About the Onkyo TX-8160
A new take on an old classic
A new take on an old classic
Today's feature-packed home theater receivers are awesome, but if you're a serious music listener, a two-channel stereo receiver with connections for all your components may be your most sensible choice. The Onkyo TX-8160 combines a classic stereo receiver design with cutting-edge features for enjoying both digital and analog music sources. Onkyo's low-distortion Wide Range Amplification Technology gives you authentic, dynamic sound, while the receiver's 32-bit/384 kHz DAC helps bring out the best in any digital audio format, from high-resolution audio files to streamed music.
All the right connections
With seven analog inputs and four digital inputs, the TX-8160 has ample connections for your audio gear, from CD players to cassette decks. A dedicated phono input gives you a direct connection for a turntable, and there's even a set of analog stereo line outputs for audio dubbing. A front-panel USB port gives you convenient access to digital music files stored on a thumb drive, but all of the above is only about half of the equation — the TX-8160 has some very compelling wireless listening features as well.
Wireless capability expands your listening options
When it comes to music, we understand there's no such thing as too many choices. The TX-8160's networking capability lets you play songs from your personal digital music library, but why stop there? Support for the most popular streaming services like Pandora®, Spotify®, and SiriusXM Internet radio opens up an abundance of new listening options. You can listen to Internet radio stations anywhere in the world via TuneIn radio. Apple AirPlay lets you stream music from a compatible Apple device, while Bluetooth lets you stream from nearly any phone, tablet, or computer. The receiver remembers up to eight Bluetooth-enabled devices, making it easy for family and friends to share their music too.
Music in different rooms
Playback from such a capable music receiver shouldn't be confined to just one room, so the TX-8160 gives you the ability to spread your music through different parts of the house. A/B speaker connections mean you can add a second pair of speakers in another room or outdoor area. You can play the same source in both places simultaneously, or use the A/B switch to select the area you want to listen in. Zone 2 preamp outputs also send audio to a different room with a power amp and speakers. (You can play the same source in both zones, or a different source in Zone 2.) A dedicated DAC for Zone 2 lets you enjoy digital sources and even streamed music outside of your main listening area.
A convenient control app ties it all together
Onkyo's free Remote app for iOS and Android™ lets you control your music with your phone or tablet from any room in the house. The app lets you switch sources and control volume, along with adjusting bass and treble settings. It also shows you a list of supported streaming services to choose from, giving you full control over them from within the app.
- 80 watts x 2 into 8 ohms (20-20,000 Hz) at 0.08% THD
- high-current amplifier design with large power transformer
- built-in Wi-Fi for listening to music from a networked PC, free Internet radio, and music services
- includes support for Pandora®, SiriusXM Internet radio, and free Internet radio streams with TuneIn (subscription required for some services)
- Spotify® Connect lets you play Spotify's streaming music library through the receiver via your smartphone or tablet (requires Spotify app and a premium subscription)
- built-in Bluetooth for wireless music listening with smartphones, tablets, and compatible computers
- Apple AirPlay for streaming music from an iPhone®, iPad®, iPod touch® or computer running iTunes®
- DLNA-certified to ensure optimal compatibility with other network-enabled audio equipment
- plays high-resolution digital music files from a USB storage device or networked computer
- PCM files up to 24-bit/192kHz resolution; DSD files up to 5.6 MHz
- Onkyo's free remote app lets you use your Apple or Android™ device as a Wi-Fi remote
- 40 AM/FM presets
- 4 front-panel preset buttons let you store your favorite AM/FM or Internet radio stations for easy access
- 4 digital audio inputs (2 optical and 2 coaxial)
- 7 analog audio inputs (including MM phono for a turntable)
- analog audio outputs include:
- stereo RCA output for Zone 2 amp and speakers
- 1 mono RCA output for powered subwoofer
- binding post speaker connectors
- 1/4" headphone jack
- sleep timer
- remote control
- 17-1/8"W x 5-7/8"H x 12-15/16"D
- weight: 18.3 lbs.
