About the Rockford Fosgate PMX-8BB
The brains of the outfit
The brains of the outfit
Rockford Fosgate designed this hide-away PMX-8BB "black box” digital media receiver to work with their PMX-8DH controller. With this compact unit tucked away below and the PMX-8DH on your dash, you'll have a convenient, powerful system that will keep you and your crew entertained.
Designed for digital music
With built-in Bluetooth and simple, secure pairing, it's easy to make your smartphone the center of your marine media system. It works with your Apple or Android phone (see below) and lets you enjoy your stored music or listen to your favorite Pandora playlists. You can also tune in to terrestrial AM/FM or Weatherband radio channels.
You can tune in to terrestrial AM/FM or Weatherband radio channels, or add a satellite radio tuner to enjoy SiriusXM's awesome programming when you're miles and miles offshore.
The compact design fits into tight spots.
Four listening zones
The PMX-8BB lets you ontrol four separate zones on your vessel. Each zone includes selectable high-pass and low-pass filters, selectable (12 dB or 24 dB) crossover slopes, and dedicated DSP audio processors with independent 7-band EQs and Rockford Fosgate's Plus EQ. The built-in 4-channel amp delivers 25 watts RMS per channel.
Once you have those setting straight, Electrically Erasable Programmable Read-Only Memory (EEPROM), a type of non-volatile memory, will keep them all safe when the power is removed during the off-season.
You'll control most of the PMX-8BB's functions through the PMX-8DH, but you can also add up to three Rockford Fosgate remote controls. Mount one on the bow, one on the swim platform, and one down below. It all depends on your boat and how many controllers you need.
You can also connect a rear-view camera to the receiver and see what's behind you when you're backing into a slip, which is a great feature for any boat, but especially larger vessels.
Other control options include an IR remote input and an input for wired illumination control. You can also connect an optional Rockford Fosgate CAN-BUS transceiver, which connects this receiver to your Multi-Function Display (MFD) system. The rear USB port can be used to charge your devices and install firmware and Bluetooth software updates.
Built tough for boating
The hideaway design keeps the PMX-8BB out of the elements, of course, but life on a boat is still a damp, humid existence. To ensure all-season reliability, Rockford equips this water-resistant receiver with a conformal coated circuit board, so it will keep rockin' for years to come. It sports an IPX5 rating for water intrusion, so it's protected against moisture or the occasional stray blast of water.
Bluetooth note: Use of this receiver's Bluetooth features will depend upon your phone's Bluetooth capabilities. Learn more in our article explaining Bluetooth profiles.
iPhone note: If you're going to use your iPod with this receiver, be sure to check "Details" for specific iPod model compatibility with this receiver.
This marine digital media receiver will not play CDs.
- hideaway marine digital media receiver
- requires PMX-8DH wired remote
- built-in amplifier (25 watts RMS/50 peak x 4 channels)
- built-in Bluetooth
- control up to 4 audio zones
- selectable high pass and low pass crossover points for each zone
- 7-band EQ
- adjustable input gain for each source
- works with Apple and Android phones
- control Pandora through USB (Apple) or Bluetooth (Android)
- AM/FM receiver with Weather Band
- 6-channel preamp outputs (2.5-volt front, rear, sub)
- iPod/iPhone on-screen display (with remote display)
- rear USB and AUX inputs
- SiriusXM Ready (with SXV300 tuner, sold separately)
- compatible with steering wheel remotes and back-up caneras
- supports up to 3 remote controls
Other Features and Specs:
- conformal-coated PCB circuit board
- IPX5 water resistant
- upgradeable firmware and Bluetooth software via USB
- Electrically Erasable Programmable Read-Only Memory (EEPROM)
- dimensions: 4-1/4" H x 8-5/16" W x 2-1/4" D
- CEA-2006 certified
- warranty: 2 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # PMX-8BB
What's in the box:
- Hide-away marine receiver
- 4 Screws
- Intallation/Operation Manual
More details on the Rockford Fosgate PMX-8BB
Features & specs
|AUX Input||RCA x 2 (rear)|
|Backup Camera Input||No|
|Second Camera Input||No|
|Alexa Voice Control||N|
|Memory Card Slot||USB memory|
|Satellite Radio Ready||SiriusXM|
|RMS Power (CTA-2006)||25 watts|
|RMS Power (Manufacturer)||---|
|Peak Output||50 watts|
|RMS Power Bandwidth||20-20kHz|
|Sub Preamp Outputs||Yes|
|Switchable Rear Preamp Outputs||No|
|Navigation App Compatible (iOS)|
|Navigation App Compatible (Android)|
|Preamp Voltage||4 volts|
|Key Button Color||N/A|
|Steering Wheel Control Compatible||Adapter required|
|Parts Warranty||2 Years|
|Labor Warranty||2 Years|
|Radio Data System||Yes|
|Music File Playback||MP3|
Hide-Away Digital Media Receiver: The PMX-8BB hide-away digital media receiver is designed & engineered for marine and motorsports systems.
