About the Marantz NA6005
Streaming audio with Marantz sound quality
Streaming audio with Marantz sound quality
If you've been looking for a convenient way to listen to your favorite digital music sources while enjoying superior-quality sound, check out the Marantz NA6005. This versatile network music player comes packed with an impressive checklist of features, including high-resolution audio playback, built-in Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, and Apple AirPlay wireless streaming, plus Marantz's time-honored tradition of audiophile design and construction. We think this is one impressive performer, and an amazing value our digital music-enthusiast customers will appreciate.
Wi-Fi, Apple AirPlay, and Bluetooth on board
The NA6005 offers lots of ways to enjoy digital tunes from various sources. For starters, you can simply plug in your iPhone or iPod to the front-panel USB port, and hear your digital library sound newly refreshed as this player's audiophile digital-to-analog converter unlocks new detail and depth for a more dynamic, involving listening experience.
Of course when it comes to music listening, it's hard to beat the convenience of wireless streaming. That's why the NA6005 lets you start playing your music easily and quickly. Built-in Wi-Fi connects to your wireless home network to stream music from computers, music servers, and Internet radio, as well as online music services like Spotify®, Pandora®, and SiriusXM, without running an Ethernet cable from your router. But if a wired connection suits your needs, there's an Ethernet port on the rear panel, too.
Apple AirPlaylets you stream music from your iPhone® or iPad®. If you have a networked computer running iTunes®, you can also use AirPlay to send music from your music library to the NA6005 for playback. If your iPhone or iPad is connected to the same network as your computer, you can use the Apple Remote app to control iTunes playback. Even without AirPlay or Wi-Fi, you can enjoy instant wireless music streaming over Bluetooth from any compatible smartphone, tablet, or computer.
There's a time and place for MP3s, but high-resolution music files offer unrivaled sound quality. The NA6005 can play high-res files with sampling rates up to 24-bit/192kHz, for sound that can exceed CD quality. You can stream these files over your network, or load them onto a thumb drive for playback through the front-panel USB port. This versatile component also plays DSD files from your music server server, or a USB thumb drive. An optical digital input offers high-quality digital audio conversion with compatible CD players and other digital sources.
The sound is in the details
The NA6005's superb sound is about more than just the Cirrus Logic DAC. Its output stage uses Marantz's Hyper Dynamic Amplifier Modules, which ensure highly accurate, detailed sound is passed along to your amp or receiver. Build quality is what we always expect from Marantz — both solid and elegant, with a metal front panel, extra metal bottom plate, and large feet to minimize vibrations that can introduce distortion into the signal.
App control for iOS® and Android™
When you connect the NA6005 to your home network, you can control the player using your smartphone or tablet via Wi-Fi. Download the free Marantz Remote app to your Apple® or Android device and explore its intuitive interface as you explore your digital music collection with this great-sounding player.
- plays digital music from computers, music servers, and online services with your home stereo system
- Cirrus Logic CS4398 DAC (digital-to-analog converter) for high-performance playback of digital music
- built-in Wi-Fi for easy connection to a wireless home network
- Bluetooth wireless connectivity for streaming music from compatible smartphones, tablets, and computers
- dual-diversity antennas and dual-band "N" technology ensure solid, stable Bluetooth and Wi-Fi streaming
- Apple AirPlay for streaming music from an iPhone, iPod touch, iPad or iTunes on your computer
- DLNA 1.5 certified for streaming music wirelessly from compatible computers and network-attached storage (NAS) drives
- includes support for Pandora, vTuner Internet radio, and SiriusXM (subscription required for SiriusXM)
- Spotify Connect lets you play Spotify's streaming music library via Wi-Fi, controlled by your smartphone or tablet (requires Spotify app and a premium subscription)
- high-resolution playback of DSD, FLAC, WAV, AIFF, and ALAC files; also plays MP3, WMA, and AAC files
- up to 24-bit/192kHz resolution for PCM files; up to 5.6MHz resolution for DSD files
- front-panel USB input for connecting an iPod, iPhone, or thumb drive
- direct digital connection for iPod or iPhone bypasses the device's digital-to-analog converter for better sound
- output stage uses Marantz's latest generation Hyper Dynamic Amplifier Modules (HDAM) for low noise and lifelike sound
- free Marantz Remote app available for Apple and Android devices
- gapless playback with FLAC, ALAC, WAV, AIFF, and DSD files
- AM/FM radio tuner
- remote control
Connections and Dimensions:
- stereo analog RCA outputs
- optical digital audio input
- optical digital audio output
- Ethernet port
- front-panel USB input (Type A) for connecting an iPod or compatible USB memory device
- discrete headphone amplifier with 1/4" output and volume control
- IR flasher input for use with external controllers
- detachable power cord
- 17-3/8"W x 4-3/16"H x 15-1/4"D
- weight: 13.23 lbs.