- warranty: 2 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # TX-8160
What's in the box:
- Network stereo receiver
- Remote control (RC-903S)
- 2 "AAA" batteries
- AM loop antenna
- FM wire antenna
- Instruction Manual
- Product Registration/Warranty Information
More details on the Onkyo TX-8160
Features & specs
|Stereo RMS Power (watts)||80|
|THD in Stereo||0.08 %|
|Frequency Bandwidth (stereo)||20-20k Hz|
|FM Sensitivity||Not Given|
|Signal To Noise Ratio||106dB|
|Phono Signal to Noise Ratio||80dB|
|HD Radio Tuner||No|
|Total Number of Zones||2|
|Inputs & Outputs|
|USB Connections||Type-A (Front)|
|Ethernet Wired Network Port||---|
|Total Audio Inputs||7|
|Digital Audio Inputs||2 Optical / 2 coax|
|Speaker Output Pairs||2|
|Parts Warranty||2 Years|
|Labor Warranty||2 Years|
High-Current Discrete Amplifier: The Onkyo TX-8160 stereo receiver features a high-current discrete amplifier design with massive EI transformer. The stereo amplifier is rated at 80W x 2ch (8Ω, 20-20kHz, 0.08% THD). The stereo receiver's amplifier employs WRAT, H.C.P.S, Non-Phase-Shift, Closed Ground-Loop Circuits, and Optimum Gain Volume Circuitry or dynamic, detailed, clear sound.
- WRAT (Wide Range Amplifier Technology): This technology uses low-negative-feedback circuit topology for accurate signal reproduction, improved dynamic signal-to-noise ratio, and better delivery of power peaks.
- H.C.P.S. (High Current Power Supply): Under the anti-resonant cover of any Onkyo receiver, you'll instantly notice the High Current Power Supply (H.C.P.S.) transformer. With its huge, isolated power supply design and high-capacity filter capacitors, it delivers the large amounts of power necessary for reproducing the wide dynamics of movie soundtracks and the detail and clarity of your music.
- Non-Phase-Shift Amp Design: The receiver employs a Non-Phase-Shift amp design which prevents phase shift by pushing the roll-off point higher than the listening-level frequency. This creates a well-focuses and realistic audio image.
- Closed Ground-Loop Circuits: The TX-8160 employs a sophisticated closed-circuit design in which each circuit has a separate link to the power supply. This helps to cancel individual circuit noise and keep the ground potential free of distortion.
- Optimum Gain Volume Circuitry: Optimum Gain Volume Circuitry adjusts the gain so that less than half the amount of attenuation is needed, ensuring the signal never comes close to the noise floor. This protects the signal against noise, resulting in a dramatically clearer sound.
384kHz/32-bit Hi-Grade DAC: An Asahi Kasei AK4452 digital-to-analog converter (384kHz/32-bit) unlocks the full potential of any audio format with its unique low-distortion sound-enhancing filtering technologies.
Tone Control + Direct Mode: The Onkyo TX-8160 offers independent Bass (+/-10dB @ 50Hz) & Treble (+/-10 @ 20kHz) control to fine-tune your music. You can use the Direct feature that outputs pure sound as it was intended by bypassing the tone control circuits during playback.
Digital Inputs: The Onkyo stereo receiver features four digital audio inputs. There are two optical (toslink) digital inputs and two coaxial (RCA) digital inputs. The receiver's digital inputs support 2ch PCM audio signals only. Supported sampling rates include 32kHz, 44.1kHz, 48kHz, 88.2kHz, and 96kHz; with a bit-depth of 16-bit, 20-bit, or 24-bit.
Analog Inputs/Output + Phono (MM): There are seven stereo RCA inputs, including a Phono (MM) input with ground terminal. There is also a stereo RCA line output for connection of an audio recorder.
A & B Speaker Terminals: The Onkyo TX-8160 stereo receiver is equipped with A & B speaker terminals to connect up to two pair of speakers. The receiver uses binding post connectors for the A & B speaker outputs. The binding posts are not 5-way because a plastic collar prevents their use with spade lugs; they will accept bare wire, pin connectors, single banana plugs, and dual banana plugs.
Impedance Switch: If you're using only one of the speaker sets (A or B), choose the 4Ω setting if each speaker's impedance is 4Ω to less than 6Ω, or choose the 6Ω setting if each speaker's impedance is 6Ω or more. If you're using both of the speaker sets (A & B), choose the 4Ω setting if each speaker's impedance is 8 to 16Ω.
Subwoofer Pre-Out: The Onkyo TX-8160 stereo receiver is equipped with a mono subwoofer preamp output to connect a powered subwoofer.
Headphone Jack: When headphones are plugged into the full-size 1/4" jack on the front-panel, the A & B main speakers are automatically muted (the Powered Zone 2 speakers are not muted).
Zone 2: Zone 2 pre-outs on the TX-8160 allow you to send a stereo audio signal to a second room equipped with an amplifier and a pair of speakers. You can either enjoy the same source in both rooms, or play a different source in Zone 2. You can choose from analog, optical/coaxial digital inputs (PCM only), USB, Bluetooth, AirPlay, or Network sources. You are able to adjust the volume from either the Onkyo stereo receiver or from your Zone 2 integrated amplifier.
