kHz, 1% THD)
- Maximum Output Power: 50 watts x 4 channels (200 watts total)
Note: The power specifications for the marine receiver are compliant with the CEA2006 Mobile Amplifier Power Testing and Measurement standards from the Consumer Electronics Association (CEA). These standards were developed as a way to equitably compare power specs from model to model and between manufacturers.
4V/4Ch Preouts: The Rockford Fosgate PMX-3 is equipped with two pair of 4-volt preamp outputs (Front & Rear/Sub). You can configure the Rear/Sub pre-out for rear speakers with fading capability or as a non-fading sub output. You can turn off the unit's internal amplifier, you plan on using only external amps.
Equalizer: The PMX-3 is equipped with a variety of EQ presets, and 7-Band EQ, and Rockford Fosgate's Punch EQ.
- Presets: Select between seven EQ presets - FLAT, ROCK, CLASSIC, ACOUSTIC, DANCE, ELECTRONIC, or HIP-HOP.
- 7-Band EQ: Use the built-in 7-band EQ to custom tailor the sound of your music to your liking.
- Punch EQ: Punch EQ is an onboard equalizer with up to +18dB at 45Hz and/or up to +12dB boost at 12.5kHz.
High-Pass & Low-Pass Crossovers: The PMX-3 provides a high-pass crossover for the front & rear channels which can be set to 60Hz, 80Hz, 120Hz, or Full-Range. The unit also provides a low-pass crossover for the subwoofer output that can be set to 60Hz, 80Hz, 120Hz, or Full-Range.
Sub Control: When the sub out is activated, you can independently adjust its volume level from 0 to 40.
Source Gain: You can adjust the gain of each source so they all play at the same volume level. Select between -3dB, -2dB, -1dB, 0dB, +1dB, +2dB, or +3dB for each source.
Key Beep: A beep tone will sound with any press of a button on the receiver. This can be turned on or off.
Custom Mount: The Rockford Fosgate PMX-3 requires a round cutout in the bulkhead for inserting the chassis (will fit in a standard 3" gauge opening). Four machine screws and mounting bracket fasten the unit against the mounting surface, and hold the waterproof gasket and metal plate against the bulkhead. The included trim-ring hides the mounting screws for a neat installation.
Note: The receiver does not include a mounting sleeve or ISO-mount screw holes to accommodate standard European or ISO-DIN automotive installation.
Dimensions: The receiver has the following dimensions:
- Diameter: 2.945"
- Depth: 4.25"
- Width: 4.305"
- Height: 3.935"
- Depth: 1.375"
- Trim Ring:
- Width: 4.445"
- Height: 4.045"
- Depth: 0.645"
Screw Hole Pattern: The faceplate has two mounting holes across the top of the face-plate, and two holes on the bottom of the faceplate for securing the unit to the bulkhead. The included trim-ring covers the screws holes for a neat installation. The screw hole spacing is as follows.
- Width (Top & Bottom): 3.995"
- Height (Between Top and Bottom Row): 3.515
- Screw Mounting Depth: 0.75"
7 questions already asked