- warranty: 3 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # NA6005
What's in the box:
- Network audio player
- 6' AC power cord
- Remote control (RC004NA)
- 2 "AAA" batteries
- 2 Bluetooth/WiFi antennas
- FM wire antenna
- AM loop antenna
- 42" Stereo RCA cable
- 29" Mono-RCA remote control cable
- Owner's Manual on CD-ROM
- Quick Start Guide
- Safety Instructions
- Notes on Radio
- Warranty Information (US/CA)
More details on the Marantz NA6005
Audiophile Construction: The Marantz NA6005 network audio player features a substantial chassis with dual-layer construction. Instead of having just one large circuit board, the NA6005 features multiple individual circuit cards to prevent mutual interference; even the headphone output features its own dedicated circuit board. Inside, the NA6005 is packed with premium grade active and passive components, including multiple high speed, high current Shottky barrier diodes that boast super fast recovery times and high reverse current protection, plus audiophile grade capacitors and precision tight tolerance resistors.
Exclusive HDAM Technology: The NA6005' audio circuitry employs Marantz's exclusive HDAM and HDAM-SA2 in a hybrid configuration to achieve low noise and high speed. Marantz developed these HDAM discrete circuit boards to replace standard IC's. The HDAM's consists of discrete surface mount components with short mirror image L/R signal paths. Those devices are doing exactly the same thing as the Op-Amps, but outperform the regular IC Op-amps dramatically in terms of the Slew Rate and reduced noise level, resulting in a much more dynamic, accurate and detailed sound.
Cirrus Logic D/A Converter: The Marantz NA6005 employs a Cirrus Logic advanced D/A converter (CS4398) for superb high-fidelity audio playback (2Hz-96kHz). The Cirrus CS4398 stereo D/A Converter offers several advantages. An advanced multi-bit Delta-Sigma architecture handles 24-bit/192kHz digital signals, and boasts extraordinary dynamic range (up to 106db) as well as equally exceptional signal-to-noise performance (up to 110dB) so your digital music files provide the warmth, detail, and resolution you demand.
Digital Connectivity: An optical (toslink) digital output is provided for connection to your home theater receiver or other component. The unit's optical (toslink) digital input lets you use the NA6005 as a DAC with other digital audio sources. The optical (toslink) digital connections support Linear PCM signals (stereo) with sampling frequencies of 32, 44.1, 48, 65, 88.2, 96, 176.4, & 192 kHz.
Analog Outputs: The NA6005 network audio player is also fitted with analog stereo RCA outputs for connection to your home theater receiver, stereo receiver, or integrated amplifier.
Full-Discrete Headphone Amp: The NA6005 also employs a high-quality dedicated headphone amplifier, which features its own output stage that's also equipped with HDAM-SA2 devices along with a precision variable analog volume control.
Wired or Wireless Network Connection: The Marantz NA6005 network audio player offers a wired (via Ethernet) or wireless (via WiFi) connection to your home network. Either network connection gives the unit access to your DLNA music server, Internet Radio, various online music services, and AirPlay.
- Wired (Ethernet): The Marantz NA6005 is fitted with a RJ-45 Ethernet (LAN) port to connect the unit to your home network.
- Wireless (WiFi): The WiFi section features dual band "N" high speed auto-band switching technology that constantly seeks out the optimum channels to ensure smooth and glitch-free listening. Via the WPS and iOS WiFi protected setup buttons, you can connect your device with the NA6005 in moments.
