About the SIRIUS Starmate 4
The SIRIUS Starmate 4 satellite radio gets a sleek look to go with its compact size and long list of features. It stores the last 44 minutes of the channel you're listening to, and lets you pause, rewind, and fast forward live broadcasts. The easy-to-read display showcases artist, song title, and channel information with 5 lines of text.
Find all your favorites
You can scroll by channel, artist, or song title, and you can enter channel numbers directly. You can also save up to 30 of your favorite channels in the preset banks. The handy wireless remote gives you convenient system control. Save the names of up to 30 songs or artists, and S-Seek will tell you anytime one of them is playing across the SIRIUS dial. You can also save the name of your favorite sports teams, and the system will alert you whenever their games are starting.
SIRIUS through your factory radio
The built-in wireless FM transmitter broadcasts the SIRIUS signal over your vehicle's FM radio.*
You'll find the accessories needed to use the Starmate 4 in your vehicle packed in the box, including a suction-cup mount, a roof-mount antenna, and a DC power adapter. The optional home kit gives you SIRIUS playback over your home stereo.
Note: A subscription to SIRIUS is also required. Satellite radio service is available only within Canada and the lower 48 states not available in Hawaii or U.S. territories. Limited service is available in Alaska. Portable reception may vary by location. If you have questions about the proposed XM/SIRIUS merger, read the SIRIUS guarantee. To view this file, you will need the Adobe Acrobat PDF reader.
*Important note from Crutchfield: Current FCC rules limit the transmission strength of wireless FM transmitters to a point where transmission needs to take place very near your FM antenna. SIRIUS includes an FM extender cable in order to address this issue, but Crutchfield strongly encourages customers to use an auxiliary input, wired FM modulator, or cassette adapter to ensure your satisfaction with the performance and cosmetics of this satellite radio.
- plug-and-play SIRIUS radio
- internal memory continually stores the last 44 minutes of the channel you're listening to (memory resets when you change the channel or turn the power off)
- car accessories (antenna, suction-cup mount, DC power adapter)
- wireless remote
- built-in wireless FM transmitter
- transmits on any of 100 FM frequencies from 88.1 to 107.9
- 30 presets
- compatible with SIRIUS Universal Docking accessories
- S-Seek alerts you when any of 30 songs or artists you've saved plays anywhere on SIRIUS
- Game Alert notifies you when your favorite NFL team is playing
- 5-line LCD displays artist, song, and channel info
- clock, auto shutdown, sleep timer
- tuner dimensions: 5-1/16"W x 1-15/16"H x 1-1/16"D
- warranty: 90 days
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # ST4-TK1
What's in the box:
- Starmate 4 SIRIUS receiver
- Wireless remote control with CR2032 battery
- Vehicle docking station with detachable docking station adapter
- Cigarette lighter adapter
- Magnetic antenna with attached 21' cord with SMB connector
- 20' FM Extender Antenna using a right angle male minijack connector
- Suction cup mount
- Vent mount and extended vent hooks
- 2 Clear suction cups
- 3 Plastic self-adhesive clips
- Adhesive antenna tail cover
- 4 Mounting screws
- 2 Alcohol cleaner pads
- User Guide
- Installation Guide
- Installation Tips booklet
- SIRIUS station guide sheet
More details on the SIRIUS Starmate 4
Product Overview: The Sirius Starmate 4 is a portable plug-n-play Sirius Satellite Radio receiver. Along with the the Starmate 4 Sirius receiver, the package includes a wireless remote, magnetic antenna, FM extender antenna, cigarette lighter power adapter, an adjustable suction cup car mounting kit and vent mounting kit. An optional home kit (607SUPH1) is available for enjoying Sirius programming in your home or office.
Sirius Satellite Radio: Sirius Satellite Radio features more than 120 streams of original programming beamed coast-to-coast, including 65 streams of commercial-free, digital-quality music, plus news, talk, sports, entertainment, and children's programming.
Note: Satellite radio service is available only within the contiguous United States. Service is not available in Alaska and Hawaii.
FM Transmitter: The Starmate 4's built-in modulator allows you transmit Sirius radio programming to your vehicle's FM tuner, so you don't have to make any connections between the Sirius receiver and the radio. You can create a preset list of 5 suitable FM frequencies to use. You can select any frequency (in 0.2 MHz steps) between 88.1 MHz and 107.9 MHz. The FM modulator can be turned off if not in use.
Important Note from Crutchfield: Current FCC rules limit the transmission strength of wireless FM transmitters to a point where transmission needs to take place very near your FM antenna. Sirius includes extra wiring in order to address this issue, but Crutchfield strongly encourages customers to use an auxiliary input, wired FM modulator, or cassette adapter to ensure satisfaction with the performance and cosmetics of this satellite radio.