Element & Marine Ready: The Rockford Fosgate PMX-8BB hide-away receiver is fully tested against UV radiation degradation as well as tested to IPX water intrusion standards. They are also fully tested for ever changing environmental conditions such as temperature extremes, as well as vibration testing to make sure they can take a bump and keep performing.
- Dust: The unit's display and motor structure are sealed up tight so they look as clear as possible and perform day in and day out no matter how many times you hit the trails.
- UV Inhibitor Materials: Centrex and ASA plastic materials are used for UV radiation resistance and components are tested in accordance with ASTM D4329 testing and certification procedures.
- Thermal Shock Tested: Tested for extreme temperature operation as well as severe fluctuations in ambient temperature. Components are taken to both low and high temperature extremes and then tested to ensure operational capabilities.
- Water Tested: An IPX5 Rating allows for the components to be directly sprayed with water without water incursion.
- Corrosion Protection: Two part epoxy coated PCB boards prevent corrosion of critical components due to exposure in moisture rich environments.
- Vibration Resistant: Subjected to full vibration and shock testing to ensure that it will take abuse and keep performing to our stringent standards.
EEPROM: The Rockford Fosgate PMX-8BB features an EEPROM memory system which retains settings even when power is removed. Electrically Erasable Programmable Read-Only Memory (EEPROM) is a type of non-volatile memory used in electronic devices to store data that must be saved when power is removed.
Optional NMEA2K Translator: Rockford Fosgate's PMX-CAN interface (575PMXCAN, sold separately) allows interconnection between the PMX-8BB marine source unit and a Multi-Function Display (MFD) system using the NMEA2K entertainment standard. The PMX-CAN translates commands from the NMEA2K compatible MFD system into something the PMX-8BB understands allowing you to control the unit remotely while getting direct informational feedback regarding your audio selection and source.
Required Wired Remote Controller: The PMX-8BB hide-away marine receiver requires Rockford Fosgate's PMX-8DH wired remote controller (sold separately). This wired remote controller features a 5" LCD screen, rotary knob, and push-button controls. It connects to the PMX-8BB via a 10' multi-pin DIN cable which is included with the wired remote (this remote cannot be used with an additional extension cable).
Optional Wired Remote Controls: Up to 3 remotes can be added the PMX-8BB hide-away marine receiver using Rockford's PMXYC Y-cable (sold separately). This allows you to connect Rockford Fosgate's PMX-1R & PMX-0R wired remote controllers (both sold separately) in other areas of your boat or vessel. In most cases you will need one of Rockford Fosgate's extension cables (sold separately) to connect a wired remote controller.
Note: The 3 remote controllers can have a combined wired distance of 100' from the hide-away receiver.
Steering Wheel Control Input: For vehicles with factory steering wheel controls, use the PAC SWI-RC or the Metra Axxess ASWC-1 SWC interface module (both sold separately) to retain factory steering wheel controls when you replace your factory radio with the Rockford Fosgate PMX-8BB.
Bluetooth Audio Streaming: The Rockford Fosgate PMX-8BB offers built-in Bluetooth (version 3.0+EDR) for wireless music playback from your Bluetooth-enabled Apple iPod/iPhone/iPad, Android smartphone/tablet, Windows phone, Blackberry, and more. You are able to stream stored music and music apps from your Bluetooth source device to the PMX-8BB marine hide-away receiver.
- Music Control: You can control basic playback functions like Play/Pause, Previous Next/Track and Repeat/Shuffle for stored music and music apps on your device. When using a Bluetooth AVRCP 1.4 compatible device like the Apple iPhone (iOS 5.0+) or an Android smartphone (OS 4.0+), you can even browse your stored music by category (Playlist/Artist/Song/Genre).