DLNA 1.5 Certified: The NA6005 is DLNA (Digital Living Network Alliance) 1.5 and Windows 7/8 (Windows Media Player 11/12) compliant for audio and photo networking. This means it's easier for you to access and enjoy digital music stored on your Windows PC. You can use your PC to play high-bit rate music content through the network audio player, and browse your PC's music files from the included remote control. The network audio player also supports ID3-Tag (ver.2) and META tag information; so song title, artist name, and album name can be displayed on the unit's front-panel display. The Marantz NA6005 supports the following audio formats, sampling frequencies, and bit rates via its wired network connection.
|Compatible Audio Formats||Sampling Frequencies||Bit Rate/Depth||Extension|
|WMA (Windows Media Audio)||32/44.1/48 kHz||48-192 kbps||.wma|
|MP3 (MPEG-1 Audio Layer-3)||32/44.1/48 kHz||32-320 kbps||.mp3|
|WAV||32/44.1/48/88.2/96/176.4/192 kHz||16/24 bits||.wav|
|MPEG-4 AAC||32/44.1/48 kHz||16-320 kbps||.aac/.m4a/.mp4|
|FLAC (Free Lossless Audio Codec)||32/44.1/48/88.2/96/176.4/192 kHz||16/24 bits||.flac|
|ALAC||32/44.1/48/88.2/96 kHz||16/24 bits||.m4a|
|AIFF||32/44.1/48/88.2/96/176.4/192 kHz||16/24 bits||.aif/.aiff|
|DSD||2.8/5.6 MHz||1 bit||.dsf/.dff|
Note: Your computer must meet the following system requirements - Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service or Windows Media DRM10.
Online Services: The Marantz NA6005 lets you access Internet Radio, as well as other online music services from your broadband Internet connection. Currently the NA6005 supports Internet Radio from vTuner, Pandora, SiriusXM, and Spotify Connect (as of 6/11/2015). The Marantz network audio player offers front-panel display and remote control over these web services.
|Online Services|| |
|vTuner||The online vTuner service which offers easy browsing of internet radio stations and podcasts. vTuner enables access to web-based radio stations and podcasts via an extremely reliable online database with a wide variety of content. Internet Radio stations in MP3 (32-320kbps), WMA (48-192kbps), and AAC (16-320kbps) format are supported. You can browse content by Genre, Location, Language, and Favorites. You can store up to 56 Internet Radio stations as presets. The unit will automatically save up to 20 of the most recently played stations.|
|Pandora (requires firmware update)||Once the network audio player is registered with your Pandora account, you can listen to the automated music recommendation and Internet Radio service. You can create up to 100 personalized radio stations. You can sort tracks within these radio stations. You can skip up to 6 tracks that are being played back within 1 hour. You can also thumbs-up/thumbs-down and bookmark tracks. In Pandora, you can search for the track name or artist name using "keyword" searches. When the search is complete, tracks that have a similar rhythm or sound are streamed.|
|SiriusXM||SiriusXM Internet Radio lets you listen to over 120 channels of commercial-free music, talk radio, news, sports, entertainment, and more. Subscription required.|
|Spotify Connect||If you subscribe to Spotify Premium and have the Spotify App on your Apple iOS or Android smartphone, you can stream Spotify the Marantz network player. Spotify is a digital music service that gives you on-demand access to one of the largest music libraries in the world (over 15 million tracks and counting). Spotify makes it easier than ever to discover, manage, and share music with your friends. You can browse music by artist, album, track, or most popular; and create your own music library with customized playlists.|
AM/FM Tuner: The Marantz network audio player features a built-in AM/FM tuner with 50 station auto-preset memory tuning. You can also set your presets manually.
Web Control: You can control this network audio player from a web control screen on your Windows PC's web browser. The NA6005 and your PC must be connected to the same home network.
Software Updates: Using the NA6005's network/internet connection, you can check for and update the latest firmware from the online Marantz server. Visit Marantz's Owner's Circle for access to downloads to keep the Marantz network audio player up-to-date.
AirPlay Compatible: The Marantz NA6005 network audio player is compatible with Apple's AirPlay technology. With AirPlay, the NA6005 can connect wirelessly to any AirPlay-enabled Apple device. This allows you to stream music wirelessly from your iPod touch, iPhone, iPad, or your computer's (Mac or PC) iTunes library; via your WiFi network.