Direct Connection: Direct connection provides better audio performance than a wireless connection and removes the possibility of interference from local FM broadcasters. You can take advantage of the direct connection if your radio has an AUX IN or LINE IN to connect from the Starmate 4's mini-jack audio output.
Optional Cassette Adapter: You can also use an optional cassette adapter through the audio output of the Starmate 4 if your radio has a cassette player.
FM Direct Adapter: If your vehicle radio does not have an AUX or LINE IN or cassette player, you can use the optional SIRIUS FM Direct Adapter (607FMDA25) which provides a wired connection between your SIRIUS radio and your vehicle's radio, eliminating the outside static and interference you sometimes experience when using a wireless FM connection.
Display: The Starmate 4 tuner has a compact 4-line display. The Default screen displays the Channel Name and Number on the top line, the artist name on the second line, the song title on the third line, and the signal strength meter, channel category, clock, and preset bank on the fourth line. Momentarily pressing the display button changes the artist and song title to a large, scrolling one line display. Holding the display button for 1.5 seconds enters the channel list mode, making it easy to quickly search for music by category, artist, and song title. You can manually adjust the display's contrast and brightness controls for best viewing.
Search Modes: This unit gives you several ways to search for and select music or other programming:
- Channel: Scroll through each channel in numerical order
- Category: Scroll through each of the categories (Pop, Rock, Country, Hip-Hop, R&B/Urban, Electronic/Dance, Jazz/Standards, Classical, Latin & World)
- Artist: Scroll through the artist names of currently playing songs
- Song Title: Scroll through the titles of currently playing songs
Preset Tuning: The tuner allows you to store 30 presets in 3 separate banks (A, B, and C) of ten channels each. Preset channels can be tuned directly by selecting a preset band and pressing the preset number on the numeric keypad (unit or remote). While in the Preset Tuning mode, you can view the list of presets showing channel name, artist name, or song title.
Direct Tuning: You can directly enter the 3-digit channel numbers using the number keys on the Starmate 4 or the remote.
Memory Function (Memo): The Memo function allows you to capture and store information about the programming (artist/song info or sports team) on the currently tuned channel, up to 30 listings.
S-Seek: Once you have stored artist/song title information in memory, you can activate the S-Seek function to search for, and audibly alert you whenever the artist/song is playing on an incoming channel.
Game Alert: Once you have stored team information in memory, you can activate the Game Alert to search for, and audibly alert you whenever a programmed team is playing on an incoming channel.
Game Zone: This feature displays a list of the current sport matches that are on SIRIUS.
Jump Button: The Jump button is used to quickly tune to a channel that is accessed frequently and temporarily such as a traffic channel, a weather channel, a news channel, a sports channel or your favorite channel. Pressing the Jump button allows you to quickly tune to the specific channel you have programmed into the Jump button, and then tune back to the original channel by pressing the Jump button again. In the menu you can set the Jump button to provide a Traffic report instead.
Signal Indicator: You can check the strength of the Sirius satellite signal being received. When locating the antenna in your home, you should place the antenna in a spot that illuminates the maximum number of bars on the meter.
Instant Replay: You can record the audio of a channel for playback later. As soon as you tune to a channel the receiver starts storing the audio, enabling you to rewind and replay at any time. Once you start playing again, you can fast forward through anything you don't want to hear. You can store approximately 30 to 60 minutes of audio depending upon the channel to which you are tuned is stored.
FM Preset Button: The tuner has a special button called the FM Preset button, which turns on the built-in FM transmitter and begins transmitting on the next frequency from the FM frequency preset list.
Audio Level: The Audio Level setting adjusts the level of the audio output to the radio.
Parental Control: The Starmate 4 has the ability to lockout the use of any channel you do not want accessed without your permission. The locked channel will not appear when the user changes channels with the channel switch. When the user tries to directly access a locked channel, the "Enter Code" screen will be displayed, and the channel will not be accessed until the proper code is entered.