- Son/Artist Info: The PMX-8BB will also display your device's song/artist information with album art on your connected Rockford Fosgate PMX-8DH wired remote controller.
Note: This unit does not support Bluetooth hands-free communication for phone calls.
Dual USB Ports: The Rockford Fosgate PMX-8BB features two USB (type-A) ports. One that supports music play and charging, and the other that supports charging only.
- USB Music Playback: The "Black" USB port can be used for connection of a USB mass storage class device, like a USB thumb-drive or flash-drive. This USB port supports playback of MP3 music files loaded onto a USB MSC device (up to 32GB). The unit will recognize up to 999 folders and 999 songs. You are able to browse your music by folders, as well as control basic playback functions like Play/Pause, Previous/Next Track and Repeat/Random.
- USB Charging: The "White" USB port supports charging (5V/1A) only of your connected USB portable device.
Note: The unit's USB port is not compatible with Android, USB hubs, or USB card-readers.
iPod/iPhone Direct: The Rockford Fosgate PMX-8BB's USB port can be used to connect your Lightning-connector or 30-pin dock connector iPod/iPhone to the receiver. Simply use the cable that came with your iPod/iPhone device or a 3rd party Apple certified cable (sold separately). The PMX-8BB supports audio playback, music navigation, information display (including album art), and charging of your compatible Apple device.
- Music Control: The PMX-8BB lets you navigate your Apple device's stored music by Playlist, Artist, Album, Song, Genre, Podcast, Composer, or Audiobook. The hide-away receiver also offers basic playback functions like Play/Pause, Previous/Next Track, and Random/Repeat. Newer Apple devices with iOS 6.0+ will remain unlocked while connected, so you can access music apps on your device. Older Apple device's touchscreens will lock when connected to the PMX-8BB.
- Song/Artist Info + Album Art: The receiver will display your iPod/iPhone's stored music file information on PMX8DH wired remote controller. Music file information displayed consists of Track number, Elapsed playing time, Song title, Artist name, and Album Art.
- Charging: The receiver's USB connection provides 1A of current to power and charge your connected iPod/iPhone when your vehicle's ignition switch is set to the 'ACC' or 'On' position (if your iPod/iPhone has no initial battery charge, then the unit will not recognize it).
Apple Device Compatibility Chart: The Rockford Fosgate PMX-8BB is "Made for iPod/iPhone" compatible and supports the following iPod/iPhone model features (as of 7/23/2019):
|Apple Device||Generation||Tested Version||Media Type||Control Type||Display Type||Bluetooth||Charge|
|Audio||Video||Head Unit||iPod/iPhone||Pandora||Album Art||Artist/Song Text||Track Info||Phone||Audio|
Note: Apple iPod/iPhone software updates may change functionality results. If you download a newer software version, you may need to reset the head unit and your iPod/iPhone to regain functionality. If this doesn't work, you may need to wait until a newer software update is available.
Dual Aux Inputs: The Rockford Fosgate PMX-8BB is fitted with dual stereo RCA auxiliary inputs to connect up to two an external audio sources. You can give each Aux input a custom name.
AM/FM Tuner: The PMX-8BB features a built-in AM/FM tuner with manual, seek, and preset tuning. You can store up to 18 FM and 12 AM preset stations; these presets can be stored manually or automatically. You can set the tuner to Local or Distance tuning. The Local option tunes to nearby radio stations with sufficiently strong signals for good reception. In areas where reception is poor, switching to Distance tuning enables the unit to tune in to more distant stations.
- The Radio Data System (RDS): The Radio Data System (RDS) feature displays radio broadcast information such as artist & track information when listening to compatible AM/FM stations.
- North American & European Tuning: You can choose between North American or European tuning.
Weather Band: The Rockford Fosgate PMX-8BB is also equipped with a built-in weather band tuner. Select from weather band frequencies between 162.40 to 162.55. You can store 6 weather band presets.