- iTunes Streaming: The NA6005 network audio player is able to stream audio from your computer's iTunes account via AirPlay technology. When connected to the same network as a computer running iTunes, the NA6005 can appear as an output option in the pop-up menu at the bottom of the iTunes window. You can then browse your iTunes collection on your computer & stream music to the Marantz network audio player. You will need a Mac or Windows-based PC running iTunes (10.2.2 or later) connected to the same network as the NA6005.
- Apple Device Streaming: AirPlay also lets you wirelessly stream music and music apps stored on your iPod touch, iPhone, or iPad to the Marantz NA6005. So there's no need to dock your Apple device, unless you want to charge it. You will need an iPod touch, iPhone, or iPad (running iOS 4.3 or later) connected to the same network as the NA6005.
- Apple Remote App: Using the Apple Remote App (free download from iTunes) on your iPod touch, iPhone, or iPad and your wireless home network, you don't even need to be in the same room as the components or your computer to play, pause, skip, and stop the songs in your iTunes music library. You will even see the iTunes music information, including your track titles & artist info on your Apple device. You will need an iPod touch, iPhone, or iPad (running iOS 7.0 or later) connected to the same wireless network as the NA6005.
Note: The NA6005 network audio player, your computer (mac/windows), and your Apple device (iPod touch/iPhone/iPad) must all be connected to the same home network.
iPod/iPhone Direct Connect: The unit's front-panel USB (type-A) port can also be used to directly connect your Apple iPod, iPhone, or iPad. The Marantz NA6005 supports audio playback, music navigation, information display, and charging of select Apple devices. The Marantz NA6005 offers the following iPod/iPhone/iPad functions.
- USB DAC Bypass: The USB connection features digital audio signal handling, which bypass the iPod's DAC and routes the digital signal to the NA6005 's 24 bit/192 kHz audiophile quality D/A converters for optimum fidelity.
- Audio Playback: You can listen to music files from your iPod/iPhone by simply connecting the iPod/iPhone/iPad to the NA6005 's front-panel USB port using the Dock- or Lightning-to-USB cable that came with your Apple device.
- Music Browsing: You can choose to operate your connected iPod/iPhone from the NA6005 's front-panel controls and remote control, or from your iPod/iPhone's clickwheel or touchscreen. The Marantz NA6005 lets you browse by Playlist, Artist, Album, Song, Podcast, Genre, Composer, or Audiobook. It also offers Play/Pause, Stop, Skip/Back, Repeat, and Random functions.
- Song/Artist Info: The Marantz Network Audio Player will display Track #, Elapsed playing time; as well as Song, Artist, and Album name. You can also choose to view the music information on your iPod, iPhone, or iPad.
- Charging: The NA6005 will charge (5V/1A) your connected iPod or iPhone when the network audio player is powered up or in standby mode. This unit does not charge the iPad.
Apple Device Compatibility Chart: The Marantz NA6005 is "Made for iPod/iPhone compatible" and supports the following specific iPod/iPhone models (as of 6/12/2015):
|Apple Device||Generation||Tested Version||Connection Type||Media Type||Control Type||Display Type||Charge|
|USB||AirPlay||Bluetooth||Audio||Video||Remote||iPod/iPhone||Artist/Song Text||Track Info|
Note: Apple iPod/iPhone software updates may change functionality results. If you download a newer software version, you may need to reset the head unit and your iPod/iPhone to regain functionality. If this doesn't work, you may need to wait until a newer software update is available.
Front-Panel USB Port: The network audio player is equipped with a front-panel USB (type-A) port that allows you to enjoy a variety of music files from a USB mass storage class memory device; such as your Android smartphone (Froyo/Gingerbread OS only), digital audio player, or USB thumbdrive. Compatible USB storage devices must be formatted in FAT 16 or FAT32. The unit can recognize up to 500 folders/5,000 files. You can use the player's front-panel display and remote control to navigate your stored music files on your connected USB memory device. Song/artist information will display on the unit's front-panel display. USB portable audio devices that can be charged via USB will be charged when plugged into the player's USB port (5V/1A); even in standby mode.
Compatible Audio Formats: The NA6005 supports the following audio formats, sampling frequencies, and bit rates via its front-panel USB (MSC/MTP) & rear-panel USB (Windows/Mac) ports.