- With Network and Bluetooth sources, you cannot select different
inputs for the main room and separate room.
For example, if a Network source has been selected in the main room and then Bluetooth is selected as playback
source in the separate room, the input in the main room will change to Bluetooth accordingly. Furthermore, you cannot select separate network services (including AirPlay) for the main room and Zone 2.
- When listening to AM/FM radio broadcasting, you cannot select different stations for the main room and separate room. Therefore broadcasting of the same station will be heard in the both rooms.
- DSD not supported in Zone 2.
- With Network and Bluetooth sources, you cannot select different inputs for the main room and separate room.
Volume Setup: The Onkyo stereo receiver provides the following volume settings.
- IntelliVolume: With IntelliVolume, you can set the input level for each input (+/-12dB) selector individually. This is useful if one of your source components is louder or quieter than the others. This function does not work in Zone 2.
- Maximum Volume: Use this feature to set the receiver's maximum volume level. This feature is useful to avoid turning the volume too loud by mistake. You can set the Max Volume from 30-79 (max), or Off (disabled).
- Power On Volume: Use this feature to set the volume level when the power is turned on. You can choose between Last (same as the volume when the unit was turned off), Min (0), or 1-79.
Wired or Wireless Network Connection: The Onkyo TX-8160 stereo receiver supports a wired or wireless network connection. Via the receiver's network connection, you can enjoy music files stored on your computer and listen to internet radio through a variety of online services.
- Ethernet (LAN) Jack: The Onkyo stereo receiver is equipped with an Ethernet (RJ-45) jack for connecting the player to your home network and computer. Connecting the receiver's Ethernet port to a 100Base-TX switched Ethernet network is recommended for best results. Use a shielded CAT-5 Ethernet cable to connect the receiver to your home network.
- Built-in Wireless LAN: The stereo receiver also features built-in WiFi that allows you to wirelessly connect to your home network, so you can enjoy the benefits of a cable-free network environment. A wireless connection requires a home network with a WiFi-enabled access point (IEEE 802.11 b/g/n). Supports WPS, WEP, and WPA security.
Internet Radio: The Onkyo TX-8160 receiver lets you access various Internet Radio providers through its wired or wireless network connection. The TX-8160 will display station name and program-related information; such as artist name, song/album title, and elapsed playing time. You can preset up to 40 of your "favorite" Internet radio stations for easy recall.
|TuneIn||With more than 70,000 radio stations and 2 million on-demand programs registered, TuneIn is a service where you can enjoy music, sports and news from all over the world.|
|Pandora||Pandora is a free, personalized Internet radio service that plays the music you know and helps you discover music you'll love. You can select Internet radio stations by Artist, Song, or Genre.|
|Spotify Connect||If you subscribe to Spotify Premium and have the Spotify App on your Apple iOS or Android smartphone, you can stream Spotify to the Onkyo receiver. Spotify is a digital music service that gives you on-demand access to one of the largest music libraries in the world (over 15 million tracks and counting). Spotify makes it easier than ever to discover, manage, and share music with your friends. You can browse music by artist, album, track, or most popular; and create your own music library with customized playlists.|
|SiriusXM||SiriusXM Internet Radio lets you listen to over 120 channels of commercial-free music, talk radio, news, sports, and more.|
|Slacker||Slacker is a free, personalized Internet radio service that lets you choose the music you want to listen to. You can choose Internet radio stations by genre, or create custom station by Artist name or Song title.|
AirPlay Compatible: AirPlay lets you stream your favorite songs directly from your Apple iOS (4.3.3+) device or from your iTunes (10.2.2+) library on your Windows PC or Mac computer to the stereo receiver, over your home's wireless network connection. From your Apple iOS device you are able to stream stored music on your device, downloaded music apps, and music on your iCloud to the stereo receiver. From your Windows or Mac you can stream your stored iTunes music library on your computer to the stereo receiver; you can even download Apple's free Remote App onto your compatible iOS device to browse and control playback functions of the music stored in your iTunes music library on your computer that is being streamed to the stereo receiver. With AirPlay you also get to see song/artist information via the receiver's front-panel display.