Pandora Internet Radio: The free Pandora App (either from Apple's App Store or Google Play) lets you play music from the Pandora music service through the Rockford Fosgate PMX-8BB using your USB-connected or Bluetooth-paired Apple iPhone (iOS 9.0+), or Bluetooth-paired Android smartphone. Your Apple iPhone must be connected to the PMX-8BB via the appropriate the Dock-/Lightning-cable that came with your iPhone or via Bluetooth. Your Android smartphone must support A2DP/AVRCP/SPP Bluetooth profiles and be paired with the marine receiver. Your iPhone or Android smartphone will also need an active Data Plan account with connection to the Internet via 3G, EDGE, or WiFi. The PMX-8BB provides control over the Pandora music service and displays Artist, Album, and Song information.
- Station List: You can select Pandora stations from your Station List by date or alphabetically.
- New Station: Based on a currently playing track or artist, you can create a new station and save it to your Pandora account.
- Skip Songs: You can skip song tracks within a station. You cannot skip back to a previous song. Pandora limits the number of skips allowed.
- Thumbs Up/Down: You can give songs a thumbs up or thumbs down to help Pandora personalize stations to suit your preferences.
- Bookmarking: The song or artist currently being played can be bookmarked & stored in your Pandora account.
Note: Access to these online service will depend on the availability of a cellular and/or WiFi network for purposes of allowing your iPhone or Android smartphone to connect to the Internet. Pandora is not supported in Canada and only available in the United States.
SiriusXM-Ready: The Rockford Fosgate PMX-8BB is SiriusXM-Ready and compatible with the SiriusXM Connect Vehicle Tuner (220SXV300 sold separately). The SiriusXM Connect Vehicle Tuner supports SiriusXM programming with access to 175+ SiriusXM channels via subscription; check out the most popular SiriusXM subscription packages here.
- Information such as Channel Name, Artist Name, & Song Title can be viewed on the PMX-8DH's LCD screen.
- Category Search feature lets you search for channels within a certain genre or category
- Up to 18 SiriusXM Satellite Radio station presets
- Direct tuning of a SiriusXM station
- Channels containing unsuitable content for children can be blocked
Note: A separate SiriusXM Satellite Radio subscription is required (operates on the XM Network). However, you can easily add this SiriusXM tuner to an existing Sirius or XM account for a Multi-Radio Discount Plan.
MOSFET Amplifier: The PMX-8BB is equipped with a MOSFET amplifier. Compared to conventional power supplies, the MOSFET amplification circuit is smaller and more efficient, and it delivers increased power with less distortion and absolutely zero on/off switching noise. More power means louder and cleaner music at higher volumes because you're not pushing the limits of the amplification circuit. If you won't be using the unit's built-in amplifier, you can turn it off.
- Full Bandwidth Power: 25 watts RMS x 4 channels (at 4 ohms, 20-20kHz, 1% THD)
- Maximum Output Power: 50 watts x 4 channels (200 watts total)
Note: The power specifications for the marine receiver are compliant with the CEA2006 Mobile Amplifier Power Testing and Measurement standards from the Consumer Electronics Association (CEA). These standards were developed as a way to equitably compare power specs from model to model and between manufacturers.
4 Zones: The PMX-8BB is equipped with 4 sets of 4V/4Ch preouts (Left/Right & Dual Sub), so you can set up 4 zones of audio on your boat. Each zone will playback the same source, but will offer independent volume control and independent crossover, sub, and EQ adjustment.
High-Pass & Low-Pass Crossovers: The PMX-8BB provides a high-pass crossover for the main channels which can be set to 60Hz, 80Hz, 120Hz, or Full-Range. The unit also provides a low-pass crossover for the subwoofer outputs that can be set to 60Hz, 80Hz, 120Hz, or Full-Range.
Equalizer: The PMX-8BBis equipped with a variety of EQ presets, a 7-Band EQ, and Rockford Fosgate's Punch EQ.
- Presets: Select between eight EQ presets - Flat, Rock, Classic, Acoustic, Dance, Electronic, Hip-Hop, or Off.
- 7-Band EQ: Use the built-in 7-band EQ to custom tailor the sound of your music to your liking.
- Punch EQ: Punch EQ is an onboard equalizer with up to +6B at 45Hz and/or up to +6B boost at 12.5kHz.
Sub Control: You can independently adjust the volume level of the sub output from 0 to 20.
Source Gain: You can adjust the gain of each source so they all play at the same volume level. Select between -3dB, -2dB, -1dB, 0dB, +1dB, +2dB, or +3dB for each source.
Q Crutchfield asked: Why did you buy this?
4 questions already asked