Time-Based Functions: The tuner has a built-in clock with the time data provided by the Sirius signal. The clock can be set for time zone and observance of Daylight Saving Time. Once the clock data is set, you can activate the following functions:
- Alarm: Built-in alarm clock turns on the unit at a specific time
- Program Alert: Tunes to a specific channel at a specific time
- Auto Shutdown: Automatically turns off at a specific time
- Sleep Mode: Set to turn off after a selected period of time, 15, 30, 45, or 60 minutes
Receiver Front Panel:
- Power: Turns the receiver on/off
- Rewind: Rewind broadcast recorded in Instant Replay
- Play/Pause: Pause recording or live broadcast
- Fast Forward: Fast forward broadcast recorded in Instant Replay
- Memo: Captures and stores the current program data information
- Display: Changes display options
- Select: Selects the highlighted option on the screen
- Channel Up/Down: Navigates through channels and display screens and highlights on the display
- Category Previous/Next: Changes category group
- Number Keys (0-9): Select preset or channel number directly
- Band: Cycles through the 3 stream preset banks (A, B, and C)
- FM Preset: Selects FM frequency for built-in FM modulator
- Jump: Change from current channel to favorite channel
- Menu: Accesses the menu options (user setup menu)
Remote Control: In addition to offering all the controls on the receiver's front panel, the remote adds mute and volume control. Dimensions: Length = 4.145", Width = 1.625", Height = 0.615".
Bottom Side: The Starmate 4 has proprietary connection on the bottom side of the receiver that plugs into the included car kit or optional home kit. All other connections are found on either the supplied vehicle dock or optional home dock.
Overview: The supplied car kit includes everything you need to install the Sirius Starmate 4 tuner into your vehicle. The kit contains a vehicle docking station, docking adapter, suction cup mounting bracket, vent mount brackets, DC power supply (cigarette lighter), and roof-mount magnetic antenna. The Starmate 4 Tuner slides down into the vehicle docking station which then mounts to either of the supplied brackets with four mounting screws. The bracket's suction cup holds the unit firmly to the windshield or the vent mounting clip attaches the unit to one of your air vents.
Antenna: The low-profile Sirius antenna has a powerful magnetic base that allows you to mount the antenna on the roof or trunk lid of your vehicle. The antenna needs to be positioned in such a way that it will be free of mechanical and line-of-sight obstructions. The antenna' s dimensions are: Diameter = 2.182", Height = 0.438"; Cable Length = 21'.
Note: The attached micro cable has a single SMB connector, which plugs into the vehicle docking station.
FM Extender Antenna: The FM Extender Antenna is provided to maximize the audio quality of your Sirius radio when using the built-in FM transmitter in your Sirius tuner to transmit the audio to your vehicle's FM radio. The FM Extender Antenna should be placed inside the vehicle in close proximity to the your vehicle's factory FM antenna. The FM Extender Antenna has permanent adhesive mounts for installing it along your vehicle's window. The Antenna portion measures 18" long and utilizes an attached 18.5' cord to route the antenna through your vehicle. The cord has a right angle minijack connector on the end of it that plugs into the FM-Out on back of the car docking station.
Suction Cup Mount: The supplied mounting bracket features a 2.85" diameter suction cup which will mount the receiver and the vehicle dock securely to the windshield. The bracket features an adjustable "elbow" and a ball socket joint, allowing you to install the receiver at virtually any angle.
Vent Mount: The supplied vent mount bracket allows you to mount the receiver and the vehicle dock securely to one of your air vents.
Compatibility with Optional Pro-Fit Brackets: The car kit docking station is directly compatible with the Legend series (adjustable ball/socket joint) Pro-Fit Vehicle-Specific Mounts (VSMs). When used with the Pro-Fit easy swivel adapter (item number 042EZ1026), the docking station will work with the standard (fixed) Pro-Fit VSMs, as well. Please, check the Crutchfield Vehicle Selector for a Pro-Fit VSM that's compatible with your vehicle.
Note: The Pro-Fit easy swivel adapter (item number 042EZ1026) must be used in conjunction with the standard (fixed) Pro-Fit mounts to provide clearance for the DC and Audio plugs on the back of the docking station.
Connections: The vehicle docking station features the following connections.
- DC 5V Input: Power input for supplied cigarette lighter adapter or optional AC adapter (supplied with home kit)
- FM Output: 2.5mm SubMini jack FM output for use with supplied FM Extender Antenna or optional wired FM switch box accessory
- Antenna: Single female SMB connector for attaching supplied Sirius antenna
- Audio Output: 3.5mm mini jack line output
- Audio Output: 2.0 volts normal, 2.8 volts maximum
- Total Harmonic Distortion (THD): Less than 0.2%
- Signal-to-Noise Ratio (S/N): Greater than 73dB
- Receiver Weight: 3.2 ounces
- Satellite Frequencies: 2322.293/2330.207 MHz
- Terrestrial Frequencies: 2326.250 MHz
- Power Requirements: 5 Volts, Negative Ground, DC
- Fuse Requirement: 2A ATC