Compatible Audio Formats Sampling Frequencies Bit Rate/Depth Extension WMA (Windows Media Audio) 32/44.1/48 kHz 48-192 kbps .wma MP3 (MPEG-1 Audio Layer-3) 32/44.1/48 kHz 32-320 kbps .mp3 WAV 32/44.1/48/88.2/96/176.4/192 kHz 16/24 bits .wav MPEG-4 AAC 32/44.1/48 kHz 16-320 kbps .aac/.m4a/.mp4 FLAC (Free Lossless Audio Codec) 32/44.1/48/88.2/96/176.4/192 kHz 16/24 bits .flac ALAC 32/44.1/48/88.2/96 kHz 16/24 bits .m4a AIFF 32/44.1/48/88.2/96/176.4/192 kHz 16/24 bits .aif/.aiff DSD 2.8/5.6 MHz 1-bit .dsf/.dff
Note: Copyright-protected files cannot be played.
USB Smart Charging: Featuring USB smart charging, when a device such as a smartphone or tablet is connected to the NA6005's USB port and the NA6005 is put into standby, it continues to charge the device. Once the device is fully charged, the NA6005 enters very low power standby mode for minimal power consumption (less than 0.5 watt).
Built-in Bluetooth: The Marantz NA6005 features built-in Bluetooth (version 2.1+EDR) with support for profiles A2DP 1.2 and AVRCP 1.4. You'll be able to wirelessly stream music from your Bluetooth-enabled Apple iPod/iPhone/iPad, Android smartphone/tablet, Windows Phone/PC Mac computer/laptop and more to the Marantz network audio player. You will also be able to control basic playback functions (Play/Pause & Previous/Next Track) using the included remote control. Advanced music operation will still need to be handled from your Bluetooth-enable device. Song/Artist information is displayed on the player's front-panel LCD (there is no Album Art). Up to eight Bluetooth devices can be remembered by the NA6005, so family members as well as friends can enjoy their favorite tracks.
Note: Due to the differences in Bluetooth technology, some Bluetooth enabled devices may be incompatible, function improperly, or may not support all features when used with the Marantz network audio player.
Marantz HiFi Remote App: The Marantz Remote App (from Apple's App Store or Google Play) lets you control the Marantz network audio receiver using your Apple iOS (7.0+) or Android (4.0+) device. This free-to-download app allows you to operate the network audio player using your mobile device's touchscreen, giving you complete control over playback functions & source selection. You can even search your network source's music libraries from your Apple iOS or Android device.
- Basic Functions: Control basic functions of the network audio receiver like power, volume, input, and settings.
- Music Browsing: From the app on your Apple iOS or Android devices, you can easily browse and navigate through your network music services or personal digital music collection with ease; and at the same time view "Now Playing' information and cover art all on a single screen.
- Create Playlists: The app on your smartphone or table, even lets you build your own personal music playlists on the fly with the ability to Drag & Drop files into your queue from your music server or music files on your mobile device. You can then save your queue as a playlist for easy recall.
Wireless Remote Control: The Marantz NA6005 includes an IR remote control for wireless operation of the network audio player and its various sources; like Internet Radio, DLNA audio, Bluetooth, USB, or iPod/iPhone.
Remote Connections: The Marantz NA6005 is fitted with the following custom remote inputs/outputs.
- Remote In/Out: These RCA input/output connectors allow you to connect the NA6005 to a Marantz component equipped with remote control (RC-5) terminals.
- Flasher In: This 3.5mm input is used to control the NA6005 from an external key-pad (sold separately).
Favorites: The Favorite function allows you to register your favorite stations and files in the Favorite List in advance so that you can call and listen to the stations or files right away. The contents that you can register and call are Internet radio station, music server, USB and iPod. You can register up to 50 items in the Favorite List.
Gapless Playback: The NA6005 supports gapless audio playback with WAV, FLAC, ALAC, AIFF and DSD file types.
Front-Panel Display Dimmer: The Marantz network audio player features 4 display settings for the front-panel LCD window; 100%, 70%, 40%, and Off. You can the front-panel LCD to display English, French, or Spanish text.
Sleep Timer: This function allows you to automatically set the power to standby after a predetermined amount of time has passed; set the sleep timer up to 90 minutes in 10 minute increments.
Auto-Standby: If there is no input signal or operation for 5/15/60 minutes, the Marantz network audio player will automatically go into Standby mode.
Q Crutchfield asked: Why did you buy this?
5 questions already asked