Streaming Music Files: You can stream a variety music files from your Windows PC, DLNA-certified music server, or a USB mass storage class device. Compatible music file formats include MP3 (8-320kbps; 16-48kHz), WMA (47-320kbps), WMA Lossless (16/24-bit; 44.1-96kHz), WAV (8/16/24-bit; 8-192kHz), AAC (8-320kbps; 8-96kHz), FLAC (8/16/24-bit; 8-192kHz), Apple Lossless (16/24-bit; 8-96kHz), Ogg Vorbis (48-500kbps; 8-48kHz), DSD (2.8MHz/[5.6MHz DLNA only]), and LPCM (16-bit; 44-48kHz). You can control basic playback functions of your music library from the included remote control and receiver's front-panel display; such as Folder/File Select, Play/Pause, Stop, Fast Forward/Rewind, Previous/Next Track, and Repeat/Random. A total of 20,000 music files/folders is supported.
- DLNA Certified: Because the TX-8160 is DLNA certified, you can play back music files stored on your Windows PC (w/ Windows Media Player 11 or 12) or a DLNA (ver.1.5) compatible media server through the stereo receiver. Playback control can be done from the receiver's remote control or your DLNA-certified computer/server.
- USB Mass Storage Class: This stereo receiver is equipped with a front-panel USB (type-A) port that allows you to enjoy a variety of music files from a USB mass storage class memory device; such as your Android smartphone (Froyo/Gingerbread OS only), portable MP3 player, or USB thumbdrive (all formatted in FAT 16/32). USB portable audio players that can be charged via USB will be charged when plugged into the stereo receiver's USB port (5V/1A); even in standby mode. USB hubs and USB devices with hub functions are not supported. MP3 players containing music files that are managed with special music software are not supported. Apple iPod/iPhone/iPad and newer Android devices are not supported via USB.
AM/FM Tuner: With the built-in tuner you can enjoy AM and FM radio stations. You can store your favorite stations as presets for quick selection. You can store a combination of up to 40 of your favorite FM/AM radio stations as presets. You can also tune directly to a specific station by using the numeric keypad on the included remote control.
Firmware Updates: Future firmware updates are available from the Onkyo website through the receiver's Network or USB connection. Visit Onkyo's online Download Center for the latest firmware updates.
Built-in Bluetooth: The Onkyo TX-8160 features built-in Bluetooth (version 2.1+EDR) with support for profiles A2DP 1.2 and AVRCP 1.3. You'll be able to wirelessly stream music from your Bluetooth-enabled Apple iPod/iPhone/iPad, Android smartphone/tablet, Windows Phone/PC, or Mac laptop/computer to the Onkyo receiver. You will also be able to control basic playback functions (Play/Pause, FF/RW, Skip) using the receiver's remote control. Advanced music operation will still need to be handled from your Bluetooth-enable device. There is no song/artist information display on the receiver. Continue to use your Bluetooth device's screen to view song/artist info.
Note: Due to the differences in Bluetooth technology, some Bluetooth enabled devices may be incompatible, function improperly, or may not support all features when used with the Onkyo receiver.
Onkyo Remote App (for Apple iOS & Android): The Onkyo Remote App (from Apple's App Store & Google Play) allows you to operate the Onkyo stereo receiver from your Apple iOS (4.3+) or Android (2.1+) device, using your home's wireless network. The Onkyo Remote App lets you access Internet Radio stations, AM/FM stations, DLNA content, and Input sources right from your mobile device. Content information will be displayed on the device's touchscreen. You also get to adjust tone controls, listening modes, and speaker volume from your compatible Apple iOS or Android device. The Onkyo Remote App even allows you to wirelessly stream audio stored on your Apple iOS or Android device to the Onkyo receiver and lets you control audio output for Zone 2. The Onkyo stereo receiver and your compatible Apple iOS or Android device must be connected to the same home network.
IR Remote: The included IR remote control operates the stereo receiver & other compatible Onkyo components.
Remote Connections: The TX-8160 contains RI Control & IR Remote connections.
- IR Input/Output: The 3.5mm IR input jack allows you to control the receiver without line-of-sight access using an optional IR remote control system and locating the remote sensor in sight. The 3.5mm IR output jack allows you to send the control signals to an additional components.
- RI Remote Control Jack: The 1/8" RI remote control jack allows you to connect this receiver to other compatible Onkyo components.
Quick Access Presets: Get instant access to four of your favorite AM/FM or internet radio stations at the touch of a button. Four preset buttons on the receiver's front-panel can be programmed to go straight to the stations. You can even wake up the receiver from standby mode by pressing one of these buttons for instant radio.
Sleep Timer: From the remote, you can set the receiver to automatically turn off after as much as 90 minutes or as little as 10 minutes; choices are presented in 10 minute increments.
41 questions already asked